PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Long Road Out of Eden"!

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
10-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Can you believe it's been a year since Long Road Out of Eden was released? Amazing!

I just want to thank the guys for keepin' on keepin on' - still giving us great music. As a latecomer to the fandom, I am especially grateful.

They still got it! ;)

Prettymaid
10-30-2008, 11:21 AM
https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/eaglesLROOE02.jpg

Happy birthday LROOE. The music has brought
much joy and introspection to my life.

TimothyBFan
10-30-2008, 12:20 PM
I knew we'd have a thread today for this so I waited patiently so that I could post my fave pic of Timothy from LROOE

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/TimothyBSchmit71.jpg

I can't wait for Survivor to start tonight because this album has grown on me each and every time I hear any of it and my favorites have changed since a year ago. Anxious to hear how everyone else feels about it!!

Such an exciting day here at the Border with Timothy's birthday and the 1 year anniversary of LROOE!!

Mrs Henley
10-30-2008, 12:31 PM
Happy Birthday Long Road Out Of Eden!
Eagles, it's great to see you guys back on the road again and you all are still the same great musicians as we ever knew!
Keep rocking!

*with the desperate hope that the Eagles ever will read this*

Brooke
10-30-2008, 01:16 PM
I know, MH!

Just in case:

Thanks guys for hitting the road again and bringing us fans so much pleasure with your gift of music......amongst other things! :wink:

EAGLES-WE LOVE YOU!!!

DonFan
10-30-2008, 05:05 PM
This is a great day for celebrations. Last year, I remember thinking how incredibly lucky I was that they picked this day to release LROOE. Now many songs from that album are old favorites--I can hardly remember when we didn't have them to listen to. It was absolutely worth the wait!

Freypower
10-30-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm not sure that LROOE hasn't become my favourite Eagles album. There is so much of it, so much variety, so much depth. They've surpassed themselves, especially with the title track. Long may they continue.

Troubadour
10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
This thread made me a little emotional. I agree with DF - these are pure Eagles songs that stand up with the best of the rest of 'em. I keep on dreaming of the day when I can finally hear them live.

Because Willie did it and I'm not one to be left out :wink: One of my favourite LROOE pics:

http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/DHenleyLROOEDeluxe01.jpg

It's a great shot of both of them, but I'm sorry... Could Don be any hotter? He should lounge around more in photos! :drool:

GlennLover
10-30-2008, 11:54 PM
Even though the only new song that they did in the concert that I saw, was "How Long", if they hadn't put out LROOE, (as Glenn said) they wouldn't have gone on tour again & I wouldn't have been able to see them live for the first & probably only time.

Happy 1st Birthday Long Road Out of Eden! :birthday:

TimothyBFan
10-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Thanks Troub--I also love that pic!!!

sodascouts
10-30-2009, 12:50 AM
Can you believe it's been two years since LROOE came out? Wow! This is its anniversary week, and as usual, I've changed the default board style. Feel free to post your ruminations on the album here when you get a chance.Two years... dang, time flies.

DonFan
10-30-2009, 07:18 AM
Time really does fly. The fact that they chose to release it on my (and Timothy's) birthday has always made it one of my favorite presents.

I remember going to Wally-World in the middle of the night to purchase my copy and listening spellbound to all the terrific songs. My immediate favorite was Waiting in the Weeds and I still adore it.

cynd1231
10-30-2009, 07:57 AM
I have to agree with DF, Waiting in the Weeds has always been a personal favorite of mine...terrific lyrics and great harmonies. But the entire collection is fantastic. TWO YEARS ALREADY? Where has the time gone! Happy Anniversary, LROOE!!

Brooke
10-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Wow, time does fly! 2 years already!

I especially remember WITW, it took my breath away I thought it was so beautiful! And Somebody! I couldn't believe it was Glenn and I loved it, too!

Koala
10-30-2009, 02:20 PM
WOW two yeaes ago, unbeliveble!
I can still remember exactly to the day before two years.
I had pre-ordered the Album and it should come also on this day!
But I was not at home all day and when I arrived in the evening there was no package for me! I was totally disappointed!
However, my neighbor came a little later with a package for me, the postman had delivered it at her! Then I heard immediately the Album and I was immediately thrilled!

eaglesfever
10-30-2009, 02:50 PM
Can't believe it's 2 years ago already...

I really liked the album instantly (in general), but it's funny, from only listening to the CD I had a few favourites, but after the live concert in Zurich my favourites changed because I "discovered" songs I didn't pay that much attention before.

One fav never changed: Waiting in the weeds, it's just brilliant.

My current favs are Waiting in the weeds, Long road out of Eden, Somebody, Last good time in town and What do I do with my heart (a.k.a What does he do with my heart :)).

Well done guys :applause:

Super Frey
10-30-2009, 03:09 PM
It doesn't seem like it's been that long, I love the Long Road too. I like Somebody, that's my fave. I like What Do I Do With My Heart Too, Guilty Of The Crime, Frail Grasp, and You Are Not Alone.:soda:

GlennLover
10-30-2009, 04:16 PM
No, it really doesn't seem like two years have passed. My favourite keeps alternating. WITW, How Long, WDIDWMH, Somebody are all at the top of my list however, I know that I am in the minority here, but I love I Love To Watch A Woman Dance. The reason for this is mainly Glenn's beautiful voice & his interpretation of the song!

Fan_For_Life
10-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Perfect continuation of Eagles history. :)

eaglesfever
10-30-2009, 05:23 PM
No, it really doesn't seem like two years have passed. My favourite keeps alternating. WITW, How Long, WDIDWMH, Somebody are all at the top of my list however, I know that I am in the minority here, but I love I Love To Watch A Woman Dance. The reason for this is mainly Glenn's beautiful voice & his interpretation of the song!

You are not alone (:)) with that one, love his voice in that song - and love the following lyrics part:

'Cause to dream, sometimes, is the only way
To go places you can't get to any other way

how true...

Freypower
10-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I think people know I adore ILTWAWD. I think it's a stunning performance.

My favourite track is the title track - an absolute masterpiece which I already consider in the band's top ten works. As well as that I love all the songs Glenn sings - every one of them. I love WITW, FGOTBP and BAU too.

My major complaint is that Joe and Tim's songs don't really do them justice, with the exception of Do Something, and I would have liked to have been informed which musicians played what on each recording. Also, I still think it would not hurt the band to play a couple more of these songs live.

Troubadour
10-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Aw, Happy Birthday to LROOE! The title track remains my favourite. Seeing the guys perform it live took my breath away.

It's an all-round awesome album. There's not one song that hasn't grown on me over time. Also, yummy artwork! ;)

Ive always been a dreamer
10-30-2009, 07:45 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

It really doesn't seem like it's been 2 years since this album was released. I'll make some more comments throughout our celebration week, but I would have to say that my favorite song has to be 'How Long'. From the very first opening note, I just love the song. It is the vintage Eagles sound that I love so much. Even if they didn't write the song, they own it.

Also, you can definitely count me as one who also loves I Love To Watch a Woman Dance.

Peekaboo
10-30-2009, 08:01 PM
Happy Anniversary LROOE!!!

LOVE LOVE LOVE this album. A huge THANK YOU to the guys for putting out this album. LROOE has given us fans sooo much...new songs, new tour, new pics, new interviews, and a chance to see them perform live on tv. We've gotten all of this from LROOE and yet we fans hunger for more...go figure.

GlennLover
10-30-2009, 11:28 PM
Glad to hear that more people love ILTWAWD!

I too love all the songs that Glenn sings :thumbsup:.

I found that most of the songs have grown on me as well. There isn't a song on the album that I don't like. I think the song LROOE is a masterpiece. I thoroughly enjoy the entire album.

Dreamer, I agree with you about HL. As I have mentioned before, HL was the only LROOE song that they sang at the concert that I attended & they opened with it. A huge thrill went through my entire body when I heard the first few notes. It's a great song for them & they certainly do an outstanding job on it!

Koala
10-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Yesterday I forgot to write quite what are my favorite songs from this album. So, my favorites are:

How Long
BBF
Do Somethink
Long Road Out Of Eden ( especially I love the beginning from this song)
Somebody ( I like really like here Glenn's spucky voice)
Guilty Of The Crime
Waiting In The Weeds
ILTWAWD
NMWITW

There are no songs on this album, which I do not like!

MikeA
10-31-2009, 08:51 AM
A whole year? It's been a year? Where's the NEXT album? <LOL>

sodascouts
10-31-2009, 10:19 AM
I thought I would try to put together some of my thoughts from when the album came out and augment them with things that have changed. I'm gonna segment this because there's so much to say!

I still remember that excitement beyond belief when I held the album in my hands... the one that I thought would never happen, the one I was afraid to hope for. Even after hearing it on preview, there was just something about having it in my possession that made it REAL. The Eagles are so amazing for putting out new music after all this time when so many of their peers rest on their laurels.

THE EAGLES ROCK.

No More Walks in the Wood - I love the beautiful harmonies that this piece is obviously designed to feature. The individual voices come through loud and clear, each adding its own texture. Melodically, it's not very interesting, but the melody isn't what's important here, it's the vocal. The reason the melody isn't my favorite is that it reminds me of some of the doxology-type songs we would sing in church, where we would try to make Bible verses that weren't intended to be sung into songs and it got a bit awkward with the melody.Ideally, the melody would have a more satisfying structure that sounds more cohesive and less meandering. For an example of the ideal, see "Seven Bridges Road." That has a terrific melody that doesn't detract from the vocals in any way.

How Long - So much fun! This one makes me smile every time I hear it, despite the unpleasant opening image of a dissected bluebird. :wink: This song has always been great, and the guys do it justice now just as they did over 30 years ago. It seems so "right"!

Busy Being Fabulous So, so catchy. I love it. It gets stuck in your head, and ever since, I've sometimes used the phrase as a joke - "I wonder if Stevie Nicks is busy being fabulous tonight?" lol I think they were right to choose this as the second single. It's got that "hook" that even catches the casual listener. This also has a bit of a country flavor to it. It's got a pleasant melody and the "uh-huh" is a nice touch.

What Do I Do With My Heart My favorite on the album, right up there with Waiting in the Weeds! Magnificent vocals, strong melody, effective song structure. Glenn nails that love-lorn vocal, rich yet vulnerable. Bringing Don in at the end for that back-and-forth just takes it to the next level and emphasizes it's an Eagles song. The bridge is unexpectedly different, and it's terrific. The power of Glenn's vocal from the bridge to the end is what really sells it for me, though. He make you feel it. That's what has always drawn me to his music, and he's done it again here.

More later!

EasyFeeling
10-31-2009, 11:00 AM
Wow, already 2 years :shock:

Happy Anniversary, LROOE :) When I listened to it the first time Waiting In The Weeds just blew me away and it was my favorite and still is. My least fav was the title track, but since I've heard it live I've changed my mind. :)

sodascouts
10-31-2009, 11:36 AM
And in honor of both Halloween and Long Road Out of Eden...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1pA8e5Wqko

10-31-2009, 02:09 PM
Koala - I feel pretty much the same way - there are no songs on the album that I don't like - all of 'em are good. However, I do remember there was some disagreement among the band members (primarily Don and Glenn) about whether the CD should be released as one or two discs. I can see very strong arguments for both sides. Don wanted to release the CD as one disc, which would contain 10 - 12 very strong songs, hoping it would be perceived as a great album with no weaknesses. Glenn's view was that they had 20 really good songs ready to release that offer a great variety of music, so he wanted to release it as two discs - as he put it "we gave you everything on this album but health insurance". Ultimately, I'm glad it was released as two discs - just gives us more to love. However, when the album was first released, we had a thread talking about what songs we would include if the album had been released as one disc. I looked back on my list that I posted at the time, and found that I have changed my mind quite a bit. So here is what my album would look like today if it had been released as one disc ...

1. No More Walks In the Wood
2. How Long
3. Waiting In the Weeds
4. Last Good Time In Town
5. What Do I Do With My Heart
6. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
7. Long Road Out of Eden
8. I Dreamed There Was No War
9. Somebody
10. Do Something
11. Business As Usual
12. You Are Not Alone

Prettymaid
11-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Very interesting Dreamer.

I never seem to have enough time to do these threads justice. Very quickly all I can say is that my favorites and least favorites have not changed. My favorite is still How Long. I love the upbeat tempo and the unmistakable Eagles sound. My least favorites are Fast Company and Frail Grasp. However, that being said, I love the fact that the Eagles can change it up so much. A very versatile album.

Happy Anniversary Long Road Out Of Eden!

Freypower
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
If I could only include 12 songs:

How Long
What Do I Do With My Heart
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Cloudy Days
Do Something
You Are Not Alone
Long Road Out Of EDden
Somebody
Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
Last Good Time In Town
Business As Usual

but I hate to lose It's Your World Now.

eaglesvet
11-01-2009, 05:45 PM
I thought I would try to put together some of my thoughts from when the album came out and augment them with things that have changed. I'm gonna segment this because there's so much to say!

I still remember that excitement beyond belief when I held the album in my hands... the one that I thought would never happen, the one I was afraid to hope for. Even after hearing it on preview, there was just something about having it in my possession that made it REAL. The Eagles are so amazing for putting out new music after all this time when so many of their peers rest on their laurels.

THE EAGLES ROCK.

No More Walks in the Wood - I love the beautiful harmonies that this piece is obviously designed to feature. The individual voices come through loud and clear, each adding its own texture. Melodically, it's not very interesting, but the melody isn't what's important here, it's the vocal. The reason the melody isn't my favorite is that it reminds me of some of the doxology-type songs we would sing in church, where we would try to make Bible verses that weren't intended to be sung into songs and it got a bit awkward with the melody.Ideally, the melody would have a more satisfying structure that sounds more cohesive and less meandering. For an example of the ideal, see "Seven Bridges Road." That has a terrific melody that doesn't detract from the vocals in any way.

How Long - So much fun! This one makes me smile every time I hear it, despite the unpleasant opening image of a dissected bluebird. :wink: This song has always been great, and the guys do it justice now just as they did over 30 years ago. It seems so "right"!

Busy Being Fabulous So, so catchy. I love it. It gets stuck in your head, and ever since, I've sometimes used the phrase as a joke - "I wonder if Stevie Nicks is busy being fabulous tonight?" lol I think they were right to choose this as the second single. It's got that "hook" that even catches the casual listener. This also has a bit of a country flavor to it. It's got a pleasant melody and the "uh-huh" is a nice touch.

What Do I Do With My Heart My favorite on the album, right up there with Waiting in the Weeds! Magnificent vocals, strong melody, effective song structure. Glenn nails that love-lorn vocal, rich yet vulnerable. Bringing Don in at the end for that back-and-forth just takes it to the next level and emphasizes it's an Eagles song. The bridge is unexpectedly different, and it's terrific. The power of Glenn's vocal from the bridge to the end is what really sells it for me, though. He make you feel it. That's what has always drawn me to his music, and he's done it again here.

More later!
Soda...I thought you were reading my mind when you wrote these...well, all except the part about NMWIW...the church melody analogy never crossed my mind :hilarious:! I just take it as great on its harmonious vocals alone! But I too have often wondered why the bluebird had to be sacrificed in "How Long"...what's the point of that image?? And, I also had adopted "busy being fabulous" fairly early on as a catch phrase in my own conversations, though I doubt most of the folks I'm speaking to get the drift, since they're non-Borderers (usually). And what you said about WDIDWMH--my feelings exactly as to why that song strikes a chord in my heart...that last verse is just awesome!! Right on!! And write on!! :computer:

sodascouts
11-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Thanks EV! My next segment:

Guilty of the Crime Not my favorite, but still good. I've heard this one before courtesy of the Robocop Soundtrack, and I've always thought it was fun. I really like the piano parts in it, which gives it a different kind of feel than just straight up guitar rock song. Joe's vocal is so exuberant and this is a song I like more every time I hear it.

I Don't Want to Hear Any More A pleasant melody and a smooth vocal. Its strength is the chorus, I think, which is catchy. I know I'm in the minority, but I actually like this song just as well as Do Something. While at first it didn't make a huge impression, this is another song that I like better every time I hear it. I find it very melodic and easy to listen to.

Waiting in the Weeds Like pretty much everyone else, I absolutely adore this song. As I stated before, it's tied for my favorite with What Do I Do with My Heart. I love the lyrics, the images, the structure, the way Don's voice goes up and gets more passionate on that verse about "flavor of the week", the shift from the bridge back to the verse - all of it. It's magnificent. I think it's Henley's best work since The End of the Innocence. Gorgeous melody, evocative vocal - this could have been sing-songy, but instead it's a natural progression. That part about the county fair, the ferris wheel, and the flavor of the week is some of the best lyrical wordplay I've heard in a long time, and the fact that it's then that Henley takes it up a notch just emphasizes that. What inspired arrangement! The bit about spiders rebuilding their webs is another original and intelligent lyrical contribution. This is the kind of song that makes you appreciate just how talented Henley is. Beautiful - absolutely beautiful. I think it's brilliant - lyrically, musically - I like everything about it. I find it FLAWLESS. How rare is that?! Amazing.

I also love the way the lyrics keep rolling into one another: "the seasons are slowly changing... you and though you're with somebody else" I personally think it's to achieve the effect of the endless cycle. Just when you think the thought is ended, it continues to the next line, both echoing the line melodically and thematically but building upon it as well... and so on, and so on. Even when you have breaks, key changes, and melodic shifts, the images echo each other. It's amazing to me that this has so much repetition musically and yet, listening to it, it doesn't sound repetitive at all. That is such an achievement and attests to the power of the lyrics.

No More Cloudy Days - I’ve loved this ever since Farewell 1. Absolutely beautiful. Our first indication that Glenn’s still got it not only as a vocalist but as a songwriter. I love the way he sings “I know a place where we can go...” and just the romance of the entirety of the song. “I believe in angels too...” The whole song just fills me with warmth, and I love listening to it.

TimothyBFan
11-02-2009, 07:56 AM
I remember feeling about the same way that Soda described about holding it in my hands. I couldn't believe it was actually here. I also had preordered it from Amazon (the good old days when it was guaranteed in your hands day of release!) and I remember going to the post office to pick it up and couldn't even wait till I got into the car to start opening it. I remember just staring at it for the longest time before I even opened the gatefold. It was a moment that most Eagles fans really didn't think would ever happen again--a new cd release of not just 10-12 songs but 20! Wow!

My favorites really haven't changed much from 2 years ago. I know most will disagree with a couple of them here like FC & Frail Grasp, but I love them. Have been and always will be faves...

How Long
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Walks In The Wood
Do Something
Fast Company
Guilty Of The Crime
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Last Good Time In Town
Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture

I will add to my list Somebody, that I didn't really appreciate till I saw it live and then I couldn't believe I hadn't caught onto that one earlier. I also have a whole new appreciatation for Long Road Out Of Eden after seeing it live but I will admit, I still skip over it more than listen to it on the album.

Brooke
11-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it was nearly an out of body experience when we finally got a new cd from the Eagles! lol

1. Waiting in the Weeds
2. Somebody
3. How Long
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. Center of the Universe
7. Busy Being Fabulous
8. What Do I Do
9. No More Walks
10. Do Something
11. Business As Usual
12. Guilty

I made my list and then went back to see what I had down before. Funny, very similar nearly 2 years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooke
My picks, in no particular order are:

1. No More Walks in the Wood
2. How Long
3. Busy Being Fabulous
4. Waiting in the Weeds
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. Long Road Out of Eden
7. Somebody
8. Business as Usual
9. Center of the Universe
10.Last Good Time in Town
11.You Are Not Alone
I'm sticking with my original list except for LGTIT. I just like GOTC better. I do have an order in how much I like the songs now though and here that is:

1. Waiting In The Weeds
2. Somebody
3. How Long
4. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Busy Being Fabulous
7. No More Walks In the Woods
8. No More Cloudy Days
9. You Are Not Alone
10.Business As Usual
11.Guilty of the Crime

Edited to add:
12.Do Something

sodascouts
11-02-2009, 04:32 PM
With the 10-minute running time of Long Road Out of Eden, I think 12 songs might not even fit on any disc that includes it! Part of the reason they went double, I think - to accommodate such a long song.

My 12 would be:

1. How Long
2. Busy Being Fabulous
3. What Do I Do with My Heart
4. Waiting in the Weeds
5. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
6. Guilty of the Crime
7. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
8. Somebody
9. Business As Usual
10. You Are Not Alone
11. No More Cloudy Days
12. Center of the Universe

Here is my list from the old thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=730):

If I were to make it a single disc, I would include...

1 How Long
2 Busy Being Fabulous
3 What Do I Do With My Heart
4 Waiting in the Weeds
5 Do Something
6 You Are Not Alone
7 I Dreamed There Was No War
8 Somebody
9 Last Good Time in Town
10 I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
11 Business As Usual
12 Center of the Universe

The only reason I don't include NMCD is because we've heard it on Farewell 1 - otherwise it totally would have been on there!

Pretty much no change at all, except for the the Joe and Tim tracks. I think I included them on my original list because they were written by Eagles whereas the other songs are covers.

sodascouts
11-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Another video I made off of the album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5yxXj1bhJM

Maleah
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Wooow....remembering back to the day that it came out eh? I remember I was freaking out! Everybody at Walmart was sick of me asking "Did they come yet? Did they come yet? Are they here?" I was constantly going into our backroom to see if the trucks had arrived, eagerly ripping open each box to see if it was them! I remember proudly assembling a display to put the cd's on with F1 playing on the tv's in the background. I remember making a sign about how long it had been since they had released a studio album and I remember a customer coming up to my manager and saying that it was wrong and my manager saying "no, trust me...it's not. Maleah made it and you won't find a bigger fan than her." :hilarious: I remember buying 4 copies....er.....you know....for gifts and all. ;) I was highly disappointed that we never got the carboard standups that were talked about because I had already called dibs on all of them. :nahnah: Ah yes....the memories of having to refill our display at least 4 times a day because they flew out of there so fast.

And that's just leading up to everything and finally getting them in stock! THEN there's the excitement of ripping all the packaging off of my copy and placing it in the cd player for the first time. I listened through each song with a big stupid grin on my face. My sister called as I was sitting in my car in the parking lot and I said "not now....I'm listening to it." Yes...I didn't even have to expand on what "it" was......I'm sure she just rolled her eyes and ended the call because I'd been talking about it for months!

I love every song on the cd, with the exception of a couple. Some of my favorite Eagles songs EVER are on here! My favorite by far is Waiting in the Weeds....I don't think you could find a better written song!

If I had to narrow it down to 12 for a single disc...it would be:

1. Waiting in the Weeds
2. How Long
3. Long Road Out of Eden
4. What Do I Do With My Heart
5. Center of the Universe
6. Somebody
7. Guilty of the Crime
8. Busy Being Fabulous
9. No More Cloudy Days
10. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
11. No More Walks In The Woods
12. You Are Not Alone

I think I'd have to add "You Are Not Alone" on there as a bonus track ;)
I can see why they made it a 2 cd set though because I have a hard time eliminating a lot of them! :(

Prettymaid
11-02-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't like doing lists. :ack: They're so exclusive.

Anyway, here's mine. :wink:

How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
Long Road Out Of Eden
No More Cloudy Days
Do Something
Waiting In The Weeds
Somebody
Last Good Time In Town
You Are Not Alone

Peekaboo
11-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I've enjoyed reading about everyone's favorites, seeing their lists and all. I'm not very good at breaking down each song but if I get the chance this week i'll try to it at least make a list. I have my favorites from LROOE too but I tend to get stuck on one particular song that I listen to over and over for a few days. The last few days I was stuck on Somebody and since this morning i've been stuck on LROOE. It's such a great song that I don't even realize that it's 10 minutes long. There's so much going on it...the lyrics, Don's great vocals, the kick ass guitar solo, the intro is great too. I have a tendency to rewind back to about 5:19 when Don sings "I'd give anything to be there in your arms tonight" **SIGH** and I absolutely LOVE Joe's guitar work that follows that line. I always drift back to when I first saw this song live with my very eyes and Joe was right there in front of me just tearing it up on that solo.

I don't remember if I ordered my copy through amazon or through the Eagles website but I do remember that I didn't get my copy in the mail till a week after it came out. I got so impatient that I went to WalMart after 3 days and bought a copy. I also remember that before the release date there was a website that had previews of every song. I refused to listen to the previews because I wanted to wait for my copy to hear the entire songs from start to finish. I may have gotten a bit impatient but it was all well worth the wait.

GlennLover
11-02-2009, 08:45 PM
Same thing happened to me Peek, although my Hubby was the one who took pity on me & went to Walmart to buy it for me as a surprise. When he gave it to me he said "I hope I'm not going to regret this...". LOL

I had ordered it from the Eagles website but it took an extra 2 weeks to get to me in Canada. :-( I never would have been able to last that long!

I tried not to listen to the clips on that website but I'm afraid that my anticipation got the better of me & I caved.

11-02-2009, 10:40 PM
Well - it is interesting to read everyone's list and see how different songs appeal to each of us. I guess that's reason enough that we should all be grateful that the guys decided to go with 2 discs after all.

I also remember the excitement of getting the CD in my hand. Even though I had listened to all of the songs on the internet, it's not the same as getting the CD. Like many of you, I pre-ordered off of both the Walmart site and the band's official site, and didn't receive either on the release date. After the mail delivery came that day and they weren't there, I headed over to Walmart to get a copy because I didn't want to wait. I was glad I did because it took several days before I received either pre-order. (BTW - that's the last time I ever pre-ordered anything). So after they arrived, I then had 3 copies - right. Well actually - no. See after the first week or so, they then released the deluxe version of he CD. Of course, some wonderful Borderers posted all the pictures here that were in the booklet, but that wasn't good enough. I, of course, wanted my own deluxe version, so off to Walmart I went again. So, I was now the proud owner of 4 LROOE CD's. But not to worry - I gave 2 of them away as gifts, leaving me with only my original copy and the deluxe copy. It actually works out beautifully because I keep my original copy with my Eagles box set.

GlennLover
11-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I never saw the Deluxe Version at Walmart here. I don't think that it was made available in Canada.

Freypower
11-02-2009, 11:19 PM
My original Top 12:

1. How Long
2. What Do I Do With My Heart
3. Waiting In The Weeds
4. Do Something
5. You Are Not Alone
6. Long Road Out Of Eden
7. Somebody
8. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
9. Last Good Time In Town
10. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
11. Centre Of The Universe
12. It's Your World Now

Freypower
11-02-2009, 11:21 PM
How Long
Waiting In The Weeds
No More Walks In The Wood
Do Something
Fast Company
Guilty Of The Crime
I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
Last Good Time In Town
Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture

I will add to my list Somebody, that I didn't really appreciate till I saw it live and then I couldn't believe I hadn't caught onto that one earlier. I also have a whole new appreciatation for Long Road Out Of Eden after seeing it live but I will admit, I still skip over it more than listen to it on the album.

Willie, I am glad you like Somebody, because other than that the only one of your favourite songs where Glenn sings lead is How Long. Just an observation.

Koala
11-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Here are my 12 songs for one disc:

Waiting In The Weeds
Somebody
Last Good Time In Town
Long Road Out of Eden
How Long
Do Something
No More Walks In The Woods
Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
No More Cloudy Days
Guilty of the Crime
Busy Being Fabulous

11-03-2009, 12:21 PM
GL - I thought the deluxe edition of LROOE was made available in Canada, but I could be misremembering. In any event, if you are interested in it, you can probably still get it on Amazon. It is a good thing to have if you are a collector of such stuff. The accompanying booklet is very nice, and I don't think it cost more than a couple dollars more than the 'undeluxe' version.

Another thought I had about the band releasing LROOE as one disc - just looking at how much disagreement there is among us fans with our lists, can you imagine how the band would have been able to agree on which songs made the cut??? It might have gotten ugly!!! :laugh:

GlennLover
11-03-2009, 05:56 PM
Another thought I had about the band releasing LROOE as one disc - just looking at how much disagreement there is among us fans with our lists, can you imagine how the band would have been able to agree on which songs made the cut??? It might have gotten ugly!!! :laugh:

When I remember Don's comments from some of the interviews at the time, it sounds like it almost did, LOL!

Thanks for the info, Dreamer! I checked their website store & it's only available for download. I may try to get it on Amazon. If there is even one more picture in it that wasn't on the regular version it's worth it :hilarious:! Do you think I may be a bit of an Eagles fan ;-)?

Freypower
11-03-2009, 08:11 PM
For me, and this is entirely personal, the strength of the double album is that we finally got away from the situation that occurred on the last 3 70s Eagles albums where Glenn sang either one or one and a half songs. He seems to have finally decided that it was time for him to regain his position as being co-lead singer on the band. I don't know what would have happened if he had agreed with Don that it should only have been a single album. I suspect that again, he would have dropped most of his songs and kept Don's. As it is, at least we have these songs on an album because he doesn't seem to want to play most of them live (although he did play a couple in solo shows).

sodascouts
11-03-2009, 11:19 PM
OK, next part of my review:

Fast Company- Very retro with its falsetto – and not in a good way. I hate falsetto; it can occasionally work in very small doses but when it’s throughout – no. It does have a good beat and the harmonies work. You can hear Glenn very well in the chorus. I think the line "Fast company... you're going nowhere fast" is very catchy. I’m not impressed with much else.

Do Something- Gorgeous. Tim's vocals are terrific, lovely melody, and I like the country-fied arrangement. Brining Don in on the end again emphasizes the Eagles-ness of it (I LOVE shared lead vocals – so few bands can pull that off). Easy on the ears, that's for sure!

You Are Not Alone From the moment I heard this way back in 2007 at Niagara Falls, it struck me. The music, like the lyrics, is straightforward and comforting, and they complement each other perfectly. I don't know what it is about the arrangement and chording that makes them work so well with the emotion of the song - I just know they do. Like No More Cloudy days, the song makes you feel all warm inside, even before he starts singing. Glenn is very good at evoking that kind of emotion. The only thing I would change is less "do-do-do-do-do" at the end, but otherwise I love it.

Long Road Out of Eden This is a song that has really grown on me. At first, I was “eh” about it. I thought it was overdone almost to the point of self-indulgence and could have used some trimming. I still think it has a lot of weaknesses - the Middle Eastern instrumental bits go on way too long. Yes, I know it's done for effect, but we could have gotten the effect in a lot less time! I mean it goes on for over a minute at the beginning! Once we get into the song, it's not so bad. The verse has an interesting progressive, almost trudging melody, but I think that fits the mood of the song. I like the way they sing the title line, I love the way Henley sings "I'd give anything to be there in your arms tonight," and I love the guitar solo - in fact, the guitar solo almost seems too good for this song in the sense that a guitar solo of that quality shouldn't go into a Middle Eastern music solo, which drains it of all its energy, and then further down to Henley's plodding final verse. It almost feels like a chastisement - "You were starting to enjoy this song? To think it rocked? Don't forget it's serious and political! To remind you, here's a boring middle eastern interlude." It totally kills the song. The only thing that saved it for me was the guitar, really.

HOWEVER, once I saw it live with those vivid backgrounds, the cinematic / epic nature of it hit me full force. Now I listen to it when new appreciation.

I Dreamed There Was No War I am so impressed by the eloquence and expressiveness of this piece, simply because it always amazes me how a talented musician can make an instrumental "speak." Its poignant, mournful beauty evokes both hope and sadness, dream and disappointment, in a way that I find very moving. And all in a little over a minute. I adore this song!

sodascouts
11-03-2009, 11:21 PM
And another video I made:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS-JWovfAug

Prettymaid
11-04-2009, 08:59 AM
Long Road Out of Eden ... and I love the guitar solo - in fact, the guitar solo almost seems too good for this song in the sense that a guitar solo of that quality shouldn't go into a Middle Eastern music solo, which drains it of all its energy, and then further down to Henley's plodding final verse. It almost feels like a chastisement - "You were starting to enjoy this song? To think it rocked? Don't forget it's serious and political! To remind you, here's a boring middle eastern interlude." It totally kills the song. The only thing that saved it for me was the guitar, really.

:rofl:Soda this is priceless! I never actually thought of it that way but now that you mention it...

chaim
11-04-2009, 04:10 PM
In a way this album reminds me of "On the border", because there's so many songs written by other people. I'm kind of glad still that it was a double album, because we got more Eagles music. In the history books of the future the album probably might have looked better if it had been a really cohesive single album, but at the moment when I can just enjoy the music, without looking at it from a distance as a "piece from a certain era", I like it this way. There are one or two songs I wish they'de left off; "Guilty of the crime". I mean, I can take a song I'm not that fond of, if it at least is an original. But having a cover I don't enjoy, is a bit of a bore. "What to I do with my heart" is funny, because Glenn says he won't stand in the woman's way, but for the rest of the song keeps crying her back. Seems more like a Randy Newman idea. :grin: I would have liked to hear this song with a real piano, and with a more 70's production, but as a composition it's fine.
I really enjoy "No more walks..." (Timeless. Musically, just by hearing it there's no way of knowing if this was written in the 60's or in 2010), "Waiting in the weeds" (aaaaaaahhh!!!), "Long road out of Eden" (gotta love those Henley/Frey harmonies, and the strong chords after the second "chorus"), "Fail grasp..." (this one has energy), "Last good time..." (especially in the context of the album, because it's so different from the rest), "You are not alone" (tears the heart apart) , "No more cloudy days" (except for the sax solo, and a bit too pie in the sky chorus lyric), "Do something" (except for the observations about all the news being bad in the paper). "Fast company" I like very much also, although it does bother me that it shares a pretty identical chorus with "Frail grasp...". I actually find the falsetto amusing. I find it a bit of a parody of a youthful, "cool"/"Hey, I know what's happening" king of thing. It always makes me smile. "Busy being fabulous" I understand if Don is also talking to himself, and not just to somebody else. Musically it doesn't grab me.
Some stream of conscience stuff about the album. Haven't listened to it for a while. Gotta give it a go tonight...

Freypower
11-04-2009, 06:24 PM
Soda, regarding your oriignal dislike of the 'Middle Eastern' parts of the title track, to me it was a huge quantum leap for this band to record something that wasn't all chiming guitars and harmonies. After all, the song is (in part) about what American influence has done to that part of the world. You say the song is 'drained of all its energy' at that point but it is the contrast between American hi-tech and more 'simple' Middle Eastern sounds which makes it work so well. It was a risk for them to do this because I guess many people have had the same reaction to it as you have. I also disagree with you about the final verse, which is the climax and high point of the song because it sums it all up, 'serious' or not. But as you say, it seems to have grown on you.

Regarding Chaim's comment about the sax in NMCD, I tend to agree with this now. Glenn's obsession with sax meant that he insisted on using it in a song which didn't need it, although it's pleasant enough.

And the comment about Fast Company & Frail Grasp having similar choruses - they certainly do, but FG is a far superior song. I don't hear Glenn nearly as prominently in FC as others do, something which bothers me as I love the man's voice so much.

I am playing the album in the car and I must say that I'm finally developing an affection for Guilty of the Crime, a song which left me cold for two years. Perhaps I will have the same reaction to IDWTHAM, my least favourite track.

The song which hasn't aged well for me is Busy Being Fabulous. It just plods along and doesn't really go anywhere (I know a lot of people love the song).

chaim
11-04-2009, 06:51 PM
Glenn's obsession with sax meant that he insisted on using it in a song which didn't need it, although it's pleasant enough.

Exactly what I meant. I've nothing against saxophone, but it's so out of place in this song.

GlennLover
11-04-2009, 09:08 PM
I agree. I don't think that the sax adds anything to the song. I find that it detracts from it. That being said, I still love the song.

sodascouts
11-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Somebody (aka All Those Lies part 2! lol) This one has grown on me to the degree that I now think it’s great. At first, I was completely put off by the "creepy" voices Glenn does in parts of the song. However, those don't dominate the song, and after I got over those, I began to appreciate it. It has a good beat and the bass line propels the song with an urgency that matches the "trapped" desperation of the lyrics, rushing towards inevitable doom as the lead guitar wails its minor chords.

Frail Grasp on the Big Picture I can't stand this song, I'm sorry to say. It's basically Henley preaching with a meadering and repetitive backing track. It's like they wrote off the melody as unimportant next to his "message" lyrics. The title line sounds like a "Fast Company" rip off. Sorry, the difference between a song and a sermon is musicality, which this is sadly lacking. In fact Henley's voice sounds downright unpleasant in parts, like he's smirking as he's singing, and as he goes on and on and on and on it just becomes tiresome. The only good lines: "Who left the cap off the freaking toothpaste? Whose turn to take the garbage out?" That made me laugh. The rest of made me roll my eyes. (BTW - Henley - if you're going to have a message song, ENUNCIATE CLEARLY. There are several lines where I can't even figure out what the words are.) The use of organ music during the criticism of religion could not be more trite.

I admit the condescending nature of the song turns me off as well. It seems there might be worthier targets of Henley's "most acerbic lyrics" than fathers praying for their sons to play unhurt at a football game.

I will say that there are a couple good moments in the song. I like the way Don sings "journalism's dead and gone"; I like the instrumental interludes as; I like that line about the toothpaste like I said above. The song does pick up a bit of energy at the end before it becomes repetitive. Otherwise.... blech!

Last Good Time in Town It starts off pretty good, kind of funky, and then comes to a screeching halt with the "Lately I've been stayin' at home" / Glenn's whispering echoes (These echoes annoy me. I don't care if it's Glenn, they're annoying!) Then the song goes into that terrific chorus and all is well again. Basically, I like everything about the song except those bits, so it's enjoyable overall. In fact I’ve had that chorus starting "And I dream I'm on vacation, 'cause I like the way that sounds..." stuck in my head many times.

I Love to Watch a Woman Dance Some people have said this seems out of place on the album, and while I see what they mean, it's so gorgeous that I think we should overlook that. Again, more than anything else, the expressiveness of Glenn's voice makes this work for me. So romantic. Some have called it “creepy” but I don’t see that. It would be creepy if she didn't want to dance with him, but she does, so it moves beyond observation to participation. It reminds me thematically a bit of "Lady in Red" by Chris DeBurgh, where he starts out talking about how good the woman looks and how many men want her, then later winds up dancing with her himself. The part I like best is the slow-dancing part. What a visual! So sexy. This song is especially hot live.

I think that the main reason this song sounds out of place is because we're not used to such romantic songs from the Eagles. When I hear this song, I think of Glenn and only Glenn, not the Eagles. Perhaps that's a drawback in the sense that this is an Eagles album, but I still think the song is strong and affecting. The impassioned vocal is what makes this song.

Business As Usual This song is what Frail Grasp should have been - a song with both a message and a melody. I love that "soul-suckin'" part. It really energizes the song and keeps it from the repetitive monotony of Frail Grasp, as do the prominent guitar parts throughout the song. The dramatic rhythmic build-up to a full stop before "Business as Usual" is effective, too. Once again we run into message-song-without-clear-enunciation in parts, unfortunately, but otherwise I think it's a good song. For me the song really starts working with the "I thought that I would be above it all by now..." the melody picks up, and then the building rhythm to the full stop - that's so effective. The chorus is actually catchy to me and I like the "woah-woah"s. The inclusion of the "prettiest White House" works because the workings of politics, as I said before, are "business as usual" no matter where you turn. It's a progression from the personal to the global. I think the only weakness to the song is that it does get off to a slow start and the ending could be a bit more powerful, as it just kind of peters out. But otherwise I really like it.

Center of the Universe A nice, mellow, pleasant song. Excellent harmonies, of course. The melody isn't the most interesting in the world; I love the "Oh, love..." parts but the first part of the verse and the title lines don't really strike me. Still, as I said before, it's pleasant enough. The instrumental parts are nice.

It's Your World Now I wasn't expecting such a Spanish-style song to be on the album, much less be the closer, but I like it. It doesn't stray much from that Spanish-style formula for the melody, but I do appreciate the significance of the lyrics and the sincerity of the vocal. I love the way he sings "I'd do it all again if I could, somehow." It's another good song that's not the best on the album, but is still strong. (BTW - does anyone else think that "no tears allowed" is a deliberate lyrical oppositional reference to 'No Fun Aloud'?) It's Your World Now forces issues of finality and mortality that most of us would rather not think about. One time I was listening to the album while posting some older photos of the Eagles and that song came on... it made me kind of "verklempt” thinking of the past, the present, and the inevitable ending in the future. But even when these guys are gone, the music will live on. They have literally changed the world forever, and will leave a lasting legacy. How good must that feel!

sodascouts
11-04-2009, 09:31 PM
More videos I made (I'll stop soon! lol)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycnQqGBkbvc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTppU_CQLUw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgreaf4wZWA

EagleLady
11-04-2009, 09:43 PM
Hmm, I like Frail Grasp on the Big Picture.

Freypower
11-04-2009, 10:17 PM
Soda, you have made that 'no tears allowed/No Fun Aloud' comparison before. I think you're drawing a long bow and that this is pure coincidence, though I admit it is POSSIBLE.

Re Frail Grasp: I know I'll never convince you, but I don't find it 'repetitive'. Listen to the guitar work and the way the backing vocals vary around the song - also, I understand why you find the orgain part 'trite', but I think it's very appropriate. I also don't believe Henley isn't enunciating clearly. I think the 'sermon' comparison is more appropriate for some of Henley's solo work like Building The Perfect Beast, Shangri-La and The Genie (a song which I cannot remember anything of except the title line).

Maleah
11-05-2009, 02:01 AM
As you know Soda, I TOTALLY agree with you on Frail Grasp. It comes across as completely condescending/mocking to me. In fact, after the initial run through listening to the entire song....I haven't listened to it again since. It is by FAR my least favorite on the cd. I know it's compared to Fast Company a lot and most people prefer it to that......but I would (and do lol) listen to FC any day of the week over this one.

'Course...then again I'm also in the minority who happens to really like Fast Company. ;) LOL I don't mind the falsetto at all, in fact I quite like it on this particular song. It's something different and catchy, imo. Oddly enough when we got the 3 song preview at Walmart (this along with Do Something and No More Cloudy Days) this was the one that everyone kept playing and talking about.

As far as the Long Road Out Of Eden (the song) discussion......again I agree Soda that the intro is much too long. I'm fine with the middle eastern music and like the fact that it adds a little eeriness and moodiness to the song.....but over a minute of it is waaaaaay too long and gets boring fast. I don't, however, mind it later in the song. For some reason it just brings up an image later on of literally being over there at night looking up at the stars.....like I said....kind of adds that eery feeling to the song. That guitar solo is absolutely amazing and one of my favorites that I've ever heard on ANY song by ANY artist. Gives me goosebumps live when Don sings that "in your arms tonight" part and then Joe starts.

I do like "Center of the Universe" QUITE a bit more than most do though! Beautiful song, beautiful lyrics, beautiful vocals and harmonies!

chaim
11-05-2009, 04:36 AM
As for the organ part...I have to disagree. I've never seen it as criticising religion, but criticising how easily mankind drags God into everything, and therefore really cheapens the REAL "concept" of God. I mean, "my car just started; there must be a God after all", "My favourite driver won the race, God answered my prayers", "I got a second chance to make millions, my prayers were answered" (the real words of the religious Peter Criss, who had been invited to the reunion of the original KISS), "God is on our side when we are going to bomb those *****s". Because the organ part makes the section sound more "holy", to me it makes Don's words there even more hollow. And that's his intention. It's almost in the Randy Newman department. Like Freypower, I think that the organ is appropriate here.
"What God wants" by Roger Waters has the same theme as this section of "Fail grasp".

TimothyBFan
11-05-2009, 09:18 AM
)
'Course...then again I'm also in the minority who happens to really like Fast Company. ;) LOL I don't mind the falsetto at all, in fact I quite like it on this particular song. It's something different and catchy, imo. Oddly enough when we got the 3 song preview at Walmart (this along with Do Something and No More Cloudy Days) this was the one that everyone kept playing and talking about.

Amen!!!! I totally agree (even tho I think you need to lose the current avi!:hilarious:)--FUN and DIFFERENT!!! Love it!

Frail Grasp--I don't get the hate on it! Love the music and LOVE the lyrics!! Maybe because I'm older and more cynical? I really get it! Now something I've seen others do and I've always wanted to try :), I will pick it a part a bit and put my spin on it....

Well, ain't it a shame
'Bout our short little memory
We never seem to learn
The lessons of history
We keep makin' the same mistakes
Over and over and over and over again
And then we wonder why
We're in the shape we're in

Amen! Self explanatory here. Just look at the politics of this nation-different politicians but same problems and mistakes being made decade after decade.

Good ol' boys down at the bar
Peanuts and politics
They think they know it all
They don't know much of nothin'
Even if one of 'em was to read the newspaper
Cover to cover
That ain't what's going on
Journalism dead and gone

I know I've sure met these "good ol' boys" that think they know it all, rather they are setting in a bar, bus station, supermarket, etc...--we call it talking out their *ss. And as far as Journalism being dead & gone, just watch Fox News channel or E entertainment or read the National Enquirer or whatever and tell me that the majority of Journalism hasn't lost what it's really suppose to be about. True and balanced-yeah, right!

You my love-drunk friend
All that red wine and candlelight
Soulful conversations
That go on until the dawn
How many times can you tell your story?
How many hangovers can you endure
Just to get some snogging done?
You're living in a hormone dream
You don't have the slightest notion
What long-term love is all about
All your romantic liasons
Don't deal with eternal questions like
Who left the cap off the freaking toothpaste?
Whose turn to take the garbage out?

Which of us haven't been a little starry eyed at the beginning of a relationship only to find out later, once the newness has ceased, that it wasn't what we thought it was. I especially love the "You're living in a hormone dream"---young lust. And love the fact he uses the word "snogging"! :hilarious:
And we pray to our Lord
Who we know is American
He reigns from on high
He speaks to us through middlemen
And He shepherds His flock
We sing out and we praise His name
He supports us in war
He presides over football games
And the right will prevail
All our troubles shall be resolved
We hold faith above all
Unless there's money or sex involved

At the risk of being called unChristianlike, I'm sure we've seen people like this. I've always been one that thinks prayer can work but God really doesn't have time to make sure Notre Dame wins that football game this Saturday or I get an A on this exam. As far as God being an American & supporting us in war... I'm sure the underlying (or maybe obvious to most) meaning here is something everyone can figure out. How dare we push/force our thoughts and beliefs down other countries throats. Maybe they don't want to live like we do. I consider myself spiritual but not religious and one of the main reasons is because of the last 2 lines in this verse. I will gladly explain myself if anyone feels I need to but I don't want to get on my soapbox.

I'm sorry if I seem I might be taking this whole song way to seriously or if I have disillusioned anyone about myself but I really really get this song! As much as I disagree with some of the stuff Don Henley does, I almost always agree with some of his (and Glenn's) cynical lyrics to songs like this or Dirty Laundry or Get Over It or several others.

GlennLover
11-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Chaim & TBF, I think you're both right on with your interpretations of Frail Grasp. In the "Gold" interview where the Eagles talk about the individual songs on LROOE, Don says pretty much the same thing as you do about the meaning of the "And we pray to our Lord" verse. I think that Don very cleverly gets his message across in this song. I enjoy it.

Listen to the clip here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/interviews/CapitalGold2007/CG2007Part4-2.mp3

Soda has posted the entire interview here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm

I first listened to this program in 2007 when LROOE came out. I found it interesting to go back & listen to it two years later after the album has become so familiar to me.

chaim
11-05-2009, 12:18 PM
Chaim & TBF, I think you're both right on with your interpretations of Frail Grasp. In the "Gold" interview where the Eagles talk about the individual songs on LROOE, Don says pretty much the same thing as you do about the meaning of the "And we pray to our Lord" verse. I think that Don very cleverly gets his message across in this song. I enjoy it.

Listen to the clip here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/interviews/CapitalGold2007/CG2007Part4-2.mp3

Soda has posted the entire interview here: https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm

I first listened to this program in 2007 when LROOE came out. I found it interesting to go back & listen to it two years later after the album has become so familiar to me.

Thanks for the links!! I'm gonna listen to them immediately!

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 12:33 PM
I love reading all of these opinions and interpretations of the songs, even if they differ from mine. The Eagles sure give us a lot of fodder for discussion, don't they?

You know, I'm gonna do the same and see if I have any comments. Already in Part One (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/interviews/CapitalGold2007/CG2007Part1-1.mp3) I heard some interesting things:

Joe: "We all used to live in the same car..."

Joe, you are so full of it. :lol:

Tim: "From my point of view, it's always frustrating, especially when some of the issues between some of the guys sometimes gets so strained that you can't work. [...] The difference is it used to really, really bother me a lot when something came up [...] but now it doesn't. Now, I'm better at just... you know... it's kind of up to the gods. I can't do anything about it."

Sounds totally like the theme of his new song "I Don't Mind"!

Glenn: "Just after [Hell Freezes Over], we tried a couple of times to go in the studio, and it just wasn't happening. The good news was that we didn't freak out. I know enough now to just go, 'It's not the right time. When the time is right, maybe we'll make a record.''"

So glad they didn't "freak out" lol. It may have taken a while, but they finally got it together!

Don: [regarding finding "An Old-Fashioned Song", which is the poem that provided the lyrics to "No More Walks in the Wood"] "I was thumbing through the Oxford Dictionary of American Poetry..."

I LOVE that he did that. In some ways, he's a man after my own heart!

11-05-2009, 12:40 PM
Well, I'll continue using this scale below to rate the songs for all of the remaining albums as we celebrate their anniversaries. I don't have time to comment on the songs individually right now, but I will make a few comments about some things that have come up in this thread. First of all, I have to say that I like every song on this album including the ones at the bottom of my list. Regarding whether or not I Love To Watch a Woman Dance is a good fit on the album, I agree that it probably sounds like more of a Glenn solo song. And as Soda mentioned, another reason it may seem out of place may be because we are not used to hearing romantic Eagles songs. However, I still think it is a beautiful song that fits thematically with the rest of the album. To me, the album is about the guys all grown up now - including matters of the heart. I also agree with chaim's and TBF's interpretations of FGOTBP. My reason for just liking it, as opposed to loving it, has more to do with the melody than the lyrics. As far as Fast Company, I guess it's the falsetto that drops it down a notch for me, although I think the falsetto is pretty appropriate for the song. Overall, I think that the guys did themselves proud with this album. While I don't think some of it is their very best work, neither is any of it their weakest. So here is my rating of the songs in the order that I like them ...

1. How Long – 5
2. Waiting In the Weeds – 5
3. What Do I Do With My Heart – 5
4. Somebody – 5
5. Long Road Out of Eden – 5
6. You Are Not Alone – 5
7. I Dreamed There Was No War – 5
8. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance – 5

9. Do Something – 4
10. Last Good Time In Town – 4
11. Business As Usual – 4
12. No More Cloudy Days – 4
13. Guilty of the Crime – 4
14. Center of the Universe – 4
15. It’s Your World Now – 4
16. Busy Being Fabulous – 4

17. I Don’t Want To Hear Any More – 3
18. No More Walks In the Wood – 3
19. Frail Grasp On the Big Picture –3
20. Fast Company – 3

key:
5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 - yikes

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 12:51 PM
And of course the inspiration for the recording of "How Long":

How Long (Holland 1973)
Download .mpg (32 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/HowLongHolland73.mpg)
Download .wmv (8 megs) (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/HowLongHolland73.wmv)

Which became this...

How Long

Freypower
11-05-2009, 06:01 PM
I pretty much agree with everything TBF said about Frail Grasp. Some of us, believe or not, are not Christians.... and perhaps the song works better for me because of that. The only thing I don't like is the way he sings 'who we know is American'. He really should have belted that out but he seems to have decided to downplay it.

I've never ranked the tracks before but I'm going to do it now. I know this will be biased but I can't help that. It's important to me to have these particular songs.

1. Long Road Out Of Eden - 5
2. What Do I Do With My Heart - 5
3. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance - 5
4. Somebody - 5
5. No More Cloudy Days - 5
6. You Are Not Alone - 5
7. Waiting In The Weeds - 5
8. It's Your World Now - 5
9. How Long - 5
10. Business As Usual - 4
11. Do Something - 4
12. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture - 4
13. I Dreamed There Was No War - 4
14. No More Walks In The Wood - 4
15. Last Good Time In Town - 4
16. Centre Of The Universe - 4
17. Busy Being Fabulous - 3
18. Guilty Of The Crime - 3
19. Fast Company - 3
20. I Don't Want To Hear Any More - 3

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Some of us, believe or not, are not Christians....

Gee, really? I had no idea. Learn something new every day!

Freypower
11-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Soda, if I offended you with that comment that was not my intention. I apologise. Normally I would not have mentioned it.

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I wasn't offended, just a bit put off by what I perceived as a condescending remark. Probably shot off my post a bit too quick! Hopefully I didn't put a cork in the discussion, which I'm finding interesting (including the majority of your post, FP). And I must say I agree with a lot of your rankings. ;)

Prettymaid
11-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Tim: "From my point of view, it's always frustrating, especially when some of the issues between some of the guys sometimes gets so strained that you can't work. [...] The difference is it used to really, really bother me a lot when something came up [...] but now it doesn't. Now, I'm better at just... you know... it's kind of up to the gods. I can't do anything about it."

No Tim no! The gods don't care if your band can't get along! :wink:

BTW, I dislike Frail Grasp because of the melody.

Freypower
11-05-2009, 06:31 PM
Really, I did not mean to sound condescending. :worried: I normally stay far away from mention of religion because I seem to be in a minority of one. Sometimes it seems to me however, that assumptions are made that all people share certain beliefs, which is not the case.

To get back on track I think Soda finds the lyrics of FGOTBP condescending, because she thinks Don is also making assumptions about religious people. The point here though is not so much criticising religion as the way it is USED. The way it seems to be used as a prop. The way God is thanked from everything ranging from winning a football game to winning an award. The beliefs may be sincerely held but sometimes they just seem to be wheeled out as if it's just expected that it be done.

chaim
11-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Adding to my previous comment, I don't see Don mocking "religious" or "nonreligious" people. The way I see it, he raises two points; 1) the horror of seeing God as nothing more than a "supplier" who does whatever we ask from Him on any given day, 2) declaring God as an "approver" for anything that is done, although even the "declarer" doesn't believe for a minute that God has "OK'd" it (like justifying a "trip to Irak").
And people who might do these things might be religious or not. To me it has more to do with the way people may behave, than whether one is religious or not.
But I DO understand how some may find it offensive.

GlennLover
11-05-2009, 07:33 PM
Don did say in the Gold interview that it was the lyrics of that particular verse in Frail Grasp that he was "worried" about. He expected a "backlash", but he said "it's just a good-natured poke...people are entitled to believe in what they want to believe in." He says was writing about "the way religion is used for petty things". FP, your last post seems to echo what Don was saying in that interview.

luvthelighthouse
11-05-2009, 08:45 PM
I don't think I've listed,rated or commented this album yet... if I did, just goes to show, my memory is bad! So here's a few things...

My personal Five favorites:

How Long
Waiting in the Weeds
Do Something
No More Walks in the Woods
It's Your World Now

My least favorites (if I never heard again, I'd be okay w/that):

Fast Company
Business as Usual

Only liked after hearing live:

LROOE and Somebody

The rest of the CD falls into the, "it's good, it's the Eagles" category for me. I like most of the CD, but gravitate to certain songs at certain times.

As for Frail Grasp, I personally think Chaim hit the nail on the head, "To me it has more to do with the way people may behave, than whether one is religious or not." I couldn't agree more! I feel this song is really about personal behaviors. "pray to our Lord who we know is American" that is totally about the elitist American attitude. "faith in the Lord unless there is money or sex involved". Again, this plays to those who act holier than thou, until you mix in sex and money, then the rules change, or should I say lines tend to get jagged... It's like those weekly church goers who are swearing at you in the parking lot as you leave mass because they have somewhere more important to be. I honestly feel it's about hypocrisy and not religion at all. Just my opinion ...

Maleah
11-05-2009, 09:50 PM
To be honest, I "get" what Don was trying to do with the song. I just don't like the song. I don't like anything about it. lol Even if I didn't find the lyrics to be condescending, I still wouldn't like the melody or (shock shock) the way he sings it. lol It has nothing to do with being a Christian because, believe me, I know the assumptions that a lot of people have with that and I also know the impression that a lot of "christians" give off. lol I don't know....I can't really explain why the lyrics annoy me in a way that makes sense. I just don't like the impression that he gives off in the song. Oh well....I won't lose any sleep over it. :hilarious:

I don't really listen to Business as Usual much either, even though I think it's a much better song. Something about that one just doesn't beg me to listen to it over and over again either. lol Come to think of it.....the majority of the songs that I listen to all the time are on disc 1, with the exception of LROOE, Somebody, and Center of the Universe.

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 10:48 PM
To be honest, I "get" what Don was trying to do with the song. I just don't like the song. I don't like anything about it. lol Even if I didn't find the lyrics to be condescending, I still wouldn't like the melody or (shock shock) the way he sings it. lol It has nothing to do with being a Christian because, believe me, I know the assumptions that a lot of people have with that and I also know the impression that a lot of "christians" give off. lol I don't know....I can't really explain why the lyrics annoy me in a way that makes sense. I just don't like the impression that he gives off in the song. Oh well....I won't lose any sleep over it. :hilarious:

I think what bothers me about this song is the way Henley seems to look down on regular people. The way he mocks working class guys whom he considers to be unenlightened... the way he sneers at people who pray for things that he considers trivial... It's so freaking arrogant and condescending. "I'm so much better than the ignorant masses."

The Capitol Gold interview actually made me like the song even less because he reveals that the people he's mocking, the ones that pray at football games, are just regular folks hoping the game goes well.

"[In Texas] football is right up there next to God and Mom and the flag and apple pie. And there's always a prayer before the games. And sometimes the prayer asks... I mean, they used to come out and just ask outright for victory, but now they just sort of pray that nobody gets hurt, which is fine, but... you know, they ask the Lord to watch over this football game, as if the Lord has nothing else to do. As if the universe is so small that the Lord has time to watch football games."

Obviously Henley believes that HE knows what the Lord cares about, unlike those stupid suckers, eh? I love how he begrudgingly admits that nowadays the prayers are for kids not to get hurt!

That kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

luvthelighthouse
11-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Hmmm... I don't get that vibe of looking down at the working class at all. I guess it's just different view points we all see it from. Honestly, I kinda get what he's saying. I feel it's kinda odd to pray for a sporting event, even though I, myself, have done it. I mean, w/a world at war, does God really car if my kid makes a goal on her birthday? I dunno? (hand gesture of scale tipping) Keeping soldier safe (tips scale), kids scores a goal.

If nothing else, it sure makes for an interesting topic of discussion. Personally, my favorite line is, "Jouralism is dead and gone." I absolutely feel that way.

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 11:07 PM
I feel it's kinda odd to pray for a sporting event, even though I, myself, have done it. I mean, w/a world at war, does God really car if my kid makes a goal on her birthday? I dunno? (hand gesture of scale tipping) Keeping soldier safe (tips scale), kids scores a goal.

Why does it have to be one or the other? If your kid comes home from school and wants to talk about a problem he's having - even if it's a little problem - do you tell him to shut up because you have more important things to worry about?

EagleLady
11-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I have to side with LTL On this one, I mean unless something bad happens, I wouldn't pray for a football game. JMO.

luvthelighthouse
11-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other? If your kid comes home from school and wants to talk about a problem he's having - even if it's a little problem - do you tell him to shut up because you have more important things to worry about?

It doesn't have to be one or the other, thus why many people, self included, pray for small things. As for as telling my kid to shut up... I'm not God... my kids are my grand scheme, my priority... I don't have a world to control, just my family unit. ;)

sodascouts
11-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I know this is kind of out of left field but LROOE week is just about to end and before it does so, I wanted to post my final two videos that I made from album songs!

Waiting in the Weeds (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23111890)

Guilty of the Crime (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=23091992)

TimothyBFan
11-06-2009, 08:44 AM
WOW--One little song has made for pages and pages of discussion. Love this!

I can actually see everyone's side (isn't that diplomatic of me?:hilarious:) but I also agree with whoever (my mind is spinning so I don't remember who) made the point that he isn't necessarily mocking religion but how people use it. I can't get started on this subject or I will use up 5 pages all by myself and it's inevitable I will p*ss more than 1 person off in that discussion.

As far as Don looking down his nose at the common guy-I don't see it that way.

Here's a idea-we need to start a thread for songs like Dirty Laundry, Get Over It or some of the others that are so controversial -I can only imagine after seeing this thread what those also would end up being like.

This is very interesting stuff to me! Love a great discussion like this.

lynnzop
11-06-2009, 09:48 AM
Quite an interesting discussion. Personally, I like FG, but don't read so much into the lyrics. Yep, social commentary, but I find it rather amusing, tongue in cheek.

That being said, I wrote a review of LROE about a year ago when I purchased the CD (late comer :laugh: ). Going back to read it, I would make some definite changes to what I wrote - I didn't "love" Waiting in the Weeds" the first couple of times I heard it, but it's become my favorite on the CD, and one of my favorite Eagles songs.

The song is so simple, yet so complex....the interlude after

He's the darling of the chic
The flavor of the week is melting
Down your pretty summer dress
Baby, what a mess you're making

is just layers upon layers of melody that are interwoven like a fine tapestry. Gives me chills every time I hear it. (And what great allegory that is...the double entrendre of making a mess not only of the clothing, but of her life in general.)

WITW is a masterpiece, IMO. And I totally sold it short in my first review with a simple line and note that the piano solo at the end is very "Hornsby-esque" (which it is. ;))

The old review...

It's been a long time since The Eagles put out a new studio CD. In fact, it was 1979...days of feathered hair, 3 Mile Island, and the beginning of the Iran Hostage Crisis. While I'm a huge fan of the band, I love the old stuff. Give me Hotel California. A side dish of Tequila Sunrise. Maybe a bit of Lyin' Eyes for dessert, or perhaps some Wasted Time.

Since I love the "old" Eagles, Long Road Out of Eden (released 2007) was not high on my list of CDs to purchase - I liked How Long (a breezy rock-a-billy tune) when I'd heard it on soccer-mom radio, but I was in no big hurry to purchase the single or the CD.

Enter September 2008...for the fifth time, The Eagles announced that they would be coming to Omaha, and I knew that despite my best intentions and lame excuses ("I've seen them before", "It's a lot of money", "I have a very busy art show that day") that I'd be going the concert. ;-)

So shortly after picking up my tickets, I decided to pick up Eden as I'd heard that the tour set list would feature a number of the newer songs. I knew I wanted to be prepared, and not be bored when the new stuff came up (during a recent Elton John concert, I and the rest of the crowd found the "new songs" were a good time to go to the beer line or to the ladies' room....)

After listening to just the opening harmonies of No More Walks in the Wood, I knew this was going to be a good CD. Change that...a great CD. The voices of Glenn Frey, Don Henley, Timothy B. Schmit, and yes, even Joe Walsh, sound as good as they did 20, 30 years ago. The instrumentals were crisp and melodious...and the music and lyrics fit right in with all my "old" favorites.

On to the music.

Disc One is a bit more on the country rock side, the accoustic set of No More Walks starts things out with the tight harmonies that The Eagles are famous for, and the aforementioned How Long as the second cut. In How Long, Frey and Henley trade verses, with terrific harmonies on the chorus. This song will make you want to get up and dance, no matter where you are! The fourth track, What Do I Do With My Heart is about a wrenching breakup and reduces me to tears every time I hear it. Again, Frey and Henley take the lead, able to do both the lyrics and the tune complete justice.

Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit also get their opportunity to sing lead on this CD - Walsh's Guilty of the Crime follows What Do I Do With My Heart. (I'm thinking the producers probably put it there as comic relief so listeners didn't go driving off the closest bridge in angst...).

I've never been a big fan of Schmit, and frankly, the first time I heard I Don't Want To Hear Any More (track 6), I wondered who the girl was singing with the band. So yes, if you are fan of Tim's voice and style, you'll get it here. I like the second "Tim" song on Disc One - Do Something - better - the lyrics are excellent advice for today's economic climate, and in general, the victim mentality that seems to perpetuate today's society. I find myself grinning at the line "You're not ready for the rocking chair" every time I hear it - maybe a little jab at themselves?

Frey's No More Cloudy Days is a light pop song that reminds me of Peaceful Easy Feeling. Henley's Waiting in the Weeds is along the same genre - both songs flow along, observing life and love with the lead singer taking the verses; the rest of the band joins in on choruses with harmonies that are so tight, you can barely pull a single voice from the mix. Weeds has a lovely piano solo at the end that's very Bruce Hornsby-ish.

The remainder of the songs on Disc One are exceptional as well - the only one I do not care for is Henley's Fast Company. It's a disco-y, fast dance tune that capitalizes on Henley's falsetto and just rings wrong for me.

Disc Two rocks harder, beginning with the title track. Long Road Out of Eden is a social commentary on war and the excesses of the American people. The guitar solo is about as "hard" as The Eagles get, and it's apt to make you pick up your Air Guitar to play along. Ending with a militaristic drum cadence, this track quickly became one of my favorites.

I Dreamed There Was No War follows Eden, a short (1:38) instrumental that is a nice companion for the title track, which weighs in at a hefty 10:17.

Frey rocks and sneers about retribution in Somebody...I'm looking forward to seeing this song in concert. I love it when Glenn plays to the lyrics, and this song is well suited to his personality.

Last Good Time in Town is another Walsh tune - typical of Joe the Clown of the band, it sounds a bit like a remake of Life's Been Good.

I Love to Watch a Woman Dance is a nice waltz sung by Frey - easy and slow, you can grab your partner and sway to the melody as you hum along.

Henley's Center of the Universe is another easy ballad, with a one-time chorus that I love.
This is not the center of the universe
But that's alright with me.
This is not the center of the universe
But it's where I want to be.

Other tracks on Disc Two receive high honors - Business as Usual and It's Your World Now are excellent tracks that will have you singing along after just a few plays. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture (Track 4) is another social commentary song - a bit dance mix, but more likeable and singable than Fast Company.

If you have a choice, purchase the Deluxe Version of Long Road Out of Eden, which contains Hole in the World (commentary on post-9/11 life) and Please Come Home for Christmas (Henley's bluesy holiday love song). The Deluxe Version also comes with a nice, fabric covered book that holds the two CDs and contains all lyrics, credits and sepia-toned photos of the band and scenery from the filming of the How Long video.

Don Henley stated in an interview with CNN that "This is probably the last Eagles album that we'll ever make" and I hope he's wrong. While I can certainly understand being ready to take it easy or slow down, Long Road Out of Eden has me hungering for more from the band.

It's that good. Really.

As far as listening to the CD, I keep it in my car and play it at least once a week (I spend way too much time in my car....), plus it gets heavy play on my iPod. I tend to skip the songs I don't like so much, but once in a while, I "force" myself to listen front to back to make sure I haven't changed my mind about one. ;)

FWIW, I could listen to I Dreamed There Was No War over and over again for hours. Wish it was longer, but I understand why it wasn't.

Fan_For_Life
11-06-2009, 04:11 PM
Great discussion. I will not get too much into the subject but no matter how small a prayer may seem to some, that same small prayer is great to the one praying. God is the only one who can decide which ones hold more priority over the other.

Brooke
11-06-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, all this is very interesting. Even though I don't usually get in to these much, I do enjoy everyone else's comments.

FG is one I can listen to, but definitely not a favorite. I'm a bit taken aback by it as some of the rest of you. Actually, I agree pretty much 100% with everything Soda said about it. I can't add anything to that or think of anything to say that hasn't been said.

I'd have to say FFL summed it all up for me above.

Maleah
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I think what bothers me about this song is the way Henley seems to look down on regular people. The way he mocks working class guys whom he considers to be unenlightened... the way he sneers at people who pray for things that he considers trivial... It's so freaking arrogant and condescending. "I'm so much better than the ignorant masses."

The Capitol Gold interview actually made me like the song even less because he reveals that the people he's mocking, the ones that pray at football games, are just regular folks hoping the game goes well.

"[In Texas] football is right up there next to God and Mom and the flag and apple pie. And there's always a prayer before the games. And sometimes the prayer asks... I mean, they used to come out and just ask outright for victory, but now they just sort of pray that nobody gets hurt, which is fine, but... you know, they ask the Lord to watch over this football game, as if the Lord has nothing else to do. As if the universe is so small that the Lord has time to watch football games."

Obviously Henley believes that HE knows what the Lord cares about, unlike those stupid suckers, eh? I love how he begrudgingly admits that nowadays the prayers are for kids not to get hurt!

That kind of thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

YES! Those are the words I couldn't find! LOL That is exactly how I feel after listening to that song! It comes across as very arrogant and condescending to me! And asking the Lord to watch over this football game.....to me that implies to keep everyone safe that's playing the game. So that's silly? Do people not pray for protection for their loved ones? I know I do and I consider it far from silly. To me it makes me wonder how Don would feel if someone wrote a song about the enironment and his stance on everything and implied how pathetic and ridiculous it was to believe what he believes or support what he supports. Love the guy....but wholeheartedly disagree with his song and his opinion on the matter.

EagleLady
11-06-2009, 08:59 PM
I still don't get all the controversy surrounding FG, Don is entitled to his opinions and convinctions no matter how strong they are.

Maleah
11-06-2009, 09:05 PM
You're right EL, he is......however I'm also entitled to have mine which do not agree with him

11-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I just had a chance to read through this very interesting discussion, and not once did I see where anyone said Don doesn't have a right to express his opinion. And all of us have the right to agree or disagree with him. While some of us may believe that we will all face our final judgment day, that doesn't mean that we aren't supposed to make judgments and decisions during our time here on this earth.

In FGOTBP, I think what it ultimately boils down to for me is whether the intent was to mock or belittle individual people or make a criticism about society as a whole. I will take Don at his word that this was intended as just good-natured social commentary. In fact, I really chuckle at the humor throughout the song. For some unexplained reason, my favorite line is "you keep on rubbing that, you're gonna get a blister".

One other thing that I'll throw out here that I have mentioned before. The writing credits on this song are Don Henley, Glenn Frey, and Steuart Smith. I have never read or seen anything that says that Don wrote all of the lyrics, so I am reluctant to make that assumption. So depending on your view of the song, I don't think we should place all the blame or give all the credit to Don here. No matter what, whoever's named is attached to song bears responsibility and/or credit for it's entire content.

EagleLady
11-07-2009, 12:39 PM
I certainly didn't mean to offend with my comment :-(

Troubadour
11-07-2009, 02:04 PM
I like Frail Grasp because it raises some of the things that I wonder about myself. I take most of the comments in the song more as questions and observations, rather than accusations coming from someone on a 'higher' moral ground. I was raised in a quietly Christian family, although I can probably best be described as 'sceptical' now! I have never heard Don state explicitly that he is an atheist, so if it's not too presumptuous, I take it that, like myself, he just "doesn't know". That doesn't mean there's a lack of desire to believe in a higher power, it just means that there are a lot of issues with the way religion is used that muddy the waters. Along with a lot of questions that are left unanswered. For example, I take your point, Soda, about the football game lyrics, and I hadn't really thought about it in quite that way, so I can absolutely see why you think those comments might be harsh or condescending. The way I have always thought about it though, is: "If God exists while there is so much going on in the world - so many wars, natural disasters, etc - why would He 'preside' over a football game?" That itself can be seen as a bit of an arrogant assumption, in some senses. Similarly, how does anybody know what God would want, or which 'side' He is on? Surely He cannot take the side of any country or race of people? There is just so much about religion that baffles me. So the lyrics speak to me. That doesn't mean I look down on anyone who has firm religious beliefs - infact, a part of me envies and admires them! - but there are just so many questions and things that don't make sense to me about it. This song addresses some of those and gives me food for thought. At the very least, I think lyrics like "We pray to our Lord, who we know is American" are pretty brave. It's less about criticising God, and more about criticising the way that some human beings and organisations use faith to exploit and control others.

I admire the way song drifts between dealing with these big, universal issues, and the everyday, mundane things that we all face. I don't think that Don (or Steuart, or Glenn) is solely criticising those 'good old boys' down at the bar in the 'peanuts and politics' lines. I think it's more a criticism of journalism, the media, and the things that are kept hidden by the government, the churches, the news channels... It's less about the ignorance of the everyday man because of any fault of his own, and more about the lack of any real resources for the truth. It's just not included in a newspaper! All they will find is fabrication and glamour and exploitation and bias, even if they look for what's 'really going on'.

Obviously there are some lyrics that do seem to criticise the 'everyday' man, when Don sings about the young people living in a 'hormone dream'. Apart from finding that section of the song quite amusing (and oh so true!) I don't take it as particularly cruel or arrogant, because I think Don is probably referring heavily to himself and his friends as young guys. I think he's aware of this... he's not being hypocritical. He's just hitting on the idea that these days can't, and don't, last forever. You reach a point in life where you realise those 'soulful conversations' don't really mean too much, and that these brief romantic liaisons aren't particularly satisfying anymore. To me, the narrator is looking for more. Looking for answers - for things that are real - and urging others to do the same. Questioning things.

Finally, another element of the song that I really like, and identify with, is the idea of doing things for yourself. Taking action, not just moving fluidly, idly with the crowd. It's easier said than done, but that's one thing that I admire Don for - encouraging people to find their own path and do something. The line 'All waiting for that miracle elixir' is crucial, to me. It kind of reminds me of 'They're Not Here, They're Not Coming'. The idea of 'turning your hopes back homeward' and making things better for yourself, rather than waiting for something or someone to come and save you. Again, this is probably a fault of the media. The 'fairytales' we've been poisoned with. (Apologies for the lyrical Don fest!) The 'everyday man' is more a victim than someone to be accused. That's primarily the way I take this song, although as usual, I enjoy reading everyone else's thoughts.

PS. Did I mention it's quite funky? ;)

GlennLover
11-07-2009, 05:07 PM
LOL, Dreamer, that's my favourite line too! I'm not quite sure what they mean by it but, as with all their lyrics, they leave it open to personal interpretation. :blush:

Freypower
11-08-2009, 06:41 PM
Thanks to Dreamer & Troub for those comments, which I basically endorse.

But as to who wrote the lyrics - frankly, to me this song has DON HENLEY written all over it. I think he wrote the lyrics and Glenn and Steuart wrote the music. I don't know about Steuart and lyrics, but in this one I can't see much 'Glenn' in it, which I think I can in LROOE.

I think it's a funny song too - give me Henley humour any day, no matter how acerbic, than the occasions when he tends to 'sermonise'(I already mentioned a couple of solo tracks that fall into this category, and I regret to say so does The Last Resort, much as I admire it). I would like to see it played live - but he would have to play drums on it. I have no idea which tracks he plays on and that is a shame.

11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
But as to who wrote the lyrics - frankly, to me this song has DON HENLEY written all over it. I think he wrote the lyrics and Glenn and Steuart wrote the music. I don't know about Steuart and lyrics, but in this one I can't see much 'Glenn' in it, which I think I can in LROOE.

Well FP, you may be right. However, I can totally see Glenn writing some of those lyrics. As far as Steuart, I have no idea if he contributed to the lyrics or not. But, the point I was trying to make is that none of us knows for sure given the scarce amount of details available regarding the credits on this album. While I think we can speculate about it, I also think we have be careful not to draw any conclusions. It can be misleading, especially to those who are not as familiar with the band or the album as we hardcores are. That's the reason I brought it up - I would hate for someone reading this thread to be misled and/or jump to any wrong conclusions. As I said before, in cases where the credits are sketchy and lack detailed information, I just think it is better to assume equal credit for all writers until we learn differently. JMHO

Freypower
11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
You are right. But people assume this lyric is by Don Henley because it completely aligns with positions he has taken on the past on similar issues, and I believe he, not Glenn, talked about the song in interviews. Perhaps Glenn may have contributed to the 'my love drunk friend' part but again, that's so similar to songs like You Can't Make Love and You're Not Drinking Enough, whereas Glenn has never written anything like that. (When, apart from Living In Darkness, All Those Lies and He Took Advantage, does Glenn address another person in angry or negative terms? (He didn't write Already Gone). I could learn a lot from him :evil::shy:).

11-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the explanation FP, but I totally understand why people make this assumption. My point is that they shouldn't because it is an assumption based on inadequate information. I would have to take issue with you on several things here. It seems as if you are suggesting that if a songwriter never wrote lyrics about a certain topic or in a certain tone in the past, then they are incapable of ever doing so. Also, the implication of your post is that Henley is the only one of the song's writers that hold the views expressed in the song. I find it hard to believe that Glenn, Steuart, or any other songwriter would want their name attached to any song that did not reflect their own beliefs. So at the risk of beating a dead horse, we may just have to agree to disagree here.

sodascouts
11-10-2009, 11:54 AM
We do not know for sure who wrote what; that is absolutely true.

However, I tend to agree with FP that the odds strongly point to the lyrics being written largely by Don. While Glenn certainly has the ability to write on whatever he chooses no matter what he's done in the past, I think it's fair to use his past work as grounds upon which to speculate.

In the past, Don has tended towards the biting, accusatory, judgmental style of lyrics about the weaknesses of those who hold different viewpoints both politically and religiously. Glenn has not. The closest you get is Glenn's criticism of Ronald Reagan in Blues for Ronald Reagan and his criticism of greedy rich people in I've Got Mine, but neither condemn other political and religious viewpoints. Reagan is presented as someone who betrays on a personal level. His followers are not condemned. Indeed, Glenn includes himself among the fooled. I've Got Mine isn't about a particular political or religious view either.

While Glenn may have suddenly changed his tone, topicality, and writing style for this song, I think it is fair to say that it is not as likely as the scenario that Don simply wrote the same way he always does and Glenn did not contribute the majority of the lyrics.

Again, though, we cannot be 1000% sure.... and if Glenn put his name on it, he at the very least is fine with the message.

ETA: I should also note that while Glenn's name is on the song LROOE as a co-write, he credited ALL the lyrics to Don - "Henley's outdone himself." It is not a stretch to believe the same is probably true here.

Prettymaid
11-10-2009, 12:15 PM
It's hard to say how songwriting teams write. Unless they specifically tell you who wrote what (as Lennon - McCartney did) all we can do is speculate. But your posts remind me of a story about The Beatles' song Getting Better. Paul says in Barry Miles book, Many Years From Now

I was sitting there doing 'Getting better all the time' and John just said in his laconic way, 'It couldn't get no worse', and I thought Oh, brilliant! This is exactly why I love writing with John. He'd done it on a number of other occasions, he does a Greek chorus thing on 'She's Leaving Home', he just answers. It was one of the ways we'd write. I'd have the song quite mapped out and he'd come in with a counter-melody, so it was a simple ordinary story.

Maybe someday Don or Glenn (or both!) will do an article or a book in which they tell more about their process.

sodascouts
11-10-2009, 12:34 PM
That would be a fascinating book to read!

11-10-2009, 03:08 PM
Yep, I agree that would be a fascinating book. I soooo wish Don and Glenn would provide us with more specific information about their songwriting process. But, if all of it is just committed to their memories, it's possible that they don't even recall a lot of the details, especially about the early days. Some clarification sure would be handy though. :wink: :nod:

I wasn’t going to keep harping on this topic if no one was interested, but I’ll carry on if people want to continue discussing it. I want to say though that I’m not trying to come across as lecturing anyone, but this is something I feel rather strongly about. So I’m on my soapbox now and ready to go … :wink:

However, I tend to agree with FP that the odds strongly point to the lyrics being written largely by Don. While Glenn certainly has the ability to write on whatever he chooses no matter what he's done in the past, I think it's fair to use his past work as grounds upon which to speculate.

I’m not trying to say that the lyrics to the song aren’t largely written by Don. However, neither am I prepared to say that they were written exclusively by Don. I also disagree with your last statement here. Most artists always seem to be on a mission to find new ways of being creative. I think they are always trying to think “outside of their box’, so it makes it easier for them to change than it is for many of us. I hate to use this word, but for lack of a better one, I don’t think creative people are narrow-minded thinkers that get stuck in a rut. My guess is that they thrive on trying something different, and don’t like doing things because they’ve always done it that way. Now, I acknowledge that I’m generalizing here, and I’m sure Don and Glenn are creatures of habit to some degree. But, I just don’t buy into the idea that “Glenn never does this” or “Don always does this”.

In the past, Don has tended towards the biting, accusatory, judgmental style of lyrics about the weaknesses of those who hold different viewpoints both politically and religiously. Glenn has not. The closest you get is Glenn's criticism of Ronald Reagan in Blues for Ronald Reagan and his criticism of greedy rich people in I've Got Mine, but neither condemn other political and religious viewpoints. Reagan is presented as someone who betrays on a personal level. His followers are not condemned. Indeed, Glenn includes himself among the fooled. I've Got Mine isn't about a particular political or religious view either.

I really don’t agree with this assessment either. To begin with, your logic is based on your first statement, which I have said previously, I don’t agree with. I just don’t see the lyrics in FGOTBP as “the biting, accusatory, judgmental style” as you do. I think they are more intended to be humorous sarcasm. Again, while the style may be primarily Don’s, I don’t agree that this isn’t some of Glenn’s style. The reason that people think it’s Don is because every time an Eagles song uses a similar tone or style, everyone automatically concludes that Don wrote all the lyrics. Another example of this is ‘Get Over It’. Many (myself excluded) just automatically assumes Don wrote it because of the content of the song. To me, this is problematic, which is exactly the reason I ever mentioned it in the first place. As long as we continue to categorize them based on inadequate information, we continue to promote these stereotypes. I guess it’s the fandom’s own little mini version of social profiling. I don’t object to speculating – as a matter of fact, I do it often. However, the danger is that unless it’s clear that it is speculation, it can become misleading to the point that people accept speculation as fact. This seemed to be the case as I read through the discussion about the song in this thread.

Now, again, this continues to be a very interesting discussion and I’d like to hear other people’s thoughts. I suspect as I said before, we will have to just agree to disagree on much of this, but it’s interesting nonetheless. I’ll be the first to admit that I am hypersensitive about this, but stereotyping just happens to be a huge pet peeve of mine. So … stepping down from soapbox for now. :grin:

Freypower
11-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Regarding Glenn's statement 'Henley's outdone himself' re the lyrics of LROOE I would now share Dreamer's view that this does not necessarily mean that Glenn did not contribute to the song's lyrics, but as so often, he gives Don the credit. He does that all the time. Look at the 'without Don we'd be Air Supply' stuff. He underplays himself to an almost ludicrous extent.

I had no desire at all to say that based on Glenn's past work he could never write a lyric like FGOTBP but that was all I had to go on. I certainly have no desire to perpetuate any stereotypes. However, I still believe it was mainly written by Don, based on the construction of it. As you say we should now agree to disagree on this.

Whether Glenn and/or Steuart share the views expressed in the lyrics is another issue. It is an Eagles song so I imagine they do share the views.

I really hope that Glenn and Don do write some more songs together. I would like to see them share their political views more with us, if in fact that is what they did with this song.

11-11-2009, 11:54 AM
However, I still believe it was mainly written by Don, based on the construction of it. As you say we should now agree to disagree on this.

Well, actually FP, we can agree to agree on this statement. :wink: I do agree that in all probability Don was the primary writer of the lyrics. However, I just think we shouldn't exclude the possibility that Glenn (and/or Steuart) helped with some of the lyrics.

As I said before, at the very least, I believe we should assume that all three writers share in the credit or blame for the song when we praise or criticize them.

Freypower
11-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Something else to ponder - and perhaps we can now widen the discussion somewhat. Regarding 'stereotypes' - that is, that Don sings the 'political' stuff and Glenn sings the love songs - I had really hoped that on this album they would make an attempt to depart from these roles, but it didn't happen. (How Long and Somebody, while uptempo, are not 'poltical' even though one review suggested Somebody was directed at Bush). I always think 'surely Glenn sometimes gets bored singing love ballads' and I have the Strange Weather album to back that up. It also would have been nice, if for once in his Eagles career he could have sung lead on the title track (but it obviously was not going to happen here). He does have the 'final say' (for the first time ever) if you will with It's Your World Now. I think it took some bravery to write those lyrics given that they supposedly deal with a man who is dying. The first time I heard it I found it very depressing but I tend to think of it as 'uplifting' now. But even Don said he thought the lyrics were 'important'.

sodascouts
10-30-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm reviving this thread because Long Road Out of Eden was released three years ago today. Wow, can you believe it??

I'm so glad the Eagles went ahead and released this album after all those years of "dormancy." It not only showed that they still had writing and singing chops, but that they had the guts to take a risk and not rest on their laurels, so to speak.

I feel so lucky as an Eagles fan for Long Road Out of Eden and the subsequent tour and events that followed.

Thank you, Eagles!

WalshFan88
10-30-2010, 07:46 AM
I'm reviving this thread because Long Road Out of Eden was released three years ago today. Wow, can you believe it??

I'm so glad the Eagles went ahead and released this album after all those years of "dormancy." It not only showed that they still had writing and singing chops, but that they had the guts to take a risk and not rest on their laurels, so to speak.

I feel so lucky as an Eagles fan for Long Road Out of Eden and the subsequent tour and events that followed.

Thank you, Eagles!

I'm very glad as well for them releasing the album and touring. I got to see them in 2008 on that tour in Chicago (Sept. 25th). I wanted to make it to the Soldier Field show last summer but I couldn't due to some health problems.

So to echo Soda's statement - Thank you, Eagles!

jdubfan
10-30-2010, 11:06 AM
Can't believe it was three yrs ago already. I think it was a fitting addition to their legacy and will hold the test of time like their previous works. They each have a way of telling the truth and explaining circumstances that stay relevant even as times change. I think that similar ability is one of things that make the Eagles so bonded and go together so well. Different voices and expressions, but similar messages. LROOE has since become on of my favorite live songs as well. The meaningful, powerful lyrics, Joe and Steu's pin-ya-to-the-wall chords...just beautiful.
I was also at the 9/25/08 show. And the next night was the night that has sustained me in my dark times since then....September 26, 2008 was my M&G with Joe! Those beautiful golden eyes staring into mine....those huge, warm, soft hands holding mine.....his forehead against mine....holy sheepdip....memories that'll last my lifetime.
Will we ever see another Eagles record? To quote Glenn (hopefully) "Yeah...we'll be doing this forever."

10-30-2010, 07:16 PM
I agree with just about everything already said about Long Road Out of Eden. It seems almost impossible that it's been 3 years since its release. Although I don't think it is the best album the band recorded, it sure stands up VERY well against the others, IMHO. I think we sometimes take it for granted, but it was a remarkable feat that the album debuted at No. 1 here in the U.S. and sold 7 million copies after 29 years since the band's previous studio album. If that doesn't make a statement about the staying power of this band, then I don't know what does.

Congratulations on 3 years
Long Road Out of Eden!

You still sound new to me! :partytime:

TimothyBFan
10-31-2010, 11:06 AM
This album came out just when I needed it most! 2007 will most likely go down as the worst year of my entire life with several deaths in my family and 3 weeks after the release of LROOE, I lost my father to terminal cancer also. This cd was literally my lifeline for the 3 weeks between the time it came out & my father's death, and it was my constant companion as I traveled everyday from my home 45 minutes away to my parents and for several weeks after my father's death in helping get things straightened away for my mother.

I remember it arriving in the mail the day it came out and literally shaking as I opened it. I bet I looked at every inch of the cd that night. Just couldn't believe we had something new from my favorite band of the last 30+ years.

Thank you Eagles indeed!!!!

Koala
10-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Thank you Eagles for this fantastic album! http://smilies-smilies.de/smilies/schilderII_smilies/thenkju.gif

Brooke
10-31-2010, 04:23 PM
Wow! Three years already?! My how time flies!

I really love this album, along with all their others! Yup......the Eagles are the greatest! Thanks guys!

:idea: How about another one?

Freypower
11-01-2010, 06:05 PM
The amazing thing about this is that the album is three years old and I am only now about to see some of the songs performed.

I wish in a way they had come here when the album was still new and they hadn't dropped Somebody, because I really wanted to see that. There are still some songs on the album I would much prefer to see played live than a couple that I know I will see. I am actually quite apprehensive about these shows & really don't know what to expect (even whether or not Don will play drums).

I love the album & honestly think it could be on its way to becoming my favourite Eagles album. That is one reason I wish they could have showcased a couple more of the songs or even rotated them because they are all worthy of it.

Prettymaid
11-01-2010, 06:23 PM
I was also at the 9/25/08 show. And the next night was the night that has sustained me in my dark times since then....September 26, 2008 was my M&G with Joe! Those beautiful golden eyes staring into mine....those huge, warm, soft hands holding mine.....his forehead against mine....holy sheepdip....memories that'll last my lifetime.

Jiminy Christmas woman, what are you trying to do to me???!!!

Happy anniversary to LROOE. It flamed the spark I had for the Eagles so much so that I found this board and went to see them three times in 2008,2009 and 2010. So glad I did!

11-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Just thought I'd give this a mention as we wind down our week of celebrating the 3rd anniversary of Long Road Out of Eden. A little bit more trivia - the album was released on October 30th, 2007 which was Tim's 60th birthday. It hit #1 in the U.K. later that week on November 3rd, which was the first time the band had ever hit #1 in the U.K. Then on November 6th, Glenn's 59th birthday, the album hit #1 in the U.S. All in all, not a bad birthday present for those two guys that year, I'd say. :rockon:

GlennLover
11-07-2010, 02:30 PM
I knew that about the release date being on Tim's birthday, but not about it hitting #1 on Glenn's! Thanks for that info, Dreamer!:)

AmarilloByMorning
11-07-2010, 09:13 PM
Here's a idea-we need to start a thread for songs like Dirty Laundry, Get Over It or some of the others that are so controversial -I can only imagine after seeing this thread what those also would end up being like. I would enjoy that tremendously! So many things should aggravate me, but just slide past in the spirit of the song. Also, regarding the songwriting split someone mentioned, I recall reading that Glenn and Don just "shouted stanzas at each other," which seems indicative of a level partnership in the writing process.

I vividly recall purchasing this album.... I had never entered a Walmart before. :hilarious: "They sell what there? Oh, so it's like Walgreens. No? Oh, so it's like Target. No? Whatever. Where do I find the bloody cd? And why can't I just download it on iTunes?"

I skipped Waiting in the Weeds for almost two years after purchasing before actually listening and realizing it's far and away the best track on the album, imho. "A small gray spider spinning in the dark in spite of all the times the web is torn apart..." Love it.

Brooke
11-08-2010, 03:35 PM
I skipped Waiting in the Weeds for almost two years after purchasing before actually listening and realizing it's far and away the best track on the album, imho. "A small gray spider spinning in the dark in spite of all the times the web is torn apart..." Love it.

:shock: 2 years?! Oh my, what you missed for 2 years! Yes, it's brilliant!

Btw, loved you story, too!

whitcap
10-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Bringing this thread forward for the 4th anniversary. This was the first Eagles studio album that I bought. I had just become a fan earlier in 2007 :)

Redcloud
10-30-2011, 07:25 AM
A truly fabulous album that I never tire of. There is something different in it everytime I listen. Cant believe its 4 years though and I wish we could have another.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-30-2011, 08:46 AM
Welcome to the Border, RedCloud! And I definitely agree with your post. I had LROOE in my CD player for 3.5 years before I replaced it one of the Very Best Of discs. And I would love love love another album.

timfan
10-30-2011, 10:37 AM
I can't believe it's been 4 years since LROOE was released; it seems like just yesterday!

sodascouts
10-30-2011, 11:48 AM
I still remember the excitement of buying that album! Since I had only become a hardcore in 2005, it was my first time to get an Eagles album hot off the presses, so to speak. As soon as I got out of the store, I ripped open the plastic, put it in my car CD player, and drove around West Lafayette until I had listened to both discs in my car in their entirety because I couldn't bear to take the time to pause it in order to bring it into the apartment.

This in spite of the fact that thanks to Capital Gold, I had already heard all the songs on my woefully inadequate computer speakers!

Unbelievable that it's been four years. Oh, to have another one!

And welcome to the ranks of the active posters, Redcloud!

sodascouts
10-30-2011, 12:21 PM
By the way, on the past few anniversaries, we've been ranking songs. Although these are changeable, here is my current list, from most favorite to least favorite:

1. Waiting in the Weeds
2. What Do I Do with My Heart
3. How Long
4. No More Cloudy Days
5. Somebody
6. Busy Being Fabulous
7. You Are Not Alone
8. Business As Usual
9. I Dreamed There Was No War
10. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
11. Do Something
12. Center of the Universe
13. Guilty of the Crime
14. It's Your World Now
15. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
16. Last Good Time in Town
17. No More Walks in the Wood
18. Long Road Out of Eden
19. Fast Company
20. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

Prettymaid
10-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Happy fourth anniversary to LROOE! I'll admit that for some reason I had a hard time accepting this one, as it was so far removed from the others (time-wise anyway). But it has some great work on it and I look forward to another "new" one!

sodascouts
10-30-2011, 12:40 PM
It's amazing to me how much more I like "Somebody" now than when it first came out. I think part of that might be the fact that it's my little niece's favorite song off of LROOE. Whenever she visits me she insists we play it again and again and again... and instead of getting sick of it, I like it more each time I hear it. Weird!

EaglesFanatic
10-30-2011, 12:43 PM
In general, I really love this album. When I saw the Eagles in concert, it gave me such a great appreciation for LROOE. Happy anniversary to Long Road Out Of Eden!

Here's my list (also from most favorite to least favorite):

1: Long Road Out Of Eden
2: You Are Not Alone
3: How Long
4: Business As Usual
5: Somebody
6: I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
7: Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
8: Guilty Of The Crime
9: Busy Being Fabulous
10: What Do I Do With My Heart
11: Waiting In The Weeds
12: Last Good Time In Town
13: Fast Company
14: I Dreamed There Was No War
15: No More Cloudy Days
16: Center Of The Universe
17: It's Your World Now
18: Do Something
19: No More Walks In The Wood
20: I Love To Watch A Woman Dance

Prettymaid
10-30-2011, 12:44 PM
I think some are weirded out by his growly vocal, but I like that he's having fun with it and putting that spin on it!

Tori
10-30-2011, 02:07 PM
It's been four years?! Wow. I remember when I first got this album - my mom bought two copies so I wouldn't keep stealing hers. (since I have a tendency to take her Eagles CDs and listen to them...) It was in my boombox all the time, and I listened to it constantly. And when I saw them on the tour, the songs sounded even better live. Happy anniversary, LROOE! :grin:

whitcap
10-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Here's my list:

1. It’s Your World Now
2. Business as Usual
3. Somebody
4. You Are Not Alone
5. No More Cloudy Days
6. What Do I Do With My Heart
7. Do Something
8. How Long
9. Busy Being Fabulous
10. Waiting in the Weeds
11. Guilty of the Crime
12. Fast Company
13. I Don’t Want to Hear Any More
14. Long Road Out of Eden
15. I Dreamed There Was No War
16. Last Good Time in Town
17. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
18. Center of the Universe
19. No More Walks in the Wood
20. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance

Freypower
10-30-2011, 06:00 PM
1. Long Road Out Of Eden
2. Somebody
3. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
5. You Are Not Alone
6. It's Your World Now
7. No More Cloudy Days
8. Do Something
9. Waiting In The Weeds
10. Business As Usual
11. How Long
12. Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
13. I Dreamed There Was No War
14. Centre Of The Universe
15. No More Walks In The Wood
16. Last Good Time In Town
17. Busy Being Fabulous
18. I Don't Want To Hear Any More
19. Guilty Of The Crime
20. Fast Company

Glennsallnighter
10-30-2011, 06:23 PM
Happy Birthday to Long Road Out Of Eden. I cannot believe its four years since it was released. I still consider it the 'new' Eagles album! I suppose its still the newest!

Tori! We had the same situation here! I bought the standard version in the shops the day it was released. However I also ordered the de lux edition! When the De Lux arrived my (then 6 year old) daughter laid claim to the original one. Of course my first reaction on opening the booklet that came with it was ............. OMG :inlove::inlove::inlove:

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20Top%2020/LROOE5.jpg

My favourites change a little but not by much....
1. SomeBody
2. What Do I Do with My Heart
3. I Dreamed There Was No War
4. No More Cloudy Days
5. How Long
6. Its Your World Now
7. You Are Not Alone
8. Centre Of The Universe
9. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
10. Long Road Out Of Eden
11. Waiting In The Weeds
12. Busy Being Fabulous
13. No More Walks In The Woods
14. Last Good Time In Town
15. I Don't Want to Hear Any More
16. Hole In The World
17. Guilty Of The Crime
18. Business as Usual
19. Do Something
20. Fast Company
21. Frail Grasp on the Big Picture

We also have PCHFC on our cds, but it might complicate things to include it here. Anyway I tend to skip it when its NOT the Christmas season.

Freypower
10-30-2011, 06:31 PM
I don't classify Hole In The World as part of LROOE, even though I also have a copy of it as a 'UK Bonus Track'. It was recorded back in 2003. Because you included it on your second list you've left out Business As Usual.

sodascouts
10-30-2011, 06:46 PM
Well, the belatedly released "Deluxe Edition" with its recycled "bonus tracks" was just a lame marketing tactic to get us hardcores to buy another copy even though not only did we already have LROOE, we also had both the "bonus tracks" if we owned the VBoE.

Did I fall for it and buy the deluxe version as well?

You betcha! lol

However, I agree that those recycled tracks shouldn't be considered part of their new album.

sodascouts
10-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Anyway, a couple of years ago I made a bunch of videos for this album. They all got taken down off YouTube of course, but here they are in their MySpace incarnations:

Waiting in the Weeds (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/23111890)

I Don't Want to Hear Any More (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/32693910)

Somebody (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/29310463)

What Do I Do with My Heart (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/26809974)

Guilty of the Crime (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/23091992)

Business As Usual (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/38098130)

No More Walks in the Wood (http://www.myspace.com/eaglesonlinecentral/videos/video/31334792)

Glennsallnighter
10-30-2011, 07:22 PM
I don't classify Hole In The World as part of LROOE, even though I also have a copy of it as a 'UK Bonus Track'. It was recorded back in 2003. Because you included it on your second list you've left out Business As Usual.

Thanks FP! The first list wasn't mine at all. I had copied and pasted another list as a 1-20 template, and cleared the songs. I've rectified it now, and included BAU.

Oh and I LOVE your new signature banner!

whitcap
10-30-2011, 11:42 PM
I finally bought the deluxe edition earlier this year.

Koala
10-31-2011, 01:24 AM
Thanks for the video links!

EaglesKiwi
10-31-2011, 03:45 AM
I love this album. It's actually the first studio album I bought (in January this year).

I tried to rank in order from 1 to 20, but found it easier to use Dreamer's system

Within the groups, I've listed songs in alphabetical order.

5+ (I really REALLY love it and these would be in my top 10 Eagles songs)
*Long Road Out of Eden
*Waiting In the Weeds
*What Do I Do With My Heart

5 I love it
*Busy Being Fabulous
*How Long
*I Dreamed There Was No War
*It's Your World Now
*No More Cloudy Days

4 I really like it
*Business As Usual
*Do Something
*I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
*No More Walks In The Woods
*Somebody
*You Are Not Alone

3 I like it
*Centre Of The Universe
*Fast Company
*Frail Grasp On The Big Picture
*Guilty Of The Crime
*I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
*Last Good Time In Town

Would love another album!

TimothyBFan
10-31-2011, 08:25 AM
Wow---4 years!! Unbelievable!!! I went back through this whole thread a minute ago because I kinda remembered there being one song on the album that really caused a bit of conversation/debate a couple years ago and I thought it was in this thread. I was right, and I'll get to that shortly. But I also found how I described it when I first held this in my hand. Here's that link.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88612&postcount=36

And here about this albuming coming just when I needed it the most during my father's illness and losing several friends and relatives that year. What struck me while reading my post was that I could say the same thing this year, regarding several deaths, including my Mom's and one of my fave bands putting out a new album that meant a lot to me & helped a bit... The Cars new album Move Like This.. Strange.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126698&postcount=113

As for the controversial song, duh, it was Frail Grasp, of course. There were about 7 pages of discussion on it 2 years ago in this thread. Some of us felt pretty strongly about it. Here's where I picked some of the lyrics apart.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=88950&postcount=65

Now I will attempt to rank mine also. I believe it's been about the same all along with a few of them changing a bit. Most notably, Somebody after seeing it live.

1. Waiting In The Weeds
2. How Long
3. No More Walks In The Wood
4. Fast Company
5. Do Something
6. Busy Being Fabulous
7. Frail Grasp Of The Big Picture
8. Guilty Of The Crime
9. No More Cloudy Days
10. I Don't Want To Hear Anymore
11. Last Good Time In Town
11. Somebody
13. Business As Usual
14. You Are Not Alone
15. Center Of The Universe
16. It's Your World Now
17. What Do I Do With My Heart
18. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
19. I Dreamed There Was No War
20. Long Road Out Of Eden

Brooke
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
Good grief, 4 years already?! Impossible!

I remember when I finally heard Somebody on one of the interview shows and I just couldn't believe it was Glenn and how I loved it. So different for him!

Here's my list:

1. Waiting In The Weeds-it still takes my breath away every time I hear it! I just think it's beautiful.
2. Somebody (see above!)
3. Long Road Out of Eden
4. How Long
5. Busy Being Fabulous
6. What Do I Do With My Heart
7. Center of the Universe
8. It's Your World Now
9. You Are Not Alone
10.Business As Usual
11.No More Cloudy Days
12.Guilty of the Crime
13.Do Something
14.Last Good Time in Town
15.No More Walks in the Wood
16.I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
17.I Dreamed There Was No War
18.Frail Grasp on the Big Picture
19.Fast Company
20.I Love To Watch a Woman Dance

Topkat
10-31-2011, 05:14 PM
Wow, Has it been 4 years! I love this album. It had been so long that we had anything new from the Eagles, I was totally thrilled & ordered it as soon as it was available. Straight from the start, I loved "Waiting In the Weeds" The other song I loved right away was "Busy Being Fabulous" & "Guilty of the Crime" & oh a few others. I think Disk 1 was mostly what I listened to.

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY to Long Road Out of Eden!!:cheers:

WalshFan88
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Happy Anniversary To Long Road Out Of Eden!

While I have to admit this is my 2nd least favorite Eagles album (my least favorite is Desperado), I give the band huge props for putting out an album after so long and having the success with it they did as well as the fact I respect what it means to some people and I of course highly respect that. That said, I can't hide the fact I'm not overly ecstatic about the album. To me personally it sounds a bit sterile, too modern, too commercial, and over processed - if that makes any sense. :D The two songs I like from it are How Long and Guilty Of The Crime (both of which were older previously done songs). Where as my least favorite Eagles album, I only like the title track (Desperado). I did however like the LROOE tour as I saw them in Chicago in 2008 (September 25th show). I just wished they would have played more 70s tunes. Maybe they could have done one night of just the hits and one night of more LROOE focused songs. I suggested that a while back for those who wanted more LROOE songs in the setlist while those of us who are wanting more hits/less or no LROOE need that too and since they typically do (or did) two nights at one venue this could easily be done, IMHO.

That said, I do respect the Eagles for putting out a successful album after so many years and for moving on and for moving people with the album. You have to give credit where credit is due and I certainly always believe that. I also admire the fact the album had meant so much to some people and made some new Eagles fans as well and that's always a good thing! ;) :)

Koala
11-01-2011, 01:33 AM
Happy Anniversary LROOE

Wow, can't belive that I have this fantastic album already 4 years!

Prettymaid
11-01-2011, 07:13 AM
Here's my list. I've separated it into three sections, the first one being the songs I really like, the second songs I sometimes skip, and the third, songs I almost always skip.

I know I'm a Joe fan, but I'm surprised that nobody feels the love I have for LGTIT. Since the first time I played the CD I have loved that song - everything about it, and to this day it is still my ringtone.

BBF used to be higher on the list, but honestly everytime I hear it I think of their lackluster performance of it on the CMA show.

All I can say about Fast Company is, that's not the same Eagles I know and love. Okay, I guess it is, but I don't have to listen to it. ;)

1. How Long
2. Last Good Time In Town
3. No More Cloudy Days
4. Waiting In the Weeds
5. Somebody
6. You Are Not Alone
7. What Do I Do With My Heart
8. I Dreamed There Was No War

9. Long Road Out of Eden
10. Busy Being Fabulous
11. Guilty Of the Crime
12. Do Something
13. It's Your World Now
14. I Don't Want to Hear Anymore

15. No More Walks In the Wood
16. Business As Usual
17. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
18. Center of the Universe
19. Frail Grasp On the Big Picture
20. Fast Company

11-03-2011, 09:02 PM
HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

Wow - like most of you, it's hard for me to believe that this album is 4 years old. It still seems new to me as I listened to it in my car today.

I am woefully behind on the anniversary threads since I have been away for a little while. I will compile the results of this thread as I do with others at the end of the celebration week.

I made my list and then went back and compared it to my list earlier in this thread to see if I have changed my mind on the order of the songs and the only difference is that I reversed the order of Somebody and What Do I Do With My Heart. So here it is ...

1. How Long
2. Waiting In the Weeds
3. Somebody
5. Long Road Out of Eden
6. You Are Not Alone
7. I Dreamed There Was No War
8. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
9. Do Something
10. Last Good Time In Town
11. Business As Usual
12. No More Cloudy Days
13. Guilty of the Crime
14. Center of the Universe
15. It’s Your World Now
16. Busy Being Fabulous
17. I Don’t Want To Hear Any More
18. No More Walks In the Wood
19. Frail Grasp On the Big Picture
20. Fast Company

Koala
11-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Ok here is my list for the moment

1.How Long
2.Waiting In the Weeds
3.Long Road Out of Eden
4.Busy Being Fabulous
5.Somebody
6.It's Your World Now
7.No More Walks In the Wood
8.You Are Not Alone
9.No More Cloudy Days
10.I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
11.Business As Usual
12.Do Something
13.I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
14.Last Good Time In Town
15.What Do I Do With My Heart
16.Fast Company
17.Guilty Of the Crime
18.Center of the Universe
19.I Dreamed There Was No War
20.Frail Grasp On the Big Picture

Maleah
11-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Wow, I can't believe it's been this long! I still remember working at Walmart are being SO excited to tell everyone about this cd! lol I doubt my order has changed much, but I haven't looked at my previous list. Here's my current though:

1. Waiting In the Weeds
2. How Long
3. Long Road Out of Eden
5. Somebody
7. Guilty of the Crime
8. You Are Not Alone
9. Fast Company
10. No More Cloudy Days
11. Busy Being Fabulous
12. I Don’t Want To Hear Any More
13. Do Something
14. Last Good Time In Town
15. It’s Your World Now
16. I Dreamed There Was No War
17. No More Walks In the Wood
18. Business As Usual
19. I Love To Watch a Woman Dance
20. Frail Grasp On the Big Picture

Glennsallnighter
11-05-2011, 05:25 AM
Are you still with Walmart Maleah?

Maleah
11-05-2011, 12:50 PM
No ma'am! I've been gone for a couple of years. Seems like it's been longer though. lol

11-08-2011, 10:30 AM
Well - it's time to post the results of our LROOE poll and I am a bit surprised at some of the results. But here we go ...

1. How Long - 190 points
2. Somebody - 183 points
3. Waiting In the Weeds - 178 points
4. You Are Not Alone - 155 points
5. What Do I Do With My Heart - 154 points
6. Long Road Out of Eden - 144 points
7. No More Cloudy Days - 142 points
8. Busy Being Fabulous - 126 points
9. It's Your World Now - 114 points
10. Business As Usual - 111 points
11. Do Something - 105 points
12. Guilty of the Crime - 96 points
13. Last Good Time In Town - 92 points
14. I Dreamed There Was No War - 91 points
15. I Don't Want to Hear Any More - 85 points (tie for 15th & 16th place)
16. Center of the Universe - 85 points (tie for 15th & 16th place)
17. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance - 74 points
18. No More Walks In the Wood - 73 points
19. Fast Company - 60 points
20. Frail Grasp On the Big Picture - 52 points

So congratulations to our leader - How Long!!!

As usual, if anyone else wishes to weigh in here and post their list, I'll update the thread with the new results.

Glennsallnighter
11-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the Stats Dreamer. Its interesting to see how some songs seem to gel with everybody.....and some just don't!

Freypower
11-08-2011, 04:33 PM
I am very surprised to see Somebody rank that high. That sends a message, IMO.

TimothyBFan
11-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Yes, a very positive one I'd say!!

Like to point out that 2 of my favorite songs, both in the top 10 of my list, and in fact, one in the top 5, are the bottom 2 here. :hilarious: Glad to know I have a rather "unique" taste in Eagles music! :headscratch:

Prettymaid
11-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Sorry Willie, they just don't sound like Eagles songs to me, which is silly because that's exactly what they are. I guess I just don't like that genre of music for them.

11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Well - the first six choices on my list are the same as on the compiled list although in a slightly different order. Also my bottom three are the same as the compiled list. However, everything in between is all scrambled up. I do find that my choices in these lists are generally pretty consistent with the mainstream opinions. Not sure what to make of that - does that mean I'm boring and unimaginative? :lol:

Prettymaid
11-09-2011, 02:19 PM
No Dreamer, it means you're normal, unlike someone else we know. :shh:

TimothyBFan
11-09-2011, 03:25 PM
No Dreamer, it means you're normal, unlike someone else we know. :shh:

http://bestsmileys.com/signs11/23.gif

11-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Well - I don't know about that PM. Not to worry, Willie - I guess there are all different types of normal. :lol:

TimothyBFan
11-10-2011, 10:43 AM
Thanks Dreamer!! Someone understands me! :-?

Topkat
11-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Finally got to ranking the songs on this, Here is my list:

!> Waiting In the Weeds (to me this is by far the best song on the album)
2> How Long
3> Guilty of the Crime
4> Busy Being Fabulous
5> Fast Company
6> I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
7> What Do I Do With My Heart
8> No More Walks in the Woods
9> Long Road out of Eden
10> Do Something
11> It's Your World Now
12> No More Cloudy Days
13> Business As Usual
14> The Center of the Universe
15> Somebody
16> I Love to Watch a Woman Dance
17> Last Good Time In Town
18> You Are Not Alone
19> I Dreamed There Was No War
20> Frail Grasp On the Big Picture

11-12-2011, 11:11 PM
Updating the results of the poll after the new lists were posted ...

1. How Long - 209 points
2. Waiting In the Weeds - 198 points
3. Somebody - 189 points
4. What Do I Do With My Heart - 168 points
5. You Are Not Alone - 158 points
6. Long Road Out of Eden - 156 points
7. No More Cloudy Days - 151 points
8. Busy Being Fabulous - 143 points
9. It's Your World Now - 124 points
10. Business As Usual - 119 points
11. Do Something - 116 points
12. Guilty of the Crime - 114 points
13. I Don't Want to Hear Any More - 100 points
14. Last Good Time In Town - 96 points
15. I Dreamed There Was No War - 93 points
16. Center of the Universe - 92 points
17. No More Walks In the Wood - 86 points
18. I Love to Watch a Woman Dance - 79 points
18. Fast Company - 76 points
20. Frail Grasp On the Big Picture - 53 points

Judy
11-15-2011, 03:00 PM

I so wish they wouldn't have taken that song out. I was fortunate to see them play it twice, though.

Glennsallnighter
11-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I saw it live 3 times, in London, Belfast and Dublin. I loved it each time. Glenn :heart: rocked it out and made it his own. JMHO. I'd love to see it return to a set list as well.

Freypower
11-15-2011, 04:45 PM
I saw it three times out of four in Sydney. It was brilliant.

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2011, 03:53 AM
I saw it three times out of four in Sydney. It was brilliant.
And yet they had dropped it by Melbourne - the very next stop on the tour :sad:

Fortunately(?) I didn't know what I was missing - didn't get the LROOE album until after the concert! I've made up for it though, I play that album several times a week in the car!

BramwenR
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I just ordered this double cd deluxe set from the Eagles store :D Did a bit of chasing around by phone and it's been discontinued in Australia; JB HiFi only had the single cd and I wanted the double. And also, with shipping costs it's worked out slightly cheaper than the single copy!!

So I should have it in about three weeks!! Yay!!!

I just can't get enough of the title track. I think this is probably Don's greatest masterpiece. That and Waiting In The Weeds. I love both because of the quality of his voice. Absolutely incredible!!

There are two vids each of those songs on YT, LROOE in November last year and WITW Milan 2009.

I can't wait to have it in my hot little hands and pump up the volume on my stereo!!

:yay::grooving:

Freypower
07-03-2012, 09:10 PM
I just ordered this double cd deluxe set from the Eagles store :D Did a bit of chasing around by phone and it's been discontinued in Australia; JB HiFi only had the single cd and I wanted the double. And also, with shipping costs it's worked out slightly cheaper than the single copy!!

So I should have it in about three weeks!! Yay!!!

I just can't get enough of the title track. I think this is probably Don's greatest masterpiece. That and Waiting In The Weeds. I love both because of the quality of his voice. Absolutely incredible!!

There are two vids each of those songs on YT, LROOE in November last year and WITW Milan 2009.

I can't wait to have it in my hot little hands and pump up the volume on my stereo!!

:yay::grooving:

I don't know what you mean by 'single CD'. It's a double album with 20 tracks. Every edition of it has 2 CDs. The only difference is that some editions have a bonus track of Hole In The World and/or Please Come Home For Christmas.

BramwenR
07-04-2012, 01:06 AM
Beg to differ FP, I spoke to a guy in JB HiFi at Westfield,Tuggerah this morning; who said that they only had the SINGLE cd, the double cd was a limited edition and has been discontinued. The single cd starts with No More Walks In The Woods. In other words, HALF the album.

What's more, they were charging around $25 per.

I even phoned Sanity and it was confirmed that the double cd is no longer being pressed in Australia because it was a Limited Edition.

..which is why I had to go out on a very big limb and order it from the States.

Brooke
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Only 1 cd? Bummer for you Bram.

TimothyBFan
07-04-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't recall anyone ever talking about a single cd of LROOE before. It's been a double disc and a double disc only, rather it's a cd or the album. I wonder if the guy you spoke with didn't know what he was talking about. I have to think that's the case because surely someone would of seen or heard of a single cd before now. I mean, FP is in Australia also and heaven knows she was right "on it" from the get go like the rest of us here. That was a HUGE deal when we were all waiting for it. Most of us here had a preordered as soon as preorders were being taken. No waiting around for us to get it. :hilarious:

GlennLover
07-04-2012, 05:58 PM
This is the link to the Eagles' Official store.
http://eagles.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=458_12497#

As you can see the Deluxe Edition is a download (including a 40 pg booklet) with 20 songs plus the 2 extra songs that FP mentioned. The regular digital download, the CDs & the vinyl each contain the 20 songs & the track listings of each of the formats list both a Disc 1 &a Disc 2. I've never seen a single disc in any of the stores here. If the person you spoke with was not mistaken, then it must have been only in Australia that a single CD was released. :headscratch:

Freypower
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm afraid that I don't believe that was the case. It is a double CD, all over the world, and I have never heard anything to the contrary, or any mention of the double CD being a 'limited edition'. Why would such a thing happen? Any 'limited edition' was the one that contained the bonus tracks I referred to previously, not one which happened to include an entire disc of ten songs. Apart from anything else the title track is the first track on Disc 2. Bramwen, I'm afraid that you have been given incorrect information, but at least you ordered it from the States, I guess. I think they were just trying to disguise that they no longer had it in stock.

Furthermore for it to have been re-released as a single album the Eagles would have had to agree to it; the cover details would have needed to be changed to list only the first ten tracks; the more you write about it the more unlikely it is.

It should be remembered that when I saw them in 2010 I was given a copy of the CD at each show because I bought the most expensive tickets, and each copy was the double CD. I know that was two years ago, but still.

BramwenR
07-05-2012, 03:20 AM
FP, whether you believe that was the case or not, that is what I was told by JB HiFi and Sanity. I also thought how it could be released as a single cd, that the Eagles would have to approve of it. Very strange.

Sanity told me that Australia wide it was a Limited Edition as a double album, that is, the Deluxe with the bonus tracks..and that it had been discontinued. As I said before, Disc One was the single cd he was referring to..I know that the title track is on the second cd.

The guy at JB told me that they only had the single cd. I can only go by what I was told. Bottom line is, it was not available in either of these two stores and I got the same information from both of them that it had been discontinued after the Limited Edition copies ran out.

Perhaps as a moderator you might like to follow that up; I'm sure the Eagles would like some clarification as well. I don't know who the distributors were in Australia or I would ring them myself.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Here's a link for JBHifi, both are 2 CD's but one is a lot more expensive than the other (bonus tracks aren't really 'bonus').

Could we get Hole In The World and Please Come Home for Christmas on LROOE here in the states? I never saw that option...

07-05-2012, 10:04 AM
First of all, I am also only aware of the 2-CD release of LROOE. I'm afraid that the person at JBHiFi may be misinformed. If there is/was any single CD, it is not an official release by the band - it is an unauthorized bootleg.

As others have said, the original version was a tan cover with two-CDs containing 20 songs. Then a deluxe version was released with a red cloth cover which contained Hole In the World and Please Come Home for Christmas. It also included a very nice booklet with additional photos.

So Bramwen, you are free to believe this guy if you want, but we hardcore fans are pretty well-informed about these kinds of things. If the band released a single CD version, it was the world's best kept secret, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? :grin:

Glennsallnighter
07-05-2012, 11:27 AM
Why don't you try Amazon or EBay Bramwen? It's a lot cheaper that way.

BramwenR
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
First of all, I am also only aware of the 2-CD release of LROOE. I'm afraid that the person at JBHiFi may be misinformed. If there is/was any single CD, it is not an official release by the band - it is an unauthorized bootleg.

As others have said, the original version was a tan cover with two-CDs containing 20 songs. Then a deluxe version was released with a red cloth cover which contained Hole In the World and Please Come Home for Christmas. It also included a very nice booklet with additional photos.

So Bramwen, you are free to believe this guy if you want, but we hardcore fans are pretty well-informed about these kinds of things. If the band released a single CD version, it was the world's best kept secret, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, does it? :grin:

I spoke to someone at Sanity as well who told me the same thing. Don't shoot the messenger.

I asked him SPECIFICALLY what the cd started out with and SPECIFICALLY asked him was there one cd or two..I won't be shot down in flames over it, okay.

After some extensive web searching last night I found on JB HIFI's online store, this is what I found:

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/music/pop-rock/long-road-out-of-eden/284654

Obviously there is some misinformation somewhere. So I will be contacting the store today about the validity of this as it appears to be an old link.

You will also note that the bonus tracks are not listed on this one.

I also found this:

http://www.fishpond.com.au/Music/Long-Road-Out-of-Eden-Eagles-Rock/0698268450028

I have bought music from eBay before, I thought it more prudent to buy direct from the Eagles store.

07-05-2012, 02:25 PM
I spoke to someone at Sanity as well who told me the same thing. Don't shoot the messenger.

I asked him SPECIFICALLY what the cd started out with and SPECIFICALLY asked him was there one cd or two..I won't be shot down in flames over it, okay.

I think the folks here were just trying to be helpful and correct any misinformation that you may have been given, Bramwen. No need for anyone to be so sensitive over this. I don't thing anyone is trying to shoot anyone down in flames - we're just fans trying to help other fans. Sorry if you thought otherwise. :thumbsup:

BramwenR
07-05-2012, 02:36 PM
I think the folks here were just trying to be helpful and correct any misinformation that you may have been given, Bramwen. No need for anyone to be so sensitive over this. I don't thing anyone is trying to shoot anyone down in flames - we're just fans trying to help other fans. Sorry if you thought otherwise. :thumbsup:

Well, the thing is..you don't know for sure it was misinformation so how can anybody correct it. In the States I have no doubt there is no issue with the availability but it is not the case in this instance with these two outlets.

The staff officer at Sanity checked on her computer database and the double Limited Edition was not available Australia wide because it was discontinued. Apparently just the double cd was unavailable also.

There were some ready answers here to the contrary, all I did was relay what I was told and there were a few defensive answers.

So I am going to contact JB today and find out why it is listed on their online store and half the album at the retail store.

I was just super excited to know that I would be getting the album..that was actually the whole point of mentioning it and it's got blown out of all proportion.

:thumbsup:

07-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Look there’s really no need to belabor this - as I said, folks here are only trying to be helpful. The fact is we do know for sure that it is misinformation that the band released a single LROOE CD. All anyone is trying to say is that if a single CD exists for commercial sale, then it is an unofficial copy – that’s all. No big deal – and certainly no reason to for anyone to get so defensive. I expect most people here, including myself, will be very happy for you when you receive your copy of LROOE. Now, how about we heed the advice of a very awesome band – let’s “lighten up while we still can”! :thumbsup:

BramwenR
07-05-2012, 11:35 PM
Look there’s really no need to belabor this - as I said, folks here are only trying to be helpful. The fact is we do know for sure that it is misinformation that the band released a single LROOE CD. All anyone is trying to say is that if a single CD exists for commercial sale, then it is an unofficial copy – that’s all. No big deal – and certainly no reason to for anyone to get so defensive. I expect most people here, including myself, will be very happy for you when you receive your copy of LROOE. Now, how about we heed the advice of a very awesome band – let’s “lighten up while we still can”! :thumbsup:

Keeping it light Dreamer was only my original intention :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-06-2012, 09:05 AM
I'm glad you're such a good fan that when told of a single CD you opted to send for the double one and wait. While like any CD of original music there's some tracks that are stronger or weaker, the entire thing deserves to be heard and enjoyed. I'm positive you'll love it! Make sure to let us know!

zeldabjr
07-06-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm glad you're such a good fan that when told of a single CD you opted to send for the double one and wait. While like any CD of original music there's some tracks that are stronger or weaker, the entire thing deserves to be heard and enjoyed. I'm positive you'll love it! Make sure to let us know!

You will love it!!!

BramwenR
07-06-2012, 04:06 PM

Thank you Verna. I wouldn't want to hear only half the album when I know one of the songs I really love is on the missing cd. I listened to the Podcast of the album last week, ever since then I've watched LROOE about five times, WITW about the same, No More Walks In The Woods about three times, even watched a few covers of it. But I kept coming back to our boys. I also love Glenn's instrumental piece, I think that's a really nice touch.

Tell you a little story...back in 1991 Linda Ronstadt's Canciones Di Mi Padre was on tv..there was this one song I absolutely fell in love with, El Crucifico Di Piedra. When I went looking for the album I found the cassette but this song and another one I liked weren't on it.

So I asked the store owner was there any way I could get it with those two songs on it. He answered he could order it in as a video but it would be on Beta...It needed to come from the States.Then I needed to have it converted to VHS because that's the format we use in Australia. A month later I went to pick it up, $75 poorer but over the moon!!

So if there's a way to get something, I will find it!! If I'm going to buy this album I felt it a lot safer to go to the source And tghen the boys deserve the kudos for doing so, since it's their hard work.

Have to be honest..there are a few on this album I'm not fussed on on first listen..so I've been looking some of them up on YT..but in fairness to the guys I need to listen to it a couple of times to get the feel for it. I'll be sure to let you know my thoughts when it arrives!!

You too, Brenda!! :D

BramwenR
07-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I just got an email a short time ago telling me the package is on its way :partytime:

This is good news, yes?! :D

EaglesKiwi
07-07-2012, 04:01 AM
I just got an email a short time ago telling me the package is on its way :partytime:

This is good news, yes?! :D
Very good news!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

GlennLover
07-09-2012, 09:21 AM
Very good news!

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Me too! :)

BramwenR
07-09-2012, 01:31 PM
:D Well, I surely am looking forward to putting it on my cd stacker x3!! XDSS and pump up the volume!! :partytime:Hoping to have it within a couple of weeks, it may even get here sooner.

I read yesterday an old online newspaper interview Felder did in '07; in one of the comments someone referred to it as "Long Raod out to Jokerville" (that's verbatim).

Probably most here have seen the link to Felder talking about his book but since he wasn't a part of this album I'll post it over in his book thread. Some of the comments about Frey and Henley towards the bottom of the page are priceless!!:hilarious:

BramwenR
07-26-2012, 04:18 AM
:D Guess what was waiting for me when I got home after a long day of shopping today...:partytime:..listening to it right now!!

Will check back in after I've listened to it a couple more times..skipped to disc 2 and then I'm gonna skip back to WITW :hilarious:

Can't pump up the volume like I want cos my son is here watching a movie so I'm listening to it through the headphones on XDSS :hilarious: tomorrow when he goes to his mate's for the weekend believe me, I am gonna pump the volume..it's on level 20 but not the same LOL:partytime:

zeldabjr
07-26-2012, 04:30 AM
:D Guess what was waiting for me when I got home after a long day of shopping today...:partytime:..listening to it right now!!

Will check back in after I've listened to it a couple more times..skipped to disc 2 and then I'm gonna skip back to WITW :hilarious:

Can't pump up the volume like I want cos my son is here watching a movie so I'm listening to it through the headphones on XDSS :hilarious: tomorrow when he goes to his mate's for the weekend believe me, I am gonna pump the volume..it's on level 20 but not the same LOL:partytime:

So glad you got it...I've been listening to it a lot lately myself...I love it...I live in an apartment...so I can never play anything as loud as I like without headphones...my sister says I'm either gonna make Eagles fans out of all the neighbors or they're gonna end up hating them!!

BramwenR
07-26-2012, 10:41 AM
So glad you got it...I've been listening to it a lot lately myself...I love it...I live in an apartment...so I can never play anything as loud as I like without headphones...my sister says I'm either gonna make Eagles fans out of all the neighbors or they're gonna end up hating them!!

I'm enjoying what I'm hearing so far..I picked out my faves first, luckily I only have neighbours on one side and across the road so I can have mine up as loud as I like (if I close my front door) :thumbsup: your sister's right by the way, surely there are some Eagles fans amongst them and if not, well, you can always work on trying to convert them! :partytime::hilarious:

sodascouts
10-30-2012, 01:14 AM
So, LROOE was released FIVE YEARS ago today! Amazing!!! I still think of it as "new"!

I was thinking - if anyone would like to do a listening party tonight in our board's FlashChat (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/misc.php?do=flashchat&room=1), show up at 8:00 Eastern and we'll listen to the album together!

zeldabjr
10-30-2012, 01:33 AM
Happy Anniversary Long Road Out Of Eden! it sure doesn't seem like it's been five years!

I think a listening party sounds like fun! never done that before!

WalshFan88
10-30-2012, 02:26 AM
Happy Anniversary to LROOE!

I'll try to join in! Not sure what I have going on tomorrow night for sure.

TimothyBFan
10-30-2012, 07:53 AM
This is always an easy date for me to remember because it fell on someone's 60th birthday. I probably say this every year and I know it sounds hokie, but this album came at a time when I needed something, anything that would make what I was going through a little better. It was released a little over 2 weeks before my father passed away from cancer and became my constant companion for my daily treks to and from my Mom & Dad's house 45 minutes away and the many doctor/hospital visits, etc.... It was my little form of escape for a a little time everyday. I will always love it for that but at times it also saddens me. Know what I mean?

As for the listening party tonight, I might try to check in but can't guarantee it. Will definitely be fun tho.

Prettymaid
10-30-2012, 08:02 AM
Aw Willie, :hug: I'm so glad this album was there to give you comfort. Because of that you'll always have a special connection to it.

I just have the vague memory of going to Walmart to buy it. I was excited that they were putting out something new, and I knew that seeing them live was on my bucket list!

I have mixed reviews about this record. While I love some of the songs, I have never cared for the funkier ones, like Fast Company and Frail Grasp, but overall I think it's a good album.

Brooke
10-30-2012, 11:03 AM
5 years! :shock: Amazing! It really seems like it couldn't have been that long! :headscratch:

I love most of the album and I remember listening to some of the songs before it was actually released and how much I was in shock about Somebody! I remember I had used an old cassette tape deck to tape it from a radio station review or something! They never said who was singing the song and I was amazed that it was Glenn! Loved it from the very beginning, it was just so different for him, the way he changed up his voice in different parts.

And WITW just took my breath away; it was just sooooooo beautiful. It nearly brought me to tears many times while listening to it. I still think it's a masterpiece and so wish they would put it back in their shows.

I could go on, but I really need to do something at work!

If I can I will join in tonight. I don't know what hubby has going on though.

Glennhoney
10-30-2012, 11:47 AM
HAPPY 5th ANNIVERSARY...SO VERY THANKFUL THIS ALBUM HAPPENED..:)

Topkat
10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
I was so anxious to hear this album from our guys & they did not disappoint!!
I LOVE THIS ALBUM!!!!

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO THE LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

10-30-2012, 03:29 PM
OMG - I it does seem almost impossible to believe that this album is 5 years old. I'm like Soda - I still think of it as new (well, by Eagles standards, it'll still be new 10 years from now) :wink: :grin:

I think the album stands up very well against their earlier material, and I'm also very grateful that they got it done. I have to drive up to Laurel, MD. for work tomorrow so guess what the first album in the CD player will be. And I'll pop in if possible, but it's doubtful that I'll be able to make the chat party tonight.

HAPPY 5TH ANNIVERSARY LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

Freypower
10-30-2012, 05:52 PM
Chat party? I guess I missed that announcement. :-(

As for LROOE standing up well against their earlier work, it has pretty much become my favourite of their albums.

GlennLover
10-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Chat party? I guess I missed that announcement. :-(

Quoted from Soda's earlier post in this thread:

I was thinking - if anyone would like to do a listening party tonight in our board's FlashChat (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/misc.php?do=flashchat&room=1), show up at 8:00 Eastern and we'll listen to the album together!

I will drop in if I can. As I said in another thread I am fighting a cold. I can hardly keep my eyes open so I'm going to have a nap now & if I wake up in time I'll pop in.

Freypower
10-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I have other things to do so I will see what happens.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-30-2012, 07:16 PM
wow 5 years so hard to believe.
I like the cd.....but I love everything that they do.

zeldabjr
10-30-2012, 08:01 PM
wow 5 years so hard to believe.
I like the cd.....but I love everything that they do.

I know...I can't be objective about anything they do....

sodascouts
10-30-2012, 10:30 PM
Thanks to all who could make it. I had a great time!

Prettymaid
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
It was fun! But my typing skills under pressure really suck!

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 12:14 PM
Some people were saying last night that they hadn't seen the videos from this. I went to the Eagles website to link to them - and all I see is blanks where the videos should be! Is anyone else having this problem?

http://eaglesband.com/

Luckily they're still on myspace.

How Long (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CD0QtwIwAw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com%2Fvideo%2Feagles% 2Fhow-long%2F100006104&ei=dE6RUJv7NKWg2AXjj4GADg&usg=AFQjCNFR30tmCLS4kA3B3VAy7cZvumv-cQ)

Busy Being Fabulous (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=video&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQtwIwAg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.myspace.com%2Fvideo%2Feagles% 2Fbusy-being-fabulous%2F100006209&ei=pE6RUJvbHc7y2gXK5YGoAw&usg=AFQjCNHzeJmUnMYvkA0q38qtImShH0hnKw)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2012, 12:23 PM
I see them on the right side of the screen on the webpage. Even with Firefox. A month or so ago I didn't. I see them with IE, Firefox, and Chrome. Maybe you need to update your Flash Player or plug-in? For about two months now I couldn't play Flash on Firefox, but the most recent Firefox update seems to have fixed that. Just guessing here.

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 12:39 PM
I'm seeing them ....and thanks for putting them there Soda....I loved them!....may have to watch a few more times!:)

Brooke
10-31-2012, 01:09 PM
I can see them fine.

Topkat
10-31-2012, 01:40 PM
They didn't work for me either??? Not sure why
Thanks to everyone who who joined the listening party! It was FUN:thumbsup:

WalshFan88
10-31-2012, 07:59 PM
Chat was very fun last night! Great to talk to everyone who joined.

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 09:25 PM
loved the listening party...went so fast!

EaglesKiwi
11-03-2012, 05:23 AM
Sorry I missed the listening party. LROOE is probably my favourite Eagles album too (although Desperado gives it strong competition). It has 3 of my favourite songs on it: WITW, the title track, and WDIDWMH. :inlove:

So grateful the boys got this done. So when do we get the next one? :angel:
:hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
11-03-2012, 08:40 PM
yep that was fun. can we do it again??
soon

10-30-2013, 12:19 AM
On this day in 2007, the band released this awesome 2-disc album. It was so great and exciting to hear new music from them. The album went on to receive several Grammy nominations and two wins (How Long and I Dreamed There Was No War) and sell in excess of 7 million copies - not bad for a band that's been around for a while. So without further ado ...

HAPPY 6TH ANNIVERSARY LONG ROAD OUT OF EDEN!!!

zeldabjr
10-30-2013, 12:35 AM
Happy 6th Anniversary Long Road Out Of Eden!! You are simply amazing!!

TimothyBFan
10-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Such an easy album anniversary for me to remember, for obvious reasons. :laugh:

The album that came when I needed it most. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it and am extremely thankful for it as it helped me get through a very rough time in my life and was my driving companion as I was on the road for the few weeks after it was released, driving back and forth to my parents before my father passed away.

Such a wonderful album and I love so many of the songs on it. It was well worth the wait.

shunlvswx
10-30-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm gonna have to get the CD from either Amazon or see if Walmart still sells it online. Too bad its not on Spotify. I know the guys other albums are except that one and Hell Freezes Over.

Houston Baby
10-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Happy Anniversary "Long Road Out of Eden".

I remember being so happy to hear a new album/cd was coming out by our guys!!

Brooke
10-30-2013, 10:40 AM
Happy Anniversary Long Road Out of Eden!

Love it and was completely enthralled with it when came out! Well worth the wait! I was sooooooo happy when I finally got it, new music from my favorite band!

Outlawman13
10-30-2013, 04:57 PM
I love this album so much!!!!! It's very incredible!!!! LOL I don't know which song is my favvie on this one!!!

sodascouts
10-30-2013, 09:20 PM
I was SO jazzed when it came out and I still love it. I think it's better than The Long Run. It's such a freakin' shame they don't do anything from it on the History of the Eagles tour.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-30-2013, 09:34 PM
I'm with you, Soda!!

I love this album! What Do I Do With My Heart? Love it!

SteveJoburg
10-31-2013, 06:52 AM
Soda do you remember me showing you the 180gram Vinyl version at the music store when you were here?

It's still there... and has my name ALL over it...

sodascouts
10-31-2013, 08:45 AM
Yes - it's calling you! ;)

Brooke
10-31-2013, 10:47 AM
I was SO jazzed when it came out and I still love it. I think it's better than The Long Run. It's such a freakin' shame they don't do anything from it on the History of the Eagles tour.

I know! Wish they would have included at least one song from it.

Houston Debutante
10-31-2013, 04:30 PM
Love this album, especially Waiting In The Weeds, an absolutely brilliant song.

SteveJoburg
11-01-2013, 07:15 AM
I've said this before I think but had this album been released in a different time it would today be regarded as one of the all time classic double albums, no doubt about it.

UndertheWire
11-01-2013, 08:55 AM
Just after watching the documentary, I was turning out a shelf and found a copy of LROoE. My son had given it to me for my birthday a few years earlier but I'd never got around to playing it. I hadn't listened to any Eagles music for decades and was expecting it to be a dull recording by a well-past-their-sell-by-date band.
So I put it in the car before going on a journey and found that I liked it. It's really good and it hasn't been around long enough to be overplayed. I like the variety as I have different favourites on different days. I don't care that at lot of it is a collection of solo projects - the same could be said for the first Eagles album. I don't see how cutting it down to a single CD would have made it stronger - the tracks I skip will be different to the ones you skip and it's my choice.

Overall favourites are "What do I do with my heart?", "Somebody" and maybe "Hole in the World".

11-02-2013, 01:17 PM
First of all, I agree that they definitely need to include one song from this album at the very least in their current setlist. Hopefully, they will do that whenever they decide to 'tweek' the show.

And UTW - I enjoyed reading your post. It's nice to hear the perspective of someone who has just listened to this album for the first time. It's funny that you mentioned the issue about one disc vs. two. As you may be aware, there was a lot of discussion about this here when the album was first released. I actually made myself a single disc with my favorite songs on it. I listen to it occasionally when I don't have time to listen to both discs, but I find that I prefer listening to both discs from start to finish. As is my usual custom during the celebration weeks for the albums, LROOE is the featured album in my car's CD player this week.

deb828
11-06-2013, 03:54 PM
I've said this before I think but had this album been released in a different time it would today be regarded as one of the all time classic double albums, no doubt about it.
You could not have said this better. I have recently re-discovered the Eagles and am buying up their catalog--first bought this, Hell Freezes Over, and The Very Best of the Eagles. This is rapidly becoming my favorite! The harmonies are wonderful--oh, their voices. Love these new songs and agree with the above posts wishing they included one or more in the current setlist!

sad-cafe
11-12-2013, 12:48 AM
So many good songs on this album. Wish they would have included some of it in their tour. Center of the Universe is speaking to me currently.

Brooke
10-30-2014, 01:13 PM
Happy Anniversary to Long Road Out of Eden!

Wow, 7 years now! I remember getting it after waiting for it forever! How many years did they talk about it before it finally was released? 5 maybe?

Love the same songs as I did back then. And, I still think WITW is probably their most beautiful song ever recorded. :sigh:

Faves in no particular order:

How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
Waiting in the Weeds
Long Road Out of Eden
Somebody
Center of the Universe

thelastresort
10-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Happy 7th birthday LROOE!!!

I love this album, although I'm going to be unpopular here and say I would have preferred just a one disk set-up of excellent songs rather than two with both excellent and less refined songs, as what Don wished I believe. Anyway, my love is nonetheless undiminished.

I adore the title track. It is musically and lyrically well within the top 5 they've ever written. The fact that it has been omitted from the HOTE tour pains me. I also love Do Something (easily my favourite TBS song), Waiting in the Weeds (my word can Don write songs!), How Long, ILTWAWD (I love the charm within the words), Somebody (probably tied with NKIT as my favourite Glenn vocal ever, I love the way he sneers 'And he's calling you home'. Top rate performance from Frey) and IDTWNW (never fails to get me a bit emotional).

I genuinely think if the track listing was something like:
1) Long Road Out of Eden
2) How Long
3) Busy Being Fabulous
4) Do Something
5) Somebody
6) ILTWAWD
7) Waiting in the Weeds
8.) FGOTBP
9) It's Your World Now
10) I Dreamed There Was No War

It would be their best album ever, and possibly even one of the greatest ever written.

L101
10-30-2014, 02:05 PM
I love this album too and I agree, it should have been just one disc!!
I hope that the fact that they have left these songs and other newer/classic older songs out of the HOTE tour means that they will include them in a HOTE tour part 2 in a year or two :)
I actually lost this album for about two years and just before I went to their concert here in June, it turned up - hows that for fate ! :partytime:

My favorite song here has to be WITW - it is just beautiful and the harmonies are great. Don's voice is just so sexy and mature!

Anyway, my dream one disc LROOE album would be (in no particular order):
1) How long
2) Busy being fabulous
3) No more cloudy days
4) Its your world now
5) Long road out of Eden
6) What do I do with my heart
7) I don't want to hear anymore
8 ) I dreamed there was no war
9) Hole in the world
10) Waiting in the weeds

That CD would never leave my car :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-30-2014, 03:33 PM
I adore so many songs on this album! Lacken, I have to clarify that Hole In The World is not on this album. If it were, it would be my favorite.

My favorite is What Do I Do With My Heart. Written by Don and Glenn, my favorite team of songwriters. Sung by Glenn and a lot of back and forth with Don on back up. So incredibly heartfelt, the lyrics, the melody, the arrangement, it all comes together to make one fantastic song. It's the only Eagles song that when it comes on the stereo, I hit 'repeat' at least three times. OOTN, NKIT, and TS usually only get 'repeat' hit twice, the difference is that I listen to those songs more often since they're on so many other albums.

I'm one of those that's glad it's two discs, because while one disc would have been enough, my favorites tend to be different than those cited by others. So if it had only been one disc, some of my favorites would probably have been left off.

On the long drive to PA tomorrow, I plan on listening to this. Looking forward to it!

L101
10-30-2014, 03:43 PM
I adore so many songs on this album! Lacken, I have to clarify that Hole In The World is not on this album. If it were, it would be my favorite.

I thought I was going mad there for a minute as I knew that 'Hole in the world' was on this album so I got it out to look at it and discovered that it is a bonus song on the UK version of the album. Its the last song on the second disc.

bluefeather
10-30-2014, 05:07 PM
Happy anniversary LROOE! I got this album from the music library on Tuesday and I'm enjoying it greatly. I'm not through with the second disc yet but here's my two cents so far: firstly this album is clearly the most mature they've made which I like a lot. Secondly the album has several very good or great songs but also a few unmemorable ones. Disc one strikes me as the stronger one I'm gonna like best but we'll see.;-) The beginning of the second disc is superb and with the title track
it contains the most substantial piece on the album. From Somebody onwards I'm just not sure yet. My favorites are currently You're Not Alone, LROOE and Do Something.

sodascouts
10-30-2014, 06:22 PM
Happy birthday to LROOE!

Hard to believe it's been seven years since the "new" album came out. I'm just so glad they did this, and showed they still were creative and relevant. More power to them!!! I was listening to it in the car today and thinking how lucky we were, as fans, to get this album!

SoaringRockyMountainWay
10-30-2014, 07:41 PM
Happy anniversary LROOE! I love this album(well, I love all the Eagles' albums...) and I listen to it every chance I get.

shunlvswx
10-31-2014, 12:25 AM
Happy 7th Anniversary to LROOE.

I'm with VA. I love What Do I Do With My Heart. I think it's a great song. One of my favorite songs that Glenn and I love the lead vocals of Glenn and Don. I'm glad Don shared lead with two songs on the Album.

Speaking of HL, I was in Walmart buying a new camera after leaving it home and HL came on.

I actually love the disc 1.

My favorite songs are: How Long, What Do I Do With My Heart. LROOE, I Don't Want To Hear Anymore. You Are Not Alone and Waiting In The Weeds.

DivineDon
10-31-2014, 12:19 PM
I love this album too and I agree, it should have been just one disc!!
I hope that the fact that they have left these songs and other newer/classic older songs out of the HOTE tour means that they will include them in a HOTE tour part 2 in a year or two :)
I actually lost this album for about two years and just before I went to their concert here in June, it turned up - hows that for fate ! :partytime:

My favorite song here has to be WITW - it is just beautiful and the harmonies are great. Don's voice is just so sexy and mature!

Anyway, my dream one disc LROOE album would be (in no particular order):
1) How long
2) Busy being fabulous
3) No more cloudy days
4) Its your world now
5) Long road out of Eden
6) What do I do with my heart
7) I don't want to hear anymore
8 ) I dreamed there was no war
9) Hole in the world
10) Waiting in the weeds

That CD would never leave my car :lol:

I'm with you on this CD, Lacken, but would substitute Hole in the world for Somebody. I know its very worthy and everything but the constant refrain grates on me - a bit like Don's ASWTDID (I know - sacrilege!!!)

Overall, however I really love LROOE :grin:

Freypower
10-31-2014, 04:50 PM
I've never considered HITW to be part of LROOE. It was a bonus track that had been recorded several years earlier.

I also don't agree that it should have been a single disc. It was Glenn who decided on a double disc, to his eternal credit. For me the best part of it, as a Glenn fan, was that after so many years - decades - he had a decent number of lead vocals, even if two of them are shared. His leads are my favourite tracks on the album apart from the title track, which I think is close to the best thing the band has ever done.

Zanny Kingston
10-31-2014, 06:23 PM
A little late- But HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO LROOE!

Hard to believe this album is seven years old. The first time I listened to this album, I was not totally in love with it. It grew on me, and as previous poster mentioned, it is by far a more mature work for them. There are in fact some great songs on this album- just to name a few of mine- Waiting in the weeds, (can make me cry sometimes,) What Do I do with my heart, Busy Being Fabulous, How Long, No more cloudy days.
I feel very fortunate to have seen the Eagles perform "How Long" at the Walden Woods Benefit in Boston this past September. I do wish the Eagles would have given this album more love in the doc and their current tour.