PDA

View Full Version : Director Loses Movie Deal Due to Vulgar SNL skit about Glenn

sodascouts
08-28-2008, 12:41 PM
Some of you might have seen the Saturday Night Live sketch called "The H is O" a few years ago. It consisted of vulgar nonsense, with Will Farrell playing Glenn Frey (ha! he wishes he looked half as good as Glenn!) as a homosexual sadist who gets off on sexually abusing other men. ::shudder::

Well, the guy who directed that sketch, Adam McKay, actually lost a movie deal because of it.

From Philadephia Daily News (http://www.philly.com/philly/entertainment/20080725_FERRELL_CAT.html):

"[McKay's movie] almost didn't get off the ground - in script form, 'Anchorman' was turned down by nearly every reputable studio, and had one memorable false start.

'We had a green light at one point, until one of the executives saw a short film that I'd done that had Ben Stiller being sexually assaulted by Glenn Frey. Thirty seconds after he saw it, he called to say he didn't want to be in business with us.'"

Serves him right, if you ask me!

glenneaglesfan
08-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh, I've seen this reference on Wikipedia and wondered what mentality that director had. Even if he gets backing for his movie, I'll be giving it a miss.

DonFan
08-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Those executives were right on target! Serves the jerk right!

GlennLover
08-28-2008, 03:09 PM
I was repulsed when I saw the skit :nausea:. How anyone could ever connect Glenn & a homosexual & sadistic act is beyond me :mad:. Regardless of who it was about, it was indeed vulgar!

kmbear
09-05-2008, 05:14 AM
How bizarre! Didn't see the skit, but it just seems so weird that they would do that. I mean, why Glenn? I wonder if they just picked his name out of a hat or what. Glad the movie executives made such a quick response.

What happened to SNL? It used to be such a good program - now it just seems to lack judgment. (A rhetorical question, no need to answer it.) Feel free to answer the 'Why Glenn?' question, though.

Karen (I'm new)

TimothyBFan
09-05-2008, 07:32 AM
Welcome Karen--Is Glenn your fave Eagle also? He seems to have the monopoly here. :hilarious:Feel free to join in often.:)

glenneaglesfan
09-05-2008, 10:46 AM
Welcome to the Border from me too, Karen! I hope you will have some fun here with fellow Eagles fans!

I haven't a clue why they should have picked on Glenn, a happily married father of three. Some past grudge perhaps?

ticky
09-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Hey Kim!
and welcome!

sodascouts
09-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Welcome Karen!

Adam McKay once said he picked Glenn because he was a founding Eagle and that it was a "punk rock thing." You know, the idea that they're egotistical sell-outs with no musical integrity or that kind of lame crap. I think Glenn got targeted rather than Don because McKay wanted to incorporate the whole Miami Vice thing and make fun of musicians who get into acting.

Whatever.

In the early 90s, I loved watching SNL - Mike Meyers, Dana Carvey, Phil Hartman, Adam Sandler.... it was terrific. In the last ten years, however, it has been steadily going downhill - relying more on potty humor and vulgarity than intelligent satire. As a result, I've completely lost interest in it.

[Glenn] seems to have the monopoly here. :hilarious:

I don't know, seems like lately some diversification has been taking place! lol

Glennsallnighter
09-07-2008, 06:00 PM
I've only just seen this thread now! Dunno how I missed it before, tho it might have been started when I had other things on my mind a few weeks ago. I too read about that skit on Wikipedia, but again, discounted it immediately. I would have no desire to see it. How Dare ANYONE feel that they have the right to cast Glenn :heart: or indeed any other man in such a role, when it is blatently untrue. He is lucky Glenn :heart: did not sue for defamation of character. I'm delighted McKays movie was rejected. It deserved to be. If it or any other movie directed by this jerk is ever aired I too will be avoiding it like the plague.

Oh, Welcome from me too:) Karen!

sodascouts
09-07-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, I don't know about a lawsuit - these parodies and skits can pretty much say whatever they want and it's understood that they're not to be taken literally.

Glennsallnighter
09-07-2008, 08:32 PM
Well, I don't know about a lawsuit - these parodies and skits can pretty much say whatever they want and it's understood that they're not to be taken literally.

I suppose I don't mean that but if I were Glenn :heart: I would want to be vindicated and at least get an apology. I'll laugh at myself, Glenn :heart: and plenty of others and would allow them laugh at me but that skit just sounded a bit 'below the belt' if you pardon the expression!!

sodascouts
09-07-2008, 08:43 PM
Well, if it helps, McKay said his own mother wouldn't talk to him for two weeks after that skit aired because even she thought he had gone too far.

(I can see it now: "I didn't raise you to write trash like that!" lol)

GlennLover
09-08-2008, 12:04 AM
I viewed this online through some link when I was searching for items on Glenn (for my own personal research, of course) :wink:. There was no way I would watch such trash again.

Glennsallnighter
09-08-2008, 06:49 AM
Well we all need to do our research I suppose GL:wink:

GlennLover
09-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Yes GA, we do need to research carefully, but if I had known what the skit was like I wouldn't have gone there. However, we can't leave any stone unturned when it come to doing research on Glenn, can we :wink: ? We wouldn't want to miss anything good!

FreyMeToTheMoon
05-17-2013, 06:47 PM
Have, have you guys seen this video? It's good to see Glenn Frey not being afraid to poke some fun at himself and his image. He's the best!:yay:

http://vimeo.com/14836322

Freypower
05-19-2013, 01:30 AM
Have, have you guys seen this video? It's good to see Glenn Frey not being afraid to poke some fun at himself and his image. He's the best!:yay:

http://vimeo.com/14836322

See previous comments. It has nothing to do with Glenn Frey. If you thought that was him, it was not.

zeldabjr
05-19-2013, 01:36 AM
yeah I don't think Glenn had anything to do with that skit...there's a saying...something like...there's no such thing as bad publicity...not sure if Glenn would agree with that in this case...

OutlawManNJ
05-19-2013, 02:21 AM
Oh come on guys, I thought it was kinda funny. I cant believe some producer thought that was so outrageous he canceled a project...I mean really? After Pulp Fiction in 94 anything goes! That was nothing!

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-19-2013, 02:22 AM
Wait, that's the guy that directed Anchorman!? That's one of my favorite movies!

This was funny, but yeah I don't get either why they picked him. I gasped at the "better than Joe Walsh" line! Wow, ballsy.

Topkat
05-19-2013, 08:37 AM
Most actors consider it an honor to have a skit about them on SNL...It was pretty dumb, but people know this has nothing to do with reality....
They said there the reason they picked Frey was to add the Miami Vice part into it.

They do skits on Presidents, & they don't get bent out of shape over it.
Have you seen Mick Jagger on there, playing a TAMPON for the Queen of England????...They have done tons of stuff on the Stones, Beatles, everyone.

This is SNL, they can do pretty much whatever. People know that was Will Ferrell. I didn't think it was too funny, but I doubt Frey would actually sue over that.

EagleLady
05-25-2013, 02:03 PM
Most actors consider it an honor to have a skit about them on SNL...It was pretty dumb, but people know this has nothing to do with reality....
They said there the reason they picked Frey was to add the Miami Vice part into it.

They do skits on Presidents, & they don't get bent out of shape over it.
Have you seen Mick Jagger on there, playing a TAMPON for the Queen of England????...They have done tons of stuff on the Stones, Beatles, everyone.

This is SNL, they can do pretty much whatever. People know that was Will Ferrell. I didn't think it was too funny, but I doubt Frey would actually sue over that.

Doesn't mean that We have to like them. This Skit was disrespectful.

AEW21
05-25-2013, 11:03 PM
it's been a looong time since it was created and was aired, and I'm sure all parties have moved past it now. I think being in the entertainment business has given Glenn a thick skin and that these type of things don't bother him much anymore. And the skit was just so odd and absurd and out-there (even for Adam McKay)--I don't think anyone took it too seriously.

MaryCalifornia
05-25-2013, 11:14 PM
The question "Why Glenn?" reminds me of the currently running, recurring SNL Lindsay Buckingham character in the "What's Up With That" sketch. Why Lindsay Buckingham? Where did that come from? It is so random and absurd, my husband and I laugh at it every time. The actual Lindsay Buckingham actually came on once and played himself. Nothing profane or nasty about him though, just bizarre. BTW, in addition to Anchorman, Adam McKay is behind the "Funny or Die" website.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2013, 09:56 AM
I just read back through the thread, and I've never seen anything elsewhere where Glenn said or did anything that even acknowledged the skit existed, let alone his feelings on it.

In the time that it was aired, regardless of who the characters were supposed to be, emulating the act of homosexuality, let alone sadisticly, was not acceptable on public TV. I'm not sure it was something you could even find on most cable channels (I certainly never looked for it). Anyway, it's my opinion that McKay lost the deal because of the content of skit and not who he chose Will Ferrell to be.

As for why the guy chose Glenn, I just always assumed it was a past grudge of some sort. Who wants to hire a guy that takes out perceived grudges in such a way on public TV?

Topkat
05-26-2013, 12:19 PM
They said they wanted to put in the part about Miami Vice & that is why Glenn was chosen...I doubt it was any grudge, just some stupid reason. They do many things on that show that most can't get away with, yet they do!

sodascouts
05-26-2013, 06:28 PM
The question "Why Glenn?" reminds me of the currently running, recurring SNL Lindsay Buckingham character in the "What's Up With That" sketch. Why Lindsay Buckingham? Where did that come from? It is so random and absurd, my husband and I laugh at it every time. The actual Lindsay Buckingham actually came on once and played himself. Nothing profane or nasty about him though, just bizarre. BTW, in addition to Anchorman, Adam McKay is behind the "Funny or Die" website.

You can tell the guy who does that impression is a fan of Lindsey. He even got his outfit nailed!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/tumblr_lzrepcwpy81qewm9xo1_500.jpg

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/lb/images/LBuckwooo.jpg

Sadly the guy who played him left, so we won't see that skit anymore. ::sniff::

If Glenn had gotten that kind of treatment, I would've thought it was pretty cool. You can tell the difference between the cool SNL portrayals and the crappy ones. Lindsey got the former, but poor Glenn got stuck with that latter, lol.

SNL really sucked for a while though so they were churning out a lot of crap at that time. They've gotten better although still not as good as they were at their zenith.