PDA

View Full Version : Dr Joe!

glenneaglesfan
09-19-2008, 04:04 AM
In 2001, Joe was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Music from his old college, Kent State University.

Here is a short piece about it, from Natural Progressions, issue 26, January 2002.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c96/Glenneaglesfan/Joe/DrJoe.jpg

ticky
09-19-2008, 10:18 AM
GEF- Thanks for posting that! it was pretty interesting to read and gave me some more insight into Joe's brief college years. (I was an English major with an ART minor... briefly..) and doesnt he look adorable in his mortarboard?? *G*

sodascouts
09-19-2008, 11:37 AM
Joe looks so pleased. It's cool that he values his time at Kent State - a lot of musicians blow off college. Even though he didn't finish, he still gives it props. And now he's got an honorary doctorate!

I wonder if his time there inspired All Night Laundry Mat Blues? ;)

Thanks for posting this, GEF!

Freypower
09-19-2008, 07:54 PM
That is so sweet. He looks like a medieval scholar. I rank that with the photo of Mark Knopfler in his honorary doctorate robes from Sunderland.

Mrs Henley
09-25-2008, 07:46 PM
wow that's great thanks GEF! I never knew this! :D

MikeA
09-26-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm probably going to get this wrong for I'm working from memory and mine has just about all been used up!

I think I recall from the Mark Lang interview with Joe that Joe said he took courses in physics or electronics or something like that at Kent State. He used that knowledge to dig into his equipment to squeeze the most out of his pickups and amps and pedals. Or maybe his skills with electronics all stemmed from his infatuation with HAM radio which was a hobby he picked up several years before Kent State when he and his Mom and Dad lived in New York.

Also, Joe has set up a scholarship fund awarded to those seeking an education who have musical talent. He only sets up the funding for that scholarship...he does not participate in the selection process. I think it is $10,000.00 a year. This as only been going on for either one or two years.

Again, I dredging something from memory would stand to be corrected without defense or offense on my part..

ticky
09-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I'm probably going to get this wrong for I'm working from memory and mine has just about all been used up!

I think I recall from the Mark Lang interview with Joe that Joe said he took courses in physics or electronics or something like that at Kent State. He used that knowledge to dig into his equipment to squeeze the most out of his pickups and amps and pedals. Or maybe his skills with electronics all stemmed from his infatuation with HAM radio which was a hobby he picked up several years before Kent State when he and his Mom and Dad lived in New York.

I think you're right Mike, I remember in that interview he said he studied electronics and used it to play "Frankenstein" with his amps and pickups. I dont know if it was in that interview but he also said he'd play his guitar with the mutated *G* amps in the stairwells of his dorm. Good thing he wasnt in the quiet dorm *G*

MikeA
09-26-2008, 06:27 PM
he'd play his guitar with the mutated *G* amps in the stairwells of his dorm. Good thing he wasnt in the quiet dorm *G*

I believe it was in that interview Ticky. It's sort of like singing in a shower except better. Don't need an amp really....just an acoustic guitar...the acoustics are unbelievable in a concrete or brick stairwell! So many angles to bounce the sound off of!

I urge any of you who haven't heard or read the transcription of that interview by Mark Lang to do so. It is, according to Joe, the best interview he's ever had done! Joe admits freely that Mark knows more about Joe than Joe does! You used to be able to get that interview off of Mark's MySpace Blog...but I just looked and it isn't there any more. There ought to be someone around somewhere who has it though :idea:

JoeFan
09-28-2008, 03:59 AM
I hope someone has it, I would like to hear it.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-15-2010, 02:41 PM
Well I thought I'd revive this thread since today is the 9th anniversary of Joe receiving his honorary doctorate from Kent State University. GEF posted an interesting article at the beginning of this thread about the event if you are interested in reading more about it. Congratulations again to Dr. Joe!