PDA

View Full Version : Gearhead

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

sodascouts
08-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Yep! From The Very Best of the Eagles liner notes (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/eagles/verybest/linernotes.htm) regarding "Those Shoes":

GLENN: As far as I know, it's the only double-talkbox solo in existence. That's Felder and Walsh on talkbox at the end singing "Butt out...butt out...."

WalshFan88
08-10-2011, 01:21 AM
I just got a new pedal for FREE. I worked on my buddy's computer and he owns a small guitar shop and so he gave me a pedal. Although it's a cheaper pedal I modified the circuitry of it and now it sounds incredible. It's a BOSS Super Overdrive SD-1. I removed one capacitor and now it sounds great. I posted a clip in the Member's Clips thread. Here is my pedalboard now:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1317640x321.jpg

tequila girl
08-10-2011, 04:24 AM
WOW Austin!!!! How do you remember which one does what? :hilarious:

WalshFan88
08-10-2011, 05:02 AM
WOW Austin!!!! How do you remember which one does what? :hilarious:

Heheh I have a very good memory and I usually write down little cheats on my setlists when I play out that tell me what pedals and guitars to use for each song. But at home I just sit around and play. :hilarious: They all sound different. I'm probably going to get about 4 more next month hopefully until my board is full. I love pedals - they really help me to get the sound I need. I'm a cover band/tribute band guy who likes to get sounds from recordings and that's what these little guys do best is to help me emulate classic rock tones and emulating specific amps and pedals from that time. I can't imagine my guitar playing without my pedalboard. It's the one thing that I have to have in order to feel confident enough to play onstage. It's my security blanket so to speak in a strange way. It makes me feel....secure. :rofl:

WalshFan88
08-15-2011, 11:01 PM
Well I can't wait til Friday! :D

Why you ask? Because I'm getting two new pedals for sure and possibly a guitar and another pedal on top of that! :D I'm going to trade a couple old pedals of mine that don't sound good anymore.

I'm going to get an MXR '78 Distortion which is very much a hard rock type of pedal (Aerosmith, AC/DC, GnR, etc) and a MXR Classic Overdrive which is a bluesy tube sounding overdrive (a Tubescreamer clone). I might also pick up an MXR Noise Clamp if they have one in stock as I really need a noise gate with my pedals.

But I'm probably going to get my birthday present to myself early instead of waiting. I'm going to get a Roadworn (reliced) 50s model Fender Stratocaster (Strat). Probably a sunburst one.

Watch out for pics and video next weekend! I go on Friday probably to get this stuff at Guitar Center in Peoria.

sodascouts
08-16-2011, 12:44 AM
Cool! I love to shop myself - only I haven't bought a guitar, lol.

WalshFan88
08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Cool! I love to shop myself - only I haven't bought a guitar, lol.

LOL. You ought to - it's fun playing them and picking "the one".

Windeagle
08-16-2011, 06:57 PM
Excellent, Austin. I can't wait to see the pictures.

I never played guitar (couldn't get past the "my fingers hurt!" part), but I did mess around on a second-hand bass my boyfriend bought when we lived together.

I was also the official photographer when he bought his first "real" guitar. I think it was a '62 reissue Strat - black and white with a rosewood neck. He was so excited.

Ah, good times! Send lots of pics!

WalshFan88
08-16-2011, 08:11 PM
Excellent, Austin. I can't wait to see the pictures.

I never played guitar (couldn't get past the "my fingers hurt!" part), but I did mess around on a second-hand bass my boyfriend bought when we lived together.

I was also the official photographer when he bought his first "real" guitar. I think it was a '62 reissue Strat - black and white with a rosewood neck. He was so excited.

Ah, good times! Send lots of pics!

Very cool! '62 Reissue Strat eh?! You know your guitars - I'm very impressed! :D Those are nice guitars - the guy who I was in the Eagles tribute band with used one constantly - but he was a big Stevie Ray Vaughan fan. He got me into Fender amps - I was a diehard Marshall guy. Now I find Marshalls to be overrated and love Fender amps. He tried to get me to switch from the Les Paul to the Strat and while I love Strats - I still love Les Pauls more. Just a Les Paul kinda dude. It was my first really good guitar too - that may have something to do with why I love them. My #1 (Ruby) is a Les Paul.

I will be sure to put up pics. Friday can't get here fast enough! :D

Windeagle
08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
I picked up a little guitar knowledge from the old boyfriend, but I'm certainly no expert. I just find them fascinating. I know a Les Paul from a Strat from a Tele to look at them, but I can't tell the difference by the sound the way a real player can.

Funny though. As I'm listening to the Eagles more with higher-level technology, I'm finding I can pick out that little black guitar Glenn plays from all the rest. It has a very distinctive sound.

WalshFan88
08-17-2011, 10:23 PM
Yeah Glenn's "Old Black" is a Gibson Les Paul Jr which has a P90 pickup - kind of a cross between a Fender sound and a Gibson humbucker sound. It's a single coil but typically sounds barkier and somewhat thicker than a Tele or Strat pickup.

Windeagle
08-17-2011, 10:45 PM
"Barkier!" That's EXACTLY the word I was looking for to describe Old Black's sound. I was thinking "growly" but it's sharper than a growl. Thanks, Austin.

WalshFan88
08-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah I'd love to have one like his but they don't make Les Paul Jr's in that finish anymore (Black). But I wonder if his hasn't been painted over or completely refinished because if you look at up close photos of Glenn with the guitar today - the Gibson Inlay Logo on the headstock is missing and there is no inscription on the peghead. It makes me think it has been refinished at somepoint because it certainly is a Gibson.

He got it from Jackson Browne in the early days because Jackson couldn't keep it in tune (bad tuners) so he sold it to Glenn and Glenn had his guy put new tuners on it (it has silver metal tuners where Jrs come with cheap plastic crappy tuners that almost all guys change out for the kind Glenn has) and Jackson bought a Telecaster with the money Glenn gave him.

The Les Paul Jr when it came out was a Budget model guitar - a cheaper Les Paul for those that couldn't afford Les Paul Standards. But what guys found out was the Jrs were INCREDIBLE guitars that had their own unique sound and when they were fixed up - they sounded and played great. Glenn has added a neck soapbar P90 pickup to his Old Black which has a dogear P90 pickup. Jrs only come with one Dogear P90 pickup. Specials had two Soapbar P90 pickups but his isn't a Special because his has a dogear bridge pickup and the Jr pickguard which is different than the pickguard on a Special. The difference between Soapbar and Dogear P90s is purely cosmetic. The Dogear has little "wings" on the top and bottom of the pickup where the soapbar does not.

Windeagle
08-18-2011, 07:08 AM
Fascinating. I had heard before that Old Black was a Jr and wondered if that was the type of starter guitar a parent might get a kid as a first instrument.

It's cool to hear the history behind Glenn's guitar. Thanks for sharing that. Good tuners can make a world of difference. My old boyfriend did that with a bass he picked up at a yard sale for $25. He put good tuners on it and it worked great!

WalshFan88
08-18-2011, 02:55 PM
Fascinating. I had heard before that Old Black was a Jr and wondered if that was the type of starter guitar a parent might get a kid as a first instrument.

It's cool to hear the history behind Glenn's guitar. Thanks for sharing that. Good tuners can make a world of difference. My old boyfriend did that with a bass he picked up at a yard sale for $25. He put good tuners on it and it worked great!

Actually Gibson had a "starter guitar" called a Melody Maker. That was the student guitar. It had one single coil Strat sized single coil pickup. The Jr was one step up from that, considered a "budget" guitar - higher quality than a Melody Maker but still without the fancy looks of a Les Paul Standard.

WalshFan88
08-20-2011, 01:44 AM
My new guitar:

Fender 2011 American Standard Stratocaster in 3 tone Sunburst with a maple fretboard. OMG it's killer!

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1347340x640.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1354447x640.jpg

My new pedals:

MXR '78 Distortion and MXR Classic Overdrive. Incredible classic rock tone.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1342416x640.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1345406x640.jpg

This is my early birthday present to myself. :D

Windeagle
08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
GASP! It's gorgeous, Austin! I love the color and I'll bet it plays like a charm. Now you'll have to record something for us and put it up on YouTube so we can hear it. Have fun with your early birthday present!

WalshFan88
08-20-2011, 05:26 PM
GASP! It's gorgeous, Austin! I love the color and I'll bet it plays like a charm. Now you'll have to record something for us and put it up on YouTube so we can hear it. Have fun with your early birthday present!

Will do! Hopefully will do that later tonight! :D I've been playing it off and on all day. Needless to say - I'm very happy. Nothing like getting an new guitar when you are a guitarist. I'm sure painters are the same way with brushes or photographers with cameras and so on. It's fun getting new "toys". :hilarious:

AzEaglesFan
08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Austin, I just noticed that Photobucket took a bunch of your pictures off the Border. What's up with that? They are getting as bad as You Tube.:-(

WalshFan88
08-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Austin, I just noticed that Photobucket took a bunch of your pictures off the Border. What's up with that? They are getting as bad as You Tube.:-(

I know! They were gone this morning. They did that once before when I exceeded my bandwidth limit. :(

WalshFan88
08-21-2011, 11:03 PM
Windeagle - I posted a video of the new guitar in the Members Bytes thread in case you didn't see it. :)

WalshFan88
08-24-2011, 04:06 AM
Some new pics.

Me with my new Strat:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/316804_10150754190075066_541495065_20103790_914090 _n.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1376540x640.jpg

My updated pedalboard:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1341640x265.jpg

WalshFan88
09-02-2011, 05:36 AM
http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1425385x640.jpg

These are my top 3 guitars as it stands right now. Les Paul, Tele, and Strat. You just can't beat that combination. Of course with a Fender amp too and my lovely pedalboard (aka the geek toybox! :hilarious:).

Windeagle
09-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Yep, that's the trifecta for any guitar player I've ever known.

Former Boyfriend had that very same amp. He bought it along with the Strat. Being the part-time roadie, I hefted that baby around more than once!

sodascouts
09-02-2011, 02:38 PM
Nice!

WalshFan88
09-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Yep, that's the trifecta for any guitar player I've ever known.

Former Boyfriend had that very same amp. He bought it along with the Strat. Being the part-time roadie, I hefted that baby around more than once!

Those are definitely the three classic designs of an electric guitar. Definitely the trifecta of guitars for me.

That amp is a great one - 1968 Fender Super Reverb. I got it at an auction this year for $500 which was a GREAT deal seeing as how these are $1500 amps. I spent about $200 having my tech go through it and retube it of course but I basically got a great classic Fender amp for less than $1000. You can't even get a new one for that! :shock: I still have a newer Twin Reverb reissue that is a reproduction of the 1965 Twin Reverb. A good amp, but it can't hold a candle to the classic Fender amps of the 50s/60s IMO.

But that amp is HEAVY - it definitely isn't one you want to move around any more than you have to!

I'm going to play a small show with some friends tomorrow night and I'm going to take that amp, the new Strat, and probably a Les Paul and my pedals of course. Probably will cover an Eagles tune or two. I'll try to get video and pics for sure.

Windeagle
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Yay for video! I hope you can do one. I'd love to see you perform. Maybe you can do Already Gone (hint, hint) ;)

WalshFan88
09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Yay for video! I hope you can do one. I'd love to see you perform. Maybe you can do Already Gone (hint, hint) ;)

Haha Already Gone is pretty much a given wherever and whenever I'm playing. I love that song. And it's pretty straightforward for the other guys in the band if they don't know it already. I mean it's four chords - it's not that hard. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
09-04-2011, 10:21 AM
Hello all. Wow what a fun night! I'm so pissed though that my cameraperson forgot to take any video. Needless to say they got into the booze a little too early too hard and the camera was the least of their worries. :hilarious: But someone did email me this pic this morning although it's no video. And Windeagle you would have loved it too because we really rocked it up on Already Gone and we did the twin guitar solos like on the original recording. It was great! :D

http://i51.tinypic.com/9pwf8n.jpg

Windeagle
09-04-2011, 12:48 PM
GASP! Oh man, I'd have been in heaven. Love, love, LOVE that song. Desperado through OOTN is my favorite Eagles era. Too bad the camera person got too drunk to film, but I guess that's what parties are for. Glad you got a chance to rock it good. Thanks for sending the pic and better luck next time on the video.

WalshFan88
09-04-2011, 01:51 PM
GASP! Oh man, I'd have been in heaven. Love, love, LOVE that song. Desperado through OOTN is my favorite Eagles era. Too bad the camera person got too drunk to film, but I guess that's what parties are for. Glad you got a chance to rock it good. Thanks for sending the pic and better luck next time on the video.

Yes I'm very disappointed they didn't at least record Already Gone and Gold Dust Woman - probably the two best songs of the night. :brickwall: What was funny is the person that was drunk recorded all of the time in between songs and not the songs themselves. I guess that's why they call it intoxicated. :hilarious: Next time I'll set up a freaking tripod and start the video myself LOL.

Also during warmup I started into the intro 16th note riff to "Edge Of Seventeen" and the drummer started trying to sing like Stevie Nicks (Just like the white winged dove part) and it was hilarious as he couldn't even come close to the notes LOL. Our female singer wasn't familiar with that though so I stopped playing it after a few bars while everyone else was warming up. But it was funny trying to hear him sing it. :rofl:

sodascouts
09-04-2011, 02:20 PM
So you did get to do GDW! I was wondering! Too bad you couldn't do Edge of Seventeen, although Waddy Wachtel says that doing that riff for so long can be hard on the fingers!

WalshFan88
09-04-2011, 08:02 PM
So you did get to do GDW! I was wondering! Too bad you couldn't do Edge of Seventeen, although Waddy Wachtel says that doing that riff for so long can be hard on the fingers!

It definitely can take the energy right out of you. I read an interview where he said playing that song every night after a full tour with Stevie and he could crack walnuts with his right hand LOL. :hilarious: It's a very fast alternate picking palm muted 16th note riff. Back and forth on the same string.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 06:03 AM
Well I got my Twin Reverb amp back yesterday from the tech. Although the main guy was out so they couldn't tell me what they fixed. Seems to be working better. I had to drop off my Super Reverb amp though as I think I blew a preamp tube the other night at that gig! Must have really been playing too loud! :guitar:

Maybe I'll shoot some video today with the Twin Reverb as I haven't done any videos with it lately. I'd like to do some videos with the new Strat as well as my old 50s Tele relic. I've been playing more Fender guitars than Gibsons lately. I need to pick up Ruby tomorrow for a little while to let her know she's still loved. :heart: :smitten:

Also I'm planning my early Ausfest (my take on Ozzfest. :D) jam for the first weekend in October and I'm looking forward to that and trying to get both all of the players and the audience on the same page and making sure the date we pick is open for everyone. It's out at my parents cabin in the woods. Lots of fun. Can't wait to rock it up and play. I'm getting a wide variety of players this year from blues guys to country guys to rock guys. So there is something for everyone. I'll be likely opening and closing the event with a big Open Jam at the end. Definitely will be video of that I promise you. Or I'll have to kick some major you-know-what this time. Being drunk is no excuse. :hilarious:

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 02:55 PM
Looking forward to it!

Windeagle
09-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Excellent, Austin! Sounds like a good time. I can't wait to hear what comes out of it.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 11:54 PM
I was hoping to get some more pedals before then but I doubt that happens. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

WalshFan88
09-22-2011, 10:16 AM
So I have two new pedals arriving today. Fulltone Plimsoul, which is an overdrive/distortion pedal. Also a Keeley C4 4-Knob, which is a compressor/sustainer pedal. Both of which I will be doing separate videos for and will be posting them over the weekend. I'm very excited especially about the compressor as I love a good compressor pedal to really thicken things up.

UK TimFan
09-22-2011, 08:27 PM
There's currently a series of programmes being shown on UK TV where Billy Connolly is riding along Route 66.
In this week's programme one of the 'places' he visited was a guy called Rob Lavery, who has a collection of instruments that would make Austin turn luminous lime green with envy. The collection is not open to the public, and no town was mentioned, so I can't give those details.
Rob says he has one of the, if not the, largest collection of lap steels in the world.
He also collects zithers (two go back to 1890), ukuleles, and has what must be at least several hundred guitars - fifty Fender Coronadoes alone.:)

WalshFan88
09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
WOW! Very cool! I'd love to go......visit him. Yeah, visit is the world I'm looking for! ;) :D :hilarious:

WalshFan88
09-22-2011, 10:36 PM
Here are my new pedals that I got today. I LOVE them! Videos to come soon.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/DSCN0143640x463.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/DSCN0140640x617.jpg

Glennsallnighter
09-23-2011, 08:01 AM
I don't know anything really about pedals Austin, but I can sense your enthusiasm! I hope they work out really well for you. looking forward to seeing the videos too

WalshFan88
09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
Thanks GA! I love them indeed - quite obsessed about them actually... I go crazy over these little metallic boxes full of wires and switches and knobs. :D

Like Joe sings in "Life's Been Good" - "They say I'm crazy but I have a good time". That line was wrote about me, I swear! :hilarious: And I wasn't even born yet. :rofl:

Henley Honey
09-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Congratulations on the "Additions to the Family" Austin.
Like GA, I know nothing about these kinds of pedals -- only the brake and the gas pedals -- but you sound extremely psyched so I'm very happy for you!

WalshFan88
09-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks HH! :)

WalshFan88
09-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Well I finally got around to putting the covers on Ruby.

Before (with some friends):

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/IMG_1425385x640.jpg

After:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/DSCN0157412x640.jpg

MUCH better IMO... :) It looks more like the '59 Bursts holy grail guitars that were played in the 70s.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/DSCN0165640x556.jpg

In other news, my Ausfest music festival is tomorrow. Watch out for videos and plenty of pics! :)

Henley Honey
09-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Wow. She sure is pretty. Enjoy!
Looking foward to the Ausfest update.

WalshFan88
09-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Wow. She sure is pretty. Enjoy!
Looking foward to the Ausfest update.

Thanks! :D

I will be sure to get the media up next week... My plans for Sunday is just to cool down and relax. I got all of the gear moved over there tonight and I'll move it back Sunday morning.

Here is what I am taking:

GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul (Ruby), Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, PRS Custom 24, Ernie Ball Music Man, and my Taylor 6-string acoustic.

AMPS: Fender 1968 Super Reverb and Fender Twin Reverb reissue

And then of course my beloved pedalboard. :hilarious: I'm going to run the two amps in stereo, one on either side of the stage - making sure I'm heard loud and clear (what is it with guitarists and their obsession with volume and cranking their stuff up?!?! :D). I will be changing guitars throughout the night for different sounds and feel. I will probably open the day with an acoustic show and do some acoustic numbers with my Taylor acoustic. Start out meek and mild and then at the end of night turn the amps all the way up and totally rock the hell out! :rofl: I will be playing all sorts of classic rock and there are country and blues guys coming that I will sit in with. We DO have a female singer so it's likely some Stevie Nicks/Fleetwood Mac tunes will be played!

Freypower
10-01-2011, 12:20 AM
Wow, Austin. Good luck. I hope it goes well for you & your colleagues. :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
10-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Wow, Austin. Good luck. I hope it goes well for you & your colleagues. :thumbsup:

Thanks FP! Should be a blast. Lots of Eagles tunes to be played for sure!

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Well Ausfest turned out pretty good. We are going to start having it in June instead of October though, it gets too cold into the night and people start leaving. :( But everyone had fun and we had about 100 people there. It was pretty cool. :) The biggest crowd I've played to was with the Eagles tribute and it was about 500 people. But this was a good out in the country type of get together and jam. I played from 2pm to 2am with NO breaks. I didn't even get to eat a hot dog or eat cake! When I get to playing I lose track of time and I go in my own little world and I think of crazy stuff and I forget about my surroundings. THAT is how I'm able to play onstage even with severe social anxiety. Because I just forget about everyone else and just focus on playing guitar. As the Rolling Stones sing, "If you start me up, I'll never stop"!. :hilarious:

Here are some pics. Still not sure about video. May have one or two that are postworthy. :brickwall:

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/DSC01057640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/DSC01068640x480.jpg

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/DSC01074640x480.jpg

I'm the one in the dark green hooded sweatshirt! :D

I'll see what I can do about video.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2011, 05:41 PM
It sounds like a great time, Austin! I miss living in a place where get-togethers like that can happen. I hope you find one or two videos for us to view.

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 05:49 PM
It sounds like a great time, Austin! I miss living in a place where get-togethers like that can happen. I hope you find one or two videos for us to view.

Will do. :) Sadly I don't think I have any Eagles videos but I just found one snippet of "Keep Your Hands To Yourself" by the Georgia Satellites. I'll try to get it posted soon. :) I may have one other clip. Sadly, again, my video person was not with the program. I'm going to have to hire a video filmmaker to come to these events. :hilarious: It pisses me off I can't get a damn full length video. :brickwall:

Henley Honey
10-03-2011, 07:06 PM
Glad it worked out for you! Even if you can't post a video, how about some audio? It looks like a fun bunch of people. Hope they saved you some cake! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Here is the only video for now! :)

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/?action=view&current=MOV01061.mp4

VAisForEagleLovers
10-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Sounds great, Austin! :thumbsup: It's a real shame there isn't more... You looked like you were having fun.

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Sounds great, Austin! :thumbsup: It's a real shame there isn't more... You looked like you were having fun.

Thank you! :)

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 08:58 PM
Glad it worked out for you! Even if you can't post a video, how about some audio? It looks like a fun bunch of people. Hope they saved you some cake! :hilarious:

Thanks!!! And yes I got some cake the next day! :hilarious:

AzEaglesFan
10-03-2011, 10:55 PM
http://thumbp11-ne1.thumb.mail.yahoo.com/tn?sid=25895698037795887&mid=AD2liGIAABUrTopwwQSzpiTCG3g&midoffset=1_111179&partid=2&f=1129&fid=Inbox&w=637&h=480&httperr=1

AzEaglesFan
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
The above picture is our nephew Steve with his Les Paul Sunburst. He sure is proud of it and rightly so.

WalshFan88
10-03-2011, 11:06 PM
The picture does not show up for me AZ... :-( Perhaps try uploading it to Photobucket?!

I'm sure he is proud of it. I love my Les Paul very much - it's my musical soulmate. Ruby is the queen! :hilarious: :guitar:

AzEaglesFan
10-04-2011, 02:01 AM
It's there for me Austin number 1059.

WalshFan88
10-04-2011, 03:03 AM
I get a little icon and no pic, if I click it the link it says I don't have permission to view it.

Here is what I'm seeing for those that don't believe me. :hilarious:

http://i55.tinypic.com/5yg93a.jpg

sodascouts
10-04-2011, 01:59 PM
I can't see it either, I'm afraid. I bet it's the permissions thing.

AzEaglesFan
10-04-2011, 06:04 PM
It might be, because it's there for me. I guess I'm the only one that can enjoy it, darn. If you click on the red X and then right click with mouse and bring down the drop box and click on show picture, does it work that way?

Freypower
10-04-2011, 06:19 PM
It might be, because it's there for me. I guess I'm the only one that can enjoy it, darn. If you click on the red X and then right click with mouse and bring down the drop box and click on show picture, does it work that way?

No, it doesn't. You need to upload it to Photobucket or another photo web site with a URL. If it is just a jpg file on your computer, we can't see it. Austin said he got a link. I didn't even get that.

AzEaglesFan
10-04-2011, 07:34 PM
See if this works

Freypower
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Yes! Well done!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice!

WalshFan88
10-04-2011, 08:47 PM
WOW! That is the same model of Les Paul as my Ruby - a Gibson Les Paul Classic. Same color too. They are.....TWINS! :hilarious:

Very nice!

TimothyBFan
10-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Glad that Ausfest went so well Austin. Maybe I missed it somewhere (don't get in this thread often, I'm afraid) but I've been wondering what exactly Ausfest is. Is it a music fest in your neck of the woods? How was it all started, and how long have you been involved in it, etc.... Inquiring minds you know. :)

Windeagle
10-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Glad to hear about Ausfest, Austin! I've been so crazy busy these last couple of weeks I forgot all about it. Thanks for sending the pictures. I haven't had a chance to check out the video you sent, but I will soon.

Seriously, if I lived near you, I would have crashed the party. It sounds like a blast.

WalshFan88
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Glad that Ausfest went so well Austin. Maybe I missed it somewhere (don't get in this thread often, I'm afraid) but I've been wondering what exactly Ausfest is. Is it a music fest in your neck of the woods? How was it all started, and how long have you been involved in it, etc.... Inquiring minds you know. :)

That's exactly what it is! :) It's a music fest we have once a year out in the woods at our family cabin. We have a stage built there and basically all of my music friends and different bands come and play and we have open jams and all sorts of stuff. The name came about as a take on the "Ozzfest", but using my name. :hilarious: It's started as a birthday celebration for me and we decided to keep doing it. :) This was our 2nd year of doing it. It's a LOT of fun! It's always been in October but because of the weather we are going to move it to June.

WalshFan88
10-05-2011, 02:37 PM
Glad to hear about Ausfest, Austin! I've been so crazy busy these last couple of weeks I forgot all about it. Thanks for sending the pictures. I haven't had a chance to check out the video you sent, but I will soon.

Seriously, if I lived near you, I would have crashed the party. It sounds like a blast.

Thanks! :)

TimothyBFan
10-06-2011, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the explanation, Austin. Hope it continues to get larger for you.

sodascouts
10-06-2011, 01:29 PM
Wow! You must have some pretty caring parents, Austin, for them to set up that kind of "event" for you!

WalshFan88
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the explanation, Austin. Hope it continues to get larger for you.

Thanks! This year we had about 200 people (that we have counted so far). Last year we had about 50, so big increase from last year. We tried to think of everyone that came plus the invitation RSVP list and it came to close to 200.

WalshFan88
10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Wow! You must have some pretty caring parents, Austin, for them to set up that kind of "event" for you!

Yeah. We all worked on it though - and it's a big thing for our little area. About 200 people came this year which we were thrilled. We had counted up to 100 and then looked at the list and counted about another 100 that were there. It's really a fun event that requires everyone's efforts - me, my family, my friends, and of course everyone playing music. I always headline the event and play the last show with whatever band I want. Last year it was the Eagles tribute I was in at the time but this year I pretty much formed a little group of some friends of mine that are all pros as well as I, and we all played covers and lots of stuff like that for about 3 hours. But there were bands earlier in the day, and there were open mic/open jams too in the afternoon, and solo people to come up and do acoustic singing, and all of that. It's really cool and it takes a lot of effort but we have a lot of fun. We had a huge growth in attendance this year, as I posted above to Willie. It was about 150 more people than last time, which is a big jump. This time we invited lots, it got around by word of mouth and a Facebook event page we created.

WalshFan88
10-31-2011, 01:59 AM
Just thought I'd post an updated pedal wish list for the new year coming up. :D

Dirt:

BearFoot FX Honey Bee (this pedal has a very thick sound that reminds me of a Tweed Champ or some cranked combo)
Wampler Black '65 (another great pedal that has a very gritty sound and sounds like the perfect cranked Deluxe Reverb)
Wampler Hot Wired (this pedal has two drives in one and has the ability to run both together for distortion and is barky)
Wampler SLOstortion (a great higher gain thick sounding distortion emulating a Soldano amplifier)
Wampler Pinnacle (a great Marshall Brown sound in a box type of distortion that is great hard rock sound)
Fulltone Fulldrive II MOSFET (another versatile overdrive that also has a boost function and very Tubescreamer based)
Catalinbread Formula No 5 (a great Tweed Deluxe in a box type of pedal for Tweed Fender cranked tone)
Keeley modified Blues Driver (a very transparent low gain overdrive and boost that I hear works well with Blackface Fenders)
BOSS OD-3 Overdrive (the best of the BOSS dirt pedals that needs no mods and has no fizz and it has a thick warm tone)
Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret MkII (an improvement over the first version which I happen to own and it has a Marshally tone)
Xotic AC Booster (a great open sounding midrangey musical overdrive pedal that is very responsive)
Xotic RC Booster (a great clean boost for leads or for extra boost)
Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive MOD (a great overdrive with a clean blend)
Ibanez TS-808 (a classic warm tube like overdrive I really like for a boost)
Dunlop Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face (a great smooth warm fuzz)

Other Effects:

MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay (a great warm analog delay for slapback echo I like)
TC Electronics PolyTune Tuner (a great tuner that is reliable and is accurate unlike my current one)
MXR Phase 90 Script Reissue (a nice lush phaser that will work for my modulation needs as I don't like a lot of it)

Pedals I have on order:

Paul Cochrane Tim Overdrive (I have this on a waiting list and my pedal should be done by November so this pedal is pretty much already a given that I will get this pedal)

Pedals coming out in the future I'm interested in:

Wampler "Tweed" Overdrive (this is a pedal Brian Wampler is working on to emulate the sound of a cranked Tweed amp)
Wampler Keith Urban Overdrive (this is another pedal Brian is working on as a signature pedal for Keith Urban with no other details right now but I'm very interested regardless as I love Keith's tone and I have a feeling it'll be KILLER!)

Pedals I have to get modded:

Analogman Silver Mod With True Bypass (Ibanez TS-9)

WalshFan88
11-10-2011, 10:01 PM
I've been getting into some of the cheaper BOSS pedals lately. For one, they make a great modding platform. So far I have the DS-1 Distortion, SD-1 Super Overdrive, and BD-2 Blues Driver. I hope to get the OD-3 Overdrive soon. They are pretty good boxes for the money and built like a tank. I'm thinking about making a cheap pedal board for some of these boxes for just a beater board where I can take it everywhere and not worry about my pedals. My main board right now has pedals worth over a grand total! :shock: I need something I can take to dives and play and not worry about spilling stuff in them or theft.

For those with the SD-1 Super Overdrive - here is a quick tip on making it sound more open, midrangey, and a bit "juicier". Open the bottom of the pedal and flip the green board over. Locate the Capacitor named C6 on the board. Clip it out with wire snippers or nail clippers. Reassemble the pedal. You will notice more upper mids and a touch more range on the tone control. You are basically removing a muddy low-pass filter.

For those with the DS-1 Distortion - here is another tip on making it sound less harsh and less muddy. Open the bottom of the pedal and flip the green board over. Locate the Diodes labeled D4 and D5. Clip both out with wire clippers or nail cutters and reassemble the pedal. You will notice more open tone and a bit more mids and overall smoothness to the distorted tone as well as a touch less gain and more output for boosting if need be.

As of yet I don't have a quick solderless mod for the BD-2 Blues Driver or the OD-3 Overdrive.

Glennsallnighter
11-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Enjoy your new toy Austin!

WalshFan88
12-05-2011, 12:11 AM
Enjoy your new toy Austin!

Thanks! I certainly am! I have another one coming tomorrow! :D

sodascouts
12-08-2011, 02:20 AM
I will explain everything in layman's terms whenever possible. :grin: I know I can talk very geeky/techy but will try to keep that to a minimum for you people here. It will be basic.

Dude, if you want people to watch your video, you're going to have to figure out how to sound less condescending.

Windeagle
05-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Hey Austin - have you checked out a site called www.effectsbay.com? I just stumbled onto it via a Facebook post from my other favorite band, Carbon Leaf. They showed a picture of the lead guitarist's pedalboard and it was huge! Of course I thought of you.

WalshFan88
05-25-2012, 02:05 AM
Hey Austin - have you checked out a site called www.effectsbay.com? I just stumbled onto it via a Facebook post from my other favorite band, Carbon Leaf. They showed a picture of the lead guitarist's pedalboard and it was huge! Of course I thought of you.

Oh yes that's one of my favorite sites! :lol: I spend waaaaay too much time there. It's all about effects pedals and pictures and all of that. Also The Gear Page forum is really cool to talk pedals and stuff and it's how I stay up to date on all of this modern stuff. There is also a database of all effects pedals ever made too called DiscoFreq Effects Database where you can see everything that's coming out but also get familiar with all of the classic stuff.

But yes that site is fantastic and I'm probably the world's biggest pedalhead! :D I spend soooo much money on the darn things. I've got a "thing" for overdrive pedals and pedals that recreate the classic sounds and there is a lot of them. I have a list of stuff I want to get/try that is about as long as the Declaration of Independence. :rofl:

For fun, here is my current pedalboard.... It is heavy to carry around but it gets the job done. I also have a small board I use for jams/rehearsing/sit ins but for the bigger shows I play with my friends in the summer the big board works great through my vintage Fender or my new Ventura.

http://i1117.photobucket.com/albums/k590/gibsonguitar1988/Gear/board.jpg

Thanks for bumping this thread too - I had forgotten all about it to be honest. I'll try to keep it more current and up to date.