PDA

View Full Version : Why No Message Board on Band's Site?

rickmullen
09-13-2008, 11:31 AM
I was just curious if anyone had a clue as to why there wasn't
a message board on The Eagles Official website. Other major acts,
such as The Stones,The Who,Journey,etc. all provided fans with
a place to gather on their official sites. Any ideas?

I'm refering to eaglesband.com

Rick

sodascouts
09-13-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't know. I heard tell that it might be because when Henley had an official message board, there was some unpleasantness between certain posters that caused him to believe it was more trouble than it was worth. That board no longer exists. Perhaps that bad experience affected their decision, who knows.

All that drama was before my time as a hard-core Eagles fan (I first became involved in the Eagles internet in 2005). I really don't know much about it except what I hear second-hand. Perhaps someone who's been around longer can fill out the details.

Joe, ever on the cusp of internet trends, has a message board, so there's one official board at least! :) You have to be a member of the fan club to read/post there, though.

I know when Mick Fleetwood opened up an official message board, it was an absolute fiasco - largely due to the inept management of one of Mick's associates. As admin, he alienated fans left and right, until the board became a ghost town. It was no secret that he'd gotten the job by virtue of having helped Mick with some digitized drum tracks, and that he had no investment in the fan community; in fact, I hear he never really wanted to do the job in the first place, but Mick made it part of his contract. In addition to his poor treatment of fans on the board, one of his trash-talking e-mails (http://ledge.fleetwoodmac.net/showthread.php?t=10138&page=1&pp=15) came to light, and it reflected badly on Mick and the band by extension (as you can see by the pages of replies). Those things, if not handled carefully by diplomatic people, can become a liability rather than an asset.

And inevitably, disruptive folks will come and cause trouble (although luckily we haven't had that on this board). Perhaps the Eagles simply don't want to worry about it.

The upside would be that it would encourage a sense of Eagles community in an environment which can be controlled, unlike fan message boards where one is at the mercy of admins such as myself. ;)

Prettymaid
09-13-2008, 01:29 PM
You do an incredible job here soda!

ticky
09-13-2008, 01:56 PM
Mick should have hired Soda! Lets All write Mick!! *G*
(but she'd still have to do this board too) You can do that cant you Soda? *G*

Ive always been a dreamer
09-13-2008, 02:08 PM
I totally agree with what Soda said. For whatever reasons, the Eagles have never seemed to totally embrace the Internet. It doesn't seem to have really hurt them that much though since the core of their fan base is baby boomers. I remember when Glenn told us that the Eagles had a myspace site, we said how cool that was and his response was something like 'yeah - myspace, yourspace, whatever'. That may not be an exact quote, but you get the drift. :D

Glennsallnighter
09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Yeah, I distinctly get that impression as well. I suppose having done so much without the internet they (and Glenn :heart: and Don particularly) just feel it is surplus to their requirements.

Nancy, if Glenn :heart: ever needs a website he would be mad not to get you to do it! You do a brilliant job here.

sodascouts
09-17-2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I have a feeling Glenn won't make an official site unless he releases that solo album he's talked about. Then, he'll hire a professional to create one to market his album,which is the only reason why Don and Tim made theirs. Joe, as always, is the exception, having a site just because it's cool. :)

Prettymaid
09-17-2008, 08:17 PM
Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I have a feeling Glenn won't make an official site unless he releases that solo album he's talked about. Then, he'll hire a professional to create one to market his album,which is the only reason why Don and Tim made theirs. Joe, as always, is the exception, having a site just because it's cool. :)

Altogether now... :band: " Everybody sing he's cool "

Mrs Henley
09-24-2008, 02:37 PM
Yeh Nancy, you're going it great here! :)

Actually I think it would be cool if the band should have a message board, but just what happen with those other board, I also agree with their words "No message board".
And they have done indeed a lot of stuff without the Internet.

So I agree with the guys with no board.
(still it would be great!)