PDA

View Full Version : Eagles nominated for 4 American Music Awards!

Maleah
10-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned somewhere, but it looks like the guys have been nominated for the following awards at the American Music Awards!

FAVORITE BAND, DUO OR GROUP (Pop/Rock category)

1. Coldplay
2. Eagles
3. Daughtry

FAVORITE ALBUM (Pop/Rock category

1. Coldplay/ Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
2. Eagles/ Long Road Out of Eden
3. Alicia Keys/ As I Am

FAVORITE ARTIST (Adult Contemporary category)

1. Daughtry
2. Eagles
3. Jordin Sparks

ARTIST OF THE YEAR (All)

Lil Wayne
Chris Brown
Alicia Keys
Eagles
Coldplay

WOW!!!!!!!

Maleah
10-14-2008, 05:45 PM
By the way.......go to http://abc.go.com/amavote/index?pn=index (http://abc.go.com/amavote/index?pn=index) to vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sodascouts
10-14-2008, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Maleah. I put it on the site!

Maleah
10-14-2008, 06:06 PM
No problem! I'm really excited! This is a fan voted awards show so if all their fans actually vote....they've got a really good chance of winning. lol And to be nominated with the people that they're nominated with.......it just shows how much people STILL love them to this day! :partytime:

TimothyBFan
10-14-2008, 06:36 PM
I have cast my vote!!! I didn't check to see if we can cast more than 1 vote?!?

Troubadour
10-14-2008, 06:40 PM
How fab!

eaglesvet
10-14-2008, 09:43 PM
How cool :cool: to be able to vote for the winners of an awards show...I was never aware of being able to do that before! Thanks for the info! I was well-versed in all categories except hip-hop/rap, inspirational, and soundtrack--oh well, not too shabby, I guess.

I noticed that the date of the awards is Sun. Nov. 23--which means the Eagles will NOT be able to accept their awards in person, because....
they will be too busy fabulously playing the Hershey show I am seeing from the 7th row!!! AAAHHH!!!:yay: How cool would it be for them to find out that they have won one or four awards during the concert, and to let their fans share their joy!!:thumbsup:

(or,:-( sadly, perhaps they would choose to cancel that concert to attend the awards show, leaving their fans holding nothing but chocolate bars and empty dreams??)

Mrs Henley
10-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks Maleah!
How great 4 AM Awards! Yeaaaah, let's hope they win at least one! :D
Go Eagles! :thumbsup:

Peekaboo
10-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Congrats to the guys for the nominations. That's really fantastic. I gotta say that there is absolutely no comparison of the Eagles with Lil Wayne. Lil Wayne may be one of the most popular music artists today but there's no way he'll be able to say that he had a career as good as the Eagles 30+ years from now.

Stephanie
10-15-2008, 05:19 AM
WOW really cool that the guys are nominated for 4 Awards!!
Let's hope they win! :D

Brooke
10-15-2008, 10:14 AM
Great news! Thanks Maleah!

Ev, I hope they don't cancel your show though!

tbs fanatic
10-15-2008, 10:29 AM
COOL!

eaglesvet
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Voting ends Nov 7...get your family members to log on, also!

sodascouts
10-15-2008, 11:54 AM
Oh, I'm 99.9% sure they won't cancel a concert in order to attend an awards show - especially since there's no guarantee they'll win one! Remember that a cancellation means lost revenue, not to mention disappointing and perhaps even angering fans.

The last time the Eagles were up for AMAs there was no show on that night, but still only Timothy came. I'm fairly certain you'll be alright, evet!

eaglesvet
10-15-2008, 12:18 PM
Oh, I 99.9% sure they won't cancel a concert in order to attend an awards show - especially since there's no guarantee they'll win one! Remember that a cancellation means lost revenue, not to mention disappointing and perhaps even angering fans.

The last time the Eagles were up for AMAs there was no show on that night, but still only Timothy came. I'm fairly certain you'll be alright, evet!

COOL!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Congratulations, Eagles!!!

This is just awesome to think after 4 decades, they are still as popular as ever!

And OBTW - I don't think you can vote but once, but as mentioned, you can encourage others to sign up to vote. Hmmm - I guess it's time to launch another 'Get out the vote' campaign!!!

tbs fanatic
10-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Okay, I've voted.:pray:

Mrs Henley
10-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Already voted, twice! :D

Glennsallnighter
10-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Congratulations Eagles
from me too

I hope you guys WIN all categories because you deserve to. I too will be voting!!!!!!!

Maleah
10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
You can only vote once unless you register with a different email address and username ;) :thumbsup:

**edited to say, I totally agree with the comment about lil' wayne and the guys. However, seeing as he is ridiculously popular right now....along with Coldplay, Chris Brown, Usher, Daughtry and all the other artists......it says a LOT that the Eagles are still this popular after 30 years to be nominated in these categories.

tbs fanatic
11-19-2008, 11:27 AM
The AMA's are close now - fingers crossed everyone :pray::thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 06:18 PM
Don't forget - these are on tonight! While the guys won't be there, I'm still interested to see how they do!

Troubadour
11-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Cool! Fingers crossed.

PatRockford
11-23-2008, 07:28 PM
If they do not win the award then I do not understand. I watched the CMA Awards and thought for sure they would win. Then their performance was at the end of the show. They are the best and deserve to win!!!

Peekaboo
11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Good luck to our guys on their nominations tonight. Sadly i'll be at work till 4 in the morning and won't get to watch the show but my dvr will be waiting for me when i get back to see the results.

TimothyBFan
11-23-2008, 08:56 PM
I won't be watching the show but will be watching here as much as I can to see what happens. My fingers along with other stuff are crossed for the our guys!:headbang:

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 09:05 PM
Christina Aguilera singing "Dirty" while dressed in nothing but a see-through negligee, black pantyhose, and boots...

You're not missing much.

TimothyBFan
11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
That is one of the main reasons I chose not to watch- the commercials were bad enough. If they were performing, that would be different.

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 09:09 PM
HAH! I thought the same thing about Christina.... doesn't do much for me....

BUT - I just happened to notice - the show is at the Nokia Theater in Los Angeles.... THAT'S where I saw the Eagles last October! Would much rather see THEM on that stage again than Christina.....

GOOD LUCK BOYS!

EagleLady
11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I honestly think Christina's kind of cool.

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Sorry -didn't mean to offend! :blush: I don't dislike her - She's just not one of my favs... We all have our favs right? :headbang:

What in the world was Rhianna wearing??:headscratch:

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 09:18 PM
Oh my gosh - Rhianna's outfit - is she TRYING to look ridiculous?

On a more positive note... the New Kids have aged well.

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I agree.... I guess they should be the "Not So New Kids on the Block" now huh?

Maybe the "New and Improved Kids on the Block" :hilarious:

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 09:24 PM
lol chaleymom!

Oh no. They just trotted out Paris Hilton.

:puke:

TimothyBFan
11-23-2008, 09:25 PM
Are there any men -other than the not so new kids on the block--on this show tonight?

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 09:26 PM
Who is that guy who introduced Pink? Is he on drugs?

Anyway, yes, there are a few TBF. lol

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 09:29 PM
HAH! Soda - that's what I thought! good thing he had cue cards.... no idea who he was but I think they either woke him up or took him away from his beer!

Hopefully Pink won't bend over ...... She must have been standing up when they spray painted her dress on! (Geesh! I am a little critical tonite huh?) Maybe I'm just jealous of her figure! :?

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 09:39 PM
LOL about Pink! She looked gorgeous, though.

Dang. Rascal Flatts wins AGAIN????

EagleLady
11-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Congrats to Rascal Flatts. They're gorgeous too.

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 10:11 PM
Interesting to see your opinion of Rascal Flatts is so markedly higher now than it was when they won the CMTs a couple weeks ago.

Coldplay is on now. LOVE them. Still don't want 'em to win. ;)

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 10:15 PM
And the winner for FAVORITE ALBUM (Pop/Rock category) is....

Alicia Keys/ As I Am.

Strike 1 for the Eagles. :(

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 10:16 PM
seriously????? Alicia over the Eagles!!!!! Whatever!

TimothyBFan
11-23-2008, 10:23 PM
Ouch---Bummer--3 more categories!!

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 10:25 PM
I'm being Ms. Critical here again but.... ick! Mariah - talk about spray painted dresses! Bleh....

EagleLady
11-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Interesting to see your opinion of Rascal Flatts is so markedly higher now than it was when they won the CMTs a couple weeks ago.

Coldplay is on now. LOVE them. Still don't want 'em to win. ;)

Well, I couldn't stay mad at them for long.

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm being Ms. Critical here again but.... ick! Mariah - talk about spray painted dresses! Bleh....

She's totally lip-syncing!

EagleLady
11-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Alicia's kind of cool. I think the people who vote for this stuff must be in the 20 to 30 range. Still sucks for our boys.

chaleymom
11-23-2008, 10:32 PM
Do you see some of the heels those gals are wearing? I'm just waiting for someone to fall down the steps.... OUCH!

11-23-2008, 10:34 PM
I would agree EL. Doesn't bode well for our guys - but, as far as I'm concerned, they are incomparable. I'd bet good money that 30 years from now, people will still know Eagles songs. Now, I do think Alicia Keys and Cold Play are both talented artists, but far from the legends that the Eagles are.

EagleLady
11-23-2008, 10:35 PM
Oh, I agree.

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 11:03 PM
The Jonas Brothers are little cuties!

Wildthyme
11-23-2008, 11:04 PM
Would someone like to explain to me why, when the AMA's are in Los Angeles and I am on the west coast too, instead of showing them live they are tape delaying them until 8 pm?????? :headscratch::cuss::tonguewag:

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Oh my gosh. Annie Lennox is AMAZING. I LOVE that song. :: chills ::

Troubadour
11-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Ooh, I adore Annie Lennox. What did she sing?

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 11:24 PM
One of my all-time favorite songs: "Why."

Troubadour
11-23-2008, 11:27 PM
Oh, beautiful! It always gives me chills too. I'll have to try to find the performance on youtube in the next couple of days.

Wildthyme
11-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Oh my gosh. Annie Lennox is AMAZING. I LOVE that song. :: chills ::

Yes she has an amazing voice... She has always been a favorite of mine.

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 11:41 PM
And the winner of FAVORITE BAND, DUO OR GROUP (Pop/Rock category) is....

Daughtry.

Eagles: 0-2.

But Daughtry rocks so I'm not TOO mad.

Maleah
11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
If they're going to lose....I can handle them losing to Daughtry. ;) Alicia Keys on the other hand......... :headscratch:

I haven't been able to watch.....has anybody even mentioned the guys?

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 11:51 PM
WOW.

Sarah McLachlan is another one of my favorite artists EVER.... and I adore the song "Angel." Her duet with Pink... magnificent.

But no, Maleah, the Eagles haven't been mentioned.

11-23-2008, 11:53 PM
WOW.

Sarah McLachlan is another one of my favorite artists EVER.... and I adore the song "Angel." Her duet with Pink... magnificent.

I agree Soda. They were amazing together.

Maleah
11-23-2008, 11:53 PM
I LOVE Sarah McLachlan and that song is my favorite of hers! Is that the one they sang??

11-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Artist of the Year

????????????????

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Yes, Maleah that's what Sarah and Pink did, and it was GREAT!

What was not so great....

CHRIS BROWN won artist of the year over the Eagles. I don't even know who that is!

Maleah
11-23-2008, 11:59 PM
You don't know who Chris Brown is?? He's producing pretty much everything for everybody in hip hop/r&b these days. lol He did the song with Jordin Sparks called "No Air" and his big debut was "Run It."

Wish I could have heard Sarah and Pink!

So the Eagles were 0-4?

sodascouts
11-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Sorry Maleah, I haven't heard "Run It" or "No Air."

But I have no idea who won Adult Contemporary, because it wasn't announced on-air, inexplicably.

P.S. I bet "Angel" will be up on YouTube soon.

ETA: I take it back - I HAVE heard "No Air." I just looked it up on YouTube, lol. Just didn't realize it was him!

Wildthyme
11-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Apparently Daughtry won the Adult Contemporary category so the boys did go 0-4... :cry:

EagleLady
11-24-2008, 12:11 AM
Like I said before, a few plastic statutes don't determine who is the best. Our boys will always be the best.

EagleLady
11-24-2008, 12:11 AM
You don't know who Chris Brown is?? He's producing pretty much everything for everybody in hip hop/r&b these days. lol He did the song with Jordin Sparks called "No Air" and his big debut was "Run It."

Wish I could have heard Sarah and Pink!

So the Eagles were 0-4?

He has a big head :lol:

GlennLover
11-24-2008, 12:22 AM
:depressed: Oh well. At least it is quite an achievement to even be nominated in these categories in the AMAs, especially at this stage of their careers!! I'm still very proud of our boys!
Glenn, Don, Joe & Timothy :iloveyou:.

EagleLady
11-24-2008, 12:41 AM
I second that GL. The Who is another band that is my favorite that hasn't really won any awards, but they still have the music.

DonFan
11-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Sorry everyone, but I have been out all evening. I know the guys went 0-4 :cry: but were any of them at the ceremony?

Wildthyme
11-24-2008, 01:39 AM
Nope DF. They had a show in Hershey, PA tonight.

Peekaboo
11-24-2008, 08:52 AM
He has a big head :lol:

LOL!! I've always thought the same thing. :rofl:

TimothyBFan
11-24-2008, 09:00 AM
Went to bed before it was all over with and couldn't wait to check this out this morning. What a bummer but I guess no real big surprise. I'm really glad they got nominated tho. With all these young hip artists, what an honor to still be included in this group. Of course, I think they should of ran away with all of them but I knew better. At least all of us here know who is the best group and has been for many many many many years!!!!:headbang:

MikeA
11-24-2008, 10:07 AM
I'm not sure where I'm going with this or how I'm going to get there, so bear (bare...something like that) with me until I get there. :headscratch:

Speculation was "why" the Eagles didn't win in the AMA's last night. I really didn't expect them to win when the winners were to be selected by popularity as judged by phone votes or text messaging. I've felt the same way about other "contests" in which popular vote determined the winner such as "American Idol" or "RockStar" or "SuperNovae". Most of the time, the best and most talented person doesn't win and often completely FLOPS as a star after the competition is over. Where is "Supernovae" now? They AREN'T! Where is NXSS now? They pretty much aren't! In fact, about the only one that I see still making great noise is that young female country singer from Oklahoma that won on American Idol a couple of years ago...She's BIG. But she is the exception! Daughtry is doing okay, but nothing in comparrison to Ms Oklahoma!!!! Ironic that I can't think of her name, but then I'm not at all into country music.

As a matter of fact, there is even a hugely populated website dedicated to choosing the WORST performer in these Reality Show contests and throwing their combined weight behind getting them through to the finals! And to a degree they have enough weight to actually influence the results!

I do not think that these real-time votes are indicative of the popularity of an artist or band by the entire audience of those of us who appreciate "music". Rather, it is a reflection of the popularity of artists and groups who are popular with those who are quick to express their opinions using the technology of today.

Back around 1980 when the Eagles released the biggest selling record EVER (Greatest Hits), think of their audience. It was mostly US! Those of us who were around when they released the album. I don't think that the Eagles have lost many fans over the last 30 years! In fact, I think they have gained more fans than they've lost through the normal aging process (some of us didn't make it!).

But the reason they didn't WIN last night was because those of us who are their fans, are not the ones picking up the phone and casting our votes! The portion of the music appreciating population who voted and produced the results of last night's awards ceremony, are those who are into the Hip Hop and Pop type music that is performed by the artist that did win.

It's no reflection on the Eagles that they didn't win. It is a reflection only on those who DIDN'T vote. I didn't. Never occurred to me to cast a vote. While many of YOU may have voted, I think there must have been far more like me who didn't.

None of that in any way indicates that I think the Eagles are not still the Greatest Band on the Planet (as Joe would say).

EagleLady
11-24-2008, 10:12 AM
LOL!! I've always thought the same thing. :rofl:

I'm sure it's gotten even bigger since he won last night :lol:

DonFan
11-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Well put, Mike.

Wildthyme
11-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I assume you mean Carrie Underwood Mike? I agree with you that it is rarely the most talented performer that wins these reality shows. Though in her case...

MikeA
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
I assume you mean Carrie Underwood Mike? I agree with you that it is rarely the most talented performer that wins these reality shows. Though in her case...

Yeah, that's her name. Sweet voice. She was on some show this past year where That Flatts and something else were trying to do Desperado. Carrie came on and carried the performance. The other two were butchering it <LOL> It might have been the rock-n-roll Induction ceremony.

She's pretty wonderful though if you like that kind of music!

ticky
11-24-2008, 12:17 PM
The lead singer of Daughtry is an American Idol reject and they won last night.

MikeA
11-24-2008, 12:19 PM
The lead singer of Daughtry is an American Idol reject and they won last night.

I think the jury is still out. Someone else said it.....50 years from now, people will still know who the Eagles and Beatles were, but I doubt they'll know who Daughtry is/was

tbs fanatic
11-24-2008, 12:43 PM
I've never understood the popularity of Daughtry??? He's 'okay' but I couldn't hum you even one of his songs. Carrie Underwood is pretty good but, even she, is not one of those singers people are going to be talking about 30 years from now. I didn't watch the show. I see Rascal Flatts won AGAIN :headscratch::roll:

chaleymom
11-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Mike - I think you hit the nail on the head..... and IMHO, I don't really think the Eagles care that they didn't win anything last night..... I think they're all pretty happy with the success of their current tour - not to mention the millions of $$$ (billions?) their records are still making.

And, no, I don't think there were too many people over the age of 40 who probably voted in the AMA's...... they were all home, happily listening to the Eagles on their Ipods or watching their videos on UTube - or attending the concerts!

:headbang:

sodascouts
11-24-2008, 12:56 PM
I like Daughtry because they have some really good songs like What About Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylgchWR-Ig) and Home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8A2FaHhc3c). Carrie Underwood is very talented, too, as is Kelly Clarkson. Jennifer Hudson, although not a winner, blew me away with her voice in Dreamgirls. Both she and Chris Daughtry made it pretty far, didn't they? I think Daughtry was in the top 2. American Idol hasn't done too badly.

MikeA
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I like Daughtry because they have some really good songs like What About Now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ylgchWR-Ig) and Home (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8A2FaHhc3c). Carrie Underwood is very talented, too, as is Kelly Clarkson. Jennifer Hudson, although not a winner, blew me away with her voice in Dreamgirls. Both she and Chris Daughtry made it pretty far, didn't they? I think Daughtry was in the top 2. American Idol hasn't done too badly.

You're right Soda...as usual. AI has done all right. But you pretty much named the ones who have quite a bit of "name recognition". Who was the big guy who bet Akins? Akins had an album but I don't think it did all that well. Hudson made a big splash and did well in the theater, but still hasn't really become a "star" has she? I mean a "Commercially Marketable STAR".

Of all of them I think that Carie Underwood is the only one to go on to become a big "star". Daughtry might make it. The guy who won last year had a good Rock voice, but from what I hear, every song on his album sounds pretty much like every other song on the album. It takes more than that to be a star. Underwood has it! I'm skeptical that the others will really become big.

But my bias is showing there. I could be totally out in left field.

tbs fanatic
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
I agree Mike. Carrie is probably the best bet. I'd forgotten about Kelly Clarkson - I liked her at the time but seems like she's been MIA lately? Wasn't there some fuss over her last album? She went her own way with it but then it didn't do very well - something like that. Seems like I haven't heard anything from her since then.

wsccg
11-24-2008, 03:18 PM
I agree with you as well Mike. I think that the greater majority of artists making any kind of popularity noise these days will not be thought of much in 20 years. Sort of like the "stars" of the 80's and 90's. Yes, there are some that have kept afloat, but all in all, I can not think of too many that have had the staying power to maintain the ability to fill the types of show houses as bands like the eagles. Mind you, this opinion is coming from someone who has been playing music for about 25 years, just not in front of anyone. (That makes me almost pee from pure stagefight thoughts!!!)

Maleah
11-25-2008, 12:50 AM
Gotta disagree here on American Idol stars. Just because they won a reality show doesn't mean they arent talented or aren't deserving. Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, David Cook, Chris Daughtry, Jennifer Hudson, Bo Bice.......all are some of my favorite vocalists and all are VERY talented. Ruben Studdard, Clay Aiken, Jordin Sparks, David Archuleta, Fantasia, Elliot Yamin........they are all also very talented in their own genre's of music and have all had big songs. Yeah, there have been some unfortunate contestants who just weren't very good. But I can point out a lot of those that "made it" on their own and somehow managed to get signed to a recording contract! lol As far as seeing the longevity of artists like the Eagles, the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, and others...I doubt even they thought back in the 70's that they would be at the level that they are at today. You just never know how music trends are going to go. They change so fast now days that you could be popular one day and the next day be "so yesterday." lol Regardless, I love AI (in case you coudn't tell) because I love music and I love to watch as America discovers an amazing voice emerge from the unknowns!

Maleah
11-25-2008, 12:55 AM
I agree Mike. Carrie is probably the best bet. I'd forgotten about Kelly Clarkson - I liked her at the time but seems like she's been MIA lately? Wasn't there some fuss over her last album? She went her own way with it but then it didn't do very well - something like that. Seems like I haven't heard anything from her since then.

She wanted to record her own songs and in the style that she wanted and her record label wanted her to record a pop album of songs that they chose. She argued with the label owner (Clive Davis I think?) and the media made a big deal of it. Unfortunately, yes, the album was pretty much a bust (although it has a song called "Be Still" on it that I love!). She just signed Reba McEntire's husband, Narvel, as her manager and either just finished, or is just finishing up a tour with Reba. I went to one of the shows in October and it was amazing! They sang for about 3 hours and shared leads on each song. Kelly has such an amazing voice though. She even brought Reba to tears a couple of times.

Back to the Eagles topic (sorry for straying! lol)......whether they won or not....it is definently an accomplishment that they should be proud of to even be nominated. The AMA awards are notorious for nominating the "it" artists. The ones that can do no wrong for that year and have had all the #1 songs. So to be included in the categories that they were, with the other artists that they were, at this stage in their career is awesome!

MikeA
11-25-2008, 07:43 AM
Cannot argue with a thing you've stated Meleah. Not a single point. These kids do have great voices. "Cook". That's the guy that won last year wasn't he? I do like the quality of his voice. He can reach "gravelie" notes (like with gravel in his voice!) that peels paint from the rafters! Ruben Studdard (he's the big guy, right?) he was able to do the same thing though I though Akins should have been the pick that year. I do appreciate the vocal qualities these singers have.

I'm not throwing asparagus at them! My only point was that as far as a really successful Star in the industry, I think that Carrie is the only one who has succeeded. Maybe the others have deserved it but haven't really accomplished it yet.

And, quite possibly, no one will ever reach the summit of the industry as did the Eagles and Beatles and The Who and others back in the day. I hope I am wrong. Even at my age, I would like to hear something "revolutionary", something "new". (And it ain't agonna be no hip-hop for ME)

I have had a huge disappointment with the results of these shows myself. Happened with "RockStar SuperNova" was televised. Dilana Smith was a "contestant" on that show. No one with any kind of ear for music could honestly deny that Dilana was the absolute cream of all of the talent that was trying to become the "frontman" for that band. She did and still does, give me goosebumps with virtually every song she sang.

She wasn't selected by the band. I honestly believe they were afraid that she (Dilana) would completely overshadow the group of Stars who were playing the instruments. I was disappointed when she lost out to that guy from Canada (Lucas I think his name was) but so much MORE disappointed when she was not able to get her career launched.

Something happened with her tour in the UK and Canada. She was left holding the bag in London I think....mis-management she said. I think her backers just pulled out on her myself. Anyway, she had to fall back on a plea to her fans (a lot of outlaw biker gangs are included in that group of fans) through the Internet to get enough money to basically hitchhike across Canada to perform that leg of the tour. Another fan gave her the airline tickets to get from the UK to Canada!

Folks, Dilana is a TALENT. And she WORKS at what she does giving it EVERYTHING. But she isn't being "bought" by the public. There is a big problem in the industry when such talent as Dilana's goes unrecognized. Something is wrong with the System.

I guess I should be resigned to happiness that at least the Eagles have found a way to maintain a level of success. But I have doubts that they could break into the industry today if they were totally unknown like they were back in 1969. And if you know me, you KNOW that is a slam on the industry and today's "buying public", NOT on the Eagles talent!

Maleah
11-27-2008, 06:54 PM
I definently understand what you're saying Mike! Yes, that was David Cook that won last year and I LOVE his voice! I love those "raspy, "gravelly" voices and he definently has it and with range! I agree that Clay Aiken should have won that year. I thought he should have beat Ruben that year but oh well. lol

I agree about no one really reaching the "summit" and I think a big reason is because the BIG style of music these days is rap/hip hop and punk music......and most of the artists sound the same or very similar. There really aren't distinguising characteristics these days. Which is one reason I think Carrie is doing so well. Her voice is very distinct. I really think David Cook will do well too and Kelly Clarkson has had a great career.

Hopefully the tide changes soon and we'll see something a little more unique be the "next big thing." lol

Maleah
11-27-2008, 07:00 PM
I guess I should be resigned to happiness that at least the Eagles have found a way to maintain a level of success. But I have doubts that they could break into the industry today if they were totally unknown like they were back in 1969. And if you know me, you KNOW that is a slam on the industry and today's "buying public", NOT on the Eagles talent!

One other thing I forgot to comment on was this part. I completely agree that it's hard to see the Eagles breaking into the industry today as they did so many years ago. As sad as that is to say. Today's music industry requires women who are breaking into the business to dress half naked and dance provocatively and requires that the men pretty much be good looking guys who can dance and have music with a hip hop beat. There's not much room for people to break in based on musical talent alone anymore. Gone are the days where an average looking person can go into a record label's office with an amazing song and get signed on that alone. At least in my opinion those days are gone. Good songs aren't a requirement anymore. That is why I cherish the songwriting of the likes of Mr. Henley!

MikeA
11-27-2008, 07:15 PM
Well, if you like "that kind of voice" and I do too, then I can tell you who the next "big one" should be but probably won't be.

This dynamite is in a very small package. She's covered in tattoos and I think may have commissioned the demolition of a 747 to construct the piercings she has. Wild hair and wilder stage clothes. The type "punk looking" person that I would NEVER in a million years have thought I'd get chill bumps over. But she did it. She hooked me and I'm not easily hooked.

Her name: "Dilana Smith" with some credentials as "Dilana Robichaux". Her primary instrument (her voice) has so much smoke in it, grit encrusted in it and decibels pushing it that it is impossible to believe she is the source!

I think I've heard her sing covers of "Who", "Johnny Cash", "Nivarna", and others, putting her own spin on them to the point of having results that should have been released on an album. And, the music she writes herself is first class as well.

I'm not sure why she is struggling now. But in my mind, she is THE best female Rock Vocalist on the Planet today! If you haven't heard her sing, check her out. She was a finalist on "Rockstar Supernova" a few years ago but that is about the only exposure she's had in big media. For years she played bars down in Texas. Remind you of anyone? Does Stevie Ray Vaughan and Janis Joplin ring any bells? I thought the exposure on the TV Reality Rock show might propel her into the limelight but for some reason it didn't.

If somehow you get the impression that I'm a bit ga-ga over her, you would be spot on!

Maleah
11-27-2008, 11:25 PM
I'll definently have to check her out cuz I LOVE that type of voice! And I would never have been able to guess that you are a little gaga over her Mike. ;)