PDA

View Full Version : Gearhead

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

MikeA
03-14-2011, 11:41 AM
You might not like the tone Austin since I did like it. Nothing derogatory there but our tastes in acoustic sound is very different. But I really loved everything about the guitar other than its lack of volume. At the time I was searching for a stage guitar, I needed one with pickups in it and the Tacoma I auditioned didn't have electronics of any kind in it.

I know, I could have added a pickup easily, but I was on a mission and needed a guitar YESTERDAY for a session at a church I was attending at the time. I had the choice of buying the Tacoma and then getting it fitted with a piazo bridge pickup for $699 I think plus the pickup and labor, or I could get the used Seagull that was ready to go for $300 (with fitted hardshell case). I chose the Seagull and though I like the Seagull, I have since regretted not buying the Tacoma.

WalshFan88
03-14-2011, 12:08 PM
The Tacoma looked nice Mike.

As far as my acoustic tastes, they are different than yours but there is nothing wrong with that! :) Mine are the sounds of the Eagles acoustic guitars. Basically my tastes are that of Glenn Frey's and the sounds he has created on record (TIE, PEF, TS, LE, NKIT, etc) Bright, ringing, jangly, and LOUD (resonant). Also like a lot of midrange where the guitar really cuts through and stands out. I don't hear a lot of bass in the Eagles acoustic songs, hence the reason I go for more brighter midrangey guitars that cut through a mix life a knife through butter. But that's just me.

But what's funny is I want the exact OPPOSITE for my electric guitar sound tone. Fat, full, chunky with a lot of bass and less in the mids. Less mids for chording/riffing, and step on a Midboost for solo's to cut through. I like my electric guitars to sound beefy and real warm. Can't stand brightness on an electric, but yet, thats what I crave for an acoustic. Funny how that works sometimes! :)

MikeA
03-14-2011, 12:28 PM
It's been a long time...like 12 years...since I played that Tacoma. But from what I recall, it had a lot of mid and the top end was brighter than most. Don't know if it would have suited your tastes or not. I can't recall it being heavy on the bass. At least unplugged.

The one Joe uses on tour is not a good example of a Tacoma Chief. The one Joe plays is a Baritone guitar....completely different sound.

MikeA
03-15-2011, 11:14 AM
Ahhh, I wish I had a half grand to spend on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tacoma-Chief-Acoustic-guitar-/150576465300?pt=Guitar&hash=item230f0e8594#ht_12064wt_1762

It is identical with the one I played....no electronics in it. Because of the shape of the sound hole, a removable active pickup probably wouldn't work so you'd have to go with a piazo pickup under the saddle with a strap button connection. It would be tricky but a good luthier could handle it I'm sure.

For a grand, this one is really a beauty and has electronics

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tacoma-CKK9C-Koa-Chief-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-w-Case-/260749963837?pt=Guitar&hash=item3cb5e8b23d#ht_3985wt_1048

WalshFan88
03-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Very nice Mike!

MikeA
03-15-2011, 09:16 PM
Kind of got a shocking eMail from work late this afternoon. Some pencil pusher drew my number from the squirrel cage I guess. She said that it had been 4 years since my laptop had been upgraded and what did I want on my new one?

WHAT??? There's nothing wrong with my existing laptop. Surely there was some mistake. I eMailed my boss and asked her opinion since I'm quite sure the expense comes out of our Oh-So-Tight budget. That was the second shock.

She said that I didn't "have" to upgrade, but it would be my a$$ if I didn't and something happened to my old reliable laptop!

So, I guess I'm going to "have" to upgrade. It's nothing exciting because the computer is so locked down with encryption and security that I can't even look at web-based eMail with it. Can't copy files from the work computer to my personal or visa-versa. Can't even set my own wall-paper and screen saver! I might as well be a green-screen 3278 wired directly into the mainframe.

But it will be a Windows-7 OS.....yipee (that's bah-humbug sarcasm!)

I might squeeze a new LCD monitor out of the deal if I hold the lemon right. Wouldn't mind getting a 22" panel. I'm using a 19" CRT now on my work computer. It's at least 6 years old if my old laptop is 4 years old. I've had it forever.

Oh, and a BTW:

That staff in my signature is supposed to be the musical signature for "Bb" but I got the flat on the "C" line instead of the "B" and was too lazy to go in and fix it.

WalshFan88
03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Kind of got a shocking eMail from work late this afternoon. Some pencil pusher drew my number from the squirrel cage I guess. She said that it had been 4 years since my laptop had been upgraded and what did I want on my new one?

WHAT??? There's nothing wrong with my existing laptop. Surely there was some mistake. I eMailed my boss and asked her opinion since I'm quite sure the expense comes out of our Oh-So-Tight budget. That was the second shock.

She said that I didn't "have" to upgrade, but it would be my a$$ if I didn't and something happened to my old reliable laptop!

So, I guess I'm going to "have" to upgrade. It's nothing exciting because the computer is so locked down with encryption and security that I can't even look at web-based eMail with it. Can't copy files from the work computer to my personal or visa-versa. Can't even set my own wall-paper and screen saver! I might as well be a green-screen 3278 wired directly into the mainframe.

But it will be a Windows-7 OS.....yipee (that's bah-humbug sarcasm!)

I might squeeze a new LCD monitor out of the deal if I hold the lemon right. Wouldn't mind getting a 22" panel. I'm using a 19" CRT now on my work computer. It's at least 6 years old if my old laptop is 4 years old. I've had it forever.

Oh, and a BTW:

That staff in my signature is supposed to be the musical signature for "Bb" but I got the flat on the "C" line instead of the "B" and was too lazy to go in and fix it.

Hey Mike - it could be worse. It could have Windows Vista on it! ;) Windows 7 isn't that bad really. Sure, its different than XP but 7 is so much better than Vista, and has new features XP doesn't have.

MikeA
03-16-2011, 08:21 AM
I know Austin. I put Win7 on my father-in-law's computer...the one that I built up from new parts.

The frustrating thing is that with the security lock-down my company puts on the computers they provide workers, we can do very little with the OS to take advantage of the innovations in the OS. It's like having a Ferrari that is delivered to you with a governor limiting you to 60mph.

MikeA
03-16-2011, 11:06 AM
This is just a drop-dead gorgeous PRS Custom 24! At $4200 + 99 shipping, it should be!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1990-Paul-Reed-Smith-Custom-24-10-Top-Brazilian-PRS-/120678782960?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c190417f0#ht_26487wt_1141

The pic probably won't be available for long.

http://i872.photobucket.com/albums/ab288/EmbedTheWidget1/1990%20Paul%20Reed%20Smith%20Custom%2024%20Tortois e%20Shell%20Braz/SDC19013.jpg

WalshFan88
03-16-2011, 11:24 AM
Very nice PRS Mike. I think they are great instruments. Great tone and great playability.

MikeA
03-16-2011, 11:48 AM
There were two or three on eBay that caught my eye, but this one in particular did. While the body of the guitar is unbelievable, it is the NECK that really drew my eye! Such beautiful woodgrain and "brightness" to the fingerboard!

WalshFan88
03-16-2011, 11:59 AM
There were two or three on eBay that caught my eye, but this one in particular did. While the body of the guitar is unbelievable, it is the NECK that really drew my eye! Such beautiful woodgrain and "brightness" to the fingerboard!

When I was going through the guitars on Private Reserve, looking at pics. There were two models. Same specs identical. But this one had the best top but was 2lbs heavier than the other one. The other one was no bad lookin' guitar either. But this one just had that magical looking flame top. Droolworthy. So I picked that. The thing I love about Musician's Friend Private Reserve dept is that they QC EVERY guitar and do a complete pro setup on every guitar before it goes out the door, so essentially your guitar will go through 2 QC checkpoints and have 2 pro setups (one at the factory, and one at the dealer) before getting to you. My PRS came to me playing like butter. And that it does. It practically plays itself.

MikeA
03-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Sweetwater is a lot like that too Austin. They are meticulous in setup. But no matter how finicky they are with the setup, there is only so much they can do to individualize a guitar for a particular musician.

The LP I got from them was done well and was spot on in intonation. But not exactly what I am comfortable with. I lower the strings quite a bit and adjusted the heights of the pickups. Then it "fit me".

Same thing with the Telecaster. I had to adjust the strings and did have to mess with the intonation twice. Once for the new string height when I first got it and then again when I switched to the Hybrid Slinkys.

That sort of setup is something that just can't be generically done.

Of all the guitars I've owned, the one that has needed the least amount of adjustment by me was my Epiphone Sheraton II. I bought it used and the previous owner must have tastes very similar to mine. I've done very VERY little to that guitar and truth be told, it still "feels" better than any of my guitars to me. Part of that is the shape of the neck. I love it! Love it much better than the fat neck on my LP. The Tele feels most like the EPI but there is something "different" about it. It is not "bad" but it just doesn't have the "feel" of the EPI.

I think I just got one of those one-in-a-thousand Epiphones.

WalshFan88
03-17-2011, 01:12 PM
Some took a picture of me with my PRS. Really showcases that flame on the top of the guitar.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2uol3lw.jpg

MikeA
03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
You definitely scored a Custom 24 with a beautiful finish Austin. I love that deep red translucent finish. I like the flame and also like the quilt finishes. Don't know which I like best, they are so close in appeal to me.

I'd really like to get hold of one with the Narrowfield Pickups on it just to see what they really sound like. I've listened to the demo of the pups but it's really almost impossible to get a feel for anything acoustic from the internet. Certainly not as compared to playing around on your own equipment.

WalshFan88
03-18-2011, 04:21 AM
I'd really like to get hold of one with the Narrowfield Pickups on it just to see what they really sound like. I've listened to the demo of the pups but it's really almost impossible to get a feel for anything acoustic from the internet. Certainly not as compared to playing around on your own equipment.

Agreed.

WalshFan88
03-18-2011, 04:51 AM
It's a Lynyrd Skynyrd tshirt. One of my favorite bands of all time.

MikeA
03-18-2011, 08:05 AM
I picked this up in a pawnshop the other day and forgot to mention it. It gives me a lot of flexibility in tone without having to resort to a stompbox.

Pretty much has it all. 4-string and a 5-string bass...something I've needed for a long time now. And I've always wanted to try an 7-string and have needed a 12-string forever!

I admit though that it takes a forklift and elastic arms to play it.

http://mvabercrombie.net/Sixneck.jpg

AzEaglesFan
03-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Yah, Mike I want to see a picture too. What kind of strap do you use on it or do you have to set it on a music stand to play it. :eyebrow:

MikeA
03-18-2011, 01:24 PM
DISCLAIMER: Just in case anyone thought I actually HAD this monster: It was intended as a joke. I just found a picture of it.

I think someone actually built it though I seriously doubt anyone could actually play it.

As wide as it is, you would have to rest it on the floor. It would be too heavy for anyone other than King Kong to "wear" in any normal fashion. I'm guessing that it was either computer graphics magic that rendered the image, or it was built by someone as a novelty...likely a Pawn Shop or some Guitar Shop.

The shop window in the background has a guitar in it and the way it is leaned against that post, I presume that some musician with a camera saw it in the store and thought it so outrageous that he took a picture of it.

WalshFan88
03-18-2011, 05:22 PM
Rick Nielsen of Cheap Trick uses a 5 neck Hamer on songs like "Surrender" live LOL.

http://www.guitargallows.com/bios/biophotos/Rick_Nielsen.jpg

MikeA
03-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Alls I gots to say is "them's one of them thangs I ain't got no need fer!"

There are definitely alternatives that are a LOT more practical. Carlos Santana uses a "stand" that holds a guitar in a set position so all he has to do and slide the guitar he's playing out of the way and stand up to the one on the stand and start playing! I could see having one guitar slung on my shoulder and 5 mounted on ready to play stands during a live performance.

But having one with 5 or 6 necks on it is just nothing more than a gimmic in my humble opinion!

WalshFan88
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Alls I gots to say is "them's one of them thangs I ain't got no need fer!"

There are definitely alternatives that are a LOT more practical. Carlos Santana uses a "stand" that holds a guitar in a set position so all he has to do and slide the guitar he's playing out of the way and stand up to the one on the stand and start playing! I could see having one guitar slung on my shoulder and 5 mounted on ready to play stands during a live performance.

But having one with 5 or 6 necks on it is just nothing more than a gimmic in my humble opinion!

I think it's cool but it's just MY humble opinion.

Besides they look cool and are fun to watch - and that's what a rock n' roll show is about. I'm all about 70s classic, southern, and hard rock. Screaming distorted amps and Les Pauls. That's my kind of thing. I'm a rock n' roll guy at heart. I will even go as far to say I probably wouldn't be not NEAR as much of an Eagles fan if they hadn't made the move from more country rock to true straightahead Classic Rock in '76 with Hotel California with Joe Walsh and then later with The Long Run. But again, I'm a rock and roll guy. 70s is my stuff.

I think it looks cool on stage. Practical - not really, but it looks cool and gets audience members off (especially those that love guitar) at thats what REALLY matters at a rock show. Practicality gets thrown out of the window at a rock concert, as it should. In the studio I'd find it a gimmick but I love rock shows with a lot of cool stuff. Like guitars with different shapes, dry ice, smoke bombs, cannons (like in AC/DC's show), blow up women (also in AC/DC's show), and all of that. It just adds to the enjoyment for me. I'd be pretty bored if someone was just standing still not moving. Even live today, Joe will move around and have fun and that's one of the reasons I like him so much. As far as Santana's stand...well at a rock show people want to be entertained. Which is more fun to watch, a guy with a 5 neck guitar tearing up a solo or a guy standing still playing a guitar on a stand?! :hilarious: It's the former, really. Cheap Trick is a rock band. And they are there to be entertainers. JMO. It's something I wouldn't want to see at a classic rock show, especially if the band is on the harder side of classic rock. That's me. It would be great for Santana though I'm sure. Rick Nielsen is a fabulous guitar player and is a rocker. He plays a 5 neck and tears it up. It's all about the entertainment. Just like how AC/DC shoots off cannons during "For Those About To Rock" live, which I have seen and enjoyed. It's just all taste though.

You sound more like a blues/jazz guy and light rock - and there is nothing wrong with that but I just like the more classic rock stuff from the 70s. (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Cheap Trick, Def Leppard, Journey, even 80s stuff like REO and Styx). I'm from the sex, drugs, and rock n' roll era really. Late 70s/early 80s. I like the real overdriven guitars (but not metal distortion) and higher pitched vocals. But I like mellow stuff too, like the Eagles. I am all for a high powered theatrical rock show. But it's in my blood. I like blues ok, but I'm not a country fan or jazz fan honestly. I'm more suited for classic rock and hard rock. I'm blues based in my lead style, but I am a rock n' roll dude. It's just my upbringings and my favorite guitar sound. It's just what I prefer.

Just my opinion though. The 5 neck is for entertainment value, and that's what it does. It entertains people. Could he play "Surrender" on a Les Paul?! Sure, but it's cool to have those custom guitars like that. He has a guitar that is shaped like a human body too that is painted to look like him with a detachable head. I think it's cool, but again I love the whole rock show thing.

MikeA
03-19-2011, 09:31 AM
Yeah, Rock "can" be about the strangeness of weird guitars, biting the heads off bats (Ozzy Osbourne), theatrical performances (famous but I can't remember his name....weird guy...tons of makup..spandex...someone help me here!), performing with blood dripping (Alice Cooper), the fog, the cannons, the laser light shows....all that stuff has been done. But that has never been what drew me to concerts nor was it ever something that appealed to me when done on stage. It distracted me from what I went to the concert to experience....a favorite band performing material I'd heard on the radio.

The really good ones didn't require a spectacle to insure a huge following and be the great artists they are. Eagles didn't. Led Zep didn't. Clapton didn't. Joplin didn't. Hendrix did when he burned his guitar on stage (gimic because it was just lighter fluid that burned out without damaging the single neck Strat).

Oh, most all of them used effects onstage....the lights and dry ice. I just never thought layers of make-up and all the theatrics were necessary beyond the antics conveying the emotions of the performer.

The great ones are remembered for their music and that's what I go to a show for. Plays don't do it for me (I've only been to one and that was "Hair" way back in the day). Music moves me. That correctly implies that I do not sit with my arms locked across my chest firmly anchored to my seat! Quite the opposite. But I do appreciate the artists on stage working at their trade and being the best they can be. I love Walsh when he gets into his solos. He's obviously really into it.

I've never been to a Kiss concert. I do like some of their music but I have trouble keeping them separated from Queen for some reason.

As for Santana....he doesn't need 5-neck guitars. And when he's squeezing out every drop of soul from that PRS onstage and walks up to the Spanish acoustic mounted on the stand and slides that Custom behind his back and cranks out some of his amazing licks on that acoustic.....you never think about how you wish he had 4 or 5 necks on his guitar.

I remember a guy at Crossroads who brought an instrument to the stage that had things sticking out all over it....mandolins, guitars, sitars...looked like some mock-up of an arachnoid...and you know what? I can't remember his name or what he even looked like nor what style of music he played! I may have to pull out the DVD and refresh my memory.

I won't even address the "dope" angle. Trust me, there were illegal substances floating around back in the 60's and 70's <LOL> as well as great music.

I guess I've just never been one for huge spectacles. Gimme Woodstock! It qualified on the "HUGE" part <LOL> Quarter Million or maybe a Half Million PEOPLE who were there for the MUSIC...well, maybe the sex and drugs had something to do with it too.:hilarious:

WalshFan88
03-19-2011, 10:27 AM
I wouldn't say it made them less of a band if they did the cool effects Mike and that the ones who didn't were better. That's a little unfair. It's not about needing a 5 neck. I've seen the ones who do the effects play AMAZING music and sound great and in some cases better than the ones who don't. It's about putting on a fun show for the people that come to it. I like the Rock n Roll show stuff and so do many people. You can enjoy the music and enjoy the show. Quite frankly its a little boring to go to a ROCK SHOW and have them stand still and do nothing the whole time and not move around. I'm not saying every bad has to have 5 neck guitars, but I also don't think you should not like a band just because they do have some cool effects.

AC/DC is a legendary band. Aerosmith is a legendary band, etc. Cheap Trick is a great band. I go to concerts to be entertained. Which is one of the reasons I like the Rolling Stones so much, I love watching Keith play and Mick Jagger move around on stage and sing. I just like entertainment. I don't think its fair to say that if someone did put in theatrics that they are less of a good band compared to Zep or whoever. IMO, AC/DC, Aerosmith, GNR, etc were every bit as good as Zeppelin. They can play amazing music too, and they have.

I think it's very unfair to say that if a band has some cool effects and cool looking guitars that they are not as good as the ones who stand still and or don't do anything. As far as Santana goes - I've never been a big fan. I think it's just a taste difference in music. I'm a 70s/80s guy. I am attracted to the rock and roll show and all aspects of it, including the effects, the moves on stage, the cool guitars, etc. So just because AC/DC shoots off cannons makes them not as good as a band who doesn't?! LOL. I've seen AC/DC live and I can tell you, watching Angus Young run all up and down the stage tearing it up on his SG is a fun thing to watch and watch him do the Duckwalk and seeing the cannons and also the real big bell that the singer (Brian Johnson) hits during Hells Bells that drops from the ceiling. That doesn't make them any less of a band than one who doesn't do that.

I go for the music too, of course, but I like entertainment as well. But I think it's more than a little unfair to say that they are less of a band than the ones who do not. Maybe you just don't like the more late 70s classic rock. But to say that they are not as good as the "really great" bands because they don't do that is kind of unfair. I'm not saying you have to eat bats, but I also am saying there is nothing wrong with playing a 5 neck guitar to entertain the fans that have paid to come and see you. I'm not saying every guitarist has to have one but I also think it's not a bad thing at all. It's for entertainment. And I know I'm not the only one who thinks that. I think a lot of people like the entertainment. They don't NEED to move around and have effects, because they are great bands. But they do, to add to the entertainment value to their audience members. There is nothing wrong with that IMHO.

Yes the great ones are remembered for their music - I agree. But you seem to think that just because they move around or have some effects, that they can't be a great band or have great music and are automatically not as good as the ones who don't. And that I strongly disagree with. I've seen some amazing bands who have effects and move around a lot on stage blow away bands that do nothing and are like robots -they do nothing at all. But I can also like bands who don't have as much of effects, as long as they are "into" what they are doing. I go for the music too, but there is nothing wrong with some effects and it's not a gimmick in my opinion. It's to add to the show. They don't need it, they ARE great without it, but fans enjoy it and it adds to the show. And I think that is quite alright and is enjoyable for me.

Just my .02c here. I just feel like that was a little unfair of a post. I would put AC/DC up against any other band.... I've seen them live and it was my 2nd favorite concert of all time. And I'd put Angus and Malcolm's guitar playing up against any other guitarist anyday. They can hold their own IMO.

Woodstock would have been great to see, no doubt. But you seem like you aren't much of a classic rock (more 70s) fan. And that's ok, but I disagree with saying they aren't great because they do that. They don't need to do it in order to attract an audience, it just adds to the show. They are great enough on their own. I guarantee you, if AC/DC had a GREAT cannon shootoff and they were crappy musicians and played bad music, they wouldn't have one of the biggest selling albums of all time and had the biggest grossing tour from a couple of years ago. Effects on their own don't sustain a band. They have to have good music. But when you couple great music with effects, you get a great show and you can really get into the music and enjoy the FX.

I rest my case. :rofl:.

MikeA
03-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Ahhh, (ref my previous post!) Finally came to me....Ziggy Stardust (David Bowie)! The guy could really sing, but I felt like he couldn't decide whether he was an actor or whether he was a Rock God! Maybe he was both.

I've got to give this some serious thought. Pretty clear that you didn't understand where I was coming from and if you didn't Austin, then others reading this may get the wrong idea as well. I pretty much shoot from the hip and pay enough intention as I should have as to the way what I posted would read.

I didn't say (or at least didn't mean to say) that I didn't like bands simply because they went to the extremes in presentation with gimics that really don't improve their music. The truth is that for me, that kind of stuff DOES put me off. It really does distract me from the reason I went to the concert...and that was always and still is "to hear them present their talent MUSICALLY." If I want to see a play, I'll go to New York and hit Broadway. As I said, I've only been to one professional production..."Hair"...I went to that one because there was some good music in it, it was being raved about, and there were necked women in it <LOL> But it was a dramatized nutshell view of what many of my generation were going through so I did find it interesting.

Maybe the props and over the top stage antics associated with Rock Concerts appeal to some folks as much as does the music itself. And possibly, those theatrics might draw in an additional number of concert goers who might not come just for the music. The bands are not just into the game for the music...they also have to make a profit in order to stay alive and continue to hone their craft. If the ICONism such as the makeup and performances by KISS helped make them successful, then certainly it was the right thing for them to do. As I've already said, I like some of their music but would like them just as well if they removed the high heels and face paint and just sang and played!

It always hurt me (literally!) when I saw artists play amazing instrumentals and then take the instrument they just performed with and break it to pieces, pounding it to splinters on the stage floor. That didn't improve their music and for me, it took away from my enjoyment of the next piece they performed because I was thinking about that busted guitar that I'd have loved to have been able to afford! In particular, I think of Pete Townshend of "The Who". That is about the ONLY thing about Townshend I didn't like....loved his music!

I like the Stones, but I'm actually put off by the strutting/swagger Mick Jagger does. That's his thing though....he's always done it and he always will. It doesn't take away from his ability to give the best he's got to the audience and I tolerate it for that reason. I'd like his vocals just as much if he trimmed it back a few notches. I KNOW it is about "presentation" and quite obviously, his presentation appeals to a LOT of people...just not to me.

I guess that when it comes down to it, when I go to a concert, I go for the music and really, not for anything else. I like the Eagles because they don't throw anything at you but their amazing music. I would like them a lot less if Glenn Frey shattered his black Les Paul while destroying Don Henley's drumkit. Or if Timothy B Schmit walked up to the mic with a quarter inch of stage paint with tribal markings. That would distract me. Yet, when Eagles perform, they are not statues going through the motions with no feeling for what they are doing. It's obvious that they take great pride in their craft....every one of them past and present in the band. That is one reason I really like them. I came to the show to be entertained and I have been entertained by each and every one of the 18 Eagles concerts I've attended going back to 1977.

I enjoy attending Eagles concerts every bit as much as I enjoy listening to them on CD or DVD. I can't say the same about some of the groups.

I do understand the psychology of artists in their need to be "different". Joe Walsh has shown up for gigs with weird hats, fancy belts, leather pants, fringed coats. He's unique to us common folks. But he is not unique in that aspect compared to other performers. I guess it is a matter of degree. But in essence with Joe, it is all about the music. He's into it and doesn't use a lot of props to put on a mesmerizing performance. It's his music that does it.

I'm not saying that bands who do indulge in those extravaganzas have no musical talent or even that in order to be successful, they HAVE to do the extremes. Not at all. It actually does it for some folks....I'm just not one of those folks.

I'll listen to their music if they are good and their music appeals to me. I'll listen to it on CD or the Radio, but if it is on DVD, I'll likely not be watching it. And it would be pretty unlikely that I'd spend money to go to one of their concerts.

This is about ME though and not the bands. Whatever rings your bell as a concert goer. Obviously, a lot of people attend Aerosmith concerts. I've never been to one but I do have a LOT of their music.

There's probably a point somewhere in the middle of our two views Austin and I hope others ring in on this. It is an interesting discussion that probably shouldn't be in the GEARHEAD thread <LOL>

WalshFan88
03-19-2011, 01:35 PM
I go mainly for the music Mike, but there is nothing wrong with a bit of fun and entertainment though either. I just didn't like the fact that you made it sound like the bands who really put on a show are not as good as the ones who don't...As I said before, I'd put AC/DC, Aerosmith, The Stones, etc up against any other band. They are legendary. Millions of people love them. That is true. I just felt like you were kind of bashing those bands. It's fine to say that it isn't for you, but I don't think it's fair to say that because Cheap Trick uses 5 neck guitars and 12 string basses (yes they do) they must not be as good as "insert name here" who doesn't do that just because they like 5 neck guitars. And that is what I have a problem with. But it sounds like that wasn't your intention. My bad.

I'm just stating my opinion here. And mine is that there is nothing wrong with stage antics, special effects, smoke machines, blow up characters, or cannons. It just ADDS to what they already HAVE. They are great enough on their own. If they did a great light show and played crappy music, no one would go. Millions of people go to Aerosmith or whoever's shows (AC/DC, Cheap Trick, etc). So they are great on their own. They just like to add a bit of spice to the show with some cool stage effects. If they were all flair and no substance no one would go. It's just taking great music and having some fun with it and spicing things up onstage. That is all. Being a more 70s classic rock/hard rock kinda guy - it's more my thing.

Like I said, I probably wouldn't be an Eagles fan today (or not near as much) if they hadn't made the move to straightahead classic rock in '76 with HC and got Joe Walsh in there. I am a Joe fan first and foremost - if he never got in the Eagles you probably wouldn't see me here to be honest. He is the reason I liked the Eagles from the beginning, his solo on HC is why I became an Eagles fan. I don't listen much to the early stuff. I like OTB and OOTN because of Felder. But I'm not a big fan of the Desperado album at all (too country), and their first album is kind of 50/50 for me. I enjoy their concerts, but I will say going by videos I prefer their 70s days when they would have more fun and things were more lighthearted. But that's just me and what I like.. Nothing wrong with that. I'm just more of a rocker type who likes that stuff.

Just a difference in music taste and opinion Mike. :) I like screaming guitars, loud amps, and stage antics. I'm not going to discuss it anymore but I just wanted to add my little blurb here. It's no big deal - just different tastes.

MikeA
03-21-2011, 09:13 PM
Time to start seriously thinking about getting a new computer build going. I'm locking up constantly and am sure I know what the problem is. I'm running to 60gb drives and one 40gb. All are IEEE drives...not the "new" SATA format that has set the new standard. You just can't get a large IEEE drive with it costing a fortune.

My primary operating system drive is one of the 60gb drives and it has only pretty much NO SPACE available on it....no room for paging....no virtual memory! It's spending all of its time paging in the tiny virtual space it does have available.

The other two drives are no less used up.

I'm looking at a desktop mid-tower arrangement with a Asus AMD MB and probably a dual core processor. I really don't need quad power. Heck, 95% of the people buying those Quad Core and 6-Core Processors don't really need them other than for bragging rights.

I'm not into Gaming so don't need $600 worth of Video and an overclocked Quad Intel processor. I may change my mind if I find a real good sale on an AMD quad-core. I'm not going to pay the Intel prices. I've yet to find anything that Intel does better than AMD except run faster on paper and carry a price tag that is 3 to 4 times as great as equivalent AMD processors. As for reliability, I've had trouble with neither brand. Nor have I had ANY compatibility issues with AMD.

I do need some power for recording, but more than blistering speed, I need MEMORY and STORAGE...I'm going with 8gb which should satisfy the most demanding application I can throw at it. I'm not even going to buy a massive sound card to start with and may never get one. Right now, I'm processing all of the sound on my computer through my Line-6 UX2. It does a good job with stereo and that's all I need. Not watching Multimedia shows with 8 channel surround sound.

But with the case (4 fan case with two in front, one on top and one in the back), the 640 watt power supply, 8gb of fast memory, a 650gb SATA drive, a DVD/CD burner, and the dual-core AMD, it will build for under $600. And with the mobo I'm getting, I can put up to 16gb of memory and add 3 or 4 more SATA drives to it. The mobo also has 4/2.0 USB ports and two 3.0 USB ports. Not sure, but I think it also has a couple of Firewire ports if I ever decide to go that route.

I'll put 64-bit Windows-7 in as an OS of course.

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Mike - I just posted something in the Music offtopic section in the Concerts thread.

It looks like I will be going to see Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top do a co-headline show in Peoria, IL! I LOVE Skynyrd and I've always wanted to see ZZ Top and Billy Gibbons.

MikeA
03-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Mike - I just posted something in the Music offtopic section in the Concerts thread.

It looks like I will be going to see Lynyrd Skynyrd and ZZ Top do a co-headline show in Peoria, IL! I LOVE Skynyrd and I've always wanted to see ZZ Top and Billy Gibbons.

I've seen ZZ-Top a couple of different times. Well worth going! They are a hoot. Played Blackjack with Gibons up at Ameristar Casino several years ago. Cool guy.

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I've seen ZZ-Top a couple of different times. Well worth going! They are a hoot. Played Blackjack with Gibons up at Ameristar Casino several years ago. Cool guy.

I'm going to take the pickguard off of Ruby and try to get it signed by Billy Gibbons and Gary Rossington (the only original member of Skynyrd left) IF we get front row tickets, which we are hoping for. That would be so cool. Except there is no way I'd be able to put that pickguard back on Ruby and play it - I'd be afraid of something happening to it so I'd have to go pickguardless or buy another. But I want it to be the original guard signed off of my guitar, not just one I buy online. I'll go and if I get it signed, THEN I'll come home and order a new pickguard for Ruby. They are only 10 bucks or so for a LP cream pickguard fer christ sakes LOL. Well worth it to have the signatures of two of the best geetar players in history IMO!!!

MikeA
03-22-2011, 01:13 PM
A "new" pick guard will not depreciate the value at all on Ruby. You'll still have the old one "signed" and if you were ever wanting to sell Ruby (which I know you never will) you could put it back on and drastically improve the collect-ability of that LP!

All academic though. You'd never sell it anyway and any ole pick guard would serve the purpose. Likely no one would ever be able to tell the difference.

I've thought about removing the pick guard on my Studio just to be a little "different". But there's really no reason and I have a lot of pick scratches on it that otherwise would be on the wood. So I've never done it.

Oh, sent you an eMail on that computer "build" I'm thinking seriously about.

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 01:21 PM
A "new" pick guard will not depreciate the value at all on Ruby. You'll still have the old one "signed" and if you were ever wanting to sell Ruby (which I know you never will) you could put it back on and drastically improve the collect-ability of that LP!

All academic though. You'd never sell it anyway and any ole pick guard would serve the purpose. Likely no one would ever be able to tell the difference.

I've thought about removing the pick guard on my Studio just to be a little "different". But there's really no reason and I have a lot of pick scratches on it that otherwise would be on the wood. So I've never done it.

Oh, sent you an eMail on that computer "build" I'm thinking seriously about.

Yep a pickguard is not that big of a deal. And like you already know - that guitar is going to the grave with me.

I replied to your email! :)

MikeA
03-22-2011, 01:27 PM
I saw the eMail. Thanks. Got to sell it to Verna now <LOL>. That's quite a bit of machine for $600. Should hold me for another 6 or 7 years.

MikeA
03-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Here's an interesting observation where I compared Firefox to Chrome looking at the virtual memory they both require

firefox.exe 355,176 K

I'll have to save this and come back and edit it after I shut Firefox down. There isn't enough virtual memory on my machine to run both right now.

Now for Google's Chrome with the same number of tabs opened:

chrome.exe 187,848 K
chrome.exe 167,100 K
chrome.exe 132,100 K
chrome.exe 121,100 K
chrome.exe 137,100 K
chrome.exe 131,100 K

Those Chrome Virtual memory numbers are not the "same instance". Google "partitions" memory for each tab and extension used. I have a "password rememberer", a "Ad Block" and a "weather bug" plus the two tabs I have open plus the main Google Chrome Execute.. That memory is not released until you close Chrome!

I love Chrome. And if you have boo-koos of virtual memory, it isn't a really bad thing. If one tab crashes, only that tab crashes....the rest continue to function. But it does eat up memory!

By running FireFox, I can give my computer a much needed antibiotic to hold me over until I can get a new computer built.

If you are experiencing extreme slowdowns that are correctable only by rebooting your system or at least rebooting CHROME, try one of the other browsers. It is not a bug in Chrome, but rather the nature of the Beast. I'm anxious to get the new machine built so I can return to Chrome. I really like it.

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 03:15 PM
Firefox has always had HIGH RAM usage. I used to use it as my primary browser until Google Chrome came out. Now I ditched Chrome for Internet Explorer 9. Just came out this week and it is MUCH faster than FF or Chrome. Pages load instantly!! BUT you have to have Vista or 7 to run it. So If you don't have Vista or 7, stick with Chrome.

Ditch Firefox man! It sucks!!!! Chrome is the way to go, but only if you cannot get the new IE 9. IE used to suck but now its way better than it's competition.

MikeA
03-22-2011, 03:30 PM
I rechecked after disabling a lot of extensions for Firefox that I didn't need and the Virtual Memory is 186,716...not 355,000 KB as I originally stated.

One last entry in this thread. IE8 is showing 217,000 KB in Virtual Requirements. No wonder I'm thrashing my paging file! <LOL>

I haven't loaded Opera since I never use it...nor Safari. But either Firefox or IE8 at around 217,000 KB is FAR less demand than CHROME at an averabe of 150,000 x 7 or 1,050,000 KB.

And I agree, CHROME is the way to go for XP users IF AND ONLY IF you have plenty of disk space for Virtual Memory. I should be about the only one having THAT problem and that's only because I'm such a cheapskate and try to use cars and computers until they are worthy of being boat anchors!

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 03:38 PM
Right now statistics wise Chrome is the most used and most popular browser. With Internet Explorer 9, that will change I think. Most people will go back to using IE. It's SO much better. IE 8 and previous isn't so good but IMO Firefox is the slowest of the 3. Chrome is 2nd.

Chrome is what I use on XP machines. I've not had any slowdowns with Chrome. But I have had plenty of them with Firefox. I wouldn't use Firefox if it was the last web browser on earth. :lol: But if that's what you need to get you by - then that's what works.

When you get your Windows 7 machine, use Internet Explorer 9. Much faster than Chrome to load web pages. You can have Chrome on there but I'd use IE 9. Usually IE sucks but with IE 9 I see Microsoft getting back all of their lost users. It really is the best out there right now, and I'm not the only one saying that. Reviews are coming in saying its the fastest and most secure.

I ditched Chrome on my main PC running 7 because it got to the point where pages wouldn't load the first time and I'd have to hit refresh. And with Firefox, my computer got very slow and page load speeds were horrible. Internet Explorer 9 has fast speeds and LOW RAM usage..

Right now Internet Explorer 9 is taking up with 3 tabs open:

iexplore.exe 88, 367 K

MikeA
03-22-2011, 04:45 PM
But Austin, CHROME is so PRETTY! :rofl:

I guess I'll have to run up to my father-in-law's and install IE9 for him. He isn't having any problems with IE8 that I'm aware of, but I try to keep one step ahead of him on his computer.

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 04:54 PM
But Austin, CHROME is so PRETTY! :rofl:

I guess I'll have to run up to my father-in-law's and install IE9 for him. He isn't having any problems with IE8 that I'm aware of, but I try to keep one step ahead of him on his computer.

Definitely go up there and install IE 9. You get it from here:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-9/worldwide-languages

Night and day speed difference in loading stuff up.

WalshFan88
03-22-2011, 10:48 PM
1959 Gibson Les Paul.......DROOL!

Do want!

http://i52.tinypic.com/301hqvp.jpg

MikeA
03-23-2011, 07:33 AM
That one is a beauty alright! Looks like an original case too from looking at the handle on it.

MikeA
03-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Someone made a really good deal on this Tacoma Chief:

$355 plus shipping. Wish I'd had some extra cash laying around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150576465300&si=4ZZ3kMbVhImpm5PUKDRe6%252By%252Fk0s%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_12048wt_1761

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 09:30 AM
That one is a beauty alright! Looks like an original case too from looking at the handle on it.

For me nothing is better than having a great Les Paul and a great amp (in my case - Fender Twin Reverb). It's my favorite setup. BUT I'm not a LP snob, I love my Teles, Strats, PRSs, Carvins, SGs, 335s, etc too.

But the Gibson Les Paul Sunburst will always hold a special place in my guitar-obsessed heart! :lol:

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Someone made a really good deal on this Tacoma Chief:

$355 plus shipping. Wish I'd had some extra cash laying around.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&rt=nc&nma=true&item=150576465300&si=4ZZ3kMbVhImpm5PUKDRe6%252By%252Fk0s%253D&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT#ht_12048wt_1761

That is a great price Mike. I have no doubt one day you will own one!

MikeA
03-23-2011, 10:35 AM
That is a great price Mike. I have no doubt one day you will own one!

They are NOT the Holy Grail to me Austin, but they are nice acoustic guitars. There are others I'd rather have. I'm thinking Breedlove, Gibson, Gallagher....some of those are really REALLY nice.

The Tacoma was just an excellent sounding eaisly handled small acoustic with a very unique look that I liked.

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 10:40 AM
They are NOT the Holy Grail to me Austin, but they are nice acoustic guitars. There are others I'd rather have. I'm thinking Breedlove, Gibson, Gallagher....some of those are really REALLY nice.

The Tacoma was just an excellent sounding eaisly handled small acoustic with a very unique look that I liked.

I know you like Jumbos - so I'd go for a Gibson.

I'm planning on getting a 12 string Taylor at Christmas.. Then after that - who knows. I'd love to get a Gibson Hummingbird someday. Not too big into most Martins - too deep for me. Gibsons are warmer than Taylors, but its an ok amount of warmth. You heard that video of mine with my buddy's Hummingbird. Perfect sounding guitar. I love the finish too on those.

TimothyBFan
03-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I asked this in the new poll thread but thought I'd come here and ask to get an answer.

The picture of Rick Nielsen and his 5 armed (?) guitar got me thinking. All his weird guitars in different shapes like the one of him and such----do they all sound extremely different or is it more for show than anything? I know they probably vary a bit, but how much?

WalshFan88
03-23-2011, 10:49 AM
I asked this in the new poll thread but thought I'd come here and ask to get an answer.

The picture of Rick Nielsen and his 5 armed (?) guitar got me thinking. All his weird guitars in different shapes like the one of him and such----do they all sound extremely different or is it more for show than anything? I know they probably vary a bit, but how much?

Well if you look at his 5 neck, they all have different necks with pickups underneath them. One has a 12 string neck, one has a fretless neck with no inlays. But also some of the necks have Tele pickups under them and some have humbuckers. And one I think has Strat pickups.

So it would have different sounds yes. I mainly see him using the 2nd neck from the top though on "Surrender". But it would have different sounds. But I'm not sure how big of a part that plays into it.

As far as his other cool looking guitars: They DO all sound different. Different pickups, woods, etc. Here is a video rundown of his LIVE guitars from the 80s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOzjYkI_VVE

MikeA
03-23-2011, 10:51 AM
Yep, I like the Hummingbird too. And you are right, I'd go for a Gibson Jumbo probably as my #1 choice. I've even considered an Epiphone Jumbo.

For $400, this ain't bad and I've played them and they sound pretty good!

The Gibby is listed below the Epiphone. The Gibson lists at $4,599.00. I've found that there is little difference in most of the Epiphone models. Afterall, they are owned by Gibson and use the same blueprints when they offer a "clone".

And last, a picture of Pete Townshend holding it to give an idea why it is called a "Jumbo". It's not just the shape...it is the SIZE too.

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/2/9/6/475296.jpghttp://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/regular/3/4/4/274344.jpg
http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/4/7/2/549472.jpg

WalshFan88
03-24-2011, 07:33 PM
I've been getting back into my "pedal obsession". I just love those old analog stompboxes!

The great thing is - there are a lot of small one man businesses (little guys) building pedals they way they were made back then and also nailing that vintage tone. There are SO many options right now.

For instance if you wanted an Ibanez TS-808 Tubescreamer - you'd be insane to buy one off the shelf at "Guitar Center". The RI pedals don't sound anything close to the originals SRV used. BUT there are plenty of alternatives. One of my favorite pedal makers, Wampler, has a great TS-inspired pedal that basically is a Tubescreamer but with the REAL vintage wiring and circuit board and HANDMADE and it also has none of the problems Tubescreamers have such as the lack of bass or brightness.

I just love the fact there are so many so called "boutique" gear builders out there now. Handmade in the US, and vintage-correct and accurate to the gnat's behind. There are pickup makers (handwound pickups made to vintage Fender/Gibson specs), pedal builders, guitar builders, amp builders, you name it).

I love that there is SO much out there right now for vintage sounds. The people that love modern rock music just go to Guitar Center and buy a cheapie DIGITAL distortion pedal. Bam, they have the sound of their modern artist hero from Megaslayer or whoever. BLECH! Give me an ANALOG overdrive and boost any day and vintage styled amps and guitars with vintage style pickups. I'm old school, but not too old school. 70s/80s is my stuff. I love that dirty rock n' roll. Not too much distortion to where you can't hear what they are playing, but a nice thick crunch. There is some good 60s too. I'm not a 90s music fan whatsoever and the only modern music I like is new albums from old artists that still sound good and sound like their old stuff.

If only I had some money to spend on a nice new ANALOG pedal right now. I'm a sucker for analog pedals that recreate those 70s rock tones. But I never go for that digital distortion. I go for a nice crunchy overdrive where you still can hear that its an "E" chord being played and that my guitar solo stands out. I always play with crunch, but depending what time it is in the song it goes from light boost to heavy blues overdrive (ala SRV, Joe Walsh, etc).

MikeA
03-25-2011, 07:54 AM
I wonder why "they" (the Boss people and others) don't make them like they used to make them. Surly they could replicate exactly those old pedals. And if they did a really good job on the replication they should have a great market.

I can't imagine that the vintage results wouldn't sell. Good Grief...just look at the ads in the catalogs....All of them are claiming that "same sound Jimi had." It never is "the same" but they still claim it. Why don't they actually MAKE the same pedal Jimi (and others of course) used? Are the materials not available? Would it really drive their profit margin down too far to make it worthwhile for them? Or is it that by cutting corners and prices for the materials, and the fact that 90% of the potential customers couldn't hear the difference in quality or just don't care?

Heck, they could even have a Gibson/Epiphone approach....A line of Analog pedals that really were "like the old days" that were labeled with the Platinum Logo and then a line of Copper labeled pedals that are what they are making today but a LOT cheaper then the Platinum ones.

WalshFan88
03-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I wonder why "they" (the Boss people and others) don't make them like they used to make them. Surly they could replicate exactly those old pedals. And if they did a really good job on the replication they should have a great market.

I can't imagine that the vintage results wouldn't sell. Good Grief...just look at the ads in the catalogs....All of them are claiming that "same sound Jimi had." It never is "the same" but they still claim it. Why don't they actually MAKE the same pedal Jimi (and others of course) used? Are the materials not available? Would it really drive their profit margin down too far to make it worthwhile for them? Or is it that by cutting corners and prices for the materials, and the fact that 90% of the potential customers couldn't hear the difference in quality or just don't care?

Heck, they could even have a Gibson/Epiphone approach....A line of Analog pedals that really were "like the old days" that were labeled with the Platinum Logo and then a line of Copper labeled pedals that are what they are making today but a LOT cheaper then the Platinum ones.

Exactly Mike... I wish they would do that too. Seems like all of the mass produced stuff is all focusing on modern stuff and IMO not sounding that great.

WalshFan88
03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
A picture I took of my "babies" tonight. Ruby and my Twin Reverb. I need to come up with a name for that amp!!!! "Ruby" came to me naturally and I want that amp name to come to me in the same way!

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ih5c3d.jpg
(http://i56.tinypic.com/2ih5c3d.jpg)

MikeA
03-26-2011, 07:50 AM
Looks like "Reverend" to me.

Really speaks out to it's congregation and the sound of his voice reverberates throughout the sanctuary.

WalshFan88
03-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Looks like "Reverend" to me.

Really speaks out to it's congregation and the sound of his voice reverberates throughout the sanctuary.

Yeah it does me too! I'll keep that one in mind! :)

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 02:42 PM
I'm really wanting one of these to go along with my Fender Blackface '65 Twin Reverb Reissue. It's a Fender Blackface '65 Super Reverb Reissue. The Twin and the Super were used a LOT by Joe both live and in the studio.

http://www.drumza.com/images/Fender65SuperReverbGuitarAmp.jpg

MikeA
03-28-2011, 03:32 PM
That's another sweet one Austin! You'll be peeling paint with those two! It's kind of hard to get the tubes saturated in your bedroom isn't it? Get some good earplugs for you and for anyone else living within 3 blocks <LOL>

WalshFan88
03-28-2011, 03:39 PM
That's another sweet one Austin! You'll be peeling paint with those two! It's kind of hard to get the tubes saturated in your bedroom isn't it? Get some good earplugs for you and for anyone else living within 3 blocks <LOL>

Well actually that room isn't my bedroom. It's my separate guitar studio. My bedroom is much more laid back and quiet! :lol: That's where I keep my Taylor acoustic!

I use an "overdrive" pedal Mike, which pushes the tubes for me so I can get nice overdrive saturation at lower volumes.

The Super can get natural overdrive when cranked. It's the most famous blues club amp. Its 40 watts.

But the Twin is a strictly CLEAN amp at 85 watts. Even on 10 it has very little breakup at all. It was intended for use with an overdrive pedal or set completely clean.

I got the Twin for gigging though. It's great for those outdoor venues! I love it though at home with my overdrive pedal (Paisley Drive). I got it back when I was doing the Eagles tribute band and playing those bigger venues.

WalshFan88
03-31-2011, 12:18 AM
I saw this today... I know Joe has been a long time endorser of Dr. Z Amps

http://i53.tinypic.com/htbcs6.jpg

He used Z's first amp on the Hell Freezes Over tour as his only amp. It was the SRZ-65 model. That is the amp in the pic. It was Z's first production model.

Joe now has a JAZ 20/40 from Z. He has it onstage with him, but now has a Carvin Belair amp and a Fender Deluxe Reverb RI too.

I really would love a SRZ-65. Dr. Z is owned by Mike Zaite and is a boutique amp company. It'll be a long time before I could afford one though. But if they are good enough for Joe - they'll do just fine for me!

MikeA
03-31-2011, 07:18 AM
Joe seems pretty smitten with Carvin. I haven't seen a recent picture of his axe rack, but it seems he's either playing a Carvin or a Deusenberg. And from what I've heard about the Carvin amps, they are solid. The BelAire series are not out there in left field in price either.

The 50w Belair combo sales from Carvin for $699. That ain't bad at all! and if you have a cab you like, the head alone (VT50) is $549. I'm assuming that the VT50 head is the same as the guts of the Belair.

WalshFan88
03-31-2011, 02:05 PM
Joe seems pretty smitten with Carvin. I haven't seen a recent picture of his axe rack, but it seems he's either playing a Carvin or a Deusenberg. And from what I've heard about the Carvin amps, they are solid. The BelAire series are not out there in left field in price either.

The 50w Belair combo sales from Carvin for $699. That ain't bad at all! and if you have a cab you like, the head alone (VT50) is $549. I'm assuming that the VT50 head is the same as the guts of the Belair.

From what I hear he uses the Carvin amp with his pedalboard and then has the Dr Z set dirty on its own with no pedals.

WalshFan88
04-02-2011, 02:00 PM
Bought a 08 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Flametop. Pics to come tonight as I'm on my phone now.

MikeA
04-02-2011, 03:51 PM
Bought a 08 Gibson Les Paul Traditional Flametop. Pics to come tonight as I'm on my phone now.

Everbody needs a LP. :) Is it one of the LPs that has the body "chambered"? I'd love to have a Paul that weights about 36 pounds! My "faded" mahogany I think weighs less than my Telecaster. My Epi definitely out weights it and the Epi is semi-hollow.

WalshFan88
04-02-2011, 04:21 PM
Everbody needs a LP. :) Is it one of the LPs that has the body "chambered"? I'd love to have a Paul that weights about 36 pounds! My "faded" mahogany I think weighs less than my Telecaster. My Epi definitely out weights it and the Epi is semi-hollow.

Nope. I prefer the nonchambered. More chunk and sustain. This one is my heaviest yet LOL.

I'll have pics soon.

MikeA
04-02-2011, 04:50 PM
We're on the SAME PAGE with the SOLID ones! I don't think that Gibson can save any money by machining out those chambers. I guess they could use the dust to make filler for veneers but it can't be anything but acquiescence to demand that the guitars be made to weigh less. Weight did factor in when you have it strapped on for a couple of hours at a time while performing, but I'd much rather deal with a sore shoulder than give up the tradition and maybe a little sustain.

But there is something about having that 12 or 13 pound club. Pretty lethal weapon in more ways than one.

WalshFan88
04-02-2011, 05:04 PM
We're on the SAME PAGE with the SOLID ones! I don't think that Gibson can save any money by machining out those chambers. I guess they could use the dust to make filler for veneers but it can't be anything but acquiescence to demand that the guitars be made to weigh less. Weight did factor in when you have it strapped on for a couple of hours at a time while performing, but I'd much rather deal with a sore shoulder than give up the tradition and maybe a little sustain.

But there is something about having that 12 or 13 pound club. Pretty lethal weapon in more ways than one.

Solidbodies are meant to be just that. I love hollowbodies like 335s.

MikeA
04-02-2011, 05:05 PM
Oh, forgot to mention. I just got my rebate check in from Roland today for that Boss ME-25 pedal I bought. $200 from most any place you try and buy them new but I found an authorized dealer on eBay selling them for $175. The rebate was good through him and he provided all the necessary paperwork so Roland honored it.

That's $50 less than retail. I think that should justify spending $3,000 on a PRS Custom 24. Don't you?

I used to really get tickled at my Father-in-law. He go to sales at Sears or Penney's and keep track of how much he "saved" by buying stuff there. If he saved $100, he turn around and head for the Hardware stores and buy a new power tool of some sort. Or a new gun. After all, it was FREE because of what he'd saved. It got a little out of hand when he'd buy stuff at garage sales and claim the savings on the stuff at the garage sale based on the retail price! Or his threats of going and buying something that was "on sale" even if he didn't need or even want it just to get the "saved money" to spend on something he did want!

Made perfect sense to me! But Verna never bought it!

WalshFan88
04-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Oh, forgot to mention. I just got my rebate check in from Roland today for that Boss ME-25 pedal I bought. $200 from most any place you try and buy them new but I found an authorized dealer on eBay selling them for $175. The rebate was good through him and he provided all the necessary paperwork so Roland honored it.

That's $50 less than retail. I think that should justify spending $3,000 on a PRS Custom 24. Don't you?

I used to really get tickled at my Father-in-law. He go to sales at Sears or Penney's and keep track of how much he "saved" by buying stuff there. If he saved $100, he turn around and head for the Hardware stores and buy a new power tool of some sort. Or a new gun. After all, it was FREE because of what he'd saved. It got a little out of hand when he'd buy stuff at garage sales and claim the savings on the stuff at the garage sale based on the retail price! Or his threats of going and buying something that was "on sale" even if he didn't need or even want it just to get the "saved money" to spend on something he did want!

Made perfect sense to me! But Verna never bought it!

Makes perfect sense to me!

MikeA
04-02-2011, 05:11 PM
Solidbodies are meant to be just that. I love hollowbodies like 335s.

I know what you mean...but the 335's aren't really hollow. The Epiphone Casino is though and Gibson has real hollow bodies. Those wings on the 335's to add some air to the sound though and I like it too. Their (335's) semi-hollow design is a GREAT compromise.

I've been playing my Sheraton II a lot here lately. Still thinking about loading it up with some hotter pups though and I think I'll deviate from the stock look of the 335 and go with uncovered humbuckers. Might even go with zebras. I think the contrast would look good against the solid black Sheraton. I'd like to coil tap them too.

Taps never seem to me to put out the sound of a single coil, but they do have a totally different sound than a humbucker...more variety in the 335. Just wish I could do the electronics myself. It's a challenge with the Sheraton though. I'd take it to a lutlhier.

WalshFan88
04-02-2011, 05:21 PM
I know what you mean...but the 335's aren't really hollow. The Epiphone Casino is though and Gibson has real hollow bodies. Those wings on the 335's to add some air to the sound though and I like it too. Their (335's) semi-hollow design is a GREAT compromise.

I've been playing my Sheraton II a lot here lately. Still thinking about loading it up with some hotter pups though and I think I'll deviate from the stock look of the 335 and go with uncovered humbuckers. Might even go with zebras. I think the contrast would look good against the solid black Sheraton. I'd like to coil tap them too.

Taps never seem to me to put out the sound of a single coil, but they do have a totally different sound than a humbucker...more variety in the 335. Just wish I could do the electronics myself. It's a challenge with the Sheraton though. I'd take it to a lutlhier.

Yeah I never distinguish between semi and hollow. I prefer semi hollow

MikeA
04-02-2011, 07:18 PM
I do too Austin (prefer semi-hollow) but since I have a good one, I wouldn't mind at all getting a hollow-body. But not a double-wing. I think I'd like to get something more in a single cutaway. Carvin and PRS both make them and I'm sure Gibson does too. I have a nephew who bought a Gibson "Blues Hawk". I think that's what it was. Had a "fat switch" on it. Really had a great bluesy tone. I don't think the Blueshawk was a hollow-body but rather semi like the Es-335 but shaped more like a distorted Les Paul.

Of course, Gibson has the ES-175 but that isn't the one that I was thinking of. And I really don't think it was the Blueshawk either.

PRS does make a beauty though and so does Carvin.

WalshFan88
04-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Mike, meet Rebecca. Rebecca, meet Mike.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_0856640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_0855640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_0854640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_0852640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_0851640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_0849640x480.jpg

MikeA
04-02-2011, 09:04 PM
That "Blueshawk" may not have been the guitar that my Nephew had. Gibson actually had several guitars in the "Hawk" line, but none of them were hollow-body as near as I can tell. All were semi-hollow but much smaller and lighter than the 335. Totally different animal. They apparently didn't stay in Gibson's lineup for long. They were a lower end Gibby. Sure had a fat bluesy sound though.

Based on what I have now in my inventory, if I were going out for another guitar, it would either be a PRS Custom 24 (simply because I lust after them!) or it would be a hollow body styled superficially on the Les Paul lines with a single cutaway but not like a Telecaster.

I guess Carvin doesn't have a hollow-body electric.

Something like this PRS Single Cutaway Hollow Body. But then, I like the second one a lot too:

http://prsguitars.com/singlecuthollowbody2/img/front.jpghttp://prsguitars.com/hollowbody2/img/front.jpg

MikeA
04-06-2011, 10:00 AM
Got a Guitar Center flyer in the mail yesterday. I gotta stay away from GC!

In their "platinum" offerings, they list a Martin acoustic dreadnaught. Guaranteed lowest price at #39,999.99. It's purty!

But into the more "reasonable" merchandise...A Martin 12-string for $599. I'd like to get my fingers on that one! It has electronics too.

WalshFan88
04-08-2011, 05:07 AM
LOVIN' the new Paul, Mike!!!! The DiMarzios I installed in it are smokin' hot. Very good for that classic 70s rock stuff I dig so much. But yet when rolled back, especially on the neck pickup, get real honky and bluesy or even jazzy if you roll the tone off. She just howls and sings so pretty. My #2 to be honest. PRS coming in at #3. Carvin coming it at #4. Sunburst USA Tele coming in at #5. Those are my top 5 instruments I have. I love 'em all though.

The pickups I put it it were in Double Creme and they look sharp. I will take pics and one video over the weekend so you can see it with the new pickups and hear it first hand. I think it's a twin to Ruby to be honest. Very similar.

I'm playing in a bluegrass/country jam tonight. My friend Ron has been begging me to go. So I'm gonna go and do "Take It Easy", "Peaceful Easy Feeling", and "Tequila Sunrise". I'm not a big bluegrass or country fan but it'll get me out of the house. I'd much rather be playing my new LP through my Twin turned up loud and ripping up "Already Gone" in front of a live crowd, but I digress. :neutral:

MikeA
04-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I saw a pic of one of the Gibson Les Paul "Flood" instruments. Supposedly when the flood hit Nashville, several tanks of stain and paint were knocked over and congealed on a concrete finish-room floor. All swirly as it mixed together.

Anyway, they used a similar swirl finish on a limited run of Les Pauls to commemorate the flood. I think they were selling them for around $1,600. They had one in deep dark emerald green that was really eye-catching.

http://www.sweetwater.com/images/items/350/LPNFGLCH.jpg

WalshFan88
04-09-2011, 04:48 AM
Found a VERY cool article by Bill Szymczyk talking about the recording/production of my favorite album, "Hotel California".

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep10/articles/classic-tracks-0910.htm

MikeA
04-09-2011, 08:08 AM
There are some memorable lines in that article. I know Walsh was pretty awed by what Szymczyk could do with sound.

WalshFan88
04-09-2011, 12:11 PM
There are some memorable lines in that article. I know Walsh was pretty awed by what Szymczyk could do with sound.

He's definitely my favorite producer. The sound he got on HC and TLR and even the earlier stuff is amazing. Oh how I would have loved to be a fly on the wall during the Hotel California recording sessions!!! I would loved to seen the gear too! According to Walsh, he blew up several amps during the recording of HC.

tequila girl
04-09-2011, 01:24 PM
So, Austin.....apart from.....

I love that Funk #49 riff. I used it to warm up at a bluegrass jam last night! :hilarious: Those dudes looked at me like I was crazy.
How did it go? ;) :-)

WalshFan88
04-09-2011, 01:29 PM
So, Austin.....apart from.....

How did it go? ;) :-)

Not bad. Not everything they play is exactly my cup of tea and I'm sure they think the same about what I like (rock and blues). They said it was the first time someone played an Eagles song and they requested me to learn The Best Of My Love to do at the next one I go to. I never learned that one but mainly because I can sing Frey's songs a lot easier than Henley's. I did "Take It Easy" last night. Easy fun song that everyone and their cousin knows! They said I was too young to know about the Eagles - let alone play and sing their songs. :D I then informed them about the old tribute band I did. Went good overall. I don't know how often I will go but it was fun... Definitely good for building a diverse playlist of songs.

tequila girl
04-09-2011, 01:50 PM
It's all a great experience to have! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
04-09-2011, 02:04 PM
It's all a great experience to have! :thumbsup:

Yeah those guys are into the more Bernie Leadon type stuff of Banjo, Mandolin, Dobro, Acoustic, etc. I'm more into Fender amps and Les Pauls and Telecasters and stuff. It would be more interesting if they'd let me play country licks on a Tele behind the acoustic stuff in the background through clean reverb on my Twin. I'm a Joe Walsh type of guy. Bluesy rock and more 70s stuff. But it was good to go and see it!

WalshFan88
04-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Rebecca, my new LP, with DiMarzio pickups:

http://i54.tinypic.com/112d0dx.jpg

MikeA
04-12-2011, 07:40 AM
I just discovered that I have a cousin (oh, that didn't come out right....I knew I had a cousin...I mean, I'm from ARKANSAS after all!) who is giving Austin a run for his money as a collector. Just not of guitars (unfortunately) but rather Golf Clubs <LOL>

He is constantly buying and selling top of the line golf clubs on a incessant quest for the perfect game! He's even bought two freakin' golf carts! He bought one driver that cost more than all the golf clubs I've ever owned!

I've got to start becoming less frugal! I guess with Guys, life is a game and you are judged in the end by the number of toys you've accumulated over the years. I'm afraid that I'm not winning.

But you know what...Austin's collection is going to increase in value and that is virtually guaranteed! Golf clubs, unless played by one of the pros in one of the Majors that he won, are not going to retain any value at all other than what they can do for you while you are playing.

WalshFan88
04-13-2011, 04:26 AM
Guess what I got yesterday?!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/205100_10150538315525066_541495065_17895142_595706 1_n.jpg

I'm going to be working the " Austin's custom modification mojo" into it over the weekend and then I'll do a video. I'm ordering the 12-string strings now.

It's an Epiphone SG Doubleneck. I got a STEAL on it - so I settled for a red one rather than a white one like Felder plays that I originally wanted. Besides - it's just a COLOR. It will have the same sound regardless of the paint! LOL.

I'm putting Gibson pickups in the 12-string neck with silver covers (BurstBucker 1 and BurstBucker 2). I'm putting a set of handwound custom made humbuckers in the 6-string neck with black uncovered bobbins. I'm also putting in new Sprague repro capacitors for a better "sweep" on the knobs. Will leave the pots as long as they aren't problematic and have a nice taper. I'm gonna use Ernie Ball 12-String Slinkys on the 12 neck which is an 8-40 set and the Regular Slinkys on the 6 string neck like I normally use on my guitars.

I can't wait to hear this beast through a chorus pedal on "Hotel California". I'll admit I don't know hardly any Felder licks but I'm gonna learn. I've been focused on Walsh my whole guitar "career" but I have became more of a Felder fan as time has went on. I love how he and Walsh played together.

tequila girl
04-13-2011, 04:30 AM
WOW!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
04-13-2011, 04:37 AM
WOW!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hehehe.

It's definitely not a guitar you'd use for more than a couple songs a night... Unless you have a back of steel or something or are superhuman. Felder himself only used it on "Hotel", at least to my knowledge. Walsh flirted with one back in the 70s and used it on tracks like "In The City", but he hasn't used one cept for a short while in the Long Run era of the seventies. Heheh.

But it's great for those songs you need it for and it's a great attention getter. I can't wait to walk onstage with the thing. I think I'll use it on "Hotel California" during my solo shows, as a one man band or a trio thing. I'm going to be having a music festival on my family's property this summer. We have a cabin there and its kind of secluded but has a BIG stage. This will be the 2nd one we have done. Almost like a mini-Woodstock if you will! :rofl: Ausstock doesn't sound very catchy so we call it "Ausfest", a take on the "Ozzfest".

MikeA
04-13-2011, 07:14 AM
Nice one Austin. You'll have some fun with that one!

I'm pretty sure I saw Walsh using a double neck though I'm pretty sure it was a 6/6 with one neck tuned for slide. One of those old James Gang 5th generation (I.E. BAD QUALITY) VHS copies. I can't remember which concert or song I saw it on.

It actually made sense to have one back in the day....and maybe today as well. I mean, if you don't have a guitar tech standing by to run another guitar out to you during a stage performance and you need a 12-string or maybe a neck with a different setup and tuning for slide.

I'd like to have an electric 12-string just to pluck around on.

WalshFan88
04-15-2011, 04:35 AM
LOL I missed this... Heheheheh! :nahnah: :lol:

Prettymaid
04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Ausfest -love it! :lol: You don't need a lead singer do you? ;-)

WalshFan88
04-15-2011, 02:44 PM
Ausfest -love it! :lol: You don't need a lead singer do you? ;-)

As a matter of fact we do! ;)

MikeA
04-17-2011, 10:49 AM
Gotta tell you, I was very impressed with Dean Park last night at the Crosby/Nash concert. Already mentioned that he played lead on electric and really filled in on the Folk Rock duo's set.

He had a rack of like 6 guitars with one acoustic making a 7th.

His "go to" seemed to be a PRS Custom 24 but he had either two or three of them. They really sang out! He also played a Gibson ES-335 with a wraparound tail piece....it wasn't Gretch though as that's about the first thing you think of with a 335 shape with a wrap around tailpiece. The tailpiece on this one was small tubular, not the flat rails of a Bigbsy. It was a Light colored honeyburst finish.

He played one guitar that I couldn't identify. The lighting was too bad on Dean....he wasn't spotlighted very often and when he was, the glare and reflections prevented a clear view from where I was. It may have been a Fender Jaguar or possibly an Epiphone Wilshire. Really couldn't see it that well.

He also had a Telecaster that he used once. Then he had the pedal steel he played on a couple of songs.

The guy is good. Really good. I might not put him in the class with Walsh and Felder, but I can definitely see him in the same class as Stu Smith.

Really enjoyed that concert and especially the majority of tunes that Park played those PRS instruments. Talk about cutting through the mix!

WalshFan88
04-17-2011, 01:23 PM
Gotta tell you, I was very impressed with Dean Park last night at the Crosby/Nash concert. Already mentioned that he played lead on electric and really filled in on the Folk Rock duo's set.

He had a rack of like 6 guitars with one acoustic making a 7th.

His "go to" seemed to be a PRS Custom 24 but he had either two or three of them. They really sang out! He also played a Gibson ES-335 with a wraparound tail piece....it wasn't Gretch though as that's about the first thing you think of with a 335 shape with a wrap around tailpiece. The tailpiece on this one was small tubular, not the flat rails of a Bigbsy. It was a Light colored honeyburst finish.

He played one guitar that I couldn't identify. The lighting was too bad on Dean....he wasn't spotlighted very often and when he was, the glare and reflections prevented a clear view from where I was. It may have been a Fender Jaguar or possibly an Epiphone Wilshire. Really couldn't see it that well.

He also had a Telecaster that he used once. Then he had the pedal steel he played on a couple of songs.

The guy is good. Really good. I might not put him in the class with Walsh and Felder, but I can definitely see him in the same class as Stu Smith.

Really enjoyed that concert and especially the majority of tunes that Park played those PRS instruments. Talk about cutting through the mix!

There is a guy by the name of Dean Parks who is a straightahead Strat guy who did some pickup demos on some Strat pups I'm thinking about getting. He's a studio cat - I wonder if it's the same dude?! If so - yes he's a player. Still no Walsh or Felder IMO as you said but definitely a "Stu" type! ;)

MikeA
04-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Very likely the same guy Austin. Google him and see if his photos match the YouTube vids. He may not have been playing PRS forever!

WalshFan88
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM
Very likely the same guy Austin. Google him and see if his photos match the YouTube vids. He may not have been playing PRS forever!

Did some reading and it's the same cat.... Studio guy.... He recently got the PRS from what I've read. He used to be a BIG Strat guy... Did some demos for SweetSpot Strat Pickups - some of the best Strat sets I've heard in fact. I read he's using a Twin Reverb reissue (like mine) for the Crosby/Nash gigs.

He also plays Dr. Z amps too which brings me to another thing - I think I'm going to try to get a Dr. Z after Christmas. I've been wanting one for a long time and I'm gonna get the one Walsh used on the HFO and later tours - the SRZ-65. Actually not bad of a price - about $1700 all said and done for the amp head. I'll run it through my own Marshall cab. Its a Marshall flavored amplifier from Z.

WalshFan88
04-18-2011, 04:40 AM
I'm going to do some guitar videos in the next couple days - anything you'd like to see?! As soon as I get my Doubleneck all fixed up I'll be doing of video of that.
I have a good feeling I'm going to be on blood pressure medication before the week is over.
But I was thinking of doing a Doubleneck video and maybe something else.....So I thought I would ask! Requests are welcome...

MikeA
04-18-2011, 07:55 AM
Whatever yanks your chain Austin....you've already done a couple on the PRS C24....I doubt I'll ever get tired of slobbering after that guitar! At least not until I have one.

WalshFan88
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Whatever yanks your chain Austin....you've already done a couple on the PRS C24....I doubt I'll ever get tired of slobbering after that guitar! At least not until I have one.

LOL. Will do.

WalshFan88
04-21-2011, 06:33 AM
I've been thinking about putting a B-Bender in one of my Teles Mike. Even though I'm not the hugest fan of Country, I love the sound of that B-Bender like on Peaceful Easy Feeling. I have a Tele I could send off to Charlie McVay (who is the best bender installer/maker right now as he doesn't route out the whole back like the Parsons/Evans Benders do. He just runs a pencil sized route from the back strap pin area to the metal plate on the back of the neck and drills a lever into the neck plate and then runs the little bender from the back strap pin area up through to the bridge and connects it to the B string.

Brad Paisley is using Charlie McVay benders a lot, but he uses a G-Bender (same thing but the "G" string instead of the "B" string).

So the question is...when the time comes... Do I try to find one online with a McVay bender already or do I ship one of my lesser played Telecasters off and have it done for about $600 bucks. You can find Parsons Bender Teles but I don't like how much wood they remove out of the back. And McVay-equipped Teles are not something you see on eBay much. Only if you get a Custom made tele by a luthier who ships it to him, or you send one of your own. You can't buy a Tele with one from him. It's gotta be one you own already.

Here's the back of a Tele with a "MCVAY" bender installed (note the lever):

http://www.mcvaybenders.com/gallery/1bend/Albums/Album1/Large/Black_Paisley_Crook.jpg

Here's the back of a Tele with a typical "PARSONS" bender installed:

http://www.tdpri.com/telephoto/data/519/medium/TELE_f.jpg

With a McVay, you attach your strap to the lever on the neck plate. With a Parsons or Evans style you attach your strap to the original pin. I'm willing to put my strap on a lever than I am to route THAT much wood out of my beloved Tele. I can't help but to think that REALLY affects the tone. :hmm:

MikeA
04-21-2011, 07:09 AM
I don't know enough about either type to advise you on that mod. But I know someone who does! I'll get back with you.

I'd never heard of the one Paisley uses. The Parson's Bender is the only one that I knew existed...and I did know that some folks had put it on the "G" string.

WalshFan88
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I don't know enough about either type to advise you on that mod. But I know someone who does! I'll get back with you.

I'd never heard of the one Paisley uses. The Parson's Bender is the only one that I knew existed...and I did know that some folks had put it on the "G" string.

That'd be great Mike! I'm flat out broke right now after buying two guitars almost back-to-back (LP and doubleneck, which I have a video of coming soon) and a TV set but I'm thinking maybe sometime next year... Early next year even. I want to get a Dr. Z amp too next year - like the one Walsh used on the HFO tour.

WalshFan88
04-22-2011, 01:27 AM
Got the new strings yesterday for my doubleneck and put in the new pickups to replace the stock Epi pickups. AMAZING tone. :woah: I have got the Don Felder mojo in that guitar - the pickups are perfect. It absolutely nails the Hotel California clean chorusy intro and the dirty leads. I can't wait to play this sucker onstage. I have never gotten that close to the Hotel California Felder tone (Walsh tone on HC is a different story and I've been doing that for a long time).

But on other not-so-good news, I'm coming down with a virus. I've got a really bad rash on my legs and have intermittent severe headaches and stomach pain... So I'm going to the Dr tomorrow.

Hopefully I'll feel up to a video shoot this weekend.... Pics too.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 08:23 AM
Sorry about the rash...glad for the results on the D-neck!

Here's the reply on the Bender. And believe me, the guy who gives this information knows about all there is to know about Benders....and anything else for that matter that has to do with being a musician.

April 22, 2011, 12:56 AM

rp has left a new comment on your post "Country Rock: Hi Country Rock fans! come here to p...":

They are both 'radical' installs. There is more routing to the PW, but the effect is the same and charlies has extensive drilling.

I have a PW and a long throw (old school clarence and bernie style)

Bernie actually used an Evans (Dave is making them again, lots of routing, but my favorite bender, super stable.)

The brad paisley (he has mcvays and pw's btw) benders are 'short throw' and he has a combo bender both the b and g string.

I like the single mcvay b bender even as a short throw... but, your buddy will probably have to wait 6 months to get charlie to do it... he is super busy....

he might want to contact Forrest Lee (google him) Forrest is fast and very good and can do any kind of bender you want.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 08:39 AM
Really ought to be posting this notification in "Singing For The Sake Of The Song" or something...Maybe in a J.Lo thread since she'll be there.

And if I was anywhere near Fort Wayne, Indiana, I'd be there in a heartbeat! It will be a Gearhead's dream!

Mark your calendar! Around two months from now, GearFest '11 is coming to Sweetwater, and you're not going to want to miss it!

What's GearFest? Only the biggest gear/music/audio exhibition in the Midwest (and probably in the country, if we really think about it). On June 24 and 25, the Sweetwater campus will be transformed into a combination tradeshow/gear event, featuring hundreds of manufacturers, dozens of workshops from leading industry movers and shakers, thousands of dollars' worth of gear giveways, and tons more.

This year, GearFest will feature Alan Parsons, one of the industry's leading engineers/producers, with credits including The Beatles, Pink Floyd (Dark Side of the Moon, anyone?), Al Stewart (Year of the Cat), Ambrosia, The Hollies, and many more. Other luminaries include BT, Fab Dupont (Jennifer Lopez, Queen Latifah, and many more), Robert Scovill (veteran concert mixer for Prince, Rush, Def Leppard, Tom Petty, and many more), Kent Morris (Tommy Walker, Paul Baloche, and more), Dave Ellefson (Megadeth), Frank Bello (Anthrax), and Greg Koch, plus dozens of product specialists and experts from audio/music manufacturers.

GearFest is an experience like no other, with workshops, artist appearances, giveaways, and the chance to get your hands on the gear. Make your plans now to be in Fort Wayne on June 24 and June 25, 2011. GearFest is coming and it's going to be bigger and better than ever!

WalshFan88
04-22-2011, 01:03 PM
Sorry about the rash...glad for the results on the D-neck!

Here's the reply on the Bender. And believe me, the guy who gives this information knows about all there is to know about Benders....and anything else for that matter that has to do with being a musician.

April 22, 2011, 12:56 AM

rp has left a new comment on your post "Country Rock: Hi Country Rock fans! come here to p...":

They are both 'radical' installs. There is more routing to the PW, but the effect is the same and charlies has extensive drilling.

I have a PW and a long throw (old school clarence and bernie style)

Bernie actually used an Evans (Dave is making them again, lots of routing, but my favorite bender, super stable.)

The brad paisley (he has mcvays and pw's btw) benders are 'short throw' and he has a combo bender both the b and g string.

I like the single mcvay b bender even as a short throw... but, your buddy will probably have to wait 6 months to get charlie to do it... he is super busy....

he might want to contact Forrest Lee (google him) Forrest is fast and very good and can do any kind of bender you want.

Thanks so much Mike! From the sounds of it what I want is the more modern "short throw" McVay-style bender on just the B string. I'm too paranoid about routing that much out of a guitar.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 01:49 PM
There is another discussion thread HERE (http://www.tdpri.com/forum/b-bender-forum/79291-long-throw-short-throw.html) on the three different types of Benders. Interesting read and pretty enlightening.

Here's the other one...the Hip Bender. Looks like almost no surgery on the guitar for this one and the effect is pretty good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYm1CzPA5lQ&feature=related

WalshFan88
04-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Oh yeah I'm a member there at TDPRI... It along with the MyLesPaul forum and this place are the most visited sites I go to and post at. Love TDPRI.

MikeA
04-22-2011, 02:57 PM
I just went out to the Will Ray site and looked more closely at how the HipShot they make installs.

Very simple except that you have to drill holes in the plate that the Saddle adjustment screws are mounted to. The only other destructive measures needed on your Tele is two wood screws in the rear end of the guitar next to the strap button. Those wood screws are just there to give some stability to the guitar.

In total, aside from a new set of strings, the unit is $200. You really don't need a luthier to install it either.

I'd be interested in one of these but not for the traditional use of them. It can be used to bend a full tone so you could tune to drop D on the low string and with a swivel of the hips...bend it up to exactly a normal E. Think how useful that would be for a lot of the stuff Joe does. He uses a lot of Drop D tunings!

WalshFan88
04-24-2011, 02:52 AM
I just went through and made a little sheet of some goals/plans for getting new guitars/amps/effects/gear... Here is my "wish list"/"stuff to get list"

Pedals:

Wampler Ego Compressor - A very clean sounding compressor that doesn't oversquash your tone. Used by guys like Brad Paisley, Brent Mason, and so on. Made by the same one man shop that my Paisley Drive I love so much was made.
Wampler Hot Wired Overdrive - A 2 channel VERY VERSATILE overdrive/distortion. One channel is set for a little bit of crunch and bark and the other channel is heavier and creamier/smoother sounding. Also the ability to click on both for a distortion. A 3-in-1 if you will. It's the Brent Mason signature pedal. Brent is the top studio guy in Nashville and has played on many records.
Way Huge Green Rhino Overdrive - A very low gain overdrive. Think "modern Tubescreamer". A Tubescreamer but better with more EQ. Used for a lead boost.
Way Huge Aqua Puss Analog Delay - A delay I will use for slapback. My old delay pedal shot craps yesterday after several years of gigging it.
MXR Stereo Chorus - A chorus pedal I will use for the Leslie rotary speaker sound. Also can use it for more clear Chorusy sounds.

Amps:

Dr. Z SRZ-65 - A Marshally sounding boutique amp used by guys like Joe Walsh. Very much 70s classic rock/hard rock. Trivia: Used by Joe as his ONLY amp on the Hell Freezes Over tour.
Fender '57 Tweed Deluxe RI - A tweed-era reissue of the amp used by both Felder and Walsh on the recording of Hotel California. A low wattage tube amp great for small gigs, rehearsals, or jams.

Guitars:

Gibson Les Paul Junior - A LP with P90s. I do not have a guitar with P90s in my collection. I love the sound Glenn gets from his "Old Black" which is a 50s Les Paul Junior in a rare ebony finish that was customized to have a neck P90 instead of just one single bridge P90 pickup.
Fender Stratocaster with Maple Board - A Strat with a Maple Board. I do not have one. Need I say more?!
Fender Telecaster with Rosewood Board - A Tele with a Rosewood Board. Again, I do not have one. Nothing else needed to be said.
Carvin CS6M A LP-style Carvin.
PRS Studio A HSS style PRS with their new pickup designs.

Pickups:

Sheptone Tribute PAF replicas - A set of pickups made to recreate the sound of a '59 LP. These would be for "Ruby".
Ron Ellis Strat AND Tele 50s style - A set of both Strat and Tele pickups by Ron Ellis. Ron has made pickups for Joe Walsh, Keith Urban, and Brad Paisley. Probably will put these in future Fender guitars if/when I get 'em.
Seymour Duncan Antiquity PAF replicas - Another set of PAFs to have in "storage" for a future Les Paul.
DiMarzio Area Noiseless Strat Set - A set of pickups for my White MIM Stratocaster to replace the junky Vintage Noiseless Fender set.
DiMarzio Air Norton/Tone Zone Set - A set of pickups to put in "storage" for a future humbucker guitar.

I've never done a list like this but it sure is FUN!!

MikeA
04-25-2011, 11:34 AM
Your list sounds very "reasonable" and "justifiable" Austin.

Here's the case I'm going to use on my next build...if it is still available when I'm ready to order.

I've never built a desktop before that was loaded with lights and was concerned about cooling my quad-core CPU. This should satisfy both needs!

I'm also ordering a rather tall heatsink that I'll try to post here also. Going with the 955 AMD Phenom Black. The case is HUGE (full tower) and loaded with feedback about the room in it as well as the unnatural cooling the case provides. It SHOULD....Those monster fans should make that box hover in the air like a helicopter! They say it is extremely QUIET also. That's important in recording.

The MOBO doesn't have a Graphics chip in it so I'm going with a low-end unit that will be better than most MOBO chips but nothing a very serious gammer would be interested in.

Other miscellaneous info: I'll be putting in 8gb (four 2-gb G Skills 1600) of RAM. A 550 watt modular PSU. Will put in a 750gb 7200 32-buff Western Digital HDD. Also dropping in two Lite-On CD/DVD burners. I've never liked having just one...makes copying too intensive. I'd rather just copy direct from one drive to the other rather than doing two copies (one to HDD and then another back to the CD drivve.

Total cost will be around $650. But all of the components review really well with few complaints about durability. The 955 chip, with adequate cooling can be overclocked to almost 4000. I'm not that interested in doing that, but I ordered a MOBO that is pretty easy to work with if I decide I want to play around with it and the case and heatsink should make it a good toy to play with.

Forgot to mention that I'd be running 64-bit Windows 7.

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/11-103-033-TS?$S300W$

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/35-154-001-02.jpg
http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/14-127-436-TS?$S300W$
http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/ProductImageCompressAll300/17-341-022-14.jpg

WalshFan88
04-25-2011, 04:02 PM
That computer looks like a recording machine Mike!!

Also I've decided to go ahead with a McVay bender but it might be a bit before I can afford it. I sent some PMs on the TDPRI Tele forum and it looks like there is about a 6 week backdate and it's $600 bucks getting one put in. I'm going to put on in the Blue tele. I don't like the idea of routing out all of that wood in the back for the PW/Evans. With the McVay you drill a pencil size (diameter) hole from the neck metal plate to the ferrule where the string goes through the body. Very little wood comes out. I like that better. I'm thinking it's the one for me. I'm even considering a G Bender. Cool stuff!

Here is Brad Paisley's tech talking about it. I'm getting into Brad's playing and tone a lot - which is kind of odd for me as I'm not a huge Country guy. But Brad has a very fast picking style I want to learn. He has a new album coming out next month and I'll probably buy it. I've heard the new single and like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF-lttQuK9I

MikeA
04-25-2011, 04:33 PM
Some of them Good-Ole-Boys got some tricks that Rockers can use! Ain't No Shame in That <dead serious there!>

I'm getting wishy-washy about the MOBO I picked out. I'm reading several reviews saying that it isn't really friendly with the 1600 DDR3 memory that it is rated for and that's what I'm ordering from G. Skill. I'm going back to the drawing board to read up more on the memory issues. ASUS is the main brand MOBO and that ASRock board I'd picked out is one of their off-brands (sort of like Gibson and Epiphone).

I'm not real crazy about overclocking...no real need for it other than to entertain myself. I did decide to go with a quad-core Processor and it would be rather stupid to get a fast CPU and not get RAM that could keep up with it. So I'm going to have to read through all that feedback on the MSI, BIOSTAR, ASUS, and FOXCOMM MOBOs.

I put a BIOSTAR in my Father-in-law's build and he's had no trouble with it at all. But it is really not being challenged at all with high speed memory or with graphics cards or anything more than a dual core rather slow processor. I couldn't see over-building for him.

WalshFan88
04-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Some of them Good-Ole-Boys got some tricks that Rockers can use! Ain't No Shame in That <dead serious there!>

Nope no shame! I think it'd be cool to integrate that hybrid picking (using both a pick and fingers at the same time) and those pedal steel licks into some of the more countrier Eagles tunes I do.

As far as a mobo - I have an ASUS and it's been nothing but solid.

MikeA
04-26-2011, 07:26 AM
Lots of guitarists...not just country...are using what you called "hybrid picking". Stands to reason...if you want to be fast and smooth, you can drill yourself to be so with an additional three fingers working for you.

I was never able to conquer that technique and believe me, I tried back when I first started playing. I wanted to play like Peter Yarrow or Paul Stookey! There's was a bit different technique than is used in Rock, but the idea is the same. It's just that they used thumb and either 2, 3 or 4 fingers. Thumb was playing the E and A strings and each of the fingers were parked on the D, G, B and E strings. And they could FLY.

I remember a video I watched of Joe Walsh showing how to play Funk #49. He used it in that signature opening riff but certainly NOT for the same effect that PP&M used it for.

WalshFan88
04-26-2011, 10:39 AM
I remember a video I watched of Joe Walsh showing how to play Funk #49. He used it in that signature opening riff but certainly NOT for the same effect that PP&M used it for.

Hmmmmmmmm. Very interesting! As far as I know and the way I've seen Walsh play, he uses just the pick for Funk #49. I've also never seen a video of him "teaching it". I've always seen him play it like I do, using those "funk" chords and doing the suspensions and hammer ons during the verses. The intros he would do a "doublestop", which might be what you are referring to where you bend up the G and hold down the B string. But he "picked it" with a flatpick. In fact I've never seen him do the fingerpicking thing. :hmm:

When I had to learn all of those songs for the tribute band, I studied his technique a lot and watched his hands closely and I never saw him do finger picking or hybrid picking. He always used a pick. Now Bernie is another story - he often did do that hybrid picking. But when Walsh had to play Bernie's licks, he did them with a pick where as Bernie would use his fingers a lot (ie Take it Easy, etc) Billy Gibbons uses Hybrid picking in "La Grange". That's the formal word for using a flatpick and your fngers. Not a thumbpick, but a regular pick and your middle/ring fingers.

MikeA
04-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Nope, he uses another finger to flick a string in that opening other than with the pick. He made a bit point of saying that left hand technique was easy and anyone could learn that (right....any virtuoso!). But it was the right hand technique that you needed to really pay attention to. He went on to say that you couldn't do that Funk 49 opening correctly unless you knew his "secret"...and that involved a little extra finger action during the bend and release.

WalshFan88
04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Nope, he uses another finger to flick a string in that opening other than with the pick. He made a bit point of saying that left hand technique was easy and anyone could learn that (right....any virtuoso!). But it was the right hand technique that you needed to really pay attention to. He went on to say that you couldn't do that Funk 49 opening correctly unless you knew his "secret"...and that involved a little extra finger action during the bend and release.

Hmm. I've played Funk #49 note-for-note for years in the Stone Eagles! I always just picked the note but never thought of using a finger to do it. I know all of the notes exact in Funk #49 and it's always sounded like the recording with nothing missing- I could always nail that sound with a Strat and the Twin Reverb. So I think you can make it sound like the recording with a pick even though that's not how he does it. In fact I learned all of the songs note for note for the tribute band. So I think you can play Funk #49 with the pick, but I'll try using the ring finger on the catching the 'B' string. Funk must be the only song he does that on because I've watched right hand closeups of him playing Eagles songs and he never uses his fingers - just the flatpick. But I'll have to see if I can find a closeup of "Funk".

MikeA
04-26-2011, 11:07 AM
That was on one of the Joe Walsh Instructional Videos that I have on VHS. It is a very subtle nuance.

I think I'm switching to a different ASUS mobo.

ASUS M4A88T-V EVO/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

It isn't that different other than it is about $20 more but has HDMI on it as well as onboard video so it is saving me a bit in the cost of an addon video card.

I liked the potential of overclocking capability on the mobo as well as through BIOS.

WalshFan88
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
That was on one of the Joe Walsh Instructional Videos that I have on VHS. It is a very subtle nuance.

It has to be the B string. Because he bends up the G, picks the B, and releases the G. That's the way I've always seen him do it.. And I just watched a Youtube video and it looks like it's the B he is using his finger on..... I've been playing all of the notes dead on but I'll have to use my finger instead of the pick to catch the B.

MikeA
04-26-2011, 11:15 AM
"B" string sounds right for the pluck. It's not a very exaggerated note...more an accent of very short duration. But Joe was emphatic about it and spent more time in the video talking about that little nuance than anything else on the video. I'll have to dig it out and watch it again if I can find a VHS player somewhere.

WalshFan88
04-26-2011, 11:18 AM
"B" string sounds right for the pluck. It's not a very exaggerated note...more an accent of very short duration. But Joe was emphatic about it and spent more time in the video talking about that little nuance than anything else on the video. I'll have to dig it out and watch it again if I can find a VHS player somewhere.

No it's not exaggerated at all. You barely pick it. You kind of "Mute" it with your palm. Just a quick pick and then hurry up and release the G. Then into that Funk chording.

WalshFan88
04-26-2011, 02:59 PM
Yo Mike did any of those instructional videos make it out on DVD???? I don't have a VHS player lol. I'd like to see Walsh talking about the songs. What other songs does he show?!

MikeA
04-26-2011, 03:10 PM
Can't remember the answers to any of those questions Austin.

I have the one on VHS that we were looking at on YouTube a while back of him showing how to go through the motions of tweaking the truss rod. And that one that I just was talking about. I think maybe those are the only two I have. You might look a the instructional videos that places like Musicians Friend have. It might still be offered there. Looked like it might have been in the 80's when he made them.

MikeA
04-28-2011, 10:46 AM
Interesting (and EXPENSIVE) problem! Our electricity bill has doubled this year from this same time last year. I'm talking "usage" and not just money so increased costs of electricity do not pertain to the problem.

We've tried everything that is plugged in...watching the meter run while shutting down various appliances one at a time.

Guess what:

The problem seems to be MY PERSONAL DESKTOP COMPUTER! There was a visible change in the speed the electricity meter outside was spinning when I shut my computer down!

It's been running "hot" for a couple of years. I've been monitoring the board and disk temps with some software I have. As a result, I robbed an old computer of its fans and added two of them to my antique case and that helped bring the temps down but they are still way up there.

I'm not quite financially ready to finance a new build (around $700 for the new build) so am going to try to cool the old beast by taking the side covers off of it. I'll remove the fans too but I'm afraid that when I do this, I'll lose the mobo or components on it. The disk drives scare me the most. I just have too much "data" such as music and photos that I just can't afford to lose. But I have no where to back them up! I'm totally maxed out on disk space on every computer on my network <LOL>

MikeA
04-28-2011, 11:40 AM
Follow-up on the computer:

I've completely shut it down. The MOBO temps were continuing to climb way over the previous marks set when I ran a stress test on it. I use Prime95 and really generate the heat with it. But the marks are much higher (10 to 15 degrees C) over what they were 6 months ago.

So I'm killing the Desktop for now and will watch the electricity usage over the next couple of weeks. If it drops significantly, then no matter about the finances, I'll HAVE to get another desktop put together. I may have to alter my mobo requirements and get one that has at least one IEEE port on it to plug in my old dinosaur drives into to copy them. I sure don't want to fry one of those drives before I salvage the data off of them!

I moved my notebook downstairs and hardwired it into the network rather than using wireless. Thank God it's still running okay! But I sure miss my tunes. They are all over on the Desktop. I have reduced size photos all loaded up on my photo website so I won't completely lose them.

But all that MUSIC!

And I can't record now! Amps are still working though so I can make just as much noise!

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 12:43 PM
Hate to be the bearer of bad news Mike but it sounds like that Mobo is going to bite the dust....I'd be trying to get a build underway as soon as it's financially feasible.

MikeA
04-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm on the same page with you Austin. Got it shut completely down now and will fire it up only one more time after I get a new build completed. That will occur only so that I can retrieve the data off the old disk drives (I have 3 of them!) two 60gb and one 40gb. They are maxed!

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 01:43 PM
I'm on the same page with you Austin. Got it shut completely down now and will fire it up only one more time after I get a new build completed. That will occur only so that I can retrieve the data off the old disk drives (I have 3 of them!) two 60gb and one 40gb. They are maxed!

Yeah I wouldn't run it again. I'd wait until your build is done and turn it on just long enough to retrieve your data and then I'd take the hard drive out of the old one and get rid of the old tower.

MikeA
04-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Yup, That's my plan Austin.

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 06:31 PM
Yup, That's my plan Austin.

Good deal.

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 08:12 PM
I've been playing "Funk #49" with the little finger part and while it sounds pretty much the same, it does feel more "correct" to me and seems to go well.

I've also been practicing learning slide guitar in Open E tuning. My first song I'm working on of course is "Rocky Mountain Way".

MikeA
04-28-2011, 08:14 PM
Which guitar are you using for your slide work? Have you loaded it up with heavier strings and raised the action any?

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 08:17 PM
Which guitar are you using for your slide work? Have you loaded it up with heavier strings and raised the action any?

The Gibson SG with the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. And yes I definitely raised the action A LOT. I'm still using 10s on it though as I think to use 11s I'd have to get the nut slots widened and I dunno if this will be my permanent slide guitar or not.

I've tried glass, brass, steel, and ceramic/porcelain and keep coming back to the ceramic/porcelain Dunlop Joe Perry "Boneyard" signature slide. I love it the most. But I have one of each. I want to get a couple more porcelain slides. I'd like to get the Keb Mo slide and Billy Gibbons slide. And also the Derek Trucks Corcicidin Blues Bottle Glass Slide. All of my slides are from Dunlop. :) I love that company.

WalshFan88
04-28-2011, 09:29 PM
Also Mike I was going to mention that when you get your new tower built you ought to get a Firewire 800 card. It's a really fast interface and you could get an external drive to store your recordings on. :)

MikeA
04-29-2011, 10:27 AM
The Gibson SG with the Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates pickups. And yes I definitely raised the action A LOT. I'm still using 10s on it though as I think to use 11s I'd have to get the nut slots widened and I dunno if this will be my permanent slide guitar or not.

I've tried glass, brass, steel, and ceramic/porcelain and keep coming back to the ceramic/porcelain Dunlop Joe Perry "Boneyard" signature slide. I love it the most. But I have one of each. I want to get a couple more porcelain slides. I'd like to get the Keb Mo slide and Billy Gibbons slide. And also the Derek Trucks Corcicidin Blues Bottle Glass Slide. All of my slides are from Dunlop. :) I love that company.

I really didn't like the Corcicidin slide that much. The end is capped and it won't fit as far down on my finger as I prefer. Also, since the bottle has a neck, the interior is larger and it feels really loose on my finger.

I prefer the pyrex thickwalled slides myself. But then, I really don't play slide. Never got the hang of it.

You shouldn't have to change strings. It will probably sound different and I think better though if you do. However, during those passages where you wish to play the slide "normally", you'll have a lot more trouble with the high action HEAVY string when you try to press a fret. Trade-off. I believe Joe does use heavier strings but he doesn't do as much "fingering" when he plays slide as a lot of slide players use.

MikeA
04-29-2011, 10:30 AM
Since I've got my notebook screen and I have that 19" widescreen from my desktop that wasn't in use, I set the widescreen up as a second monitor to be an extension of my notebook's display.

Sort of neat. I can drag a "Border" tab off the notebook display and drop it over on the wide screen and then switch to the eMail tab on the notebook and watch both simultaneously without having to switch tabs.,

I could get used to that!

MikeA
04-29-2011, 12:32 PM
Austin,

Talk to me about:

Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

This InTel chip costs about the same as a AMD quad-core phenom 955. The specs on the chip aren't bad and I'm quite sure that it would meet all my needs.

However, I am not sure I understand. I see talk about "graphics" on the chip. Does that mean that with that chip you need no "on board video" on the mobo nor do you need a graphics card?

I know very little about Sandybridge and Clarkdale and all those other slang terms used by the users of Intel chips.

WalshFan88
04-29-2011, 02:57 PM
Austin,

Talk to me about:

Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core Desktop Processor BX80616I3550

This InTel chip costs about the same as a AMD quad-core phenom 955. The specs on the chip aren't bad and I'm quite sure that it would meet all my needs.

However, I am not sure I understand. I see talk about "graphics" on the chip. Does that mean that with that chip you need no "on board video" on the mobo nor do you need a graphics card?

I know very little about Sandybridge and Clarkdale and all those other slang terms used by the users of Intel chips.

Looks like a GREAT one Mike.

As far as the graphics - I'm not sure but I would still get a video card.. I like NVidia myself.

MikeA
04-29-2011, 03:27 PM
Looks like a GREAT one Mike.

As far as the graphics - I'm not sure but I would still get a video card.. I like NVidia myself.

Well, I do NOTHING that is graphics intensive. Anything that comes on a mobo would probably be okay as long as it would let me set the graphics ratio correctly for a wide screen and for a normal screen.

What I mean is that I don't play games. No games. Don't fly Flight Simulator. Don't play computer golf. Certainly do not play those interactive online games. In short, I don't do anything that takes an Einstein Graphics Card to handle at faster than light speeds.

That's why I was asking about that i3 chip. It sounded as though it has built in graphics to handle normal application graphics needs...i.e. not GAMING needs. REAPER, my DAW, uses tons of memory and makes heavy demands on the CPU but it doesn't have a lot of heavy graphics so it woudn't do me any good at all to have a killer graphics card...or even a "get by" card if the mobo already handles it.

But there is a lot greater variety of mobos to chose from if you do NOT need graphics on-board. So I was looking for a non-graphics mobo and then add a cheap graphics card to it to get a signal out. But if the Intel i3 has graphics built into it, I could completely forget about a graphics card. Always add one latter if the need existed.

WalshFan88
04-29-2011, 05:23 PM
Well, I do NOTHING that is graphics intensive. Anything that comes on a mobo would probably be okay as long as it would let me set the graphics ratio correctly for a wide screen and for a normal screen.

What I mean is that I don't play games. No games. Don't fly Flight Simulator. Don't play computer golf. Certainly do not play those interactive online games. In short, I don't do anything that takes an Einstein Graphics Card to handle at faster than light speeds.

That's why I was asking about that i3 chip. It sounded as though it has built in graphics to handle normal application graphics needs...i.e. not GAMING needs. REAPER, my DAW, uses tons of memory and makes heavy demands on the CPU but it doesn't have a lot of heavy graphics so it woudn't do me any good at all to have a killer graphics card...or even a "get by" card if the mobo already handles it.

But there is a lot greater variety of mobos to chose from if you do NOT need graphics on-board. So I was looking for a non-graphics mobo and then add a cheap graphics card to it to get a signal out. But if the Intel i3 has graphics built into it, I could completely forget about a graphics card. Always add one latter if the need existed.

I'm not a gamer either and need nothing fancy but I'm a sucker for good "picture" and having great color and good resolution on the screen.

The processor sounds like it will cover it though!

MikeA
04-29-2011, 08:11 PM
I'll keep reading up on them. I still haven't convinced myself that I want to go Intel. Sure have had good luck with AMD over the past 20 years.

WalshFan88
04-29-2011, 08:38 PM
I'll keep reading up on them. I still haven't convinced myself that I want to go Intel. Sure have had good luck with AMD over the past 20 years.

I'm the same way but with Intel. I've loved Intel for a long time and never been a big fan of AMD. I remember in the early days of the compatibility problems and also some spotty quality and things of that nature but I'm sure that's long gone. I've always been an Intel fan. My tower is an old one but it has a Pentium 4.

MikeA
04-29-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't think you'll find anyone these days questioning the reliability or compatibility of AMD chips. By the same token, no one with a lick of objectivity will argue the fact that Intel is acknowledged faster and of higher "evolution". But AMD has hung in there producing very credible chips and they have kept the cost down on them to keep them affordable for the "medium" Speed Freak with shallow pockets.

I'll go so far as to say that in the 20 years I've owned AMD, I have never had a compatibility problem nor have I had one die on me.

So it boils down to a couple of issues

#1 Intel is faster. It's that simple.
#2 Intel costs about twice as much for each .1GHz. But when you reach the ceiling for AMD, Intel keeps on going higher in both speed and cost. So really, it is the same as #1...Intel is faster!
#3 For AMD, if ultrasonic speeds are not crucial to you, then you can get more bang for your buck with AMD.

In either case, reliability and compatibility are not issues. Just speed, costs, and Name.

Now, if I were into heavy duty gaming where having that extra speed makes the difference in getting an advantage over your opponents, the I'd be considering nothing but Intel. A good friend of mine is such a player. He spent some $900 for his mobo and Intel Processor. He has a $450 graphics card and is wanting to crossfire another just like it. His computer has the OS and Virtual Memory space all on a 250Gb Solid State drive. His computer smokes! To keep it from flaming, he has FIVE fans in the case and a liquid cooling system on his Processor Chip. It's wonderful for games. But he can't tell any difference on the applications other than games. Most of them use only one CPU core anyway though he has some sort of management tool that lets him assign which core he wants his application to run on so he can have multiple applications running (up to four of them) and all of them running at the same time fully utilizing their own core and not interferring with the other apps running.

What that means is that he can boot up Microsoft Word, have a browser running, have an on-line chat going on and maybe have his Outlook
email running. And by doing it the way he does it, it's like running only one application on a single core processor that is really fast. Cool. But in no way worth the money other than for that one advantage that he's gained for his use in gaming.

For me, without the need for speed in gaming, I'm quite sure that a dual core processor would do me nicely. Especially one that I could play around with overclocking on just so I'd know what that's all about. I've done it a little but never had a cool enough case and cooling system in my machines to really give it more than a cursory look. I'd like to get a little more serious about it.

And with AMD, their dual core processors have a high percent of success in unlocking the other two cores and using them successfully and stably. That would be a pretty neat gamble. And I'd lose nothing if the one I got didn't unlock. I'd still have a great processor for all the scenarios I can envision.

WalshFan88
04-30-2011, 02:41 AM
I would go with an Intel "Core" processor but that's just me! :D

WalshFan88
04-30-2011, 05:11 AM
Mike I just posted some guitar history in the "Every Picture Tells A Story" thread. I KNOW it's stuff you already know but maybe you could read it and add to the discussion or tell me if I made a mistake or forgot something! :D

WalshFan88
04-30-2011, 05:32 AM
I kinda like this Tele. It has a Strat middle pickup.

http://www.theminorchord.com/images/tele3.jpg

MikeA
04-30-2011, 12:05 PM
I'm not ignoring you Austin. We've been trying to run down more of our extreme power useage and found that it probably wasn't "all" due to my computer.

The only way we have to check it is to time the revolution of the wheel on the electric meter. Our time on the revolution was at around 8 seconds when we were at max useage. I have unplugged my Desktop and am running only the laptops (two of them) along with Verna's HP desktop. I did tear into her computer and cleaned all the cobwebs out of it. The CPU cooler was really clogged. It didn't make any difference that we could notice on the time of revolution, but her computer should run cooler now!

We shut all breakers off and of course the wheel all but quit spinning. We then powered them up one at a time noting the time of revolution on each breaker. We took a huge hit on the breaker that has a refrigerator in the garage on it. We left that breaker on but unplugged the frig out in the garage. Only keep pop and water cold in it.

With that done, our time of revolution went from around 8 or 9 seconds to around 22 seconds. The longer it takes to revolve, the less electricity we are using. So, with killing my computer and disabling that frig, we, we cut our power consumption by something close to 2/3's! I'd say that is significant!

Verna's computer alone was causing about a 2 second faster spin on the meter. That's a lot, but not totally unexpected. Our pumps in the watergardens are causing almost a 5 second increase in speed. We can't kill the watergarden pumps...to do so would allow the algae to really go wild and cause a bad mosquito problem....plus all the fish would die. I might be able to find a more efficient pump though.

But just recovering almost 2/3's of our electricity drain is going to make a huge difference in out power bill.

MikeA
05-01-2011, 05:05 PM
Man, they are REALLY making it difficult to hold off on getting a new computer. This one is on their "special list". It is $100 cheaper than the one I was building on paper. Great case, good power supply, Asus mobo and a 6-core AMD PCU. I would want to stick in another 4gb of memory right off the bat, but wouldn't have to worry about a GPU for a while if ever. I might want to stick a more efficient heat sink and fan on it though.

$550

OOPS....just noticed that it doesn't have a CD/DVD unit. Add another $20 for that along with a SATA cable or two. And I noticed that there are complaints about the case not cooling as well as it should and also the fit on the side door panel. Thermaltake usually puts out better cases than that! So, With the addition of a PCU cooler, A DVD/CD, More Memory...I think I'll just stick with my origianal build.

This one does have a 6-core PCU, but it is rated at 3.0GHz and since I'll use most likely no more that one or two cores, I'd be better off going with a cheaper PCU that has less cores that are rated at a higher speed.

I'll spend a lot of time thinking about this because once I get a new puter, I'll be using it for 5 or 6 years at least!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.634260

WalshFan88
05-06-2011, 01:51 AM
Heheheh Mike.... Sounds like a good deal to me!

MikeA
05-06-2011, 08:41 AM
The "other thing" about those "specials" at Newegg: Most of them do not come loaded with an OS...so there's another $100. I have a love/hate relationship with buying a new computer or guitar. They are both major investments for my entertainment budget and I'm anal about getting the most bang for my buck! Lots of research that is mostly fun to do. But by the time I'm through doing the research I have so much data to process that I'm never convinced that I've made the right choices~!

EaglesKiwi
05-07-2011, 07:33 AM
The "other thing" about those "specials" at Newegg: Most of them do not come loaded with an OS...so there's another $100. I have a love/hate relationship with buying a new computer or guitar. They are both major investments for my entertainment budget and I'm anal about getting the most bang for my buck! Lots of research that is mostly fun to do. But by the time I'm through doing the research I have so much data to process that I'm never convinced that I've made the right choices~!

Sounds just like my husband! By the time he's done the online research, the shoe-leather research and read articles in magazines, the model is obsolete!

MikeA
05-07-2011, 07:37 AM
The "research" is at LEAST 50% of the fun in getting something "techie" and new! Wouldn't be nearly as "good" if I just went out and bought it. I've got to have that anticipation to frost the cake.

EaglesKiwi
05-08-2011, 05:33 AM
The "research" is at LEAST 50% of the fun in getting something "techie" and new! Wouldn't be nearly as "good" if I just went out and bought it. I've got to have that anticipation to frost the cake.

I understand :-) - enjoy it!!

WalshFan88
05-12-2011, 02:52 PM
Well since this thread had stopped I HAD to give it CPR and revive it! :lol:

I have been playing BASS GUITAR for the last almost 2 weeks. Nothing but me and my Fender Jazz Bass. So I wanted to go over the 2 most popular basses of all time, and go over some of the history, famous players, and which one is better for a certain type of music. I will start with Fender's first bass.

Fender Precision Bass (aka P-Bass):

http://i56.tinypic.com/21oxwuq.jpg (first model)

http://i51.tinypic.com/63r9fq.jpg (second/most popular model)

This was Fender's first bass, and the first Electric Bass Guitar made into production. It was released in 1951. It was called the Precision Bass, due to it's ability to play more precisely than a double (upright) bass. It looked very similar to their Telecaster electric 6-string guitar. It had one pickup and two knobs (volume and tone). In 1953, Fender added contours to the body of the bass to make it more comfortable for the player of the bass. In 1957, the biggest changes were made since the original '51 bass. It received updates to make it appear more like the Stratocaster electric guitar. A new pickguard, headstock design, and pickups were among the changes. The new pickup was a split coil pickup offering noise cancellation and a punchier, more aggressive sound. In 1959, Fender started putting Rosewood fretboards on the necks of all of their instruments (Telecaster, Stratocaster, etc) after Leo Fender saw his maple-necked guitars on TV looking dirty and worn. In 1967, Fender made it an option to have either rosewood or maple, where as from '59 until then, it was only rosewood.

Sound Quality: Punchy, aggressive, precise
Famous Players: James Jamerson, Duck Dunn, Bob Babbitt, John Entwhistle, Phil Lynott, Tom Hamilton, Bill Black, Duff McKagan, Cliff Williams, and Randy Meisner

Fender Jazz Bass (aka J-Bass):

http://i55.tinypic.com/2f0eypf.jpg

In 1960, Fender decided to make a "Deluxe" model bass, with what they thought to be improvements over the Precision, as they did with the Stratocaster being an improvement over the Telecaster. They called it the Jazz Bass for its smooth mellow tone. The body of the bass was very much like that of the Stratocaster, considered by many to be more sleek and sexy and comfortable to play. It came with a Rosewood fretboard (Maple neck versions weren't offered until about '67, when Fender also offered them on the Precision), 2 stacked knobs, and 2 single coil pickups. Unlike the Precision Bass pickup, the Jazz Bass pickups were not noise-cancelling. They had a very midrangey, smooth, mellow tone yet brighter with a lot of clarity and versatility. In 1961 Fender redesigned the knobs to have 3 separate knobs. 2 volumes and 1 tone control instead of the prior stacked knobs. People generally preferred the new design with the separate controls. This bass was priced (and still is today) more than a Precision, as Fender considered it their "Deluxe" bass model of their lineup of guitars.

Sound Quality: Smooth, bright, midrange-focused
Famous Players: Jaco Pastorius, Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones, Berry Oakley, Noel Redding, Marcus Miller, Steve Bailey, Larry Graham, Victor Bailey, and Timothy B. Schmit

Eagles' Preference: To tie this into the Eagles, Randy Meisner was a Precision Bass guy (the 2nd model) and Timothy B. Schmit is a Jazz Bass guy. Those were their instruments. Although you can see Tim with a Precision and Randy with a Jazz, they mainly played their above bass both live and in studio.

Austin's Preference: I prefer the Jazz Bass. But I would like to get a Precision Bass to have in the collection. :rofl: But I'm a Jazz guy like Tim.

Freypower
05-12-2011, 06:55 PM
Austin, how do you feel about Rickenbacker basses, which are preferred by Paul McCartney along with his legendary Hofner? I'm not trying to sidetrack you from Fender; just interested.

WalshFan88
05-12-2011, 07:13 PM
Austin, how do you feel about Rickenbacker basses, which are preferred by Paul McCartney along with his legendary Hofner? I'm not trying to sidetrack you from Fender; just interested.

Great basses! Fender though has dominated the electric bass market for quite some time with their P and J bass models and 90 percent of music since their release have been recorded with them but that doesn't mean there aren't any other good basses.

Rickenbacker makes a great bass. Randy Meisner used one quite a bit on the Hotel California tour (can be seen in the video too). Also, Music Man (made by Ernie Ball) makes a great "Stingray" model bass. Hofner makes the great violin bass but honestly I've never liked them myself playing-wise but they are a great quality and certainly legendary (thanks to Paul & The Beatles). Gibson has made some basses, mainly the SG bass and the Thunderbird (Bass version of the Firebird). But honestly Fender has dominated the electric bass market and has been on more recordings than any other electric bass guitar. But there are lots of great basses out there. Warwick also makes a good bass, as does Carvin (Tim has played these).

WalshFan88
05-15-2011, 11:02 PM
Mike (if you read this) - is everything ok?! You seem kind of quiet lately - I haven't seen hardly any posts from you. Hope everything is ok!

MikeA
05-16-2011, 08:23 AM
Things are okay. Just taking a break from the forum for a while. Got so much going on with building the new computer and opening up our yard for Summer (if it ever gets here). Two ponds and a swimming pool plus residing part of the house. With one computer on the blink, I don't have one upstairs any more so have to go to the basement to link up. By the time I can do that, I'm sick of looking at computers!

WalshFan88
05-16-2011, 01:50 PM
Things are okay. Just taking a break from the forum for a while. Got so much going on with building the new computer and opening up our yard for Summer (if it ever gets here). Two ponds and a swimming pool plus residing part of the house. With one computer on the blink, I don't have one upstairs any more so have to go to the basement to link up. By the time I can do that, I'm sick of looking at computers!

Understandable! I just miss your posts and our discussions - I feel like I'm the only rooster in the hen house so to speak! :hilarious: :lol: But then again, that may have it's benefits though too! :heybaby: :rofl: Just kiddin'.

WalshFan88
05-19-2011, 01:03 AM
I put a Hot Rail pickup from Seymour Duncan in the bridge of my white Strat. Totally cool fat humbucker sound but can be split to sound like a strat pickup! Demo coming soon!

WalshFan88
05-22-2011, 05:00 AM
I just ordered a new overdrive pedal. Basically a modified Ibanez Tubescreamer circuit. Based on the Tube Screamer but with more tone shaping. The demos sound killer. Expect a video sometime next week! I plan on pairing it with the Paisley Drive for a real big sound as a lead booster.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-22-2011, 03:07 PM
I put a Hot Rail pickup from Seymour Duncan in the bridge of my white Strat. Totally cool fat humbucker sound but can be split to sound like a strat pickup! Demo coming soon!

Okay Austin - what language is this? I totally don't understand any of this. Maybe I'll learn something from your demo. :lol:

WalshFan88
05-22-2011, 03:35 PM
Okay Austin - what language is this? I totally don't understand any of this. Maybe I'll learn something from your demo. :lol:

The demo is in the Member Sound Bytes thread! :) It's called the "Another Hotrodded Strat" video.

WalshFan88
05-23-2011, 09:47 PM
I just bought another guitar. Well, to specify I TRADED for another guitar. I traded an ESP foreign made guitar and some cheap pedals straight up for a:

ERNIE BALL MUSIC MAN

Yes, the same type Joe and Stu have been playing. American made guitar by the Ernie Ball company. I don't have it yet but plan on picking it up this week. Watch out for pics and a demo video!

WalshFan88
05-25-2011, 02:24 PM
I just received the overdrive pedal I ordered a few days back. It's a killer bluesy pedal. No fizzy distortion, and is ALL ANALOG, like I like it. It pairs wonderfully with my Wampler Paisley Drive, another analog pedal. The Paisley has more gain for more of a rock thing, this pedal is more of a bluesy Tubescreamer type pedal. Makes you want to play blues ALL day long!

I will record a demo on Friday (too busy tomorrow) and I shall have it up by the weekend. I will record this demo with my new Music Man guitar so it's going to be a 2-in-1 demo.

WalshFan88
05-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Here is a picture my new guitar at the store!

http://i54.tinypic.com/aewl4y.jpg

And here is a picture of the one and only Joe Walsh playing the same model:

http://i54.tinypic.com/tak7j7.jpg

True story - I didn't know Joe played this model til AFTER I bought it. But when I googled the model name and found out Joe plays/played one that made it just that much cooler! ;) :hilarious:

Ernie Ball Music Man's are fantastic guitars, kind of like PRS they are making the best production line guitars right now along with Fender and PRS. This will NOT be my last Music Man guitar. I want to get some more! Joe and Stu seem to LOVE them, and Felder used one on the HFO Eagles tour too.

sodascouts
05-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Wow, that IS cool!

WalshFan88
05-29-2011, 07:50 PM
I love this guitar! It's going to become one of my main gigging guitars because it cuts through the mix like a knife yet retains thickness in the rhythm.

WalshFan88
05-30-2011, 03:24 AM
Here's me with the new guitar!

http://i55.tinypic.com/a30eoh.jpg

05-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Congrats on your newest guitar Austin! I know you must be lovin' it!

sodascouts
05-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Nice!

AzEaglesFan
05-30-2011, 07:01 PM
Austin, Have you named her yet????

WalshFan88
05-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Austin, Have you named her yet????

Not yet, but I'm leaning towards Roberta! :D It'll come to me eventually - all of them do! :D

AzEaglesFan
05-31-2011, 12:29 AM
Have you named any of them after Joe?? Joey, Joi, Joie ? lol

WalshFan88
05-31-2011, 12:53 AM
Have you named any of them after Joe?? Joey, Joi, Joie ? lol

I have one named Josie! Is that close enough?! I typically name my guitars after females and my amps after males LOL... I don't think of a guitar as a guy. Guitars are too sexy - hence the female name. Amplifiers IMO are more masculine and tough and guy-like, hence the male name... When you put them together they make great music! :hilarious:

05-31-2011, 09:20 AM
Guitars are too sexy - hence the female name. Amplifiers IMO are more masculine and tough and guy-like, hence the male name... When you put them together they make great music! :hilarious:

Well - at least until they get tired of one another. :lol:

AzEaglesFan
05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
And here I thought that you gave them female names because you liked to hold them close. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
And here I thought that you gave them female names because you liked to hold them close. :hilarious:

That's another reason! Guitars are females - that's just my thoughts on it! Amps ROAR and are gnarly and masculine.

WalshFan88
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
Well - at least until they get tired of one another. :lol:

:rofl:

WalshFan88
06-04-2011, 06:24 PM
So I'm looking and I'm thinking about going to put some nickel pickup covers on "Ruby".... Right now she's naked/uncovered. :hilarious: The ones I want are the non shiny ones, to make it look more like a vintage guitar. I'm going to work on a client's computer this week to change out a hard drive and I'm hoping to take the money from that call and buy some covers! :hilarious:

In case you are wondering WTH I'm talking about - here is a Les Paul (the kind of guitar Ruby is) UNCOVERED:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2i0ugeb.jpg

And here is a Les Paul COVERED:

http://i55.tinypic.com/2i8i4it.jpg

You can see the silver/nickel covers in the middle of the guitar. Right now Ruby looks like the first pic, and I'm gonna make her look like the second pic when I get done with her! :D

WalshFan88
06-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Just so you can see what Ruby herself looks like right now, I took this pic. I put it into B&W but you can still see the exposed pickups with no covers as I mentioned above. I think she'd be even better looking with some "raw nickel" covers. :hilarious:

http://i56.tinypic.com/68ah49.jpg

06-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Okay Austin - you baited me right into this. First of all, I have no idea what the purpose of those covers are. But more importantly, it is totally a mind-blowing experience to hear a man complaining about Ruby being naked. :shock:

WalshFan88
06-05-2011, 04:31 PM
Okay Austin - you baited me right into this. First of all, I have no idea what the purpose of those covers are. But more importantly, it is totally a mind-blowing experience to hear a man complaining about Ruby being naked. :shock:

:hilarious: :rofl: It's mainly to make the guitar look more like the "Holy Grail Les Paul", the '59 Standard which typically had those covers on it. The modern look is to have the covers off. When I got her, she had no covers. I decided to install new pickups which came without them also. Now I decided I would prefer it look more like a vintage guitar and have that smoother sound you get with covers on. It tames some of the treble/high end you get from the sound. So it actually makes a difference in the sound too. Believe me she sounds fine and looks fine right now naked (and I don't mind a bit! :D) but I'm going for that '59 Les Paul look and sound. ;)

WalshFan88
06-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I just bought a box of 11 gauge strings. Making the move slowly but surely. Love 11s for that thick bluesy tone.

WalshFan88
06-11-2011, 01:51 AM
Wow, I feel kind of alone here in this thread lately! :rofl: I feel like I'm talking to myself! :hilarious: In all seriousness, I hope Mike is okay and doing well. I really miss his insight and our conversations and debates about gear and tech. :D

In the world of Gearland at my studio, right now I'm working on getting some more stompboxes for my big "play" pedalboard that I use for home or BIG gigs and I typically use a smaller board that I pick pedals off of the big board to take with me to a particular show. I'm wanting to get some more Wampler Pedals as well as a Fulltone OCD and Plimsoul. I also am really obsessing over Tweed 50s era Fender amps right now too and want a Tweed Deluxe something awful! :D

EaglesKiwi
06-11-2011, 06:55 AM
Wow, I feel kind of alone here in this thread lately! :rofl: I feel like I'm talking to myself! :hilarious: In all seriousness, I hope Mike is okay and doing well. I really miss his insight and our conversations and debates about gear and tech. :D

Not talking to yourself :wave:... I just don't have any insight about gear & tech to make it a conversation!

sodascouts
06-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I'm afraid I don't have much insight to offer either - but I do read it and find it interesting.

MikeA
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
I'm fine Austin...just burried in work. Our staff has been cut pretty radically and we've brought on three new clients (one being a rather large Automobile Manufacturer). Those of us left are having to really pick up a lot of slack and it doesn't leave me much time to get out on the Internet and play. Bummer too with the new computer screaming to be used!

I think it was in "Crossfire" that I read that SRV used really heavy gauge strings on his ole beat up Strat. In more than one instance, he literally cut the callouses of the tips of the fingers on his left hand and once in Fort Worth, sent a roadie to a drug store to buy Superglue to glue the ends of his fingers back on so he could finish his gig. You wouldn't do that with lightweight strings. But SRV would play most all night in the clubs and then go to school and sleep during classes. Einstein he wasn't, but he sure could make a guitar sing!

WalshFan88
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
I'm fine Austin...just burried in work. Our staff has been cut pretty radically and we've brought on three new clients (one being a rather large Automobile Manufacturer). Those of us left are having to really pick up a lot of slack and it doesn't leave me much time to get out on the Internet and play. Bummer too with the new computer screaming to be used!

I think it was in "Crossfire" that I read that SRV used really heavy gauge strings on his ole beat up Strat. In more than one instance, he literally cut the callouses of the tips of the fingers on his left hand and once in Fort Worth, sent a roadie to a drug store to buy Superglue to glue the ends of his fingers back on so he could finish his gig. You wouldn't do that with lightweight strings. But SRV would play most all night in the clubs and then go to school and sleep during classes. Einstein he wasn't, but he sure could make a guitar sing!

Glad to hear you are doing ok Mike!

SRV is my favorite Strat guy... I love his playing and tone he got. He was a monster player. Used 13s and what not tuned to Eflat. He had a LOT of strength and energy, that's for sure.

WalshFan88
06-12-2011, 11:22 AM
A photo I shot with the PRS Custom 24 10-Top this morning.... I love this guitar! So versatile and plays like a dream. Sounds pretty good too! ;)

http://i51.tinypic.com/jil15y.jpg

Prettymaid
06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
That's another reason! Guitars are females - that's just my thoughts on it! Amps ROAR and are gnarly and masculine.

I had to get in on this discussion! So, do ya think a female guitar player names her guitars guy names! :lol:

WalshFan88
06-12-2011, 06:43 PM
I had to get in on this discussion! So, do ya think a female guitar player names her guitars guy names! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: Not sure. :D

WalshFan88
06-14-2011, 05:08 AM
PM, just so you don't think I'm crazy for my guitar names or think I am the only one, I tried to compile a list of some famous guitarists who have named their guitars female names after forming a bond with that particular guitar. :hilarious:

BB King - Lucille
Billy Gibbons - Pearly
Stevie Ray Vaughan - First Wife
Eric Clapton - Blackie
Gary Rossington - Bernice
Joe Perry - Billie

But really the female association is due to the fact that a guitar has curves, is GREAT to look at and is beautiful, and let's face it - most guys don't like the thought of something that is a "guy" being right up against them or in their lap all the time. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but I much prefer females. ;) Now, I have heard of female guitarists naming their guitars after guys and there are some guys who name their guitars with male names but generally speaking most guys who name their guitars use a female name. Just look around on guitar forums. You'll find out! :D Another reason is that for a lot of guys, their #1 guitar is like their wife or soulmate and is always there for them and so that's another reason. I know my Ruby is definitely my "musical" soulmate and always will be. I never get tired of playing or looking at "her" and always feel right back at home when I pick her up. Sorry for getting sappy, but a lot of guys have a deep emotional bond with their #1 guitar. Ruby will be buried with me. I've already given instructions. BB King and Lucille is a perfect example of that. Ruby is the one I would grab in the event of a fire. Ruby is the one that always puts a smile on my face out of all of my guitars. I would live in a shoebox before I'd even consider selling her. I would live in an empty house. She's the one that's always there for me no matter what. She will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. We are "one". Soulmates for life! :heart:

tequila girl
06-14-2011, 07:26 AM
........and not forgetting Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger" http://www.willienelsongeneralstore.com/image-files/trigger_on_stand.jpg

WalshFan88
06-14-2011, 12:32 PM
........and not forgetting Willie Nelson's guitar "Trigger" http://www.willienelsongeneralstore.com/image-files/trigger_on_stand.jpg

His is one of the exceptions. It's just that 95 percent of guitarists who name their guitar choose a female name.... Just like Glenn with Old Black, that's the only other exception I can think of. But that name could actually be female. So it's hard to say. But generally speaking, guys name their guitars with female names and that's the way it's been since the early days. :)

Brooke
06-14-2011, 01:49 PM
Great explanation Austin! Now I get it! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
06-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Great explanation Austin! Now I get it! :thumbsup:

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Henley Honey
06-14-2011, 03:15 PM
But really the female association is due to the fact that a guitar has curves, is GREAT to look at and is beautiful, and let's face it - most guys don't like the thought of something that is a "guy" being right up against them or in their lap all the time. Not saying there is anything wrong with it but I much prefer females. ;) Now, I have heard of female guitarists naming their guitars after guys and there are some guys who name their guitars with male names but generally speaking most guys who name their guitars use a female name. Just look around on guitar forums. You'll find out! :D Another reason is that for a lot of guys, their #1 guitar is like their wife or soulmate and is always there for them and so that's another reason. I know my Ruby is definitely my "musical" soulmate and always will be. I never get tired of playing or looking at "her" and always feel right back at home when I pick her up. Sorry for getting sappy, but a lot of guys have a deep emotional bond with their #1 guitar. Ruby will be buried with me. I've already given instructions. BB King and Lucille is a perfect example of that. Ruby is the one I would grab in the event of a fire. Ruby is the one that always puts a smile on my face out of all of my guitars. I would live in a shoebox before I'd even consider selling her. I would live in an empty house. She's the one that's always there for me no matter what. She will have to be pried from my cold dead fingers. We are "one". Soulmates for life! :heart:

Put these thoughts into a song. We know you can play it. Can you write it? I bet you could & it'd be a hit. Something along the lines of Michael McDonald's "You belong to me".

WalshFan88
06-14-2011, 11:35 PM
Put these thoughts into a song. We know you can play it. Can you write it? I bet you could & it'd be a hit. Something along the lines of Michael McDonald's "You belong to me".

It's easier for me to come up with music for a song than it is lyrics but I'm always trying to think of a song to write. I have lots of different music but no words. :( I will keep trying though and thanks for the idea! :)

WalshFan88
06-16-2011, 03:55 AM
I just picked up a Fulltone OCD overdrive pedal. I'm totally digging it. Very natural and sounds like the perfect cranked amplifier. It's probably the best pedal I've used to date. Don Felder uses one nowadays to recreate the tone on the leads to "Hotel California" in his solo band. He uses that through a Deluxe Reverb reissue.

Watch for a vid in the next couple days! :D

WalshFan88
06-18-2011, 04:51 AM
Just thought I'd report in with some more info about my new pedal (Fulltone OCD). I absolutely love it! It sounds SO good, totally gets a very Eagles tone either Walsh or Felder depending on what you are playing.

In fact I love it so much I'm probably going to buy another Fulltone overdrive pedal, this one is called the Plimsoul. It's a very unique overdrive that everyone loves to use with an OCD. So that's on my list to get soon after I recover financially from this pedal!

Still planning to shoot a video either today or tomorrow! :)

Troubadour
06-21-2011, 06:30 AM
I'm sure Mike and Austin especially will feel this guy's pain. I truly hope that, somehow, he will get his treasured guitar back...

To the people who stole my Les Paul (http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/2449158332.html)

Prettymaid
06-21-2011, 09:42 AM
PM, just so you don't think I'm crazy for my guitar names or think I am the only one, I tried to compile a list of some famous guitarists who have named their guitars female names after forming a bond with that particular guitar. :hilarious:

BB King - Lucille
Billy Gibbons - Pearly
Stevie Ray Vaughan - First Wife
Eric Clapton - Blackie
Gary Rossington - Bernice
Joe Perry - Billie

Aw Austin, I wasn't saying or thinking you were crazy, honest! I think it's sweet. I was just wondering after your 'passionate' description of your guitar how women guitarists feel about theirs. My mind just took it in that direction!

Now, what's the story with SRV naming his guitar First Wife? :hilarious:

WalshFan88
06-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Troub - That is a very sad story indeed. If I lost mine I would go insane and lose it completely. I do hope he gets it back!

PM - I'm not sure but his #1 guitar went by the names #1 or "First Wife". :hilarious: Not exactly sure how that came about! It was a heavily modified 1962 Fender Stratocaster. Stevie also had another guitar he called Lenny, after his 'real' wife's name, Lenora, because she bought him that guitar. Not exactly sure what she thought of him calling his #1 guitar "First Wife", though! ;) :rofl:

sodascouts
06-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I'm sure Mike and Austin especially will feel this guy's pain. I truly hope that, somehow, he will get his treasured guitar back...

To the people who stole my Les Paul (http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/rds/msg/2449158332.html)

Wow - poor guy!

WalshFan88
06-26-2011, 11:20 PM
So I'm getting ready to figure out a plan of what I want to buy while in Nashville (if you haven't seen my post in the "Life" thread, go read it so this will make sense about why I'm going).

I'm thinking I'm going to hit up 4 guitar stores and plan to go to Gruhn's, Rock Block, Corner Music, and World Music. I plan on having about $500 to spend so I'm probably going to be buying PEDALS and accessories. You know me and my pedal obsession. I can never have too many analog stompboxes! :D

Here are some pedals I've been considering that I know they stock down there:

Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
Analogman Blues Driver Overdrive
Catalinbread Formula No. 5 Overdrive
Xotic BB Preamp Overdrive
Wampler Ego Compressor
Wampler Analog Echo Delay

All of them are in the 150-250 range except for the Rockbox, which is a whopping 350 bucks but it is handmade using NOS (new old stock) diodes and resistors and capacitors and uses audiophile quality components and is guaranteed for life. It also comes in a hand painted swirly psychedelic unique enclosure. I've listened to YouTube demos of it and I think it's the best pedal I've ever heard. If it's in stock, I'll probably get it and one other pedal.

EaglesKiwi
06-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Do you go shopping AFTER the big event?? I'm wondering if talking to all the other music lovers will influence your decision making... :hilarious:

WalshFan88
06-27-2011, 06:39 AM
Do you go shopping AFTER the big event?? I'm wondering if talking to all the other music lovers will influence your decision making... :hilarious:

Haha unfortunately with the way the weekend is going to run, we will be shopping the day before the big event! :D We will get there on a Thursday evening just in time for dinner and then will go to bed. Then on Friday we will get up and eat breakfast and start going to all of these different guitar stores. Then we will probably eat lunch in between stores. Then we will probably go out and try to eat out and catch a live band or something. Then come back and go to bed. Then on Saturday we get up early, eat breakfast, and then head to Gibson for the big event. I will eat lunch while at the event. It lasts all day. Then I will come back to the hotel, eat dinner and go to bed. Then on Sunday we will get up after sleeping in and head home. Should be home late Sunday.

WalshFan88
07-02-2011, 02:24 AM
Not sure if I've posted this before but here are my pride and joy pieces of gear (excluding the pedalboard of course!).

http://i56.tinypic.com/2ih5c3d.jpg

I've held off on an amp name as I like to name my guitars after females and amps males but I have settled on Reverend, or "Rev" for short. And of course the guitar's name is Ruby, but you all hopefully know that by now, LOL! :D

WalshFan88
07-04-2011, 07:58 PM
I'm really looking forward to and getting excited about my Nashville trip. Especially looking forward to the Gibson event and pedal shopping. I love getting new pedals - it's like Christmas. :D

I've got a lot coming up that week. Harry Potter movie on the 15th, KISS concert on the 18th, leaving for Nashville the 21st, shopping on the 22nd, Gibson event on the 23rd, and coming home the 24th. Busy week, huh?! :hilarious:

EaglesKiwi
07-06-2011, 03:45 AM
I'm really looking forward to and getting excited about my Nashville trip. Especially looking forward to the Gibson event and pedal shopping. I love getting new pedals - it's like Christmas. :D

I've got a lot coming up that week. Harry Potter movie on the 15th, KISS concert on the 18th, leaving for Nashville the 21st, shopping on the 22nd, Gibson event on the 23rd, and coming home the 24th. Busy week, huh?! :hilarious:

Sounds great. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

07-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Won't be long now Austin. I know you must be getting really excited.

WalshFan88
07-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks EK and Dreamer! :)

I'm very excited. I leave in 15 days! :partytime: I'm really looking forward to it. I hope to get to buy some new guitar gear and I will come back and demo it for all of you good folks here! :D I doubt a get a guitar though (don't have the money unfortunately for that right now as this was a last minute invite and I didn't have time to save for one!) but hope to get some pedals or something.

WalshFan88
07-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Well as it turns out there is a small auction tomorrow in the next town over and there is a 1968 Fender Super Reverb amplifier on the sale bill. Wanna take a guess who is going to that auction?! :hilarious:

I had to reschedule a Dr appointment that was in the way as well as put off seeing Harry Potter another night. Here's to hoping I can get it! :pray:

Henley Honey
07-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Good luck! Fingers crossed for you.

sodascouts
07-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Well as it turns out there is a small auction tomorrow in the next town over and there is a 1968 Fender Super Reverb amplifier on the sale bill. Wanna take a guess who is going to that auction?! :hilarious:
Good luck to you!

WalshFan88
07-14-2011, 09:41 PM
Thanks everyone. I'm probably setting myself up for disappointment as there is probably someone else there that knows its worth but hey, at least I tried! :D

WalshFan88
07-15-2011, 08:13 PM
Well the good luck wishes worked! I got it for 500 bucks and its a 1500 dollar amp. Pics to come!

Henley Honey
07-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Congratulations!!!

You must be really "amp-ed" up about getting it! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
07-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Here it is:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_1267.jpg

I just got done playing through it. I literally cried. It sounds so good and it is the sound I've always been looking for. I'm so happy with my guitar sound. It sounds like Joe Walsh - no lie. I play RMW, LBG, WA, Funk #49, etc and it nails the sound. I literally haven't been this happy in a long time. I've had a rough time lately and this is just what I needed. I am smiling from ear to ear, over the moon with joy. It is the perfect amp for me. I am going to take it to my tech next week to get a "checkup" and possibly retubed. I love it so much.

It is a 1967 Fender Super Reverb. It has the original Blackface circuitry, only difference is the front panel is silver but has the same sound as a 65 Blackface. It is a rare version because of the 4 Black lines on the front panel and the edging around the front. The codes date it to November 1967. That's 22 years older than me! :hilarious: But it sounds mindblowing.

07-16-2011, 02:48 PM
Congratulations Austin! I get the feeling you are a bit excited about your newest gearhead acquisition. Enjoy!!!

Troubadour
07-16-2011, 03:26 PM
Awesome, Austin!

sodascouts
07-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Congrats!

Koala
07-17-2011, 02:17 AM
Congratulations Austin!!!

WalshFan88
07-17-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks everyone! :D

I'm very happy about this. I essentially got a $1,500 guitar amp for $500. I am taking it to my amp tech on Monday and I will leave it there for a couple weeks while I'm in Nashville so it can be looked over and if need be, parts fixed.

Judy
07-20-2011, 04:46 PM
Just found your guitar pics, Austin. Love the video of Take it Easy! "If you don't know this intro, there's something wrong with you." Love it!!!

WalshFan88
07-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Just found your guitar pics, Austin. Love the video of Take it Easy! "If you don't know this intro, there's something wrong with you." Love it!!!

Thanks!!!

Here is the link to my Photobucket account with all of my guitar pics if you haven't seen them:

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/

And yes - everyone should know those opening chords to TIE... :hilarious:

WalshFan88
07-22-2011, 09:04 PM
Well I thought I'd write real quick while I'm waiting for my pizza to arrive to the hotel room! :D

I spent my money today on 4 pedals (you don't even want to know how much these babies were, especially the swirly painted one! :hilarious:)

L-R: Rockbox Red Dog Distortion (Tom Petty guitar tone in a box, very gritty sound), Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive (Very creamy/rich yet clear), Xotic BB Preamp (Higher gain Marshall amp sound), and Xotic EP Booster (A volume boost that also warms up and overdrives your amp).

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_1288640x435.jpg

I can't wait to get home and try these out through my amps! I love them!

EaglesKiwi
07-23-2011, 05:57 AM
Oooh, new toys! Have fun!

Do you have to try each pedal with each amp & with every guitar...:nahnah:

or do you just go straight to the combo you think will be best to get a particular sound?

WalshFan88
07-23-2011, 08:02 AM
Oooh, new toys! Have fun!

Do you have to try each pedal with each amp & with every guitar...:nahnah:

or do you just go straight to the combo you think will be best to get a particular sound?

Well generally I try pedals through Fender amps as that is what I use. And then I try them with a humbucker guitar and a single coil guitar. And then I'm good to go! :D :nahnah: But honestly I know what I want, so I look for "it". I have a certain sound in my head that I want to hear, and those 4 had those sounds.

07-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Congrats on your new pedals, Austin. I'm happy that you're happy! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
07-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Well I couldn't end the trip without buying something special... So I bought one last pedal. :hilarious:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/IMG_1290640x480.jpg

This is a Pigtronix Aria Disnortion. Very smooth and very creamy. Think of the "One Of These Nights" solo tone or the tone on the "I Can't Tell You Why" solo.

WalshFan88
07-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Congrats on your new pedals, Austin. I'm happy that you're happy! :thumbsup:
Thanks! :D

Koala
07-24-2011, 02:22 AM
Congratulation on your new pedals, have fun with them!

WalshFan88
07-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Congratulation on your new pedals, have fun with them!

Thanks!

WalshFan88
07-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Wow, I feel like I'm dominating this thread anymore LOL - I miss Mike's posts.

On a great note though, my amp tech just called me and I'll be picking my 1968 Super Reverb up from the tech tomorrow after getting it retubed! Can't wait to plug it in and play it! :partytime:

sodascouts
07-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Cool!

Windeagle
07-27-2011, 10:36 PM
I kinda like reading the Gearhead posts. Brings back fond memories of my 8 years as a guitar player's girlfriend. Watching HFO, I'm fascinated by who's playing what part and how they're making things sound the way they do.

WalshFan88
07-28-2011, 01:48 PM
I'm glad people get enjoyment out of this thread! :)

Windeagle
07-28-2011, 04:54 PM
Can I ask you a guitar-technique question? Not sure if this is the right thread for that, but here goes.

I was watching the HFO DVD last night and noticed that on "Help Me Through The Night", it appeared that a couple of times Glenn was holding down the strings with his thumb hooked over the top of the neck of the guitar instead of the usual method of pressing with your fingers from the bottom up. I've never seen anyone do that before and wondered what kind of sound you'd be trying to get by playing that way. Any thoughts?

WalshFan88
07-29-2011, 10:54 AM
Can I ask you a guitar-technique question? Not sure if this is the right thread for that, but here goes.

I was watching the HFO DVD last night and noticed that on "Help Me Through The Night", it appeared that a couple of times Glenn was holding down the strings with his thumb hooked over the top of the neck of the guitar instead of the usual method of pressing with your fingers from the bottom up. I've never seen anyone do that before and wondered what kind of sound you'd be trying to get by playing that way. Any thoughts?

It doesn't really make a difference in sound if you hit the same notes (hold the same chords) really but it does play and feel different

I myself hook my thumb over the top of the neck because I physically can't put my thumb on the back of the neck, but I have huge hands and it's super uncomfortable and even painful for me to do it the "recommended" way. So my thumb is always over the top of the neck because I can't do it any other way. It's a case of my hands are too big to play the average way. Joe Walsh does the same thing, you'll see him put the thumb over the top. It's more common in people with big hands that can't do it the conventional way.

WalshFan88
07-31-2011, 11:57 AM
I am back to looking at new pedals again. :hilarious: I'm insatiable when it comes to guitars, amps, and pedals.

One of my favorite pedal builders that makes handmade pedals is coming out with a pedal for Keith Urban. He's done one for Brad Paisley which I own and now he's doing one for Keith Urban. I'll have to get that one too! :D

Now my wish list is this:

Wampler Analog Echo Delay
Wampler Ego Compressor
Wampler Black '65 Overdrive
Wampler Hot Wired Overdrive
Wampler Keith Urban Overdrive (when it comes out)
Wampler Tweed Overdrive (when it comes out)
BearFoot FX Honey Bee Overdrive
TC Electronics PolyTune Tuner

I also have a Paul Cochrane Tim Overdrive pedal on a waiting list that I will get in November hopefully when my name comes up.

Then my pedalboard should be complete for awhile, LOL. :rofl: But I know better than to say it's done for good - hehe.

Just thought I'd share my latest pedal obsession with all of you fine folks here! (like you all really care, LOL) :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

EaglesFanatic
08-03-2011, 09:56 PM
Do you have a wah pedal or a talk box Austin? I'd buy one myself, but they are so darn expensive!

WalshFan88
08-04-2011, 01:22 AM
Do you have a wah pedal or a talk box Austin? I'd buy one myself, but they are so darn expensive!

I could have sworn I just replied to this but it isn't showing up so here goes again, LOL.

Yep I have a wah but no talk box. I'm actually getting ready to sell my current wah as it is really adding a lot of harsh treble to my sound even when bypassed. I'm going to trade it in with some other old pedals of mine that aren't so good for hopefully one good pedal LOL. And I'm hoping to save up and get a Joe Walsh signature wah from RMC/Teese. They make the best wah pedals IMO. Everyone from Joe Walsh to John Mayer to Keith Urban uses an RMC wah. Fulltone is also known for their wahs but I don't like them as much as the RMC/Teese wahs. They are great and don't suck the tone out of your sound. I'd like to get a talkbox someday - those are really cool. I've always played Rocky Mountain Way without the Talkbox and would just play a guitar solo but I'd like to get a talkbox and learn how to use it. So many great songs with a Talkbox. Rocky Mountain Way, Sweet Emotion, etc.

EaglesFanatic
08-04-2011, 01:47 AM
I'd love a talkbox someday too. Last winter I attempted to make a DIY talkbox, and it actually worked!! Unfortunately though, I couldn't keep it plugged into my amp for longer than like ten minutes, because it sounded like my amp was going to blow up :fear: I tried playing a bit of Those Shoes before it had the chance of blowing my amp out.

Henley Honey
08-04-2011, 06:28 AM
Can anybody tell me what Joe is saying on Farewell 1 when he uses the talkbox? I don't speak that language but would love to know! :hilarious:

Freypower
08-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Can anybody tell me what Joe is saying on Farewell 1 when he uses the talkbox? I don't speak that language but would love to know! :hilarious:

He doesn't really 'say' anything. Although it can be used to 'talk' Joe doesn't in RMW. I have a live version of Glenn's Long Hot Summer where Danny Grenier uses the talkbox to say 'long hot summer' at the end of the song. Also in Those Shoes you can hear either Joe or Felder say 'butt out' via the talkbox.

EaglesKiwi
08-05-2011, 04:33 AM
He doesn't really 'say' anything. Although it can be used to 'talk' Joe doesn't in RMW. I have a live version of Glenn's Long Hot Summer where Danny Grenier uses the talkbox to say 'long hot summer' at the end of the song. Also in Those Shoes you can hear either Joe or Felder say 'butt out' via the talkbox.
I think it's both of them - I'm sure I read it on the liner notes to Complete Greatest Hits...