PDA

View Full Version : Hershey,PA

eaglesvet
10-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Hi all! I am the proud owner of a 7th row Glenn-:heart:-side seat (TM made me an offer I couldn't refuse...see my earlier post in "New Kid in Town")!:thumbsup:
FYI, I happened to check back about 2 1/2 hrs after ticket sales began, and they still are only at row 10 for single seats and row 25 for pairs. I thought that a little slow for ticket sales "around these parts;" then I realized the locale is not really East Coast, but more like small-town PA/boondocks..."Chocolate Town, USA!"

Please keep your eyes and ears open for anyone you know in the MA/CT area on Thanksgiving Eve who might want a 10th row floor seat for the Worcester show that I would like to sell--thanks!

TimothyBFan
10-06-2008, 12:37 PM
As I said in the other post---have a great time and come back with great pictures and a review to share!!!
:thumbsup:

eaglesvet
10-06-2008, 12:38 PM
Will do!

Mrs Henley
10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Have fun :D

ticky
10-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Wow.. Glenn, Don, Tim and Joey and CHOCOLATE!! *G* what more could a girl want??? *G*

TimothyBFan
10-06-2008, 02:05 PM
Ticky---:hilarious::hilarious:

eaglesvet
10-06-2008, 02:37 PM
Hey, I'm wondering if the "power of The Border" can slowly exert some influence over our favorite band. Over the years, I have seen my other favorite band, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Streeters (go figure, being from Jersey) numerous times, the last being at the beginning of the Magic tour (2007). Unlike the Eagles, Bruce never does the exact same set list twice--he'll do the crowd favorites, but then mix it up a bit each show. As Forrest Gump says, it's like a box of chocolates--you never knew what you were going to get.

Then something new happened: In spring/summer 2008, fans began bringing signs with a song request on them...first just a few signs popped up, then by the end of the tour, apparently hundreds. Bruce would somehow (I'm not sure how) get the signs that caught his attention up on stage, and the band members would oblige as many as they could. So, shows were literally featuring gems that hadn't been played live in 20 or 30 years--the band was nailing them, and the fans were knocked out of their seats!:applause:

I'm not suggesting that the Eagles would even attempt something of this magnitude. From what I've read, I think they are more structured in their shows. But whose to say that since they are (I think) nearing the end of the US leg of the tour before they go overseas in 2009 (?), that they
wouldn't oblige just one surprise song per show...say "Ol' 55" or another that they just haven't done in concert in forever:?:

So, here's my thought: how about "The Border" members that are about to embark on the November wave of concerts each bring along a sign with a song request on it. Let's see if they get the hint, and maybe just possibly if we are very lucky they may take it easy and play a new song in that concert!:band: I'm game!!

Mrs Henley
10-06-2008, 02:50 PM
Wow.. Glenn, Don, Tim and Joey and CHOCOLATE!! *G* what more could a girl want??? *G*

Ticky!!! :rofl::fainting:

ticky
10-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Hey, I'm wondering if the "power of The Border" can slowly exert some influence over our favorite band. Over the years, I have seen my other favorite band, Bruce Springsteen and the E-Streeters (go figure, being from Jersey) numerous times, the last being at the beginning of the Magic tour (2007). Unlike the Eagles, Bruce never does the exact same set list twice--he'll do the crowd favorites, but then mix it up a bit each show. As Forrest Gump says, it's like a box of chocolates--you never knew what you were going to get.

Then something new happened: In spring/summer 2008, fans began bringing signs with a song request on them...first just a few signs popped up, then by the end of the tour, apparently hundreds. Bruce would somehow (I'm not sure how) get the signs that caught his attention up on stage, and the band members would oblige as many as they could. So, shows were literally featuring gems that hadn't been played live in 20 or 30 years--the band was nailing them, and the fans were knocked out of their seats!:applause:

I'm not suggesting that the Eagles would even attempt something of this magnitude. From what I've read, I think they are more structured in their shows. But whose to say that since they are (I think) nearing the end of the US leg of the tour before they go overseas in 2009 (?), that they
wouldn't oblige just one surprise song per show...say "Ol' 55" or another that they just haven't done in concert in forever:?:

So, here's my thought: how about "The Border" members that are about to embark on the November wave of concerts each bring along a sign with a song request on it. Let's see if they get the hint, and maybe just possibly if we are very lucky they may take it easy and play a new song in that concert!:band: I'm game!!

EV~ It's worth a try but Im pretty sure they're so structured and at least Don is such a perfectionist that they probably wont stray from the set list unless previously agreed upon. I am also pretty sure Joe wont do The Bomber *G* altho I really like the suggestion. He said in a recent interview that The Bomber used to be a very off color nickname for him. A sign with that written on it might not only be ignored by the guys, but Smokey might be paying you a visit! (YIKES!) But you might try something they havent done in a while! Good Luck! and let us know what happens!

tbs fanatic
10-06-2008, 04:16 PM
That is a cool idea EV. How cool that Bruce Springsteen would do that. My brother is a rabid Bruce fan.

eaglesvet
10-06-2008, 05:05 PM
EV~ It's worth a try but Im pretty sure they're so structured and at least Don is such a perfectionist that they probably wont stray from the set list unless previously agreed upon. I am also pretty sure Joe wont do The Bomber *G* altho I really like the suggestion. He said in a recent interview that The Bomber used to be a very off color nickname for him. A sign with that written on it might not only be ignored by the guys, but Smokey might be paying you a visit! (YIKES!) But you might try something they havent done in a while! Good Luck! and let us know what happens!

The structured-ness is what might put the "kibosh" on this. That's why I think it'll take a bunch of witchy women at a bunch of different shows to weave a spell on them. I don't know, maybe they'll learn to be free,:rockon: and just do it!

Glennsallnighter
10-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Its a nice idea for sure and a daring one, but I couldn't really see them doing it. IMHO they seem to prefer using a tight and well rehearsed routine. The other thing is that I imagine it would be harder for a 4 membered band to be spontaneous compared to a single performer.

Still, worth a try!! Good luck to anyone going!!

eaglesvet
10-06-2008, 11:06 PM
Its a nice idea for sure and a daring one, but I couldn't really see them doing it. IMHO they seem to prefer using a tight and well rehearsed routine. The other thing is that I imagine it would be harder for a 4 membered band to be spontaneous compared to a single performer.

Still, worth a try!! Good luck to anyone going!!

Actually, Bruce's E-Street Band consists of 8 additional musicians, most of whom have been with him since the early 70's (with a temporary hiatus some years back.) They have always played the crowds with somewhat differing setlists nightly; but the last half of the Magic tour was when the sign request thing started and then took off.

DonFan
10-07-2008, 07:49 AM

Sounds like heaven to me! :angel:

TimothyBFan
10-07-2008, 07:54 AM

Are they eating it or covered in it? Just wondering!:???:

ticky
10-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Well.. you know ME! I was kind of figuring THEY were covered in it and *I* was eating it... *G* but then maybe *IM* covered in it too!! ..hmm.. OH what the heck... CHOCOLATE ON EVERYBODY!! (I think we need to combine this with the whole everybody on the bed thing in the other thread.. )

sodascouts
10-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow, what a great ticket EV! I know you'll have a great time. Hopefully you can unload the other one to have more money for memorabilia. ;)

Regarding the sign idea - an issue that might come up is their very choreographed visuals and lighting. If they did do some kind of extra song, it would probably have to be tacked on to the end or something, perhaps lit like the band intros where you can see the whole stage. I'm not sure they'd be gung-ho about going to the extra trouble.

Also, they might be worried that they'd embarrass themselves by not hitting the right notes vocally. We fans wouldn't care, but I have a feeling they care a LOT about looking as perfect as possible. I've read that "back in the day," when Randy didn't want to do Take It To The Limit because he was afraid that he wouldn't be able to hit all the notes, Glenn told him, "Fans don't care if you miss some notes. They just want to hear the song. Now go out there and sing it!"

I don't think that's their attitude anymore... and it's understandable. They get a lot of criticism from people who are always trying to claim they've vocally not as strong as they used to be. If you miss notes, your self-esteem takes a hit, and you start wondering if maybe the critics are right. I think that's why New Kid in Town and You Belong to the City were dropped despite the fact that both were big hits and YBTTC was the only Glenn solo song they did; I think Glenn was worried that he wouldn't be able to consistently sing the songs perfectly in their original key. Now, I wish they'd do the Take It to the Limit trick and lower the key so we could get YBTTC back but I guess they have their reasons for not doing it.

If you do decide to go the sign-route, I'd say pick a moment when they're looking your way and hold it up once. If you do it a lot, you might annoy them and the people behind you. JMHO.

Sorry to be such a downer!

Brooke
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
I did take a couple signs to the St. Louis show and was careful about not holding them up too long. I got a smile from someone each time.

I don't know if the song request sign would work, but ya never know! It certainly can't hurt if you are respectful of people behind you.

eaglesvet
10-07-2008, 08:30 PM
What did your signs say?

Brooke
10-07-2008, 09:58 PM
It's all right here evet. Scroll to the second post.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1043&page=3

The other one said "OH YEAH!"

Glennsallnighter
10-08-2008, 06:50 AM
I don't think you are being a 'Downer' Soda, just a realist. I tend to agree. Given the boys reputation for their tight harmonies and the way the they tend to stick to a well known rigid routine, they might not be comfortable improvising. Also where would it stop. One song, 2 songs......could some people in the audiance get annoyed if THEIR song wasn't the one chosen?

I agree too that there are too many people out there DYING to say that they are not as good or as strong vocally etc as they were. While WE know that such statements are utter C**P and the Eagles know that they have a very strong fanbase, I guess they do not want to invite criticism either! JMO!

Freypower
10-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Perhaps not, but I don't see how it could hurt them to have other songs rehearsed that they could just slot in just for a change of mood. Most other acts do this. I don't see why the Eagles can't. For instance there are other tracks from LROOE that are apparently never going to be played live, and I think that is a huge shame.

Prettymaid
10-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Perhaps not, but I don't see how it could hurt them to have other songs rehearsed that they could just slot in just for a change of mood. Most other acts do this. I don't see why the Eagles can't. For instance there are other tracks from LROOE that are apparently never going to be played live, and I think that is a huge shame.

Aw, cmon FP, think positive. There's always the next tour!

eaglesvet
10-08-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't think you are being a 'Downer' Soda, just a realist. I tend to agree. Given the boys reputation for their tight harmonies and the way the they tend to stick to a well known rigid routine, they might not be comfortable improvising. Also where would it stop. One song, 2 songs......could some people in the audiance get annoyed if THEIR song wasn't the one chosen?

I agree too that there are too many people out there DYING to say that they are not as good or as strong vocally etc as they were. While WE know that such statements are utter C**P and the Eagles know that they have a very strong fanbase, I guess they do not want to invite criticism either! JMO!

I think that for the aforementioned reasons, the most they would consider playing might be one song. I can't see an Eagles fan getting annoyed at hearing any extra song on top of the standard set list...what a treat!! I wouldn't care if it were Jingle Bells!:grooving:

Freypower
10-08-2008, 08:03 PM
The point is, as others have said, that it isn't going to happen. The setlist (which Glenn compiles, by the way) is as rigid as stone.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
The point is, as others have said, that it isn't going to happen. The setlist (which Glenn compiles, by the way) is as rigid as stone.

Well - quite honestly I doubt that it would probably ever happen, either. However, I never say never. If nothing else, the guys can also be very unpredictable. Who's to say that as they come nearer and nearer to the end of the band's touring days that they won't pull a few surprises. I definitely don't agree that the setlist is as rigid as stone.

eaglesvet
10-08-2008, 08:24 PM
...sigh...a girl can only dream...

Freypower
10-08-2008, 08:29 PM
It isn't rigid in the sense that songs from the new album have been added and they have apparently swapped OOTN and WW. It is rigid in the sense that it will now never be changed until the band breaks up. I don't wish to sound cynical but until I see any hint of a surprise, what else can I do.

10-08-2008, 08:48 PM
It is rigid in the sense that it will now never be changed until the band breaks up.

Sorry, but I don't agree with this at all. While I don't expect a major overhaul, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some minor changes made.

Freypower
10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Some songs have been dropped to accommodate the new songs. Which songs do you think could be added?

eaglesvet
10-08-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm drawing a blank on OOTN and WW.

DonFan
10-08-2008, 09:23 PM
One of These Nights and Witchy Woman.

10-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I have no idea what changes may be made, but I do think it is normal for them to occasionally 'tweak' the setlist. The one minor change that I can think of off the top of my head is that they replaced Wasted Time with Witchy Woman starting with the California leg of the F1 tour. If my memory serves me correctly, I also think they changed the order of a few songs at that time.

A few examples similar to this could be to replace a song or two that they are currently doing, and bring back Already Gone or Tequila Sunrise or perhaps they may replace Silent Spring with I Dreamed There Was No War.

Brooke
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I for one, love the idea of them adding a surprise song or two for each concert, but I don't see it happening. How I wish it would. It would add some drama and surprise to their concerts. Why do they have to be so predictable? My goodness, they have played some of these songs to death. They've said so themselves. They say they are sick of some of them. What would it hurt for them to throw in an oddball song here and there. What fun!

Now, I wouldn't want to see anything left out either. But more than likely if they do a new song, they are going to cut something else. But, it would be worth it to see something spontaneous. They say they are not a nostalgia band and that they are a well oiled machine. Well, hmmmmm. That's almost a contradiction. :shrug:

I say, go for it guys. We would absolutely love it! And you guys are too good to not be able to play something spontaneously! :nod: