PDA

View Full Version : Gearhead

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

MikeA
05-25-2010, 08:07 PM
He's hanging out on the Blues Strings there.

Prettymaid
05-27-2010, 02:42 PM
That's some good fartin'!

MikeA
06-03-2010, 08:59 PM
YO BB.....talk to me about Teles!

What are your thoughts about the Highway 1 line?

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Highway-One-Series-Telecaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=512871

Obviously I need to get to the git store and get my hands on a couple of them, but that's the one that I think I'd be going for. I sort of like the sunburst finish. Haven't had a sunburst in a LONG time.

But what are they talking about with the Alnico 3 pups and Greasebucket electronics? Is the neck arched or flat on a Tele? I kind of like the maple neck rather than rosewood....don't show wear as much I would think.

bernie's bender
06-03-2010, 10:19 PM
the real steal on teles is the squier classic vintage tele...

it is pine (like the first teles) and plays great... and reasonably priced.

the next best choice is the 52 reissue tele (go butterscotch man! it is the classic!)

another great choice is the 'thinskins' that they carry at Dave's guitar in Wisconsin or Wildwood in Colorado... great great great teles!

My favorite 'value' teles are the Made in Japan (you buy them on the web from ishibashi) really well made teles in configs that Fender America doesn't do...

I played a MIJ thinline until about 2 years ago when I started playing my own homemade teles...

okay, answering questions... the hwy 1's are good guitars... check ebay the come up pretty often....

alnico 3 is just the magnet they use on the single coils... they are good standard tele pickups... you'll get good tele sounds out of them...

the greasebucket thing is marketing silliness.

the fretboards are 9" radius.. so, not flat, but you won't fret out on big bends either. (the original teles were 71/4", completely flat is 12")

most tele players will agree with this: maple plays faster than rosewood.

maple is brighter than maple (tone wise) I have found both to be true.

MikeA
06-04-2010, 08:21 AM
That last post of yours is not the first of yours that I've saved...I doubt seriously that it will be the last.

Pups on any guitar I'm oogling online are a bit confusing to me. I know that each has its own personality but not having a constant exposure to them (my goodness....look at all the varieties of humbuckers!) I wouldn't know without going to a shop and plugging one in what I was getting. Might be the exact tone someone else was looking for, but might not be what I have running through my head!

The good thing is that for a relatively cheap price, you can switch out pickups but if you do that often, you would end up with a drawer full of electronics that you aren't using and would have spent more on them than the guitar originally cost!

bernie's bender
06-04-2010, 11:08 AM
my favorite telecaster pickups (I have several that I like) in order of preference (and don't think that the lower ones aren't great, they are.. it is just that there are SO many great ones.)

Most favorite to favorite (all really great)

Fred Stuart Blackguard
Red Rhodes Velvet Hammer
Don Mare Hayrides
Fender NoCaster
Fender Texas Specials

(there are several more that I haven't tried so I can't say, but guys I know love them....)

For humbuckers on a tele...

the original wide range humbucker is awesome
the fallback (for me) would be from a guy called Telenator on the tdpri

Lots of room for fun with pickups... then you can always get into wiring schemes.. there is a guy you can google called deaf eddie who has every possibilty. I use a a 4 way wiring scheme on mine.

I DO have a drawer full of pickups! they never last long though, I either build a guitar around them or sell them... you can flip pickups pretty easily.

MikeA
06-04-2010, 11:24 AM
I'm pretty anxious to get out to Guitar Center and plug in a Tele or two. I can go into either a Fender Acoustasonic Jr amp or into my VOX AD30VT. The problem in Guitar Center though is that it is a Magnet for Shredders who plug into 5,000,000 watt Marshal or Orange heads and 4/12 cabs with everything twisted to 11! You can't hear yourself think, let along hear what the guitar/amp combination really sounds like.

I will have to use discipline in visiting GC though. Once I enter that door and pick up a guitar, it is usually only a matter of hours before commit to buying one! (One being "whatever it is I went there to look at!)

bernie's bender
06-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Ahhh, guitar center! go when they first open. most of the shredder kids are still painting their nails.

also, your credit card is your friend. they have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy (as does musicians friend)

just realize that most guitars bought from places like GC need a proper setup before they play optimally.

MikeA
06-04-2010, 02:04 PM
Ahhh, guitar center! go when they first open. most of the shredder kids are still painting their nails.

also, your credit card is your friend. they have a 30 day, no questions asked return policy (as does musicians friend)

just realize that most guitars bought from places like GC need a proper setup before they play optimally.

I know a guy...initials BB who probably knows how to set up a guitar! Actually, I've done just about everything including intonation, carving out the nut notches and dressing the frets.

Have you had any trouble with the tunning machines on the lower end Teles?

TimothyBFan
06-04-2010, 02:38 PM

:rofl:

MikeA
06-04-2010, 03:58 PM

I caught that one too Willie....but if my fingernails are BLACK it's because I've got dirt or grease under them!

bernie's bender
06-04-2010, 09:12 PM
I know a guy...initials BB who probably knows how to set up a guitar! Actually, I've done just about everything including intonation, carving out the nut notches and dressing the frets.

Have you had any trouble with the tunning machines on the lower end Teles?

nope. if the nut and bridge is good, even the cheapest fenders/squiers have been fine for me....

replacing tuners is pretty easy too!

Sweet! I'm not on TimothyBFan's ignore list! Man, I saw that thread and I was so ashamed! I thought, "man, I am unintentionally making people miserable, from now on, I'll answer Mike in Gearhead or if I'm asked a question and nothing more....

I remember when my larger social group would outcast someone and how awful I felt... I was never involved in it... but, I could tell when someone was 'shunned'...

oh well. not everybody is gonna like everybody.

MikeA
06-04-2010, 09:30 PM
I was taking a look at eBay's offerings and saw a Standard for $389 and free shipping. I think it was stated as being a 1992 model. If I understand it, the Standards are made in Mexico unless they are "American" Standards.

I have a so-called "USA" Prodigy that I call a Frakenstrat. It was the model that Fender made in 92 and 93 to try and take something away from the Kramer and Jackson Shredder market. It failed. I'm not very enthrawled by it. Flat neck, 1 11/16" nut. The electronics need to be either repaired or replaced. It has Sensor Singles in the middle and neck and a humbucker that is coil tapped in the bridge. It has the large Strat headstock and a Floyd Rose tremlo. Too much going on and that pickup in the middle bothers me. I locked the tremlo and loaded it with 13s and used it as a slide git for a while. The body and neck are in pretty good shape but I doubt that I'll ever use it much. It just doesn't "fit me".

ticky
06-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Sweet! I'm not on TimothyBFan's ignore list! Man, I saw that thread and I was so ashamed! I thought, "man, I am unintentionally making people miserable, from now on, I'll answer Mike in Gearhead or if I'm asked a question and nothing more....

I remember when my larger social group would outcast someone and how awful I felt... I was never involved in it... but, I could tell when someone was 'shunned'...

oh well. not everybody is gonna like everybody.

BB, Im always interested in what you have to say *G* Please dont limit yourself to Gearheads. Different perspectives are always welcome, just try and put up with all us freckle counters. *G*

bernie's bender
06-05-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm of a mind that everybody needs a tele. it is a true and clean sound and they make you be better... they show every flaw and you have to play them they don't play themselves (like les pauls)

There are lots of snobs about MIM teles... I grew up in Anaheim and I can tell you... buying a USA made tele constructed by craftsmen of mexican descent or buying a MIM tele constructed by craftsmen of mexican descent... there are only a few differences...

For my money, the very best values are the MIJ teles from ISHIBASHI (http://www.excite-webtl.jp/world/english/web/?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.excite-webtl.jp%2Fworld%2Fenglish%2Fweb%2Fbody%2F%3Fwb_ur l%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.ishibashi-webshop.jp%252Fshop%252Fc%252Fc10%252F%26wb_lp%3DJ AEN%26wb_dis%3D2&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2&wb_submit=+%96%7C+%96%F3+)

MikeA
06-05-2010, 07:32 AM
I checked out the prices on the Japanese site. They seem to have the same prices that are $40 more than the prices currently carried in Musician's Friend or maybe Guitar Center or Sweetwater. Their "Standards" are 49,560 yen which converts to $540.28 USD as of 6/05/2010. Those same "Standard" guitars are $499 at the online retailers.

What I gather from you is that they are the same as the MiM Standard versions but better quality in workmanship? At +$40, that isn't much to pay for an upgrade. Do you know if shipping is included in the price? Do you know how long it takes to deliver once ordered?

I did see the '62 series...beautiful....body is bound!

As for MiM vs USA vs MiJ....I have little prejudice. I had always understood that with Fender instruments, the main difference was in finish. Maybe a little more attention to "fit" between the neck and the body in the USA models. But that was several years ago and at that time there were quite a few Korean models available. But always, in rank of quality, it was USA then Japan and then Mexico. And that ranking was apparent in the price and had its largest impact on resale value. I have never sold a guitar in my life and seriously doubt that I'll start now so resale isn't a factor.

The origin of the Fender guitars is similar to the difference between equal models of the Gibson line and the Epiphone line. I have an Epiphone Sheraton II and cannot imagine any real difference between it and a Gibson ES-335 other than a couple of thousand in price! I've played a Gibson and while the NAME made me appreciate it, I had no real desire to trade my Sheraton in on it.

Oh, and I want to get me one of them Les Pauls that play themselves! I could use one <LOL> Mine must be defective. I understand your sentiment though.

bernie's bender
06-05-2010, 02:57 PM
Mike,

my experience is just that... the japanese made teles: 1) just more attention to detail 2) they have different configs than either mim or mia teles... many of which I like.

I have '69 thinline MIJ (reissue from the 90's) and it is a great guitar...

the usual 'knock' on the japanese teles is the electronics. most guys will readily agree that they are the quality equivalent of the hot rod or 52ri with the exception of the electronics. For me, no problema as I was gonna put different pickups in it anyway. I have texas specials, better pots, cloth wiring, an orange drop... so, I didn't care...

I find good teles on craigslist all the time...

if budget is an issue... really, really, consider the squier classic vintage...

they are AWESOME guitars as they ship regardless of price... but they can also be modded like crazy....

MikeA
06-07-2010, 01:27 PM
Check this one out

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290442752556&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_835wt_918

It sure looks clean and the price in BIN is pretty good considering that a new one from MF is $499. And I kindof like that tobacco-burst finish with the maple neck.

There are several up for sale that have humbuckers, but I'd think that would give out a tone much like an LP....not a tone I'd expect to achieve with a Tele.

bernie's bender
06-07-2010, 01:53 PM
That looks pretty good.

The humbucker does give the les paul thing...

which reminds me of my childhood (cue music and and ripply waves of video implying a memory that is probably totally made up)

I recall having a friend who was a Led Zepplin fanatic.... so, he had to have a les paul and a marshall to 'get those sounds'....

until we found out that most of the time Jimmy was playing a telecaster in the studio... the great les paul sound on the Stairway to heaven solo... a tele through a supro amp.

Everybody loves what they love... for me, the key to the tele is a 3 saddle bridge... my only gripe with the MIM is the modern bridge... but, you can always switch that out if you don't like it...

MikeA
06-07-2010, 02:27 PM
There is a lot of variety in bridges with the Tele. I've seen a couple that have those Bigsby tremlos. I'm not going to be buying "today" nor probably "tomorrow". But sometime in the relatively near future I'd like to get my hands on one (a Tele).

But I do think I want one with the traditional dual single coil configurations. I have plenty of time to resarch it. That in itself is all part of the "obtaining" process. I remember clearly how much I wanted a Gibson ES-335 and how I had the gear-snob attitude about them. But after really finding out about the construction of the Epiphone Sheraton II's and the satisfied owners, I started looking for them in pawn shops and on-line. I found that if you really wanted that Gibson sound out of one of the Epis, all you need do was switch out the humbuckers for Gibson originals. I liked the feel of the Epi so much that the little difference in sound just never meant enough to me to cause me to switch the original Epi pups out. It's always an option though.

But I can't imagine getting the equilivent tone out of humbuckers that the single coils on the Tele produce. I wonder what pickups Page used on his Tele were? Did he have a humbucker on the bridge? Otherwise, I'd doubt that stage performances with the LP would sound the same as the recording.

bernie's bender
06-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Page's tele was a 50's era all original tele. no humbucker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v16CxX_2qec

here he is playing ten years gone with a bender...

he got interested in the bender after seeing clarence and bernie breaking them out...

lots of country rock in zeps music....

MikeA
06-07-2010, 02:50 PM
What makes that "country?" <LOL>. Love the song and had no idea that he was using a B-Bender on it.....heck, until a month or so ago, I didn't even know what a "Bender" was!

He does make good use of it on that tune! Great accent. And yes, I do love that Tele sound. Very different when compared to the twin humbuckers on an LP.

Definitely a place for both guitars in a arsenal. I think one would most definitely fill in a vacant spot in my collection.

bernie's bender
06-07-2010, 03:08 PM
That is funny... I have several friends who in the course of conversation I'll talk about how much country music is in the Beatles, Led Zep, the Who, and the Stones and they almost get MAD!

They HATE country music and think those guys are the TRUE rockers...

The country influences in those bands is really apparent... I don't want to mess you up though... in other words, my kids have told me I ruined some music stuff for them because I showed them how it was done and what instruments and they say it takes the magic away...

So, I don't want to do that... LZ always got hammered by critics for being derivative and lacking originality. It made everyone mad and the critics missed some important things... the most important thing is that they could bring an amalgamation of styles into a regular middle class kids bedroom and yeah, they may be taking the simplest forms and boiling it down, but they could communicate it...

I've sat with friends and listened to LZ and we take the track and we can pinpoint exactly which artist they were 'nicking'... the fact that they could do it so well is to their credit. I heard LZ at every dance and party I went to in my youth... I was never particularly moved by their music, but their skill and acumen is undeniable and they are absolutely magic at creating for people that 'magic' spell of sounds that sound so familiar and foreign at the same time....

I think authentic country and blues was too raw and too loaded with politics and class struggle for middle america to embrace... so, the british invasion happened to anglicize and retransmit a message... a little less personal, a little more foreign... safer and more mysterious because it came from people from far away...

MikeA
06-07-2010, 04:18 PM
I loved (and still love) LZ. Don't CARE what was country about them, but was curious as to why it was termed "country". I've heard them classed as Rock, Heavy Rock, Blues Rock and Blues, but your comment was the first I'd heard them described as "Country".

Shoot, anyone who has been serious about Music knows that Rock has it's roots in Country and Blues and also in Gospel.

Now here's a Tele you might be interested in. It's too far off the path for what I'm looking for, but you, who probably has or have had a sample of virtually every type Tele ever made, might find one of these appealing:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Custom-Dolsey-Fender-Style-Telecaster-Neck-Thru-3-P-90s-/320544597833?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item4aa1f26749#ht_500wt_932

Note that it is Neck-Thru and that it has three P90's. I'd bet it would scream.

bernie's bender
06-07-2010, 06:10 PM
oof. I like p90's just fine, but I hate that bridge! and that guitar is probably pretty dark & brittle sounding with the rosewood neck...

different though and different is good!

He's not correct that Fender didn't make neck throughs.. they made them and still do...

one thing I'd caution the bigsby thing... they kinda reduce overall twang and zing on the guitars... none of us know why, but it kind of tames the guitar... maybe the extra mass or something.. cool looking though.

MikeA
06-07-2010, 06:14 PM
Never really liked the tremlos. I have one on my Frankenstrat and hated it so much that I locked it. Floyd Rose. Never used it anyway.

I have my eye on a tobacco burst and another one that is that dark blue. Both Standards MiM. Both dual single coil. Both through the body stop and bolt on maple necks with maple fret boards. Every guitar I own has rosewood fretboards. Every one of them is showing wear between the frets where I bend strings...especially in the open position, the "A" position in the center of the neck and up high around the 12th to 15th frets.

I don't think Maple will show that so badly. I had to file the frets on my Prodigy...there were literally grooves that made every fret look like the nut <LOL>

Freypower
06-07-2010, 07:13 PM
That is funny... I have several friends who in the course of conversation I'll talk about how much country music is in the Beatles, Led Zep, the Who, and the Stones and they almost get MAD!

They HATE country music and think those guys are the TRUE rockers...

The country influences in those bands is really apparent... I don't want to mess you up though... in other words, my kids have told me I ruined some music stuff for them because I showed them how it was done and what instruments and they say it takes the magic away...

So, I don't want to do that... LZ always got hammered by critics for being derivative and lacking originality. It made everyone mad and the critics missed some important things... the most important thing is that they could bring an amalgamation of styles into a regular middle class kids bedroom and yeah, they may be taking the simplest forms and boiling it down, but they could communicate it...

I've sat with friends and listened to LZ and we take the track and we can pinpoint exactly which artist they were 'nicking'... the fact that they could do it so well is to their credit. I heard LZ at every dance and party I went to in my youth... I was never particularly moved by their music, but their skill and acumen is undeniable and they are absolutely magic at creating for people that 'magic' spell of sounds that sound so familiar and foreign at the same time....

I think authentic country and blues was too raw and too loaded with politics and class struggle for middle america to embrace... so, the british invasion happened to anglicize and retransmit a message... a little less personal, a little more foreign... safer and more mysterious because it came from people from far away...

BB, this is a great post. I could not agree more.

I would call the 'country' influences in Led Zeppelin more 'folk' in British terms at least initially, (e.g. Gallows Pole, Ramble On) but if you listen to something like Black Country Woman, that has a real bluegrass feel. Plant as we know loves this music.

I find that idea that the British invasion 'anglicised' country and blues to make it more palatable for the American middle class very interesting indeed.

I don't care who Led Zeppelin 'ripped off' at all. They created a magical fusion of styles, as you said.

MikeA
06-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Brings up an interesting question with "Stairway". Wonder why Page used an LP during live performances rather than the Tele he recorded with. Image? Endorsements?

bernie's bender
06-07-2010, 11:11 PM
nah!

a lot of the time he used the 12/6 gibbie. which allowed him to play the parts more like the record...

The rest of the les paul thing was.. well, a les paul and marshall sounds good... and, less feedback with single coils... The other thing that most guys who record and play live know... thinner and more singular sounds big on tape.. and you can layer it... live, with a band of 3 players and a singer... no multitracks to fill it out... a big, wide humbucker is like a sledgehammer.

Endorsements back then weren't like they are now... I really miss the days when things weren't all figured out.... Things were so much simpler and smaller back then... I miss those days!

MikeA
06-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Considering that I indirectly work for FORD MO CO, I should give serious consideration to this commemorative model Tele.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150453865047&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_570wt_693

On your comment about the sleghammer aspect of Humbuckers, would it not make a lot of sense to incorporate a third pickup on a Telecaster...a humbucker, in either the bridge or in the middle. I think were I to custom build one, I might consider putting a good humbucker in the bridge and then coil tapping it to allow getting that single coil in the bridge when that sound would be desirable.

I've seen some Tele's that have humbuckers on the bridge and some that have two humbuckers which seemed sort of anal to me....if you're going to do that, just get a Les Paul <LOL>

I've also seen the "Nashville" Tele's that have a Strat Tex-Mex single coil in the middle of the two traditional Tele pickups. They have a 5-way switch instead of a 3-way to control that middle Tex-Mex. I'd think that would be one flexible instrument!

Here is an example of the 'Nashville" model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Nashville-Telecaster-CTS-Pots-Guitar-Mill-Setup-/120575964971?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item1c12e3372b#ht_500wt_707

Since I'm heavy with humbuckers, I'm much interested in the single coil gear. My Frakenstrat does have two single coil pickups along with a Semour Duncan Humbucker on the bridge that is coil tapped. But it is a hotrod. It doesn't "sound like" a Tele....at least none that I've listened to on recordings.

MikeA
06-10-2010, 03:25 PM
I did some work on my Frakenstrat (Fender Prodigy) yesterday. I had put Slinkies on it and the tension on the strings was so slight that it wouldn't hold tune. As I tuned the low strings, it would pull the high strings flat. I had to get inside the backplate and tighten the tension on the springs that hold the floating bridge down. It isn't a Floyd Rose though some think that is what it is. It was a bridge that Fender offered on some of their models and have since discontinued. It is a hassle but managable. You will have to adjust these springs any time you change string weights. I have 10's on it now.

I'm thinking about selling this guitar. It must be a 1991 model....first year of the three years they offered them. After the first year, they went to a solid bridge/stop. Aside from aged screws, the guitar is in surprisingly good condition.

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2008_0918_guitars/redguitar009.jpg

The controls are a single tone and volume for all pups. The Tele type selector is 5 position. The first 3 positions control the two single coil pickups with pos 2 being both single coils. Positions for and 5 deal with the humbucker. When in those positions, the three position toggle type switch controls the coil tap on the humbucker. With all those options, you can dial in anylthing from twang to screaming banshees. When I play it I'm usually in either neck or middle single coil, or on the humbucker that I've tapped. If I want full humbucker sound, I usually just pick up my 335 or LP.

bernie's bender
06-10-2010, 04:01 PM
lots of tradeoffs on the pickup thing...

the challenge of 'lots' of pickups on guitars is that they can be tone killers...

If you talk to guys with esquires (one single coil bridge pickup and nothing else)

they will tell you that decreasing the magnetic pull of all the pickups (the other single coil) really adds life to their sound.

Sooo, the reason guys don't add another pickup or a humbucker etc is that they still want the full jangle of less magnetic pull.

There are other design elements (beside humbuckers) that make a les paul different... set neck, usually denser bodies and caps... the bridge assembly is totally different, rosewood necks, the string break from the nut to the headstock and biggest of all, the shorter scale.

Just adding a humbucker gets some of that sound, but a tele is a tele, a strat a strat, a les paul a les paul.

The nashville style tele is a kind of nick from Brent Mason's guitar without the useful electronics... Most of them don't do a good job at any of theirs sounds, but they are okay....

I usually just use one guitar for an entire gig (it ain't about me, don't bore us get to the chorus...watching guys change guitars is like watching girls put on makeup... it is only sexy if you really really really reallly like them.)

That 'superstrat' era was really funny for me... I was a tele guy and for so long I was just not cool... now.. to look at those things... whoa doggies.. get some parachute pants! ha ha...

The shred is coming back, so you should be able to sell it to a shred kid or an older guy living the dream.....

MikeA
06-10-2010, 04:44 PM
There is something to that neck thru on the LP and the heavy lump of wood. Lots of complaints of the weight and wear and tear on a player's shoulder. Tradeoff between sustain/tone/playability.

The recently introduced "Faded" series of Les Pauls...they have been chambered and though they are solid mahogany, they are MUCH lighter than a Standard or Clasic Les Paul. I'm quite sure that has an impact on the tone though I don't have a Clasic to compare to. They also come with the hotter "Burstbucker" pickups. Those I do like.

The difference in tone (not good or bad, just different) between my ES-335 and Les Paul are quite significant. I like the both but for different reasons.

I really haven't found a nitch for my Shredder Fender in the stuff I play. I like fiddling around with it, but it is cluttered underneath the strings with that barage of pickups. I've never gotten used to them.

"SUPERSTRAT"....yes, I've heard that term and the Prodigy definitely was Fenders attempt to compete with Kramer and Jackson and a few others. I'm not sure why it didn't work. Maybe they saw the dwindling demand for that type of music.'

bernie's bender
06-10-2010, 05:22 PM
some of the very best les pauls were very light (many of the 50's lps were old growth and very dry wood and very very light.)

the 70's ideas about mass = sustain have largely been debunked... sustain is probably more about balance...

MikeA
06-10-2010, 09:44 PM
There have been like 3 Tele's that ended on eBay today that I wouldn't have minded having. All sold for under $300 and all were MiM. I think there should be some satisfied buyers on those deals...hope so anyway.

There is a Fender Prodigy that ends tomorrow or the next day. There is a $100 bid on it that hasn't reached the "reserve". I'm afraid that the guy selling it may be expecting more than it is worth. They really don't carry a good resale value. Not sure why. Probably simply because they were rather unknown and not many people had heard of them.

But if you are a Gear-Snob....Prodigy is a good way to have bragging rights about owning a USA Fender <LOL>. Fender caught flack over that USA claim. The neck and body were cut out in the USA but all fitting and sanding and finishing was done in Mexico and all hardware was Mexican. I have no problem with that, but do wish that it was a Mexican Tele instead of a so-called SuperStrat.

bernie's bender
06-10-2010, 11:42 PM
generally, you can make more money 'parting out' a guitar than selling it whole....

That is, sell the neck, body, bridge, whammy (with the nut on those) and electronics separately....

MikeA
06-17-2010, 09:19 AM
Bernie, how do the Korean Teles stack up relative to MiA, MiJ and MiM. I think the Chinese Teles are pretty much the Squier line. But there was one put up for auction from Korea today and I was wondering about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280522276218&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_12064wt_918

I want to take a pill and be able to play like this guy (Joe Bonmassa)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKS4YtmwcMs&feature=player_embedded#!

Playing a Thinline here.

MikeA
06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
Here's one for you BB...a "B Bender"! $.99. If it doesn't go up in price, I might buy it <LOL>

Kind of odd that the fact it is equipped with a B-Bender isn't mentioned!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Telecaster-Sunburst-Electric-Guitar-Case-/140418545560?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Guitar&hash=item20b198f798#ht_6987wt_918

bernie's bender
06-18-2010, 12:04 PM
yep. pretty weird! it has the stock parsons green bender... they are good... not my favorite (heavy as hell) and the actuation is different, but it would be a cool guitar to have.

the other question... I haven't found country of origin to be that big of a determiner for me....

I think the best low end value on teles is the squier classic vintage. they are just really good sounding, good playing guitars...

after that, I'd hunt a used MIJ or a 52RI american made... after that, a thin skin or hot rod or nocaster (the range from 299.00 to 2200.00 goes fast!)

once I got to the 2k guitars... I'd start looking at a Glendale... those are boss!

MikeA
06-22-2010, 03:05 PM
I did see one Tele a guy had for sale that had the knob/switch plate reversed. I can understand why. My Prodigy has a slide switch on it similar to Strats and it is right where my pinky naturally falls. I have to play it for an hour or so before I get to where I'm not inadvertently changing pickups! Same thing with the volume knob...it has a short in it and if my finger or the edge of my hand touches it, it cuts out until I bump it again. Ought to get new pots and switches for it.

This one may be the one BB. $67 but the reserve isn't met yet.

The "Cigarster"

The box used for the body is mostly Mahogany. Solid Mahogany sides with plywood top and bottom. the top layer of wood on the top is Mahogany. I'm not sure what the top layer of the bottom is. But it's nice looking. Where the bridge and neck both attach I added a solid Walnut board that runs the middle of the body from tail to neck joint. The walnut is about an inch thick and 4 inches wide. I also had to add a block of walnut to the bridge area so that there would be wood right under the top for the bridge to screw into. The walnut adds a lot of strength to the body, how it removed a lot of the acoustic properties of the body, so it;s not very load when not amplified. But who care? This is an electric after all. Plug her in. ha. I used a set of Fender "Original Vintage" Telecaster pickups. I believe they use Alnico 3 magnets and enamel wire. The bridge pickup has an output of around 8.2K and the neck pickups output is at around 7.8K. There are only two controls, Volume and a two-way slider switch that swaps the leads for the neck pickup giving the player the option of an out-of-phase sound. Similar to what you would find on a Mustang. The volume pot is 250k, but I forgot what brand pot I used, how I can tell you that it is solid shaft and the knob is held on with a set screw. The bridge is a Wilkenson brand tele bridge with compensated brass saddles. You may notice that the bridge saddle screws are a little short for a tele. That's because I had to use Strat screws to get the bridge to intonate properly. And it does intonate properly. However the close saddles does make it a little harder to load new string, but it's no big deal really, just takes an extra minute or so to swap strings. The neck used was from a Squire Bullet Strat. I used some fine grain sand paper to take down the finish a little on the back of the nec to simulate play wear and (more importantly) to create an easier playing neck. When I bought the neck it had stock Squire tuners, but they were crap, so I replaced them with the set that is on there now. They were pulled from an Ibanez. Though, I forget what model. It's is much more stable now. The guitar has been set up with 9's Ernie ball slinky strings. Now, that case. Aside from the fitting, handle, latches etc.

bernie's bender
06-30-2010, 09:05 PM
that thing is pretty scary....

MikeA
07-03-2010, 07:08 PM
BB....I got my Tele today. Couldn't resist. Went to Guitar Center really just to look and picked over the crop. I took my Prodigy along just in case I got serious and besides, I sortof wanted to know what to expect to get out of it.

I ended up with a Tobacco 3-tone Burst Alder body maple neck Fender (MiM). I hadn't really planned on it. But when I went over there and plugged in, I really liked the feel of it. I liked extreme variety in tone not only from the pickups, but also from where between the neck and bridge you pick it. The neck felt good though the frets are really huge.

I got it home and checked intonation and it was pretty close. The action was a little high, so I lowered that and can go lower without buzzing out. I guess I got lucky: after lowering the action, I rechecked intonation and it was dead on on the 12th fret. I didn't have to mess with the saddle at all. Well, of course, I had to mess with it to lower the action, but I mean I didn't have to change the length of the strings after lowering it.

I got $250 in trade for my Prodigy which is what I was hoping to get from it out on the market. In fact, that is about what I paid for it 10 years ago. I couldn't have bought a used MiM Tele for any less and most of them were considerably more with shipping including...plus, you never really know what you are getting off of those auctions...usually the instruments are okay, but you really never know.

I had been keeping an eye on Craigslist and there were a couple I made inquiries about, but never got a response so I guess they'd already sold.

It all worked out though. I got the finish I really wanted though there was a natural finish on one that I really liked too. I could have gone with that one with no trouble at all. But I'm happy with the one I've got. Just need to play around with the VOX to find the amp models that "fit it". I'll be trying it through the clean Fender Acoustasonic Jr too. Just have to be careful with it. It really isn't designed to handle the hotter pickups.

All in all, love it! There is a considerable difference in feel between the Tele and the Paul but surprisingly, the "feel" is very similar between the Tele and my ES-335 clone (Epiphone). It is not taking as much "getting used to" as I'd thought. What I really like is the way the strings "bend" on the Tele. Effortless! Probably the fact that it has 9's on it but I thought it would require more effort to bend. I'm using 10's on my Paul. I still may have it backwards but it doesn't matter....I just like the way the Tele plays. Should have gotten into one of these a long time ago.

I'm NOT ready to pack the Paul away by any means....but I'm finding that when I reach for a guitar to bang around on, it's the Tele. Couldn't have anything to do with it being the New Kid on the Rack could it?

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2010_0702/jul02017.jpg

MikeA
07-08-2010, 04:22 PM
I'd have sworn that I'd posted this before! Must have forgotten to press (Submit Reply)

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/1/4/544114.jpg

This is pretty much the same guitar that I actually got but there is one subtle difference plus the finish. The body on my Tele is made of Alder wood. This one is of Ash. Probably doesn't make a lot of difference overall. But I did really like that natural finish.

The thing is that Guitar Center has a 30 day return policy. I do not know if it extends to exchanging one guitar for another when there is nothing wrong with the one being returned. Actually, the one that would be returned is actually in better shape than a new one. I've adjusted the neck, lowered the strings and spotted the intonation on all strings. They don't come with that done and for an amateur like me, it took a couple of hours.

I haven't made up my mind yet.

MikeA
07-09-2010, 11:45 AM
Well now I'm in a conundrum. I called GC and they have NO PROBLEM in swapping out guitars with me. I guess I'll just have to go in to the shop with my Burst Tele and sit down and hack away on it and compare it to the sound of the Ash bodied Tele. I wish I'd known that natural Ash was available at the time I made my deal. It is a LONG WAY across Wichita during rush hour traffic!

I'd just hate to not eliminate one or the other models because I just about NEVER turn loose of a guitar after I've obtained it. The exception was the Prodigy. Never did like that guitar. Don't know why I ever bought it!

bernie's bender
07-09-2010, 11:51 AM
I like ash over alder and clear over colors....

just personal preference though....

I love when I'm torn up on a problem like this... it makes facing real life stuff so much more fun!

MikeA
07-09-2010, 02:16 PM
Me Too BB! Unfortunately, when I was looking at the various Teles, I was more interested in finding one with a maple neck opposed to a rosewood neck. I saw the solid colors and liked the Tobacco burst better than the rest.

I think they only MiM makes only one Ash model and that is the natural finish. The USA ones come in Ash natural and Ash with two-tone Tobacco burst and the rest are Alder I think.

No matter, the only one I'd consider if the choices were available (and they are) are the Natural Ash and the Tobacco Burst. I'll have to go listen side by side Ash verses Alder to make my choice. I'll do that tonight Lord Winning and the Creek don't Rise.

bernie's bender
07-09-2010, 06:53 PM
MIJ.

they are the best... or the 52 RI

MikeA
07-09-2010, 09:01 PM
I kept my eyes open for A MiJ but none ever showed up within my budget. I did swap out the Tobacco Burst for the Natural finish Ash body. Still has the maple neck.

I played them side by side through the same amp with the pickup settings maxed to get an even compare. The Ash really does have a different sound! Brighter or something. More "twang". If I want loud distorted, I can plug in my LP or the Sheraton....either one of the humbucker guitars will drive me out of the basement.

But for the blusier sound, I really like the Tone of the Tele. You've made me a convert BB. Thanks...I think <LOL>

There was a little difference in the logo on the headstock on the Ash model. It was a 2008 "new" guitar. The Tobacco Burst was either 2009 or 2010. The difference is that they have the serial number on the front of the 2008 Ash model. It's on the back on the 2009 that I had. The "Made in Mexico" is on the front of the Ash one and on the back of the 2009 model.

No big deal. The older one I ended up with is completely unmarred. Just a little dust in the bridge pan.

bernie's bender
07-09-2010, 10:55 PM
right on! play it for awhile and we'll start modding it.... once you get the tele bug... it gets in your soul....

I've been keeping my gretsch white falcon in the living room of late and I've been playing it more... that is one quirky cool guitar....

I think a 6120 is in your future... and maybe a standel amp....

MikeA
07-10-2010, 08:00 AM
You're out to get me got BB! For one thing, it's not just forking over $4,000 for that amp....there seems to be a waiting list on them stretching from 1.5 to 2 years! <LOL>

And the Gretsch....eye candy! I'll hang onto my Epi Sheraton II for those duties.

Okay, the real reason is that I value my marriage. I read one comment while looking up info on the Standel Amps: "I can see it now....wife divorces husband after 40 years of marriage because of an Amp!" He speaks for me!

I do think part of the difference in sound on the Tele I exchanged for yesterday is the strings. I think this new one has 10's on it. The "G" string feels stiffer than that on the other Tele. To be "safe" I think I'll go ahead and string it with Super Slinkies. Being at least 2 years old and hanging on a wall in Guitar Center, I sort of imagine that the strings are original except for the "e" string which was missing from the guitar when I pulled it down to audition it.

I think it was a good choice though...making the switch I mean. When I showed my wife the slab of wood, she perked up! Usually she could care less about my guitars but this one she really liked. Now if I could get her to stop hollering down to me in the basement "Turn that DAMNED VOLUME DOWN!"

AzEaglesFan
07-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Instead of a new amp, sound proofing the basement might be a good investment. Enjoy your new Tele, Mike.

MikeA
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Just "moody" and found a key that fits:

http://mvabercrombie.net/Bang.mp3

Troubadour
08-10-2010, 08:57 AM
I bought a harmonica a little while ago and I've been practising ever since. I love it! I like that I could play basic songs pretty much straight away - although obviously it's all about the technique. Already I'm progressing and doing things that I found tricky at first.

Does anyone else play? I was actually going to come here to ask if anyone had the tablature for Glenn's Doolin-Dalton intro, but I just found it online! I'll be trying that out today. I'm also practising Neil Young's Helpless - one of my favourite songs. I already have Heart Of Gold down pretty well.

MikeA
08-10-2010, 09:36 AM
10 or 15 years ago, I bought a "C", "D" and "G" set of harmonicas. My wife says that it drive her nuts...sounds like a cat fight when I try playing! So they have gathered dust. I could never get the "bending" down.

Good luck with them! Blues wouldn't be nearly so Blue without Harps!

Troubadour
08-10-2010, 09:48 AM
Thanks, Mike!

Regarding bending, at first I thought "How the HECK do you do that?" (I felt the same way about playing one note at a time when I first started.) But I managed the one hole thing, and I think I'm getting the hang of bending... It's hard to explain what it is or how to do it, but I think it's one of those things that once you get it, it's easy. Sounds a bit silly, I know! I've found moving my jaw helps. At first I was trying to do it all with my tongue.

MikeA
08-10-2010, 10:12 AM
A guy I worked some with in Little Rock, Arkansas turned me on to harps. He had a long commute from home to work and back each day and was frequently stuck in traffic jams. While sitting in his car waiting for the traffic to start moving again, instead of building up road-rage, he'd play his harp.

He really was pretty good at it too. When we'd have guitar jams, he quietly sit back and harmonize with the harp. It added a lot to the tunes.

There are quite a few TABS for harp on the web. Many are really simple renditions of folk songs, but there are some good ones out there for songs that Cream and other 60's bands made popular.

sodascouts
08-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Cool Troub! I'd love to hear you play that Doolin-Dalton intro!

Troubadour
08-11-2010, 08:15 PM
I'd love to hear myself play it, too. :lol:

Once I nail it, I'll work out how to record and upload it so you can hear it. No promises about when that might be, though!

MikeA
08-30-2010, 11:05 AM
Don't know why I thought of it this morning, but I got to wondering if Guitar Center did anything with that Frankenstrat I traded in on my Telecaster (1991 Fender Prodigy).

I was a bit surprised to see it listed in their USED GEAR in Wichita. And I have to give 'em this much, they have it priced about right too! They gave me $250 in trade and are listing it at $299. That is a pretty honest buy. I've certainly got no regrets:

105910137 SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC
USED FENDER PRODIGY USA STRAT W/KAHLER @470 071710
Details »
Guitars
Guitar Center Wichita
Wichita, Kansas 67209
316-946-5858
View Store's Used Inventory
Request More Info
Buy Now
Now Only
$299.99
GUITARS | SOLIDBODY ELECTRIC
Available In: Wichita Telephone: 316-946-5858 Manager: Donald Edwards
USED FENDER PRODIGY USA STRAT W/KAHLER @470 071710
Click here to view all used items at this location
All sales subject to sales tax where applicable. Shipping charges available upon request.
Disclaimer

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Hello everyone!

I'm new here but I thought I would talk about some of my guitars (Mike saw my introduction and told me about this thread!)

I started playing a few years ago and since then my main inspirations have been Joe Walsh (for lead) and Keith Richards (for rhythm). I've collected over several years and spend pretty much every penny I get on guitar gear.

My #1 is a Gibson Les Paul Classic that has been modded to the extremes. Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups, Sprague reproduction caps, and I just ordered new TonePros hardware for it as it is supposed to dramatically improve sustain. This guitar is my "bury it with me" guitar, and it's one I would never part with. I've played many Les Pauls (including a 1968 Les Paul Custom) but it just didn't feel the same to me...

As far as amps go I use a Fender Twin Reverb 65RI onstage mostly, and sometimes a Marshall stack if I'm doing heavier rock or filling in with a harder rock group. The Fender Twin Reverb pretty much nails the sound I'm looking for (which is Joe Walsh's sound and I've seen him use them onstage). I have a pedalboard with some dirt boxes that I use for different things ranging from light blues OD to full on rock distortion. I typically run the Twin in the normal channel and just push it with the OD. I use a BOSS Blues Driver but I just got a Digitech Bad Monkey OD (overdrive) I really like so I'm thinking of keeping the Bad Monkey on the board and sending the Blues Driver to be modded by Analogman, which I prefer over the Keeley mods.

As I had said in my introduction, I have so far collected 30 guitars of various models, brands, and value. My favorites are Gibson Les Pauls and Fender Telecasters but I do have SG's and Strats too that I really like. I seem to lean towards Seymour Duncan PAF style for humbuckers but I do have some Fralin single coil pickups in some Fenders and Fender's own single coils they make. I've thought about trying DiMarzio sometime.

I do play in a band some I created called the "Stone Eagles", unfortunately everyone is busy all the time and while we can't play every weekend, we really enjoy it. I'm hoping that will change because I really love playing live! I'm lead singer/rhythm guitarist but I do play some twin leads with the other guitarist.

I just opened a Photobucket account so I can link everyone there that has my album of all of my guitars and gear! The link is:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/

I do have some guitars not pictured because at the time they were in repair shops or still in cases. Mainly they were acoustics though. I do have a Gibson Les Paul P90 Studio Goldtop on backorder so I have the P90 sound.

Glad to hear there are other gearheads on here! I'm quite obsessed! :hilarious:

MikeA
10-01-2010, 04:02 PM
DAng Austin....browsing through your collection is like a trip to Guitar Center!

I like your tastes. I'm not much into Acoustic right now, but if I ever changed my mind, I'd probably be looking for a good buy in a Dean such as you have. Either that or possibly a Gibson Jumbo.

In electrics, I don't have a lot of ficlkeness in my selections

1. If I want Twang, I pick up my Tele (MIM ash body)
2. If I want Scream, I pick up my LP Studio (faded mahogany)
3. If I want Butter, I sling on my Sheraton II semi hollow body Epiphone.

I've played Strats and Jacksons and Kramers....but have always has a preference to the LPs and more recently, the Teles.

Amp wise....I have only two that I use....a Fender Acoustasonic Jr and a VOX AD30VT. Both are very versatile. With the VOX, I usually have it dialed into an AC30 vibe and just mess with the gain to get the sound I'm after.

Tell me a bit about that 5-string open "G" Tele.

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 04:38 PM
The 5 string Open G Tele is what I use to play certain Stones songs in my band. Keith Richards was pretty famous in the guitar world for developing a style of using 5 strings tuned like a banjo (GDGBD) and using minor 7th shaped chords. Stuff like "Brown Sugar", "Honky Tonk Woman", "Start Me Up", etc are what I use that Tele for. I use it just for Stones stuff.

I wanted a Tele dedicated just for that so I wouldn't have to unstring and restring one of my other Teles whenever I wanted to switch back and forth. It has Fender Tex-Mex pickups in it that I think get that Keith tone very nicely in conjuction with my Twin Reverb.

I use acoustics a lot because we do stuff like "Take it Easy" and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" in my band and do a lot of acoustic covers, but I enjoy electric playing more for sure. :)

I want to get an Acoustasonic too someday. And a Vox AC30 has always been on my want to get list!

MikeA
10-01-2010, 05:14 PM
The Acoustasonic Jr is just about perfect in my opinion for an acoustic player. The one I have has stereo chorus, two input sections (one for instrument and a second one for mic or another guitar) and has the right connections to let you plug into a PA.

Honestly, I use it more when I am recording to take the signal from my mixing board (or analog digital adapter) and play it back...sounds better than the weak speaker system I have on my computer! But hooking it to an acoustic guitar...well, it is special for that! I had been having trouble mixing with the others in a Praise Group I was in at one time. My Seagull acoustic has a passive Piezo under the bridge and it just couldn't compete in the mix with the others that had strapped on active pickups. Sounded horrible. So I got the Acoustasonic, ran my guitar through it and then ran the amp through the PA. No trouble coming through the mix with that setup <LOL>.

As for the AC30....if I ever had need for gigging...that would be the amp I'd go for I think. I really like the tone of that amp. The AD30VT mimics it okay for the kind of stuff I do, but plugging into the real thing is a trip man!

My son had a Mesa Boogie for a while and I played through it, but I hated having to repaint the walls after each session! And really, the tone I got from the AC suited my tastes more than the Boogie did.

I had a Frankenstrat (Fender 1991 Prodigy) that I've talked about in other posts in this thread. It was "okay" and I had it tuned to open "G" using 13's. I was trying to get something going with a slide, but discovered pretty quickly that unless I wanted to spend all my time learning slide (I'm slowwwwww) it was a waste of time. I traded the Fender in on my Tele and never regretted it.

Something about the way the Tele "feels" while playing it. Hate to say it, but the Tele is becoming my go-to git when I just want to kick back and make some noise.

BerniesBender got me jacked up about Tele's. He not only plays the heck out of them, he builds them as well! If he shows up around here I'm sure you and he will have a LOT in common. I'm a hack. You two are Pros!

WalshFan88
10-01-2010, 08:26 PM
Tele's are my 2nd favorite after Les Pauls. I want to get a Tele with a B-Bender in it sometime. I listen to Bernie's work on "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and I then want a B Bender Tele. I love the sound I get from them and the versatility. Strats are great too, but Tele's are "it" for me as Fenders go.

And, I'm sure you are NOT a hack! As long as it is fun and not work, that's all that matters! :)

I want to get an ES-335 sometime, that's on my list of guitars to get as well. I don't have a hollowbody yet.

MikeA
10-01-2010, 10:03 PM
Tele's are my 2nd favorite after Les Pauls. I want to get a Tele with a B-Bender in it sometime. I listen to Bernie's work on "Peaceful Easy Feeling" and I then want a B Bender Tele. I love the sound I get from them and the versatility. Strats are great too, but Tele's are "it" for me as Fenders go.

And, I'm sure you are NOT a hack! As long as it is fun and not work, that's all that matters! :)

I want to get an ES-335 sometime, that's on my list of guitars to get as well. I don't have a hollowbody yet.

The Epi 335-clone was my first electric and my only one for years and years. There is something about the neck on it that defies description. It literally feels so smooth, like butter. It can growl too with those HBs though I'd like to load it up with some Gibson 57s. I don't play it nearly as much as I used to and that's a shame because it has a great tone and is quite a piece of eye-candy. It's the one everyone asks about when they see it in pics.

WalshFan88
10-02-2010, 12:02 AM
The Gibson 57s are great. I have them in an SG. Very warm and smooth. It would be perfect in a hollowbody. I'm usually not a Gibson pickup fan (I dislike the 490 series and BurstBuckers) but the 57s are the exception, they are really nice. Another option is the Seymour Duncan Seth Lover SH-55 pickups which are basically Duncan's take on original 57 PAF's and I've seen people put those in 335-style guitars. The Duncan SH-1 '59 model and Antiquities are a bit hotter and are better suited for LPs, SGs, etc. But I'd say you couldn't go wrong with Gibson 57s or Duncan Seth Lovers.

MikeA
10-02-2010, 09:20 AM
I've looked closely at the electronics in the Sheraton. I need to tighten up the knobs and selector switch. They have been loose for probably 15 years! I'd have done it long ago except I don't know how to get tools inside the body to tighten the knobs. Probably ought to take it to a Luthier and have him replace the Pickups and tighten things up.

WalshFan88
10-02-2010, 02:06 PM
I've looked closely at the electronics in the Sheraton. I need to tighten up the knobs and selector switch. They have been loose for probably 15 years! I'd have done it long ago except I don't know how to get tools inside the body to tighten the knobs. Probably ought to take it to a Luthier and have him replace the Pickups and tighten things up.

Yeah I'd recommend a luthier. I watched a video by Dan Erlewine who is considered one of the best if not the best repair luthier (who has worked for some of the big names like Joe Walsh, etc) and he put pickups in a Sheraton without having to pull the wires through the holes in the guitar and instead just clipped the wires close to the pickups and soldered the new wire to the old wire and wrapped the extra loose wire together and that saves you from having to pull all of the guts out of the F-holes which is a MAJOR chore from what I've heard. Dan has a great book on guitar repair called "Guitar Player's Repair Guide" and also "How to make your Electric Guitar play great" both available on Amazon and I recommend them both. He goes over everything a player can do to his guitar without taking it in and shows how to not hurt the guitar with the truss rod, etc.

I do basic setups my self with action, intonation, and minor truss rod adjustments. I leave major truss rod work and fretwork (refrets and crowns) to my luthier Todd in Springfield, IL at "The Rock Shop" who does an amazing job. They are a Gibson and Fender dealer and I have bought a ton of guitars from them and my dealer there is Mark and they give great deals on new and used gear. I think they will ship stuff too if they have something someone wanted to get but doesn't live near them.

But I put in my own pickups and electronics and string everything myself, and with 30 guitars I go through a considerable amount of strings, especially on my #1 that I play constantly. I use Ernie Ball Super Slinky 9-42 on my electrics and Martin Eric Clapton Light acoustic strings on all of my acoustics except for my Taylor which sounds best with Elixir Nanoweb Mediums. I buy the EB's in boxes of 12 and the Martins but Elixirs are too expensive to buy a box so I just buy them as needed as Elixirs last longer than average acoustic strings.

sodascouts
10-02-2010, 02:29 PM
I wish I could contribute to this conversation but you guys are way over my head! All I can say is I admire your expertise!

MikeA
10-02-2010, 03:14 PM
I am fortunate Austin that the Sheraton doesn't crackle or buzz from the switches and knobs. They are just "loose". Have to be careful not to over turn when maxing them for fear of twisting the wiring loose. There must be some special wrenches bent at 90* angles to get to the anchors through those eff holes.

I can't remember exactly "when" I got the Tele, but I'm sure it is time to restring it. Right now, it has the factory strings and I'm not sure what they are. I know the "G" string isn't form a standard set. Seems heavier than a "G" string is a set of Super Slinkies.

I have my LP strung with 9's (Ernie Ball). The Seagull....I think they are Martin 13's. I like heavier strings on my acoustic. They produce a better tone for me though they can tear up my fingers pretty fast.

There are several of the ladies on the forum here who play. Mostly acoustic, but I know for sure there are two of them plugging in.

WalshFan88
10-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I am fortunate Austin that the Sheraton doesn't crackle or buzz from the switches and knobs. They are just "loose". Have to be careful not to over turn when maxing them for fear of twisting the wiring loose. There must be some special wrenches bent at 90* angles to get to the anchors through those eff holes.

I can't remember exactly "when" I got the Tele, but I'm sure it is time to restring it. Right now, it has the factory strings and I'm not sure what they are. I know the "G" string isn't form a standard set. Seems heavier than a "G" string is a set of Super Slinkies.

I have my LP strung with 9's (Ernie Ball). The Seagull....I think they are Martin 13's. I like heavier strings on my acoustic. They produce a better tone for me though they can tear up my fingers pretty fast.

There are several of the ladies on the forum here who play. Mostly acoustic, but I know for sure there are two of them plugging in.

Yup I remember seeing those wrenches somewhere. A great place to get repair tools and such is Stewart-MacDonald and also Allparts. I bet one of those has those wrenches.

I like heavier acoustic strings too but I like playing lead on acoustic, so I have my Taylor with heavier strings for that sound and the others for lighter strings. I wish they'd make a hybrid set where the low strings (low E, A, D) are a bit thicker than the other 3 (G, B, high E).

MikeA
10-04-2010, 07:53 AM
I wish they'd make a hybrid set where the low strings (low E, A, D) are a bit thicker than the other 3 (G, B, high E).

Guess you could by two sets and mix them. Thank goodness strings aren't all that expensive (unless you are restringing 30 guitars!). I can usually get 2-fers at the local guitar shop but if I'm not in a hurry, I just watch for the specials at Guitar Center or Sweetwater or Musian's Friend. Super Slinkeys are pretty poplular.

WalshFan88
10-04-2010, 01:57 PM
Yeah... I might do that on one acoustic and see how it works.

Right now I'm on a pedal-kick searching for different ones and I'm looking for new overdrive pedals. I'm a OD fanatic, I have different types of varying levels of distortion and I really like to have a variety.

MikeA
10-04-2010, 02:30 PM
You can go destitute buying pedals Austin *G*.

If I can't get it out of the Models on my VOX and can't get it out of my "Gearbox" digital emulations, I probably don't need it. Oh, I really dislike the digital distortions in the Line-6 Gearbox software and usually completely bypass that software other than the pass a "clean" signal into my DAW.

But really, most of the signals I end up with are just mic'd noise out of my amp.

Honestly though, I find that I'm looking for "cleaner sounds" these days than distortion and special effects. I've even considered running my "electric" guitars through my acoustic amp. But it really wasn't designed for that hot pickup setup the Fenders and Gibbys have.

WalshFan88
10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I'm not really into special effects, I'm into pedals that are Analog that my heroes use to get the sounds I want. I'm not big on modeling stuff, I'm an analog BOSS style pedal guy. Basically I look for old analog tubescreamers, etc. Not crazy distortion or fuzz. I'm very analog/vintage with my setup. I'm not a digital fan but that's just me. :) I take the Walsh approach of using analog stuff. There is photos out there of his board and it's got overdrives, delays, compressors, etc. That's what I'm after. Not the crazy distorted stuff, I'm not one of those shredder guys that pile on 10 distortions. But I need a variety of overdrives for my cover band because I insist that we play it like the record and get the tones from those records.

MikeA
10-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I have only two pedals. One a Rocktek "Overdrive" and the other a Arion "Tubulator". I don't think I've had either plugged into the VOX. I did use the Tubulator a few times with a Marshal practice amp I had. It gave it a warm overdriven "bluesy" type sound that I liked.

WalshFan88
10-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah I go for the blues OD but I have heavier ones like a RAT copy for Aerosmith type stuff that needs more gain than say an Eagles or Stones song would. I read about the Tubulator, sounds like a Tubescreamer 808 copy. Can't beat a good Ibanez Tubescreamer. Stevie Ray Vaughan made them popular and got a GREAT tone with them. Stevie is my strat guy. Most people think about Hendrix as the strat master, but SRV is is "the" Strat guy for me.

WalshFan88
10-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Just thought I'd update this thread with some new info. I just put in new pickups in my #1 (Gibson Les Paul Classic) and I couldn't be happier with the sound. HUGE difference in sound. They are called WB Habanero's, and the guy isn't making them anymore (retired) and someone (a third party) bought the rest of his stock and is selling them at lower prices than he sold them (he sold them around 300-350 bucks) and this guy is selling them for about $200 bucks with shipping/tax. Also he is doing a drawing with every purchase to win a set of pickups made with vintage wire which I hope I win.

I can't speak highly enough about his handwound custom humbucker pickups. I like them so much, I bought a 2nd set. He has two sets left of the Habaneros (Hot PAF LP Style pickup) and a few more of the PAF copies without the hotter bridge. They are so great, I think I have finally found the tone I'm looking for. :) The site you can buy them at you can google "BB's Tone Solutions" as I don't know if I should link here but you can find it on google. He's from the St. Louis, MO area. Not trying to sound like a salesman but these are very, very good and I highly recommend them for LP guitars.

MikeA
10-13-2010, 03:14 PM
You can definitely post a link such as that here Austin. Soda (and the rest of us) just don't like SPAM posts and that one would be in complete context with the nature of this thread.

WalshFan88
10-13-2010, 03:21 PM
http://www.bbstonesolutions.com/archives/category/wb-custom-pickups

That's his site. His name is Robert but goes by BB. He is a great guy to deal with. The original winder had some problems getting stuff shipped out on time when he was on a backorder and stuff and a lot of people bashed him but they never bashed his product, but now that BB is doing the shipping of the remainder of the stock, I got mine in a couple days. If you do order something by chance, tell him Austin sent you. :) I told him I was gonna let other people know about them. Not that I'll get anything out of it, but I did tell him I'd spread the word.

I wish I knew how to get a good recording but all I have is my webcam and microphone in my laptop which tends to compress the audio and make it not a true example of what it sounds like in the room.

MikeA
10-13-2010, 04:43 PM
I use several methods to record things and have had success with all of them (as much success as can be expected considering the ultimate source...ME).

First, you need some sort of analog to digital converter. This allows you to completely bypass the inadequacies of a computer's soundcard. There are some soundcards out there that have decent input circuitry but they are VERY expensive. The vast majority of sound cards are fantastic on play-back, but for recording...well, you described the shortcomings of them pretty accurately.

I use a Line6 product called a Tone Direct. I think it is discontinued now, but they still sell the converters probably under the TonePort name or something like that. It comes with a plug-in called "GearBox" that has a lot of digital effects, but normally, I select the option that completely bypasses those effects and feeds the raw signal straight into a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation).

The DAW I use is a freebie called "Audacity". This software allows you to capture the signal and then come back and edit it. Or you can layer passes together to produce a single recording and then export it as an MP3.

Although I could plug my guitar directly into the TonePort interface, I usually plug into my amp and then mic it to the interface. I happen to like the tones that my amp produces and have not been able to get those tones with the digital models in the software.

I think I gave something like $79 or so for my interface. It only allows one signal into the computer at a time. More expensive ones have multiple inputs so that you could come directly into the DAW with multiple lines. If I need that capability, I go through a cheap mixing board (Peavey PV8). The mixing board is not as flexible as it would be if you had each channel going into the interface separately so that you could adjust the levels and add effects AFTER the fact, but it serves my purposes.

I can only do one thing at a time....can't play and sing at the same time very well (unless I am just chording the accompaniment) so, I usually choose a drum track and record it. Then I come back and play the background chords on a separate track while listening to the drum track. Then I come back a third time and add in any solos while listening to the other tracks. Finally, I may come along and add in the vocals.

I end up with maybe 8 or 10 tracks but when saved off, it is "just" an MP3 or WAV of the project. "Audacity" makes this possible.

Oh, Mics....I use MXL mics. Heck, I'm not a professional by any means and the MXL mics I use (a 992 and a 991) cost me around $129 during a closeout deal at Musician's Friend.

The short clip I use in my Sig was recorded using the method described except I recorded it in one "take". I mean, I didn't multi-track it and then merge it....just played it straight through. I used a Tele through my Vox amp on the AC30 model with some reverb. Nothing fancy. I just mic'd the amp with the 991 condenser mic and completely bypassed all effects in the plug-in software.

WalshFan88
10-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I'm gonna be looking at that here very soon (probably around Christmas). I need to get something. I have a Mac and so I gotta find something that is Mac-compatible.

MikeA
10-14-2010, 08:28 AM
Man, I can't help you with a Mac. I've never even touched one.

WalshFan88
10-19-2010, 02:55 AM
Man, I can't help you with a Mac. I've never even touched one.

I think my recording software that came with my Mac (GarageBand) will record things from USB. Just need to find a good interface for it that is USB and will work with GarageBand.

On a side note, I've ordered another set of those WB pickups I was talking about. I think they are absolutely phenominal. It's a shame they sold out of them and the guy isn't making them anymore. This guy who is selling them for him is working with a new guy to make some new pickups that he hopes are better than the WB's. I might be getting some prototypes to try out! :)

MikeA
10-26-2010, 05:12 PM
Here's a ringtone I recorded that might eliminate the need for "vibrate"

http://mvabercrombie.net/Windy.mp3

And here's the one I'm using now:

http://mvabercrombie.net/WildThang.mp3

And my previous ringtone:

http://mvabercrombie.net/BOTB30SecSample.mp3

And one that might have to be cut a little to get to the max size for a phone

http://mvabercrombie.net/TurnToStone.mp3

WalshFan88
10-27-2010, 12:59 AM
Here's a ringtone I recorded that might eliminate the need for "vibrate"

And here's the one I'm using now:

And my previous ringtone:

And one that might have to be cut a little to get to the max size for a phone

VERY cool Mike! My 4-year old laptop just quit working yesterday and so I think I'm going to get one of those new MacBook Air's.

MikeA
10-27-2010, 07:37 AM
The only thing I know about them is that they are THIN *G*. I only know two people who own Macs and they are not very "computer literate". They have a lot of trouble interfacing even with some of the graphic web-sites. But that's probably just "them".

Have you ever studied up on using computers in recording? There is a really good website http://forum.recordingreview.com/ that has some heavyweights entering the discussions. They have a section on Mac vs PC format for recording. Basically, they say there is nothing wrong with a Mac if you have enough money to buy it and then buy the interfaces to use it with "gear". The impression I get is that everything costs more with a Mac. But once you get set up, they are probably more reliable at what they do than is a PC.

But check out that forum. They even have a section called "Bash This Tune" where recording artists upload their latest creations for critique. They don't pull punches. But I've listened to some good "first cuts" on that forum (listened to some pure crap too). I've NEVER uploaded anything <LOL>

Oh, and the owner of the site has just within the past year, released a product called "Killer Home Recording". It's like a 6 or 7 book set and sold only as a set that covers everything from the Computers and Interfaces, the mixing methods, and then goes into specifics needed to get good recordings from guitars, drums, basses and synths and keyboards. It's pretty good and if you read through it BEFORE you get into home recording, you will undoubtedly save some time and money when or if you get into any serious recording.

WalshFan88
10-27-2010, 09:01 AM
The only thing I know about them is that they are THIN *G*. I only know two people who own Macs and they are not very "computer literate". They have a lot of trouble interfacing even with some of the graphic web-sites. But that's probably just "them".

Have you ever studied up on using computers in recording? There is a really good website http://forum.recordingreview.com/ that has some heavyweights entering the discussions. They have a section on Mac vs PC format for recording. Basically, they say there is nothing wrong with a Mac if you have enough money to buy it and then buy the interfaces to use it with "gear". The impression I get is that everything costs more with a Mac. But once you get set up, they are probably more reliable at what they do than is a PC.

But check out that forum. They even have a section called "Bash This Tune" where recording artists upload their latest creations for critique. They don't pull punches. But I've listened to some good "first cuts" on that forum (listened to some pure crap too). I've NEVER uploaded anything <LOL>

Oh, and the owner of the site has just within the past year, released a product called "Killer Home Recording". It's like a 6 or 7 book set and sold only as a set that covers everything from the Computers and Interfaces, the mixing methods, and then goes into specifics needed to get good recordings from guitars, drums, basses and synths and keyboards. It's pretty good and if you read through it BEFORE you get into home recording, you will undoubtedly save some time and money when or if you get into any serious recording.

Yeah I've used Macs since I was a baby (started on an Apple IIGS) and have used them ever since. I have a PC though too, and I repair them part-time for people and have for a long time. I just had a laptop come to me today for virus removal... I love technology and gadgets - I'm 100 pecent geek! :D

I will check into the recording books. I definitely want to learn more about it. Thanks for the info! :)

MikeA
10-27-2010, 04:01 PM
Playin' instead of Workin' <sigh>. I've wanted to work this one out for a while now and came up with this

The intro to Witchy Woman

http://mvabercrombie.net/WitchyWoman.mp3

WalshFan88
10-27-2010, 04:23 PM
Playin' instead of Workin' <sigh>. I've wanted to work this one out for a while now and came up with this

The intro to Witchy Woman

VERY good Mike!!!!

WalshFan88
10-27-2010, 05:40 PM
I think I might buy this guitar. I really like it! :hilarious: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPJJD

MikeA
10-28-2010, 08:08 AM
I think I might buy this guitar. I really like it! :hilarious: http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBLPJJD

Is this "just" an inventory item for your collection, or do you have a specific tone you're going after you think this Jr might capture?

It is a sweet looking Paul. I have the Faded Mahogany finish and have seen the Faded Cherry. Both finishes sort of grow on you. No-Nonsense look.

WalshFan88
10-28-2010, 10:36 AM
Is this "just" an inventory item for your collection, or do you have a specific tone you're going after you think this Jr might capture?

It is a sweet looking Paul. I have the Faded Mahogany finish and have seen the Faded Cherry. Both finishes sort of grow on you. No-Nonsense look.

Well I don't have a P90 guitar, so that would give me the tone of that guitar. I really like the sound of Les Paul Jr's.

MikeA
10-28-2010, 10:53 AM
I can think of NO BETTER reason to get it then! They are a pretty cool looking animal. I don't think Les Paul was very excited with Gibson about the divergence in design. I'm pulling that from memory though.

WalshFan88
10-28-2010, 02:13 PM
I can think of NO BETTER reason to get it then! They are a pretty cool looking animal. I don't think Les Paul was very excited with Gibson about the divergence in design. I'm pulling that from memory though.

Yeah he hated it LOL. He really hated it when they quit making the Les Paul and made the SG.

MikeA
10-29-2010, 09:19 AM
I think maybe if I had the cash and nothing better to do with it than buy a new guitar, I'd HAVE to look at this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/sMK0378/

Look closely at the finish on the body. "Ghost Paisley".

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 10:19 AM
I think maybe if I had the cash and nothing better to do with it than buy a new guitar, I'd HAVE to look at this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/guitargallery/electric/custom/sMK0378/

Look closely at the finish on the body. "Ghost Paisley".

Nice finish! That is a cool guitar - hadn't seen that one before!!! :)

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Well guess what - I just bought a USB guitar interface! :)

It's a Line 6 GX USB interface. It only has one input (for guitar) but I think it will work. Now I just need to learn how to use the GarageBand recording software that I have on my iMac. If I ever get anything decent out of it and get it to sound good, I'll be sure to post it ASAP! :hilarious: Now I just need to figure out my video recording and how to do YouTube videos. :D

tequila girl
10-29-2010, 04:28 PM
OGG I'm afraid most of what you just wrote is double dutch to me.......
but i'll look forward to hearing what you come up with :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 04:33 PM
OGG I'm afraid most of what you just wrote is double dutch to me.......
but i'll look forward to hearing what you come up with :thumbsup:

Hehe it's basically where you plug your guitar into this gadget that plugs into your computer so you can record whatever you are playing on the guitar. :hilarious:

MikeA
10-29-2010, 05:06 PM
Here's another little diddy that if you use your imagination, you might recognize.

http://mvabercrombie.net/TryAndLoveAgain.mp3

In another thread, "King Of Hollywood" is discussed. I really like that part that Glenn opens up with. Have to work on that one some.

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Here's another little diddy that if you use your imagination, you might recognize.

In another thread, "King Of Hollywood" is discussed. I really like that part that Glenn opens up with. Have to work on that one some.

One of my favorite Glenn guitar parts is his part of the solo on "Already Gone". I LOVE playing that solo live with my band, well actually the whole song playing Felder and Frey's riffs and solos. If I get my recording figured out I'll record the solo.

MikeA
10-29-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm sure you won't have any trouble as long as the GX is compatible with MAC.

What are you going to use as a DAW? Or maybe Garage Band is a DAW. I assumed it was the digital effects software for the GX.

My Line6 ToneDirect comes with "Gearbox" which preprocesses the digital signal with the option to insert all sorts of effects...something like 20 different amps, 60 or so pedals and vocal processors. It has a pretty cool way to simulate different microphones and change their placement in front of speakers that you choose from a list.

But as I've said before, I usually just plop a mic in front of my amp and bypass the preprocessing and go directly into Audacity (my freeware DAW).

MikeA
10-29-2010, 05:32 PM
Ahhh, Answered my own question. Your GX utilizes the POD FARM digital effects. You'll probably be like me though and bypass the digital effects in favor of your stompboxes and amps and just mic it. And I understand now that GarageBand is the DAW for MACS. I think at one time it was made available for PC gear, but don't think it is offered for PCs any longer. Could be wrong though.

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Ahhh, Answered my own question. Your GX utilizes the POD FARM digital effects. You'll probably be like me though and bypass the digital effects in favor of your stompboxes and amps and just mic it. And I understand now that GarageBand is the DAW for MACS. I think at one time it was made available for PC gear, but don't think it is offered for PCs any longer. Could be wrong though.

Yeah I will just bypass the digital stuff, I'd rather use my own analog effects and amp. GarageBand is Apple's own music recording program for Macs, as far as it being on PCs, it might have at one point. Apple might have bought the company and made it their own. It's been around for a while.

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 12:06 AM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=alreadygone.mp4

If you click that link, its a video I just recorded of me playing the "Already Gone" solo at different speeds/times. One speed is a faster live version I've seen on video, and two are just there to throw you off! :D I'll do a video someday of all the riffs start to finish and timing exact from the studio recording. I was just inspired by this bootleg video I found.

I'm a bit camera-shy so I didn't speak in the video. I played my Carvin through a small crappy practice Marshall combo as the Fender is too loud for the camera mic.

EaglesFanatic
10-30-2010, 12:20 AM
http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=alreadygone.mp4

If you click that link, its a video I just recorded of me playing the "Already Gone" solo at different speeds/times. One speed is a faster live version I've seen on video, and one is just there to throw you off! :D I'll do a video someday of all the riffs start to finish and timing exact from the studio recording. I was just inspired by this bootleg video I found.

That's great! Do you have tabs for that? I kinda learned the main riff, but I play it (probably incorrectly) on the second and third fret. I'd love to learn the solo for already gone. It seems like a fun one. Right now I'm working on learning Big Love by Fleetwood Mac. Yeah, I'm just a little too ambitious for my skill level... :hilarious: PS: sorry for just randomly joining in on your conversation WF88 and Mike lol.

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 12:26 AM
That's great! Do you have tabs for that? I kinda learned the main riff, but I play it (probably incorrectly) on the second and third fret. I'd love to learn the solo for already gone. It seems like a fun one. Right now I'm working on learning Big Love by Fleetwood Mac. Yeah, I'm just a little too ambitious for my skill level... :hilarious: PS: sorry for just randomly joining in on your conversation WF88 and Mike lol.

No I learned it by ear (and watching videos of the guys playing it), I've never been able to figure out tabs. :hilarious: The version I played in that video was a faster live version from the 70s. The studio version is a bit slower. The other two times I played it were just me goofing off and trying to throw everyone off so they couldn't guess which one is the version that was on the video (hint hint, it was the 2nd time of the intro I played, and the 3rd time of the solo, but don't tell Mike! :D) The solo is very fun to play. My band plays it closer to the time of the studio recording than the faster version I'm talking about. It's one of my favorite songs to play live. I play twin lead with the other guitarist and it's a lot of fun to play everything note-for-note.

sodascouts
10-30-2010, 12:28 AM
That's hot, Austin!

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 12:32 AM
That's hot, Austin!

Thanks! :D It's one of my favorite songs to play of everything I play.

I got the inspiration from watching a Bootleg DVD I got off of eBay. All I know is that is was on the HC tour but I have no clue what city it's from! :hilarious: It's always been my favorite lead guitar part from Glenn. He played that part and Felder played another part at the same time but it's harder to hear on the recording.

MikeA
10-30-2010, 06:32 AM
Sounding good! Looking good! But really Austin, you gotta start workin on gettin the mouth thing working! You got a little of it going toward the end, but I don't think it was hurting enough there for a while. You were making it look too easy.

I think you are supposed to play like you've got stomach cramps and are about to hurl or somthin! I'm pretty sure that's true because I've watched Joe for 40 years now. Maybe it gets worse as you get older, but I don't know.

What amp/effects (Fender Twin R?) were you plugged into? Really did sound good! I haven't tried that song out yet. Oh, like the looks and sound of the Carvin...that was a Carvin wasn't it?

Oh, Tabs.....I can't do much with them either but I grab them mostly to figure out where the heck to start out <LOL>. I can sort of read sheet music (could read it when I was a kid and mommy made me take piano lessons....HATED THAT and wish she had beat me more and made me stick with it now!) But I've never been able to read TAB fast enough to play from it.

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 07:10 AM
Sounding good! Looking good! But really Austin, you gotta start workin on gettin the mouth thing working! You got a little of it going toward the end, but I don't think it was hurting enough there for a while. You were making it look too easy.

I think you are supposed to play like you've got stomach cramps and are about to hurl or somthin! I'm pretty sure that's true because I've watched Joe for 40 years now. Maybe it gets worse as you get older, but I don't know.

What amp/effects (Fender Twin R?) were you plugged into? Really did sound good! I haven't tried that song out yet. Oh, like the looks and sound of the Carvin...that was a Carvin wasn't it?

Oh, Tabs.....I can't do much with them either but I grab them mostly to figure out where the heck to start out <LOL>. I can sort of read sheet music (could read it when I was a kid and mommy made me take piano lessons....HATED THAT and wish she had beat me more and made me stick with it now!) But I've never been able to read TAB fast enough to play from it.

I will definitely work on the "guitar faces"! :D I can definitely make them, I always tend to do so live playing a solo, but probably my nerves from making my first video recording were keeping me from "letting loose". :lol:

That was indeed my Carvin CT6m. Great guitar. It's the smoothest playing guitar I got as far as the ease of bending strings and the shape of the neck. It's also got the coil splitter so you can get a single coil type sound from it, it's very versatile. I also have Carvin's pickups and wiring in a Strat that I love. If I could only have two guitars, I'd keep that CT6 and my sunburst Gibson Les Paul and my Twin Reverb for my amp and my pedalboard.

The amp was actually not the Twin Reverb, it's a beast but it is too loud and would have distorted my camera microphone (I used a cheap digital camera) so I used a Marshall Valvestate 20 watt combo. It's good for doing videos or just practicing at lower volumes. I was just going in to the overdrive side of the amp with a pinch of reverb, a bit of gain, and higher on the treble, that really gets that sound for me. Live I'll use the Twin and a analog overdrive pedal, and that sounds even more exact as the Eagles really didn't use Marshalls on their recordings, it was pretty much all Fenders, either Tweeds or Blackface Fenders from the 50s/60s. The only time I've heard of the Eagles using Marshalls is that Don Felder had a Marshall JTM45 combo on the Hell Freezes Over tour, but to my knowledge all of the studio stuff was Fender.

Thanks for the kind words! Maybe one of these days I'll be able to get over my camera shyness and actually say something! :hilarious: LOL!

MikeA
10-30-2010, 11:07 AM
I wonder....you've gotten the GX which I think is single channel in. No problem really, if you are like doing vocals and guitar, you can either go through a mixing board and send both the guitar and microphone through the mixer and into the POD device and it will convert it and send it through the USB to your MAC.

But when you record that way, you only get one track that is mixed vocals and instrument (one guitar or one mic on the amp to the mixer plus the vocal mic...or drum machine or whatever). If you want to do post processing, you can increase the volumes, decrease them, add reverb, fadein or fade out or any number of plugin effects available to your DAW (Garageband in your case).

However, if you add an effect in with this recording method, that effect will apply to all the inputs equally. They aren't captured as separate tracks.

With a single input convert, to gain the ability of tweaking each input, the only way I know of of accomplishing that is to record each instrument or vocal in separate passes and record them onto separate tracks. Then you can go in and add reverb to the vocals only, then increase the level of the guitar, tone down the drums....whatever.

Now, I wonder if devices like the LINE 6 Studio UX2 would allow you to record vocals and guitar for instance, on separate tracks? If not, then all the multichannel device is good for is eliminating the need for a mixing board. Since I already have a Peavey PV8 mixing board that has phantom power that lets me use condenser mics, I really can't see any need of upgrading to something that has more than one input.

Some of the guys over on Recording Review are well beyond the approach that amateur hobists like me take. They have monster gear that will let them record a whole band on separate tracks...maybe 8 mics on the drums, one or two on guitar amps and basses along with all the vocals all in one pass. But that kind of setup gets into MEGABUCKS in microphones alone! Way out of my league.

But on the digital interfaces, I know that USB 2.0 supports multi-channel audio, but do not know which of the interfaces split them out to the USB port during a session.

MikeA
10-30-2010, 11:15 AM
Oh, I mentioned drum machines. I have two devices. One is a Dr Rhythm by Boss I think, that I got in trade for a vocal processor. It is a digital box about the size of a normal hardback book. You can use preset rhythms and speed the up, slow them down or whatever as well as define the individual instruments (snare sounds, toms, kick...all of them including cymbals) or you can create and save your own rhythm by "tapping" pads with your fingers. It isn't very adaptable to live play though.

The other device is a 7-head digital drum kit that is self contained. Not like a digital trap set that resembles a kit. But the pads are large enough to actually play and they have the feel of playing drums....sort of <LOL> There are two foot pedals on this device that allow you to kick and stomp to get bass and cymbals. Each pad is definable as to the sound you want produced out of it. Plus it has a ton of presets and "songs" which are basically rhythms that you can loop.

I haven't used these very much. I'm not a drummer though I did play snare and toms in a marching band long long ago.

Sometimes, it helps me develop a rhythm with the kit to keep me on track when I'm playing around with the guitar.

MikeA
10-30-2010, 04:23 PM
If I didn't already have one, I'd jump on this one!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shock-Mount?sku=273156&rec=product_A

I have both the 990 on sale here, but also have the 991 pencil condenser from MXL. They sure do a good job for my needs though the pros smirk at them. Don't know why. Maybe they have crystal ears or something.

You do have to be careful with the shock mount....pretty much any shock mount. They are usually held together by those rubberband thingies the ladies use to hold their ponytails in place! But they do give you a spare set of the bands and it does hold the mic in position....although you may need to thread a 10lb weight on the base of your mic stand. Light weight, they are NOT.

I have mine on a boom and usually, have it in front of the amp. I made my own pop filter and it actually works <LOL> Grabbed an old pair of pantyhose (not mine!) and a coat hanger and a clothspin type clip used to charge a motorcycle battery. I clip the pop filter onto the shock mount.

There are some pictures somewhere in this thread from around a year or year and a half ago.

Oh, found the link:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100257&postcount=243

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 06:34 PM
Ok, here's my take on this video: You have to practice more with the constipated grimaces to achieve greatness in the music entertainment industry. It must show tremendous pain, lots of sweat, closed eyes, etc. so that your audience will know that you are really into the music. :hilarious:

:rofl: LOL! I will definitely work on those! Once I get them down a bit more, I'll make another video for you guys to check my progress! :D

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 06:36 PM
If I didn't already have one, I'd jump on this one!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/MXL-990-Condenser-Microphone-with-Shock-Mount?sku=273156&rec=product_A

I have both the 990 on sale here, but also have the 991 pencil condenser from MXL. They sure do a good job for my needs though the pros smirk at them. Don't know why. Maybe they have crystal ears or something.

You do have to be careful with the shock mount....pretty much any shock mount. They are usually held together by those rubberband thingies the ladies use to hold their ponytails in place! But they do give you a spare set of the bands and it does hold the mic in position....although you may need to thread a 10lb weight on the base of your mic stand. Light weight, they are NOT.

I have mine on a boom and usually, have it in front of the amp. I made my own pop filter and it actually works <LOL> Grabbed an old pair of pantyhose (not mine!) and a coat hanger and a clothspin type clip used to charge a motorcycle battery. I clip the pop filter onto the shock mount.

There are some pictures somewhere in this thread from around a year or year and a half ago.

Oh, found the link:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=100257&postcount=243

I will look into that, I like the thought of having one.

I'm going to be buying a PA next year of my own, a Carvin PA but I'm gonna get Shure SM58 for at least the lead singer's mic and I'd like to get a Shure SM57 for micing my Fender, but it's plenty loud un-mic'ed for the gigs we play. We don't play stadiums yet! :hilarious:

MikeA
10-30-2010, 09:45 PM
The Shure mics are good, especially for live performances, but I think you'll like the condenser mics better for recording either vocals or instruments.

The thing about the Shure mics is that they are durable. Heck, you can run 'em over with a tour bus and not harm them. You can't do that with a condenser. They are much more fragile...but perfect for studio work.

MikeA
10-30-2010, 09:47 PM
BTW, I hope you know we're yanking your chain with the facials!

MikeA
10-31-2010, 06:38 AM
That guitar Joe is playing in post

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126670&postcount=934

I like to have never figured out what it was! A "Deusenberg"

WalshFan88
10-31-2010, 08:00 AM
BTW, I hope you know we're yanking your chain with the facials!

:lol: Of course!

WalshFan88
10-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Nice Banner P47!

That guitar Joe is playing in post

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126670&postcount=934

I like to have never figured out what it was! A "Deusenberg"

Took me forever too when I found out a couple months back. Those Duesenberg's are really getting around. Ronnie Wood from the Stones, Mike Campbell from the Heartbreakers, Bob Dylan, and Glenn and Joe are all now playing them.

WalshFan88
10-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Hey, speak for yourself, Mike:hilarious:. I'm dead serious about the constipated grimaces:lie:. Just trying to help him out......:cheers:

:rofl: LOL!

WalshFan88
10-31-2010, 08:03 AM
The Shure mics are good, especially for live performances, but I think you'll like the condenser mics better for recording either vocals or instruments.

The thing about the Shure mics is that they are durable. Heck, you can run 'em over with a tour bus and not harm them. You can't do that with a condenser. They are much more fragile...but perfect for studio work.

Yeah when I get a condenser it'll just be for recordings and such.

MikeA
10-31-2010, 08:44 AM
Walsh has been playing them for years. They are not available from Sweetwater or from Musicians Friend nor from Guitar Center.

I found a USA dealer list. There's one in Tulsa (maybe 2.5 hours from me) and another in Vegas (I'll be there week after next.

Would sure like to get my hands on one and see what it feels and sounds like. Seems like they likely sell for $2000 to $3000....maybe a bit more.

WalshFan88
10-31-2010, 09:01 AM
Walsh has been playing them for years. They are not available from Sweetwater or from Musicians Friend nor from Guitar Center.

I found a USA dealer list. There's one in Tulsa (maybe 2.5 hours from me) and another in Vegas (I'll be there week after next.

Would sure like to get my hands on one and see what it feels and sounds like. Seems like they likely sell for $2000 to $3000....maybe a bit more.

Yeah he has been playing them for a few years. He got started on them by being backstage to a Tom Petty gig and he picked up Mike Campbell's Dusenberg and fell in love with it, so he ordered two, one for Glenn and one for himself. He loved them both so much he kept them both, and ordered two more, another for himself and one for Glenn so he could get his LOL! Joe has 3 or 4 Duesies (my nickname for them). Red one, white one, black one, and probably another one I'm forgetting at the moment.

There is a dealer not too far from here (well, about 3 hours) that sells them in St. Louis, MO called "Killer Vintage", so if I wanted one I'm sure I could get one easily enough, its the price tag that is stopping me from doing so! :lol:

MikeA
10-31-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't think there is "one" guitar that would be the best for everyone. In the Walsh Photo thread we talked a little about the Taylor guitars. A lot of people play them and a lot of people love them. But the attributes of it that you mentioned attracting you to them (bright jangly sound) was the thing that made me like the warmth of the Seagull. And by the way, the Gallagher I mentioned was a bright toned instrument too. And Gallaghers are expensive axes as well...probably more than the Taylors.

I've talked to others who love Ovations (which I personally don't like at all .... they slide all over the place <LOL> because of that curved body). And others who really like Breedloves. I have a friend who played a Breedlove and for the life of me, I can't remember the tone it had. Beautiful instrument though.

Gibson....I do like them. My father-in-law is "willing" an L50 to me (may it be decades before I get my hands on it!) Body is cracked badly in two places and it has been "well loved" (or as they advertise these days "Road Worn") except that truly is the case with this one; no fake aging! But the tone that black archtop has is to die for! It is at least 70 years old if not older. Can't find any serial numbers on it but Clair has had it since they started growing trees. It's his "baby".

WalshFan88
10-31-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think there is "one" guitar that would be the best for everyone. In the Walsh Photo thread we talked a little about the Taylor guitars. A lot of people play them and a lot of people love them. But the attributes of it that you mentioned attracting you to them (bright jangly sound) was the thing that made me like the warmth of the Seagull. And by the way, the Gallagher I mentioned was a bright toned instrument too. And Gallaghers are expensive axes as well...probably more than the Taylors.

I've talked to others who love Ovations (which I personally don't like at all .... they slide all over the place <LOL> because of that curved body). And others who really like Breedloves. I have a friend who played a Breedlove and for the life of me, I can't remember the tone it had. Beautiful instrument though.

Gibson....I do like them. My father-in-law is "willing" an L50 to me (may it be decades before I get my hands on it!) Body is cracked badly in two places and it has been "well loved" (or as they advertise these days "Road Worn") except that truly is the case with this one; no fake aging! But the tone that black archtop has is to die for! It is at least 70 years old if not older. Can't find any serial numbers on it but Clair has had it since they started growing trees. It's his "baby".

I agree about the Ovations, they do slide all over! I can't stand them! :D

And I agree, every guitar player is different, and that's why there is LOTS of guitars out there! :hilarious: Not one guitar "fits" all.

MikeA
11-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Here's a demo and review of the Breedlove...or one of them. I do like the tone on this woody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U975nCvppso

WalshFan88
11-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Here's a demo and review of the Breedlove...or one of them. I do like the tone on this woody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U975nCvppso

I've heard great things about their guitars - they are supposed to play VERY nicely.

In an acoustic guitar I mainly look for a couple things. A thin, shallow neck. Which is surprising to other players because I have huge hands but I prefer thin necks on all of my guitars and I like to wrap my thumb around. I've never been able to get my thumb behind the neck on any neck of any guitar, I've always had to put it over the side just due to having big hands, but I find that thin necks are easier to play for me.

The second thing I look for is what we talked about, which is a guitar that has a perfect top end, with a lot less low end. Something perfect mid-to-top, which is funny because I've heard Glenn Frey say the same thing in a guitar magazine interview. He wants a bright guitar with more mids and top end and less bass/warmth so he can cut through live. The reason I like a brighter (but not shrill) acoustic is for that reason, because a lot of their acoustic sounds had quite a bit of top end and midrange and less bass. Tak's (Takamines) do offer that and in the new Takamine Glenn Frey model he (Glenn) was sure to make sure it was like his favorite Takamine with very little deep sound and a more janglier sound. I can always add bass with the PA and whatnot and the preamp but it's hard for me to play a deeper acoustic instrument (Martins especially but I do love some of the brighter Martin's).

I've thought about getting the GF signature Tak, but I don't know why other than just from a collector standpoint and the fact I like to collect Eagles "memorabilia". :hilarious: I've got to go to a guitar store to pick up one of my guitars they repaired but they supposably have a Fender Super Reverb reissue and the GF signature acoustic and I'm gonna take my #1 up there and try out the Super Reverb and also try the Tak. I'm thinking about getting a Super Reverb in the distant future to go with my Twin Reverb. I love the sound of those Blackface era Fender amps. I'd like to have all of the reissues someday (Princeton, Deluxe, Super, and Twin). I'm addicted/obsessed with guitar gear. :hilarious:

MikeA
11-01-2010, 02:25 PM
I'm addicted/obsessed with guitar gear. :hilarious:

And your local shops LOVE you for it! Personally, I'm a lot more interested in buying the skill....haven't figured out just what it is I need to buy to get that skill, but I keep looking and occasionally BUYING. You'd think that with all the stuff I own that I'd be very skillful by now.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that just because I have the same amp and guitar as Glenn uses, I don't get that same sound out! Must be something wrong with the equipment.

WalshFan88
11-01-2010, 02:45 PM
And your local shops LOVE you for it! Personally, I'm a lot more interested in buying the skill....haven't figured out just what it is I need to buy to get that skill, but I keep looking and occasionally BUYING. You'd think that with all the stuff I own that I'd be very skillful by now.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that just because I have the same amp and guitar as Glenn uses, I don't get that same sound out! Must be something wrong with the equipment.

I'm sure my local shops do indeed love me! :hilarious:

As for skill-buying, I think that from what clips you've posted you don't give yourself enough credit as a player . That's just my opinion. They sound great. But I'm sure you know, practice makes perfect, or as close to perfect as possible! :D In the beginning I practiced 8hrs a day. Now it's more like 1hr "rehearsing" and and 1hr of jamming. I really don't call it practice anymore because it's not dreadful work, so I call it "rehearsing". :hilarious:

As far as getting the same sound as Glenn, it might be trickier because you might not have the same approach and style as far as everything from the way you hit the strings and pick with the pick to the settings on the amp and guitar. I can get pretty darn close with my Taylor unplugged to their recordings (such as Take it Easy, Peaceful Easy Feeling, etc), and plugged into my band's PA I can get pretty close as well. Sometime I want to check into a Fender Acoustasonic although I've seen him lately with Trace Elliot acoustic amps onstage from the pics I've seen. I know Tim uses their bass amps too.

MikeA
11-01-2010, 02:59 PM
Case in point....Here's Glenn's "I Dreamed There Was No War". I didn't go acoustic with this one. Sheraton II on the neck with a Tweed Amp Model with the gain at about 1/2 and a touch of reverb. It catches some distortion that if I were doing it "seriously" I would tune out.

http://mvabercrombie.net/NoWar.mp3

When Glenn plays that, it DRIPS emotion. It puts you in a moody state like you might envision him being in, kicked back on a sofa on a cloudy drizzly day in sort of a bummed out mood and picking out that song to equate to his state of mind.

When I play it, I hit all the right notes, but it sure don't convey what Glenn did well enough to win a Grammy for!

WalshFan88
11-01-2010, 03:11 PM
Case in point....Here's Glenn's "I Dreamed There Was No War". I didn't go acoustic with this one. Sheraton II on the neck with a Tweed Amp Model with the gain at about 1/2 and a touch of reverb. It catches some distortion that if I were doing it "seriously" I would tune out.

http://mvabercrombie.net/NoWar.mp3

If you ever want to get Joe Walsh's sound, get a Fender Twin Reverb and a good tube overdrive pedal such as a Tubescreamer or a Fulltone OCD. I absolutely nail his sound exactly with that amp. I'll pick the guitar that fits the song, so for instance I'd use a Les Paul on "Life's Been Good", as it was recorded with a LP and a Twin Reverb. It sounds like the record, which is what I need for my band, because I want it to be very accurate and note-for-note. You can also nail the "Funk 49" sound, the "Life In The Fast Lane" sound, and even stuff like "Rocky Mountain Way" and pretty much any of his songs. It sounds like the record to me, and I've had a lot of people say the same.

The other guitar player mainly plays Fender's (typically Strats) and plays through a Deluxe Reverb and while his isn't as loud as mine, it still is a great amp and is one that gets the sound we need for the band. I typically am on about 3 or 4 at a gig and he is on 6 or so. We do Eagles and Stones music primarily. Sometimes we will throw in another song by a different Classic Rock group. We are like a tribute band, we play events/parties/special occasions and we have a ball. He's a Strat guy so when he is playing a single coil guitar, I'll play a humbucker guitar and vice versa. We do everything from "Heartache Tonight" to "Honky Tonk Woman".

MikeA
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't think I ever posted this. I think there was one of the contests (like Name That Tune or something) where this song was mentioned. It got me to thinking about it. I really like it when I was in Jr. High and thought I'd give it a try.

It needs drums and vocals, and maybe some bass, but here's what I came up with on the guitar.

http://mvabercrombie.net/TobaccoRoad.mp3

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 12:00 PM
I don't think I ever posted this. I think there was one of the contests (like Name That Tune or something) where this song was mentioned. It got me to thinking about it. I really like it when I was in Jr. High and thought I'd give it a try.

It needs drums and vocals, and maybe some bass, but here's what I came up with on the guitar.

Very good Mike! I really like that one.

MikeA
11-02-2010, 12:07 PM
It's kind of fun recording like that. Lay down the rhythm track and when you get to the part where you want to insert an "outtake" or solo or something, you "time stretch" the rhythm track to make room for it and record your piece as a separate track, move it into the gap you created with the "time stretch" and you end up with a seamless overdubbed recording.

But you can never get that sound live unless you have someone else playing one of the parts.

When I put drums into the mix, I usually record them first and loop them. Then play over them without "time stretch". Vocals, if I attempt them, I usually do last.

When you're all through with the project, you save it and then export it as an MP3 or WAV or whatever and you then have something you can share (or send in as an "audition tape" or whatever they call them these days.

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 12:30 PM
It's kind of fun recording like that. Lay down the rhythm track and when you get to the part where you want to insert an "outtake" or solo or something, you "time stretch" the rhythm track to make room for it and record your piece as a separate track, move it into the gap you created with the "time stretch" and you end up with a seamless overdubbed recording.

But you can never get that sound live unless you have someone else playing one of the parts.

When I put drums into the mix, I usually record them first and loop them. Then play over them without "time stretch". Vocals, if I attempt them, I usually do last.

When you're all through with the project, you save it and then export it as an MP3 or WAV or whatever and you then have something you can share (or send in as an "audition tape" or whatever they call them these days.

I just read that the new GarageBand has what they call Groove Matching so you can sync up all of your instruments at the same start and stop time and rhythm to make the process faster of syncing.

MikeA
11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
I would have sworn I'd posted something on this before. Guess not. I just burned it today and did it in one pass....no overdubs.

http://mvabercrombie.net/LifesBeenGood.mp3

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 04:39 PM
I would have sworn I'd posted something on this before. Guess not. I just burned it today and did it in one pass....no overdubs.

Hmm you've just inspired me to make a video playing the same song. Give me a while, I'm going to get my hair cut and then when I get back - watch out for a video! :hilarious:

That, sir, is my riff of choice when I try out new guitars in stores or amps or anything. Life's Been Good and Funk #49 are the first riffs I play when trying something out. LBG is probably my favorite electric guitar intro riff of all time.

MikeA
11-02-2010, 04:55 PM
You get a haircut and you'll have to get a wig. I didn't think Rockstars got haircuts. I got my hair cut once. All two of them. Too old to wear a wig so I just wear a hat to keep what's left of the grey matter from freezing or boiling.

That's one of the two I generally hit off on in the shops too when auditioning new gear. The other is Hotel California. It's illegal to play Stairway to Heaven in the shops.

When I bought the Tele, I was playing some CCR "Born On The Bayou" and two of the clowns behind the counters came running out to see what what happening. About the only thing they are used to hearing played on their floor models is someone Shreading on Marshals cranked to 11 with full on distortion.

Sometimes, it's kinda nice to hear individual notes.

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 06:06 PM
You get a haircut and you'll have to get a wig. I didn't think Rockstars got haircuts. I got my hair cut once. All two of them. Too old to wear a wig so I just wear a hat to keep what's left of the grey matter from freezing or boiling.

That's one of the two I generally hit off on in the shops too when auditioning new gear. The other is Hotel California. It's illegal to play Stairway to Heaven in the shops.

When I bought the Tele, I was playing some CCR "Born On The Bayou" and two of the clowns behind the counters came running out to see what what happening. About the only thing they are used to hearing played on their floor models is someone Shreading on Marshals cranked to 11 with full on distortion.

Sometimes, it's kinda nice to hear individual notes.

Haha I just had my bangs trimmed. I'm letting the back and sides grow long. It's almost to my shoulders now! I just had to get it out of my eyes so I could see straight! :rofl:

Hotel California is the one I play when trying acoustics. I had a shop owner come and listen to me play it and he sang it all the way through! :D

I hear ya on the Shredders. Everytime I've ever been in a guitar center there are some really young kids shredding on Jacksons and pointy guitars drop tuned playing through insane amounts of distortion. It makes no sense to me, but I know I'm also old school! :hilarious: But still, it doesn't make sense.

MikeA
11-02-2010, 06:35 PM
Actually PB47, what happened was that I'd gone in for a haircut. I told the lady that: "I need a hair cut". She asked "Which one? The one in front or the one in back?" I asked her if it would cost double to get both of them cut.

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Here's my take on the intro to Life's Been Good

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=lbg.mp4

tequila girl
11-02-2010, 07:28 PM
Hey OGG
I'm not much into technical stuff..........but that sounded good! :thumbsup:

are ALL those guitars yours?

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey OGG
I'm not much into technical stuff..........but that sounded good! :thumbsup:

are ALL those guitars yours?

Thanks!!! :)

And yes, I have about 30 guitars. I'm addicted to them! :hilarious: Obsessed is more like it! :rofl:

tequila girl
11-02-2010, 07:31 PM
I'm addicted to them! :hilarious: Obsessed is more like it! :rofl:
I think we've gathered that! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 07:33 PM
I think we've gathered that! :hilarious: :hilarious: :hilarious:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

WalshFan88
11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
I try to learn as much as I can.

MikeA
11-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Serious question....Did you record that before or after you got your hair cut?:eyebrow:

I'll be looking closely at that vid more than once Austin. You play it a bit differently than I (More like Joe plays it). Instead of trying to nail a song note for note as the original artist nails it, I tend to try to get the "feel" or "implication" of the artist as simply as possible. I think that's called a "Fake". <LOL>

One thing I was having trouble with was recording the distortion in the intro. It was clipping and sounded like a mess when I did it so I played it pretty much "clean".

You are following the intro with all the nuances that Joe put into it and that is completely understandable seeing as how you are playing it "live" and on stage. WELL DONE!

I pretty much play the "bending" notes and the subsequent run without any alterations (which I know to be wrong) and then just change the form of the "A" chord after each opening run on the 2nd fret. The first time, it's just an "A". The second time, I leave the "D" string open. Then end it with another complete "A" chord. I liked the added "A" on the "e" string you use. I'd never thought to add that to the chord on that song!

Question: How do you play that descending 3-chord intro (acoustic I think) to the "F" "C" "G" (I toss in a Dm too...F C Dm then walk the from C to G and then to A)? I think that descending group of chords coming into the "verses" starts out with a "D" form up on the 5th fret but the second and third chords, I'm not sure of.

The part I'm thinking of is played when Joe transitions from the intro into the main verse sequence. He repeats it with variations several times.

MikeA
11-03-2010, 09:11 AM
And Austin, I'm dejected. After all I've tried to teach you! You are way too happy in that video. You really need to work on the Face!

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 10:27 AM
If I would have busted into the solo, I would have made faces but when I'm just playing chords it's just not as inspiring to make faces as playing lead is! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Serious question....Did you record that before or after you got your hair cut?:eyebrow:

Question: How do you play that descending 3-chord intro (acoustic I think) to the "F" "C" "G" (I toss in a Dm too...F C Dm then walk the from C to G and then to A)? I think that descending group of chords coming into the "verses" starts out with a "D" form up on the 5th fret but the second and third chords, I'm not sure of.

The part I'm thinking of is played when Joe transitions from the intro into the main verse sequence. He repeats it with variations several times.

To answer your first question I recorded it before and uploaded it after! :D But honestly there isn't much difference now, other than just trimming my bangs some.

I will make an acoustic video sometime today on how I do that descending part. Joe just usually kicks on a Chorus pedal and goes clean when he does it live. But It's pretty close to the way you played it actually. :)

MikeA
11-03-2010, 11:08 AM
I play that part with a normal "D" chord but formed on the 5th and 6th frets instead of 2nd and 3rd. The second chord I use is a bar'd "C" on the 3rd fret ("A" form bar chord) and then end it with a Bb (Bar'd "A" form on the 1st fret. I know that's not the way Joe plays it but the sound is similar. However, Joe varies the chords just slightly each time he repeats it.

MikeA
11-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Hmmm, maybe we should start a new thread...Gearhead for the talk about instruments, stomp boxes and amps and such. The another for the "Sound Bytes" and "Videos" we upload.

Anyone think that to be something worthwhile?

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Hmmm, maybe we should start a new thread...Gearhead for the talk about instruments, stomp boxes and amps and such. The another for the "Sound Bytes" and "Videos" we upload.

Anyone think that to be something worthwhile?

Sounds like an excellent idea to me! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
11-03-2010, 01:39 PM
I think it's a good idea, Mike, because I'll admit I don't get over to Gearhead very often, so putting your stuff in a separate thread would keep it from getting buried in Gearhead.

Nice video Austin. I enjoyed that.

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:05 PM
I think it's a good idea, Mike, because I'll admit I don't get over to Gearhead very often, so putting your stuff in a separate thread would keep it from getting buried in Gearhead.

Nice video Austin. I enjoyed that.

Thank you! :) :)

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:07 PM
Here is that part of Life's Been Good you asked about Mike:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=lbg-1.mp4

It's hard for me to play it on acoustic though because I use heavier strings on that acoustic with a bit of a higher action and you have to keep the high E held down while barring the other strings! I can play it on electric though no pain. :hilarious:

Hope this helps!

EDIT: Oh crap I didn't see the new thread. From now on all vids will go in there! I'm a bit slow today! :hilarious:

MikeA
11-03-2010, 02:27 PM
You got the FACE! I have a whole new level of respect now <LOL>

Those are some really weird little fingerings on that acoustic lead-in. Not a natural chord shape so I'll have to develop new muscle memory for that!

THANKS AUSTIN! You da man!

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:33 PM
You got the FACE! I have a whole new level of respect now <LOL>

Those are some really weird little fingerings on that acoustic lead-in. Not a natural chord shape so I'll have to develop new muscle memory for that!

THANKS AUSTIN! You da man!

Thanks! :D

Very weird fingerings in that lead in. I have a feeling Joe was either high (which would not surprise me) OR maybe he just wanted to experiment and moved his fingers around til he heard what he liked! :hilarious:

Here is an article on how they put together Life's Been Good. It's how I learned it was a Les Paul and a Twin Reverb. :)

http://mixonline.com/recording/tracking/classic-tracks-joe-walsh-lifes-been-good/

tequila girl
11-03-2010, 02:50 PM
Hey OGG

Have you got a parrot?

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:52 PM
Hey OGG

Have you got a parrot?

Maybe... Might have two of them! :hilarious:

An African Grey and a Senegal.

MikeA
11-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Great article reference Austin. Szymczyk is one of a dying breed if there are any left anything like him at all any more! He was as much of an artist in his area as Joe IS in his....but it was an analog era....1/4" tape, razorblades and scotch tape! You get ONE shot at a mix and if that fails, you either cut and splice or you start over from scratch.

When did Szymczyk and Walsh first hook up? Was it Barnstorm or back during the Gang days?

tequila girl
11-03-2010, 02:55 PM

Maybe... Might have two of them! :hilarious:

An African Grey and a Senegal.

I thought I heard the dulcet tones of a cag in your video :hilarious: you'll have to put some pics in the pet thread..........Please?

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Great article reference Austin. Szymczyk is one of a dying breed if there are any left anything like him at all any more! He was as much of an artist in his area as Joe IS in his....but it was an analog era....1/4" tape, razorblades and scotch tape! You get ONE shot at a mix and if that fails, you either cut and splice or you start over from scratch.

When did Szymczyk and Walsh first hook up? Was it Barnstorm or back during the Gang days?

Gang days! He produced the "Yer Album" in '69 that Joe was on.

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I thought I heard the dulcet tones of a cag in your video :hilarious: you'll have to put some pics in the pet thread..........Please?

Sure!! :)

MikeA
11-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Okay, I think I see what you are playing but check me please.

Everything is played on the "e" "B" and "G" strings (1 2 and 3)

5 6 5 for the "D" shape on the 5th fret.
3 5 5 for one of the weird ones
1 1 2 for the "F" sort of chord

Is that right?

Then you took off on something I couldn't see clearly enough as you were playing it that followed that before it gets into the F C Dm C progression for the verses.

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Okay, I think I see what you are playing but check me please.

Everything is played on the "e" "B" and "G" strings (1 2 and 3)

5 6 5 for the "D" shape on the 5th fret.
3 5 5 for one of the weird ones
1 1 2 for the "F" sort of chord

Is that right?

Then you took off on something I couldn't see clearly enough as you were playing it that followed that before it gets into the F C Dm C progression for the verses.

That's right on the first part.

The second part is Am-G-Am. But the first Am chord going to the G needs to be played with the top three strings on the 5th fret held down (GBe) and one finger on the D string on the 7th fret. then it goes to a G chord like an F chord but slid up to the third fret, and then to a regular open position Am chord.

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 03:33 PM
I'll try to have it down by my next video I make.

MikeA
11-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Joe was either Genius or Tripping when he came up with that mess! But it sounds good in that song!

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Joe was either Genius or Tripping when he came up with that mess! But it sounds good in that song!

I agree! :hilarious:

MikeA
11-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Messed around with it a bit. Instead of inventing or adapting to the shapes we are both describing, see if this works for you by using shapes we are all familiar with.

The "D" shape on the first go-round is pretty simple and a shape we all better know!

That second chord...the 3 5 5 chord....That's really the same as a barr'd "C" using the "A" form.

The 1 1 2 is just the top strings of an "F" chord.

Now to the others.

Your bar top 3 on the 5th fret with a 7th fret on the "D" string....well, that's part of a "Dm" bard on the 5th fret but leaving off the fretting of the B and G strings. Pretty easy if I make it that way.

The "F" on the 3rd fret....it's a freakin' "F" on a different fret. I can handle that.

And an Am is an Am <LOL>

Maybe it isn't as weird as it looks after you look at the overall shapes.

WalshFan88
11-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Messed around with it a bit. Instead of inventing or adapting to the shapes we are both describing, see if this works for you by using shapes we are all familiar with.

The "D" shape on the first go-round is pretty simple and a shape we all better know!

That second chord...the 3 5 5 chord....That's really the same as a barr'd "C" using the "A" form.

The 1 1 2 is just the top strings of an "F" chord.

Now to the others.

Your bar top 3 on the 5th fret with a 7th fret on the "D" string....well, that's part of a "Dm" bard on the 5th fret but leaving off the fretting of the B and G strings. Pretty easy if I make it that way.

The "F" on the 3rd fret....it's a freakin' "F" on a different fret. I can handle that.

And an Am is an Am <LOL>

Maybe it isn't as weird as it looks after you look at the overall shapes.

Yep that works. I think Steuart plays something like that behind what Joe is playing (he just plays the barred version of the chord).

WalshFan88
11-06-2010, 01:13 AM
Well I went and tried another Fender tube amp today and the Super Reverb will be my next one. Hopefully early next year sometime. Joe has used Super Reverbs a lot along with Twin Reverbs. I think he uses Deluxe Reverbs onstage with the Eagles because they want a quieter stage volume. I also picked up a new overdrive pedal and will be shooting a vid with that this weekend.

MikeA
11-06-2010, 06:44 AM
I have discovered a couple of things about pedals. They do really increase the flexibility of the amp I have. The AD**VT and the VT** series of VOX amps have two selectors primarily. There is one to select the AMP Model and then there is another that you can select the efffect with. The effects are mutually exclusive...If you want Phase, You can not combine it with the Reverb.

However, there is another feature that lets you select an amp model and pile it with effects and save that preset into channel 1. Then select another preset and save it to channel 2. I have a footswitch that allows me to switch between amp models and another footswitch that will deselect the effects. So I guess you could say that I have 4 options controled by foot without having to touch the amp controls.

That's handy as you well know with your array of foot pedals. But with a separate stompbox, that throws yet another foot selectable option. I'd like to get a good Wah-Wah pedal and maybe a Fuzz pedal.

I have pretty good COMP and a couple of okay Reverbs (spring and rotary) on the amp. Other than sometimes using the Chorus, that's about all I use. I seldom use the Tremlo and Phase and Delay unless I'm just playing around with Miles.

WalshFan88
11-06-2010, 01:42 PM
I really recommend a Dunlop "Crybaby" Wah pedal. I have the one with a metal enclosure because I'm afraid of breaking it. LOL!

MikeA
11-06-2010, 04:01 PM
I really recommend a Dunlop "Crybaby" Wah pedal. I have the one with a metal enclosure because I'm afraid of breaking it. LOL!

Actually, that's the one I've been looking at. Do you have one of the signature models or just the basic one?

WalshFan88
11-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Actually, that's the one I've been looking at. Do you have one of the signature models or just the basic one?

I have the Wylde model because it was the only all metal case one at the time.

MikeA
11-06-2010, 06:55 PM
This stomper sounds pretty wild...I mean it "reads" like it should be a great addition. I haven't actually heard it.

I found it when I was looking for something to emulate a 12-string. I do a lot of basically acoustic chord accompaniments for vocals and a 12-string adds a lot to many of those songs. I'd like to have a 12-string acoustic...or electric but not enough to go out and buy one. Now, and electric....hmmmm....that may go onto my bucket list!

But top priority would be a good wah and a fuzz box. My son had a pretty fully optioned Digitec unit but the pedal on it was a toy...plastic and it didn't have a good feel to it. Pretty worthless. Since they are still in business, I assume that they have improved their product.

WalshFan88
11-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I just traded an acoustic of mine (Morgan Monroe) for an Epiphone 335 that has been upgraded with Duncan pickups already. It's very smooth. My first hollow body. I played the "I Cant Tell You Why" solo and it nailed the sound. It's cherry red like Chuck Berry's 335. I'm away from home but when I get back I'll post pics!

MikeA
11-07-2010, 08:18 AM
I just traded an acoustic of mine (Morgan Monroe) for an Epiphone 335 that has been upgraded with Duncan pickups already. It's very smooth. My first hollow body. I played the "I Cant Tell You Why" solo and it nailed the sound. It's cherry red like Chuck Berry's 335. I'm away from home but when I get back I'll post pics!

Oh, I just checked. You must have gotten the "DOT". It comes in Cherry while the Sheraton II doesn't. But the finish and the bindings are the only difference between the two that I could see. Good buys on an authorized knockoff that is identical to the Gibson 335 but around $3,000 cheaper! Ought to be....same blueprints Gibson uses and they are owned by the same company!

Those are sweet guitars and the PUP upgrade is almost mandatory. I haven't upgraded mine but should. It has such a fantastic neck on it. I have the Black one with all the glitz on it (binding, gold hardware). Love my Sheraton II.

It is a semi-hollow body which sold me on it over the Casino looks like the Sheraton (335) but is hollow.

What I really need to do is take mine in and have the pots all tightened up. One is loose enough that when you turn the knob, it doesn't stop when you max it out. I'm afraid I'm going to break the wiring.

I'd do it myself, but I can't get any tools thru the eff holes to grip the lock nut. I'd like also to switch out to Gibson '57 Humbuckers. The Epiphone pups are knockoffs or something at least that doesn't come up to Gibson's standards....the only thing really that isn't "Gibson" about the guitar. Maybe the tuners but I don't have any complaints about them.

Oh, and while looking, I saw a Dean Boca-12 12-string electric for $300. Wonder if it is worth looking into?

http://mvabercrombie.net/abercrombie_albums/2008_0918_guitars/redguitar013.jpg

WalshFan88
11-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Yup it is a "Dot". The guy who previously owned it has changed out all of the hardware and electronics so I don't have to do a thing to it but play it! :hilarious:

I'll get pics tomorrow and do a video with it as well.

WalshFan88
11-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Also, I think the Duncan's would be perfect for your 335 too Mike. Very smooth blues sound.

MikeA
11-07-2010, 05:18 PM
My Sheraton II is so old that the gold plating is about gone on all the metal. It was pretty badly pitted when I got it. And that black finish really shows finger prints. Have to keep it polished constantly.

When I do switch out the hardware, I'll definitely not go back with gold.

WalshFan88
11-07-2010, 09:56 PM
My Sheraton II is so old that the gold plating is about gone on all the metal. It was pretty badly pitted when I got it. And that black finish really shows finger prints. Have to keep it polished constantly.

When I do switch out the hardware, I'll definitely not go back with gold.

Yeah nickel hardware works really well on guitars I think.

MikeA
11-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I spent about an hour at my Father-in-law's last night trying to figure out why he wasn't able to record! No mic signal was getting to the computer.

This is a new computer I built for him back in the spring of 2010 and loaded with Win7. I never did figure out for sure what was wrong because the problem in intermittent. I'd get it working and then it would just stop saying that the recording device was not present! It is probably a sound card issue. He is trying to use the system's motherboard sound device.

I'm trying to get him fixed up with a Analog/Digital converter something like what you bought and that I have. I really think that will eliminate his issues. He has a condenser mic that uses a battery in the mic so he doesn't need phantom power for it...it has a straight 1/4" normal plug.

For his recording, he uses acoustic instruments pretty much exclusively. A Guitar, a Fiddle, a Mandolin and a Banjatar (looks like a banjo and sounds like a banjo but is strung and tuned EADGBe like a normal 6-string guitar).

So, he records everything from a mic. He'll still need the POD or GearBox software to interface, but he'll set it on bypass and just feed the raw signal into Audacity. He could use the digital effects to add some reverb or chorus to the signal, but I've found that isn't as honest a sound as you get when using a good amp with chorus/reverb. I don't think he has an acoustic amp though. I know he has some monster Peavey that he uses in the most clean channel he can get on it for live performaces.

But then as I was getting ready to leave last night, he tells me he's bought a 12-string electric! I can't remember what it was...something from the 60's or 70's. It's not a Ric or any of the other more recognizable brands. I'll post information on it when he gets it in his hands!

All I can say is that I hope he gets really specific in his WILL. I'd really hate to see all the gear he has be sold off in some Estate Sale!

MikeA
11-08-2010, 05:29 PM
I've been looking for a halfway decent 12-string type sound for a long time now and have found something that comes pretty close. Had it sitting there all the time but had never thought of plugging my Tele into it.

With the Tele on the bridge and plugged into my Fender Acoustasonic Jr with the Chorus depth at around 7 and the rate pretty close to 10 and the string dynamics about 5, with reverb cranked, it comes close enough.

That chord progression that Gordon Lightfoot used on "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" sounds good (Am Em G D and repeat forever! with a little ditzy doodle on the "A" chord).

It's not a 12-string but sounds about as close as I can get without one. All "jangley"....where'd that word come from anyway...sounds like something RAINMAN would have said.

WalshFan88
11-08-2010, 11:20 PM
http://i56.tinypic.com/s40yz7.jpg

My newest addition. Epiphone Dot 335 with Seymour Duncan pickups. Great guitar, but the nut is going to have to be changed. its worn too low and hitting the frets causing buzz (whoever previously owned this played it a LOT). So it's going to my guitar tech ASAP for a new nut and a complete setup. Really digging the hollowbody 335 tone and playability though.

MikeA
11-09-2010, 07:52 AM
If the nut is worn down, you should look closely at the frets too. Man, that's a beauty! My first "electric" was the Sheraton II. It may not be my #1 any more, but it will never leave my possession.

MikeA
11-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I lied to you about the mics, Austin.

The ones I use are both MXL mics and both are condenser mics (need phantom power to use them).

My main mic is the MXL 992. Big ole clunker about 2"+ in diameter in a completely cylindrical shape (not lolipop). It mounts in a floating shock mount on the end of a boom mic stand.

The other mic is a MXL 603s pencil type mic. I use it on the neck of my acoustic around the 12th or 13th fret with the 992 down on the bridge if I really want the complete acoustic recording. But mostly, I just stick the 603s on a desktop stand and put it in front of the amp.

I've seen some really good deals on these MXL mics. I think I gave around $100 for the pair of mine when they were closing them out at Musician's Friend. Never once regretted getting them!

I was looking for the interface you bought. Have you got it yet? Tried it out? Had any problems with it? It was a Line-6 UX1 wasn't it? I've got to come up with one for my Father-in-law. He's trying to record through his sound card and having all sorts of problems with the computer recognizing that he even has a mic plugged into it!

MikeA
11-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Austin,

Wanted to talk a little about monitoring while using a USB interface. It is a little tricky because you are not feeding your system's sound card with your signals.

The "secret" is to use the analog outputs of your interface and run a line to an amp and set the volume just loud enough to hear. By doing this, the effects and amp models you have chosen are mixed into the signal and you can hear the results real-time as you are playing. This method also pretty much removes any latency (delay in what you are playing and what you are hearing).

The other advantage here is that you can leave the recording software (Garageband in your case) set to play back through your computer's speakers. That means you can listen to the first track you laid down while playing along with it and hearing what you are playing through your amp.

Of course, you will not have the levels balanced probably when you do this, but you can tweak the levels once you get both tracks recorded. I didn't mean to imply that you can "only" record two tracks. The limit is pretty much set by your DAW.

None of this makes a lot of difference if you are recording from a microphone because you'll be monitoring what you are playing from your amp.

I've recorded a couple of ways besides the mic. I've gone straight into the interface with the guitar instrument chord and used the model amps and effects in the interface software (Gearbox in my case, but probably Pod Farm in yours).

I've also gone through my amp and used the line-out from the amp straight into the interface. This works pretty well if you desire to play around with the digital modeling.

Now, when I'm mic'ing, I do NOT want any of the modeling to happen, yet you have to go through the interface software to get the signal to your DAW. So, you have to select the "bypass" switch. On GEARBOX that switch is up in the right hand corner next to the "tuner" switch. That just passes whatever is coming into the interface hardware to the DAW. With this, the mic is going to be picking up whatever sound is coming from the speakers in your amp.

That means that for me, I have to go through my Peavey PV8 mixing board in order to get my condenser mics into something that has phantom power for the mics. So I'm going from amp to mic to mixing board to interface. And, I'm bypassing the digital effects in Gearbox and going straight to the Audacity DAW (yours is Garageband I think).

WHEW....one last thing....Line-6 states that all of their drivers are compatible with both Win-7 32-bit and 64-bit operating systems. You'll have to check to see what is compatible with MAC systems.

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the info! :)

I'm still figuring out all of the things you can do with Garageband and POD farm and trying to get a better sound. I have learned quite a bit about Garageband and so I'm just trying to get the best sound possible.

MikeA
11-09-2010, 12:49 PM
I've tried most all of the DAWs...Ableton, Cubase and probably others that I can't remember. I just stick with Audacity for its simplicity. None of that complicated ritual that you have to go through in arming tracks and selecting slices and segments and all the other technical double talk that professionals use.

Audacity is simplicity incarnate. You hit the RECORD BUTTON and start recording. Press STOP BUTTON when you are finished.

It is much easier to "insert" passages too. You record what ever you wish, position the cursor on the spot that you want to insert something and press paste. If you want to amplify or deamplify a segment, you just highlight it and select the operation you wish to do on it.

There are a ton of VST plugins for Audacity. Fades, Echos, Phasers, Distortions. Whatever. Some of them are pretty good...others just suck. But that's the arena you are in with freeware. I find that I don't use much other than the Fade-in and Fade-out and the +- Amplify to force multiple tracks to play nice together.

Heck, I've recorded loops off of CDs (drum loop comes to mind!) and saved it as an MP3 and then opened it into a project in Audacity and then played along with it. There's a lot of fancy tricky stuff you can do with the DAW that you can't do live. It's almost like cheating. Here's one with the drums I played around with a little:

http://mvabercrombie.net/Hotel%20California-03.mp3

For example, if you have a riff that you can't quite get the speed down on and still hit all the right notes, you can just record it at what ever speed you CAN hit all the notes at and then select that passage and alter the tempo without altering the pitch!. I've even copied a track and shifted the pitch without changing the speed and pasted it in another track along that with the riff played at normal pitch. You can get some good harmony effects that way (I think the effect is similar to what you would get with an Octavia pedal.)

Whatever, you can get really carried away just playing around with the DAW.

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Very interesting!!

I'm uploading my 335 video now and will post it in the clips thread when its done.

MikeA
11-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh, and for those of you who haven't messed around with DAWs and Audio Interfaces, there are two "spots" in which you can introduce effects.

The obvious is with the interface. As the signal comes through it, the computer intercepts it and injects whatever effects (VSTs and other Plug-ins) so that it goes to the DAW with its altered state. For instance, you can plug your guitar straight into the interface with no amp or effects pedals involved. In that case, you are sending a completely clean signal to the interface altered ONLY by the personality of the pickups and the characteristics of the guitar. When you do that, you are going to be either recording with the DAW only a clean sound. That is, unless you have selected amplifier models, speaker cabinets, microphones and effects "digitally" with the interface.

The OTHER way you can introduce effects is with the DAW itself. AFTER you have recorded your track, you can use the DAW to select entire tracks and apply an effect to it...like distortion or reverb or chorus or whatever.

So when I talked about VSTs and other effects, they are completely separate between the DAW and the Interface. Some might be redundant, and some might be usable by both the DAW and Interface, but for the most part, they are separate entities.

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Just thought I'd put some pics of my band in here, and some pics from my Ausfest event too. I didn't know where else to put them! :hilarious:

The Stone Eagles:

http://i53.tinypic.com/2yw96o9.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/kp4jt.jpg

FYI:The pretty female backup singer next to me is NOT a member of the band - she happened to be at this jam with another band and loves the Eagles and knew their songs and asked to join us for a song, so she got to sing backup but after the first song we really liked her backup vocals (that was the only reason :lie:) so we let her stay throughout the whole set! :hilarious:

Me sitting in with blues band at Ausfest:

http://i51.tinypic.com/1z23tb5.jpg

MikeA
11-09-2010, 06:08 PM
That looks like a LOT of fun Austin! :thumbsup:

We had a family reunion a couple of years ago and someone shot this one of my Father-in-law and I doing some country bluegrass type stuff.

I has us both amp'd through my Acoustasonic Jr. We didn't need much. We were in a HUGE metal building used for large gatherings. Great acoustics if you like plenty of "space".

http://mvabercrombie.net/MeandClair.jpg

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 06:13 PM
That looks like a LOT of fun Austin! :thumbsup:

We had a family reunion a couple of years ago and someone shot this one of my Father-in-law and I doing some country bluegrass type stuff.

Very cool!!! The other guitar player in my band, Steve, is a big fan of country/bluegrass. He loves Fender guitars - so you pretty much don't see him with anything other than a Strat (his main guitar) or a Tele. I bring the Gibson sound to the band, but we do switch and I'll pick up a Strat or Tele and he'll pick up his 335 with humbuckers.

I really like some older country (Johnny Cash, etc). I also like Brad Paisley and his guitar playing. That's it as far as new country goes for me. Brad Paisley has great Tele tone with a Dr. Z amp. He and Joe Walsh both play Dr. Z amps. Must be something they like about them. I bought a Dr. Z DVD just to watch Walsh play on it but it talks also about how Z makes his amps. They are on my list to check out in the distant future.

MikeA
11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
I'm not a Bluegrass or Country fan. But Clair wanted to honor the requests of many of the older relatives to hear him play his violin and he needed some accompaniment so I broke out the Seagull gave him some rhythm background. I never got so tired of playing "D" "A" and "G" without break before! <LOL>

However, there is ONE country group that I really like if you can call them "Country". I really don't know what to call them except Messurmizing. To me they are anyway. "The Band Of Heathens". Look them up on Youtube one of these days and listed to some of their work. They are gaining in popularity very fast. They're from Texas...a conglomeration of three guitarists and each of them was trying to make it solo in the Austin scene. Then they finally just got together and put it all together and came up with something entirely different.

It's sort of Delta Blues, Country, Rock, Bluegrass...all melted into one unique sound.

WalshFan88
11-09-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm not a Bluegrass or Country fan. But Clair wanted to honor the requests of many of the older relatives to hear him play his violin and he needed some accompaniment so I broke out the Seagull gave him some rhythm background. I never got so tired of playing "D" "A" and "G" without break before! <LOL>

However, there is ONE country group that I really like if you can call them "Country". I really don't know what to call them except Messurmizing. To me they are anyway. "The Band Of Heathens". Look them up on Youtube one of these days and listed to some of their work. They are gaining in popularity very fast. They're from Texas...a conglomeration of three guitarists and each of them was trying to make it solo in the Austin scene. Then they finally just got together and put it all together and came up with something entirely different.

It's sort of Delta Blues, Country, Rock, Bluegrass...all melted into one unique sound.

Yeah I'm not a bluegrass fan either, some country I like, but I'm a rock and blues guy for sure.

MikeA
11-10-2010, 12:24 PM
I think anyone contemplating home recording is at some point going to want to incorporate a Mixing Board to simplify leveling signals and for facilitating condenser mics that require 48 volt phantom power.

I have a Peavey PV8 that provides this for me, but I'm not entirely satisfied with it. But, the price was right (free from my FIL who found it to complicated to use!).

But, if I were going to buy one that seemed to meet my requirements, I would have to look at the Mackie at this link:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ3

Sweet deal at $99.00! Seems to have all the ins and outs anyone recording solo would need.

Well, I have the mixing board and I have a way using the analog outs to sort of monitor via my acoustic amp. However, no matter how clean that amp is, it is not a monitor. That is something that I really probably need to put up pretty high on my list of things that would help with the kind of stuff I do.

It is all pretty much hit or miss when what you hear when you are playing is not what you hear when you play the recorded track back. You really want to dial in your sound, work out the details and then play it through to get it laid down on a track. Without an accurate monitor, you might get an acceptable result, but it probably won't sound like what it did when you played it.

MikeA
11-10-2010, 04:59 PM
I was playing around with the digital effects in Gearbox that is part of my interface software. I was NOT going through my amp. Just straight into the interface box (the Toneport DI) and was using amp models and effects from the software. I was monitoring through my acoustic amp and trying to get a good clean sound with a touch of chorus and reverb....normal settings for an acoustic.

Well, I thought I'd busted a speaker! Rattly...staticy...LOUSEY!

I've used those settings before and had no problem so I was thinking the worst. Then I remembered. I had Chrome Browser running, I had Yahoo Chat running. I had Audacity fired up and I had PrintShop running <LOL>

That's what an overloaded or underpowered computer can do for you! Serious folks who record, completely dedicate a computer to nothing but recording. Especially if they are recording multiple tracks simultaneously!

I don't think a hobbyist needs to go to that extreme, but even the dorks like me who dink around with it need to remember to shut everything else down except for DAW and Interface software when they record!

After I shut it down, it got all good again <LOL>

WalshFan88
11-10-2010, 07:03 PM
LOL. My iMac is my music computer, it's an old one I have upgraded and use for recording and listening.

MikeA
11-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Confirmed according to my Father-in-law. The antique Gibson he owns is an "L30". I thought it was an L50. Clair got it new. He has a picture of him as a young teen holding the new axe!

This is from Clair.
I found my Gibson. It's a L-30 and was made from 1935-1943

Yeah....image wouldn't embed.

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3865/1712/1600/111gibonl30.jpg

WalshFan88
11-11-2010, 06:46 PM
Confirmed according to my Father-in-law. The antique Gibson he owns is an "L30". I thought it was an L50. Clair got it new. He has a picture of him as a young teen holding the new axe!

This is from Clair.
I found my Gibson. It's a L-30 and was made from 1935-1943

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3865/1712/1600/111gibonl30.jpg

I couldn't get the pic to load for me so I opened the quote window and punched in the address manually and it loaded. Some sites won't let you embed images.

Very nice guitar!!! :) I really love Gibson's. I started on a Gibson SG, and my favorite guitar of all time is a Gibson Les Paul. I still love Fenders (especially Telecasters but even Stratocasters) but Gibson's are my favorite, especially LP's.

MikeA
11-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh, Clair's isn't THAT NICE by a long shot. Body is cracked in a couple of places and it is pretty badly scared up with buckle rash and hard playing. Still the tone is GREAT. I'm of mixed feelings about whether or not it should be sent to Gibson for repairs. The guitar is valued between $1,000 and $2000 now and increasing at something like 6% per year. I am not sure what a restoration would do to its value.

WalshFan88
11-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Oh, Clair's isn't THAT NICE by a long shot. Body is cracked in a couple of places and it is pretty badly scared up with buckle rash and hard playing. Still the tone is GREAT. I'm of mixed feelings about whether or not it should be sent to Gibson for repairs. The guitar is valued between $1,000 and $2000 now and increasing at something like 6% per year. I am not sure what a restoration would do to its value.

I'm not sure either. I'd call and ask both Gibson repair and possibly some big vintage guitar stores, like Gruhn's in Nashville or Norman's Rare Guitars in LA.

WalshFan88
11-14-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm looking at getting a Paul Reed Smith guitar now. I've always wanted a PRS Custom 24, and loved the sound but I think I might try to get one at Christmas. I've seen Joe use PRS models before (513, Mira, etc) and I've heard great things about them.

MikeA
11-14-2010, 07:05 PM
Walsh has endorsed PRS gits. He used to use them a lot more before he got hooked up with Carvin. I think I may even have a PRS poster with Walsh that was given out down at the Dallas Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival. Can't remember if that was 2004, 2005 or 2006.

Don't have time to reduce the poster so just link to it if you don't mind.

http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles/Eagles_Walsh/PJoePRSsmall.jpg

WalshFan88
11-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Walsh has endorsed PRS gits. He used to use them a lot more before he got hooked up with Carvin. I think I may even have a PRS poster with Walsh that was given out down at the Dallas Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival. Can't remember if that was 2004, 2005 or 2006.

Don't have time to reduce the poster so just link to it if you don't mind.

http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles/Eagles_Walsh/PJoePRSsmall.jpg

Very cool poster!!!! :)

Yeah a PRS is something I don't have so I think that's what I'll get.

MikeA
11-15-2010, 12:38 PM
Well Austin, I've put in a bid on a new interface. I'm trying for a Line-6 UX2. It's the older model that comes with Gearbox software instead of PodFarm but the TonePort is the same other than for a different colored face (new is black and the old is red).

I want to get this because it has phantom power (48+ volts) built in to power up to two condenser microphones that require that phantom power. It'll handle two Z-level inputs too (guitars).

I've told you that I have a Peavey PV8 mixing board but the only thing I really use it for is to power my mics before routing them to the DI interface. I can eliminate that mixing board with the UX2. I could do it with the UX1 as well, but I'd like to have the ability to be able to record two instruments simultaneously if I ever make a friend and have them over for a jam.

I've been fighting latency issues on my father-in-laws computer. I took the TonePort DI that I have to his computer and installed it. Worked great after I downloaded the Win-7 drivers. However, there was a latency issue on his setup that was just unacceptable. I tweaked it by increasing buffers and lowering sampling rates and other things within the software.

However, I overlooked the obvious! Eliminate the freaking Sound Card Completely. When I built his computer, I didn't install a sound card so it is using some MoBo based Creative firmware and it isn't efficient at all. So, when I get back in town, I'm going to disable his mobo sound completely and go 100% with the TonePort DI for both input and output. I'll have to get a stereo 1/4" to 1/8" (3.5mm ??) adapter so that he can plug his external desktop computer speakers into it, but that's no issue. And he'll have to have the Gearbox software running all the time I think, but that's no issue with his powerhouse! I built that puter with far more power than Clair will ever need and loaded it up with 4gb of memory and a dual core processor. The case is large and roomy with more fans in it than a Lowe's mega mart! I have not overclocked his cpu yet but have that option though I'd probably need to go with a more powerful heatsink and fan for the CPU. Don't want to go liquid on him though I'd like to try that out myself some day!

Oh, on the auction, I'm Snipeing it for a lowball bid that may be higher than the casual bidders who are trying to get it for $50. Those are $200 interfaces and I figure if I can get it for around half price, it'll be a bargain. Auction ends today so I don't have to wait long to see if my snipe wins.

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 05:10 PM
I hope you win the bid Mike!! That Line 6 sounds pretty cool...

I've recently seen in pics that the Eagles have a Line 6 tube amp on their stage, and I had to do a double take because I wouldn't have thought they would use them, but they do have a Line 6 on stage. Of course I don't know who's it is or what it's used for.

MikeA
11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Probably Joe's.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=12&pictureid=170

WalshFan88
11-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Probably Joe's.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=12&pictureid=170

That was my guess.

MikeA
11-15-2010, 10:56 PM
I did get the win on the UX2 digital interface. I was hoping to get it a little cheaper than I did, but $102 including shipping is still a lot better than the $200 it sells for new.

I think that the software models that the one I bought comes with (GearBox) might not be a "pretty" as the PodFarm software that is packaged with the new units, but I've heard that a lot of people actually prefer Gearbox because they think the models are more realistic...closer to the real amps it is modeling.

Anyway, I have the Silver Bundle that gives a lot of additional options in effects and amps with the Gearbox that I got with the TonePort DI-s that I'm giving to my Father-in-law. I can port all of those effects into the UX2 setups.

Anxious to get it and start playing around with it. Also am going to HAVE to go up and get things straightened out on Clair's computer. I know it is just a matter of bypassing his mobo sound card stuff and maybe tweaking the sampling rates to eliminate the latency. I think the mixer will solve the low recording levels of his microphones.

MikeA
11-15-2010, 11:03 PM
I think Joe likes anything having to do with guitars as far as gear goes. I really liked what he said once. <paraphrased> I play a lot of different guitars and frequently get asked which one I like best. I have to ask "for what"? He then went on to say that he normally wouldn't take say a classic 59 LP and raise the action and load it with .013 wire to use to play slide on! But other than that, he looks to a guitar to produce the tone he is looking for for a particular song or "movement" within a song.

Here's an ad of him posing with a Parker.

http://mvabercrombie.net/walsheagles/Eagles_Walsh/PJoeParker.jpg

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Glad to hear you won the Line 6!!! :)

Yeah I'm like Joe, I have guitars for certain songs, and that's what I use them for.

WalshFan88
11-16-2010, 06:45 AM
This is the pic of the PRS I'm pretty sure I'm getting! :)

http://i54.tinypic.com/2uqk3fs.jpg

MikeA
11-16-2010, 11:29 AM
PRS and Carvin both have some real eye-candy. Those quilt tops and flame tops are amazing....the kind of finishes you'd like to crawl into.

I have a good friend down in Little Rock who sort of collects guitars. His two prizes are an old LP and a 335. He keeps them in their cases with the strings loosened. Pulls them out about once a month and tunes them up and plays a couple of chords and then loosens them back up and puts them back in the case.

I could never do that. If I buy a guitar, I'm gonna play the thing! And I'll play 'em LOUD too. <LOL>

WalshFan88
11-17-2010, 04:40 AM
PRS and Carvin both have some real eye-candy. Those quilt tops and flame tops are amazing....the kind of finishes you'd like to crawl into.

I have a good friend down in Little Rock who sort of collects guitars. His two prizes are an old LP and a 335. He keeps them in their cases with the strings loosened. Pulls them out about once a month and tunes them up and plays a couple of chords and then loosens them back up and puts them back in the case.

I could never do that. If I buy a guitar, I'm gonna play the thing! And I'll play 'em LOUD too. <LOL>

I agree, I'd play 'em too!

WalshFan88
11-19-2010, 01:55 AM
Well tonight I ordered the PRS. I can't wait to play it Christmas Eve night. I'm gonna wait to play it then. But I'll definitely snap one pic of it when it comes next week when I inspect it to make sure it arrived safely.

MikeA
11-19-2010, 11:46 AM
I just built my Carvin. CT624 Deep Tiger on Quilted with maple neck and fingerboard and Quilted headstock. Standard black C22 pups. Chrome hardware. Chose no inlays on the fingerboard...just dots on the sides. $1,902 I think it came out to. God is it ever Beautiful! So tempted to just press Place Order! <LOL>

But alas, I didn't bring down the Casinos this week....I just paid their light bills. Have to hit Megabucks I guess.

Exciting to hear you got the PRS on the way! Anxious to hear you playing it. Would also like to hear you rip it up on the Carvin.

The one I "built" would look something like this except it would have a maple fretboard and double stripped neck.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=14&pictureid=867

MikeA
11-19-2010, 12:00 PM
Go back and take another look. One of those blocked embedded links thingies.

MikeA
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
It's still not there? I saved the image and put it into my photo album here on Border. Should be showing up. At least I "see" it. But maybe it's in my head only. Try hitting "refresh" to clear your cashe

tequila girl
11-19-2010, 12:13 PM
I can see it.....Nice!:)

MikeA
11-19-2010, 12:22 PM
Having never played nor heard this guitar, I'd say that my choices were only for the "eye-candy" effect at this point. Sort of pricey considering that you can buy "in-stock" guitars from Carvin for near $700 less.

MikeA
11-20-2010, 05:38 PM
Well, well....my Father-in-law had a bit of a surprise when I went up to try and overcome that latency issue with his Win-7 computer. He was strumming away on a new 12-string. He bought it Thursday night and it was delivered to him Friday night! I think probably from Musician's Friend but I don't really recall him saying where he got it. He paid $179 for an Epiphone NEW.

Plays really nice too. Love it. It is a completely unplugged instrument right now. Don't know if he'll drop a pickup in it or not.

WalshFan88
11-20-2010, 06:55 PM
I hope you get the Carvin Mike!

I will gladly make a Carvin video for you this evening. I just got back in from visiting relatives and have been waiting to do a video anyway.

MikeA
11-21-2010, 10:03 PM
No chance. None at all Austin. I wasn't at all serious about the Carvin no matter how much I admire them. Unlike you, I cannot justify it or any guitar as a "tool of the trade". For me, they are "only" luxuries I indulge myself with every once in a while. Oh, I play them. A lot. But I pretty much have a variety that covers the gambit in tones. If I were serious about a new guitar, it would be a 12-string. Possibly just an acoustic, but possibly a low end electric. But even that is not something that I'd be running to Guitar Center for. More likely would be some hot rodded pups for my Epiphone Sheraton II. I really would like to get a set of 57's for it.

WalshFan88
11-21-2010, 10:40 PM
No chance. None at all Austin. I wasn't at all serious about the Carvin no matter how much I admire them. Unlike you, I cannot justify it or any guitar as a "tool of the trade". For me, they are "only" luxuries I indulge myself with every once in a while. Oh, I play them. A lot. But I pretty much have a variety that covers the gambit in tones. If I were serious about a new guitar, it would be a 12-string. Possibly just an acoustic, but possibly a low end electric. But even that is not something that I'd be running to Guitar Center for. More likely would be some hot rodded pups for my Epiphone Sheraton II. I really would like to get a set of 57's for it.

Oh sorry, didn't know you were joking. I will try to upload my Carvin video tomorrow for you to listen to for fun.

WalshFan88
11-22-2010, 07:53 AM
I just tracked my new PRS - it should get here tomorrow. I'm gonna open it up and inspect it and take a pic of it in the case and then put it away until Christmas. I'll post a pic of it so you can see what it looks like. I can't wait to bring it onstage and watch my other guitar player go :thud: LOL!

MikeA
11-22-2010, 08:43 AM
I wouldn't say I was "joking" Austin. More like "Jonesing" for it! That's how I spend the hours in Vegas when I'm not at the Blackjack tables.....looking and lusting at guitars. Preverted, huh? I mean there ARE other "things" to look at in Vegas!

Looking forward to your demo of the Carvin and am getting pretty danged excited about your PRS!

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 02:30 AM
Well, first off - sorry for the delay on the Carvin video. I've been really busy lately and I promise to do it over Thanksgiving!

Second, here is my new PRS. I gave in and played it for five minutes. I'm not kidding, it's the best guitar I own. It plays like the best butter out there, sounds like angels, and looks like a Playboy model... Ok, well, that might be exaggerating! :hilarious: As promised, here are two pics!

http://i54.tinypic.com/9rls7o.jpg

http://i52.tinypic.com/a3mohy.jpg

I can't wait til Christmas to do a video for everyone. It's certainly my new pride and joy! :D

tequila girl
11-24-2010, 04:48 AM
It looks great Austin - you're going to be the envy of all your band-mates!
I'm so glad it's lived up to your expectations! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 05:53 AM
It looks great Austin - you're going to be the envy of all your band-mates!
I'm so glad it's lived up to your expectations! :thumbsup:

Thanks! :)

MikeA
11-24-2010, 09:28 AM
Well, you are in the house with Santana now. That's all he plays...PRS.

SWEET!

The finish on that is ART. One of my favorites. You must be a man with a will of IRON to be able to wait until Christmas to shower love and affection on it.

I know it won't wait.

I'm just gonna look at it
I'm only going to dust it off
Oops, I touched it!
Well heck, it won't hurt anything if I just handle it a little.
Okay, there's not much difference in holding it and playing it
WHAM...."Black Magic Woman!"

That'll all tomorrow if it hasn't already happened. Don't feel guilty. I wouldn't.

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Well, you are in the house with Santana now. That's all he plays...PRS.

SWEET!

The finish on that is ART. One of my favorites. You must be a man with a will of IRON to be able to wait until Christmas to shower love and affection on it.

I know it won't wait.

I'm just gonna look at it
I'm only going to dust it off
Oops, I touched it!
Well heck, it won't hurt anything if I just handle it a little.
Okay, there's not much difference in holding it and playing it
WHAM...."Black Magic Woman!"

That'll all tomorrow if it hasn't already happened. Don't feel guilty. I wouldn't.

I can't lie - I'm already at step 5. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

To be honest I've played it all night and haven't even slept yet since when I woke up yesterday morning. I'm in love. It's the best guitar I own. Huge fan of PRS now. I still love all of my guitars, but the Custom PRS is on a level of it's own. I read online just the pickups go for $800. The pickups are probably the best ones I have heard. They say that they got the original machines from Gibson that they used to make pickups for LP's in the 50s and have the original machines and NOS wire to make them. No wonder they sound so damn good! They really are amazing 59 LP copies.

The first thing I played was Life's Been Good and thats when my jaw officially hit the floor, but I was in awe from the second I opened the case and looked at that top. Let's just say if this guitar was a woman...nevermind. Anyway, I was saying (:D) that it's absolutely incredibly amazing. Brings a smile to my face to talk about it.

It's definitely making my hands and ears VERY happy! I knew I'd cave in. It exceeded my expectations by far. I've waited a long time to get a "really nice" guitar and I wanted to become better at playing and get settled with my band before I bought one. I'm SO glad I did. Merry Christmas to me! I'm very happy!

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 10:01 AM
Heh heh heh, you've been hanging around Mike way too long:hilarious:

:rofl: I thought I put that in small print so that wasn't visible! Guess not. :hilarious:

MikeA
11-24-2010, 10:13 AM
I'd no doubt Austin! Peeps are only human and when faced with an implement of the Gods, we are vulnerable.

That really is a beautiful git. Love the shape, the contours and the finish. I can only imagine how she feels and sounds.

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 10:16 AM
I'd no doubt Austin! Peeps are only human and when faced with an implement of the Gods, we are vulnerable.

That really is a beautiful git. Love the shape, the contours and the finish. I can only imagine how she feels and sounds.

It's amazing. It's still got that new lacquer smell too which I really like! Not to mention the new case smell! :hilarious:

MikeA
11-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Is it "officially non-virgin?" I mean, have you ripped the plastic off finish protection off it? Hmmm, since it had no plectrum-guard, it might have been delivered to you without the.....oh heck, I'd better stop with this analogy NOW before I get in trouble!

MikeA
11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
On a side note, I got confirmation that my UX2 interface has finally been shipped. I should get it Friday. I did not realize how much I missed one of those interfaces! The only option I have now is recording into my sound card and using a $10 Chat type computer microphone to pick up the signal. It sounds HORRIBLE! I took my 1/4" to 1/8" adapter up to my Father-in-law's to accommodate his microphones and I only had one <LOL>

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 04:52 PM
Is it "officially non-virgin?" I mean, have you ripped the plastic off finish protection off it? Hmmm, since it had no plectrum-guard, it might have been delivered to you without the.....oh heck, I'd better stop with this analogy NOW before I get in trouble!

:rofl: I did take the plastic off of the backplate and pickup covers. LOL!

WalshFan88
11-24-2010, 04:53 PM
On a side note, I got confirmation that my UX2 interface has finally been shipped. I should get it Friday. I did not realize how much I missed one of those interfaces! The only option I have now is recording into my sound card and using a $10 Chat type computer microphone to pick up the signal. It sounds HORRIBLE! I took my 1/4" to 1/8" adapter up to my Father-in-law's to accommodate his microphones and I only had one <LOL>

Great! I think you will really like it! :) I still am tinkering around with mine.

MikeA
11-24-2010, 04:59 PM
This past Saturday when Clair was shoving that new 12-string of his into my arms, I noticed right off that the plastic was still stuck to the pick-guard. I've GOT to get that crap off so I can see it without any opaqueness obscuring it!

I was reading up on the UX2 today (instead of working like I should be doing!) and saw that it has pedal plugs that supposedly interface with the GearBox software. I just wonder if any pedal would work without introducing distortions into the loop.

What I would hope would be that it would act as the controller for the Effects in Gearbox allowing you to like kick in the distortion or phaser or whatever other effects you had dialed into the mix in the software. That would be really cool.

I have a "on-off" footswitch on my VOX that I may be able to include in the "effects return".

I also noticed that while you can record two separate channels but can't record two instruments directly. But you can plug in one guitar directly into the UX2 and then mic an amp for someone else to come into the mix with and there are separate Gearbox controls for the two channels and they record as separate tracks! How cool is that?

MikeA
11-24-2010, 05:30 PM
It looks like YOU also have the footswitch option with your UX1 Austin. If you have a channel switch for example with your Fender, you might be able to plug it into your UX1 and control functions within the PodFarm or GearBox plugins.

Footswitches - If you want to use one or two on/off toggle or momentary footswitches to remotely
control functions in the GearBox software, you can plug the 1/4-inch footswitch plugs into these 1
and 2 jacks. To configure each Footswitch, go to the GearBox Preferences. For TonePort UX1, UX2,
and KB37, you can also use these footswitches to trigger recording and playback commands within the
included Ableton Live®
Lite software

WalshFan88
11-25-2010, 02:27 AM
It looks like YOU also have the footswitch option with your UX1 Austin. If you have a channel switch for example with your Fender, you might be able to plug it into your UX1 and control functions within the PodFarm or GearBox plugins.

Footswitches - If you want to use one or two on/off toggle or momentary footswitches to remotely
control functions in the GearBox software, you can plug the 1/4-inch footswitch plugs into these 1
and 2 jacks. To configure each Footswitch, go to the GearBox Preferences. For TonePort UX1, UX2,
and KB37, you can also use these footswitches to trigger recording and playback commands within the
included Ableton Live®
Lite software

My Twin isn't a 2 channel amp in the sense there is no clean and drive channel. You have clean with no vibrato or reverb, or clean with vibrato or reverb. The Twin is a completely clean amp that is too loud to crank unless you are playing Arena's so you have to have an overdrive pedal in order to get a dirty sound. So therefore my amp doesn't have a channel switcher but a old style reverb/vibrato on-off switch. Not sure if it would work.

MikeA
11-25-2010, 08:39 AM
Not sure if it would work.

Can't hurt to try it. Aside from the lesser quality (IMO) of the digital effects, the thing I didn't like about the TonePort DI and GearBox was the fact that I couldn't change effects by stomping on something. You had to stop playing and recording and "twiddle" some knob or button with a mouse.

Now I tried operating my mouse with my feet, but it didn't work well. I got the stomp thing down with it but the dang thing would move off the button as soon as I crushed it!

The Footswitch on my VOX has two momentary buttons on it. One is to turn the effects on and off and the other is to switch between two presets that I have created and stored. The two presets I have in the memory now are a Clean tubey with reverb and chorus and the other is a Nasty distorted model.

Either of the switches on my Vox should act as a momentary interruption that the UX2 can recognize. Hope so anyway.

There are effects there that I don't have.....lots of them.

WalshFan88
11-25-2010, 11:09 AM
Can't hurt to try it. Aside from the lesser quality (IMO) of the digital effects, the thing I didn't like about the TonePort DI and GearBox was the fact that I couldn't change effects by stomping on something. You had to stop playing and recording and "twiddle" some knob or button with a mouse.

Now I tried operating my mouse with my feet, but it didn't work well. I got the stomp thing down with it but the dang thing would move off the button as soon as I crushed it!

The Footswitch on my VOX has two momentary buttons on it. One is to turn the effects on and off and the other is to switch between two presets that I have created and stored. The two presets I have in the memory now are a Clean tubey with reverb and chorus and the other is a Nasty distorted model.

Either of the switches on my Vox should act as a momentary interruption that the UX2 can recognize. Hope so anyway.

There are effects there that I don't have.....lots of them.

I will try it here in a bit. Right now I'm watching Macy's Day Parade. :hilarious: