PDA

View Full Version : Diverticulitis Timeline

sodascouts
05-29-2006, 08:49 PM
I just got a bootleg from August 28, 1986. It's Don's Concert for the Environment. Glenn appears via satellite from a hospital in Aspen and explains that he's there because he got diverticulitis and is too sick to come and play at the concert. I thought, however, that this was what kept him from touring in 1988. Did he have another flareup in 1988, or did he not tour for Soul Searchin' for non-health related reasons?

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

PinkCoatGirl
06-02-2006, 01:05 AM
Man...poor Glenn!!!

Now...forgive me if this is maybe a touchy subject...or a stupid question, my fandom is still relatively new and although I know quite a bit more than general info, some of the smaller details still escape me...but when did Glenn stop doing drugs altogether? If it was 1987 or early 1988, that could account for it, I would say. And if he just put it as "got sick", as Julie pointed out...that makes sense, I don't think he'd want to go into it much more than that if that is what it was.

However, it's entirely likely that I am way off and need to continue my Glenn research. :)

-----

~*She'll always be...the girl from yesterday...*~

My friend and I: "Nice coat Glenn!"

Joe Walsh, at next pause between songs: "Hey, nice coat, Glenn."

Glenn: "Thanks, thanks...yah, I picked this up at the..Liberace garage sale, glad you like it..." ;)

sodascouts
06-02-2006, 02:25 AM
Well, in 1985 Glenn was saying at live appearances that he'd given up coke, and in 1986 he said "When you blow your nose and the handkerchief looks like the flag of Japan, you know you're doing too much." On Arsenio Hall in 1993, he commented on how sad it was that people did so much coke that their brains were fried and they couldn't function anymore. I can't find the quote, but I also believe he told the rest of the Eagles before HFO that he wasn't going to do the touring if it meant being immersed in all the drugs and hard-core partying of the past.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no hard evidence that he did coke any later than 1986. Of course, there will always be rumors to the contrary, but they are difficult to substantiate. Anyone can correct me if I'm wrong, and offer proof if it exists - it's possible I'm just unaware of it.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

PinkCoatGirl
06-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Yah...I was thinking that, if it was '85 or '86 it doesn't fit with my speculation. If it were even as late as '87, it might...but you're right, I don't think it was. I was thinking about that quote just after I posted, lol...and that was the whole Livin' Right time period, as well. I wasn't sure whether he was serious in the live appearances, lol...but that quote from '86 definitely does make it sound as though he had given it up for real and for good by that point.

In short, I believe I pronounce my theory wrong. :) And yes, I've read that about the HFO tour, as well...everybody had to stay 'on the wagon' or the tour was a no-go.

-----

~*She'll always be...the girl from yesterday...*~

My friend and I: "Nice coat Glenn!"

Joe Walsh, at next pause between songs: "Hey, nice coat, Glenn."

Glenn: "Thanks, thanks...yah, I picked this up at the..Liberace garage sale, glad you like it..." ;)

glenneaglesfan
06-02-2006, 03:46 AM
I suspect "got sick" refers to the diverticulitis flaring up. he might not have wanted to say more at the time as it's not a 'glamorous' illness. He didn't have surgery until 1995, so he'd had to live with it for a good while. He also has rheumatoid arthritis although it must be inactive as he couldn't get through three days at Pebble Beach if it had flared up.

~~~

This way to happiness...

eaglesfans
06-02-2006, 10:18 AM
Glenn's had surgery for the Divirticulitis at least twice....in the late 80s and again in 1994.

sodascouts
06-02-2006, 10:48 AM
I suspect "got sick" refers to the diverticulitis flaring up. he might not have wanted to say more at the time as it's not a 'glamorous' illness.

It's possible, although in the Concert for the Environment in 1986 he was pretty open about it. He joked that it caused his body to have its own "toxic waste" problem.

~

glenneaglesfan
06-03-2006, 04:28 AM
Two lots of surgery? Poor man, he must have suffered.

It's possible, although in the Concert for the Environment in 1986 he was pretty open about it. He joked that it caused his body to have its own "toxic waste" problem.

Quite a medical sense of humour, then, lol!

~~~

This way to happiness...

sodascouts
06-03-2006, 02:22 PM
Also, he and his first wife Janie got a divorce in 1986. They were only married for 3 years, but he'd been with her since like 1978.

What amazes me is how in 1994 Glenn just soldiered on when he was suffering so much. I know we've talked about it before, but it's like recently with the root canal. You got to admire that kind of dedication to his fans.

~

Ive always been a dreamer
06-03-2006, 02:41 PM
It's also possible that Glenn was hospitalized in 1986 for the Divirticulitis, but didn't have his first surgery for it until 1988. His first "flair up" may have coincided with giving up the coke in 1986. From what I understand, medical problems can often surface when someone is trying to clean up from drugs.

All of this also coincides with the breakup of his first marriage. That may have also had an impact on his health. That's an awful lot of lifestyle changes going on around the same time.

Oh well - that's our Glenn. I always have said that the man doesn't do anything in moderation! ;)

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

timfan
06-03-2006, 07:54 PM
You sure do have to admire it!! It's a very brave thing to do...as well he could have shortened the show, not done all his songs but no he did every one!! that's dedication!!