PDA

View Full Version : Eagles books

Pages : [1] 2

lyin' eyes
09-17-2008, 05:51 PM
I dont know if this has been posted or not. If so, please direct me in the right path.

I have the book, The Ealges: Flyin high.

I know there is a book called, To the limit: the untold story of the eagles. Im getting that one soon.

I was wondering are there any other books that are about the Ealges or that they have written?

sodascouts
09-17-2008, 07:34 PM
Well... a certain ex-Eagle wrote a book recently.... lol.

Marc Shapiro wrote one called The Long Run, which is just as good as any other.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-17-2008, 10:54 PM
A few other books I can think of where the Eagles get some major ink, although they are not exclusively about the band are 1) Desperados - The Roots of Country Rock; 2) You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again; 3) Laurel Canyon - The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Legendary Neighborhood; and 4) Hotel California.

TimothyBFan
09-18-2008, 07:44 AM
I also have a book called The Eagles by Laura Jackson. I have several of the books listed here but have not read any of them, just thumbed through them. My thinking is that if I read them, I will read something I don't want to know about and therefore will be disappointed. Silly huh? One of these days I am going to start Heaven And Hell just because curiosity will get the better of me.

Freypower
09-18-2008, 07:35 PM
The book you have by Laura Jackson is Flying High.

TBF, as a Tim fan, you might as well read the books. Tim is barely mentioned, particularly in To The Limit, which Felder's book parallels in many ways. You're not going to find out anything that you didn't already know unless it's a bit more about the drug use and promiscuity of several band members. I would not bother with The Long Run though because it is very basic indeed.

My own preference is for Flying High, and I have to say it is because Glenn is treated reasonably well in it. The treatment of Glenn in To The Limit is at best perfunctory. I am trying to be kind. The book was written with Henley's cooperation so Henley features extremely strongly in it.

lyin' eyes
09-19-2008, 12:15 AM
Thanks Dreamer. I will look into getting those books.

My own preference is for Flying High, and I have to say it is because Glenn is treated reasonably well in it.

Thats what i have been noticing, as i am currently reading it. I just started it yesterday evening!

Has anyone read Heaven or Hell? Is it worth reading?

Freypower
09-19-2008, 12:21 AM
If you visit the Former Eagles forum you will see a topic about Heaven & Hell in which we give our opinions on it.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585

I have nothing to add except that objectively it is an interesting insight into the life of a rock star. As a book about the Eagles, it is biased, slanted and distorted beyond credibility.

lyin' eyes
09-19-2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks FP.. Just as i asked that and directed away from this page i found that thead and am reading it now.

TimothyBFan
09-19-2008, 06:34 AM
Yeah FP-I know there's not much about Timothy in these books but just some of the other crap that is never flattering about Glen and Don. I know about the stuff that went on back in the 70's with them so nothing will surprise me I guess. I have tons of rock and roll books and read most but for some reason just have never read all of the ones on The Eagles, which I guess seems pretty funny since they have always been my favorite band.

Brooke
09-19-2008, 08:47 AM
I've read all these books (some twice) and find them quite interesting.

I'll never forget the first one I read was To The Limit and it was a definite eye opener for me. I knew about the sex and drugs and rock & roll, but it was all very vague and didn't really seem real. Well, that book told all and I was quite shocked and a little bit disappointed in "my guys". But, as time went on and I read more, I realized that was just the way it was back then. It's all very intriguing to me now.

sodascouts
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
When I was a new fan, I read To the Limit in order to find out more about these guys (whenever I get into something, I always try to find out as much as possible). I wasn't really surprised by anything in it, though. The Eagles did have a reputation, known even to me. ;)

One thing I remember being confused about in a book was a mention of the Eagles "infamous baseball game" and no more detail than that. I was like "Huh? What happened to make a baseball game infamous?" It was not so infamous that I had heard of it, lol.

TimothyBFan
09-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Brooke-- very well stated here!! Lots of people, when younger, did a lot of things that we wouldn't think about doing as we get older. Multiply that by the fact that you are a Rock God and people are willing to give you all the drugs, sex and anything else you desire in excess-and we can all just imagine the life they may have led. I know I am not proud of some of the things I did in my 20's (no drugs were involved at least). At least mine has never been put down in written form for millions to read about.

I will say, your post has made me decide that I am going to pull out To The Limit next and get at it. I can't wait to read about the sex parts.:hilarious:

Thanks FP--I was thinking the Laura Jackson book was just called The Eagles. I guess I should of pulled it out and checked it before posting.

Brooke
09-19-2008, 06:25 PM
I've learned since reading all of these books that the late 60's and 70's were definitely an "era". Everyone who wanted to make music went to California. It was "the" place to be. And they thought they were going to change the world with all the peace and love! And they did in the music world. It's all become very clear. It's no longer "fuzzy"! :wink:

And you're right, tbf, we've all done things we're not proud of. At least our lives aren't in print for all the world to read about!

Glennsallnighter
09-19-2008, 07:33 PM
To me I think that 'Flying High' was probably the most objective and called things as they were. 'To The Limit' was more detailed and also gave a deeper insight into the R&R world that the Eagles joined as individuals in the late sixties and very early 70's (God I was in Diapers then:hilarious::hilarious:). However from the start I felt that it was very much biased in favour of Don over Glenn :heart:, both in the way that Don got far more personal coverage and that it was far more favourable to him. Eliot seems to take a stab at Glenn :heart: when and where ever he can. JMHO of course.

As regards the decadent behaviour, I suppose this was the decade that everyone was 'at it'. In the circles in which they moved it was the norm. In a way it was the pre Aids and 'safe sex' era. It was also before the long term side effects of pleasure enhancing drugs were documented. They worked hard and played hard. And as TBSF said, we've all done things we aren't proud to admit now!!

Prettymaid
09-20-2008, 10:25 AM
As Maya Angelo said, "I did what I knew. When I knew better, I did better."

Thank goodness that seems to be true for most people.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
Thought some of you would appreciate this- I said yesterday that I would be starting To The Limit after I finished the book I was reading. Well I started it last night and have it setting on the kitchen table. My daughter this evening picked it up while I was doing the dishes and brought it over to me and pointed to the cover and asked who is this, it was Glenn, she says, and I quote, "he sure was hot!". :)

Freypower
09-20-2008, 08:36 PM
He WAS hot?!!

Your cover must be different from mine, which has a very cheap image of a pair of jeans with an Eagles belt buckle.

TimothyBFan
09-20-2008, 08:39 PM
I have that one also but the one I am reading is the newer copy with them standing, setting and kneeling next to an old car.

Freypower
09-20-2008, 09:38 PM
Oh yes, now I remember. That is a particularly nice photo of Glenn from that era.

Glennsallnighter
09-24-2008, 05:42 PM
I've got the same one as TBF. I think its a newer one because it goes right up to the F1 tours of 2005.

eaglesvet
10-15-2008, 12:15 PM
When I was a new fan, I read To the Limit in order to find out more about these guys (whenever I get into something, I always try to find out as much as possible). I wasn't really surprised by anything in it, though. The Eagles did have a reputation, known even to me. ;)

One thing I remember being confused about in a book was a mention of the Eagles "infamous baseball game" and no more detail than that. I was like "Huh? What happened to make a baseball game infamous?" It was not so infamous that I had heard of it, lol.

I know this is an older thread, so I don't know if you ever found out the info on the baseball game. However, you piqued my interest when I came across this last night, so I GOOGLED: "Eagles band infamous baseball game:"

Click on the 2nd entry entitled "Eagles articles." There's one written by Glenn and Don entitled Eagles Land on Rolling Stone that goes into all the fun details. There looks to be a few other articles about the same, I just didn't have time to read the others. Enjoy!

sodascouts
10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks evet, that was kind of you to go to the trouble of looking it up! Turns out I have that article on the EOC archives (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/articles/rollingstone78eagles.htm) - when I read it, like you, I finally got what they were talking about! It just took me a while. ;)

Mrs Henley
10-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Aah great to read that article again! :)

sodascouts
10-06-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm reviving this old thread because recently, several books have been published mentioning the Eagles/an Eagle.

Runway Runaway by Lorelei Shellist (http://www.runwayrunaway.com/) - She dated Don Henley and he gets some ink.
(See our thread discussing it here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1915))

Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and Music of Laurel Canyon by Harvey Kubernik (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Canyon-of-Dreams/Harvey-Kubernik/e/9781402765896/) - Eagles mentions and some exclusive comments from Randy.
(See our thread discussing it here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2000))

Travelin' Man: On the Road and Behind the Scenes with Bob Seger by Tom Weschler and Gary Graff (http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Travelin-Man/Tom-Weschler/e/9780814334591/?itm=1) - some Glenn mentions.
(See my post about it here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=74066&postcount=50))

bernie's bender
10-06-2009, 11:09 PM
The John Einarson books are pretty good... he is a very nice person and tries to get it right.... growing up in LA and having lots of family in the music bidness and being a musician and having seen several of the 'important' shows and having played with lots of the different people etc... it is weird to read the books as history.

If you haven't read the books on the Byrds or the Burritos, you might enjoy them... lots of mentions of Eagles and the folks around the Eagles...

I wish that someone would write more about the music part of it (I know, limited audience, so it won't happen.) I just re-read the Burritos book and ended up listening to Manassas (the steve stills record) all day as I drove and between meetings (thank you iphone)

Bernie and Chris Hillman are such pivotal people in the history of country rock.... the web of friends and bandmates still resonates today... the 'small world' thing is so apparent....

What also is strange is that everyone always thinks that things happened for a 'reason' when most people were just trying to make it.... I know lots of people HATE the Eagles because they made it and Gram Parsons died... there are the people who pit Emmy vs. Ronstadt as if there was a competition there...

For me the timelines on things are often hazy... I can remember specific things at specific gigs... but, maybe not which year or who was where on the bill... I was just going to a show!

I remember our little band (a 'legit' bakersfield style country band) opening for Lone Justice and Dwight Yoakum... at the time, we thought.. cool 1200.00 for 60-90 minutes work for some 'punk' bands (we thought they were cow punks ha ha!)... pretty funny! I had no idea that they would be famous or whatever...

I can remember seeing Vince Gill in Fred Walecki's guitar shop and knowing he had just gotten a gig with Pure Prairie League (he is about 3 years older than me, which is nothing now, but back then it was about a million years older) and knowing he probably needed the job... by then that band was pretty much a pop band....

The part that REALLY puzzles me is when someone will say Stephen Stills is legit and Firefall sucks when the bands were almost identical and they recorded some of the same songs....

Or people will slag the Bee Gees and say the Burritos were artistic gold when the Burritos loved the Bee Gees and recorded their songs....

History, as it is written in books, is just not very good at capturing the actual moment, but it is really good at creating one...

I love reading history, but I temper it knowing that some of the incidents that are discussed are very different in my own memory (not saying mine is correct, just that so much of memory is subjective... what if you had the hiccups that night, you'd think it was awful and everyone else would say it was terrific.)

I played a job last friday night and we'd added a new guy and I was kind of watching and helping and the result was that I played very self consciously all night and did not feel like I played well at all... I was happy that the gig went fine and the new guy is working out, but I was bummed about my own playing.... as we are packing up I have about 10 people come up independently and say 'man, you really had it tonight!'

All professional musicians will tell you... smile, smile, smile (even if your amp is on fire and you have broken guitar strings) so, I smiled and thanked them and asked them if they wanted to try my guitar... they all just wanted pictures (of what? an old man in a bar band... okie dokie, smile, smile, smile!)

If you've seen the DVD about Gram Parsons, Bernie's comments seem the most accurate and the least 'made up'.... but, from what little I know about the actual folks.... Bernie can be pretty blunt and pretty fierce in his 'kicking down the reality'....

When all is said and done... thank goodness we have the actual music and you can go back and find where it came from and listen to that... the people end up being just the vehicle that brought us those sounds.... but, I'd sure love to read about the music side of things and the composition process and in depth studio stuff....

sodascouts
10-07-2009, 02:33 AM
Thank you for your thought-provoking post, Bender. It's true that many times we tend to ascribe great meaning to things that were probably largely a result of happenstance, or make something mundane into something dramatic. I think it is due to the urge to make history into an understandable and entertaining narrative.

Bernie has always seemed like a frank, straightforwardly honest person to me from what I've seen and read. I don't know the man, obviously, but that's always been my impression. I respect him for it.

10-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Thanks for your post from me as well, bender. I love history too in spite of the fact that many times it does end up being 'revisionist' history. I wasn't aware of some of those 'history' books that you mentioned so I guess I have some catching up to do. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
10-17-2009, 07:19 PM
Well, I looked at the Seger book in Barnes & Noble today and Glenn barely gets a mention. He's referred to a couple times and there are a couple paragraphs about how badly he and Don wanted Seger to succeed. I was suprised, but as it's largely a photo book with some anecdotes, I guess I shouldn't be.

A must for Seger fans, though!

AzEaglesFan
10-17-2009, 07:55 PM
I guess this is a good place to post this. While checking Amazon for anything new I found a 1976 Eagles Tour Book was how it was listed. It's different from the others that I have. It has more of a matte finish where the others are glossy. A lot of the pictures are out of focus to me but I only paid $9.00 for it including shipping. The last pages have full page pictures of Glenn, Don H, Randy, Don F and Joe that make it worth every penny to me. The picture of Joe is the only one I have seen before. They look good now but in 1976 they were gorgeous.
http://www.eaglesfans.com/visuals/memorabilia.htm If you go to this web site and click on Eagles Hotel California Program. That is the one I bought.

TimothyBFan
10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Bought that one off of ebay quite a while back. Don't remember how much I paid for it but it was probably about the same. But there is no pictures of Timothy in it. It is from Hotel California era so before Tim.

AzEaglesFan
10-18-2009, 04:40 PM
Your right that is why Randy is in there. I corrected the post. Thank you .

EaglesFanatic
10-19-2010, 11:10 PM
I just got my Eagles book in the mail! I ended up choosing To The Limit-The Untold Story Of The Eagles. The book is a lot bigger than I had expected. Can't wait to read it!!!!!

GlennLover
10-20-2010, 05:37 PM
Enjoy!

Topkat
09-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Hi all, I am a newbie here. In fact this is my first post. I am a huge Eagles fan since the 70's. I just finished reading Don Felder's book Heaven & Hell, as I was curious about the break up of Don from the band. I found the read quite an eye opener. Seems there was lots of huge fights within the band, & Don gets into some of the reasons for them. I would highly recommend the book, as I couldn't put it down!

sodascouts
09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Ah, the Felder book! That one is very controversial. When it came out a few years ago, we started a thread just for it - and it's grown to be huge now!

You can check it out here:

"Heaven and Hell" Discussion Thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585)

Not everyone was a fan of the book, to put it mildly, lol! But hey, it's all good. Different strokes for different folks!

EaglesFanatic
09-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey Topkat, welcome to the Border! I bought Heaven and Hell last weekend (finally lol) and I'm about a third of the way into the book, so I can't help with your question. I'm really enjoying the book so far... I find it hard to put down too :nod:

09-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Hope you all will share some of your thoughts about Felder's book in the Heaven and Hell thread that Soda posted the link to. As she mentioned, the book is rather controversial here. I actually enjoyed most of the book and thought it was an interesting read. I especially enjoyed the part about his early life.

Windeagle
09-12-2011, 01:18 PM
For the newbies among us (me included), I have a question for the book collectors. Which Eagles books would you recommend most highly and which would you say "Don't bother?" I want to pick up a couple of these books, but am not sure which ones are worth my limited time?

Freypower
09-12-2011, 06:48 PM
For the newbies among us (me included), I have a question for the book collectors. Which Eagles books would you recommend most highly and which would you say "Don't bother?" I want to pick up a couple of these books, but am not sure which ones are worth my limited time?

Please note that my recommendations are based more on personal prejudice than anything else. I don't really consider any of these books to be particularly well written, so I can't recommend them on that basis.

I recommend Laura Jackson's The Eagles: Flying High.

I do not recommend Marc Shapiro's The Long Run because it is basically a rehash of interviews & press articles.

I personally do not recommend Marc Elliot's To The Limit. The entire book is told from an extreme, pro Don Henley slant and Glenn Frey is virtually ignored as a creative force. I have to be honest here and say that is why the book has no credibility for me; I should also say that it was written with Henley's cooperation.

09-12-2011, 08:33 PM
Windeagle - Here is a link to another thread where there is some discussion about some other books about the band or at least, where they get some major ink.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031

My personal favorite is "You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again". :wink:

GlennLover
09-13-2011, 12:08 AM
My personal favorite is "You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again". :wink:

So is mine! :blush: :laugh:

Annabel
09-13-2011, 03:50 AM
:rofl: That's still on my wish list ......... atm. :hilarious: :hilarious:

EaglesKiwi
09-13-2011, 06:32 AM
I personally do not recommend Marc Elliot's To The Limit. The entire book is told from an extreme, pro Don Henley slant and Glenn Frey is virtually ignored as a creative force. I have to be honest here and say that is why the book has no credibility for me; I should also say that it was written with Henley's cooperation.
I'll add my counterpoint to this: even with Henley's cooperation, I actually thought the book didn't portray him in the best light. Some of the comments the author made seemed unnecessarily b*tchy in my personal opinion! Don's contributions are always referenced as "according to Henley" (i.e. implying "this is just Don's memory/viewpoint and take it with a grain of salt if you wish) however comments from others are presented as facts.

I agree that it talks very little about Glenn, and certainly doesn't do his talents justice. Indeed the overall impression I got was that the author was looking for "Dirty Laundry" rather than trying to tell the story of the band's creativity and music.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 11:05 AM
I'll add my counterpoint to this: even with Henley's cooperation, I actually thought the book didn't portray him in the best light. Some of the comments the author made seemed unnecessarily b*tchy in my personal opinion!
Well, that's probably because at the end, Henley turned against the author, threatened lawsuits, and tried to sabotage the book's sales. At least, that's what the author claims in the addendum to the book.

Don's contributions are always referenced as "according to Henley" (i.e. implying "this is just Don's memory/viewpoint and take it with a grain of salt if you wish) however comments from others are presented as facts.Personally, though, I like it when an author says "according to..." when using information from a source. The tendency to present opinion as fact is one of the reasons why these biographies can be so misleading.

EaglesKiwi
09-13-2011, 03:16 PM
Well, that's probably because at the end, Henley turned against the author, threatened lawsuits, and tried to sabotage the book's sales. At least, that's what the author claims in the addendum to the book.
Oh, I missed that bit! :nahnah:. I wonder if he had read any of it at that stage.

Personally, though, I like it when an author says "according to..." when using information from a source. The tendency to present opinion as fact is one of the reasons why these biographies can be so misleading.
I like it too - I just think it should be consistently applied to ALL a biographer's sources. If it's an ex-girlfriend's story or another's musician's opinion or somebody else's quote then it's still just personal opinion and can still be misleading.

Troubadour
09-13-2011, 03:19 PM
Welcome, Topkat!

whitcap
09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
There's an uncorrected proof version (http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-ARC-Limit-Untold-Story-Eagles-/190554991496?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2758942768790411479#ht_516 wt_952) of To the Limit of Ebay. I wonder if anything is different between this and the final version.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 05:46 PM
I doubt it - at that point it's usually about correcting typos. However, I guess you never know!

Freypower
09-13-2011, 06:50 PM

Personally, though, I like it when an author says "according to..." when using information from a source. The tendency to present opinion as fact is one of the reasons why these biographies can be so misleading.

I have the version of the book which doesn't contain the addendum, although I have read the addendum. I think Eliot was upset that after portraying Don so glowingly, Don then turned against him so hard.

sodascouts
09-13-2011, 08:15 PM
Oh, I missed that bit! :nahnah:. I wonder if he had read any of it at that stage.

Yes, Don had read it. That was the problem. According to the author, Don had agreed to cooperate only if the author didn't go on about Don's trouble with the law in 1980. While the author glossed over the incident, he did indeed mention it, and Don was enraged.

09-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Well, if Elliot did, in fact, go back on his word, then I don't blame Don - I would have been pissed too! :nod:

Topkat
09-22-2011, 11:48 AM
I picked up "To The Limit" yesterday & am already almost halfway through it. I don't really see it as negative toward Don Henley, but that is so far!
My opinion so far is that it goes into the management & the recording deals way too much for my interest, but I guess that's a big part of the story. What I find more interesting is the early days of forming the band, where they came from, how they got to LA & what happened during the recording of the albums. That stuff is a good read, as well as stories about some of their relationships with Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, Crosby, Stills & Nash; all interesting stuff. According to the Acknowledgments, Henley, Walsh, & Meisner were interviewed for the book, which could explain the lack of information about Glenn.

Freypower
09-22-2011, 06:54 PM
I picked up "To The Limit" yesterday & am already almost halfway through it. I don't really see it as negative toward Don Henley, but that is so far!
My opinion so far is that it goes into the management & the recording deals way too much for my interest, but I guess that's a big part of the story. What I find more interesting is the early days of forming the band, where they came from, how they got to LA & what happened during the recording of the albums. That stuff is a good read, as well as stories about some of their relationships with Linda Ronstadt, Jackson Browne, Crosby, Stills & Nash; all interesting stuff. According to the Acknowledgments, Henley, Walsh, & Meisner were interviewed for the book, which could explain the lack of information about Glenn.

It isn't negative towards Henley. It is entirely pro-Henley. The only negativity occurred when Eliot published a new edition of the book & Henley complained about it. Eliot then wrote a long addendum where he basically trashed Henley's behaviour.

I think it is possible to write a decent book about the Eagles and include rather more 'information' or analysis about Glenn than Eliot chose to give, even if he did not have access to Glenn. My point is that Eliot appeared to gloss over or minimise Glenn's work.

AzEaglesFan
09-25-2011, 12:31 PM
Just received a notice from Amazon that the new Eagles book will be released 10/4 instead of 10/11.
They also offered a new Fleetwood Mac book that is suppose to be release on the same day, so I preordered that.
Well after writing this, I received two more e mails from Amazon and now I am so confused that I'll just let you know when I get both books. :confused:

09-25-2011, 01:02 PM
Thanks for the info, AzEF. Based on what I'm hearing from you all that have read it, I guess I'm going to go ahead and order the book. I figured that I would unless you all had convinced me that it was hardcore suckage! :wink:

Glennhoney
09-25-2011, 02:30 PM
It isn't negative towards Henley. It is entirely pro-Henley. The only negativity occurred when Eliot published a new edition of the book & Henley complained about it. Eliot then wrote a long addendum where he basically trashed Henley's behaviour.

I think it is possible to write a decent book about the Eagles and include rather more 'information' or analysis about Glenn than Eliot chose to give, even if he did not have access to Glenn. My point is that Eliot appeared to gloss over or minimise Glenn's work.

You are absolutely 100% correct...the book is completely "PRO-HENLEY"..until Don started complaining..BTW, in that book, doesn't Eliot mention Henley getting married to some TV news girl, or am I not remembering this correctly???.....seems to me I've heard people say that Don has only been married to Sharon, but yet I seem to recall something said in that book about a wedding...?????????:eyebrow:

VAisForEagleLovers
09-25-2011, 02:54 PM
The only wedding I remember was the one to Sharon. However, I have a 'pre-release' version of the book (very similar to what someone posted last week from ebay) that I got at a flea market a long time ago. It does NOT reference Don's incident with the underage hooker. Just that there was an incident of some kind and that he had been set up. The entire portion is a direct quote from Don. And, there is no appendix or addendum that trashes Don's behavior. There's an acknowledgement in the back that gives a very gracious thank you to Don for his cooperation. Until I joined this board and read these reviews, I never realized it was different.

sodascouts
09-25-2011, 05:15 PM
I have the book in front of me now. The breakdown of the addendum:

According to Eliot, Henley "was furious that while I had eliminated the offending passages, I had still referred, in the most general way and without any details or incriminating material, to the episode [regarding his trouble with the law in 1980] he had so vehemently objected to" (271).

Henley also claimed there were lies in the book such as the statement that he had a perm (I am using Eliot's example here, which was presumably given because it is the most ridiculous. However, it is Eliot who begins to look a bit ridiculous when he proudly states he would not give in to the pressure to hide the fact that Don had a perm and spent half a day defending this choice. Oh my gosh, really?? This is what Eliot considers a noteworthy example of his journalistic integrity? LOL).

Note: Eliot is referring to the original edition, not a later modified one. Henley was displeased with the original. However, Eliot didn't realize this until after he had already written the nice thank-yous and sent it to the publisher. In fact, Eliot says he believed Henley would like the book since he had so much input into it, and that he was completely blind-sided by Henley's rage.

What it boils down to is that Henley felt personally betrayed by Eliot, and reacted badly... to put it mildly.

According to Eliot, Henley first had his lawyers threaten a lawsuit and then, when it became apparent that such threats were impotent, began a campaign to sabotage the book's sales. This campaign consisted of Henley pressuring stores not to allow book signings or at the very least not promote the book. He apparently told any book or record store thinking of doing a book signing with Eliot that he would do an album signing there himself if Eliot's appearance were cancelled.

Eliot then places the blame on Henley's antics for the fact that his book did not sell well.

Is Henley a scapegoat for Eliot's book's failure or did Henley really damage its sales? In my opinion, Henley probably damaged its sales to a degree, but not enough to cause the book's sales to drop worldwide. I'm afraid he damaged his dignity much more than Eliot's book sales; indeed, the media reporting on his determined efforts to quash the book might have even piqued interest in it. I imagine Eliot is misguided in laying all the blame for the book's failure at Henley's door.

At any rate, Henley's behavior backfired considerably. It inspired Eliot to publish an "updated" version of the book with this addendum which not only detailed Henley's sabotage attempts and made him out to be a frothing-at-the-mouth irrational and hypocrital jerk, but also devoted a paragraph to giving details about the incident that Henley did not want even vaguely referred to. Ouch.

Me, I always read such things wondering what the REAL story is about what went down between them. Henley doesn't seem like the type to go ballistic for no good reason. There's always more to it than folks are willing to tell you... and that includes Eliot.

Topkat
09-25-2011, 05:37 PM
According to Eliot, Henley first had his lawyers threaten a lawsuit and then, when it became apparent that such threats were impotent, began a campaign to sabotage the book's sales. This campaign consisted of Henley pressuring stores not to allow book signings or at the very least not promote them. He apparently told any book or record store thinking of doing a book signing with Eliot that he would do an album signing there himself if Eliot's appeareance were cancelled.
This all sounds really petty. Henley overreacted. I mean to get upset over the perm. OMG. His lawyers would have sued if there were grounds for it. The book made Henley look great. I don't know what he was complaining about.

Sometimes I think Henley overthinks things. I mean if he didn't mention these things, nobody would even give a rats ass about his perm or the incident with the underage girl. I even heard him admit to the incident in a TV interview, I believe on "60 Minutes". I even think the interview is on YouTube.

Don needs to chill. Sometimes if you just ignore things like this they go away. He made it worse by overreacting & bringing attention to it.

sodascouts
09-25-2011, 05:51 PM
True, Henley should have left it alone, but even I have found several passages where Eliot got facts wrong. It wasn't just the perm; that was Eliot's cherry-picked example.

Henley Honey
09-25-2011, 06:04 PM
I haven't read any of the books cause I really didn't want to have any of the negative crap in my head, so I can't comment, but if I could I'd say: WTF????? Are we taking the word of some wanna be, nobel prize not winning wanna be and calling it Gospel? I don't think so. Just sayin. . . . .

VAisForEagleLovers
09-25-2011, 07:01 PM
There were lots of things Eliot got wrong, and I don't agree with the assessment that Henley came off looking good. Put it this way, if this book were the only insight into who Don Henley is and was, I would not be a fan. I wouldn't want to meet him, and he'd be one of those people I'd warn my teenagers to not idolize (if I had any). I closed the book thinking him an obsessive compulsive freak who had a stick up his... At the end of the book, Eliot's interpretation of Don's Hall of Fame speech is a great example. Then I remembered the source and remembered the interviews I've seen and most importantly, the song lyrics he's written.

Anyway, I'm an avid reader and until Borders did the unthinkable and closed their doors, I lived there. And I had never heard of this book until I saw it on sale for $0.75 at a flea market. So, the 'publicity' over it didn't affect my decision one way or the other. I read it back then and a friend asked if it was worth their time to borrow it and I said 'no'. It didn't help that the end is basically the HFO tour and R&RHF induction and without the internet at my disposal, even I knew that Glenn had a girl and a boy and not two boys. Such a glaring error towards the end of a book is guaranteed to leave you walking away thinking most of it was probably in error. The credibility was gone and I'd never pay another cent to read anything else the man ever wrote.

Topkat
09-25-2011, 07:48 PM
I totally agree that there were mistakes there. He also said that Tim had 2 boys & a girl, & we know he has 2 girls & a boy.

It is listed as an Unauthorized Biography, so you have to take it with a grain of salt. I thought it was worth reading, but I didn't believe it was all true. Like I said, if there were grounds to sue him, they would have done so. I only took it out of the library, so this guy Eliot didn't make any money off me.

Seems this guy is a good friend of one of the managers, or agents (don't remember which one), so much of the information is probably through him. I certainly did see some errors & conflicting dates of things too, but I didn't really see the book as negative toward any of them.

sodascouts
09-25-2011, 08:46 PM
Another thing that irks me about Eliot's mistakes is the way they keep appearing in later books. So many authors who don't feel like doing their own research use him as a source, and recycle those same mistakes. Heck, even FELDER recycled some of Eliot's material for his freaking autobiography!

Maybe this new official "Story of the Eagles" Glenn spoke of will clear some things up. I'd also love it if the guys did individual autobiographies.

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 09:00 AM
I haven't read any of the books cause I really didn't want to have any of the negative crap in my head,

Exactly Joanie!!!!

I did pull out You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again and think I might read it. Especially since a few of you just recently declared it your favorite. :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-26-2011, 10:00 AM
Only read the Glenn chapter. The two Don chapters make him out to be a perv.

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Then I'm definitely reading the 2 Don chapters also!!! :drool: :hilarious:

StephUK
12-13-2011, 06:49 PM
Does anyone have the book 'Eagles - Essential Interviews' by John Luerrson, published in April 2009?
If so, it is worth getting?

12-13-2011, 08:00 PM
I don't have it, Steph. I seem to remember something being discussed about it on the board before, but I can't find anything. I went back and looked at a couple old threads where I thought it may have been discussed.

Anyway, speaking of old threads, I found another thread titled exactly the same as this one, so I hope you don't mind if I merge the two.

GlennLover
12-14-2011, 07:53 PM
I've been looking for the book too, but I can only find it at a ridiculous price (over $100 + shipping from the UK). It is a limited edition book. As far as I know it is a collection of the interviews that the Eagles did in the 70's, most of which we have probably read. However, it is an Eagles book so I will buy it if I find it at a realistic price.

StephUK
12-15-2011, 08:41 PM
GLennLover, It's available in the UK from Waterstones who ship internationally. Check it out here:-

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/john+luerssen/eagles3a+essential+interviews/6790447/

Waterstones are a major book seller in the UK and they have all of the Eagles books on their web site.

GlennLover
12-16-2011, 05:15 PM
Thanks, Steph!!! I'll give it a try.

WalshFan88
12-25-2011, 04:39 AM
Well I opened my Christmas gifts last night and among other things I got the new Eagles book (Taking It To The Limit). Let me just say WOW. The pics in this book are more high quality and nicer than the others IMO. Maybe I'm biased because there is a lot of guitar pictures, but the images are high quality and super nice. I have not started reading it yet, just looked at the pictures. Great pics of the HC era Felder/Walsh duo. Good stuff!

zeldabjr
09-19-2012, 07:51 PM
I ordered both Taking It To The Limit and To The Limit The Untold Story of the Eagles!...more necessities of life!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Zelda,

I couldnt agree more.

I love my Eagles books.
Did you find the one we were talking about in hardback??
'
I even want to re read felders book again so I think I will order it on my nook or paperback ..easier to carry around.

tt:computer:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-19-2012, 08:13 PM
Exactly Joanie!!!!

I did pull out You'll Never Make Love In This Town Again and think I might read it. Especially since a few of you just recently declared it your favorite. :hilarious:
Who wrote this book???

If I buy I wanna get the right one please
Thanks

tt

09-19-2012, 08:28 PM
tt - This is also fondly referred to as "the hooker book" because it was written by three former high-priced Hollywood hookers - Robin Greer, Liza Greer, and Linda Hammond about their escapades with celebrities. Don H. and Glenn are both featured in the book and have some 'interesting' chapters written about them. To be perfectly honest, I never read anything except for the chapters on Glenn and Don so I can't really say how good the book is overall.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-19-2012, 08:33 PM
tt - This is also fondly referred to as "the hooker book" because it was written by three former hookers - Robin Greer, Liza Greer, and Linda Hammond about their escapades with celebrities. Don H. and Glenn are both featured in the book and have some 'interesting' chapters written about them. To be perfectly honest, I never read anything except for the chapters on Glenn and Don so I can't really say how good the book is overall.
Thanks for the answer VA>

I will add to my list...Cant be any worse or better the=ant he Grey series.lol

I couldnt understand when I googled it why i came up with Hooker info.lol

Burner on me ,,,first I heard about it.

But addes to the list.:computer:

zeldabjr
09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
Zelda,

I couldnt agree more.

I love my Eagles books.
Did you find the one we were talking about in hardback??
'
I even want to re read felders book again so I think I will order it on my nook or paperback ..easier to carry around.

tt:computer:

yeah I found it and then decided to get the other one too...I figure one cannot have too many Eagles books!

zeldabjr
09-19-2012, 08:42 PM
tt - This is also fondly referred to as "the hooker book" because it was written by three former high-priced Hollywood hookers - Robin Greer, Liza Greer, and Linda Hammond about their escapades with celebrities. Don H. and Glenn are both featured in the book and have some 'interesting' chapters written about them. To be perfectly honest, I never read anything except for the chapters on Glenn and Don so I can't really say how good the book is overall.

oh my I've not heard of this one...put another one on the list of life's necessities!...the more I think about it maybe I don't want to read it!....nah:hilarious:

09-19-2012, 09:04 PM
oh my I've not heard of this one...put another one on the list of life's necessities!...the more I think about it maybe I don't want to read it!....nah:hilarious:

Well - you may want to go back through this thread and read some of the omments about the book. It may or may not be to your liking, but the chapters on Glenn and Don are quite salacious, especially Glenn's. There is another thread about it in Glenn's forum ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438

BTW zelda - I messed up and pushed the moderator's edit button on your previous post. After I realized what I'd done, I backed out of it and, hopefully, restored your post to what you wrote. Sorry 'bout that!

zeldabjr
09-19-2012, 09:35 PM
Well - you may want to go back through this thread and read some of the omments about the book. It may or may not be to your liking, but the chapters on Glenn and Don are quite salacious, especially Glenn's. There is another thread about it in Glenn's forum ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438

BTW zelda - I messed up and pushed the moderator's edit button on your previous post. After I realized what I'd done, I backed out of it and, hopefully, restored your post to what you wrote. Sorry 'bout that!

I looked this book up on Amazon and see several books with that title but different author names...did they use aliases maybe?...I want to read it...(I can handle it as long as there's nothing about sweet Timothy B):hilarious:

09-19-2012, 09:53 PM
They may have used pen names, but my book cover says it's by Robin, Liza, Linda, and Tiffany as told to Joanne Parrent. The cover is pink and is nothing but a picture of big red lips. Enjoy! (it's pretty hot) :grin:

zeldabjr
09-19-2012, 10:39 PM
They may have used pen names, but my book cover says it's by Robin, Liza, Linda, and Tiffany as told to Joanne Parrent. The cover is pink and is nothing but a picture of big red lips. Enjoy! (it's pretty hot) :grin:

thanks...I just wanted to make sure I was getting the right book!

EaglesKiwi
09-20-2012, 05:11 AM
I got the book out of the library, and I have to say I'm glad I didn't pay money for it. Overall it's quite a depressing read (although the chapter on Glenn WAS much nicer than most of the rest of the book!). I also thought there was a bit of a double standard on the part of the writers in naming people they slept with who DIDN'T hire them - that kinda invalidated their whole point of "the other parties should be as accountable as we are" in my opinion.

GlennLover
09-22-2012, 03:16 PM
I got the book for 99 cents & if I remember correctly I got it through Amazon from one of the vendors that was selling though them.

Thirsty&Hot
03-18-2013, 04:33 AM
This is an interesting thread! will have to check these out!

Not sure if this is the right place, but I was looking for a place to post a Henley quote I liked about him and Glenn living together from a book (though I'm not sure which one it is exactly..I think it's Take it to the Limit)

“Glenn and I would go through a series of moving in together and then moving out. We’d have girlfriends and live with them for a while, and then we’d get ready to do an album and we’d move back in together. Dudes on a rampage… [We were] the odd couple. I was sort of the housekeeper, the tidy one. He was the lovable slob. All around the house he’d leave these little Century Cities of cigarette butts standing on end. Burns all over the furniture and carpet, coffee cups all over the place. We would get up every Sunday, watch football together, scream and yell, and spill things.”
— Don Henley

Let me know if there is another place I should post this!

Houston Debutante
03-18-2013, 12:47 PM
I'd love to have Don clean up after me. ;)

Thirsty&Hot
03-18-2013, 01:31 PM
hehe yes it's a very endearing quote. oh to be a fly on the wall in their apartment!

sad-cafe
06-28-2013, 02:01 AM
I too am looking for more books about our guys. What do you all suggest?

EaglesKiwi
06-28-2013, 05:03 AM
I too am looking for more books about our guys. What do you all suggest?
Not sure if you've ready any so far?

Overall I have to say none of the books out there are absolutely fabulous, mainly because they tend to re-hash the same information (and were written prior to the release of the HOTE documentary). As the band has been very private over the years none of the books really give us a lot of new insight into any of the members, and they all tend to focus on Don Henley as much as all the other members put together (and I'm complaining even as a Henley girl!).

The Eagles - An American Band (Andrew Vaughan) is a nice large format (coffee table kinda thing) if you're interested in looking at photos (although there are a lot of other people...). It's a pretty good overview of the music and influences on their music, and this is the one I would recommend.

Marc Eliot's Take It To The Limit is a bit more gossipy in style - quite salacious. I didn't really like it - he interviewed a number of people and their comments are presented as fact, whereas any comments from the guys are presented as being just their opinion. There are a number of errors in the book too, and unfortunately most of the other books around (even Felder's) seem to have used this one as their primary source material. He does give a lot of information about the business side of the band's early days.

Don Felder's Heaven and Hell has its own thread. The story of his early life is interesting enough, but the book was written after he'd been fired from the band and it's not very objective (which is not unexpected). He makes some rather vulgar comments about women, too, which really put me off the whole book.

Freypower
06-28-2013, 06:08 PM
I recommend Laura Jackson's The Eagles: Flying High because it is the only book which gives Glenn his due. His talents & role as leader in the other books are either minimised or ignored.

sad-cafe
06-28-2013, 10:58 PM
Not sure if you've ready any so far?

Overall I have to say none of the books out there are absolutely fabulous, mainly because they tend to re-hash the same information (and were written prior to the release of the HOTE documentary). As the band has been very private over the years none of the books really give us a lot of new insight into any of the members, and they all tend to focus on Don Henley as much as all the other members put together (and I'm complaining even as a Henley girl!).

The Eagles - An American Band (Andrew Vaughan) is a nice large format (coffee table kinda thing) if you're interested in looking at photos (although there are a lot of other people...). It's a pretty good overview of the music and influences on their music, and this is the one I would recommend.

Marc Eliot's Take It To The Limit is a bit more gossipy in style - quite salacious. I didn't really like it - he interviewed a number of people and their comments are presented as fact, whereas any comments from the guys are presented as being just their opinion. There are a number of errors in the book too, and unfortunately most of the other books around (even Felder's) seem to have used this one as their primary source material. He does give a lot of information about the business side of the band's early days.

Don Felder's Heaven and Hell has its own thread. The story of his early life is interesting enough, but the book was written after he'd been fired from the band and it's not very objective (which is not unexpected). He makes some rather vulgar comments about women, too, which really put me off the whole book.

I've read To The Limit and also Felder's books. I learned a lot, but wondered if there was more. Maybe Timothy B and Don H will write books some day. A Walsh bio would be fantastic too

Tiffanny Twisted
06-28-2013, 11:03 PM
We candream......

Freypower
06-28-2013, 11:25 PM
I've read To The Limit and also Felder's books. I learned a lot, but wondered if there was more. Maybe Timothy B and Don H will write books some day. A Walsh bio would be fantastic too

So would a book by Glenn. :eyebrow:

RebeccaLovesEagles
07-01-2013, 06:51 PM
I'd love a book by each :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
07-02-2013, 06:00 PM
So would a book by Glenn. :eyebrow:

yup, I'm sorry I didn't mean to leave him out

Outlawman13
07-02-2013, 06:05 PM
They all need to make their own!!!! Love reading them from their prospective.

sad-cafe
07-02-2013, 08:53 PM
it would be great to see it from all sides

Freypower
07-02-2013, 09:12 PM
On the other hand there is such a thing as too much information & how wide a market there could be for a book by each member.

desperado
07-13-2013, 10:45 AM
I just started reading "To the Limit". Very interesting reading the first two chapters, the differences between Don and Glenn are amazing! They had one thing in common, the southern California dream.

Can't wait to sink my teeth into the rest of this book !

AEW21
07-13-2013, 04:52 PM
I like "Hotel California" by Barney Hoskyns. it's actually about the entire Laurel canyon music scene of that era, but it's fairly Eagle-heavy. Gives great context about how the scene came to be and what their motivations were. Only Eagle who granted interview was (of course) Bernie, but JD Souther, Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Ned Doheny, Tom Waits, Joni Mitchell, etc., all were interviewed and share really great insights. I wish one of the other guys Eagles would have dud an interview--you'd think with all their buddies saying yes, they would have felt comfortable doing it---I'm guessing it came down to money and editorial control. ;)

Only bsd thing is it stops at 1976. :shrug:

UndertheWire
12-13-2013, 01:25 PM
"Roadwork: Rock and Rolled Turned Inside Out" by Tom Wright and Susan VanHecke. It's available cheap second-hand. Amazon link
I haven't read much of the book but I've a feeling it's special. I felt that rush of excitement like I was reading something fresh and new. It's like seeing old footage (and I'd like to get my hands on his photos and cassette tapes). There's a chapter on the Eagles from a tour in 1980, another on a short tour with JD Souther and there are Joe Walsh bits sprinkled here and there (Joe's a friend dating back to James Gang days). There are b&w photos (several of Joe, one of Don Henley) but they're a bit murky and wouldn't scan well.

Most of the book is about The Who but also the Rolling Stones and the Faces.

ETA: Here's one of his photos (not in the book)
https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/photo/default.aspx?photographID=3281

luna65
12-13-2013, 01:53 PM
Oooh I must put that one on my list, thank you!!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 02:21 PM
The one problem that I see if they all wrote books is if they had different versions of a certain time or thing that happened. Then you are wondering which version is true. I think that happened a little bit with Don Felder. So who do you believe? I guess if you have a favorite you would believe him. But it would be interesting to see all the different points of view.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-13-2013, 05:00 PM
The one problem that I see if they all wrote books is if they had different versions of a certain time or thing that happened. Then you are wondering which version is true. I think that happened a little bit with Don Felder. So who do you believe? I guess if you have a favorite you would believe him. But it would be interesting to see all the different points of view.

Especially since a lot of things happened in a haze of drugs and alcohol and lack of sleep. Wouldn't surprise me if none of them remembered some things correctly!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 06:49 PM
I agree VA. If you took everything they put in there books together, you might have a whole story.

Midnight Visitor
12-13-2013, 07:33 PM
I agree, everyone would have a different take on things if they all wrote a book. I believe this to be true w/any group of people tho. If my brother & I wrote a book on what it was like to be raised by our parents I know the stories would be very different. I read rock bios almost exclusively. I take everything inside w/a grain of salt. I've also talked to someone that wrote the definitive book on groupies. She told me all about the things that got left out as to not insult any of her friends. So there are a lot of variables at play. I like that you guys point this out because I think most people would just pick their favorite member's story and go with it, as noted above. That is unless your fav. was dead drunk for 25+ years. :headscratch:

sodascouts
12-13-2013, 07:49 PM
"Roadwork: Rock and Rolled Turned Inside Out" by Tom Wright and Susan VanHecke. It's available cheap second-hand. Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Roadwork-Rock-Roll-Turned-Inside/dp/1423413008/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386953790&sr=8-1&keywords=roadworks+tom+wright)
I haven't read much of the book but I've a feeling it's special. I felt that rush of excitement like I was reading something fresh and new. It's like seeing old footage (and I'd like to get my hands on his photos and cassette tapes). There's a chapter on the Eagles from a tour in 1980, another on a short tour with JD Souther and there are Joe Walsh bits sprinkled here and there (Joe's a friend dating back to James Gang days). There are b&w photos (several of Joe, one of Don Henley) but they're a bit murky and wouldn't scan well.

Most of the book is about The Who but also the Rolling Stones and the Faces.

ETA: Here's one of his photos (not in the book)
https://www.morrisonhotelgallery.com/photo/default.aspx?photographID=3281

Hmm - I'll have to check that out!

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 09:00 PM
I agree, everyone would have a different take on things if they all wrote a book. I believe this to be true w/any group of people tho. If my brother & I wrote a book on what it was like to be raised by our parents I know the stories would be very different. I read rock bios almost exclusively. I take everything inside w/a grain of salt. I've also talked to someone that wrote the definitive book on groupies. She told me all about the things that got left out as to not insult any of her friends. So there are a lot of variables at play. I like that you guys point this out because I think most people would just pick their favorite member's story and go with it, as noted above. That is unless your fav. was dead drunk for 25+ years. :headscratch:

I like your post midnight. Especially the part about if brothers wrote a book. When I talk to my sister about things that happened when we were kids, we both remember it differently. And we were not high on anything at the time.

sodascouts
12-13-2013, 09:09 PM
Gosh, yes. My younger sister and I are only fourteen months apart and shared most of our life experiences until I left for college, but we remember our childhoods very differently. Why? We are two very different people.

But I digress. I would love to see all the Eagles write autobiographies - not to get the "true story" because that's impossible, but rather because such books not only give you ideas of what happened, but also insight into the band member himself.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 09:21 PM
That is a good point. And that also applies to Don Felder's book. He wrote it the way he saw it, maybe the others did not see it that way but that was his point of view. You have to respect that.

luna65
12-13-2013, 09:29 PM
I've been involved for several years on a biographical project, and it has helped to enforce the realization that all anyone can do is tell their truth, not the truth. I don't believe an objective truth exists when it comes to personal histories. I have documented several instances in which the person I'm chronicling has an entirely different recollection to an event than the other participants, and the reasons why are myriad, many of them political. We tend to want history to be kind, which is why people are most kind to themselves in the telling.

That is one reason I appreciate the doc, because everyone was blunt in various recollections. It takes courage to not only state your truth, but to state it in such a way which displays your own foibles.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 09:42 PM
Yes the DOC definitely did that.

Midnight Visitor
12-13-2013, 09:48 PM
The documentary rules. Seriously it does. I'm forcing myself to take a hiatus because I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out. My husband is going on a trip next month. I'll start watching it again then. He's a huge Eagles fan but I'm a tad embarrassed at how many times he's said to me, "Your watching it again? From the beginning?" :blush: He expects me to jump to the Joe parts but I don't.

Midnight Visitor
12-13-2013, 09:56 PM
P.S. I wonder if anyone here has read the Aerosmith Autobiography? That was interesting in that nearly each chapter was by a different band member. They all told their story. I really thought that was a good idea.

luna65
12-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Yeah Genesis did that as well with their book Chapter and Verse; it's a great way to go about such a project.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I love Aerosmith. I will definitely need to read that one. That is a really good concept.

UndertheWire
12-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Walsh hit the stage at 4pm and plugged his guitar into a small Fender amp. One by one, the other Eagles showed up and plugged in. Joe, looking like a high school music teacher, shouted out, "Barefootin' - in a one, two, three, four." It sounded dangerous right off the bat. Walsh brought a new sound to the Eagles - that gritty guitar of "Life in the Fast Lane" and "Hotel California," plus the Long Run album - and the other band members seemed to want to show their rough edges too, at least at the soundchecks I witnessed on that tour. It was at these afternoon rock-a-thons that the Eagles played down and strip-bar dirty.

The race for the soundcheck was about to begin - whoever got there first chose the songs - and Joe wanted us to ride in the limo...

Glenn Frey had been first at the soundcheck and was sitting at the piano. He wanted to do Ray Charles's "Lonely Avenue." Don Henley sang Ray's part and the rest of the Eagles were the Raelettes. It started out as a piano tune but wound up as a guitar tune, thanks to Walsh. Unforgettable. I managed to get that on cassette.- Tom Wright

Freypower
12-14-2013, 05:25 PM
I would like to hear them do Lonely Avenue as I have Van Morrison's version. What a surprise that Don sang it. :ziplip: Both Don & Glenn are huge fans of Ray Charles.

Midnight Visitor
12-14-2013, 06:25 PM
- Tom Wright

That's it!! I'm ordering the damn book! If only they recorded those sound checks!

UndertheWire
12-14-2013, 06:29 PM
There's not a lot more Eagles but there seems to be plenty of Joe.

sodascouts
12-14-2013, 09:12 PM
Wow, I'd never read about those soundchecks before. How awesome to be able to witness something like that.

luna65
12-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Both Don & Glenn are huge fans of Ray Charles.
Yeah I have daydreams about the two of them in the Trousdale house, listening to a bunch of R&B records, singing along...*dreamy sigh*

Midnight Visitor
12-15-2013, 12:52 PM
"Roadwork: Rock and Rolled Turned Inside Out" by Tom Wright and Susan VanHecke is the book we're discussing.

Walk this Way: The Autobiography of Aerosmith is the book I mentioned earlier.

12-15-2013, 02:39 PM
I've been involved for several years on a biographical project, and it has helped to enforce the realization that all anyone can do is tell their truth, not the truth. I don't believe an objective truth exists when it comes to personal histories. I have documented several instances in which the person I'm chronicling has an entirely different recollection to an event than the other participants, and the reasons why are myriad, many of them political. We tend to want history to be kind, which is why people are most kind to themselves in the telling.

That is one reason I appreciate the doc, because everyone was blunt in various recollections. It takes courage to not only state your truth, but to state it in such a way which displays your own foibles.

I agree with everyone that it is natural for every individual to have their own version of the truth. I expect that anyone who tells a story does so with their own biases, recollections, and value systems. But Luna, I have to say I do have a problem when autobiographies contain lots of contradictions, inconsistencies, and facts that can be easily refuted. To me, it is incumbent upon the author to do some basic fact-checking if they want their story to be viewed as credible. I personally feel cheated as a reader if they neglect to make a good-faith effort to get their version as accurate as possible.

luna65
12-15-2013, 04:32 PM
But Luna, I have to say I do have a problem when autobiographies contain lots of contradictions, inconsistencies, and facts that can be easily refuted. To me, it is incumbent upon the author to do some basic fact-checking if they want their story to be viewed as credible. I personally feel cheated as a reader if they neglect to make a good-faith effort to get their version as accurate as possible.
Oh I agree, and due diligence concerning those facts which can be verified and are considered valid across several accounts absolutely should be done. That's the bedrock of historical research. It's just that there are situations in which a fact might not be verified if there are conflicting versions of details. I have encountered this situation several times in the course of this project, and in one particular case there's no way I can absolutely verify one version over another because the documentation is non-existent and one of the key participants is deceased.

UndertheWire
12-15-2013, 06:34 PM
This talk about conflicting versions of a story makes me think of the Barney Hoskyn's book (Hotel California). It has a wonderful opening with a tale of five naked young men in a sauna and that got used in newpaper articles and promotional blurb (link to an article) (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/sex-drugs-and-the-billiondollar-rise-of-david-geffen-515901.html). There's just one problem. In another book (probably Marc Eliot's), Don Henley tells the same story but with one difference - instead of Don in the sauna, it's JD. I believe Don because a) it's Don-fricking-Henley and he should know if he was there and b) in 1971, JD was more part of that crowd than Don.

i still love that opening.

luna65
12-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Yes it is Don who tells that story in To The Limit.

Here's another version of a conflicting story: in the HotE documentary, Kenny Rogers says it was Don who asked him to come and see Shiloh, but in To The Limit Michael Bowden relates it was Jerry Surratt, who of course was later killed in a highway accident before Shiloh relocated to Los Angeles.

UndertheWire
12-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes it is Don who tells that story in To The Limit.

Here's another version of a conflicting story: in the HotE documentary, Kenny Rogers says it was Don who asked him to come and see Shiloh, but in To The Limit Michael Bowden relates it was Jerry Surratt, who of course was later killed in a highway accident before Shiloh relocated to Los Angeles.
I noticed that one, too. These differences aren't really significant but they do show how easily things gets mixed up.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-15-2013, 10:35 PM
It just shows again that people see and remember things differently. So the way people tell a story is what is sitting in there mind. It is neither the whole truth or a blatant lie.

12-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Oh I agree, and due diligence concerning those facts which can be verified and are considered valid across several accounts absolutely should be done. That's the bedrock of historical research. It's just that there are situations in which a fact might not be verified if there are conflicting versions of details. I have encountered this situation several times in the course of this project, and in one particular case there's no way I can absolutely verify one version over another because the documentation is non-existent and one of the key participants is deceased.

I agree with you here. If there are conflicting versions that can't be verified, then the best anyone can do is to rely on their recollection. However, IMO, there are so many times when seemingly little or no fact-checking is done - all the author does is rely on their recollection. But, I think we agree that if someone is going to write an autobiography and sell it for a profit, then they owe it to their audience to get the facts straight when possible. JMHO

luna65
12-15-2013, 11:45 PM
But, I think we agree that if someone is going to write an autobiography and sell it for a profit, then they owe it to their audience to get the facts straight when possible.
Absolutely! As a researcher I certainly hold to this credo as much as possible; although it can be said that biographies are held to more stringent standards than autobiographies/memoirs.

randymeisnerrocks
12-16-2013, 12:18 AM
The documentary rules. Seriously it does. I'm forcing myself to take a hiatus because I'm afraid I'm going to wear it out. My husband is going on a trip next month. I'll start watching it again then. He's a huge Eagles fan but I'm a tad embarrassed at how many times he's said to me, "Your watching it again? From the beginning?" :blush: He expects me to jump to the Joe parts but I don't.

I could have wrote this myself, except it's Randy for me instead of Joe. My family & co-workers have taken to making fun of me over it! lol

It is great to not feel alone in your obsession. That's why I love you guys!

Brooke
12-16-2013, 02:55 PM
It just shows again that people see and remember things differently. So the way people tell a story is what is sitting in there mind. It is neither the whole truth or a blatant lie.

For sure! I can relate in my own family! One member will remember something that I don't remember at all and vice versa! Happens all the time! And sometimes, over time, 'stories' become the truth in our minds! We have heard it so long that eventually we forget it was 'just a story' and believe it really happened!

ETA: I read Steven Tyler's book, but am thinking I need to read that autobiography too!

UndertheWire
12-23-2013, 09:41 AM
One more paragraph from Tom Wright about soundchecks. It's following a paragraph in which he says soundchecks were infrequent for the Who.

The Eagles, on the other hand, would race each other to soundcheck. Whoever got there first would ppick the tunes, and they rarely had anything to do with the show. It was more like "Stump the Band"." They'd do "Barefootin'" or "Memphis," tons of old bar blues tunes. When the Eagles did them, just pulling them out of the blue, they'd sound spectacular. Even if the guys had never played the songs together before, or couldn't remember the words, they'd fake it. It was breathtaking how good they were, even when they were goofing around.
How I'd love to see some of that! It's the kind of "heaven" that's missing from Don Felder's book.

There's also this about Joe Walsh and the James Gang reunion.

When he's playing with the Eagles, Walsh is the colorful sidekick, the raw rocker in an otherwise fairly mellow band. But he's still the new guy. With the James Gang, he's the chief and leader, Mister Responsibility. Music director and choir coach. In the early days, he'd have to sell his ideas to everyone. Now, the sheer clout of his resume gives him full authority. Still, Joe's trying to discover while leading. These days, he's after the profound like a bloodhound on a scent.

12-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Thanks for posting those quotes, UTW. And I have to agree about how breathtakingly good the Eagles are! :thumbsup:

randybaby
01-05-2014, 03:25 AM
I could have wrote this myself, except it's Randy for me instead of Joe. My family & co-workers have taken to making fun of me over it! lol

It is great to not feel alone in your obsession. That's why I love you guys!
oh , i love all u guys, this is happening to me too with the hote, but also the randy photo tribute!!! cant stop watching it, and feally like part of a family, randy eagles family!!:partytime:

thelastresort
01-05-2014, 09:39 AM
Sorry if this has been asked / answered before (I can't get together the motivation to read 140 posts ;)), but what is the best all-round book if you want an Eagles biography? I'd always assumed Marc Eliot's To The Limit was best?

savannah
01-05-2014, 10:24 AM
On the other hand there is such a thing as too much information & how wide a market there could be for a book by each member.

Yeah, I agree about the too much information especially if it's about the fights or bad personal stuff. I read a book written by groupies once and pretty much hated everyone in the music industry for a while.

Midnight Visitor
01-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I hear what you're saying. Patti Boyd's book made me hate Clapton and dislike George Harrison. Now that's saying something when you dislike George. However, I've regained my respect for George. Clapton? Good guitarist is about all I can.

UndertheWire
01-05-2014, 11:33 AM
Sorry if this has been asked / answered before (I can't get together the motivation to read 140 posts ;)), but what is the best all-round book if you want an Eagles biography? I'd always assumed Marc Eliot's To The Limit was best?
I'd say Marc Eliot. I know it isn't a popular choice here but it seems to be most comprehensive and best researched of the ones I've read. That doesn't means it's perfect, balanced and without errors but at least in most cases he shows where he got his information.

I started to put together notes on some of the other books, so I'll post what I have so far.

"Flying High" by Laura Jackson
It's an easy read and she writes like a fan. In places it read like a novel with the author describing what the characters were thinking and feeling when she has no way of knowing this. The source material appears to be old interviews and other books rather than any new interviews or research and there are some glaring errors (how could she think that the Desperado cover shoot took place in London?).

"Eagles Taking it to the Limit" by Ben Fong-Torres
Possibly the newest of the books, being published in 2011. The author worked for Rolling Stone magazine when the band was in its prime, took part in the famous soft ball game and interviewed the band during the Farewell 1 tour. He makes use of old stories, record reviews and, presumably, his notes and memories . He was there – sort of. There are errors (at one point he mixes up Randy and Bernie) and there isn’t much new content but it’s an easy read and maybe as good an overview of the band’s history as any. And then there are the photos…
Over a hundred of them, mostly colour, many full page. Even Bernie gets two full page photos just of him. If you’re tempted to buy a tour book just for the photos, then this offers much better value. I paid just £5.99. Seriously, the photos are good.

"Hotel California" by Barney Hoskins
This is the one that opens with five naked young men in a sauna.
I really enjoyed this. It has a broader sweep covering The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, CSN&Y, Joni Mitchell, David Geffen which all gives context and perhaps a better perspective. Hoskyns interviewed lots of people, including JD, Jackson and Bernie. Lots of good anecdotes.

randymeisnerrocks
01-05-2014, 01:33 PM
Thank you for the overview! I was experiencing information overload.

Not that it's a bad thing!

shunlvswx
01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Has anyone read Andrew Vaughan's book: The Eagles: An American Band? It has good reviews on Amazon.

UndertheWire
01-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Vaughan's book was mentioned earlier in this thread https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=236078&postcount=91

It also has it's own thread. Comments about the book itself start around page 8
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2658&highlight=vaughan&page=8

luna65
01-06-2014, 01:35 PM
IMO there are only three books you really need:
To The Limit
Eagles Taking It To The Limit
Hotel California

The latter is more about the Avocado Mafia but it's a great read. Although another good book of that ilk is Canyon of Dreams.

UndertheWire
01-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Canyon of Dreams is a gorgeous book. There's only one chapter on the Eagles but it has some different stories and they paint a picture of life in the early days.

thelastresort
01-19-2014, 03:34 PM
Cheers guys. Will take a look in town tomorrow to see if either of the bookshops have Eliot's or Fong-Torres's books and if not I'll Amazon them. Everyone else at uni marks the end of exams by getting drunk and I mark it by buying Eagles books :D

shunlvswx
01-19-2014, 03:38 PM
I bought the Marc Elliot book on Thursday from ebay. I should be getting it sometime this week.

Houston Baby
01-19-2014, 10:22 PM
Cheers guys. Will take a look in town tomorrow to see if either of the bookshops have Eliot's or Fong-Torres's books and if not I'll Amazon them. Everyone else at uni marks the end of exams by getting drunk and I mark it by buying Eagles books :D

Good choice TLR!:thumbsup:

thelastresort
01-21-2014, 09:03 PM
So I've Amazon-ed Marc Eliot's To The Limit in the expectation of it being here early next week. According to the dispatch email they sent me yesterday (Tuesday) it should be here by Thursday. I wouldn't mind usually, but my last exam's on Friday morning and I know if I get the book before then I'll be reading that and not exam notes :|

Tiffanny Twisted
01-21-2014, 09:12 PM
I just bought the book Willin' about Little Feat and the eagles are mentioned in there a bit.
Havent started it yet but will post about it in the book club thread.

thelastresort
01-23-2014, 08:24 AM
To the Limit actually came on Wednesday! Haven't dared to look at it too much yet but I've had a few quick glances: I don't think it'll tell me anything new about their songs but it should offer a lot of insight into the behind the scenes events, a lot like HOTE. Safe to say I have already gathered Don Henley don't care too much for it :lol:

DJ
01-23-2014, 01:15 PM
Read the book by Ben Fong Torres. It was good because there are alot of pictures, especially of Randy!:partytime: Anyway, the History of the Eagles has almost all the same info as the book, so if you've seen History CD and don't want to see the pic's I wouldn't waste $$ on the book.
:soda: "I believe we can Chug All Night".

Tiffanny Twisted
01-23-2014, 07:13 PM
I like my eagles books just because there aren't that many of them around .
good or bad I enjoy them .

luna65
01-23-2014, 07:38 PM
It's funny...I'm in one fandom where there are literally dozens of books (Pink Floyd, and I own over twenty books on them myself) and another with very few (Yes), same as with the Eagles, and it's made me very picky - that and my job as a researcher - good rock bios are hard to come by; a great book for me always has a good number of primary sources and lots of photos.

randybaby
01-23-2014, 09:20 PM
There's a section towards the back where Eliot talks about his problems with Henley over the book

hi can anyone tell me what dvds r available , especially with randy, as i only have felders book and thote, and finally found earybird, but i think i saw a couple of others still with randy, does anyone know where i can get them, which ones r worth getting and im in australia, thanks any info would b apprieciated

randybaby
01-24-2014, 12:40 AM
You can google Eagles Live in Houston 1976 and Eagles Seattle 1977 (I'm pretty sure of the years). I've heard that the Houston one that someone I know got wasn't the greatest quality. They're the only ones other than Earlybird and HOTE that I know of. You can always google for bootlegs of their concerts too. haven't done that yet myself though

thanks so much luvrandy:cheers:

bluefeather
02-01-2014, 09:55 AM
I'm reading Elliot's book at the moment and somebody here said there are mistakes in it and I'm wondering what I should and should not believe, for example the writing credits oh The Long Run, the book says Shmit, Henley, Frey but I don't recall seeing Timothy credited for that song anywhere else:shrug: anyway, enjoying the book

Brooke
02-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I'm reading Elliot's book at the moment and somebody here said there are mistakes in it and I'm wondering what I should and should not believe, for example the writing credits oh The Long Run, the book says Shmit, Henley, Frey but I don't recall seeing Timothy credited for that song anywhere else:shrug: anyway, enjoying the book

The sleeve in my The Long Run cd says written by Don H & Glenn.

sodascouts
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
I believe you can trust the directly quoted stuff, keeping in mind that people remember things differently. Anything where the author is paraphrasing without citing identifiable sources requires outside confirmation to be trusted. At least, that's the case for someone like me, who does a lot of research and understands all too well the fallibility of the researcher/author. I never just take one guy's word for something. It's nothing personal against Eliot; it's my practice in general because even the most well-intentioned person makes mistakes.

02-01-2014, 06:02 PM
I totally agree with your advice, Soda. I have read different versions of the same story way too many times that prevents me from taking any one person's account of an event as the gospel truth, especially if they didn't witness something first hand.

bluefeather
02-01-2014, 06:10 PM
thanks for your advice:)

bluefeather
02-01-2014, 06:31 PM
and Soda,quite professional sounding advice, might that be the teacher in you talking:)

thelastresort
02-02-2014, 12:46 AM
I felt really sorry for Randy today when reading about what he said re: HFO in Eliot's book. Apparently he expected both him and Bernie to be asked back and even thought about how they might fit in with concerts. Obviously that never happened but I can't help but feel sorry for how gutted he must have felt when he realised :(

MaryCalifornia
03-02-2014, 10:24 PM
I ordered To The Limit a couple of days ago from Amazon - it is a used hardback in "good" condition, and I got it for $4.00 which includes shipping :). I look forward to checking it out, and will follow everyone's advice and thoughts here.

tjh532
03-02-2014, 10:55 PM
I look forward to hearing what you think about it. I am going to order the Ben Fong-Torres book.

DJ
03-03-2014, 06:45 PM
I read the Ben Fong-Torres book, it's very good. The best part is there are a BUNCH of great pictures in it. Great read lot's of facts. :rockon:

Tiffanny Twisted
03-03-2014, 07:32 PM
I like the book very much . Have two copies and have read it three times over the years and yes there are great pictures there:thumbsup:

MaryCalifornia
03-10-2014, 10:20 PM
I received To The Limit today, and had just about 5 minutes to check it out, so I fast-forwarded to find where Timothy joins the band. Here is the description:

"He was immediately replaced by the long-haired, rail-thin Timothy Schmit, the musician he'd successfully competed with in 1970 for the bassist slot in Buffalo Springfield, and who'd replaced him once before, in Poco. It was J.D. Souther, who had originally auditioned Schmit for Poco, who urged the Eagles to bring him aboard."

He's got the wrong year, mentions a band that neither Randy nor Timothy was in, and did J.D. Souther have anything to do with Poco??? That was literally the first paragraph I read...so...we'll see how it goes from here.

sodascouts
03-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Yeah, it's got some inaccuracies for sure. A rather inglorious beginning. It's really the Don Henley stuff that's the best, because he had immediate access. The rest of the members... not nearly as much. I still enjoyed it overall, though.

thelastresort
04-12-2014, 09:29 AM
Just got home for Easter from university about half an hour ago. I'd asked for Don Felder's Heaven and Hell for my birthday but it didn't arrive in time last weekend before I had to head back down south. As such I've only literally just now got my hands on it. Something tells me I'll be reading it almost non-stop! Sat down to have a quick flick through and have already rattled off about 10 pages :lol:

(I know it's a bit controversial, but I'm hoping it'll be good for the non-b*tching aspects like how albums got out together etc).

DJ
04-12-2014, 11:24 AM
Read Heaven and Hell recently, I was ok, I thought It would be more insightful on how stuff was done or came together. I give it a c+.
I just ordered To The Limit, I hope it's better.

MaryCalifornia
04-12-2014, 12:33 PM
TLR - I enjoyed Felder's book, especially the first half. Sure, it's all obviously his opinion and is biased, but still a very entertaining, quick read. Let us know your thoughts.

DJ - I just read To the Limit. It was very dense in parts, like, lots of tiny details relating to all of the management changes re: Geffen, Azoff, who was the label, who was the manager, how it all changed in minute detail over the years - that all got boring, at least for me. Do you know if you got the later version with the afterword? I didn't, but I wish I did, I think I'm going to have to order it - apparently he and Henley had a falling out after the first one was published, and he adds some info in the 2nd edition. Also, there are some obvious factual errors re: dates, etc...I look forward to your thoughts and comments on it!

04-12-2014, 02:35 PM
Yeah - I've read every book published about the band that I know about, and, unfortunately, all of them have some errors in them. Also, unfortunately, they all tell just about the same story as well. It's kinda like if you've read one, you've read 'em all. HOWEVER - that didn't stop this fan from enjoying reading them, nonetheless. I'm pretty easy that way! :wink: :grin: As a matter of fact, I've been wanting to refresh my memory and reread them.

UndertheWire
04-12-2014, 03:54 PM
With "To the Limit", it's worth looking through the notes at the end for a few more stories. I liked it because it had quotes from interviews with so many people, sometimes contradictory and that just shows how there isn't just one truth. Where I didn't like it is when the author's bias showed through - he was an east-coast journalist. I liked the business aspects of the book because I have a hard time making sense how the music business worked at that time and understanding why so many of the groups made no money for themselves despite making millions for the record companies.

I find Felder's book disappointing because it doesn't come alive. Earlier in this thread, I wrote about a book by photographer (and sometime road manager, club manager and event manager) Tom Wright. It didn't have much about the Eagles but what there was painted a far more vivid picture. For example, Felder complains about the HFO sound checks but Wright describes the band members racing to get to a sound check on The Long Run tour and that helps explain why Felder found the later sound checks to be lacking. Wright also did a good job of explaining Joe Walsh's devastation when his daughter was killed in 1974 and Smokey's role in Joe's life.

DJ
04-12-2014, 05:25 PM
MC- I'm looking forward to reading it, I hope I ordered 2nd copy. Not sure.

I just wish one of the members would come forward and tell some secrets. We wanna know guys!We know you weren't angels and such and we don't care cuz we LOVE YA!! So Glenn, Don, Randy, Bernie, even Irving, somebody write something on the the group in the early years when we fell in love with them.

Even a wife or girlfriend would do but knowing the Eagles, they had them sign confidentiality contracts. HaHa :laugh:

thelastresort
04-12-2014, 07:43 PM
I have always wondered if any of the guys will do a (general) autobiography - Glenn would probably have the more diverse life story to tell (coming from a rougher background, getting into films etc in the 1980s), but without doubt Joe would have the most awesome read. Sadly I don't think Randy, Bernie or even TBS have done enough to be able to justify writing one, and something tells me Henley is too private / reserved to delve too deep into his life.

MaryCalifornia
04-12-2014, 10:46 PM
TLR - I think that between eight years in Poco and 23 (37 including the hiatus) years in the Eagles, Timothy has plenty that would be interesting to write about, to anyone who is interested in the music business. However, I think his best tales would come from the hundreds of collaborations he has been part of over the past 4 1/2 decades. See here - http://www.allmusic.com/artist/timothy-b-schmit-mn0000604940/credits

(These credits are not even comprehesive - we know of recent records he has sung on that aren't included)

His story would be a major "six degrees of separation" tale. It would be a name-dropping extravaganza!

If nothing else, I would love to hear about his transition time into the Eagles and what that was like for him - to go from being frustrated with nothing going on with Poco, to all of a sudden being in the biggest band in the world, and having to deal with all that being an Eagle entails, and then to having his song be their hit on the album - who wouldn't want to hear about that??!!

Agree that Joe's story would be FANTASTIC, and we must have it!!!!!!!!!

tjh532
04-12-2014, 10:56 PM
I agree Mary - I think that even though Poco may not have had third encore parties, they certainly did their share of partying! And I think that anyone who has navigated the music world for as long as he has would have some pretty interesting stories. He is so private, however, I don't think he would share any details about his personal life.

I think that they all would have an interesting story to tell. The only guys we really learned about (in regards to their early life) in HOTE was Don and Glenn. And I would really love to hear Joe's story.

thelastresort
04-13-2014, 08:01 AM
TLR - I think that between eight years in Poco and 23 (37 including the hiatus) years in the Eagles, Timothy has plenty that would be interesting to write about, to anyone who is interested in the music business.

I know, I'm sure all of the guys have some very interesting stories to tell; but I was looking at it from a general perspective - any (general member of the public) who is interested in rock will have heard of Glenn, Henley and Joe; however I honestly believe some would be dumbfounded as to who TBS is. Similarly the fact that Glenn and Henley 'ruled the roost' for so long means they probably have more stuff to talk about, and similarly TBS would have to be careful about what he said if they were still together.

Restless Heart
04-13-2014, 08:42 AM
I would like to read books by all of them. I'm going to order Don Felder's. I'll keep in mind that it's biased, but I am still interested.

tjh532
04-13-2014, 11:40 AM
I would like to read books by all of them. I'm going to order Don Felder's. I'll keep in mind that it's biased, but I am still interested.

I really quite liked the book. It was the first one I had read about the Eagles and I learned some interesting facts. You can tell he's biased, but there are some good stories in there, and it does give you an idea of what their life was like back then.

UndertheWire
04-13-2014, 11:58 AM
It's certainly worth a read and then there's the 75-page discussion thread on here. I'm not kidding.

UndertheWire
04-13-2014, 12:19 PM
I would really like to read the unplublished 900-page Eagles biography that was written by Ed Sanders in the early 80s. As an authorised biography, it might be missing some of the dirt, but at least he was writing without the tricks thirty years plays on memories.

The book's mentioned in an old People magazine article (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20083446,00.html).

04-13-2014, 12:21 PM
Yeah - as I said before, I think all of the books about the band are entertaining in their own way. You just have to keep in mind that you can't take everything in them as gospel truth. One of my main complaints about Felder's book is that there really wasn't hardly anything new to fans like me who had read all the other books. I was hoping for a lot more insider info about the inner workings of the band, but mostly, I found it to be his spin on the same stuff I already knew about. My favorite part was also the beginning learning about his childhood because that was new information for me.

As far as the other Eagles, I personally think any of them would have a fascinating story to tell. Don and Glenn have both previously hinted about writing their autobiographies.

tjh532
04-13-2014, 01:03 PM
I would really like to read the unplublished 900-page Eagles biography that was written by Ed Sanders in the early 80s. As an authorised biography, it might be missing some of the dirt, but at least he was writing without the tricks thirty years plays on memories.

The book's mentioned in an old People magazine article (http://www.people.com/people/archive/article/0,,20083446,00.html).

Yeah, that book would be an interesting read. I wonder whatever happened to it? Anyone out there know if it ever got published?

And this gave me a chuckle - from the People magazine article: "Unlike, say, the Beach Boys, who have survived into middle age by recycling their '50s hits, the Eagles have no notions of becoming a musical museum. Sure, Frey says, he might consider working with Henley. But, he adds with the old insouciance, "I just rule out the possibility of putting the Eagles back together for a Lost Youth and Greed tour."

Haha - never say never! I know that they have produced new material, but I would say that the HOTE tour is definitely a 'musical museum', albeit- one we will willingly pay $ to go see:laugh:

DJ
04-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Yeah, that book would be an interesting read. I wonder whatever happened to it? Anyone out there know if it ever got published?

And this gave me a chuckle - from the People magazine article: "Unlike, say, the Beach Boys, who have survived into middle age by recycling their '50s hits, the Eagles have no notions of becoming a musical museum. Sure, Frey says, he might consider working with Henley. But, he adds with the old insouciance, "I just rule out the possibility of putting the Eagles back together for a Lost Youth and Greed tour."

Haha - never say never! I know that they have produced new material, but I would say that the HOTE tour is definitely a 'musical museum', albeit- one we will willingly pay $ to go see:laugh:

Yes I would love to see that 900 page Book...

DJ
04-13-2014, 04:02 PM
That's a great article. I believe, in my own opinion, if they had not broken up when they did, they would have imploded! Their music was still very sellable but their corrupt lifestyle that came along with the music and the money was bound to destroy them physically and mentally! We are very fortunate to have them around today if what little we Do know about them is true. They did themselves and their fans a great service by taking a break. Randy and Bernie figured that out a little bit sooner than the others...

Hope this is the correct Thread for this comment if not it can be moved. Thx

ktdids
04-13-2014, 10:17 PM

Can't remember where I read it, but I think Don H. has this manuscript somewhere in his house, and he said "That's where it's going to stay if he can help it!". I'm sure Don is secretly a hoarder to some degree, what with his 1962 John Deere tractor and furniture from old hangouts/rehearsal places! Anyway, if he's got it, who knows if we'll ever see it!

Restless Heart
04-15-2014, 02:12 PM
It's certainly worth a read and then there's the 75-page discussion thread on here. I'm not kidding.

I believe it. The documentary thread was over 200 pages. I love a board with a lot of discussion going on.

I'll check it out once I've read the book.

UndertheWire
05-11-2014, 06:38 PM
Here's an audio interview with Ben Fong-Torres about his book "Taking it to the Limit":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPgzpzUgLk4

Houston Baby
05-11-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks UTW!

UndertheWire
06-07-2014, 02:33 PM
It looks like Andrew Vaughan may be having another go. A 400-page paperback to be released in November?
http://www.amazon.com/Eagles-FAQ-Thats-Classic-Superstars/dp/1480385417/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402165701&sr=1-7&keywords=andrew+vaughan

If the Beatles wrote the soundtrack of the swinging 60s, then the Eagles did the same for the cynical 70s. The story of the Eagles is also the story of most artists of their timethe drugs, the music, the excesses, and the piles of cash. But the Eagles took it to the limit. And in Don Henley and Glenn Frey they had two songwriters who intuitively understood and accurately portrayed the changing America they lived in. They perfected the California sound, shifted power from record company to artist, and pioneered album-oriented rock. Eagles songs of the period are as memorable as any ever written, and their most popular album, Hotel California, became a timeless record of 70s decadence. In The Eagles FAQ, music critic Andrew Vaughan brings an insiders view into the various chapters of the groups fascinating history. He shows how they blended the best folk, rock, and country sounds of the 60s into a worldwide soundtrack of the 70s while challenging the industry status quo with a new business model. The story of their rise, fall, and rebirth is all heretheir mega-selling smashes, their tensions and breakups, the band members solo work, and their triumphant reunion and continued place at the top of the rock-and-roll tree.

Houston Baby
06-08-2014, 11:54 AM
Thanks UTW! I just pre-ordered it. Don't know if it will have any new info but I needed it for my EAGLES library. :hilarious:

thelastresort
06-08-2014, 12:22 PM
The tagline confuses me on that - 'All that's left to know about classic rock's superstars'. If it weren't for the title you could be forgiven for thinking it had nothing to do with the Eagles - it's very unspecific.

UndertheWire
06-08-2014, 12:56 PM
The tagline confuses me on that - 'All that's left to know about classic rock's superstars'. If it weren't for the title you could be forgiven for thinking it had nothing to do with the Eagles - it's very unspecific.
It's one of a series, each on a different band with a different author, so there's a pattern. Others are:
"The Who FAQ: All that's left to know about fity years of maxium R&B",
"Rush FAQ: All that's left to know about rock's greatest power trio",
"Nirvana FAQ: All that's left to know about the most important band of the 1990s",
"Elvis FAQ: All that's left to know about the king's recorded works".

This may just be Andrew Vaughan's earlier book repackaged with fewer pcitures and more lists.

GlennLover
06-08-2014, 02:12 PM
This may just be Andrew Vaughan's earlier book repackaged with fewer pcitures and more lists.

That was my thought as well. I'll be checking on this before I order it, although, like HB I'll probably order it just because it is a book about the Eagles.

Witchy Woman
06-08-2014, 05:27 PM
Bought The Eagles - An American Band on clearance for 12 bucks at the B&N the other day. I will check it out when I have free time. I figure even if it sucks it was a pretty good deal !!

Houston Baby
06-08-2014, 09:55 PM
That's a great deal WW! I don't remember how much it was originally but I know it was definitely NOT $12.00. Good find! :thumbsup:

DJ
06-09-2014, 04:29 PM
I am still getting throug
Heven to Hell- kinda boring
To The Limit-Not bad but I'm a slow reader, but it's good so far.

UndertheWire
06-18-2014, 06:07 AM
There's a page on the band's time in Colorado in a book called "Colorado Rocks!". You can read it by going to amazon, choosing the "Look inside" feature and searching on "Eagles".
There's a nice quote from Don and Bernie talks about Glyn Johns.
There are also pages on Joe Walsh, Poco, Stone Canyon Band, Flying Burrito Bros.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0871089300/ref=rdr_ext_tmb

sodascouts
06-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Cool! Thanks for the tip!

thelastresort
06-29-2014, 10:33 AM
Had a look in a discount bookshop I passed in Liverpool killing time before the concert on Thursday, and found Ben Fong-Torres's book down from £20 to £5 ($34 to $8.50). Needless to say it was purchased :D

Not as in-depth as Eliot but still cracking value with some brilliant pictures. One or two bits and bobs I didn't know but if you were an Eagles newbie or just generally interested it would be a great read.

tjh532
06-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Had a look in a discount bookshop I passed in Liverpool killing time before the concert on Thursday, and found Ben Fong-Torres's book down from £20 to £5 ($34 to $8.50). Needless to say it was purchased :D

Not as in-depth as Eliot but still cracking value with some brilliant pictures. One or two bits and bobs I didn't know but if you were an Eagles newbie or just generally interested it would be a great read.

Agreed! I bought it used off Amazon a while back for a song, and the pictures alone were worth it :)

DivineDon
06-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Agreed! I bought it used off Amazon a while back for a song, and the pictures alone were worth it :)

Oh goodie, had to buy an academic book today on Amazon and decided I needed something to cheer me up so I bought the Ben Fong Torres' book as it was reduced to four pounds - glad I did now if it has yummy photos :thumbsup:

tjh532
06-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Divine - you will love it :) As Last Resort said, if you saw the HOTE doc, there isn't a lot of new information there (a few tidbits) and it has a few mistakes. But it is well written, and I enjoyed it.

DivineDon
07-01-2014, 12:34 PM
Thanks TJH, I need an Eagles fix. I've been stuck in front of the laptop for the last two weeks only occasionally raising my head to tune into The Border.

Some Henley Homeopathy always works :hilarious:

UndertheWire
07-03-2014, 09:20 AM
In Marc Eliot's book, he talks about the HFO tour and recording and in particular about how it didn't include any songs written by Randy or Bernie. (There was also an interview with Randy from the 90s where he voiced this complaint and I believe Don Felder repeats it in his book). For Randy, this mattered because it meant he didn't receive any songwriting royalties from HFO. I wonder if the band took note of this and if it might be one of the reasons why Glenn started to sing TITTL (apart from the obvious that it's a good song).

TITTL found its way onto the set-list for the Millenium Shows and continued on the 2001 tour (the first since HFO) and has appeared frquently ever since. It was also recorded live for "Selected Works" and "Farewell 1". All of this means income for Randy - something that those who insist it should be retired "out of respect for Randy " are missing.

MaryCalifornia
07-03-2014, 02:21 PM
UTW, we had a detailed discussion about this topic a while back, no idea which thread it is in, and I can't remember if you were a party to the discussion. If I recall correctly, with some semi-expert advice, we determined that there are at least four types of royalties that can be paid out to a writer of a song - when the song is played on the radio, when the song is licensed for a commercial or other marketing ad purposes, when sheet music is sold, and for live performances.

The only royalty that Randy missed out on was the "performance" royalty, and nobody on the board had any idea how much that would be. I had ventured that it is probably similar to radio play - i.e. pennies on the dollar. If the Eagles played TITTL 100 times on the tour, he would probably be entitled to about $10. My guess was Randy was disappointed to have his big song left out of the set list, and it's easier to express that in financial terms. Not saying he didn't lose out financially, he says he did and I believe him, but in the world of Eagles money, I can't imagine his losses were substantial. UNLESS he had a clause in his exit agreement that overrode the usual royalty payment terms, wherein if they played it in concert he got paid - that would be interesting, but I can't believe Glenn and Don would agree to something like that.

UndertheWire
07-03-2014, 03:29 PM
I was part of that discussion and I was thinking of the songwriter royalties for both the live performance and for sales of media containing recordings of those live performances. For an Eagles tour, the performance royalties may not be insignificant as they are based on a percentage of the box office. However, I haven't managed to find that percentage.

MaryCalifornia
07-03-2014, 04:35 PM
What I can't figure out is how they get their royalties from tribute bands, there are so many - who is keeping track? Do those bands have to clear the songs first? They must have to - how do they report the gate receipts to Eagles management?

And yes, HFO album/DVD have been successful - that's where the big $$$ is - that's what he is still missing out on.

UndertheWire
07-03-2014, 06:05 PM
My mind is spinning from trying to understand these loyalty arrangements. Each songwriter is a member of a Performing Rights Organisation and in this case I think it's ASCAP. ASCAP collect fees or licenses from venues and distribute to their members. They work out the distributions based on surveys and samples. For live venues this includes collecting set-lists from the 300 top-grossing tours and selected major venues. link (http://www.ascap.com/members/payment/keepingtrack.aspx)

Anyway, my point was that after HFO, Randy's song has become a regular part of the repetoire including two recordings.

UndertheWire
08-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Has anyone read Joe Vitale's book? I know it wouldn't dish any dirt but does he have any good stories?

This is from an interview with Classicbands (http://www.classicbands.com/JoeVitaleInterview.html):

There's no dirt in this book. None. Only because there's always something great to say about everybody. These people are my friends. If anybody would have a family problem or a drug problem or any kind of problem; none of us are immune to any of that, but it's very personnel stuff. These are my friends. I just wouldn't do that. I couldn't go to bed at night knowing I told some stupid, private story about someone who was my friend who trusted me and trusted these words to me when they were talking to me. I was with The Eagles for awhile. I get calls all the time. They're writing a book about The Eagles. "What can you tell me?" I say "nothing!" I can tell you nothing 'cause I know what you guys want. I can say this, these guys are great guys, great musicians, great artists. Go see 'em! (laughs)

08-02-2014, 11:55 AM
UTW - I read the book and really enjoyed it - and it's true that there is no dirt. While I guess Joe could be criticized for glossing over things, it was still a fun read that I thought was very entertaining. We have a thread for the book, but since it primarily involved stories about Joe W., it is in his forum ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1359

I realize I actually forgot to post anything in the thread after I finished reading the book. I'll have to go back and do that sometime.

NightMistBlue
01-07-2015, 10:45 AM
This isn't an Eagles book per se, but there is a fair amount of Eagles and Azoff content: the Tom King biography of David Geffen called "The Operator." It's a fascinating (and frequently appalling) read for both rock music fans and anyone interested in power, money and success. There's a scene of a young Glenn Frey and Jackson Browne skinny dipping in Geffen's pool too. :)

The book is not new - it came out in 2001, but I was reminded of it when reading through the HOTE thread where a number of people were opining about Geffen. I was actually surprised that Geffen agreed to be interviewed for the documentary, as he is notoriously vindictive towards those who've conflicted with him in business. Perhaps he just cherished the opportunity to publicly call Henley an "ingrate."

UndertheWire
01-07-2015, 11:15 AM
Glenn and Don were interviewed for "Inventing David Geffen", so maybe that was part of the deal. Thanks for the book recommendation - I've just ordered a copy.

I'm not sure this is a recommendation, but anyone who has ever tried to understand the legal or financial aspects might be interested "All You Need to Know About The Music Business" by Donald S Passmore. After following the "fast track" route through the book, mostly what I've learned is that it's a very complicated business with sharks everywhere. When you read about a tour earning a huge gross, remember that there are many, many people taking a cut before it gets to the band.

NightMistBlue
01-07-2015, 03:31 PM
Right back atcha, UnderTheWire - I'm now hunting for a copy of the Inventing David Geffen program.

Do you guys really recommend Marc Eliot's "To the Limit"? The reviews on Amazon on mostly negative. They make it sound like the book only praises Henley, while everyone else is trashed and their contributions to the band's music and success is belittled.

Also, I don't want the groupies 'n orgies tales to tarnish my opinion of sweet Randy :)

UndertheWire
01-07-2015, 04:01 PM
You may be able to view the Geffen Doc on the PBS site (it's region-locked so I can't test it).
http://video.pbs.org/video/2305433189/

Marc Eliot's book is the most comprehensive one on the band. It's pretty well-researched with lots of new (at the time) interviews with people close to the band rather than relying on old press interviews. Henley provided extensive feedback on an early draft and even met with Eliot but ultimately was unhappy with the book. Even so, there's a lot of quotes and insight from Henley's side which does make the book a little too much about Henley. Also, my impression is that Eliot is very much an East Coast music journalist who doesn't quite get the Eagles. There's not a lot on groupies and orgies.

NightMistBlue
01-07-2015, 04:31 PM
OK good, I'll take the plunge then. :)

Freypower
01-07-2015, 05:06 PM
Right back atcha, UnderTheWire - I'm now hunting for a copy of the Inventing David Geffen program.

Do you guys really recommend Marc Eliot's "To the Limit"? The reviews on Amazon on mostly negative. They make it sound like the book only praises Henley, while everyone else is trashed and their contributions to the band's music and success is belittled.

Also, I don't want the groupies 'n orgies tales to tarnish my opinion of sweet Randy :)

Take the plunge if you must, but the reviews are correct.

thelastresort
01-07-2015, 08:56 PM
Aye, it's a decent enough read but not great. It's also interesting to read Henley and Eliot's clashes at the end of the book, there's some very choice words used!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-08-2015, 08:59 PM
There might be reviews on here somewhere as well, I know there was a thread that pointed out the errors in the book. There was too much backstory on a few things that slowed it down and encouraged me to read another book for a while. It is sided towards Henley, a lot, and if that was the only book a person read, you'd think that Glenn was Henley's sideman. Lastly, from my point of view, it wasn't written well. Regardless of facts and inaccuracies, his style of writing didn't do a lot for me. I know he's written other books about other bands, but he blew his chance of writing a great book on this one, so I have zero interest in reading others. Having an inside track to Henley on this should have made it an incredible book instead of the 'blah' that it turned out to be.

sodascouts
01-09-2015, 03:05 PM
I found the book interesting and worth reading, but as with anything, you can't take everything in it as gospel truth.

I'm going to check out the book on Geffen and the music industry book. Thanks for the recs, guys!

NightMistBlue
01-23-2015, 03:13 PM
I'm almost finished with the Marc Eliot book. Very interesting. There is a lot of candid content from Mr. Henley (whether told directly to the author or culled from other sources I don't know), who I would have thought would rather chew glass than talk about his romantic relationships.

The two pages devoted to Randy's leaving the band were sad and kind of alarming, i.e. the harsh things that Azoff and DH had to say about Randy's character. History of the Eagles gave the impression that Glenn was largely responsible for pushing Randy out, but "To the Limit" leaves the impression that Henley had even more of a problem with Randy, whereas Glenn had been mostly patient with him. Anyway, Glenn refused to accept Randy's apology for the "Knoxville incident" and that was that.

sodascouts
01-23-2015, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I've said this elsewhere, but it seems that Glenn and Randy actually had a pretty good relationship for a while. Glyn Johns talks about how Glenn and Randy would always hang out together during the sessions for the first album, sneaking joints. Glenn asked Randy to sing "Most of Us Are Sad", which is pretty significant considering that Glenn was basically saying "I wrote this song, but I think you will sound better singing it." I know of no other time where Glenn has handed over a song he wrote by himself to someone else to sing. At that point, Don was writing with Bernie.

I think when Glenn and Don became BFFs during Desperado, Randy started to feel excluded, and viewed Don as coming in between him. Still he felt closer to Glenn than Don. He asked Glenn to play lead guitar on "Too Many Hands" and "Try and Love Again" - that wasn't forced upon him. Glenn typically stepped back when it came to lead guitar parts, but Randy requested he do it. In fact, "Try and Love Again" is the ONLY song on Hotel California where Glenn plays lead guitar, and it was at Randy's behest.

Even watching the History of the Eagles documentary in some of that old concert footage... Glenn is the one who comes over to Randy and gives him props after TITTL. You can see him actively encouraging Randy, moreso than the other guys.

So, when you go a little deeper than the generalizations made in the documentary, you see that the Randy/Glenn relationship is a lot more complex than the simplified soundbite version we're presented with... sadly, though, that's the version a lot of people have latched onto. Thus, Glenn gets vilified and Henley gets a free pass, despite how Henley pours contempt all over Randy in interviews - he's the one that accuses Randy of being up all night drinking and whoring; Glenn says nothing about that. I say this not to make Don H look bad, but to point out the irony that so many people make Glenn the bad guy when it comes to Randy. To be fair, Randy's fight with Glenn at the end was the breaking point, but before then, it seems that Glenn was his ally.

I wonder what Randy would say?

MaryCalifornia
01-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Ya know, I was just wondering today if we have seen any pictures of Randy with either Glenn or Don post-1977, other than at the RRHOF ceremony. We have a couple of him with Timothy from over the decades, and they even performed together (Richard Marx). Any contact with Don or Glenn that we know of, ever???

Freypower
01-23-2015, 06:03 PM
Ya know, I was just wondering today if we have seen any pictures of Randy with either Glenn or Don post-1977, other than at the RRHOF ceremony. We have a couple of him with Timothy from over the decades, and they even performed together (Richard Marx). Any contact with Don or Glenn that we know of, ever???

No photos that I know of although the two of them appeared on his One More Song album.

I feel I should point out that there is a shot in HOTE where Glenn is wearing his Eagles jacket, and appears to look at Randy in a way which suggests extreme annoyance and/or frustration. In the HOTE video of Lyin' Eyes Glenn looks over at Randy and says something like 'come on' as if he feels Randy isn't keeping up with the song, or whatever (unless I have misinterpreted it & it's him encouraging Randy as Soda says).

And yet everything Soda says about the relationship is true, plus Glenn's enthusiasm about giving Randy TITTL. The incidents described above may just be him exercising his leadership and not necessarily a personal thing.

NightMistBlue
01-23-2015, 06:09 PM
In the 1988 video interview that I linked before (the one on YouTube with the Gene Clark interview), Randy said that he kept in touch with "Henley and Don Felder" but hadn't seen or spoken to the other guys in awhile.

Don Felder claims in his book that Henley snubbed Randy's wife at the Hall of Fame soiree when she asked to take a photo of him with her husband. Henley supposedly "turned on his heel and walked away."

Oh, these complicated men...

Quoting Soda: He asked Glenn to play lead guitar on "Too Many Hands" and "Try and Love Again" - that wasn't forced upon him. Glenn typically stepped back when it came to lead guitar parts, but Randy requested he do it. In fact, "Try and Love Again" is the ONLY song on Hotel California where Glenn plays lead guitar, and it was at Randy's behest.

Didn't know that - thank you. Randy was reaching out to his old friend. Of course we don't know what state of mind or health dear Randy is in now. I just send him love and light.

MaryCalifornia
01-23-2015, 11:17 PM
No photos that I know of although the two of them appeared on his One More Song album.

Well, I think this says a lot about their relationship. That they agreed to be on his album and then actually performed...they must have been on decent terms. Sounds like no hard feelings. Like if Felder had asked them to be on his album haha!

DJ
01-23-2015, 11:53 PM
I saw an interview Randy did. He said he called Irving to ask about the Hell Freezes over tour I quote what Randy said Irv said. Yep they're touring I'll tell Don you said Hi. Click... SAD!

NightMistBlue
01-28-2015, 03:32 PM
They don't call him (IA) Satan for nothing :)

Curiously, it was Randy's accountant who urged him to make that phone call. http://www.westword.com/1995-01-11/music/taken-past-the-limit/

I just find that interesting.

Back to the subject of Eagles books, of which there are surprisingly few. They're only one of the biggest bands in rock history and sold more albums than anyone in the 20th century. I would have thought that Hotel California would at least rate one of those 33 1/3 books that examine the making of the album and analyze each song. Shoot, Kanye West got one, why not our boys: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_7/188-2654786-0117402?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=33+1+3+book+series&sprefix=33+1%2F3+%2Cstripbooks%2C346

01-28-2015, 11:22 PM
Just a guess, but I'd bet the band isn't too upset about being overlooked in the 33 1/3 book series. :grin:

Funk 50
01-31-2015, 10:19 AM
I've bought a couple of these books in the past. After getting a Joe Walsh one, I'd question their accuracy as much as the biographical stuff.

http://www.guitarworld.com/learn-eight-classic-eagles-songs-new-bookcd-eagles-acoustic

NightMistBlue
02-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Ooh nice, Funk! I'm tempted to buy that Eagles: Acoustic guitar book. I have the other (electric) Eagles book & CD from the "Play Along" series, but I must say the song selection is a little disappointing.

NightMistBlue
02-03-2015, 11:46 AM
Marc Shapiro wrote one called The Long Run, which is just as good as any other.

Hmmm... and it's only a penny (used copy). I'll give it a try. My Eagles library is growing!

What about this Laura Jackson tome, "Flying High"? The cover blurb referring to the band's "insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies" does not bode well.

Freypower
02-03-2015, 04:34 PM
Hmmm... and it's only a penny (used copy). I'll give it a try. My Eagles library is growing!

What about this Laura Jackson tome, "Flying High"? The cover blurb referring to the band's "insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies" does not bode well.

Flying High is my favourite because it treats Glenn with the respect he deserves. The others don't, especially Eliot. Shapiro is a hodge podge of old interviews with no new information & I don't recommend it.

UndertheWire
02-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I don't remember much detail on the "insatiable appetite for drugs and groupies".

I've read the first 200 pages or so of the Geffen book and it provides good background of the business side of the music business at that time. I'm not sure how much I trust the detail because a couple of the Eagles stories have minor errors compared with the source they reference (Marc Eliot's book and another called Mansion on the Hill).

NightMistBlue
02-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Oh no! I'll have to read the Tom King book (on Geffen) again, at least the Eagles parts. I listened to the audiobook in 2009, long before my conversion to Eaglesmania. How dismaying about the inaccuracies; the book was praised for its strong research. The author passed away - he was only in his 40s I think - a couple of years after The Operator was published.

I want to check out "Heaven is Under Our Feet: A Book for Walden Woods too. A woman I work with has a copy autographed sweetly by Mr. Henley - a friend got it for her at a local book signing. It says, "Rosemarie, I've heard you're very beautiful. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see you." What a charmer, that Don.

Brooke
02-04-2015, 11:01 AM
Wow, what a nice autograph! Sweet Don!

UndertheWire
02-04-2015, 04:02 PM
The errors in the Tom King book are minor - he's taken a story from another source and tried to simplify it but instead loses accuracy. For example, Henley originally told Cameron Crowe the story of Geffen in the sauna with Glenn, Jackson, JD and Ned Doheney but when King retells it, he puts Henley in the sauna, too.

In Mansion on the Hill by Fred Goodman, there's a good chapter on the Eagles and their management problems. The author interviewed Glenn Frey, JD Souther, Don Henley, Ned Doheney, Irving Azoff, John Hartmann, Harlan Goodman, John Boylan, Paul Ahearn and others in 1992/1993. i've seen bits of it in other books, but this is the clearest and fullest account.

DivineDon
02-05-2015, 10:58 AM
A woman I work with has a copy autographed sweetly by Mr. Henley - a friend got it for her at a local book signing. It says, "Rosemarie, I've heard you're very beautiful. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to see you." What a charmer, that Don.

Talk about smooth!!! Don could teach James Bond a thing or two. :heart::heart:

NightMistBlue
02-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Need I mention it was a male friend who got the autograph for Rosemarie. Don Juan was trying to help a comrade out :)

UndertheWire
02-10-2015, 05:21 PM
Has anyone heard of "Palm Tree 13" by Camden Joy? Here's a review at goodreads:

A western starring all of the country-rock stars of the Southern California seventies. Glenn Frey is fistfighting hero, bemoaning his drowned horse. It turns out that the whole western is only going on in the heads of the self-obsessed musicians, who have ritualistically eaten handfulls of tequila worms that they have been saving all summer. Hilarious.
I'm guessing it's not one for fans.

sodascouts
02-10-2015, 10:50 PM
That can't be for real!

NightMistBlue
02-11-2015, 10:39 AM
It sounds intriguing, very imaginative:
http://www.amazon.com/Palm-Tree-13-Camden-Joy/dp/0970085885

DJ
02-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I just ordered the book Canyon of Dreams from Barnes and Noble. Amazon surprisingly was sold out. It depicts the famous people that lived in Laurel Canyon during the 70's. Henry Diltz has photography in it. The Eagles are suppose to be featured in it. It is in paperback and hardcover. I got the paperback not very expensive. Hope it's good. I'll report back.

NightMistBlue
02-11-2015, 05:35 PM
I received my copy this week - it's really lovely. I enjoyed all of Randy's quotes. There is at least one Henry Diltz photo, of Glenn and his ol' 55 Gladys. Henry talks about the contrast of photographing Glenn and Randy, with their differing personalities and energies: sensitive Pisces man Randy vs. outgoing, extroverted Glenn.

UndertheWire
02-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Has anyone read any of Rand Bishop's books on songwriting? It seems he hung out at the Troubadour and his books include anecdotes about that time, including tales of one-upmanship from his rivalry with Glenn.

Google books allows you to read a sample (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SiZtBgAAQBAJ&pg=PT126&lpg=PT126&dq=%22jimmy+bowen%22+%22Glenn+Frey%22&source=bl&ots=8d4BPn9a2F&sig=xyMHd56a9eRqT3ASwECmrKRCN7M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BKDtVM2bHI3maonSgtgM&ved=0CEYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22jimmy%20bowen%22%20%22Glenn%20Frey%22&f=false) from one of the books with Eagles/Frey anecdotes on pages 112-114.

Freypower
02-25-2015, 05:45 PM
Has anyone read any of Rand Bishop's books on songwriting? It seems he hung out at the Troubadour and his books include anecdotes about that time, including tales of one-upmanship from his rivalry with Glenn.

Google books allows you to read a sample (https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=SiZtBgAAQBAJ&pg=PT126&lpg=PT126&dq=%22jimmy+bowen%22+%22Glenn+Frey%22&source=bl&ots=8d4BPn9a2F&sig=xyMHd56a9eRqT3ASwECmrKRCN7M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=BKDtVM2bHI3maonSgtgM&ved=0CEYQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=%22jimmy%20bowen%22%20%22Glenn%20Frey%22&f=false) from one of the books with Eagles/Frey anecdotes on pages 112-114.

I've never heard of him, and therefore I was unaware of any rivalry with Glenn, so what he had to say didn't mean anything to me.