PDA

View Full Version : Political Calls

sodascouts
10-13-2008, 02:22 PM
I understand that people who do political calls are just trying to help out their candidate, but I've gotten FOUR calls over the past few days. It's getting pretty tiresome! They're all from the Obama camp, too. Can't these people cross-reference to see if I've been called before?

tbs fanatic
10-13-2008, 02:40 PM
It's funny you should say that. I was just thinking last night 'Why haven't we got any phone calls on this yet?' - usually we are inundated. Either that or knocks on the door just as you sit down to eat. It's weird.

Brooke
10-13-2008, 03:12 PM
We've gotten plenty, too. I've gotten so that when the number is "unknown" I pick it up to answer and then hang up. At least then I don't have to listen to the answering machine!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I definitely think it depends a lot on where you are as to which (and how many) calls you get. Normally, being in Virginia, where we haven't voted for a Democrat in a presidential race since 1964, I don't get that many calls. However, this year since we are a battleground state, I have been inundated. But, in my case, it is mostly from the McCain campaign since he is trailing in the polls here.

But, I totally agree with you Soda - it seems like they could mark there records better. However, I think they keep calling back to try to determine if people are changing their minds, since the poll numbers can be so unreliable.

TimothyBFan
10-13-2008, 03:24 PM
We are now a battleground state in Indiana this year also so we are getting them bad. To top it off, our son is now a new registered voter so all three of are getting them.:dizzy:

Molly
10-13-2008, 04:40 PM
When he's the one who takes the calles, my smart aleck son leaves us messages like "John McCain called" or "you're supposed to call Sarah Palin back". :eyebrow:

I love living with comedians.

TimothyBFan
10-13-2008, 04:48 PM
When he's the one who takes the calles, my smart aleck son leaves us messages like "John McCain called" or "you're supposed to call Sarah Palin back". :eyebrow:

I love living with comedians.

Ha Ha--I know what you mean-my son told Larry last week "guess what Dad, that Palin babe called me today and I hung up on her!":laugh:

sodascouts
10-13-2008, 05:39 PM
I used to never answer the phone if it said "Unknown" but I don't have an answering machine on my home phone (just voicemail on my cell), and I discovered that I could miss out on some important calls that way. Now I answer everything.

Freypower
10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
We don't get this in Australia, where voting is compulsory. I know how my husband would react if he had a call from a politician's office. He would go through the roof, as he hates all politicians of every stripe.

ticky
10-13-2008, 07:12 PM
When WE get those calls now, they arent even HUMAN!! its a recording!! whats worse is if you DONT answer it, the RECORDING leaves a MESSAGE!!! Yeah, I hate this time of year. EVERY year, there's always someone desperate to pass some ballot measure somewhere. Yesterday I got a call from the SEIU (Cliffy's union) asking me how I would vote. and I said "dartboard" and hung up!

eaglesvet
10-13-2008, 09:53 PM
:lol: I like that...the dartboard method!

Glennsallnighter
10-14-2008, 04:55 AM
We don't get called over here either during an election campaign, (Even if we DID we are ex directory so we mightn't get one). Here its the 'pavement pounding' method and I think quite a few politicians or their reps called to the house. I get emails from one party because my brother is a member. I suppose if he goes up for election (which isn't unlikely) I'll have to buy a new pair of boots!!

FP, I'm interested in the comment that voting is 'Compulsory' in Australia. How is that carried out? Is there a postal vote that can be used if you cannot vote on the day?

Freypower
10-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes, you can use a postal vote or vote absentee in another electorate if you're away from the electorate (constituency) in which you live.

Glennsallnighter
10-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Thanks for that. It makes sense. If we are out of town, away, or even ill we just have to miss it! Some occupations such as the Defense Forces are allowed a postal vote but very few.

ticky
10-15-2008, 05:21 PM
The state of Oregon actually has vote by mail too. It makes voting so easy! We get our ballots in the mail, fill them out and drop them back in the mail box, POOF your done!
I do kind of miss the pageantry of the the polls and the actual physical voting booth and dropping your ballot into the ballot box, but (last presidential election for example) when it comes down to which candidate do i HATE the least, the drive to actually show up at the polls is reduced and the likelihood that I might not go and vote is heightened! At least this way, I ALWAYS vote.

Mrs Henley
10-22-2008, 09:18 PM
As I speak for my mom and dad (I'm not allowed to vote yet).

Here in the Netherlands is it pretty easy.. we've got a couple of month before the voting a lot of commercials on the tv and in the newspapers, thank Goodness no calling.
And if you are on the day of voting sick than can you allow you partner to vote for you too, no probs.