PDA

View Full Version : Songs Glenn has never performed live

Ive always been a dreamer
04-21-2006, 11:15 PM
I was just wondering about what songs Glenn has never performed live. At first I was thinking about solo songs, but we could include Eagles songs as well. Am I right that Glenn didn't tour at all for the Soul Searchin' album? He did do limited touring for NFA, The Allnighter, and Strange Weather didn't he? Nancy, I didn't think to see if you have any of this info on glennfreyonline, but I'll go check that now. :)

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

04-21-2006, 11:41 PM
Well - the research didn't take that long, after all. However, there are a lot of Glenn's solo songs that he has never performed live. Here's what I came up with broken down by album:

No Fun Aloud:

I Volunteer (I can't believe this one - It's one of favorites - 'sniff sniff.')

That Girl

She Can't Let Go

The Allnighter:

Somebody Else

Let's Go Home

Living In Darkness

New Love

Soul Searchin':

Some Kind of Blue (Although I thought I read that he has performed this one live)

Can't Put Out the Fire

I Did It For Your Love

Let's Pretend We're Still In Love

Working Man

Soul Searchin' (too bad - I guess it's not practical to bring in a gospel choir)

Two Hearts

It's Your Life

Strange Weather:

He Took Advantage

Brave New World

Delicious

A Walk In the Dark

Big Life

If anyone has any corrections to this, I would love to know. ;)

~~~~~~

sodascouts
04-22-2006, 12:59 AM
At Royal Oak in 2000 (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/tour/royaloak2000.htm), Glenn played some songs he'd never done before. Two of those were She Can't Let Go and Some Kind of Blue. He was MAGNIFICENT on them. I just wish the bootleg was better quality.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

sodascouts
04-22-2006, 01:00 AM
BTW, good job compiling info, Kay!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Freypower
04-22-2006, 02:19 AM
I was saying to Nancy that my fantasy would be to hear him sing Let's Go Home followed by A Walk In The Dark. If he also did I Volunteer and That Girl that would be so perfect. Also remember he hasn't done Common Ground, This Way To Happiness or Call On Me live either. Wouldn't they be great live?

That is a very interesting database that Nancy compiled.

eaglesfans
04-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Regardless of the quality, we're always happy to hear different stuff on bootlegs. :) It's better than not having the stuff. Good thing a Neil Young fan thought to tape the Royal Oak Show. :D

Edited by: eaglesfans at: 4/22/06 10:26 am

sodascouts
04-22-2006, 12:54 PM
I think we can all agree on that! It pretty much goes without saying.

Good thing a Neil Young fan thought to tape the Royal Oak Show. :D

Didn't know it was a Young fan who taped it. Cool.

~

Freypower
04-22-2006, 06:11 PM
I could not live without Royal Oak, put it that way. I love Foxwoods & Rama too but Royal Oak was something very special and how I wish he would do a show like this again.

04-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Also remember he hasn't done Common Ground, This Way To Happiness or Call On Me live either. Wouldn't they be great live?

You are so right, FP. I always forget the Solo Collection songs, and I don't know why. I love all of these songs, as well as, Whose Been Sleeping in My Bed. :blush:

~~~~~~

sodascouts
04-23-2006, 11:43 AM
I was saying to Nancy that my fantasy would be to hear him sing Let's Go Home followed by A Walk In The Dark. If he also did I Volunteer and That Girl that would be so perfect.

If the did that, no woman in the audience would be able to remain standing! lol

Also remember he hasn't done Common Ground, This Way To Happiness or Call On Me live either. Wouldn't they be great live?

I don't know about Common Ground, but the other two would be great live, especially Call On Me.

~

04-23-2006, 01:24 PM
Okay - here is a revised list:

No Fun Aloud:

I Volunteer

That Girl

The Allnighter:

Somebody Else

Let's Go Home

Living In Darkness

New Love

Soul Searchin':

Can't Put Out the Fire

I Did It For Your Love

Let's Pretend We're Still In Love

Working Man

Soul Searchin'

Two Hearts

It's Your Life

Strange Weather:

He Took Advantage

Brave New World

Delicious

A Walk In the Dark

Big Life

Solo Collection:

This Way to Happiness

Common Ground

Call On Me

IMO, the odds are probably pretty slim that we'll see him do any of these. I can see him possibly doing one of the Solo Collection songs live before any of the others. Soda, what don't you like about Common Ground? I love that one. For me, the only ones that I would really love to see are I Volunteer and Soul Searchin'. I think Soul Searchin' would be very powerful done live. However, I don't think it will happen. Since That Girl was written for plaintiff, I guess we can write that off for sure. Also, it doesn't seem like there's much chance of hearing anything from Strange Weather live, which is such a shame. :( But, then again, we are talking about the unpredictible Mr. Frey here, so who knows! ;)

~~~~~~

sodascouts
04-23-2006, 01:46 PM
Thanks for the revised list! Common Ground is a nice enough song with a good message, but it's not very interesting melodically to me. JMHO.

My dream song to hear live that he's never done before is That Girl (Plaintiff or no Plaintiff!). I Volunteer is another one. Other than that, I'd most like to hear live Brave New World, This Way to Happiness, and Call On me.

I'd also love to hear him revive POMPOY or River of Dreams. True Love would be another song I would welcome back. And After Hours again - sigh!

~

04-23-2006, 02:12 PM
I agree that I would be ecstatic if he did True Love and River of Dreams at Rama, as well as POMPOY. I don't hold much hope for ROD or POMPOY though. But anything can happen ...

~~~~~~

Freypower
04-23-2006, 09:13 PM
I actually think Common Ground would be a good crowd pleaser, as it has that 'gospel' feel to it. I think it's a great song.

He probably doesn't know how many people have now heard After Hours. I wish he did. I don't know why, but the stark simplicity of it makes it one of the best songs he's ever written.

I will put in a vote for wanting him to do He Took Advantage, although he won't for obvious reasons. It's one of my favourite vocals. I particularly like 'the way he ma-a-ade you feeeeel' (sigh). I also like how it changes key for the last verse.

tengo ritmo
04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
I'd vote for He Took Advantage too, since that is my all-time favorite Glenn song. I'd love to hear that guitar part live.

Should POMPOY even count as having been performed? http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/ohwell.gif It would be amazing to hear it in full, though I know that will probably never happen.

---

-Irene

Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.

sodascouts
04-23-2006, 10:54 PM
I can see He Took Advantage working live. Irene, I agree in that Im not sure we can even say he did POMPOY live since it was no more than a third of the song that ever got played!

~

PinkCoatGirl
05-06-2006, 01:18 AM
Another vote for I Volunteer, here! As well as Call On Me, Soul Searchin', and This Way To Happiness. I think This Way To Happiness would work well as an opener, actually...high energy, up tempo and upbeat as well. I think he could do Soul Searchin' without the full gospel choir...he's got a lot of strong singers in his band, he probably wouldn't even need to add anyone (although he could always add a classical soprano if he wanted to, to bring the 'choir' feel to it...*cough*I'mnotthatgoodbutI'mtrained*cough* ;) ). I'd also like to add a vote for Somebody Else, because I *love* that song. I don't know how much he likes to use his high voice in concert though, because I'm assuming that gets hard after awhile, though I love it in YBTTC. I'm also not sure how well it would translate to live.

I say we make a petition and then send it to him, to make night 2 at Rama an All-Request night. LOLOL! Wouldn't *that* be nice! ;)

-----

~*She'll always be...the girl from yesterday...*~

My friend and I: "Nice coat Glenn!"

Joe Walsh, at next pause between songs: "Hey, nice coat, Glenn."

Glenn: "Thanks, thanks...yah, I picked this up at the..Liberace garage sale, glad you like it..." ;)

05-06-2006, 10:54 AM
Ah - The falsetto debate begins on Flip City! :D

PCG - I laugh because many of us have had this debate on Eagleland. I, for one, am not a fan of the falsetto voice mainly because I think it detracts from Glenn's naturally smooth beautiful voice.

However, I do love your idea about the all request nights at Rama! :D :D :D

~~~~~~

Z
05-06-2006, 11:01 AM
Um, dreamer, I think she meant request songs....... ;)

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

05-06-2006, 11:08 AM
Z - we ARE twins separated at birth. I knew you'd catch that! :D :D

~~~~~~

glenneaglesfan
05-06-2006, 12:06 PM
However, I do love your idea about the all request nights at Rama!

Now that really would be something! :smokin:

~~~

This way to happiness...

sodascouts
05-06-2006, 01:10 PM
I don't know how much he likes to use his high voice in concert though, because I'm assuming that gets hard after awhile, though I love it in YBTTC. I'm also not sure how well it would translate to live.

Since you're new to the discussion, I'm happy to give my opinion though others have heard it before and not all agree. I will be frank. I think the falsetto live is done because it is easier to do high notes that way. I think Glenn is no longer confident that he can consistently reach those high notes in his "regular" voice. I know he CAN do it, but apparently he's been a tad off enough times to make him hesistant, and therefore he decides to go for the "safe" falsetto route which he can more consistently hit. Unfortunately, he's even timid on that, and so we have dissatisfactory results (IMHO). Perhaps it is deliberate to add some kind of "mood," but to the average layperson, it sounds like the same cop-out some of us use every time we sing the Star-Spangled Banner at baseball games when the notes get high. It was criticized in more than one review. I believe that's why it was dropped from the Eagles shows.

I don't presume to have a vast amount of knowledge about such things, but I remember Glenn stating once that he had lowered Take It to the Limit to a key where he could hit all the notes consistently, since he obviously doesn't have Randy's high range. It seems to me that such a solution could be applied to You Belong to the City.

Regardless, I'm almost certain he will perform the song in Rama - it was his biggest hit along with The Heat Is On, and indeed the biggest hit any solo Eagle ever had. So you should get to hear You Belong to the Sea again. ;) For me, it will be the first time I have ever seen him perform it live, and I'm very excited about it even if the falsetto is retained. That is one terrific song.

~

Freypower
05-06-2006, 10:30 PM
But really, the only part of YBTTC that is sung in falsetto is the second verse. And yet again I will defend it because it has an 'edge' to it. It's taut.

People know by now that I like the falsetto and I can't say why, on any rational basis. I just like it when he sings high. I don't want him to sing this way all the time (the way it was totally overused by Barry Gibb, whose natural voice I also prefer) but I do enjoy it.

05-06-2006, 10:47 PM
I will say this - even though I'm not a fan of the falsetto voice, I saw the Eagles do YBTTC in Hampton last March before it got dropped and it kicked butt. The song was awesome live and I'm sure the majority of the audience probably didn't even notice the falsetto voice. The audience loved it, and it got one of the loudest responses of the entire show.

~~~~~~