PDA

View Full Version : What's For Dinner?

Prettymaid
10-30-2008, 01:30 PM
Okay all you cooks out there. Let's share our favorite recipes, except instead of using the boring names for them, (Meatloaf, Lasagna, ect...) let's incorporate the titles and lyrics of Eagles tunes.

Here are some examples:

Heartache Tonight Chili
No More Cloudy Days Ambrosia
All Alone at the End of the Evening Baked Beans

Get the idea?

Okay, I'll start... http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/LyinEyesChili.jpg

sodascouts
10-30-2008, 03:02 PM
This should be interesting! Too bad I can't cook! lol

TimothyBFan
10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
PM, love the idea. I will try to come up with something this evening.

Just think how much fun it will be when we make some of these, serve them to our families and they will be none the wiser of what we secretly call the recipe!!:hilarious:

ticky
10-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Woohoo!! here is my famous award winning chockie chip cookies!!

this is a great idea btw *G* I'm a cook.. *G*

Enjoy!

Already Gone Chocolate Chip Cookies (http://www.tickypages.com/picturebin/already-gone-cookies.html)

Prettymaid
10-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Just think how much fun it will be when we make some of these, serve them to our families and they will be none the wiser of what we secretly call the recipe!!:hilarious:

Maybe you're right, TBF. Maybe we shouldn't tell them they're eating
What Do I Do With My Heart Mac and Cheese!

Prettymaid
10-30-2008, 03:46 PM
Enjoy!

Thanks Ticky, they sound great!

Mrs Henley
10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Love those ideas!

Bad enough I can't cook either, lol

But I keep these recipes to give them to my mom, lol!

Mrs Henley
10-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Woohoo!! here is my famous award winning chockie chip cookies!!

this is a great idea btw *G* I'm a cook.. *G*

Enjoy!

Already Gone Chocolate Chip Cookies (http://www.tickypages.com/picturebin/already-gone-cookies.html)

I will love those Already Gone Chocolate Chip Cookies!

Brooke
10-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Love those ideas!

Bad enough I can't cook either, lol

But I keep these recipes to give them to my mom, lol!

Ok, MH and Soda, it's time for you girls to learn! Just follow the directions!

Mrs Henley
10-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Haha Brooke, I think you're right.
Soda, shall we make something together? :lol:

I will try the Lyin' Eyes Chili someday, lol!

thelongrun
10-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Haha Brooke, I think you're right.
Soda, shall we make something together? :lol:

I will try the Lyin' Eyes Chili someday, lol!

All Alone at the End of the Evening Baked Beans?
What Do I Do With My Heart Mac and Cheese?
Awesome! You made my Day:partytime:

How about You better let somebody love you Home made Apple Pie:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
10-30-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, who knows? Maybe we can talk the guys into letting us publish the recipes in a cookbook! Now for those of you who don't cook, think of some names for the cookbook!

sodascouts
10-30-2008, 05:23 PM
Ok, MH and Soda, it's time for you girls to learn! Just follow the directions!

Eh. Why should I cook fancy food when it's just me eating it?

But these recipes are tempting. ;)

TimothyBFan
10-31-2008, 09:12 AM
Here is my offering. Enjoy! It's a comfort food so I named it...

After The Thrill Is Gone Cheesy Spaghetti Bake

1 lb. bulk sausage 2 Tbs. flour
2 c. tomato sauce 1 3/4 c. milk
1 3/4 c. water 1 c. American cheese
1 pkg. spaghetti sauce mix 1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 lb. spaghetti
2 Tbs. butter

Fry sausage in sauce pan, drain fat, add tomato sauce, water and spaghetti sauce mix. Boil gently uncovered 30 min. stirring often. Cook spaghetti according to pkg. drain and rinse. Melt butter in medium sauce pan and stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk, cook over medium heat stirring constantly till mixture comes to full boil. Add cheeses and cook till melted. Layer in 9 x 13 in. baking dish 1/2 spaghetti, 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 cheese sauce and repeat. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Glennsallnighter
11-01-2008, 06:47 AM
I'll post up my 'Jack'o'lantern' soup later on this evening!!

Prettymaid
11-03-2008, 08:46 AM
TBF, your spaghetti bake sounds delicious-can't wait to try it.
Great name too!

Mrs Henley
11-03-2008, 09:13 AM
Here is my offering. Enjoy! It's a comfort food so I named it...

After The Thrill Is Gone Cheesy Spaghetti Bake

1 lb. bulk sausage 2 Tbs. flour
2 c. tomato sauce 1 3/4 c. milk
1 3/4 c. water 1 c. American cheese
1 pkg. spaghetti sauce mix 1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated
3/4 lb. spaghetti
2 Tbs. butter

Fry sausage in sauce pan, drain fat, add tomato sauce, water and spaghetti sauce mix. Boil gently uncovered 30 min. stirring often. Cook spaghetti according to pkg. drain and rinse. Melt butter in medium sauce pan and stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk, cook over medium heat stirring constantly till mixture comes to full boil. Add cheeses and cook till melted. Layer in 9 x 13 in. baking dish 1/2 spaghetti, 1/2 tomato sauce, 1/2 cheese sauce and repeat. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

I'm gonna try to make it! lovely TBF!

TimothyBFan
11-03-2008, 09:24 AM
I hope you guys enjoy it--it's one of our favorites and pretty much sinful!!!

Mrs Henley
11-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Hope it too! I will try to make it myself, haha :lol:

Prettymaid
11-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Hope it too! I will try to make it myself, haha :lol:

Good for you, Mrs H !

Mrs Henley
11-03-2008, 12:04 PM
hahaha, lol! one thing, i just can't cook

Prettymaid
11-05-2008, 02:18 PM
Okay, here's my latest offering!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/treatyourselfbetterparmcrustedti-1.jpg

Prettymaid
11-05-2008, 03:02 PM
And another for your dining pleasure!

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/youllhavetoeatyourlunchallbyyour-1.jpg

Brooke
11-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Yum everyone! I'm starving now! :lol:

Prettymaid
11-05-2008, 03:40 PM
And finally, for today's coup de grace...

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/tryintoloosenmyload-1.jpg

TimothyBFan
11-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Oh PM, That one is really bad!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

Prettymaid
11-05-2008, 03:57 PM
Oh PM, That one is really bad!!!:hilarious::hilarious:

I knowTBF, but I just couldn't resist! ;)

ticky
11-05-2008, 03:59 PM
LMAO ummm they sound delicious and helpful!

Wildthyme
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
Hahahahaha... oh my my my

Prettymaid
11-05-2008, 04:11 PM
Love your av WT!

EagleLady
12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
I call this. Ol' 55 Pumpkin upside down cake.

1 Lg Can Pumpkin 1 Yellow Cake Mix

I cup Chopped Pecan or Walnuts 1 stick Parkay

Cool Whip ( for garnish)

Preheat oven to 360 degrees

Mix Pumpkin as directed for pie. Pour into 9x13 Cake pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix over top pumpkin mixture. Sprinkle nuts over cake mix then drizzle melted parkay over all.

Bake for 35-40 minutes or until knife inserted comes out clean. let set until cooled then cut piece and flip it over where pumpkin filling is on top and garnish with cool whip and serve.

Littlemelly9
12-02-2008, 06:37 PM
Holiday Hotel California Cookies

HA!

EagleLady
12-03-2008, 10:33 AM
:lol: That's good Mel

ticky
01-17-2009, 05:55 PM
"You cant hide your fryin thighs" fried chicken

This is NOT an everyday dish. Im sure the fat content of this dish probably equals that of a bucket of lard (which you CAN use in substitute of the bacon grease). I make this once a year for my Dad's birthday. This is his mom's recipe (She was from Kentucky/Missouri) and his traditional birthday dinner with greenbeans and bacon, mashed potatoes and gravy and strawberry short cake for dessert. (THANK GOD it's just once a year.)

about 3 or 4 lbs chicken parts (I prefer thighs and legs and I always cut the breasts in half)
1 pint butter milk
2/3rds cup Corn Meal
2/3rds cup flour
1 1/2 tbsp salt
pepper to taste
1 egg
1 tsp tabasco sauce
1 tsp onion powder
1 cup peanut oil (of 1/2 peanut oil/ half bacon grease)

cooling rack
cookie sheet
cast iron skillet
Tongs

Wash the chicken parts under cool running water after fully defrosting. Mix one half of the buttermilk, half of the salt and place the chicken in a deep sided bowl. Pour buttermilk/salt mixture over it and soak over night. Drain the chicken and rinse it clean.
Mix the flour, corn meal salt and onion powder in a shallow wide bowl. Mix the egg, rest of the butter milk, and tabasco in another shallow bowl and whisk till mixed. Place the cooling rack on the cookie sheet. Dip the chicken in the flour/cornmeal, shake it off and dip in the egg/buttermilk, let it drip off, then dip into the flour butter milk mixture again. Lay on the cooling rack till all pieces are coated like this.
Pour your oil up to 1/2 inch in the cast iron skillet and place over medium heat. When they oil starts to smoke, turn the heat down to low and add the chicken one piece at a time. Do not over fill the pan! Brown on each side, when the heat is simmering, cover the skillet and leave on low heat for about 30 minutes or till the meat begins to seperate from the bone (low and slow is the secert here. Keep it covered and keep the heat just at a simmer). Drain on paper towels.
If you do not have a skillet large enough to cook all your chicken, an electric skillet works well with this (I usually have two or even three going at once making this) Be careful in turning the chicken as you dont want the coating to come off. The fond in the bottom of the pan makes incredible gravy!

TimothyBFan
01-17-2009, 05:58 PM
:hilarious::hilarious: Good one Rhonda!!!

eaglesvet
01-17-2009, 10:14 PM
lol!! Great title! From the Dreams thread, I was afraid you were concocting some combo of Lyin Eyes Chili, Already Gone Cookies, LROOE BBQ brisket, and pecan pie!:ack: (Oooh, I've been wanting to use that smiley...yea!!)

Exactly how big a bucket would one use?

Prettymaid
01-19-2009, 11:35 AM
Thanks for the recipes fellow Borderers!

A special thanks to Ticky for submitting something that has been in her family for so long!

Wildthyme
08-05-2010, 11:28 PM
I dredged this thread up because I ran across something today I had never heard of before. Anyone else ever heard of or tried Navy Bean Pie? A friend of mine is a big fan of it and has had it in other parts of the country (he was a long haul trucker for 18 years) and he introduced me to it. Interesting stuff and quite tasty... its actually a sweet dessert not unlike a pumpkin pie (most of the same ingredients) except that you use pureed cooked navy beans instead of pumpkin... It came as a big surprise to me! :lol:

Prettymaid
08-05-2010, 11:32 PM
I've never heard of it, but it sounds healthy!

TimothyBFan
08-06-2010, 08:58 AM
Never heard of such a thing. I wonder what part of the country that originates from.

Troubadour
08-06-2010, 09:04 AM
Sounds nice!

I've been working my way through my veggie cookbook lately. Last week I made a veggie moussaka, and a couple of nights ago I made a spinach and lentil pie, which I served with rosemary and sea salted roast potatoes and carrots. Both were delicious! I also make a leek, mushroom and lemon risotto, which has become one of my favourite dishes. If anyone would like the recipes, I can post them here. Just ask!

TimothyBFan
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Those are definitely things my kids would love, especially the spinach and lentil pie. They eat spinach like crazy.

Troubadour
08-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Here's the recipe for the spinach and lentil pie, incase you, Dillon or Katie want to try it.

Ingredients:

6oz (175g) red lentils
3/4 pint (450ml) water
1 1/2 lbs (750g) fresh spinach, washed and shredded
6oz (175g) curd cheese

For the sauce:

1oz (25g) margarine
1/2 oz (15g) wholemeal flour
1/2 pint (300ml) skimmed milk
sprig of thyme
bay leaf
1/4 tbsp grated nutmeg
salt and black pepper

For the pastry:

4oz (125g) wholemeal flour
pinch of salt
2 oz (50g) margarine
2-3 tbsp (30-40ml) cold water
1 tbsp (5ml) sunflower oil
1 tbsp (5ml) lemon juice

Method:

1. Place the lentils in the water and bring to the boil. Cook for about 15 mins or until the lentils form a soft purée. Beat well with a wooden spoon.

2. Lightly cook the washed spinach without extra water in a large, covered pan for 3-4 mins or until just wilted.

3. Mix together the cooked lentils, spinach and curd cheese.

4. For the sauce, melt the margarine in a pan and add the flour. Stir and cook for 3-4 mins.

5. Gradually pour on the skimmed milk, stirring constantly, and bring the sauce to boiling point.

6. Add the herbs and nutmeg, then simmer for 3-4 mins. Season well.

7. Mix the sauce with the lentil and spinach mixture. Spoon the filling into a lightly greased overproof dish.

8. For the pastry, mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Rub in the margarine until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix together the water, oil and lemon juice. Sprinkle onto the flour mixture. Quickly draw together to make a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 20 mins.

9. Roll out the pastry and use for the top. Prick well and brush with some beaten egg. Bake in a preheated oven at Gas Mark 4, 400F, 200C for 25-30 mins.

MikeA
08-06-2010, 10:58 AM
There are 47,000 ways to eat tomatoes. I've experienced 27,653 i the past month! Love 'em. Verna planted 6 plants (one an heirloom) and all are producing! Yum-Oh!

TimothyBFan
08-06-2010, 02:13 PM
Anybody with to many tomatoes, I have a fantastic ketchup recipe!! It's my Mom's and the best!

Thanks Lou! Will give it to kids and see what they come up with.

Troubadour
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
You're welcome, Willie. Hope they enjoy it!

I made a vegetable hot pot tonight with cheese triangles (like dumplings or scones, with cheese and chives.) It was yummy, although I burnt my poor little finger!

MikeA
08-06-2010, 03:24 PM
I think tomatoes are the one food that I'd never get tired of. I cannot think of any way tomatoes might be prepared that I wouldn't like them. I used to get in trouble when I was a kid. My Mom and Dad had a large garden and depended a lot on it for food...times were tough back then. I'd go out into the garden and eat tomatoes straight off the vine! But I got in trouble for doing the same thing with watermelon and cantaloupe too!

As good as these tomatoes are, they do not hold a candle to those grown my my Uncle in Little Rock, Arkansas though. I don't know how he prepared his soil or what variety of plants he grows, but they are the reddest and sweetest that I've EVER eaten.

Prettymaid
08-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Troub, I didn't realize how good of a cook you are! Your recipes sound delicious, especially the risotto. As far as the lentil pie, it sounds delicious too, but I'm not going to make any pastry dough. :blush:

Troubadour
08-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Well, I've been cooking for a while, but I've only started trying different dishes and pushing myself these past couple of months. I really enjoy it. The spinach and lentil pie was actually my first time making pastry! I was very impressed (and relieved) with how it turned out.

I'll put up the leek, mushroom and lemon risotto recipe soon. It is DELICIOUS!

Brooke
08-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Troub, I didn't realize how good of a cook you are! Your recipes sound delicious, especially the risotto. As far as the lentil pie, it sounds delicious too, but I'm not going to make any pastry dough. :blush:

Pm, you can buy Pillsbury pie crusts in the dairy case, pre made. It's really good-nearly like homemade! They come in a roll, two per box. I was always a stickler for homemade pie crust, but these have won me over and are sooooo much easier.

I've never had a lentil or risotto. What's it like?

ticky
08-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Okay, I love to cook, but the bane of my cooking existence had always been Pie Crust..... BUT my cousin, Susan, makes the most incredible pies and TAUGHT me how to make a crust that's soo freakin simple anybody can do it and it's fool proof! So, Im-a gonna share it wit cha'll!

Aunt Virginia's Pie Crust

3 slightly heaping cups AP flour (all purpose)
a pinch salt
1/3 Cup corn oil
2/3 Cup milk

mix the dry ingredients, make a hole in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix JUST till combined. It will be very dry and crumbly.
Place a large sheet of wax paper on a flat surface, scoop half the dough onto the wax paper and mold into a crude mound. Place another large sheet of wax paper over the top and, using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a thin round disc. Using the wax paper, flip the rolled out dough into a pie pan. It WILL fall apart, dont worry, just piece it back together. For covered pies, do the same with the remaining dough, or roll out the remaining dough, slip it onto a cookie sheet, spread with butter and cinnamon sugar and bake till golden brown for a crust cracker.
For fruit pies, liberally coat the top crust first with egg white and then sugar (Helps in browning and holds the sugar to the crust. It also helps keep the top crust together before baking)

Wildthyme
08-07-2010, 03:46 PM
I've never had a lentil or risotto. What's it like?

I like lentils because you can use them in almost anything you use beans in but they cook much faster and don't require pre-soaking. Plus they are very good for you and high in fiber and protein. They have a nice "meaty" texture when cooked and make a great substitute for meat in things like chili and stews. I make a curried lentil stew all the time in the winter that I eat with wilted spinach and a little vinegar (greens and vinegar are an Italian thing apparently :))

As for risotto... true risottos are only made with arborio rice. They are not hard to make but are a bit labor intensive because you are stirring and adding broth during the entire cooking process. But the result is a this wonderful creamy rice dish...

Here is a recipe for a basic risotto like the one my Noni made:

6 cups chicken stock or broth
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 - 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Heat the chicken stock/broth in a sauce pan over medium low heat while preparing the rest of the items (you want the broth to be very warm but not boiling hot).

Heat olive oil in a skillet or sauce pan over medium heat. Saute onions 1-2 minutes until translucent. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute until fragrant. Add rice to pan and saute until it turns a pale golden color - stir constantly and do not allow it to burn! When rice is golden, add white wine and stir until liquid is absorbed.

Add 1/2 cup chicken stock to rice and stir until liquid is fully absorbed. Continue adding chicken stock 1/2 a cup at a time and stirring gently and continually after each addition. When all the stock has been added and absorbed and rice is cooked to an al dente texture remove from heat. Stir in butter and parmesan cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

If you want to turn this into a mushroom risotto then you can saute 1-2 lbs of mushrooms (crimini or portobello are probably the best) in a couple tablespoons of olive oil and set them aside until the rice is cooked. Then at the point you are stirring in the butter and cheese you can add the mushrooms (and any cooking liquid) and enjoy!

Eve
08-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Okay, I love to cook, but the bane of my cooking existence had always been Pie Crust..... BUT my cousin, Susan, makes the most incredible pies and TAUGHT me how to make a crust that's soo freakin simple anybody can do it and it's fool proof! So, Im-a gonna share it wit cha'll!

Aunt Virginia's Pie Crust

3 slightly heaping cups AP flour (all purpose)
a pinch salt
1/3 Cup corn oil
2/3 Cup milk

mix the dry ingredients, make a hole in the center and add the wet ingredients. Mix JUST till combined. It will be very dry and crumbly.
Place a large sheet of wax paper on a flat surface, scoop half the dough onto the wax paper and mold into a crude mound. Place another large sheet of wax paper over the top and, using a rolling pin, roll the dough out into a thin round disc. Using the wax paper, flip the rolled out dough into a pie pan. It WILL fall apart, dont worry, just piece it back together. For covered pies, do the same with the remaining dough, or roll out the remaining dough, slip it onto a cookie sheet, spread with butter and cinnamon sugar and bake till golden brown for a crust cracker.
For fruit pies, liberally coat the top crust first with egg white and then sugar (Helps in browning and holds the sugar to the crust. It also helps keep the top crust together before baking)

My mom's pie crust recipe uses oil as well. SHE never has problems with it. Myself, it would be a patched up mess. Hers always looks good and tastes better.

I have good luck using white Crisco and making sure that is is good and cold. With those handy apple peeler/corer/slicers and that Crisco crust recipe, it's fast to whip out an apple pie.

AzEaglesFan
08-08-2010, 12:44 AM
I don't like to cook and if it was just me I would live on Marie Callenders frozen dinners. Bobby will cook sometimes usually pinto beans or something in the crock pot

Troubadour
08-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Finally got around to posting this recipe. Try it - it's delicious!

Leek, Mushroom and Lemon Risotto

Ingredients

225g/8oz trimmed leeks
225g/8oz/3 generous cups brown-cap mushrooms
30ml/2tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, crushed
75g/3oz/6 tbsp butter
1 large onion, roughly chopped
350g/12oz/scant 1 3/4 cups arborio rice
1.2 litres/2 pints/5 cups hot vegetable stock
grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
50g/2oz freshly grated parmesan cheese
60ml/4tbsp mixed chopped fresh chives and flat leaf parsley
salt and freshly ground black pepper
lemon wedges and flat leaf parsley to serve

Serves 4

Method

1. Wash the leeks well. Slice in half lengthways and roughly chop. Wipe the mushrooms with kitchen paper and roughly chop.

2. Heat the oil in a large saucepan and cook the garlic for 1 minute. Add the leeks, mushrooms and plenty of seasoning and cook over a medium heat for about 10 minutes or until softened and cooked through. Remove the ingredients from the pan and set aside.

3. Add 25g/1oz/2tbsp of the butter to the pan and cook the onion over medium heat for about 5 mins. Do not let it brown.

4. Stir in the rice and cook for 1 minute. Add a ladleful of stock to the pan and cook gently, stirring occasionally until all the liquid is absorbed.

5. Stir in more liquid as each ladleful is absorbed - 20-25 minutes. Keep the stock over a gentle heat. It should be hot when you add it to the rice. The risotto will turn thick and creamy and the rice should be tender.

6. Just before serving, stir in the leeks, mushrooms, remaining butter, grated lemon rind and 3tbsp of the juice, half the Parmesan and herbs. Adjust the seasoning to taste and sprinkle with the remaining Parmesan and herbs. Serve with lemon wedges and sprigs of flat leaf parsley.

Koala
08-14-2010, 02:08 AM
Troub, this recipe sounds good, I think I'll try it out!

Prettymaid
08-14-2010, 07:48 PM
Me too!

Brooke
12-14-2010, 02:13 PM
Eve sent me a link to her Raspberry Thumbprints and am posting it for everyone. These looked so good, can't wait to try them! Thanks Eve!

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/chocolate-strawberry-thumbprints

TimothyBFan
07-13-2011, 09:30 AM
Here's the thing, I'm a fantastic cook but not so good a baker!! I don't care much for baking and therefore don't do it that often. But my hubby loves his Mom's cheesecake (completely from scratch-d*mn her!!) and I can't find her recipe anywhere. I'm now on a mission for the perfect cheesecake recipe that I also won't pull my hair out trying to make. Looking on line, I'm finding a lot of them and all seem different and I don't know which one to use. Here's a couple of links I found.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/blueberry-cheesecake-10000001599817/

http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker/2010/11/ultimate-blueberry-cheesecake.html

But they both seem somewhat difficult--especially the last one combining the 2 "perfect cakes" to make 1. Yikes!!! Of course, it could be just me making it seem that way also. I'm no stupid and know I can do it. :hilarious:

Does anyone here have a good one that isn't going to take a rocket scientist to make it? I'd appreciate your help. Planning on making this a Sunday project since it seems they take awhile to put together.

EaglesFanatic
07-13-2011, 12:32 PM
I actually made chocolate cheesecake cupcakes last week. I made the mistake of putting in too much salt, but other than that, it's a pretty good recipe, and it's easy to make!

Here's the link if you're interested:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/chocolate-cheesecake-cupcakes

PS: If you substitute brown sugar for the regular sugar in the batter, it tastes really good!

EaglesKiwi
07-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Willie, I have several recipes that I've made - what kind of cheesecake was it - baked? Or just chilled & set? Any extra flavours (chocolate crust or fruit topping?), or just plain?

I'm sure between us all we can pin this down!

TimothyBFan
07-14-2011, 08:39 AM
It was a Blueberry cheesecake and was baked I remember. But when I called MIL yesterday, she claims it was nothing more than cream cheese and cool whip and blueberry pie filling. NO WAY!! She's slipping and I believe that's probably why she did the last few times, but 20 years ago or so, it was the real thing!

Are they really as difficult and time consuming to bake as you hear? I've always used the chill kind and just might go that way if I can't "handle" the other one. :hilarious: I really don't know why baking is such a chore for me when I can cook about anything else.

WalshFan88
07-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Last night was frozen pizza night... Tonight?! Not sure. Probably something quick n' easy too! :hilarious:

ticky
07-14-2011, 01:30 PM
It was a Blueberry cheesecake and was baked I remember. But when I called MIL yesterday, she claims it was nothing more than cream cheese and cool whip and blueberry pie filling. NO WAY!! She's slipping and I believe that's probably why she did the last few times, but 20 years ago or so, it was the real thing!

Are they really as difficult and time consuming to bake as you hear? I've always used the chill kind and just might go that way if I can't "handle" the other one. :hilarious: I really don't know why baking is such a chore for me when I can cook about anything else.

I dont think the recipe for cheese cake is as important as the process of putting it together. My Mom's favorite cheese cake recipe is a simple no bake cheese cake topped with fresh huckleberries in a simple syrup! there ya go!! cant get easier then that but if you want to bake a "real" cheese cake, pay attention to the process. Personally I use half cream cheese and half marscapone. Marscapone is a little lighter and will rise better and gives a real creamy feel to the finished product. Second, separate your eggs and whip your white (this is a personal preference. If you like a fluffier cheese cake this works, but it does make it slightly drier. If you prefer a dense moist cheese cake, skip this step) fold in the whites after everything else has been mixed in, and always bake your cheese cake: 1- in a water bath, 2- in a spring form pan. You can add a cut out piece of parchment on the top before baking to keep it from splitting and cracking on the top. Making the topping is simple. Place your fresh berries (about 2 cups) in a sauce pan and add a cup of sugar and a cup of water, a tsp of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Cook this down stirring constantly till it's syrupy (remember, your syrup will thicken when its cool.) If you want a thick gel like topping then reduce the syrup to about 1/2 let it cool to warm and add it to the cheese cake before you remove it from the spring form pan and refrigerate for several hours. If you want to add the syrup after you cut and serve it (so its all drippy down the sides and puddles on the plate) reduce the syrup about 1/4 and refrigerate till you're ready to serve it. It's much easier then it sounds. Dont be intimidated. and Good luck!

EaglesKiwi
07-15-2011, 06:25 AM
I agree with Ticky the secret to a baked cheesecake is cooking it in a water bath, which is a very gentle cooking method. When done, turn the oven out, open the door slightly (I prop mine open with a cork!) and let it sit in there until completely cool (to prevent it cracking).

Also, for any baking (unless the recipe specifically says not to): have your ingredients at room temperature before you start which makes everything mix together more easily.

If you haven't done it before, a "water bath" sounds way more complicated than it is:

Get a couple of sheets of tinfoil and lay them on your bench in an x-shape

Sit your springform pan in the middle of the x

Pull the foil up around the edges of the pan, so that it sticks up

Sit the foil-wrapped pan in a bigger dish of water... it should come up about halfway.

Bung the whole lot in the preheated oven.

TimothyBFan
07-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Thanks you guys!! Ticky, thanks for the detailed instructions. You've made it sound much easier then some of the recipes have. I plan to follow you and Kiwi's directions. I'm hoping to do it on Sunday. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Troubadour
07-16-2011, 03:28 PM
I had a delicious vegetarian cottage pie tonight. Very yummy and easy to make!

EaglesKiwi
07-17-2011, 05:52 AM
I had a delicious vegetarian cottage pie tonight. Very yummy and easy to make!
Sounds good Troub - can you please post the recipe? (Or just a quick summary of what's in it!).

sad-cafe
06-06-2013, 10:41 PM
If we already have a recipe section, please delete.

What did you make for dinner?

Easy Beef Enchilada's

use 1-2 lbs of burger one big white onion, two cans of enchilada sauce ( we use mild and have to use the El Paso brand , shredded sharp cheddar cheese and corn tortilla shells.

Dice the onion and saute in pan
WITH the diced onions in the pan
Add the ground beef. Salt and pepper break into small pieces and brown

take the corn tortillas and heat them in the microwave a few seconds to make them easier to fold without tearing.

spoon the burger/onion mixture into each shell.
Use glass baking dish
Add cheese and roll. Repeat till all mixture is used.

pour the sauce mixture over each of the rolled shells making sure that every shell has been covered. Put the rest of the cheese all over the top. Cover with alum. Foil Bake at 350 for an hour.

YUMMY

SallyGee
06-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Thanks SC. This sounds yummy and easy. I will definitely try this.

Freypower
06-08-2013, 08:11 PM
SC, as you can see I merged your thread with the old What's For Dinner thread. I knew we had one, I just had to find it!

sad-cafe
06-09-2013, 12:10 AM
Thank you for finding it.

Here is an easy dip recipe I'm using for the Spurs-Heat game tomorrow.

One block Velveta cheese cubed
1 lb ground hamburger
1 can rotel tomotatoes ~~~we use mild flavor~~~

1 can petite diced tomatoes

Ground burger and get it nicely crumbled.

In Crockpot layer the following:

Burger, 1/4 can of rotel tomatoes, 1/4 can petite diced tomatoes 1/2 the cubes of cheese

do the next layer the same way and end with the rest of the tomatoes making sure that all the cheese is covered with liquid. PUt crockpot on 4 hour and stir often to prevent cheese sticking to the side.

Serve with tostitoes scoops or bite sized chips.

I have to make this at every family gathering.

zeldabjr
06-09-2013, 01:03 AM
SC...both of these recipes sound great...will try them...

sad-cafe
06-09-2013, 05:47 PM
they are good.

The pan of enchiladas is gone.

Still have some cheese dip but I plan on baking some potatoes and smothering them maybe Monday or Tuesday

sad-cafe
06-12-2013, 11:47 PM
I made my own version of Chicken Pot Pie tonight.

2 thawed boneless breats
2 cans cressent rolls
1 bag frozen sliced carrots
1 bag frozen peas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 package velveeta shredded cheese

Boil the chicken and shred
Roll out the rolls. Inside the rolls, place cheese, chicken some pees and carrots. roll up . Do that until all rolls are used up

Grease 9/13 baking pan. layer the filled rolls side by side spoon over the top any left chicken, peas, carrots and cheese.

Over the top spread the chicken soup and the celery soup evenly

Cover with foil and bake 350 for 30 minutes.

Very good and makes enough for 16 eaters.

Brooke
06-13-2013, 01:56 PM
I made my own version of Chicken Pot Pie tonight.

2 thawed boneless breats
2 cans cressent rolls
1 bag frozen sliced carrots
1 bag frozen peas
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup
1 package velveeta shredded cheese

Boil the chicken and shred
Roll out the rolls. Inside the rolls, place cheese, chicken some pees and carrots. roll up . Do that until all rolls are used up

Grease 9/13 baking pan. layer the filled rolls side by side spoon over the top any left chicken, peas, carrots and cheese.

Over the top spread the chicken soup and the celery soup evenly

Cover with foil and bake 350 for 30 minutes.

Very good and makes enough for 16 eaters.

s-c, this sounds great. Do you use the soup from the can or make it as directed first?

We make the Rotel dip too with just the rotel and velveeta. I'll have to try your version. The enchiladas sound great too!

I'm hungry now and I just had lunch! :rolleyes:

zeldabjr
06-14-2013, 12:51 AM
this does sound great SC

sad-cafe
06-15-2013, 03:23 PM
I just dumped the soup from the can.

Next time, I might try it using frozen pie crusts and have the filling in the middle. I liked it very much but my daughter thought the crescent rolls were a little sweet. I didn't but am willing to try the crusts.

Prettymaid
06-16-2013, 04:20 PM
I have a similar recipe, but instead of crescent rolls, mine calls for puff pastry (not the sheets, the round discs) and instead of the individual frozen veggies it calls for a can of Veg-All (in the canned vegetable aisle). It's delicious!

zeldabjr
06-24-2013, 09:35 PM
saw this in Vegetarian Times magazine...

Tequila Sunrise Sorbet

makes 1 quart

1 banana, broken into pieces
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup tequila
1 1/2 cups pomegranate seeds

Puree banana and sugar in food processor until smooth. Add orange juice and tequila, and puree until combined.

Chill mixture in refrigerator until cold, then churn in ice cream maker according to manufacturer's directions. When sorbet is thick and creamy add pomegranate seeds,and churn until incorporated. Transfer to 1-quart container and freeze.

per 1/2 cup serving:140 cal; 1 g prot; <1 g total fat; 30 g carb; 0 mg chol; 2 mg sod; 2 g fiber; 25 g sugars

Enjoy it while listening to the boys!!!

WalshFan88
06-24-2013, 09:43 PM
I can't really add anything. :hilarious:

I have a cheese dip I make but it is never the exact same. I just add to taste. I like onions, peppers, spices etc and I just taste it until it's not too hot. I just take melted cheddar cheese and mix in diced onions and peppers. Makes great for tortilla chips.

I can give you instructions for microwave popcorn, macaroni and cheese, and frozen pizza. :rofl:

zeldabjr
06-24-2013, 09:45 PM
I can't really add anything. :hilarious:

I have a cheese dip I make but it is never the exact same. I just add to taste. I like onions, peppers, spices etc and I just taste it until it's not too hot. I just take melted cheddar cheese and mix in diced onions and peppers. Makes great for tortilla chips.

I can give you instructions for microwave popcorn, macaroni and cheese, and frozen pizza. :rofl:

oh Austin you crack me up!!!

Prettymaid
06-24-2013, 09:47 PM
You're funny, WF! :rofl:

Zelda, that sorbet sounds deelish, but I don't have an ice cream maker. :-(

WalshFan88
06-24-2013, 09:55 PM
It's the truth! :D I'm the best popcorn popper around. :hilarious:

Prettymaid
06-24-2013, 09:56 PM
It's the truth! :D I'm the best popcorn popper around. :hilarious:

Well, there is an art to pushing that popcorn button just right!

WalshFan88
06-24-2013, 09:58 PM
Well, there is an art to pushing that popcorn button just right!

And not burning it! :hilarious:

Outlawman13
06-24-2013, 10:07 PM
LOL Austin:rofl:

sad-cafe
06-24-2013, 11:47 PM
can I just say having a dinner of colon prep and clear liquids is not really that great.

When I am over I am making good ole spicey fried chicken, mashed potatoes and creamed corn

Prettymaid
06-25-2013, 08:19 AM
can I just say having a dinner of colon prep and clear liquids is not really that great.

When I am over I am making good ole spicey fried chicken, mashed potatoes and creamed corn

Just what the doctor ordered! :grin:

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 02:42 PM
oh it was good. Made it yesterday. There is no chicken left.

I did a no-no however. I was done with it a little early before hubby got home. Put it all in the oven to keep it warm and the gravy seized up. Had to add more milk to it to get it creamy again. I never thought it would do that:roll:

sad-cafe
07-02-2013, 05:39 PM
Hobo meals are in the oven

In foil, layer Hamburger patties, onions, carrots, potatoes and season. Wrap up, bake at 350 for 1.5 hours

Dinner done, clean up a breeze

Henley Honey
07-02-2013, 05:57 PM
Grilled Chicken and veggies with small red potatoes cooked with a little olive oil and rosemary. Yum.

Outlawman13
07-02-2013, 06:02 PM
OHH HH, I might have to try yours sometime soon. I love all of those ingredients. LOL. Yummy. Getting hungry now. LOL.

Prettymaid
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
For my Dad's birthday dinner on Sunday I decided to make something I saw on Zelda's FB page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sweet Baby Ray's Slo-Cooker Chicken

4-6 Large Chicken Breasts (I used chicken tenders)
1 bottle Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
1/4 C Vinegar
1/4 C Brown Sugar
Pinch of Red Pepper Flakes

Put chicken in cooker, mix remaining ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cook on low for 4 hours.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This chicken was so tender we didn't need a knife! And the flavor was wonderful. It tasted just as good reheated. I'll definitely make it again!

sad-cafe
07-02-2013, 08:58 PM
yum

those all sound great

sad-cafe
07-06-2013, 04:18 PM
Pilsbury has come out with a Gluten-Free pizza crust that is cold and you just spread it out. We made a "meat lovers" pizza with sausage, pepperoni and hamburger and then tried the new mozz cheese that has a touch of cream cheese in it.

Very good!

Hubby is allergic to wheat.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-06-2013, 06:36 PM
woa me to..

i will have to look for that ...fresh or frozen??

It sounds good. Will have to look for it .

I shop at Wegmans and trader joes and whole foods..

I am allergic to wheat gluten, tomatoes and sensative to soy which is often used as the sub for wheat.

The best pretzels are by snyders . If you havent tryied them , I reccommend them highly

did take out tonight.
chicken cheesesteak no bread...very original lol

sad-cafe
07-06-2013, 07:05 PM
http://www.pillsbury.com/Products/Gluten-Free

this is what we used.

Hubby is allergic to wheat and oats

makes cooking pretty hard sometimes.

I would hate to be allergic to tomatoes. We have found that a lot of soy has wheat in it. Even Gatoraid . A lot of times, modified food starch means wheat.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-06-2013, 07:20 PM
I dont buy anything that says modified food starch .
only when it says what it is.

Thanks for the link will check it out.
<
My dietician said that g2 is ok for my issues.(gatorade)

I feel your pain lol

Troubadour
07-07-2013, 06:17 PM
I had puy lentils with salad for dinner. Puy lentils are my new favourite thing - they are so tasty, even plain with just a pinch of seasoning!

Prettymaid
07-07-2013, 06:24 PM
I've never heard of them!

Troubadour
07-07-2013, 06:32 PM
This is what they look like cooked. They're little black lentils that taste WAY better than they look! ;) They're great alone, or they'd be really nice in a vegetarian shepherd's pie or lasagne. They're so healthy and filling.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/atthetroubadour/PuyLentils_zps71e95308.jpg

Prettymaid
07-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Yum! I've had lentils, but never heard of puy lentils. The nice thing about lentils is that they are small and cook much quicker than beans, and as you said, are very filling!

sad-cafe
07-07-2013, 06:42 PM
those look good.

I will have to try them. Thank you for the idea

Troubadour
07-07-2013, 06:43 PM
I totally agree, PM. Try them and let me know what you think - they really are much more naturally tasty than most other lentils.

Prettymaid
07-07-2013, 07:00 PM
I totally agree, PM. Try them and let me know what you think - they really are much more naturally tasty than most other lentils.

Well, first I have to find them!

Troubadour
07-07-2013, 07:22 PM
I hadn't thought about it, but as they come from France, I don't know if they are stocked in mainstream shops in the US... You would be able to order them, though. Here's a blog post (http://www.davidlebovitz.com/2006/11/cheap-caviar-1/) about puy lentils with a couple of recipes.

Prettymaid
07-07-2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks Troub!

Witchy Woman
07-07-2013, 08:55 PM
This is what they look like cooked. They're little black lentils that taste WAY better than they look! ;) They're great alone, or they'd be really nice in a vegetarian shepherd's pie or lasagne. They're so healthy and filling.

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq285/atthetroubadour/PuyLentils_zps71e95308.jpg

Anytime anyone mentions lentils this is all I think of :hilarious:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PwONwhCwTE

sad-cafe
07-07-2013, 09:24 PM
daughter made chicken quesadillas tonight. They were very good. Her boyfriend came for dinner. Bonus: She cleaned up after herself! :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
07-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Grannys Salisbury Steak

1 ½ lbs ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
½ cup cooked rice
... ¼ tsp black pepper
1 egg
1 ¾ cups sliced fresh mushrooms
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp salt
3 cups beef broth
3 Tbsp water
2 Tbsp cornstarch

Combine ground beef, onions, rice, black pepper and egg; divide into six equal portions. Shape each into a 1 inch thick patty. Coat a skillet with cooking oil and cook patties for 5 minutes on each side. Remove from skillet; keep warm.

Add mushrooms to the skillet and cook for three minutes. Add Worcestershire sauce, salt and beef broth; cook for another ten minutes.

Return patties to the skillet, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove the patties to a platter; keep warm. Combine water and cornstarch; add to broth mixture, stirring well. Bring to a boil then cook ONE minute more. Serve over patties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

I made this last night. Hubby hates Salisbury steak so I didn't tell him the name till after he declared it was good and it was a keeper

Prettymaid
07-11-2013, 09:02 PM
You're a good cook, SC!

sad-cafe
07-13-2013, 12:49 PM
thank you!

Hubby thinks so too, in 24 years of marriage, he has gained about 80 lbs :sigh:

Troubadour
07-24-2013, 08:15 AM
This vegan taco is so easy and healthy. I make chilli all the time, but I've never really thought to just make a taco with the filling, salsa and guacamole. I'm going to try it soon!

http://youtu.be/ra8vI1x-0Z8

Prettymaid
07-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Yum! I'll have to watch the whole thing later, but can I just say, I wish I had my own private chef!

sad-cafe
07-31-2013, 04:09 PM
grilled cheese sandwich with home grown tomato slices in between the melted cheese :)

Tiffanny Twisted
07-31-2013, 05:05 PM
dambed if I know ...I am running out of ideas....is it my turn again to cook???

Outlawman13
07-31-2013, 05:26 PM
OOOO the grilled cheese with tomatoes sound so good!!!! I'll have to do that some day soon!!! Getting hungry now!!! LOL

Tiffanny Twisted
07-31-2013, 06:02 PM
ok I kinda cheated.
took a wegmans frozen wild rice and stire fry mix and added an extra bag of frozen veggies and ready made beef pieces for stir fry and cookd all together and added a little of balsamic vinger salad dressing and it comes out good.
JAHH calls it stew but that its not lol

sad-cafe
07-31-2013, 10:25 PM
OOOO the grilled cheese with tomatoes sound so good!!!! I'll have to do that some day soon!!! Getting hungry now!!! LOL

They were very good. I ate two. Anyone that knows me knows that I don't eat much at a time. It is only good with home grown tomatoes and we only get them about 1 maybe 2 months a year so they were awesome. First ones of the summer.

sad-cafe
08-03-2013, 12:32 AM
we cheated and went to Red Lobster tongiht

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 02:30 PM
going to make home made Stroganoff tonight

Last Sunday of freedom. Teachers report Tuesday

Henley Honey
08-12-2013, 05:07 PM
Roasted lemon-pepper chicken, baby red potatoes and green beans.

zeldabjr
08-12-2013, 05:14 PM
barbecue chicken and roasted broccoli

Brooke
08-13-2013, 02:22 PM
Roasted lemon-pepper chicken, baby red potatoes and green beans.

This sounds like a recipe I printed off Fb! Must try!

sad-cafe
08-20-2013, 07:42 PM
Taco Pizza

hubby is dieting and daughter worked all day and then had class an hour after she got off work.

Grey Sadler
08-20-2013, 07:55 PM
Twas...orochetti (sp?) pasta with ground turkey (browned in olive oil, s/p, roasted garlic flakes, dried basil, and fresh parsley--really wish this last basil plant had made it!), sweet peas, and a touch of (soy) mozzarella...MMMMMM

This was part of the Sunday Night Fix-it-Up Marathon:
-browned some ground turkey
-browned some ground beef & chopped carrots for what will become Veggie Stew (asst. principal brought some Roma tomatoes to the office last week, we'll see what I can do with them here!)
-set up 2 different marinades for chicken breasts, one goes in the Crock-Pot tonight...
-boiled and cooled soymilk for yogurt making (and subsequently lost some of it when it boiled over under the burner, ugh) and set that up to incubate overnight...and it actually turned out pretty well!!
-leftover chicken became chicken salad and a portion of chicken & rice (which was today's lunch)
and...the fish went in the freezer until the weekend :lol:

zeldabjr
08-20-2013, 08:47 PM
baked chicken breasts and roasted broccoli...I'm going to start clucking soon!!!
GS...you make your own yogurt?...cool...how do you do that?...is it better than the store bought?

Grey Sadler
08-20-2013, 09:44 PM
baked chicken breasts and roasted broccoli...I'm going to start clucking soon!!!
GS...you make your own yogurt?...cool...how do you do that?...is it better than the store bought?

I have a incubator (EuroCuisine, I think) with 7 jars and lids that I purchased on Amazon.com...the consistency is a little thin, but it's a bit cheaper (and fewer no-nos like cornstarch for me)...the stores around here don't stock the brand we really like (Silk vs. WholeSoy), and the WholeSoy factory was actually out of commission for part of the summer, so I dug the 'maker out again a few weeks ago and gave it a whirl!

I'm sure regular dairy yogurt would be just as "easy"...I just boil a quart of soymilk, let it cool, and I added cultures to the first batch (6 acidophilus capsules opened up and mixed in), but I always make at least two "plain" jars before adding vanilla flavoring--one of them to add to next batch to "chain" the cultures, sort of like sourdough bread or something...oh dear, now I'm HUNGRY again!! :D

sad-cafe
08-20-2013, 10:00 PM
I love chicken. You guys are making me hungry!

sad-cafe
08-25-2013, 06:36 PM
we had goulash tonight

1-2 lbs ground beef
1 bunch of green onions diced
1 small white onion diced
2 cans tomato sauce
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 cup brown sugar
1 box pasta . We use shells.

Boil noodles to desired tenderness--rinse and set aside
Brown hamburger-drain
add brown sugar ( I actually use a little more because I like it sweet)
Add onions, Tomatoes and sauce. Mix thoroughly. Add the cooked noodles and simmer a few minutes.
We serve it with Garlic bread.

prayfordaylight
08-26-2013, 08:29 AM
I love goulash. I've been using Bobby Deen's recipe for years: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/bobbys-goulash-recipe/index.html

sad-cafe
09-02-2013, 08:03 PM
that looks good too.

Will have to try it sometime

sad-cafe
09-08-2013, 12:57 AM
my daughter has requested meatloaf. SO I found a nice sized package of ground chuck. We will be having meatloaf, baked potatoes and green beans for Sunday Dinner. Comfort foods I guess.

Witchy Woman
09-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Because of being incapacitated at the moment I haven't done any cooking, and it really bothers me, because I want to be able to do that for myself. I'm going to try to make some simple dishes tomorrow, like chicken and mashed potatoes and spaghetti and portion it out for my dad to microwave for me so I can take a little of the pressure off of him to make anything. He tries, bless his heart, but he goes to McDonald's more often than not.

sodascouts
09-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Good luck easing back into cooking, WW.

Prettymaid
09-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Yes WW, start out easy.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-08-2013, 07:21 PM
take it easy ww(no pun intended )

Glennsallnighter
09-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Good luck with the cooking WW!

You're right! You can't live on McDonalds forever!

sad-cafe
09-21-2013, 11:58 PM
hubby grilled steaks tonight and baked potatoes and a sweet potato for me. Was great.

Glennsallnighter
09-22-2013, 05:05 AM
Sounds lovely SC! Hope you enjoyed it. I love steak. Medium rare with onions mushrooms and green veg! Yummy!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-22-2013, 12:25 PM
since i am not sure what time my son will be home i made rice and fresh veggies and chicken dish .
All I have to do is warm it up.
that way if he is late there is something for him to heat up healthy

sad-cafe
09-22-2013, 08:54 PM
you are an awesome mom!

Today my daughter cooked a chicken chili. It was very good but I had to sneak some sour cream into my bowl when she wasn't looking because she likes things a little on the hotter side.

EaglesKiwi
09-28-2013, 04:27 AM
My husband went to a cooking lesson with a group of colleagues earlier in the week. They made blackened fish, crab cakes and jambalaya - he brought the recipes home so I might try the jambalaya tomorrow (depending how the day goes!).

sad-cafe
09-28-2013, 01:11 PM
oh that sounds so good. We make tuna patties that probably resemble crab cakes. I would love to learn how to blacken fish without it being too salty or too done.

sad-cafe
10-06-2013, 04:43 PM
hubby spent 8 hours yesterday smoking ribs and deer roast and a pot roast.

we made coleslaw and baked beans

wonderful football dinner and my team is now 5-0 :)

Outlawman13
10-06-2013, 08:08 PM
That sounds wonderful Pam

Right now my aunt is cooking some Elk burgers, corn, and some rice. I love Elk and she has some Elk salami to snack on.

sad-cafe
10-06-2013, 09:04 PM
oh that sounds delicious.

I want hubby to make some jerky with some deer meat

sad-cafe
10-11-2013, 10:45 AM
Hubby is dieting again Tonight we are eating Olive Garden salads

Brooke
10-11-2013, 01:06 PM
We are roasting hotdogs on the firepit outside tonight. And will be listening to Mike Shannon and the Cardinals! Love fall!

sad-cafe
10-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Brooke, that sounds like fun.

Well, hubby called and said he wasn't looking forward to salads and I only had to work long enough to post my grades so I am frying chicken and making mashed potatoes and creamed corn.

Brooke
10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Yum, s-c! I think I like your menu better! :lol:

Prettymaid
10-11-2013, 07:40 PM
Sounds fun Brooke! I just love a big outdoor fire in the fall, with hot dogs and s'mores and... Gotta go eat! Making myself hungry!

WalshFan88
10-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Last night was chicken and noodles....

Instructions:

1. Go to the deli at the grocery store and buy said noodles

2. Heat them up in the microwave

3. Eat them

Sorry, I just have too much fun with this thread.... :hilarious: LOL I'm not a good cook at all.

Prettymaid
10-12-2013, 03:56 PM
Last night was chicken and noodles....

Instructions:

1. Go to the deli at the grocery store and buy said noodles

2. Heat them up in the microwave

3. Eat them

Sorry, I just have too much fun with this thread.... :hilarious: LOL I'm not a good cook at all.

Those instructions sound so easy maybe I can do it! :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
10-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Love it Austin! Whatever works for you!

I decided that Laura was too fond of eating out and getting takeaway (ie I am saving up some cash for New York) so we've eaten in a lot more this month. Tonight I did chicken stir fry with coconut sauce and noodles. BUT from scratch Austin!

sad-cafe
10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
oh that sounds good

Brooke
10-14-2013, 11:44 AM
It's a good thing I don't live in a town with lots of restaurants because I would probably never cook! And I'd probably weigh a lot more! :lol: We have one little hometown café that is very good and it's a challenge for me to not go there more. We usually order lunch once every couple weeks and hubby and I go there maybe once a month. I really love to eat! Made german chocolate cake for our dnl's birthday dinner yesterday. Yum!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-14-2013, 06:25 PM
home made gluten free chicken soup
(I have food allergies)
will freeze me in individual containers for single serving.
sometimes I feel like it and jahh wants more to eat so its nice to have something I can defrost and eat since I cant open a can of campbells soup

sad-cafe
10-15-2013, 08:16 PM
My hubby is allergic to Wheat. I totally get the GF hardships

sad-cafe
10-21-2013, 11:02 PM
hubby is on the diet kick again. Tonight he made this awesome stir fry with : baked chicken, onions, green peppers, peas, mushrooms and some GF stick noodles with an egg stirred in. For flavor, he used some GF soy sauce and some rice wine vinegar. It was really good.

Outlawman13
10-22-2013, 02:39 PM
That sounds super good!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-22-2013, 07:35 PM
hubby is on the diet kick again. Tonight he made this awesome stir fry with : baked chicken, onions, green peppers, peas, mushrooms and some GF stick noodles with an egg stirred in. For flavor, he used some GF soy sauce and some rice wine vinegar. It was really good.
recipe please..i have a gluten allergy and am always looking for great ideas

MaryCalifornia
10-22-2013, 08:21 PM
Risotto with Asparagus and Pine Nuts. From Babe the Pig's Vegetarian Cookbook. For TT and a couple of others who requested. I have made this many times and it is easy/forgiving and delicious.

1.5 qt veggie stock [you could use chicken]
Salt, to taste
8 stalks fresh, slender asparagus
1/2 cups pine nuts
2 tblsp unsalted butter
1 onion, finely chopped
1.5 cups Italian arborio rice [you must use arborio]
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tblsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, with more for the table.[this cheese is expensive, you could use regular parmesan]

In a saucepan, bring the veggie stock to a boil and let it boil for about 5 minutes, to reduce it a little. Turn the heat down and keep at a low simmer.

Trim the woody stems from the asparagus, leaving just the top 6 inches or so. Slice the spears crosswise, on the bias, into thin little ovals 1/8 inch thick. Reserve.

Place the pine nuts in a large, dry skillet, and toast over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Once they start to turn brown, don't let them get black. When done, toss them in a bowl so they stop browning.

In a broad, heavy pot (make sure it is not aluminum or other reactive metal so that the wine won't give it an unpleasant taste), melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, covered, until tender but not browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the rice to the onion in the pot and, still cooking, stir for a minute or so to coat the grains of rice with butter.
Add the wine, and continue cooking and stirring until it is completely absorbed, a couple of minutes. Add 1 cup of the vegetable stock from the simmering pot, and cook, stirring frequently, until it is absorbed - should take 2 minutes or so. Add the rest of the stock in 1-cup amounts, cooking and stirring frequently until each cup is absorbed, and until you have added a total of 4 to 5 cups of stock - the rice at this point should be tender but still "toothy."

Cooking the asparagus - Between additions of stock, heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the little asparagus ovals and the garlic, and saute for about 1 minute, until tender. Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the pine nuts, and season with salt and pepper. Remember to keep an eye on the risotto, adding broth and stirring.

When the last of the stock has been absorbed in the risotto (now's the time to call everybody to the table), stir in the cream and the cheese - a good big handful. The texture should be smooth and creamy. Taste for salt and cheese, and adjust if necessary.

When your guests are ready and seated at the table, top the risotto with the stir-fried asparagus and pine nuts, spoon into warm bowls, and serve immediately.

Garnish with a bit of chopped fresh thyme or Italian parsley. Have extra grated cheese on the table.

Makes 4 robust servings.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-22-2013, 08:29 PM
thanks Mary
Can hardly wait to try it.
Will add ingrediens to my shopping list next visit to wegmans
what is aborio Italian rice and can I get it in a grocery store ?

Prettymaid
10-22-2013, 08:34 PM
TT, I grocery shop at Walmart and I'm able to get aborio rice in the rice section. Your store probably carries it.

MC, this sounds delicious. There are a couple other recipes here for risotto on page 6.

sad-cafe
10-22-2013, 09:51 PM
recipe please..i have a gluten allergy and am always looking for great ideas

Every Sunday I bake these boneless skinless chicken tenders so that hubby can just grab them to eat or use in recipes. I just spray a glass pan with non-stick cooking oil and then put seasoning salt over them, cover with foil and bake for a hour. Then I just bag the pieces individually.

Hubby's stir fry:

Stick noodles. It is a yellow box and says GF on it. Just follow directions on box to get them soft but do not use any of the spice packets that come with it.

cut 3-4 baked chicken tenders in bite size pieces
Can of mushrooms drained
1/2 bag of frozen peas
1 onion cut into strips
1 green pepper cut into strips
1 stalk of celery cubed up

1-2 tsp of rice wine vinegar
1 tsp olive oil

just fry all the ingredients in the olive oil to the desired tenderness. Put the rice wine vinegar and hoisin sauce if desired into a bowl. Dip the cooked noodles into the mixture to add the flavor, then add mixture and noodles into the same pan with all the vegies and chicken.

That is it. Hubby is never exact and uses what veggies we have on hand. Sometimes he will put water chestnuts or green beans into it. If we don't have GF stick noodles he may use rice.

really he just adds a little of this and that and tries not to make it too spicy hot for me.

MaryCalifornia
10-22-2013, 10:55 PM
thanks Mary
Can hardly wait to try it.
Will add ingrediens to my shopping list next visit to wegmans
what is aborio Italian rice and can I get it in a grocery store ?

Wegmans will definitely have that type of rice.

Ive always been a dreamer
10-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Those recipes sound very yummy. Thanks for posting them, MC and s-c. :thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-23-2013, 07:06 PM
wow gals thanks for sharing your great sounding gf recipes.

Always looking for new tried and true ideas.

I suck at cooking so wish me luck lol:laugh:

sad-cafe
11-22-2013, 10:41 PM
it is cold and wintery wet. A really bla type of day so

I fixed a huge pot of chili.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
11-22-2013, 10:44 PM
YOYO dinner. You're on your own.

zeldabjr
11-23-2013, 12:16 AM
I bought a cookbook with recipes from rock stars...because there was a recipe from Don Henley in it...His chili recipe...have to try it some time...

Tiffanny Twisted
11-23-2013, 12:27 AM
Sound like a great reason to buy a cookbook too me lol:hilarious:
besides the pictures ARE pretty cause nothing I make every looks like the pictures

EaglesKiwi
11-23-2013, 02:29 AM
I've actually found his chilli recipe online and made it. We enjoyed it, although I think I need a bit more practise (either that or I'll have to tweak it!).

zeldabjr
11-23-2013, 02:40 AM
Darn EK...if I had known I could find it online...I wouldn't have bought the dang book!!!..lol

sad-cafe
11-23-2013, 04:08 PM
oh how does he make it?

zeldabjr
11-23-2013, 09:47 PM
here's the link to Mr. Henley's chili recipe...

http://www.hotchili-mike.se/2recipes/chili/don_henleys_texas_chili.txt

sad-cafe
11-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Thank you! Will try it.

Brooke
11-25-2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks Z! I hadn't read Don's comments for a while! Too funny! :hilarious:

I don't know, it sounds like pretty hot chile to me!

sad-cafe
12-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Hubby went deer hunting this last week. Really roughing it. It paid off he got a 10 point buck. Wish I knew how to post pictures, it really is a beauty.

Said he lost 10 lbs during the hunt. I fixed his favorite fried chicken and mashed potatoes with chicken gravy and creamed corn. He hate two huge breasts and 2 thighs. He was so hungry.

We will have deer steaks, roasts, stew and the rest he had ground up to use in chili and spaghetti and different things.