PDA

View Full Version : Chicago, IL 9-24-08, 9-25-08

DonFan
09-25-2008, 09:12 AM
Chicago music critics weren't too fond of the Eagles:
-------------------------------------------------
Joe Walsh injects fun, energy into staid Eagles concert

The Chicago Tribune, by Greg Kot

More Joe Walsh, please. Even “The Dude” would’ve loved him Wednesday, the opener of a two-night Eagles stand at the United Center.The Dude is the bathrobed, bearded hippie in the Coen brothers movie “The Big Lebowski” who hated the Eagles, in part because their mellowness was so inescapable in the ‘70s.

The quintessential California band ruled that decade as one of rock’s greatest commercial forces, and in the years since not much has changed. The reunited juggernaut is still selling lots of albums (their 2007 comeback release “Long Road out of Eden” has sold 7 million units) and their ticket prices (topping out at $185, plus service fees) are still hefty (who can forget – or forgive – the Eagles for breaking the $100 ticket barrier on their 1994 reunion tour?).

But Walsh doesn’t fit the Eagles peaceful-easy-feelin’ mold. For a good part of the three-hour show, he was on his best behavior. All due respect to Don Henley and Glenn Frey, the band’s cofounders: They’re craftsmanlike songwriters, but they’re not much for showmanship. Even the between-songs patter was canned, and the concert felt about as stiff as the matching black suits the band wore, as if outfitted for a wake.
Steuart Smith expertly re-created the ousted Don Felder’s essential guitar parts, and the core quartet, abetted by nine musicians, precisely re-enacted their studio recordings. When Frey added an extra word to a line from “Lyin’ Eyes,” it was a big deal.

Then late in the evening, Walsh took over with frisky versions of his old James Gang hits “Walk Away” and “Funk 49” and his solo goof “Life’s Been Good,” complete with a mini-cam attached to his helmet. “Life in the Fast Lane” lived up to its title; even Henley hit the drums with extra oomph. For the first time, everyone looked like they were having fun.

The fans paid to hear the hits, and the band delivered with a set list heavy on ‘70s favorites, plus a sprinkling of “Eden” songs and solo tracks. The best of their songs deserve their status not just as hits, but as cultural touchstones, especially the Spanish-flavored decadence of “Hotel California.” But it was the goofy, unpredictable guitar player who transformed this night from a nostalgic recital into a concert. Like The Dude, Joe Walsh abides.

Set list
1. “How Long”: The four core members --- Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit and Joe Walsh --- line up across the stage in a show of black-suited solidarity.
2. “Busy Being Fabulous”: Four guitars at work, but not much traction for this “Long Road out of Eden” track.
3. “I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore”: Schmit sings what sounds like an Air Supply outtake.
4. “Guilty of the Crime”: Walsh’s slide-guitar work raises the energy in the room considerably.
5. “Hotel California”: Ushered in with a trumpet solo, and finishing with Walsh and Steuart Smith (standing in for the song’s author, Don Felder) trading guitar lines.
6. “Peaceful Easy Feeling”: Everything “The Dude” Lebowski ever hated about the Eagles in one supremely catchy, supremely mellow song.
7. “I Can’t Tell You Why”: Schmit’s fragile falsetto and Smith’s replication of Felder’s distinctive solo still resonate on this ballad.

8. “Witchy Woman”: Sing-along time, with Henley doubling on lead vocals and drums.
9. “Lyin’ Eyes”: Frey’s epic soap-opera script embroidered with fiddle and piano.
10. “Boys of Summer”: Henley’s solo hit remains a bittersweet keeper.
11. “In the City”: Walsh’s slide-guitar showcase, with gratuitous horns.
12. “The Long Run”: Still wonder how the Eagles got away with ripping off the great Memphis R&B song “Tryin’ to Live My Life Without You” (as originally popularized by Chicagoan Otis Clay).

2nd set
13. “No More Walks in the Woods”: Nice sit-down opening with a cappella harmonies by Henley, Frey, Schmit and Walsh.
14. “Waiting in the Weeds”: Henley sings, Frey on guitar, Smith later joins on mandolin.
15. “No More Cloudy Days”: The sound of stasis.
16. “Love Will Keep Us Alive”: A thoroughly unmemorable track from the “Hell Freezes Over” reunion disc, sung by Schmit.
17. “Take it to the Limit”: Just as the show starts to lose steam, a crucially timed visit to the Eagles first “Hits” album, which has sold 25 million copies.
18. “Long Road out of Eden”: Epic but ponderous title song from Eagles latest album.
19. “Somebody”: The band strips off their black suit jackets to reveal matching white shirts. Otherwise, the song’s a snooze.
20. “Walk Away”: Walsh cracks a smile in midsolo. That’s a first for what has been, so far, a professionally dour concert.
21. “One of These Nights”: Henley proves he can still hit the falsetto notes.
22. “Life’s Been Good”: Walsh dons a helmet and trains a mini-cam on the crowd. It took a while, but suddenly the audience feels part of the show.
23. “Dirty Laundry”: Henley continues his love affair with the media, and sets it to a dance beat.
24. “Funk 49”: More James Gang-era rock from Walsh.
25. “Heartache Tonight”: The horns add to the R&B flavor.
26. “Life in the Fast Lane”: Another Walsh guitar showcase.

Deadline beckons, and I have to split as the band walks off before the encore.

DonFan
09-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Here's another one, shorter but more of the same:
-----------------------------------------------
Reunited Eagles could use bailout
CONCERT REVIEW | Guitarists shake up performance that's on the brink

September 25, 2008 BY MARK GUARINO

With corporate governance crumbling financial markets and with pension plans and home mortgages on the brink of near ruin, perhaps it's a sign of economic recovery that the board of directors at Lehman Brothers gathered together to sing Eagles songs at the United Center on Wednesday.

No, wait, upon closer inspection, those were actual members of the Eagles standing onstage singing actual Eagles songs at an Eagles concert. Dressed in ill-fitting black suits, crisp white shirts and matching black ties, the Eagles performed nearly three hours of familiar hits, and some new songs, with the joie de vivre of a quarterly shareholders teleconference.

PHOTO GALLERY

Eagles concert (http://www.suntimes.com/entertainment/music/poprock/1184560,CST-FTR-eagles25.article##)

Not that there's anything wrong with that. The first of two nearly sold-out nights continued this second life of the famed California country rock band, which quit in 1980 but has since embarked on periodic reunion tours that have meticulously assigned every note, tone and verbal quip with strict governance. As each return has illustrated, the Eagles are committed to consistency.

For longtime fans, enthralled by music engineered as if by robotic gears, this became a golden opportunity. The Eagles, accompanied by five sidemen plus four horn players, presented their songbook as the institution it has become. "Hotel California," the highlight of the first half, was greeted because it was familiar; the band's performance did not wrest from it anything new.

Yet there is a factor that makes this latest regrouping a lot more special than previous tours: a new album, "Long Road Out of Eden" (ERC II). This meant the Eagles had new songs to play, which they did at the start of the night's two divided sets. These were built with the same architecture of past Eagles songs -- multiple harmonies, mid-tempo choruses, bittersweet worldviews -- but they lacked melodic integrity. Don Henley, one of rock's greatest lyricists, traded caustic for catatonic on acoustic dross like "Waiting in the Weeds."

For a band so famously governed at the top -- Henley and Glenn Frey -- the show might have fared better if it was the domain of guitarist Joe Walsh and lead guitarist Steuart Smith, who replaced original member Don Felder, fired in 2001. On fare like "In the City" and "Guilty of the Crime," a new song, the guitarists unhinged the band from its tight screws. Slight but thrilling, these moments helped shake up a tour that Frey earlier said could be subtitled "assisted living."

Brooke
09-25-2008, 10:26 AM
Ya know, if the Eagles are so boring why do thousands of fans show up at all of their concerts and millions buy their records? These reviewers don't have a clue! :enraged:

Ive always been a dreamer
09-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Yeah - if these critics think they are so smart, they should compare their checking account balance with Messrs Frey, Henley, Walsh, or Schmit and see who comes out on top. I think they call it laughing your way to the bank. :wink:

ticky
09-25-2008, 10:58 AM
I'll bet these are young rock and roll reviewers who are used to these crap indy bands like Cold War Kids or something like that.. They think of The Eagles like grandpa music not the CLASSIC ROCK that it truely is!! Most papers only have one music critic and that critic is based on the general populations age base. Kind of sad for US, but WE know whats good. Those guys tastes are all in their mouths. (Although I DO agree, MORE JOE PLEASE!! hehehe )

sodascouts
09-25-2008, 11:51 AM
These reviews are BULLSH-T, pardon my language. It was a magnificent show, one of the best I've ever been to. The guys were into it and it showed. I loved every minute of it, even Long Road Out of Eden, which I worried would drag live. Perhaps it was the visuals behind it that lent it a cinematic quality, but I felt like the song was taking me on a journey rather than passing me by.

I went there without a ticket, hoping for the best. At the Will-Call, I got 10th row, right on the aisle towards the center. I had a terrific view of Glenn, whom Tim called "our fearless leader." Sometimes I had to move around a bit to see Tim and Joe, but whenever Don came out, he was easily seen as well.

Highlights from the new stuff were, as I expected, How Long, Waiting in the Weeds and Somebody, which even had a few people up and dancing (I was one of them, although I am usually very shy about standing up unless the people immediately around me are doing it).

The guys cracked jokes, smiled - well, except for Joe. He smiled like twice maybe, but he tore up the guitar solos. The vocals were amazing too. Even Timothy, although hoarse at first, opened up quickly and sounded wonderful; Joe didn't miss a note. I could pick Glenn's voice out more easily on the harmonies, which delighted me. He and Don sounded terrific as well.

The guys were all looking good too. They took off the jackets for Somebody, but oddly, Joe put his on again later. Perhaps he got cold.

As far as not being spontaneous - there were a few things tossed in which folks don't regularly get. Don said "How 'bout those Cubbies" to an audience divided: I cheered for the Cubs, but there must have been a lot of White Sox fans there, because the boos were pretty loud. Don grimaced and said something like "I should have known better" and then added "the White Sox haven't been waiting 99 years" (may not be exact words). When he was introduced by Tim, Glenn told some Detroit jokes, and sang about half a line of My Girl. I got a thrill when I heard that - I adore his cover of it from the 1993 shows. Yeah, it was only half a line, but I'll take what I can get. They said some other nice things about Chicago, even reminisced a bit about playing an old theater here in 1972. I'll try to think of more later!

TWO encores folks. When I saw them bring out the electric guitars for that final bit, I knew it was coming - so thrilling!

The audience was great - very responsive. I had a wonderful time.

There's more to add, but I've got to figure out how to get a ticket for tonight - so I'll add it later!

ticky
09-25-2008, 12:20 PM
VERY Cool Soda! glad you got decent seats. I imagine Joe was just tired! (I hope!) Cant wait to hear about tonight! have a great time!

Brooke
09-25-2008, 01:13 PM
Wow Soda, sounds like another wonderful night with The Eagles! I'm so glad you ended up with a great seat! Can't wait to hear more!

I can't imagine Joe being cold though! They are usually dripping in sweat and so was I with all the dancing going on where I was. Some people behind me were wondering how you can go to a concert and sit! I know I don't know! :shrug:

Have more fun tonight! :thumbsup:

MikeA
09-25-2008, 01:17 PM
I asked Joe about the long sleeves and jackets...heavy outerwear once. He just said that it helps him keep his voice loose if he is a bit warm. I think that what Soda saw was just Joe trying to give the best vocal performance he could.

I have't seen them on the LROE tour....YET. I'm hoping for KC.

Soda...hope you score bigtime tickets for tonight's show!

Scooby
09-25-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey Soda, enjoyed your review and good luck with seats tonight! I was thinking that you go to some of the shows by yourself huh? and meeting up with others sometimes. I've been trying to get a good seat for Minneapolis, but can't decide if I really want to go by myself or not!! Its making me crazy! :brickwall: None of my friends are Eagle nuts, so arent going to dish out $200 for a ticket. My husband Dennis and I went to the Milwaukee show and it was great, he can't get time off for this one.:)Anyhow, hope the M&G thing works out for all of you also!

DonFan
09-25-2008, 02:12 PM
At last--a favorable review by the Chicago SouthTown Star:

BY STEVE METSCH (smetsch@southtownstar.com), Staff Writer
The Eagles is "the band that would not die," Glenn Frey jokingly told their United Center audience Wednesday night.

In fact, they are not only alive and well, but in fine form, too, knocking out 30 songs over the course of their three-hour concert. Frey and his bandmates - Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit and the irrepressible Joe Walsh cruised through songs from their 2007 release, the two-CD "Long Road Out of Eden," and dug into their 1970s catalog for huge hits, before turning their second set into an episode of "Joe Gone Wild."

The four core Eagles members were joined by nine backup musicians, including a four-man brass section that brought new sounds to familiar songs. The band opened with their big "How Long" and three other new songs, giving each a chance to tackle the lead vocal slot. An attempt to soothe egos in a band famed for its fighting? Who cares? They all sounded terrific.
Besides, time heals.

Frey, 60, called Henley "my friend since 1971," and talked in glowing terms of how they wrote "Lyin' Eyes" in two days. "Now," Frey said, "that would probably take two years."

Noting how the band began 37 years ago, Henley introduced "The Long Run" as "our theme song" and invited fans to sing along. The first set was heavy on ballads, including "I Can't Tell You Why" and "I Don't Want to Hear Any More," both featuring Schmit's beautiful vocals. Yes, Schmidt, 60, still effortlessly hits high notes. And, yes, he still has his trademark flowing locks.

The first set offered hints of what was to come when Walsh grabbed the spotlight with a fun new song, "Guilty of the Crime," and a rollicking version of "In the City" that had him playing solos off the bold brass section.

After a lengthy break - maybe the band was watching the White Sox and Cubs games as many fans were in the concourse - the Eagles returned--with the lovely harmonies of "No More Walks in the Woods." These guys may disagree, but they sure sing well together.

A few songs later, it was time for Walsh to steal the spotlight with sizzling solos on "Long Walk Out of Eden," Henley's biting political criticism of the war in Iraq. Then it was time to unleash Walsh. As always, the life of the party was up to the task.

The band went way back into Walsh's musical history with "Walk Away," a 1971 release from his James Gang days. Frey tried to match Walsh, 60, note for note at the start of "Funk #49," another James Gang song, before playfully tossing up his hands and conceding.

Among the night's many highlights was "Life's Been Good," Walsh's solo hit from 1978. The amusing indictment of the rock 'n' roll lifestyle was made even more enjoyable with video clips of the band through the years, and with his "the helmet cam," a videocamera mounted atop a hard hat that took shots of the audience that were beamed to three video screens.
Walsh's enthusiasm and superb playing seemed to inspire the entire band to rock a bit harder. "One of These Nights" never sounded better.--The same goes for "Heartache Tonight."

Henley took the spotlight with a dead-on takes of "The Boys of Summer" and "Hotel California," and his poke at the media, "Dirty Laundry." The Eagles had fun with that song, showing real tabloid headines along with phony magazine covers featuring stories like, "Monkey Sues Joe Walsh" and "Don Henley Solves Global Warming."

Frey handled most of the banter, telling fans--"Lyin' Eyes" was "about my first wife, 'Plaintiff,'" leading the horn section through some funky dance steps, and calling "Take It to the Limit" the band's "credit card song." He sounded best on "Peaceful Easy Feeling." You could almost feel the warm California breeze.

After finishing with a hard-rockin' "Life in the Fast Lane," the band returned for its first encore: Walsh's Chicago classic rock radio staple "Rocky Mountain Way," and Henley's "All She Wants to Do is Dance," complete with a dazzling light show. The second encore was all-Eagles: the timeless "Take it Easy," with Frey on the lead, and "Desperado," powered by Henley.

My only beef?
I know bands have to sell new product, but it would've been nice to hear them rock out on "Already Gone." The good news is tickets are available for tonight's concert in what Frey jokingly called "the Eagles' Assisted Living Tour."

DonFan
09-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Glad you had a great time at the show last night, Soda!

sodascouts
09-25-2008, 03:18 PM
Looks like the meet'n'greet is not happening for me tonight, due to a misunderstanding and some lost e-mails.

I'm so upset, I don't even know if I'll go to the second show. i guess it depends on if I can get good seats or not. Something in the first three rows would go a long way towards making me smile again. ;)

Scooby - to answer your question - I go alone to all my shows pretty much, unless I've gotten together with people beforehand so we can travel together. Almost always, there are fans who can meet up and have dinner or drinks with you. That's lots of fun! Totally worth it. PLUS, a single person has a better chance of getting good seats.

Waiting 'til the last minute is very scary though!

And MikeA - welcome! Good to see you 'round these parts!

Prettymaid
09-25-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, I'm home from my first ever Eagles concert! I didn't take notes, so I'll just wing it.

Before the show
------------------
Soda, TBF and her hubby, my hubby and I met and had a quick dinner before the show. It was wonderful meeting you guys. It felt like I already knew you! Not knowing if I would see them again we said our goodbyes and headed for the concert. At this point it was going on 7:00 and Soda did not have a ticket for the show.

We arrived at the United Center and excitedly went to find our seats in row 20. We had speculated for weeks as to how close of a view we would have. We were pleasantly surprised that the stage appeared closer than we were expecting. I looked toward Sec.112 and saw TBF and her hubby. Looked like they had good seats, too.

About this time we saw Soda being shown to her seat. Yea! She got a ticket! We watched as she was shown to a Row 10 center aisle seat. Unbelievable, Soda! I'm still amazed at your good fortune.

Hubby and I visited more with Soda and with Maleah, who hadn't been able to have dinner with us, but was there in Row 5 wearing an awesome Eagles shirt she created herself. Maleah, it was very nice to meet you.

As it got closer to showtime we went back to our seats and chatted with our 'neighbors'. Thanks to The Border I felt like the 'Eagles expert' on the block!

To be continued...

sodascouts
09-25-2008, 03:55 PM
It was great meeting up with you, your husband, Wille, her husband, and Maleah, I must say! You guys are fun people. I only wish we could have hung out longer - especially with Maleah, who I only got to talk to very briefly. So glad to meet you all though!

Prettymaid
09-25-2008, 04:12 PM
Part 2 - The Show
--------------------

Soda has done a great job sharing some of the highlights with you. I may be repeating some, but here goes. Instead of breaking it down by song I will break it down by Eagle.

Glenn
------
After welcoming Chicago to the Assisted Living Tour, he proceeded to tell us that we were welcome to take as many still photos as we wanted.(Darn, didn't bring the camera in with us. Maybe it was because of that little line on our tickets that read 'No Cameras Or Recorders'. :enraged:
He also said "Please don't film us. We don't go to your jobs and film you while you're doing paperwork or pounding nails."

He introduced PEF as a good 'ole California country song.

I love what he does to the vocal on Somebody.

As you already know by now, we got 2 encores! I was thrilled and Glenn must have been, too 'cuz all he did was dance during ASWTDID! (I thought of you, Brooke!)

To be continued...

Brooke
09-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Soda, I'm so sorry about the meet & greet. That just totally sucks!

Man, you have nerves of steel to not have had a ticket until after 7 last night. Very cool you came up with such a good one. :thumbsup: Go ahead and go tonight. It'll make you feel much better.

PM, it is cool that you were known as resident Eagle Expert! I was the same way in StL! Knowing which songs will be played and encore songs and just little tid-bits here and there is fun! I told one of my seat neighbors that I was a bit obsessed. :shh:

Wonderful that you guys got 2 encores, too. And you got to see Glenn dance! :jealous:

To anyone going tonight-ROCK ON!

Prettymaid
09-25-2008, 04:46 PM
Part 3
--------

Don
-------

When it was Don's turn to say hello, he said, "How about those Cubbies!" to a chorus of cheers and boos. He jokingly said, "...and goodnight everybody...", as I'm sure he could tell that he'd offended some. But I enjoyed his good natured humor.

I loved Don's vocals on WW AND OOTN. It was awesome to hear those strong falsettos live. Just as good now as when he recorded them!

Toward the end of the 2nd set, I think during a Glenn lead song, perhaps Heartache Tonight, I looked at Don and he was smiling. It was just a captured moment when I saw that he was having a really good time.

Timothy
----------

On his first song, IDWTHA, I thought Timothy's live voice sounded different from his recorded voice, maybe a little strained. Hubby thought maybe he had a cold.

ICTYW AND LWKUA were both stronger, with LWKUA being the best, IMO.

Just a note - LWKUA has one of my favorite Eagles guitar solos in it but for some reason Steuart has changed it. (My memory is failing me today... it was either LWKUA or ICTYW, they both have great guitar work. He should have left it alone.)

You can really feel Timothy's love. He makes everyone in that audience feel appreciated.

To be continued...

Molly
09-25-2008, 05:28 PM
Glad you had a good time, ladies!

Two encores...<Sigh>...I don't think I'm going to get that lucky in Green Bay.

I'm glad you got such great seats, Nancy. I've learned my lesson, and next time I'm going to try to have the nerves of steel needed and do the last minute thing. I could kick myself for jumping at tickets too quickly in Milwaukee.

Good luck with tonight's ticket prospects.

Prettymaid
09-25-2008, 05:29 PM
Part 4
--------

Joe
--------

Joe being my favorite Eagle, I watched him the most. From the very first song, How Long, I was surprised at what a stoic look he kept on his face. I 'felt' like he was in a bad mood.

Guilty of the Crime went over well with the crowd, however I would have rather heard Last Good Time in Town.

I guess it goes without being said, but hearing the guitar work live throughout HC , particularly at the end, was like dying and going to heaven.

In The City - The crowd thought Boys Of Summer, played prior to this song, was a waker upper, they hadn't seen nothin' yet! ( Sorry Don fans!)

Walk Away - Finally Joe smiled (even showed some teeth!) during my all time favorite Joe song. Yes, I guess I can finally tip my hand since it was voted off of Survivor while I was enjoying it live. :weep:Oh, the humanity!

I read a previous post answering perhaps why Joe put his jacket back on late in the show. I knew Don would - he does for Desperado. But I was surprised when Joe did.

Rick, buddy, I thought of you when they came out for their first encore and did RMW. Why did they give us two encores? We'll probably never know. I guess Joe was feeling the love.

Summary
--------------

I really don't like the suits. I think they actually take away from a perfect concert experience. I also wish they looked like they were having more fun. Maybe from Soda's and Maleah's perspective it was different. That being said, it was a great concert. They do an amazing job of recreating the warm fuzzy feelings their songs gave us throughout our lives, the harmonies washing over you like a warm summer breeze. It was a night to remember.

TimothyBFan
09-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Hi everyone-let the PEW begin-I am already feeling it!! :-( It is indeed a let down now that I am back home and thinking about last night.

I can honestly say that I don't even know how to describe what it felt like last night to actually be there finally seeing my favorite band that I have loved and adored for 34 years!!! I enjoyed the experience more than I ever imagined and will treasure it forever.

Loved meeting with Nancy and Cathy and her husband, sharing a quick dinner with them and after the show having a couple of drinks with Nancy and recapping the evening! Thanks for sharing the experience.

It looks like Nancy and Cathy have pretty much filled you in with most of the night. Loved it when Don mentioned the Cubbies!! What a response he received from that. I and my husband gave him and big hoot and hollar!! Also can't believe that we got 2 encores, including ASWTDID!! They must have gotten my memo!! :hilarious:

I of course had my eyes pretty much glued to Timothy the bigger share of the night. WOW!!!! He sure loves the audience and really plays to them! He was beautiful!

I don't care what the critics said--they were beyond belief in person. Everyone around us was enjoying them and had nothing but wonderful things to say about their performance. God bless the lady behind us that noticed that I was singing along with every song and asked how long I had been a fan. When I told her it had been 34 years, she looked at me and said I sure didn't look old enough to remember them from back that far!! ;) Maybe she was just :lie:but she put a bigger smile on my face. My husband couldn't say enough about how good they were, especially Joe. Said it was worth every penny to see how happy it made me to finally be there.

That's my recap for now. I'm sure I will think of more to add later.

My fingers are crossed for Nancy tonight. Sure hope she gets a good seat, especially since I'm sure she is very bummed out about the meet and greet. I am very bummed out for her!:enraged:

Prettymaid
09-25-2008, 06:57 PM
My fingers are crossed for Nancy tonight. Sure hope she gets a good seat, especially since I'm sure she is very bummed out about the meet and greet. I am very bummed out for her!:enraged:

Ditto!

Freypower
09-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Regarding the 'reviews', the suits are not 'ill fitting'.

No offence to our Joe fans but I sometimes get tired of these reviewers' endless emphasis on Joe. Because they think he is more fun to watch doesn't mean that he is the most important part of the band.

Thanks to Soda, PM and TBF for your thoughts.

ticky
09-25-2008, 07:31 PM
Thanks Soda, TBF and PM, those were terrific accounts of the concert. I almost feel as if I were there!... almost... I am a little disappointed no stage rushing was done (I had bail all arranged) but.. Im glad you all had a wonderful time! *G*

MikeA
09-25-2008, 09:10 PM
Regarding the 'reviews', the suits are not 'ill fitting'.

No offence to our Joe fans but I sometimes get tired of these reviewers' endless emphasis on Joe. Because they think he is more fun to watch doesn't mean that he is the most important part of the band.

Thanks to Soda, PM and TBF for your thoughts.

Fun to watch? Joe? Really <LOL>

I understand what's happening with that. Glenn and Don do not come from the same school of Rock that Joe came from. From the outset, Don and Glenn had in mind making megabucks and making great music as well. Part of that plan for success was performing flawlessly in live concerts. That sort of performance requires ungodly practice and iron-clad discipline and with the personalities of Don and Glenn, they accomplished that very well.

So well in fact that they really do not leave any room in their stage performances for much of any improvisation...even in jokes! If they did any of that, it would deviate from the recordings. And that would undermine their master plan...a plan that has been VERY successful for them.

Joe on the other hand, came from the era where Power Trios dominated and their performances were notorious for starting out pretty much on que and then improvising for 15 and 20 minute completely unique solos. It was made very clear to Joe when he joined the Eagles that there was no room for that in the Eagles Concerts. I think Joe has handled it very well. It had to be hard for him to reign himself in and play that subordinate role that he managed and it seems that it met with the approval of "The Gods" as Mr. Felder put it.

I do not think that there is anyone who is familiar with the process of the Eagles who will deny the genius of Don and Glenn...especially Don when it comes to composition. Joe certainly is not unaware of it and acknowledges it freely!

Whatever the reviewers say, the Eagles are a very unique Band. It works for them. Yes, Joe can be a loose canon and he does bring out the wild side of those in the audience...but he wouldn't be where he is today were it not for the management of the Eagles LTD.

Oh, he would be somewhere...but it might not have been a good place! It was his commitment to sobriety that allowed him to participate in the resumption of a reunited Eagles back in the 90's. He was in a very bad way back then. They (the Eagles) have been very good for Joe. And, I think Joe has worked very hard to meet the expectations of Glenn and Don and I think he has been pretty successful at it.

I've been to a LOT of concerts and I've never seen Joe make any attempt to upstage the other guys and in fact, tends to melt back into the background especially on the older Ballad era songs they do from pre HC days.

With that said, I myself have seen Joe receive the "Frey Eye" (I think it was in Indianapolis) for getting a little too carried away during "Already Gone". He cut the solo off almost instantly when that happened <LOL>

The Hell with the Critics. The Eagles are what they are! Their success is to the merit of all four of the current Eagles plus Meisner, Leadon, Felder and yes, Stu Smith....they were and ARE contributors to the epic success enjoyed by the Band today.

Sorry if I came off on a soapbox. It's just that each member of the band has a contribution to make and they each give it...they each BRING it to the stage too! They've already proved that they each are capable of very successful solo careers, but the Eagles are a case of the Whole being far greater than the sum of the parts!

GlennLover
09-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Well said Mike :thumbsup:. I totally agree with you. Unfortunately the critics have to criticize :enraged: . If the Eagles weren't so successful, I don't think the critics would be so quick to malign them. They must be doing something right. I don't see them playing to empty houses. There were over 50,000 people at their Moncton, N.B. concert that I attended in August. Fifty thousand people chanting "Eagles, Eagles" in anticipation of the start of the concert. Fifty thousand people singing along with every song. It was magical.

I'll get off my soapbox now :laugh:. I just felt the need to vent.

Freypower
09-25-2008, 10:29 PM
Mike, thank you very much for this post. It's what I should have said. I didn't want to sound as if I was not appreciative of the excitement Joe brings to the band.

glenneaglesfan
09-26-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for your great reviews, Soda, PM and TBF!:rockon: Sounds like a wonderful evening with our boys. I love reading those personal observations from true fans. It's great that you got to meet, and Maleah, too. Soda, you certainly picked up a good seat, but I'm gutted for you about the meet and greet.

Mike, you have summed up the band, and I love your comment about the "Frey Eye"! I've seen a couple of pics where he has given an unruly audience member that look, and it's scary! By the way, welcome to the Border, it's good to have you here!

tbs fanatic
09-26-2008, 09:49 AM
Hey Soda, enjoyed your review and good luck with seats tonight! I was thinking that you go to some of the shows by yourself huh? and meeting up with others sometimes. I've been trying to get a good seat for Minneapolis, but can't decide if I really want to go by myself or not!! Its making me crazy! :brickwall: None of my friends are Eagle nuts, so arent going to dish out $200 for a ticket. My husband Dennis and I went to the Milwaukee show and it was great, he can't get time off for this one.:)Anyhow, hope the M&G thing works out for all of you also!

Scooby, go. I went by myself to St. Louis and loved it. I did get to meet up with Brooke before the show, which was great fun, but I had a great time at the concert by myself.

tbs fanatic
09-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Glad you guys all had a great time. I agree with you PM - please ditch the suits:pray:. They just don't look relaxed in them.

Brooke
09-26-2008, 10:25 AM
Mike, thank you for your soap box speech! I think you summed it all up exactly right. :applause:

I noticed Joe early in the show in St. Louis once, just standing at his mike, hands folded on top of his guitar, staring out in to the crowd. It seemed odd. You would think that if he didn't have anything to do during a song, he would just drift back to the back somewhere. But, evidently, he has been told to stay there.

Also, Scooby, go even if you don't have someone to go with. I've also gone by myself several times and had a wonderful time. You can always find a fan to visit with during the show!

And Fp, I agree, the suits are NOT ill-fitting! I can imagine with the money they all have, that they are very expensive suits, tailored to fit suits! And they look very good in them. They are "sharp dressed men" to quote ZZ Top!

But, I still prefer jeans on my rock stars. :nod:

TBF, I'm right there with you on that PEW. It's nearly been a week for me since seeing them and I'm still remembering bits and pieces and wishing I were still there. Wonderful review! I'm so glad you had such a good time and your dream was finally realized.

luvthelighthouse
09-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Finally, my first ever Eagles concert...and worth every stinking little penny!!! They sounded fantabulous!!! Last night seemed to follow the same as all the reviews from the previous night. Since I wasn't at both shows, don't know if there is anything to add.

I do have to say, if you were on Timothy's side, you sure got a show. (I was not, I was on Joe's side) In any case, Timothy really plays to the crowd. He comes out the end of the stage and plays for you! It was awesome. He really seemed like he was enjoying himself and having fun! Actually, they all looked like they were having fun.

What I found personally, to be interesting... when I looked at the big screens they had, the band looked "flat"... but when looking at the stage, they appeared so engergetic... so, IMO, this is surely a must see band! Even though I enjoy watching HFO, I kinda get that less energy flat sense... but I now know that must have been an awesome show in person! Don't flame me, this is just my opinion.

We also got two encores. :applause: With an imflamed sense of Chicago ego, I figured they would play two. :blush:

I'm a little hoarse from singing and screaming... but I'm okay with that! I hope Soda was able to see the show last night too... I'd love to hear her comparisons!

Prettymaid
09-26-2008, 11:04 AM
Glad you enjoyed your show, LTL. I'm curious - did Don use the same "How about those Cubbies" line or did he omit it in last night's show?

luvthelighthouse
09-26-2008, 11:19 AM
PM, I don't know, because I was busy buying a t-shirt and walked in just as they were in the middle of NMWITW. I think if had said it, it would have been right before this song, if it was the same as the night before.

BTW, what does PEW and *G* mean. I keep seeing them in messages and have no clue what they mean.

TimothyBFan
09-26-2008, 11:20 AM
Yeah PM-I was kinda wondering the same thing after the reaction he got from the crowd on Wednesday night.

Prettymaid
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
BTW, what does PEW and *G* mean. I keep seeing them in messages and have no clue what they mean.

LTL, I believe it stands for Post Eagles Withdrawal :sad:

TimothyBFan
09-26-2008, 11:24 AM
LTL-PEW is Post Eagles Withdraw---something we all experience:weep::weep:after seeing them live

Prettymaid
09-26-2008, 11:27 AM
LTL-PEW is Post Eagles Withdraw---something we all experience:weep::weep:after seeing them live

TBF, we both posted at exactly the same time! :cheers:

TimothyBFan
09-26-2008, 11:31 AM
PM-Great minds!!!!:)

sodascouts
09-26-2008, 12:25 PM
OK folks - back again!

I initially had only planned to go to one show, as you guys know, because of money. Then, I decided - well, I'll go to one show and get a good seat, and one show and get a cheap seat. After Row 10 on Wednesday, my resolve weakened. I said "I'll shell out for a good seat again, but only if it's better than Row 10." I went up to the window several times. Yeah, they looked at me funny, but screw them - because 12th row came up about 6:45 after I had been up to the window 3 times. I wanted to buy it SOOOOOOOOOO bad, but.... I remembered my earlier vow and said no. The guy looked at me like I was insane and I honestly was kind of embarrassed, but I stayed strong! Nothing better came up, however. Kind of a blessing in disguise, though, because right as I was about to buy a cheap seat, I heard a guy behind me trying to sell his first-tier ticket. Now mind you, this was 15 minutes before the show, he and his wife were shivering in the wind... I told him "I'll give you $60 for it." He looked at me, appalled. "I paid $200 for that!" I said "Well, I understand if you don't want to take such a hit. But if it comes down to $60 or eating it, I think the $60 is better." He hesitated, and I turned around and went to the window, but he hurried up and said "OK, I'll take the $60. My wife wants to go inside." I thanked him warmly - they were now my seatmates, and very nice people! :)

So, I scored first tier tickets for $60! Not bad, although they were a bit far back. ;)

I'm so glad I went to the show, even though I was terribly disappointed about missing the meet'n'greet. But you know - I had forgotten my album for Joe to sign, and went I went to the Best Buy to get a CD for him to sign, they didn't have any Joe Walsh. At that moment, there was still technically the possiblilty that Becca from the JWFC would call me with a cancellation, but as I stood there looking at the empty Joe Walsh section in Best Buy, I suddenly knew in my heart that wasn't going to happen. I got emotional, but I reconciled myself to it. It just wasn't meant to be, I guess. Life goes on, and it doesn't do any good to go on feeling sorry for myself. I know Dreamer can relate. ;)

I have lots to tell, since I went to both shows. I'll try to get my thoughts organized and post them soon.

A quick answer to PM's question - no Cubbies line last night. I honestly wondered if Don would say "How 'bout them White Sox" just to be even-handed, lol, but no sports talk! Guess he learned his lesson. ;)

TimothyBFan
09-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Soda-glad to here you made it again last night. One of these days, you will have to give me "nerves of steel" lessons!!! I would have never been able to stand it!!
I am sincerely sorry about the luck with the Meet & Greet last night. There will be other chances hopefully and you will know how to handle it then!

Brooke
09-26-2008, 01:16 PM
Glad to hear you got to go again last night, Soda! You rock!

Btw, what are 1st tier tickets? And what a deal anyway!

Did you guys get any pictures?

sodascouts
09-26-2008, 01:19 PM
That's what I call the first level around the arena - the "100" level. I can see why my phrasing is confusing. If we go for what the venue considers "first tier" with regard to their pricing... that's half the arena. :rolleyes:

Prettymaid
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Soda, I'm glad your tenacity paid off. $60 is a very fair price to pay for 1st tier seats.

So Don learned his lesson about talking sports, eh? :wink:

luvthelighthouse
09-26-2008, 03:18 PM
I think the Cubbies comment didn't go over so well because... we were steps away from the White Sox home field. For those of you not from here... White Sox fans HATE Cub fans! (pretty much vice versa too)

DonFan
09-26-2008, 04:32 PM
Soda, I'm so glad you decided to go last night, and kudos on getting a 1st tier ticket at a rock-bottom price. I don't know if I could've waited until the last minute either! Can't wait to hear all the details of the shows!

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Glad you had a good time too, LTL!

Even though I enjoy watching HFO, I kinda get that less energy flat sense... but I now know that must have been an awesome show in person! Don't flame me, this is just my opinion.

You know, I had this same impression the first time I saw HFO. I noticed that the guys were looking down a lot, being really sedate for most of the show - and the vast majority of the songs were slow. It didn't help that I had seen Farewell 1 before HFO. The difference between the energy level of the two is quite remarkable. That said, I too really enjoy HFO, so I'm not trying to diss it either.

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 11:44 AM
OK folks, I've been working hard to remember everything, since I don't know if I'll ever see another Eagles show - after all, if this is their last tour, and they never come my way again... so I went all out. Although I got excruciatingly detailed, I KNOW I've forgotten some things and gotten some others out of sequence, didn't get the exact wording. But I tried! Those who attended, feel free to correct mistakes or add things I've left out (I did try not to repeat what's been said).

Since it's so long, I'll break it up into parts.

WEDNESDAY

Soundin’ good, lookin’ good, the guys were all that and a bag of chips on Wednesday night.

First Set

How Long
It’s a new song, but it really went over well. The crowd was on their feet dancing. I think it was a great idea to open with it. After it was over, Glenn asked how many of us have Long Road Out of Eden. When the crowd reacted, he said, “Well, you people are gonna have a REAL good time!” He went on to say that they were going to play several new tracks from the album, and that it was going to be a night filled with both old and new. This was also where he warned the audience about taking video of the concert, and said if we saw someone filming to tap them on the shoulder and ask them to please stop. I appreciate that he’s trying to enlist the help of the audience politely, but honestly, I’d feel very awkward telling a stranger something like that – especially since I secretly sympathize with their desire to capture the moment.

Busy Being Fabulous
They went into Busy Being Fabulous next, which I really like. This is when we got the “Cubbies” line and the thunderous boos, unless I’m mistaken. The guy next to me asked, “Is this off the new album?” “Yes,” I said, rolling my eyes. Glenn had JUST SAID that. Some folks need to pay attention!

I Don’t Want to Hear Any More
Tim said that he’d stay away from sports, after the reaction Don got! I love the mellow feel of this song.

Guilty of the Crime
Joe’s vocals were really great on this. He really threw himself into it – vocally, if not physically! He stood stock-still and his face was expressionless. Maybe he was concentrating on getting it right, since he’d messed up a little at a prior concert.

Hotel California
Then it was time to pull out the big gun: Hotel California. Those with Farewell 1 knew what was coming when Bill Armstrong started his solo, but the rest of the audience didn’t realize it until those opening notes. Once they did, they were on their feet cheering. Don moved back to the drums for this. After watching the entirety of the show, I now think that Don does his fair share of drumming during concerts. He was back there a lot. Anyway, his voice was very sexy on this; he even included that delicious “uh” after “the Mercedes bends.”

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Speaking of sexy voices... this song never fails to make me melt. A beautiful vocal that takes you right to that desert under the stars.

I Can’t Tell You Why
I love that Glenn plays keyboards on this, and I wish he did more of that kind of thing. Tim's vocal was a bit stronger on this than previously. Terrific vocal interplay between band members.

Witchy Woman
Don sounded smokin’ on this one and I enjoy Glenn's cool guitar solo on this song. Afterwards, Glenn said that was from their “Satanic Country-Rock Rhythm and Blues period." I remember he used to say that regarding “One of These Nights,” and I actually think it’s more appropriate for that song – One of These Nights was a complete hodge-podge of styles, and the title track even states that Don's looking for the daughter of the devil along with his angel in white!

Lyin’ Eyes
“But let’s go forward a few years,” Glenn continued. “Don and I are living together in a house on Mulholland. It's a long song, but we took two days to write it then; now we’d probably take two months.” I thought, “That’s a generous estimate of how long it would take you guys to complete a song nowadays!” Flawless vocal.

Boys of Summer
Yes, this is a solo song and therefore some would begrudge its inclusion, but it’s so great live! I LOVE it. I love the way Don sings, “But I can SEE you...” Now if only Glenn would do a solo song...

In the City
Joe hit every note that he attempted, but he didn’t even attempt to do the ending “Another NIGHT!” like he used to. He just backed away from the mic and got started on this guitar solo as the other guys sang “In the city, In the city, ah-ha” multiple times. Still, I liked it, as did the entire audience.

The Long Run
As he’d done in the past, Don called this “The band’s theme song” and thanked the fans for "still being here." Glenn kind of leaned over during “bent” just like he did during Farewell 1, and once Don saw what Glenn was doing, he started leaning, too. Fun song with which to end the first set!

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 04:27 PM
Second Set

During intermission, I got to chit-chat more with Prettymaid and Maleah. Maleah was wearing a very cool home-made shirt. She’s promised to post a photo of it. You guys are gonna love it! Then, it was time to sit down and get ready for the second half.

No More Walks in the Woods
Before the show started again, some roadies brought out stools. I noticed that they were nicer and more padded than the stools of the past, and that Joe’s had more back support than the others. It was more of a chair on stilts than a stool. The song was well done, without mistakes. That must take a great deal of concentration. Very admirable!

Waiting in the Weeds
Glenn introduced this song as “a beautiful song by Don Henley and Steuart Smith.” I’d been waiting to hear this all night. The spotlight started on Glenn playing the opening notes on guitar, then moved to Don as he started singing. Such a lovely, lovely song. I adored it.

No More Cloudy Days
Glenn made a joke about how “Waiting in the Weeds” was Track 7 on the new album, “and this next song is Track 8. Track 7, Track 8.” It doesn’t sound funny typing it out, but his delivery was very dry, like “Can you believe I not only know these track numbers, but expect you to care?” ;) He always puts his heart into singing it, and it really makes the song. "I know a place where we can go where true love always stays..." sigh. Love it.

Love Will Keep Us Alive
Tim was very talkative before this. He said that he and the other guys loved Chicago and that he remembered seeing Michael Jordan play here. He also did his usual shout-out to the folks in the rafters, which they loved and appreciated. I think it’s so cool that he does that! I don't remember hearing any strain to his vocal here.

Take it to the Limit
Glenn introduced this as the last song they were going to do sitting down. I know a lot of people disapprove of Glenn singing this song, and miss the high parts at the end. However, one thing is undeniable: the crowd loves it and goes crazy when those notes start. So do I. I’m glad it’s in the set. For a moment, about halfway through, I thought Glenn was going to give someone the Frey-Eye for filming. Remembering how I felt when he did that throughout “Peaceful Easy Feeling” at Crosslake, I thought “No Glenn, don’t spend this song glaring at somebody! Don’t ruin my favorite song!” The truth is, that look is so scary, it brings down everyone in the vicinity even though it’s directed at only one person! To my relief, the glare only lasted a second. Phew! I enjoyed that song so much... it just builds and builds and then there’s that powerful climax... “TAKE IT to the limit, TAKE IT to the limit, TAKE IT to the limit one more time!” And they do! By the time the song comes down at the end, you’ve had quite a ride.

Long Road out of Eden
I thought I would be bored during this song, with the exception of the guitar solo, which I knew would kill live. I was pleasantly surprised. I said in my previous overview that I felt like I was being told a story through song, and it held my interest the entire time – something it did not do when I listened to the studio version. Maybe it’s the heart they put into it live, or many it’s the visuals... I don’t know, but I was engaged by the song in a way I haven’t been in the past. One thing that I thought was very clever about the visuals: during the line “Met the ghost of Caesar on the Appian way” they showed a photo of Caesar’s Palace. What a way to give that line an extra layer of meaning. A hummer was also shown at one point, obviously meant to criticize excess. I wonder if Don knows that Joe owns one.

Somebody
Another song I’d been looking forward to hearing. The suit jackets were removed. It’s kind of pathetic to get excited over that, but since that’s the only nod they’ll do to “informality,” we’ve got to take what we can get. I briefly considered yelling jokingly “That’s right, TAKE IT OFF BABY!” but quickly squelched that urge. ;) Besides, who could hear me from 10th row? But for all my complaints about the suits... the guys look GOOD in them. Regarding the song: I can’t believe one critical called this a “snooze.” It rocked! I love to hear Glenn cut loose with that growly vocal. Very exciting live and I’m so glad that this is the new song he chose to do rather than a ballad. As much as I adore “What Do I Do with My Heart,” when it comes down to the live shows, there’s nothing like Glenn rockin’ your socks off. (I think that’s why I like the traditional version of “Smuggler’s Blues” better than the slow arrangement he does at some recent solo shows, despite the fact that I appreciate that he tries something different there.)

Walk Away
From now until the end of the show, the floor pretty much stood the whole time. Everybody loves Joe live, with his rockin’ riffs.

One of These Nights
Perhaps this has been happening for a while and I just haven’t noticed, but they don’t sing this quite like the album version on the “niiiiiights” part. I still enjoyed it.

Band Intros
Glenn walked out to center stage and yelled, “Hit Me, Dave!” The spotlight hit him full-blast and he flung his head and arms back and cried “AH!” Very cute! He called the horn section something funny, but I’ve forgotten it. Anyone else remember? After he introduced the band and got to Tim, the audience jumped to their feet. Standing ovation time! As I said previously, when Tim introduced Glenn and the band started playing "My Girl," Glenn only sang one half of one line. Sigh! I guess he can’t go on and on during band intros singing the song, but give us the full line! Tim also got a bit of music played during his intro, but I didn’t recognize it. Glenn told a funny story about how, when he was kid in one of his first bands, he and his friends would drive to Chicago to buy purple suits. He said what kind of suits – it was a kind I’d never heard of, but judging from the reaction of older people around me, it was very retro. I can just see Glenn with his old band The Mushrooms wearing a purple suit. Apparently some habits die hard!

Life’s Been Good
Joe introduced this song with an apology to all those kid whose parents drove them crazy playing it. He also said that the helmet cam was like a talent show, and that if you were really good, you might get your own reality show on "some stupid satellite channel." According to Willie and her husband, I got on the screen briefly! Yay! I don’t care if it’s silly, it’s fun to be on what is still being billed as a helmet cam, despite the fact that it is a hat. This is when the visuals REALLY get entertaining, as photos of the guys and shots from their videos over the years are played during song. Ironically, it plays like a well done YouTube video! Another note: Joe changed the lyrics at one point from “I lock the doors in case I’m attacked” to “I go to White Castle, pick up a sack.” lol!

Dirty Laundry
More hilarious visuals – they’ve been talked about before, but to me, those fake magazines never get old!

Funk #49
I don’t want to spend too much time emphasizing visuals over performance, but once again, the pop-up cartoons of the guys on the screens are really funny. As far as the song goes... who can resist those riffs? The band seems to have a lot of fun with it.

Heartache Tonight
Then, they rocked Heartache Tonight. Glenn’s vocal on it was amazing. This song is so awesome live. I actually think this should be the last song in the set rather than Life in the Fast Lane. Yes, LITFL is off of their most famous album, but on the second night – more people were on their feet for HT.

Life in the Fast Lane
Another sexy vocal from Don and more great guitar from Joe. I love the way this ends with the band gathering together in front of the drum kit, a true unit, despite the addition of so many extra backing band members. The core is still intact and in sync.

First Encore

Rocky Mountain Way
When I saw Glenn come out with the current incarnation of Old Black, I was thrilled. We were getting two encores! Since the audience was so responsive and the guys gushed about Chicago, I dared to hope they might... and indeed, it happened. WOOOT!!!! Everyone was dancing to this – tired? No way! I think it was during this song where Glenn did some... well... thrusting with his guitar as he walked across the stage. Ahem.

All She Wants to Do Is Dance
I and the girls around me took this song very literally. We got down to it. You know, I’ve always said this song is expendable but... it’s hard not to enjoy it when it really makes you move! Glenn did a bit of dancing in the back, but not to the degree of Farewell 1. It was also kind of hard for me to see him back there. Boo!

Second Encore

Take It Easy
When the band came out for Take It Easy, Glenn took a moment to say how much they all loved Chicago – “great food, great people.” He said “This is a song we used to play back at the Aire Crown Theater back in 1972” and broke into the song. It’s such a definitive, feel-good Eagles song, and it gets a huge reaction every time.

Desperado
Time to take it down for Desperado. Don’s vocals were pure and evocative. While I sometimes wonder if they shouldn’t reverse Take It Easy with Desperado in the set, it sure was effective that night.

Then, it was over. The band waved goodbye. I found myself waving back, jumping up and down, hooting, cheering... with no other thought in my head but the mantra “I LOVE THE EAGLES!” And indeed I do!

Maleah
09-27-2008, 04:40 PM
I cannot even find the words to tell you guys how I felt when they came out on the stage on Wednesday. I got tears in my eyes and probably would have bawled if the person beside me hadn't looked over at me. lol I couldn't believe that there they were.....and I was only rows away. I was off to the right off Joe, which made it a little harder to get pictures of Tim but I did get a few. What an amazing night! I went with 3 other people....one was a big Joe fan and really liked the band as a whole. The other two could take them or leave them, but when they left that night they told me that it was the best show they had ever been to and they now LOVED the Eages!

When "How Long" started my heart about went into triple beats. lol Especially when Don took over the second verse. Later on in the show when he started both "Boys of Summer" and "Witchy Woman," I leaned over to my friend and said I absolutely LOVE that man's voice! It was so perfect! And Glenn really won me over with his charisma with the crowd. I watched him make eye contact with a lot of people...even winking, pointing, and laughing with some of them. I loved when Tim came over to my side of the stage during the guitar solo on ICTYW. He seems like such a sweetheart. Joe did seem pretty stoic for most of the night...but at the same time....I did get a couple of pictures of him smiling. He absolutely tore up all of his guitar solos! I have to say....now I know what people are talking about when they say that the excitement kicks into overtime when he starts his songs. As soon as "Walk Away" started, it was like someone had thrown a firecracker under people! At least that's how it seemed down where I was.

It's really hard to pick favorite songs or moments....but I'll try! lol I'm not even going to try to keep them in order! lol

Long Road Out Of Eden - LOVED it!! It seemed like how a movie builds until the end.....that's what it was like with this song. Don sounded fantastic and Joe's guitar solo was AMAZING...Don even had to come over and watch! lol

Boys of Summer & Dirty Laundry - I kept saying that I hoped they would keep those in the setlist until I got to see them live and when I did it was very emotional for me! Don sounded awesome and it was fun to see Glenn and Joe mouthing the words in parts.

Lyin Eyes - I loved Glenn's introduction and his little "A rich old man and she won't have to worry......much" or maybe it was "maybe"...I don't really remember which one but it was cute. The harmonies were amazing, especially when they start the chorus with "You can't hide your lyin' eyes."

Walk Away - like I said before....as soon as the guitar intro started people went crazy!

Funk 49 - Loved Joe and Glenn's little "battle" at the beginning. All the guys seem to really enjoy playing it and I'm pretty sure I saw Don singing along in a couple of spots....I don't think he had a mic

Life's Been Good - Like the previous, the guys seem to have a lot of fun with it and they all seem to enjoy seeing Joe cut loose.

I Can't Tell You Why - Tim sings it so beautifully. He sounded a bit hoarse on it but still amazing!

Somebody - Glenn really seemed to cut loose on it and I loved Don and Tim sharing background vocals and the mic!

Heartache Tonight - As soon as they started the intro people started to sit down around me, including my friend. I was like NOOOO don't sit down! You'll just be right back up! She's like why and I said it's Heartache Tonight! And true to form, everyone shot to their feet as soon as they realized it. lol

Take It To The Limit - I've always liked Randy's version better, but it was special that night. The crowd all around me stood up for most of the song and really seemed into it which kind of suprised me because they usually sat down for slower songs.

One of These Nights - Hello....vocals...harmonies...bass....drums....lov ed it ALL!

The Long Run - Probably one of my favorite songs. I loved Don's little intro to it. I loved his sense of humor and sarcasm. He seems to enjoy this one (as do I lol) and Joe was a little more animated with it as well.

Witchy Woman - Don sounded FANTASTIC!!! Glenn's guitar solos were awesome!

All She Wants To Do Is Dance - Glenn's dancing was too cute. I got about 8 seconds of it on camera :lol:

Rocky Mountain Way - Glenn danced during this one too! And "rocked" the guitar back and forth. lol It was really cute.

No More Walks In The Woods - Flawless harmonies!

Waiting In The Weeds - Again....Don sounded amazing!

Ok ok ......... I have to stop or I'll go through the whole setlist. It was all amazing! The crowd was VERY loud and it seemed like the guys really appreciated it. Being closer, it was more noticeable that they were enjoying themselves with the little smiles and dances. I did think that I saw Don give Joe a look during one of his solos were it seemed he was really getting into it and "ad-libbing" a little bit..........needless to say it didn't last much longer. lol

Anyway, it was FANTASTIC and now I just want to follow them all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

So.........do you want me to share my pictures in this thread? :D All at once or a few at a time? :lol:

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 04:48 PM
Maleah - you included many moments I'd forgotten or left out. Thanks for writing up your review!

Lyin Eyes - I loved Glenn's introduction and his little "A rich old man and she won't have to worry......much"

It was indeed "much" - he does that at solo shows sometimes. Always gets a laugh!

Heartache Tonight - As soon as they started the intro people started to sit down around me, including my friend. I was like NOOOO don't sit down! You'll just be right back up! LOL! I thought the same thing!

Anyway, it was FANTASTIC and now I just want to follow them all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lolSeriously! If only I had the money and time!

So.........do you want me to share my pictures in this thread? :D All at once or a few at a time? :lol:Your call Maleah but.... don't drag it out too long! I'm dying here!

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Alrighty then! I'm going to post them here and save my best or favorite ones until last ;) muahahaha

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:05 PM
Oh and btw, I was SO glad I got to meet you and PrettyMaid! I only wish I had gotten to hang out with all of you more. My friend started feeling worse about halfway through the show, in fact...she's going to the Dr either today or Monday. Otherwise we would most definently have met you guys afterwards! I felt really bad about it so...I'm very sorry!!!!

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Oh what the heck........Im just going to put them in the order I uploaded them. lol

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2289.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2293.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2294.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2299.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2301.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2303.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2304.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:10 PM
*sigh* :D
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2310.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2311.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2312.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2314.jpg

:O
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2319.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2320.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2321.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2322.jpg

Prettymaid
09-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Glenn told a funny story about how, when he was kid in one of his first bands, he and his friends would drive to Chicago to buy purple suits. He said what kind of suits – it was a kind I’d never heard of, but judging from the reaction of older people around me, it was very retro. I can just see Glenn with his old band The Mushrooms wearing a purple suit. Apparently some habits die hard!

Soda, as one of the older people, I believe the term Glenn used was neru (nay' roo) suits. Neru refers to the stand up notched collared jackets that were popular back in the late sixties, early seventies. Kind of reminds you of a priest's collar. Also known as a mandarin collar.

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Soda, as one of the older people, I believe the term Glenn used was neru (nay' roo) suits. Neru refers to the stand up notched collared jackets that were popular back in the late sixties, early seventies. Kind of reminds you of a priest's collar. Also known as a mandarin collar.

I should've known that - I've heard of those. You're only a few years older than I am. Thanks for filling me in!

Maleah - good start on the photos! So many close-ups!

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:18 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2288.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2283.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2279.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2277.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2273.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2266.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2264.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2262.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2256.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:22 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2255.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2248.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2242.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2240.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2239.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:34 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2237.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2232.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2221.jpg

had to have the HC background
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2210.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 05:43 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention, we got in our seats about an hour before the show and Will came out to get some people. He did NOT look happy (although he looked GOOD :D ) and to be honest, he really didn't look very happy throughout most of the show. But needless to say......I freaked out and went LOOK LOOK....there's Will! He's part of the band! lol He walked right by out seats....two seats away.:thumbsup:

DonFan
09-27-2008, 06:26 PM
WOW, Maleah--UNBELIEVABLE pictures! What terrific closeups!

Thanks to both of you for your reviews--it was just like I was there with you!

DonFan
09-27-2008, 06:29 PM
*sigh* :D
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2310.jpg

*Sigh* is right. LOVE this one. :heart:

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Thank you so much for sharing these, Maleah. Here's my favorite of Glenn:

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2240.jpg

Beautiful mood.

Maleah
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Oh trust me....I am nowhere done with the pictures! lol Those are two of my favorites too....but the best is yet to come ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2202.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2195.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2194.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2191.jpg

Prettymaid
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Terrific closeups Maleah! I got my new ava!

Maleah
09-27-2008, 06:52 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2191.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2369.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2366.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2364.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2361.jpg

Freypower
09-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Maleah, those are magnificent photos. Thanks so much.

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 07:17 PM
I have a new avie too! ;)

Maleah
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
A little bit of Mr. Will
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2434.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2420.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2417.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2403.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2402.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2395.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2390.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:17 PM
This is WAAAAY too blurry, but Joe's stance in it actually made me laugh out loud when I saw it. lol
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2535.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2501.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2478.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2458.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2451.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2462.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Oh....and Soda mentioned the shirt that I had made. Here it is......

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2541.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/IMG_2542.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:35 PM
And the car window paint we added on for the trip ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/0923082115.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/0923082114.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/0923082117.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Sorry about the overwhelming amount of pics guys.....but I'm posting them all today because I know if I don't then I'll forget and you'll never see them. I think I have about 20 or so left and they're the best ones and then we'll be done ;)

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2424.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2423.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2419.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2416.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2422.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:46 PM
:D :D :D :D :D
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2415.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2412.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2409.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2408.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2407.jpg

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 08:48 PM
Please don't apologize, Maleah! I've been checking the board all night to see these photos!

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:48 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2401.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2400.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2399.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2397.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2396.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2430.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:52 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2428.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2425.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2540.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2536.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2431.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2437.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:55 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2534.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2532.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2514.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2521.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2513.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2509.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:57 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2508.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2507.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2506.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2504.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2499.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2495.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 08:59 PM
:D :D :D
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2505.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2490.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2487.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2485.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2483.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2480.jpg

Maleah
09-27-2008, 09:01 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2479.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2468.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2460.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2443.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2464.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2463.jpg
Isn't he adorable? :D

DonFan
09-27-2008, 09:13 PM
:D :D :D
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2505.jpg

OH.
MY.
GOD. :smitten:
He certainly is!
Your pics are just about the best Eagles pics I have ever seen. They are so close that I feel like I am standing right beside them. How did you get past the camera nazis to take such great pictures?

Maleah
09-27-2008, 09:14 PM
I already forgot if I posted this one or not! :lol:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2439.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2503.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2486.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2497.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2481.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2461.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2450.jpg

http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2440.jpg

:woah: :jawdrop: :love: :xoxo: :hug: :iloveyou: :inlove: :heart: :heybaby: :smitten:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r89/bannerland/Eagles%20Concert/eagles%20concert%202/IMG_2442.jpg

And that's all folks! Hope you enjoyed!

DonFan
09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Maleah, you're the best! :bow:

Maleah
09-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Thanks DF! Actually, the camera nazi's stopped me after 2 pics and shined their flashlight on me and told me I needed to put the camera away. Right after that Glenn said we could take as many still pics as we wanted so I clicked away. I nearly stuck my tongue out at the security guard ;) :lol:

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 09:26 PM
Thank you so much for capturing this special night, Maleah. The quality is astounding.

You ROCK!

:bow: :bow: :bow:

DonFan
09-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Well, thanks to Glenn for giving you permission, and thank you, Maleah, for your great skill at photography. You have captured moments that show the true personality of each one of the guys.

And I am absolutely in love with your Don pics. So many smiles, so many great expressions!

luvthelighthouse
09-27-2008, 10:31 PM
WOW, those pics are awesome! Did you see the whole concert through a camera lens? :) I think you captured everything! Great photography, I'm very impressed!

On a different note... I know it's been said that Joe looked stoic... but I have to say I didn't think so. To me, it just seemed like intense concentration... but that's me... I think he looked really happy to be playing to a crowd that adored him. Honestly, whenever Joe was the focus, the crowd amped it up, they just went nuts for him. :partytime:

Oh, and Soda, you said this is their last tour? Did I miss that they announced that somewhere? Or are you drawing that conclusion because you don't foresee another album in their future and they fact that they are getting older? It just saddens me to know I'll never see them again... yet makes seeing them this once all the more special. KWIM?

Oh and Soda, please compare and contrast any differences you noticed between the two shows.

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 10:44 PM
Oh, and Soda, you said this is their last tour? Did I miss that they announced that somewhere? Or are you drawing that conclusion because you don't foresee another album in their future and they fact that they are getting older? It just saddens me to know I'll never see them again... yet makes seeing them this once all the more special. KWIM?

Oh and Soda, please compare and contrast any differences you noticed between the two shows.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I knew for sure it would be their last tour. They made no such announcement. I sure hope it's not... but let's face it, it's a real possibility.

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 11:00 PM
BTW, I'm still working on the second review - it's coming!

The Bomber
09-27-2008, 11:23 PM
Hi, sorry I haven't been around, been busy... but I had to chime in here. THE EAGLES ROCK! My wife and I went Thursday and we winced at the prices, but it was worth every penny. What a great show! Joe was INCREDIBLE. My fave song Life's Been Good brought the house down! Maybe he was more into it Thursday than Wednesday because he didn't look stoic to me. He is the STAR of the live shows, no doubt about it.

Can't wait to read your review for Thursday, Soda. I hope it's as detailed as that Wednesday one.

These photos are TERRIFIC. Any photos from Thursday?

09-27-2008, 11:39 PM
WOW MALEAH!!!!

You have done the impossible - I am speechless!!!!!!

:fainting: :fainted:

rickmullen
09-27-2008, 11:48 PM
How in the world did you get THAT LENS into the concert?

GlennLover
09-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Maleah, those shots are absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!!! WOW!!!!!GREAT JOB!!!!!! :nahnah: :thumbsup: The guys are soooo HOT :smokin::jawdrop::smitten: :heart: !!!!! I wish I could see them again :-(. Oh well, at least I can enjoy your wonderful pictures!

ticky
09-28-2008, 01:14 AM
Wow Maleah! Those are amazing!! Thank you so much for all of those!! Joe looks wonderful *G* He's my new wallpaper btw *G*
I am so impressed by your photography skills. Is there no end to your talents? (and btw.. love the t-shirt *G*)
The guys should hire you as their official photographer! and :nahnah: to the camera nazis!

sodascouts
09-28-2008, 01:34 AM
THURSDAY

I only put down the things that stood out to me as different from the first night (as detailed in Part 1 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39555&postcount=48) and Part 2 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=39603&postcount=49)), so this one’s shorter. I had an alternate perspective, on the first tier towards the back - it was definitely not quite the same! lol. Still, the guy next to me was kind enough to lend me his binoculars, and through those I could see them very clearly.

How Long
As always, How Long rocked. Afterward, Glenn gave a twist on his usual no-video speech: “You know, we’d appreciate it if you didn’t video us. At our age, we don’t like to be filmed! So, if you see someone next to you filming... just grab their camera, throw it on the ground, and stomp on it! Act like you’re Sean Penn and they’re the paparazzi!” I busted out laughing. How can you resent the request when it’s made like that?

Guilty of the Crime
It seemed to me that this song was a bit different than prior nights and on the album, which I really appreciated! Adding some vocal and guitar nuances that differ from the album really engage me.

I Can’t Tell You Why
I noticed from on high that they do a nice split screen on this one, showing Glenn, Don, and Joe during the backup parts.

Lyin’ Eyes
Glenn started once again with the “Don and I were living together” bit, then paused. “We had separate bedrooms,” he clarified, to uproarious laughter. “We used to go down to this place called Dan Tana’s and see this scenario playing out every night, so we decided to write a song about it. It took us two nights; now it would probably take us two years.” (A more realistic estimate than the two months of the prior night!) He added a twist to the Plaintiff joke: “Since one of my lawyers is here tonight, I’d like to dedicate this song to my first wife, Plaintiff.” A little funnier that way! Still, the guy next to me said, “That joke’s from Farewell 1.” Here’s the thing: if your jokes have been immortalized on celluloid, everyone can call you on using them more than once. Time to change the banter.

The Long Run
Way up in the heights, not many people were dancing... but they all got up for this one! Don announced afterward that they would take a break so that people could get some refreshment and beverages. ;)

No More Walks in the Woods
From my new vantage point, I again noticed the split screen... but I wasn’t too happy about it this time. On one side of the arena, the split screen showed only Don and Tim – on the other side, only Glenn and Joe. It stayed like that for the whole song. Guess which was the only screen I got to see. :( I mean, no offense to Don and Tim, but they could have shown all four guys to the whole audience.

Waiting in the Weeds
Before this song started, Don surprised me by chastising some people who were standing during No More Walks in the Woods. “When we sit down, you can too. Maybe then the people behind you can see for a change.” Ouch. At least the song was good.

Love Will Keep Us Alive
I was surprised when Tim added to his usual introduction that the song was a “sappy love song,” but I was pleased when he broke out into “tempted by the fruit of another, tempted but the truth is discovered” when talking about Paul Carrack and how he was in Squeeze and all that.

Somebody
Oops – Glenn messed up on this one! He threw himself into that chorus – “SOMEBODY!” – a bit too early. It was still supposed to be a verse. He realized his mistake quickly and, after a pause to figure out where everybody else was, he went into the second line of the verse. He flashed a grin, obviously embarrassed, and as he continued to sing he took a moment to hit himself in the head with his fist. lol! I thought Joe’s solo sounded different than usual. Once again, I appreciated them mixing it up a bit.

Band Intros
When Glenn introduced Steuart, it sounded like he was getting booed! Glenn looked confused for a moment, then said “They’re saying 'STU.'” It reminds me of the time I saw a video of Bruce Springsteen coming out on stage – the audience chanted “BRUUUUUUUUUCE” and it sounded like they were booing, lol.

Another notable thing about the intros: when Glenn introduced Don, he did so as his “best friend from 1971” – and Don got a huge reaction from the crowd. After a moment, Glenn said, “You know, it’s always been such a thrill for me, whenever I’d contribute to an Eagles song, to know that Don would be singing it. It was downright inspirational.” I guess he didn’t get the memo that he’s supposed to despise Don, according to Felder.

When Tim introduced Glenn as being from Detroit, the Motor City et. al, and My Girl began to play, Glenn started to sing it... AWAY FROM THE MIC! He actually LEANED BACK! We couldn’t hear a thing. You’re killing me, Glenn! He remarked that Detroit wasn’t too far from Chicago, but it was about as close as he wanted to get to Detroit nowadays. Hate to say it, but I’d have to agree with Glenn there. I’ve been to Detroit three times in the past few years and it’s one of the scariest towns I’ve ever driven through! He then added the “fertilizer of my genius” bit, and repeated his cute story about the purple jackets.

Life’s Been Good
Joe forgot a line of Life’s Been Good! Oops! Otherwise it was good.

Dirty Laundry
When I glanced to the screens to get a better view of the guys’ faces at one point, I was surprised to see that their faces were framed like magazine covers as they sang. I strained to read the writing to no avail. Very cool!

Rocky Mountain Way
Another double encore. I was thrilled! Since they had made a few mistakes and the crowd wasn’t as energetic as the first night, I wondered. But we got it!

All She Wants to Do Is Dance
Watching the screens for a bit, I noticed Joe was also on keyboards. Never really took a gander at him before!

Desperado
I was so sad when this ended, knowing that this would be my last show for a while... perhaps my last show ever, if they don’t come this way again and don’t do another tour. The older couple next to me held each other and swayed. I got a little emotional. Despite all the disappointments of earlier in the day, I don’t regret going.

tbsfan
09-28-2008, 08:31 AM
Love Will Keep Us Alive
I was surprised when Tim added to his usual introduction that the song was a “sappy love song,” but I was pleased when he broke out into “tempted by the fruit of another, tempted but the truth is discovered” when talking about Paul Carrack and how he was in Squeeze and all that.
He introduces LWKUA as a "sappy love song" sometimes. In Nashville he called it a "wonderfully sappy love song" which I think is better. He was apparently quite chatty in Nashville though because we got the two things you mentioned as well as the comment about their Nashville friends and his shout-out to George Grantham.

luvthelighthouse
09-28-2008, 10:41 AM
Soda, how on earth do you remember all those details from each night? If I had seen them both nights, I think my thoughts would have all meshed to one.

That's truely a remarkable memory you have!

Prettymaid
09-28-2008, 10:45 AM
First of all, Maleah, thank you for posting those great photos! What a wonderful way to memorialize a wonderful night!

I was surprised to read that security had warned you about using the camera. I guess they weren't given the memo from Glenn!

Soda, your review of Thusday night reminded me that the big side screens sometimes showed excellent 'fusing' of two or three of them together, while in reality on stage they weren't nearly close enough to each other to be getting that shot. I thought that was done well. (However, I did not pay big bucks to watch them on a screen, and most of the night I was looking directly at the stage or through my binoculars).

Selfishly, I was glad to hear that the crowd was more into them on Wednesday. I know I did my part, hootin' and hollerin'!

09-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Excellent reviews as usual, Soda. I'm so glad you decided to go both nights, and good score on the $60 ticket. But, you gotta quit all that talking that this may be your last time to see the guys. Ya hear me. There is no way - you WILL see them again - sometime, somehow!!!!

Prettymaid
09-28-2008, 11:00 AM
I think it was Brooke who mentioned what kind of shoes they were all wearing in St. Louis. But she said she could not see Joe's shoes. Joe's pants were too long, IMO, and they 'puddled' more than the other guys'. But at one point, through my nocs I saw the tops of Joe's shoes and they looked sparkly. I couldn't tell if they were patent leather or sequins or had little lights. I told my hubby to look but he couldn't tell either. Did anybody notice Joe's shoes?

sodascouts
09-28-2008, 11:26 AM
Sorry - I didn't get a look at them!

Maleah
09-28-2008, 02:24 PM
lol Yeah I did take a lot of pictures.....I tend to be pic-happy. lol Maybe that's why it looked like they were looking at me in a couple of the pics. :nahnah: I know they don't like it when people take a lot of pictures, but I figured if this was going to be the only time I ever see them and I paid $200 for the ticket.......then I want something to look back on and remember it by.

As for the camera, it's only a canon 8mp with 10x zoom so no detachable lens or anything fancy.

Guys I'm going into serious withdrawels already! I was listening to How Long in my car today and I almost cried! lol All my family and friends laughed at me and shook their head when I said that I felt like crying when they came out on stage. They just don't understand :headshake:

Maleah
09-28-2008, 02:27 PM
I think it was Brooke who mentioned what kind of shoes they were all wearing in St. Louis. But she said she could not see Joe's shoes. Joe's pants were too long, IMO, and they 'puddled' more than the other guys'. But at one point, through my nocs I saw the tops of Joe's shoes and they looked sparkly. I couldn't tell if they were patent leather or sequins or had little lights. I told my hubby to look but he couldn't tell either. Did anybody notice Joe's shoes?

I think I saw them in a couple of the pics :lol:

Prettymaid
09-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Guys I'm going into serious withdrawels already! I was listening to How Long in my car today and I almost cried! lol All my family and friends laughed at me and shook their head when I said that I felt like crying when they came out on stage. They just don't understand :headshake:

I understand, Maleah. That's what's so nice about having this board to come to. There are people here just like you who understand exactly how you feel.

Maleah
09-28-2008, 04:01 PM
Exactly! That's why I love it here so much! I wish I lived closer to people who loved them as much as me....people who would be willing to spend that much to go to as many as they could. lol

09-28-2008, 05:04 PM
Maleah - I definitely understand, too! Unfortunately, PEW can be very tough and I don't think there is any known cure. :wink:

ticky
09-28-2008, 05:06 PM
Ive been suffering from PEW for 6 years now (eeww.. makes me want to go take a shower...)

Glennsallnighter
09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Wow!! Soda that was some experience and some review. You were very brave to wait until the night for the tickets but gladly your gamble paid off! What nights you had and what great reviews. It is great that you can remember so much as well. I really hope that we all get the chance to see them live again.

I felt very sorry however that you missed the Joe M&G.

Maleah, Girl, what can I say about those pics. :jawdrop:They are STUNNING!! :bow::bow::bow::inlove::inlove::inlove:

Its quite obvious that the touring schedule is not being too hard on the boys! Glenn :heart: looks absolutely divine, and he also looks like he is enjoying himself so much.

To all of you others who managed to meet each other and get to these gigs, all I can say is I'm glad you had such a brilliant time. Kudos to you all and hopefully there will be many more such meets and gigs!!

09-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Oh yeah - I forgot to comment about Soda missing the M&G. I let her cry on my shoulder about that because, unfortunately, I knew EXACTLY how she felt. :weep: I still haven't gotten over my missed opportunity to meet Joe, but I just have to keep telling myself that it wasn't meant to be. :sad: :sigh: :headshake:

We will have another chance at that too, soda!

Troubadour
09-28-2008, 06:14 PM
Wow, Maleah... I am grinning from ear to ear after looking through all of your pics! They are just fantastic, all of them. Of course, the Don ones made my heart beat a little faster :heart: I cannot put into words how much I am dying to see these guys live. I can totally understand your feelings upon seeing them. Nobody around me gets it either - thank goodness we have this place to share our excitement!

Thanks Soda, too, for the great reviews. I'm sorry about the M&G but I'm glad you had a wonderful time seeing the boys. Loved Glenn's comments about Sean Penn (LOL) and Glenn and Don's sleeping arrangements... :angel: As for Don chastising those people... Eek! If he directed something like that at me during a concert, I'd probably cry! (Note to self: sit down when they sit down, stand up when they stand up...)

sodascouts
09-28-2008, 06:54 PM
As for Don chastising those people... Eek! If he directed something like that at me during a concert, I'd probably cry!

Seriously. It's not the first time Don has smacked down a fan at a concert (one time he snapped at a fan for waving an American flag when they were overseas. I kid you not). I wonder if he realizes how devastating that is to a fan, when someone you admire so much pours contempt over you? Why hurt a fan like that when they don't mean any harm?

It's a shame.

Freypower
09-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Maleah, those photos left me gobsmacked. There were a couple of 'oh look, there is a camera' shots that had me shifting around in my seat if you know what I mean. There were some particularly excellent smiles from Don. Who said these guys hate each other and don't enjoy themselves on stage?

Thanks Soda for the review. Screwing up Somebody - I hope it wasn't too bad.

Maleah
09-28-2008, 07:22 PM
Seriously. It's not the first time Don has smacked down a fan at a concert (one time he snapped at a fan for waving an American flag when they were overseas. I kid you not). I wonder if he realizes how devastating that is to a fan, when someone you admire so much pours contempt over you? Why hurt a fan like that when they don't mean any harm?

It's a shame.

It really is! If he were to say something like that to me....I would have cried too and it would have ruined the entire concert for me. To be completely honest with you....as much as I love the guy....my respect for him would go down a bit....if it were directed at me that is. ;) I felt a little uncomfortable even with the looks on their faces in a couple of pics and I don't even know if they were really looking at me! lol!

FP I'm glad you liked them! Everytime I saw one of them smile, I tried really hard to capture it because they were such special moments!

Troubadour
09-28-2008, 07:43 PM
It really is! If he were to say something like that to me....I would have cried too and it would have ruined the entire concert for me. To be completely honest with you....as much as I love the guy....my respect for him would go down a bit....if it were directed at me that is. ;) I felt a little uncomfortable even with the looks on their faces in a couple of pics and I don't even know if they were really looking at me! lol!

I agree, hearing this kind of thing does leave me feeling a bit disappointed. (I'm not someone who thinks the guys are perfect or that they should be perpetually in a good mood, but the American flag story for example sounds really harsh - surely the fans were just showing that they were Americans too, and that they'd possibly travelled overseas to see the show?) Unless somebody is being completely rowdy and obnoxious - in which case, the security should deal with them - what's the point in upsetting someone and completely spoiling their night? I would feel about an inch tall if one of them directed a nasty comment at me, and I guarantee I would spend the rest of the concert - and beyond - feeling awful. I've thought about this before when I've read about Glenn glaring at someone throughout a whole song if they're filming or taking pictures... I mean, I can understand that to a degree, but surely it just makes the atmosphere uncomfortable and spoils the song for everyone if the singer looks preoccupied and annoyed?

I love the guys to bits and this doesn't change my perception of them, but I guess I'm a bit bemused as to why they would bother making some of these comments, especially if it's obvious the audience member meant no harm at all. Can you seriously berate someone for standing up at a concert?

Prettymaid
09-28-2008, 08:08 PM
I'll bet the people behind the person standing were happy, although there were a million better ways to get that point across!

Maleah
09-28-2008, 08:11 PM
It depends on what you say and how you say it. When we went to a Keith Urban concert here, there were some fans who kept holding up a HUGE sign for him to see. He acknowledged the sign twice and by the third time told them that he had seen it and they needed to put it down now because the people behind them would like to see. But the tone he used and how he said it didn't sound so mean. I'm sure the people with the sign were still disappointed.....but it wasn't said in a way that would have left them walking out feeling an inch high.

sodascouts
09-28-2008, 08:44 PM
I'll bet the people behind the person standing were happy, although there were a million better ways to get that point across!

Yeah, they applauded!

I remember at a Glenn solo concert at Casino Rama, a lot of us went up to the front during Lyin' Eyes when we saw that the guards were cool with it. Glenn said, "It's OK for you to stay up here, but do me a favor - make sure you don't block the view of the people behind you." If he had ordered us to sit down so the front row could see better, I would have been mortified! I thought he handled that very well.

It's also why I was so glad Glenn didn't start a glare-fest on the first night in Chicago during TITTL. We rely on the performer to communicate the song's feeling - when they're communicating anger and annoyance instead, it definitely ruins it for everyone. It certainly ruined Peaceful Easy Feeling at Glenn's Crosslake concert. The way Glenn did the "Sean Penn" thing in Chicago makes me think that he's starting to realize such a disarming approach is far more effective and far less detrimental to the concert experience than the Frey-Eye.

And the guys must also realize that no matter what... some people are going to do it anyway. Once they make their wishes known, it's true that many people who initially might have filmed will choose not to do so. It's most effective on those within sight of the band, so the closer videos will be reduced a great deal, perhaps by as much as 90%. Perhaps that's their goal; perhaps they are resigned to the fact that, like mischievous children, the audience members out of their sight are more likely to defy them and film anyway. If you go to YouTube, you'll see that almost all the videos up are taken from a distance.

I wonder if they realize that the highest-quality videos are not taken from close to the stage, but rather from those in the tiers filming the screens?

At any rate, they have to understand that no strategy will be 100% effective. They don't have to like it, but they have to accept it: somebody's gonna film someone, before the night is through. Somebody's got their camera on. There's nothing they can do.

But as for me, I'll never be pulling out that camera to videotape them again.

The Bomber
09-28-2008, 09:47 PM
Henley's annoyance came through loud and clear when he told those people to sit down. Funny thing is I think he believed he was being polite. Haha.

If you had told Henley in 1976 that in 2008 he'd be telling audience members to sit down, he'd have probably laughed in your face.

I never stand if I'm the only one though. I think standing at concerts should be a group thing. One person standing alone looks weird. If you can get the people around ya to stand, that works fine, but just you and a cople other people doesn't cut it.

Frey asking us not to film worked on me. Not that I could get any good video anyway from where I was sitting. We were at the back of the floor. Wish there were some photos from Thurs. since I couldn't get any.

Wanted to add something to the review. During encore breaks kids were waving their cell phones instead of lighters. HAHA!

DonFan
09-28-2008, 10:02 PM
As for Don chastising those people... Eek! If he directed something like that at me during a concert, I'd probably cry! (Note to self: sit down when they sit down, stand up when they stand up...)

When I went to OKC last summer to see Don solo, I had third row seats, the closest I had ever been, so I was trying to take a lot of pictures. A good number of other people were taking pictures too. The stage was pretty high and I was to the left, so I wasn't right in his line of vision. Anyway, somewhere about the 4th or 5th song, he says, "A couple of pictures per song is okay, but some of you are trying to turn this into your own personal photo session. Please stop--it is distracting." I immediately blushed and put my camera away. He did it in as nice a way as possible and I knew he was talking to everyone, not just me, but still I was embarassed. Later on Soda sent me a bootleg of that very performance, which was very special to me because he sang a new, slower version of End of the Innocence that just blew everyone away. Anyway, when I heard that camera comment again, I still felt like he was talking directly to me!:blush:

sodascouts
09-28-2008, 10:05 PM
I never stand if I'm the only one though. I think standing at concerts should be a group thing. One person standing alone looks weird. If you can get the people around ya to stand, that works fine, but just you and a cople other people doesn't cut it.

I kind of agree, but then there's that gray middle area between nobody standing and everybody standing. I usually will stand if I see other people in the section standing, even if they're not near me. Many times I'd be the only one in my particular few rows standing, but maybe 4 rows ahead, a few other people would be standing...

I've been at concerts where the majority of the floor NEVER sat down, not even for slow songs, so the tempo alone isn't a determinant as Don implied. That said, I do feel silly standing during a slow song if no one else around me is. I remember I was torn about TITTL - it starts slow and the people around me weren't standing, but it was my favorite song and I knew it would eventually get to the fist-waving part! So I stood, and before long, the people around me were standing too. So you never know.

Wanted to add something to the review. During encore breaks kids were waving their cell phones instead of lighters. HAHA!I did that too. :blush:

Brooke
09-28-2008, 10:10 PM
OMG, Maleah, your pictures are just wonderful! All of the guys just look gorgeous! What a great job you did and how nice of Glenn to actually relent and allow pictures. I still don't understand why he allows it at some shows and not at others though. I was so disappointed at St. Louis. :headshake:

Yours and Soda's reviews were fantastic! I don't know how you can remember all those details either. Great job, both of you.

And I LOVED your t-shirt! You are so clever and talented! :thumbsup:

StephUK
09-29-2008, 05:40 AM
Wonderful photos Maleah.

Thanks for posting these beautiful ones of the lovely Will Hollis. I'm in 'Hollis Heaven' now! Although I'm already having Eagles Withdrawal since seeing them in Houston & Dallas.

Steph

http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Will/IMG_2434.jpg
http://i216.photobucket.com/albums/cc72/sonnetlvii/Will/IMG_2513.jpg

TimothyBFan
09-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Maleah--You just made me cry like a baby!! Thank you so much for letting me relive my wonderful night thru your pictures again. I hope you don't mind, but I want to download them all onto my computer in their own special folder named Eagles Chicago 9-24-08 to keep forever!!! Thanks again!!! You made my morning!

MikeA
09-29-2008, 09:38 AM
Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I knew for sure it would be their last tour. They made no such announcement. I sure hope it's not... but let's face it, it's a real possibility.

I definitely do not think this will be their last tour. Everything I've heard indicates that they like the money and the release they get when performing. From what I've heard, "yes" they feel the stresses, but "that is what they DO." I think they LOVE IT. The performing I mean.

As for another CD....I think all of them have left the door cracked so that the possibility is there, but the likelihood is very slim that they will record another. I recall things to that effect that Don and Joe have both said in interviews.

But do not be at all surprised if they continue touring for 15 years on this tour <LOL> There is precedent (1994 through 2007 basically on the same tour!) Heck, they are ONLY 60 now. That's YOUNG! I speak from experience <smile>.

glenneaglesfan
09-29-2008, 06:10 PM
Maleah, :partytime:I have to say that is the best set of Eagles photos I have ever seen. Thank you, girl, you rock!! Your camera is first class, and we are all reaping the benefits.
I tried to post my favourite, which is Glenn doing a high five with Will in the background. I've already taken a couple off for desktops. Superb!!!

Maleah
09-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Maleah--You just made me cry like a baby!! Thank you so much for letting me relive my wonderful night thru your pictures again. I hope you don't mind, but I want to download them all onto my computer in their own special folder named Eagles Chicago 9-24-08 to keep forever!!! Thanks again!!! You made my morning!

Awww Willie you about made ME cry! lol I'm glad you enjoyed them so much....it was a very special night that I'll never forget! I'm glad that I got to share it with you, Soda, and PM!!

Thanks everyone for the compliments ;) I'm glad you all like the pics! I couldn't wait to share them with you guys!!!! lol

Scooby
09-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Maleah! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! for the Fantastic photos! I have been checking them out over and over all day! :drool: :thumbsup:
YOU DONE GOOD! :)

Prettymaid
09-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Maleah, I put the photos on my ipod and took them to work to show everyone. They were all very impressed with the quality you got.

Thanks again!

Maleah
10-01-2008, 09:14 PM
lol! Thanks again guys! Glad you like them all! You should see the posters! :O When I get them up in my room I'll take a picture and show you all! :)

Prettymaid
10-02-2008, 08:53 AM
Soda, I've keep forgetting to ask you, when we were standing there talking before the show, the woman in the seat just in front of yours said something about their seats being upgraded. She pointed up to the nosebleed area and said that that was where they were originally supposed to sit. Do you know what she was talking about? How did they get moved from nosebleed to row 9? :shock:

tbs fanatic
10-02-2008, 01:16 PM
WOW! Great Reviews and FANTASTIC PHOTOS!!! :jawdrop: How do you guys remember such detail? Great. As for the photos - incredible Maleah. You are a fantabulous photographer.

Peekaboo
10-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Those were definitely some first class photos Maleah!!! Excellent job!! You're pics have got me reliving my first Eagles concert last month and very much looking forward to seeing them again next month. Love all the reviews too. Nice job to everybody for capturing both nights and letting us share in the fun and excitement!! Thanks a bunch!!

Peekaboo
10-03-2008, 07:34 PM

Well i did notice that Joe was wearing black Nikes at the Tulsa concert. I wonder if he wore the same shoes in Chicago too.

Peekaboo
10-03-2008, 07:41 PM

Trust me, i know how you feel. I actually did shed a few tears when i saw them. When the lights came on and they started playing How Long, i couldn't believe that i was actually there and that the guys were right in front of me. I surprised the heck out of myself when I felt tears running down my face. But it was amazing and totally worth all the money to be there.

Mrs Henley
10-04-2008, 01:40 PM
Trust me, i know how you feel. I actually did shed a few tears when i saw them. When the lights came on and they started playing How Long, i couldn't believe that i was actually there and that the guys were right in front of me. I surprised the heck out of myself when I felt tears running down my face. But it was amazing and totally worth all the money to be there.

I'm know exactly what you mean! It was still dark on stage and they walked on stage (we saw them yeah!) and I started to cry almost, I finally saw them, I saw Don in the front of me and that was just so magic!

sodascouts
10-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Soda, I've keep forgetting to ask you, when we were standing there talking before the show, the woman in the seat just in front of yours said something about their seats being upgraded. She pointed up to the nosebleed area and said that that was where they were originally supposed to sit. Do you know what she was talking about? How did they get moved from nosebleed to row 9? :shock:

Yes! Here's what she said happened. She said she and her husband bought tickets way up in the boonies. She want to the ticket window and asked if they could upgrade to more expensive tickets. The guy looked up "best available" and 9th row center aisle came up! He agreed to credit them the money they paid for the cheap tickets towards the more expensive ones, which they bought on the spot. Suh-weet!

I don't know if that's the norm, but it's pretty darn cool.

10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Soda, I agree - that was pretty darn cool that the guy gave them credit for their nosebleeds. I doubt if that is the standard policy, but it should be, IMHO.

StephUK
10-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Another thing I forgot to mention, we got in our seats about an hour before the show and Will came out to get some people. He did NOT look happy (although he looked GOOD :D ) and to be honest, he really didn't look very happy throughout most of the show. But needless to say......I freaked out and went LOOK LOOK....there's Will! He's part of the band! lol He walked right by out seats....two seats away.:thumbsup:

Wow! what I wouldn't give to see Will that close up! Wonder why he looked SO unhappy. He always looks sort of unhappy when he's playing - I think it's just his natural expression(Mr Serious) 'cos when Glenn introduces him he always puts on a big smile.

Steph

Brooke
07-30-2009, 03:17 PM
Ya know, I was just browsing Maleah's pics here today and am again stunned at their awesomeness! They must be the best concert pics I've ever seen taken by a fan. How she did it, I'll never know. :bow: :jawdrop:

If you haven't checked them out lately, they start on page 6 of this thread! It's worth the trip!

And thanks once again, Maleah! You deserve a medal or something for these! :applause:

eaglesfever
07-30-2009, 03:31 PM
If you haven't checked them out lately, they start on page 6 of this thread! It's worth the trip!

I thought I should have a look after your comment...
These pictures are really great! So many very good close shots! Had fun to look at them! That's what I enjoy in general here on the board - so many lovely pics!

Prettymaid
07-30-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm so proud to say I was at this show and actually met Maleah, along with Soda and TBF. To this day I use Maleah's pictures as my screen saver. Not only are they out of this world, but they also trigger wonderful memories for me!

Stars
07-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Brooke, on your recommendation, I decided to go look at Maleah's pictures, as I had never seen them before.
WOW- Maleah, you did a super fantastic job-they were absolutely mind blowing!
I especially enjoyed the ones where the guys were smiling-they looked like they were having a ball. Wish I could have been there, but your pictures made me feel like I was!:thumbsup:

Koala
07-31-2009, 01:03 AM
Brooke, I totally agree with you!
I love Maleah's pics! They are really excellent! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
07-31-2009, 07:56 AM
Ahh the memories!!! :sigh: Thanks Maleah for preserving those memories in photos!! They are the best!!

Prettymaid
07-31-2009, 12:24 PM
Willie, don't you agree, we're so lucky to have such great pictures to remember our first concert by! I know they're wearing the suits and we've seen umpteen photos of the guys wearing their suits, but these are our concert photos and Maleah did such a fantastic job from row 5!

Brooke
07-31-2009, 01:24 PM
That makes me think a bit about the suits and, in some small way, I'm happy they wore the same thing at Chicago. (Although I prefer jeans.) Since I saw them on the 20th, just 4 days before you all, these photos are very representative of my concert, too, and I've saved some of them and pretend they are from mine! My few pics just didn't turn out very well, plus the camera nazis were out in full force and I had nowhere to hide in the front row. So thanks again, Maleah!

It's still confusing to me that Glenn announced it was ok to take still pictures in Chicago, but in St.Louis none were allowed. :sad:

Maleah
07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
Aww I'm so glad you guys like them! I really am. Willie and PM.....we shall forever share a bond....you two, Soda, and myself! :) Wish I could have hung out with you gals more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(

Maleah
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
And Brooke....as for how I did it......I snapped a pic about every 3rd second ;) LOL!! I DID get told to put the camera away though! RIGHT before Glenn announced it was ok. Did I mention I wanted to stick my tongue out at the security guy? teehee :hilarious:

07-31-2009, 01:42 PM
It's still confusing to me that Glenn announced it was ok to take still pictures in Chicago, but in St.Louis none were allowed. :sad:

Brooke - I think it's all about the venue - I guess it's the same reason you can approach the stage at some venues, but aren't allowed anywhere close in others. At least, blaming the venue is the only rational explanation I can think of.

Now - as far as Maleah's pictures, I am still in awe everytime I see one. They are truly amazing!!! :nod: :nod:

sodascouts
07-31-2009, 05:03 PM
Oh, what a night! I hooked up with Willie and her husband at the hotel, then off to join PM and her husband for dinner as we excitedly prepared to see the Eagles, and then getting to talk to Maleah during the show (although I wish we had been able to hang out more as well). A wonderful time I will never forget - and Maleah, your wonderful photos ensure I will never forget how they looked that night. Thank you!

Maleah
07-31-2009, 11:41 PM
I really want to meet up with more people again! It was so cool to be able to actually TALK with you guys! I mean, I've talked with you over the phone of course Nancy but it was even cooler face to face! I already told Ticky that I'd like to try to make it to Oregon when they announce a show. It would be so much fun if more of us could meet up for a show.

Prettymaid
08-01-2009, 09:41 AM
Absolutely Maleah, it's a dream of mine,too.

Troubadour
08-01-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd love to meet more Borderers. I've found a real friend in Jess, and talking to Nancy, Kay and Carla over the phone has made me determined to meet up with more of you!

GlennLover
08-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Me too! Although I'm not geographically very close to many Borderers & travelling very far is not in the cards in the near future. I can't help but be envious when I read about some of you lucky people actually meeting up :). :jealous: Now if any of you would like to vacation on the East coast of Canada ...:wink:

TimothyBFan
08-03-2009, 08:18 AM
As soon as I win that lottery--we will have that Border party and we will all get to meet. Or, according to my birthday story from Rhonda, she will win the lottery and we all meet in Vegas for front row tickets... It's in the stars guys, just be patient!!:thumbsup:

luvthelighthouse
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
I was too new to the boards back then and didn't really know anyone. Looking back, it would have been fun to meet up w/you all. I went to the show on the 25th... and looking at the pics, it felt like "my" show too...even though the pics are from 24 hours earlier.

I loved every second of that show! Talk about wanting to relive a moment... or three hours... ya know, whichever. :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
09-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Don't know why it dawned on me this morning but it did---this weekend will be the 3rd anniversary of these shows! WOW--can't believe it's been that long ago. Just spent a big share of the last 1/2 hour or so going through this thread and checking out Maleah's wonderful pictures again. Do believe it's time to pull out a new avi from one of them in honor of the anniversary. Off to make me one!

luvthelighthouse
09-20-2011, 09:01 AM
In some ways it was like yesterday, in other ways, OMG, 3 years!!! I was at the show on the 25th and it was amazing! It was my first time seeing them live and they brought it all! We had so many treats that night on the set list if I recall. To me, it was a true LROOE tour, since they played so many songs from the album.

Ah memomories...

jdubfan
09-20-2011, 09:40 AM
It's funny sometimes how life goes, decisions, actions, not made or made, that determine events. What happens to you and what makes a lasting impact, small moments that you barely realize in the moment....these two shows were the first times I had seen the Eagles live after being a lifelong fan. The memories of getting to meet Joe have been so important, sustaining to me, as life has been full of loss since then...family, friends, my career. My best friend that met Joe with me is gone now, but we sure had a helluva time that night! That's what I choose to remember, not the loss. There's barely a day that goes by even now, that hearing one of his songs, or a phrase, or a How ya doin' that gives me a secret grin no one else understands from the great times that night. The one impulsive moment of buying these tickets has ended up being so important to me, in ways I can't measure. Sure, I shouldn't have spent the money in retrospect, but as I was recently told...Life is short and hard with no guarantees, if you find a moment of happiness, go for it! They're more rare than they should be...at the end of your days, it's the fun times that fulfill you, not the bank balance. Thanks guys! Thanks Joe! I'm forever grateful!!

Prettymaid
09-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Good times......

LTL and Jdub, wish we could have met up back then. At least I got to meet LTL eventually at Timothy's solo show in Chicago. To all of our hubbies who are worried about us meeting other Borderers for whatever reasons.....:nahnah:

This was my first Eagles show too. Little did I know that I'd see them 2 more times. I've learned a valuable lesson since then....tickets in the first 3 rows if at all possible!!!! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Oh, gosh, has it been three years? I treasure the friendships from that night even more than the concerts themselves - although they were fabulous as well! I also wish I had gotten to meet LTL and Deb then.

Deb - how wonderful for you that you have that memory to treasure. I hope Joe realizes how much joy he gives fans.

Good times!!! Experience 'em while you can.

luvthelighthouse
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
:grouphug: I feel the need for a group hug!!! Thanks ladies! Meeting up would have made the concert even better! Glad we finally did meet at TBS show though!

Jdub, what a great outlook to have, remember the good times!

EaglesKiwi
09-21-2011, 03:45 PM
Deb - how wonderful for you that you have that memory to treasure. I hope Joe realizes how much joy he gives fans.

Good times!!! Experience 'em while you can.
Totally agree. Thanks for the inspiring post, Deb.

Hope all our boys realise how much joy they give us all! :partytime: And how grateful we are for it.

sodascouts
09-22-2011, 01:08 AM
I'm changing my avatar briefly in honor of this as well. ;)

WalshFan88
09-22-2011, 01:22 AM
Ah, my first (and only so far) Eagles concert was this one!!!!!! Very good memories of this one. I was at the show on the 25th. I was 8th row on Joe's side (of course! :D)

I remember loving the setlist but wishing that they would have substituted some of the LROOE (all except for How Long) songs for Already Gone, New Kid In Town, and Victim Of Love. But hey - as long as the band plays Hotel California and Life's Been Good I'm a happy guy. Those are the must haves in the setlist for me to go. Life's Been Good on the 25th was great. Joe sang a line he never has before "I have a limo ride in the back - I go to White Castle and get me a sack". I remember laughing. I also remember the chills I got when Hotel California started. That song is very emotional for me as you all know and one that is directly connected to my heart and soul. I think I welled up during the song actually somewhat. It's a very uplifting and inspirational song to me. I love it.

sodascouts
09-22-2011, 01:29 AM
When the band came out for Take It Easy, Glenn took a moment to say how much they all loved Chicago – “great food, great people.” He said “This is a song we used to play back at the Aire Crown Theater back in 1972” and broke into the song.

I was re-reading my old review and came across this. Check out "This Day in Eagles History" on the bottom of the front page today, folks - the Eagles played the 1972 Chicago gig on THIS DAY, Sept. 22! What a cool coincidence!

This part of my review also made me laugh:

I don't know if I'll ever see another Eagles show

Uh-huh. lol

sodascouts
09-22-2011, 02:13 AM
And I found this video on YouTube - astonishingly, still up! Probably because it's only partial (just the latter half of the song). It's still good, though. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDflxKI-0ks

WalshFan88
09-22-2011, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TuFqs3V8c

Henley Honey
09-23-2011, 07:41 PM
I just checked my old ticket stubs (cause I thought I was there in 2009) but it turns out it was 9/25/2008.

I had flown out that day with my friend Colleen and barely made the concert because the plane backed up over the tow bar & the pilot had to check the undercarriage for cracks and holes. I was like "Who cares about a few cracks -- get this tin can off the ground!!!" I was freaking out that I'd miss the show and not have enough time to "fluff and puff" before the show, but I made it!

I was in Section 3 (in front of Joe) Row 3 Seat 6. Was anybody near me??
I wasn't on the border yet but could have been sitting near you. Sounds like I missed meeting alot of you! Boo :worried:

I remember the woman next to me was extremely drunk and annoying. She stood the entire time they played Waiting in the Weeds, had a soft cast on her foot and kept falling. At one point I told the guy behind me (who caught her as many times as I did) "let her fall". Bye Bye annoying seatmate.

It was a fabulous show despite all the obstacles. If I remember correctly, there was alot more dancing at that show and not alot of security "sit downs".

Also remember how tough it was to get a cab back to hotel after the show. I thought it would be like NYC with cabs all over the place. Not so much.
I'd go back in a heartbeat. Fun city. Great show.

sodascouts
09-23-2011, 07:46 PM
I wasn't even on the floor that night - I was in the first tier off the floor, about 3/4 of the way towards the back of the "U." Not the best seat ever but they were still charging top dollar for it. Luckily, I got it for $60 off a guy desperate to unload his extra ticket so he and his wife could get out of the cold.

Wish I'd known you then! I was all by myself after that debacle where I got shut out of the meet'n'greet! Too bad it seems Joe isn't doing those anymore. Looks like that might have been my only chance.

On the positive side, though, I still enjoyed myself and I'm glad I went!

Henley Honey
09-23-2011, 07:49 PM
Looks like that might have been my only chance.

On the positive side, though, I still enjoyed myself and I'm glad I went!

Never say never. We could run into him in an elevator at the Borgata!

Wish I had known you then, too!

09-23-2011, 08:05 PM
I remember the woman next to me was extremely drunk and annoying. She stood the entire time they played Waiting in the Weeds, had a soft cast on her foot and kept falling. At one point I told the guy behind me (who caught her as many times as I did) "let her fall". Bye Bye annoying seatmate.

Wow - that was you! Damn - I thought you looked familiar when I met you in Niagara Falls! :lol:

(Just kidding, of course - but, I wish I had been at there!)

Prettymaid
09-23-2011, 08:11 PM
Also remember how tough it was to get a cab back to hotel after the show. I thought it would be like NYC with cabs all over the place. Not so much.
I'd go back in a heartbeat. Fun city. Great show.

Hubby and I learned that the hard way when we saw Paul McCartney there in 2002. What a nightmare!

Oh, and I was there - on the 24th.

Henley Honey
09-25-2011, 06:10 PM
Wow - that was you! Damn - I thought you looked familiar when I met you in Niagara Falls! :lol:

Damn, sissy -- I didn't recogonize you without the boot!!

WalshFan88
09-25-2011, 07:05 PM
I was all by myself after that debacle where I got shut out of the meet'n'greet! Too bad it seems Joe isn't doing those anymore. Looks like that might have been my only chance.

THERE WAS A MEET N' GREET?!?!?! :shock: Your kidding! I could literally die right now. I had NO clue there was a Joe meet and greet. I would have loved to have went and met my idol. :brickwall:

sodascouts
09-25-2011, 08:33 PM
You had to be a member of the fan club and send an e-mail that you wanted to go. In my case, the multiple e-mails I sent apparently never made it to the organizer until the day of the event when she replied to tell me it was too late (I had emailed weeks earlier), and the posts I made on the JWFC message board asking for my confirmation over a week earlier were never read. Kind of sucked for me but I'm very glad that other people had such a good experience with it.

In truth, long-time hardcore fans like Deb deserved to meet him a lot more than I did. If somebody had to be out in the cold, I'm glad it was me and not her. I guess it just wasn't "meant to be" in my case and I accept that. What's important is the wonderful experience fans like Deb had.

jdubfan
09-25-2011, 08:44 PM
Oh hon, I was one of the lucky ones....nearly got screwed out of it like Soda, and I am sorry for ya Soda, because it was fantastic. Somewhere on the board I went thru a blg, long shpiel describing every moment partically. But I could still tell it, because I remember it like yesterday.
I'm thinking that once the fc gets reorganized, things like this will happen again. The big picture is that he's still out there doing it up, so there's going to be more opportunities....my guess is when he releases the new cd, he's going to go all out with a tour, MnGs, tv appearances, you name it. That's my belief.

That's when I got my poster signed...and he took this pic with us

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5300/5541545809_71c53e5c34_m.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3121/4552712349_60794f7c97.jpg

never dreamed it would happen to me, so it can happen to anyone!

oohh, "long time" and "hardcore" makes me sound kind of exciting, heh heh...or scary...
Ticky had a lot of trauma and drama too, if I remember. Guess luvin' this fella ain't easy, but it's worth it....:)

WalshFan88
09-25-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm a hardcore fan and since his solo in Hotel California meant so much to me and the song saved my life I would love to have met him and told him and talked about guitars. He along with the other Eagles are the reason I'm still alive today but it was his part of the solo that lit the fire in me to play guitar. It still motivates me and inspires me to this day. My dying wish is to jam with him.

TimothyBFan
09-26-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm a hardcore fan and since his solo in Hotel California meant so much to me and the song saved my life I would love to have met him and told him and talked about guitars. He along with the other Eagles are the reason I'm still alive today but it was his part of the solo that lit the fire in me to play guitar. It still motivates me and inspires me to this day. My dying wish is to jam with him.

Yes, we know, we know, BUT were you a member of the Fan Club? That's what it was all about. Several of us joined the Fan Club as soon as we heard about the meet n greets. It still doesn't guarantee you'll get in, but that's the criteria, not who has the best story. :worried:

I just spit my pop out of my mouth as I read that! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
09-26-2011, 01:44 PM
Yes, we know, we know, BUT were you a member of the Fan Club? That's what it was all about. Several of us joined the Fan Club as soon as we heard about the meet n greets. It still doesn't guarantee you'll get in, but that's the criteria, not who has the best story. :worried:

Yes, I was. ;) I deserved to go had I even known about it then. I had no notifications about it or anything. I understand what you mean though but a heads up from the fan club would have been nice. But my story is very special nonetheless and I am as deserving as anyone else. :weep:

But it's whatever.

Prettymaid
09-28-2011, 10:04 PM
Just another perk of being on The Border - you find out about all that stuff here beforehand. :computer:

WalshFan88
09-28-2011, 10:30 PM
Just another perk of being on The Border - you find out about all that stuff here beforehand. :computer:

Had I only been a member then. :brickwall: :hilarious: