PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman dead at 83

ticky
09-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Friday Paul Newman died of cancer at his home new Westport Connecticut. He was surrounded by friends and family and died peacefully.
http://www.nofenders.net/uploaded_images/Paul-Newman-734301.jpg
I will always love Paul Newman. He was one of my favorite actors and I will miss him terribly.

sodascouts
09-27-2008, 12:44 PM
Oh no! I had no idea he was even sick. In fact, I didn't realize he'd hit 80. I guess we always picture him as that young man, captured forever on film.

R.I.P.

Troubadour
09-27-2008, 12:46 PM
I just saw this... I'm so sad :-( He was so beautiful and such a great man. I suppose none of us can ask for a longer or fuller life than he had, though. Rest in peace, Paul.

Prettymaid
09-27-2008, 12:47 PM
Hubby and I were just talking about Paul Newman last week. We read that he was not doing well, and I made the comment that he would probably be gone soon. What a great actor and humanitarian. And I love that you posted a Cool Hand Luke photo, Ticky. I love that movie.

ticky
09-27-2008, 12:58 PM
I cant even express how sad this makes me. Cool Hand Luke was a great movie, but Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Elizabeth Taylor and The Long Hot Summer which he starred in with his wife Joanne Woodward were probably two of my all time favorite movies, and I cant forget Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with Robert Redford (this movie ushered in my puberty *G*)
http://connect.afi.com/images/content/photos/large_12566.jpg
I will always love Paul and my heart goes out to his wife Joanne.

Prettymaid
09-27-2008, 01:07 PM
He was a very good looking man.

Troubadour
09-27-2008, 01:18 PM
Ah, Butch Cassidy. Robert Redford introduced me to the wonders of the moustache. (Before I discovered Glenn in his prime!)

I know how you feel, ticky. Even though I knew he wasn't well, it's still a shock to know we'll never see any more of him than we already have. He will be sorely missed.

glenneaglesfan
09-27-2008, 01:55 PM
Oh, I'm so sad to hear this. Paul was one of the icons of my youth - I adored him in Butch Cassidy and The Sting, and he was a role model for happy marriage with Joanne Woodward. My thoughts go to his family. He will be much missed.

Freypower
09-27-2008, 06:40 PM
This man was my hero and I am devastated, although I knew he was sick. Great actor, great philanthropist and 'those bright baby blues'.

http://media.kspr.com/images/paul%20newman.jpg

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/05hh8kAfci5g8/340x.jpg

The above shot is the card game from The Sting, one of my favourite scenes in any movie. Paul was a great comic as well as dramatic actor. He was also a loving husband to Joanne Woodward and a loving father.

DonFan
09-27-2008, 06:43 PM
I cant even express how sad this makes me. Cool Hand Luke was a great movie, but Cat on a Hot Tin Roof with Elizabeth Taylor and The Long Hot Summer which he starred in with his wife Joanne Woodward were probably two of my all time favorite movies, and I cant forget Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid with Robert Redford (this movie ushered in my puberty *G*)
http://connect.afi.com/images/content/photos/large_12566.jpg
I will always love Paul and my heart goes out to his wife Joanne.

I feel the same way, ticky. I was 13 when I saw Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid and I fell for both of them--both gorgeous, both talented and perfectly cast in those roles. So many of Paul's movies are on my all-time favorites list. Not only was he a fabulous actor but a wonderful cook, developing all the recipes in the Newman's Own line--my personal favorite is his honey mustard salad dressing--and a great humanitarian, donating all the proceeds to charity.

I am deeply saddened by Paul's death. The world of entertainment has suffered a huge loss.

tbs fanatic
09-27-2008, 08:33 PM
Oh man, that was really sad news. I was crazy about that guy in my youth. So handsome and such a great actor. Cat On a Hot Tin Roof was absolutely one of my favorites of his.

Ive always been a dreamer
09-27-2008, 10:10 PM
I agree with what everyone has said. I was also in love with Butch and Sundance. We have lost a great actor, humanitarian, business man, and family man. My thoughts go out to his family.

We have lost a great man. May he RIP.

Glennsallnighter
09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
I too was very sorry to hear that Paul had died, although I had heard he was ill. Some people may not be aware that while the world of entertainment has lost a champion, so too has another worls. Paul set up children's holiday centre in Barretstown Co Wicklow dedicated to children who are seriously ill. They can go on a holiday here and canforget about being ill and just be normal kids again (while the support they need is available). The theme of Barretstown House is 'Seriously fun''

To all his family, friends and colleagues, I extend my sympathy.

ticky
09-28-2008, 05:10 PM
He had one here too GAN, called Hole In The Wall Gang Camp in Ashford Connecticut. It was for seriously to terminally ill children. It was free to any child with a serious disease. He was a very generous and benevolent man.

TimothyBFan
09-29-2008, 08:50 AM
What a legend he is!! My favorite movie of his was Cool Hand Luke. Not only a great actor but a great human!! I hope his great work will continue with his company.

Glennsallnighter
10-08-2008, 06:10 AM
He had one here too GAN, called Hole In The Wall Gang Camp in Ashford Connecticut. It was for seriously to terminally ill children. It was free to any child with a serious disease. He was a very generous and benevolent man.

That sounds similar to our one Ticky. Barretstown is free also to seriously ill kids, although obviously there are various fundraisers in the wider community to help defray expenses. And I would imagine that any parent who could would also help.

But it is lovely to see how so many of our idols from the world of entertainment have such a human side to them as well and help out so willingly (both in terms of funds and time) with these programmes.

tbs fanatic
10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
Rented 'Cat On A Hot Tin Roof' last weekend. Still as great as I remember it.