PDA

View Full Version : Which band line up is your favorite era?

Ive always been a dreamer
10-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I was looking at some posts today and it inspired me to start this new topic. I am curious - of all of the Eagles various line ups, which is your favorite and why? I went ahead and posted the line ups just in case some of you need to refresh your memory.

1971-1974
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner

1974-1976
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Don Felder

1976-1977
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Randy Meisner, Don Felder, Joe Walsh

1977-1980; 1994-2000
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit

2001-present
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit

Freypower
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I would have to say that my favourite lineup is the current one, but the 'classic' lineup is probably Frey/Henley/Felder/Walsh/Meisner.

eaglesvet
10-12-2008, 09:31 PM
I loved:heart: the lineup of HFO in 1994, because that was my first Eagles concert. They looked fantabulous, sounded great, and had all the wonders and talents of the current lineup plus one...what's not to love?:heart:

DonFan
10-12-2008, 09:44 PM
I loved:heart: the lineup of HFO in 1994, because that was my first Eagles concert. They looked fantabulous, sounded great, and had all the wonders and talents of the current lineup plus one...what's not to love?:heart:

Felder? :twisted:

Sorry all you Felder-lovers out there. It's not that he wasn't a great guitarist who made significant contributions to many Eagles songs, but reading that whiny tell-all book of his, full of those poor-me-stories such as "the-other-guys-forced me-to-do-all-that-partying-on-the-road-and-then-I-don't-know-why-my-wife-left-me, blah, blah, blah," BS just irritated the crap out of me. He is whining all the way to the bank.$$$

I love the current lineup. It just doesn't get any better than Don, Glenn, Timothy and Joe. Perfection!

Freypower
10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
:applause:

I completely agree with you, DF. The band is much better and happier without him, despite his talents. I was only prepared to acknowledge that he may be considered part of the 'classic' lineup.

10-12-2008, 09:54 PM
Well, since I started this thread, I guess I should try to answer the question. The trouble is I can't! I've thought long and hard about this and tried to see if I could pick just one or two that I like best, but no can do!

First I thought maybe I could eliminate the original line up of Glenn, Don H., Randy, and Bernie because maybe they were better with the addition of Felder. But then I decided I couldn't because this line up is responsible for Desperado, which is my second all-time favorite Eagles album (next to Hotel California). So maybe, I should eliminate the '74 - '76 line up, but like I said I think the addition of Felder was a great move for the direction the band was headed.

I can't eliminate the line up with Frey, Henley, Meisner, Felder, and Walsh because that the line up that created their masterpiece called Hotel California.

The final '70's line up (Frey, Henley, Felder, Walsh, and Schmit) can't be discarded either because of all it represents. They broke up, took a 14 year vacation, and got back together again. Since this is the HFO line up, I love it for all that it represents.

And now I love the current line up and all that it represents. It seems that they have finally come full circle. At last, "band morale is at an all time high" Frey declared in February. While not everything is perfect, it does seem that at last, the guys have the maturity and wisdom to deal with the highs and lows of being in a band - not to mention that the talent is still present in abundance. I think firing Felder was necessary for the preservation of the band. I feel that certainly this is the final line up and that in itself is significant.

GlennLover
10-12-2008, 11:10 PM
I was about to post that my favourite lineup is the current one until I read your post Dreamer. You make some very good points & what you say is probably true. However, I am going to go ahead & let my heart lead me & still choose the current lineup, only because HFO was the 1st time that I actually discovered what they looked like & did not become famliar with past lineups until after that.

I would have chosen that lineup with Felder included, but I can't get past the fact that he wrote his book & was so disrespectful to Don & (especially) Glenn :mad:. The fact that they felt that he had to be let go from the band, despite his talent, is another reason that I can't include him in my choice for favourite lineup. Just mho though.

MikeA
10-12-2008, 11:13 PM
With a question like this one, I have to think in terms of musical prowess alone and leave personalities out of it. None of those guys were angels anyway though they had the vocals and harmony that angels might be envious of.

But from a musical stantpoint, there is no doubt in my mind anyway (Rock Bias) that Felder, Schmit, Walsh, Henley and Frey had to be the best line up for my tastes. I'll probably step on some toes here, but I'd be just as happy if they'd leave the horns at home! They sound good on HC as an intro, but I'm not into the brass.

I'm not bashing Leadon and Meisner at all. It's just that it seemed to come all together for me with Walsh in the lineup. Two masters on guitar that harmonized as much on those strings as Henley and Frey and Schmit combined to blow everyone away with vocals!

I count myself lucky that I was able to catch Felder and Walsh here in Wichita back in 1976 when they played on the Hotel California tour...or maybe it just preceeded the tour. I seem to remember it being late November or December of '76. Whatever, they played most all of the cuts on HC. Fantastic show.

AzEaglesFan
10-13-2008, 12:47 AM
My favorite is the present band, I think they just are a better mix. Don the poet, Glenn the arranger, Timothy the soul and Joe the wild child. They are so gifted in their own way and I can't really pick a favorite one member.

Mrs Henley
10-13-2008, 03:32 AM
I think I choice the present line up, I think because I remember and been grown up with this line up, of course the line up at Hotel California (Frey, Henley, Meisner, Felder, and Walsh (thanks Dreamer!)), that the only line up of the 70's I remember. Although the HFO line up is one I know..
I saw the present line up live and I have no feelings with Felder, so I stay with the present line up!

TimothyBFan
10-13-2008, 08:20 AM
My favorite lineup is:

1971-1974
1974-1976
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner, Don Felder
1976-1977
1977-1980; 1994-2000
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Don Felder, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit
2001-present

All of them! Sorry--I thought about this before--I just can't decide!! I loved the first lineup because that is when I first discovered them.

I love the 1976 lineup because that is when Joe joined, even tho I was upset that Bernie had left. But then I really really loved it when Timmy joined for The Long Run era, again even tho Randy left.

Love Love Love the HFO era-I think mainly because they were finally back.

But now I think I feel a little differently because I, like DF and FP agree that Don's book has really changed the way I feel about him. I feel disappointed that any of the Eagles would write something like that and trash the others. Whether true or not, I don't believe in airing your dirty laundry in a book so publicly.
Does this make sense to anyone else? It's hard to explain because I have just loved them so much no matter what the year, the era or the members! I guess I just simply love the music!

eaglesvet
10-13-2008, 08:38 AM
I haven't read the book...now I'm wondering...should I or shouldn't I??

TimothyBFan
10-13-2008, 08:49 AM

I haven't read it either-just skimmed thru it and read bits and pieces right here on The Border under the forum about the book. I bought it but just haven't bothered to read it yet because I know how negative some of it is. As someone here told me awhile back when I was trying to decide to read it or not, there's probably nothing in there that a true fan doesn't already know or hasn't already heard anyways.

10-13-2008, 12:42 PM
I've said before that I am glad I read the book even though I honestly didn't learn much new about the band that I hadn't already heard before, I did enjoy reading the parts about Felder's personal life and how some of the songs were written.

However, I wish now that I hadn't spent my own money on it. If I had to do it over again, I'd still read it, but I'd get the book from my local library. I regret that I contributed to his sales and profits. If anyone wants to read the book, but doesn't want to buy it, I'll be glad to lend my copy to them. :-)

eaglesvet
10-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Libe should be just fine, but thanks anyway.

Prettymaid
10-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Once again I'm overthinking the question...favorite lineup... are we talking musically, personalities...?

Basing my answer on the music alone, I would have to go with the original lineup, because when I think of The Eagles music I think back to TIE, PEF, and TS. That music for me epitomizes The Eagles. I guess it's kind of like what Mrs H said - that's The Eagles I grew up to and familiarize myself with.

That being said, I also like the '76-'77 lineup, because with the release of HC, some of their music became more sophisticated (for lack of a better word), and I really appreciated when their music took that turn.

thelongrun
10-13-2008, 04:56 PM
The fav of mine was 1976-1977

But I teach my kids loyalty should pay, as living your lifetime in the present, so the Winner in my Book is:

2001-present
Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh, Timothy B. Schmit:idea:

Freypower
10-13-2008, 06:14 PM

Read it, but don't ever expect to feel the same way about Don Felder again. To quote The Band, 'just like a gambler says, read it and weep'. It was called Heaven & Hell, and about 95% of it was about the hell, and that included Felder's personal life, when apparently everything that went wrong with his marriage was his wife's fault.

If we try to be objective & accept that the 'classic' lineup must include Felder (I'm not talking 'favourite' here as I've already said my favourite lineup is the current one) it really comes down to which of the bass players contributed more.

Meisner: Overall, better songs, including Certain Kind Of Fool, Too Many Hands, Take It To The Limit and Try And Love Again (and I know many people love Midnight Flyer too). Very distinctive voice.

Schmit: Much stronger stage presence and he appears more versatile as a player, though I have to admit ignorance on this score. But his song contribution unfortunately lets him down. He's only done four, all of them ballads, two of them written by Paul Carrack and those, in my opinion, are not Eagles standard songs. You could say, however, that this isn't his fault. His harmonies, however, are a vital part of the band's sound and less 'shrill' than Meisner's parts.

On balance I would stick with the 'classic' HC lineup including Meisner, purely objectively. Subjectively I prefer Schmit.

sodascouts
10-13-2008, 06:29 PM
This is a difficult question; all the line-ups had their own appeal.

I love the original lineup for that amazing country-rock sound that they popularized, with its terrific harmonies and melodies. Overall, it's my favorite I think, simply because I like almost every song this foursome put out.

I think having both Bernie and Felder in the same band was an awkard fit, however, so that lineup is not my fave.

I love the HC "classic" lineup for their guitar power and the injection of the force of nature that is Joe Walsh!

Timothy B. Schmit is awesome, but I'm not sure he's an improvement over Randy musically. He just brings different things to the table - as FP pointed out, Tim's much better onstage. Since Randy sings my all-time favorite Take It to the Limit, however, I have to kind of prefer that lineup over the LR-HFO lineup. That said, the emotional aspect of the HFO lineup does have some sway over me because Hell Freezes Over was my introduction to the Eagles.

Steuart Smith complicates things for me regarding assessing the current line-up as opposed to the HFO lineup, however. He essentially duplicates Felder's parts onstage and now is a songwriting contributor as Felder was; however, he's not an Eagle. If we remove him from the equation, the current lineup's live sound wouldn't be comparable to the HFO lineup and songs like "Waiting in the Weeds" wouldn't have turned out the way they did. He's made himself a Felder replacement, but there's no getting around the fact that he is not considered part of the Eagles lineup officially. Where does that leave us? The only thing that recommends the current line-up over the HFO one, IMHO, is the emotional 'Yay, Felder's gone' aspect and not any musical one.

TimothyBFan
10-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Now you guys are just confusing me with all this Timmy/Randy talk! And then Soda throws in the whole thing about Steuart, which I hadn't even considered. Of course now I am asking myself, since Steuart is so good at filling the shoes of Don--why haven't they made him an official member, and do you think they might do just that in the future?

I'm still on record as saying I love all the lineups and cannot decide on just one.

Maleah
10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
Well my personal favorite is the current lineup. I suppose I'm kind of biased since I can say I've seen them now. lol But they were so in tune with each other and flawless that I just loved them!

If we're going with a classic lineup I would have to say my favorite is the -

1976-1977

Freypower
10-13-2008, 06:45 PM
They won't make Steuart an official member. If they did, how would Scott Crago feel, who contributes as much as Steuart does?

sodascouts
10-13-2008, 06:47 PM
And then Soda throws in the whole thing about Steuart, which I hadn't even considered. Of course now I am asking myself, since Steuart is so good at filling the shoes of Don--why haven't they made him an official member, and do you think they might do just that in the future?

I think it's a complicated issue with Smith. I think if this were "back in the day" when the Eagles line-up changed almost with every album, he would be an Eagle at this point. Look at all his contributions:

(from his page on EOC (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/collaborators/smith.htm))

Eagles co-writing credits
Business As Usual (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/eden/businessasusual.htm) (with Henley)
(https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/farewell1/dosomething.htm)Center of the Universe (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/eden/centeroftheuniverse.htm) (with Frey and Henley)
Do Something (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/farewell1/dosomething.htm) (with Henley and Schmit)
No More Walks in the Wood (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/eden/nomorewalksinthewood.htm) (with Henley and non-Eagle John Holllander)
Waiting in the Weeds (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/eden/waitingintheweeds.htm)(with Henley)

Eagles musical credits
Guitar, vocals on Farewell 1 (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/farewell1/index.htm)
Guitar, keyboards, mandolin on Long Road Out of Eden (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/eden/index.htm)

Eagles production credits
Co-producer of Long Road Out of Eden (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/../eagles/eden/index.htm)

However, making Smith an Eagle would have some complications. A lot of Felder fans would react negatively to a new guy officially taking his place. Traditionalists would not be happy that their "old-school" band has added a new guy to a line-up that otherwise reflects what they remember from 30 years ago (sans Felder). Finally, after the angst with Felder, they probably have the attitude of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." If Smith is willing to do all this stuff without becoming a full-blown member, why make him one? The only reason to do so would be to up his profile and garner him more recognition, but if he's not complaining....

I do think Smith's songwriting contributions make him more of a candidate for an Eagle than Crago, who has no Eagles songwriting credits. Also, Smith fits more musically - the Eagles already have a drummer.

Prettymaid
10-13-2008, 06:55 PM
Uhg, if this is turning into a 'should Steuart become a member' question my answer is no. Just leave things as they are, or better yet, have guest appearances by all the former Eagles!

MikeA
10-13-2008, 07:02 PM
I think there are maybe three distinctive levels to the Eagles TODAY.

You got the Boss of the Gang in Frey and Henley.

You got the gunslingers in Walsh and Schmit.

Then you have those who go in on the robberies in Smith, Scott and the horn section along with the others.

Seriously, Walsh, Schmit, Frey and Henley are the Eagles. I don't know why. But that is the way they all seem to look at it.

As for Meisner and Leadon and Felder....you can't replace them. They all added something entirely different. You can bring in Schmit and he I think brings his own value to the group but not simply as a replacement. It's the same with Leadon. You can't replace him. Neither Walsh nor Felder brought to the band that which Leadon brought. But the change with all of the "evolutions" was enivetalbe. Each departure and each arrival changed the sound of the band.

Stu is a phenominal guitarist. God I wish I could play like he does! But he is not Felder of Leadon. If Henley and Frey so wish (and it does seem like they are heading in that direction) they could make a unique place for him with new material and evidence of that is strong in LROE.

I'm rambling. Need sleep I guess.

DonFan
10-13-2008, 11:20 PM
Uhg, if this is turning into a 'should Steuart become a member' question my answer is no. Just leave things as they are, or better yet, have guest appearances by all the former Eagles!

Oh yeah-let's invite Felder back for a guest appearance.

MikeA
10-14-2008, 06:12 AM
Oh yeah-let's invite Felder back for a guest appearance.

My first chuckle of the day. Thanks DF!

Scarlet Sun
10-14-2008, 03:30 PM
The original lineup all the friggin' way. I like Felder, Walsh, and Schmit very much as indiviudal musicians and I think they did some very nice things with the band. But the original lineup laid the foundation, perfected the country-rock sound I am so fond of, and represent the band in its purest and most soulful form, as far as i'm concerned. Suffice it to say that I wouldn't be an Eagles fan if it weren't for the original quartet.

Brooke
10-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I'm getting way behind here. I hate it when I have to work at work and don't have time to play!

My first thought on this was the early one.

1971-1974

Since I was a fan of theirs from the beginning and I love the early music so much and I love Randy's songs, too.

But then, how could they have been any better than they are now?:shrug:

2001-present

After just seeing them live again, this is such a wonderful lineup, too! I guess it just has to be the current one!

It's really hard to say, because each lineup had it's own songs and it's very hard for me to say I don't like any of them! (Unless I can't forget about Felder's whining, which really made me dislike him as a person!)

Honestly, it's impossible for me to say!

Prettymaid
10-14-2008, 05:36 PM
Suffice it to say that I wouldn't be an Eagles fan if it weren't for the original quartet.

Thank you, Scarlet Sun, that's what I'm trying to say!

Scarlet Sun
10-14-2008, 06:52 PM
You're welcome! Bear in mind that I didn't become an Eagles fan until '86 and thus I am basing my decision from a completely retroactive perspective. I could say a lot more, but why go there? Let's keep things musical!
:band:

eaglesvet
10-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Scarlet: Interesting time to become an Eagles fan...shows what kind of draw they have had, to attract fans when they really weren't the "center of the universe" musically at the time!

Dreamer: What a thought-provoking question you posed...good one!

shunlvswx
09-09-2013, 05:07 PM
Since I just started listening to the Eagles, I really don't know that much about the original lineup. I would love to see them in concert one day before they stop touring one day.

So my favorite lineup.
1994-2000-It was really the HFO era that introduce me to the Eagles. I remembered watching the HFO special on MTV when I was 14. I remembered watching and wondering why Joe sings like that(I've gotten use to his singing and talking voice now, but you have to remember. I knew nothing about the Eagles).

2001-current:

WalshFan88
09-09-2013, 05:56 PM
Hotel California and Long Run lineup for this guy. I can't pick between the two. I love Randy and I love Timothy... Timothy was the perfect replacement IMO for Randy.

Outlawman13
09-09-2013, 06:16 PM
My favvie line-up would have to be Glenn, Don, Felder, Randy, and Joe!!!! And the my second would have to be the original line-up. I love the country-based Eagles and then the rockier side of them. I've always respected Don Felder as a guitarist and love seeing him jam in those sessions. I just love the Eagles though!!! Everything about them, their songs, and quite honestly, I love the older songs they did back then. The newer songs are amazing, but just can't match up to the rockier, older songs.

sodascouts
09-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Here's something mind-blowing....

could we consider Bernie to be a part of the current line-up?

Freypower
09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Here's something mind-blowing....

could we consider Bernie to be a part of the current line-up?

In my opinion, no. He's a guest. He is not on stage for the whole show.

Prettymaid
09-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Maybe they'll keep him on. ;-)

Outlawman13
09-09-2013, 11:40 PM
I would love it if Bernie was on the new line-up!!!! That would be so awesome.

Freypower
09-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Unless they are planning to make another album which would include Bernie, I don't know why he would continue to play with them after the History tour is over.

GettheLeadonOut!!
09-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Unless they are planning to make another album which would include Bernie, I don't know why he would continue to play with them after the History tour is over.

Because he IS an Eagle, plain and simple. He plays on 4 out of 7 studio albums (that's 4 more than Walsh and 5 more than Tim). Not trying to dismiss Joe or Tim, they've EARNED their status big time, but Bernie should be given full status again, imo. Why not?? let's make this band a quintet again and move forward. Not sure if Bernie would accept, but this lineup is most definitely my favorite. Walsh AND Leadon!! OMG!! Gives me goosebumps it's so frickin' awesome!!

Sebastian
09-10-2013, 02:37 PM
The second one (quintet, no Joe and no Tim). I think both Joe and Tim are extraordinary musicians, but I still prefer Bernie and Randy, especially vocal-wise.

Sebastian
09-10-2013, 02:39 PM
He plays on 4 out of 7 studio albums (that's 4 more than Walsh and 5 more than Tim).

Not meaning to be pedantic but: huh? Joe played on no albums and Tim on minus one album?

UndertheWire
09-10-2013, 03:23 PM
I want to go back in time to the Desperado era, around the time of the 1973 BBC concert or immediately afterwards. Just the four, playing smaller venues rather than stadiums. I wonder how they would have developed if Desperado had been more popular.

Freypower
09-10-2013, 06:53 PM
Not meaning to be pedantic but: huh? Joe played on no albums and Tim on minus one album?

Joe was on 3 albums - HC, TLR, LROOE. Tim was on 2 albums - TLR, LROOE. So to say Bernie was on '4 more than Joe and 5 more than Tim' is correct. He played on all the albums they did not play on.

GettheLeadonOut!!
09-11-2013, 03:18 PM
Joe was on 3 albums - HC, TLR, LROOE. Tim was on 2 albums - TLR, LROOE. So to say Bernie was on '4 more than Joe and 5 more than Tim' is correct. He played on all the albums they did not play on.

Actually Freypower, I was incorrect on saying Bernie was on 5 more than Tim so Sebastian is partially correct on calling me out. As you know, Tim didn't play on HC (Randy did) but neither did Bernie who had just been replaced by Joe.

As I've said before, having Bernie share the stage with Joe and Tim for the first time ever is a real treat to watch this tour. Seems like all the guys like having him aboard this time around.

thelastresort
09-24-2013, 11:12 AM
OTB-OOTN or HC for me. I prefer them as a 5 man line up as I think Felder added a new dimension of guitar playing to the band, but I can't decide whether I prefer the Eagles before or after Walsh (I don't mean that in a bad way, Joe's one of my guitaring heroes). Bernie was country-bluegrass through and through and his banjo / mandolin work on the likes of Tequila Sunrise, Saturday Night and Midnight Flyer are really cool, he made that chilled out, country-based Southern Cali rock sound for me. On the other hand Joe Walsh is an absolute monster of a guitarist. Hotel California goes without saying, but the bond he had with Felder and his songs like Pretty Maids All in a Row demonstrated a softer side to his music.

Brooke
09-24-2013, 01:12 PM
OTB-OOTN or HC for me. I prefer them as a 5 man line up as I think Felder added a new dimension of guitar playing to the band, but I can't decide whether I prefer the Eagles before or after Walsh (I don't mean that in a bad way, Joe's one of my guitaring heroes). Bernie was country-bluegrass through and through and his banjo / mandolin work on the likes of Tequila Sunrise, Saturday Night and Midnight Flyer are really cool, he made that chilled out, country-based Southern Cali rock sound for me. On the other hand Joe Walsh is an absolute monster of a guitarist. Hotel California goes without saying, but the bond he had with Felder and his songs like Pretty Maids All in a Row demonstrated a softer side to his music.

This reminds me, surely it's Bernie playing the mandolin on this tour during Saturday Night. Or is it pre-recorded? You can definitely hear it. Have they ever mentioned anything about it at all at the live shows? You would think they would. :shrug:

randymeisnerrocks
09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
My favorite lineup is Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Bernie Leadon, Randy Meisner and Don "Fingers" Felder. (Although I dearly love Joe Walsh and every single incarnation of the band!)

Midnight Visitor
09-24-2013, 01:23 PM
To me Joe Walsh was the smartest thing the Eagles ever did.

WalshFan88
09-24-2013, 01:28 PM
To me Joe Walsh was the smartest thing the Eagles ever did.

Absolutely. It made them a supergroup along with HC.

thelastresort
09-24-2013, 01:31 PM
This reminds me, surely it's Bernie playing the mandolin on this tour during Saturday Night. Or is it pre-recorded? You can definitely hear it. Have they ever mentioned anything about it at all at the live shows? You would think they would. :shrug:

I don't know (though I've never been to an Eagles gig, let alone one on the HOTE tour ;)) but it could equally be Steuart Smith I suppose. He seems to be able to play anything with strings and goes absolutely non-stop.