PDA

View Full Version : Fast Company

Ive always been a dreamer
10-31-2008, 11:48 PM
First of all, before I posted this, I searched this forum for a thread on this song. Since we discussed the song in detail when it was released on the Farewell I bonus CD, I was very surprised to find that there wasn't a thread for it. The discussion must have taken place in another thread. Anyway, I wanted to start this thread to discuss the song. I'll start because the LROOE Survivor Game got me to thinking about this - is it just me or am I the only one who thinks Fast Company is a shared lead with Don singing the verses and Glenn singing the chorus? Now I know others are singing the chorus, but Glenn's voice is so dominant that I consider it a shared lead vocal. Since the LROOE credits don't help us out here, I was wondering if others agree.

sodascouts
11-01-2008, 01:38 AM
We discussed this song in the thread about new songs off of the Farewell 1 Bonus Disc (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190&page=3), so that's why you couldn't find an individual thread on it. That was certainly a Thanksgiving to remember! Hard to believe it's been almost two years.

I agree that it's a Don/Glenn shared lead. At first I thought it was just Don, but on the chorus, Glenn's vocal is much more audible.

Prettymaid
11-01-2008, 08:52 AM
So are you guys saying that the "talk to me" part is Glenn's vocal that we're hearing?

Mrs Henley
11-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Fast Company is indeed a shared song between Don & Glenn.
After 300 times listening I noticed Glenn's voice also.

PM, the "talk to me" part is Don.

sodascouts
11-01-2008, 10:45 AM
So are you guys saying that the "talk to me" part is Glenn's vocal that we're hearing?

No, I consider that the bridge. The chorus I refer to is simply "Fast company, fast company... you're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast" (repeat as needed). ;)

Prettymaid
11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
No, I consider that the bridge. The chorus I refer to is simply "Fast company, fast company... you're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast" (repeat as needed). ;)

:doh:I'm sorry, I consider that the bridge, too. I wasn't thinking. So Glenn comes in at the "everybody wanna be your friend" and at the same part in the folowing verses, right? And you're saying he sings during the chorus, which I'm sure he does, but which part? Is he the really low voice?

And let me just reiterate what I posted in the survivor thread. Don's vocal during the bridge is awesome! I love it! Wish I liked the whole song as much. :blush:

sodascouts
11-01-2008, 06:17 PM
I'm no expert in studio technique, but I think the "everybody wanna be your friend" / "where do I fit in" is Don with his voice manipulated a bit.

On the words "Fast Company, Fast Company / You're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast" Glenn's voice is the lower of the two, as Don is still singing falsetto. Glenn's voice has been turned up in the mix during that part and therefore dominates, which makes me think he is doing the lead there.

11-01-2008, 07:42 PM
I totally agree with your assessment there, Soda. Even though there is other background singing in the chorus, Glenn's is, by far, the dominant voice.

Mrs Henley
11-01-2008, 07:50 PM
It's really a great combination of those two great voices!

Freypower
11-02-2008, 07:45 PM
I disagree. Having a prominent part in the chorus doesn't make it a shared lead, and I don't think the vocal is as distinctlvely 'Glenn' as others do. You can still hear Don all over it. He sings lead.

You hear Glenn more on the 'everybody wanna be your friend' part, in my opinion. I've tried to convince myself the chorus is all Glenn with Don in the background, and I can't.

Peekaboo
11-02-2008, 08:13 PM
I gotta agree with Fp here. Although Glenn's voice is fairly distinct in parts of the song, especially on the chorus. I gotta go with Don being the only lead in this song.

sodascouts
11-02-2008, 08:31 PM
I've tried to convince myself the chorus is all Glenn with Don in the background, and I can't.

No need to try to convince yourself of anything. This isn't a value judgment. You either hear it or you don't.

Prettymaid
11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
You hear Glenn more on the 'everybody wanna be your friend' part, in my opinion.

This is where I hear Glenn, too. :singer:

Freypower
11-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Can I just add something here. If you want to make a case for Glenn having a shared lead vocal on Fast Company, you could also make it for both Centre Of The Universe and Long Road Out Of Eden, both of which feature his singing much more prominently than Fast Company, in my opinion. But I don't think anyone would seriously claim he shares the lead on those songs.

To me, if he's singing the main part of the chorus, he doesn't sound like himself, and neither does Don for most of the song, and that's what is wrong with the song.

11-04-2008, 12:12 AM
It is inexplicable to me how we can sometimes hear or see things so differently from others. FP, the one thing we agree on here is that there is no way I would claim that Glenn shares the lead on Center of the Universe and Long Road Out of Eden. However, there is also no way that I think COTU or LROOE features Glenn’s singing much more prominently than in Fast Company. In COTU or LROOE, Glenn’s voice is used to layer the vocals, but Henley’s voice remains dominant. In the Fast Company chorus, even though there are other voices harmonizing, they are very subdued and non-distinct. There is one voice in the chorus that is so dominant that I consider it a lead vocal. In my opinion, that is clearly Glenn’s voice.

ETA: The real question here for me is not whether or not Glenn's voice is dominant in the chorus, but whether is it dominant enough to be considered a lead vocal?

Prettymaid
11-04-2008, 08:46 AM
In the Fast Company chorus, even though there are other voices harmonizing, they are very subdued and non-distinct. There is one voice in the chorus that is so dominant that I consider it a lead vocal. In my opinion, that is clearly Glenn’s voice.

Technically, I think the chorus isn't really a harmonizing, but several people singing different octaves of the same notes.

I can't pick out Glenn's vocal in the chorus. This song does not have a shared lead, IMO.

Don't these questions just make you wish they would have done the whole dang album in concert?!!? :-D

sodascouts
11-04-2008, 11:00 AM
Technically, I think the chorus isn't really a harmonizing, but several people singing different octaves of the same notes.

Good point; maybe that's it. Since they're the same note, some of us hear the lower register more clearly.

I can't pick out Glenn's vocal in the chorus. This song does not have a shared lead, IMO. I don't know what the deal is - are there different mixes to these CDs - regular vs. Deluxe vs. digital? I can hear him so clearly on the chorus, but not on the "everybody wanna be your friend"! I'm listening to the commercial MP3s on my computer I bought off of their website.

TimothyBFan
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Soda---Love the avatar--where'd you get it?

sodascouts
11-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Soda---Love the avatar--where'd you get it?
From this really cool lady introduced to me by... hmm, can't seem to remember. ;)

Brooke
11-04-2008, 11:31 AM
That is quite an avatar, Soda! Love it! :pimp:

TimothyBFan
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
From this really cool lady introduced to me by... hmm, can't seem to remember. ;)

I showed Paula what you did with the pictures the other day and she was very impressed!! Said she's really glad she was able to make everyone so happy pulling out old pics like that. I passed on our thank yous once again.:)

Freypower
11-04-2008, 05:42 PM
It is inexplicable to me how we can sometimes hear or see things so differently from others. FP, the one thing we agree on here is that there is no way I would claim that Glenn shares the lead on Center of the Universe and Long Road Out of Eden. However, there is also no way that I think COTU or LROOE features Glenn’s singing much more prominently than in Fast Company. In COTU or LROOE, Glenn’s voice is used to layer the vocals, but Henley’s voice remains dominant. In the Fast Company chorus, even though there are other voices harmonizing, they are very subdued and non-distinct. There is one voice in the chorus that is so dominant that I consider it a lead vocal. In my opinion, that is clearly Glenn’s voice.

ETA: The real question here for me is not whether or not Glenn's voice is dominant in the chorus, but whether is it dominant enough to be considered a lead vocal?

In my opinion having a lead vocal only on a chorus does not mean it is a lead vocal.

Of all people, I should be agreeing with you that Glenn's voice dominates the chorus. But I don't. As I said, it does not sound enough like him.

sodascouts
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
FP, do you call Ol' 55 a duet? Don only sings lead on the bridge.... well, I call what Don does there "singing lead." Perhaps you wouldn't?

Freypower
11-04-2008, 11:02 PM
Yes, Ol' 55 is a duet, as is Doolin-Dalton, as is How Long, After The Thrill Is Gone, What Do I Do With My Heart, Teenage Jail. In those songs the second singer has an enitire verse or bridge of his own. At no time in Fast Company does Glenn sing on his own, and the chorus isn't long enough to call that a 'lead' when Don and Tim are obviously singing with him.

Compare Good Day In Hell and King Of Hollywood. Both singers have lead credits. In GDIH they both sing the entire song together except for their adlibs at the end. In KOH they sing the entire song except for the 'after a while' verse which Don sings alone. But in those, they are singing verses. Glenn does backing vocals in the Fast Company verses, no more.

sodascouts
11-05-2008, 12:06 AM
As far as I know, "lead vocal" is not defined as "singing on verses." One can sing lead and still sing only on choruses, if one's voice is significantly dominant. That is my opinion.

I'm not going to declare definitely that Glenn does or does not sing lead on the chorus. I believe he does, but everyone can decide for themselves.

Prettymaid
11-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Yes, Ol' 55 is a duet, as is Doolin-Dalton, as is How Long, After The Thrill Is Gone, What Do I Do With My Heart, Teenage Jail. In those songs the second singer has an enitire verse or bridge of his own. At no time in Fast Company does Glenn sing on his own, and the chorus isn't long enough to call that a 'lead' when Don and Tim are obviously singing with him.

Once again agreeing with FP here... :nod:

TimothyBFan
11-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Wow--you guys are making some good points here and really have me thinking. I listened to this song 3 times last night, and still can't agree one way or the other. So I, of inquiring mind, started googling this morning to see what others may think about Fast Company (I have a lot of spare time today-so I am warning you all now-this could be a day of pics and posts from me-I need a life!) and came up with a few things I hadn't seen before regarding this song and others on the album. Sorry if any of these you have seen before. Here are a few links.

http://www.smoothjazznow.com/review_eagles_long_road_out_of_eden.htm

http://dailyrepublic.typepad.com/wadingin/2007/11/eagles-newest-j.html

And this a review written by someone for Amazon reviews: "After Weeds, all the other would seem insubstantial but in true Eagles tradition the material all stands up. No More Cloudy Days will have its fans, followed by Henley doing his best Bee Gee's impression on Fast Company. This has a killer chorus and will grow on you. Next up is a piece of Schmit brilliance with Do Something, more like his Poco work & Frey closes with another highlight You Are Not Alone."

Henley doing his best Bee Gee's impression? What? LOL!

And a quote from a review from Undercover.com: "'Fast Company' – Eagles R&B? This one is different. As soon as he opens his mouth, Henley's falsetto tips you off that the Eagles were up for a left turn and this is the one."

I do know that I still really like this song--Love the R & B sound of it! My 2 cents!!

Freypower
11-05-2008, 06:08 PM
It's sort of a Bee Gees impression but it's less shrill than Barry Gibb can be.

Our fundamental disagreement is about how 'substantial' the chorus is and whether the vocal deserves to be classified as 'lead'. The chorus consists of the words 'fast company, fast company, you're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast' repeated several times. Compare that with the chorus of Lyin' Eyes, for instance. It isn't enough, in my opinion, to claim that whoever sings this deserves a lead vocal on the ENTIRE song - and that's what you're claiming, not just the chorus, but the whole song. You're saying that if there were a credit (which there isn't) it should be 'lead vocals by Don Henley and Glenn Frey'.

To me, much as I love Glenn, this whole premise is being very unfair to Don, who sings the song with some help from Glenn and possible Tim in the 'ooh ooh' part.

Peekaboo
11-06-2008, 03:15 AM
I'm on the side that this song is not a shared lead. I don't know much about all of the technical terms and stuff but (although Glenn's voice is heard in this song) his voice doesn't stand alone in this song to be considered a shared lead imo.

Maleah
11-07-2008, 12:09 AM

I can't pick out Glenn's vocal in the chorus. This song does not have a shared lead, IMO.

Gotta agree with everything here PM. That's exactly the way I see it (er..I guess it would be hear it lol) too!

eaglesvet
11-09-2008, 09:37 AM
Gotta agree with everything here PM. That's exactly the way I see it (er..I guess it would be hear it lol) too!
I have to agree here as well...I went back and listened again and again trying to convince myself otherwise, and just couldn't.

Brooke
11-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Just to add my 2 cents, I don't think it's a shared lead either. I really can't even distinguish Glenn's voice there at all. But it has to be somebody, so I guess it's him.

sodascouts
11-14-2012, 07:01 PM
While most of this thread is about vocals, we can talk about lyrics too!

The part that most intrigues me is the bridge. "Talk to me and help me try to remember how it feels to be so in doubt... Turn to me and help me try to remember that raging fire that the years put out."

It seems to be in direct contrast to the rest of the song, where he talks about he's "been around awhile" and is thus wiser (which is a good thing) rather than missing his youth. Wonder why they made that choice?

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 07:05 PM
While most of this thread is about vocals, we can talk about lyrics too!

The part that most intrigues me is the bridge. "Talk to me and help me try to remember how it feels to be so in doubt... Turn to me and help me try to remember that raging fire that the years put out."

It seems to be in direct contrast to the rest of the song, where he talks about he's "been around awhile" and is thus wiser (which is a good thing) rather than missing his youth. Wonder why they made that choice?

Perhaps they don't miss their youth, but they do miss the passion of youth? At least, that's how it is with me. I look back and see the stupid mistakes that just a little wisdom could have kept from happening, but I miss the young woman who was so in love with life and everything in it.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 11:46 AM
Here's the lyrics for this one.

Hey, where you going?
Now, what's the rush?
You listen here
Now, you just hush
I know what you think
"Old man don’t know anything"
But I've been around a while
I know what's happening

Everybody wanna check you out
Everybody wanna be your friend
And all this pressure
Where do I fit in?
They don't know nothin' you don't know
Ain't got nothing you ain't got
But you keep on runnin', you keep on runnin' with the

Fast company
Fast company
You're going nowhere, you're going nowhere fast
Fast company
Fast company

Now it's alright
To have some fun
This is your time
Your life has just begun
You're racin' out the door
Don't have very much to say
Your motor's runnin' hot
You can't wait to get away

Lookin' up the road ahead
You can't see very far
Remember where you come from
Remember who you are
Be careful what you say
Be careful who you trust
This world is beautiful
This world is dangerous

Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
You're going nowhere, you're going nowhere...

Talk to me and help me try to remember
How it feels to be so in doubt
Turn to me and help me try to remember
That ragin' fire that the years put out
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company
Fast company

This is one of my favorite songs off of LROOE. I know a lot of people do not agree. I've tried to figure out, whenever we start talking about lyrics vs. music, which one it is for me that makes me like a song or take more notice and I've come to the conclusion I still don't know. Some times it's the lyrics, others, the music itself. This is definitely one of those music songs. It's so funky right from the beginning, that I know that's what I noticed first.

As for the lyrics, I've always thought of it as them (the older men) giving those young whipper snappers some advice with their vast knowledge after all these years.

The line that makes me think this is in the first verse,
I know what you think
"Old man don’t know anything"

Then with the rest of the song being advice to these young people, telling them "I know what you're thinking, going through, feeling... I've been there, done that.".

As for the line Soda quoted, how about after all the advice and talking about what it was like to be young, he's become somewhat nostalgic?

For someone who claimed to not usually analyze the music, I sure am on a roll today, aren't I? :hilarious: Loving the idea of these threads. Good job PM! :thumbsup: Glad I have some spare time this morning to go through all of these.

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 01:31 PM
For someone who claimed to not usually analyze the music, I sure am on a roll today, aren't I? :hilarious: Loving the idea of these threads. Good job PM! :thumbsup: Glad I have some spare time this morning to go through all of these.

PM is on overload! Smoke is coming out of my ears! :hilarious: I will try to get back to this song eventually.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 01:35 PM
PM is on overload! Smoke is coming out of my ears! :hilarious: I will try to get back to this song eventually.

You better because it's all your fault!!! :hilarious:

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 11:28 PM
This is a "to thine own self be true" song for those in their impressionable years. No matter who you meet, no matter what they say, don't forget who you are. Don't go with the flow. Be careful.

As much as I love the lyrics to this song, that's how much I dislike the music and vocals, except for the 'Talk to me' part. I'm not sure who Don is channeling there, but that part just does it for me. Mmmmmm mmmmm!!!!!

As far as the 'talk to me' lyric, it doesn't sound like he misses how it feels to be so in doubt. He just wants to remember so that he can relate to this 'youngster'. But he does acknowledge that as he's grown older his "fire" has gone out, and he'd like to remember what that feels like.

Well, that's the most I've ever paid to those lyrics! This process is working!

EaglesKiwi
11-16-2012, 05:28 AM
This is a "to thine own self be true" song for those in their impressionable years. No matter who you meet, no matter what they say, don't forget who you are. Don't go with the flow. Be careful.
Totally agree. I also see it as being particularly relevant coming from a parent to their teenager. (i.e. I relate to it myself!!)

This is a direct appeal to the kid to just open their mouth and TALK already!! Does any teenager ever think their parents can understand them? I feel like we are perpetually trying to communicate with ours and he has shut us out because he's finding his own path through life. Like any parent I guess, I just wanna be there to help. And yes, I've been through it myself, but it was a few years ago, so I can totally relate to the "help me try to remember" because I can't really go back to being the self-doubting but oh-so-idealistic (the ragin' fire) person I once was.

Wow, guess this one really hits home for me. :grin:

I do also like it musically and I like the way Don sings it. I'm glad there's only one song on the album with that falsetto, but I quite like it for a change. 8)

PS My father of course was completely incapable of understanding me, and had no idea what he was talking about when he tried to tell me that school would be over in a few years and I'd never see those people again... :crazy: :rofl:

Houston Debutante
12-01-2012, 02:56 PM
Having a prominent part in the chorus doesn't make it a shared lead, and I don't think the vocal is as distinctlvely 'Glenn' as others do. You can still hear Don all over it. He sings lead.

Agreed. This is a Don lead. I can hear Glenn but to me it sounds like a typical backing vocal.

This is another song where they're trying something different, maybe not 100 percent successful but it's good to try.

sodascouts
12-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Yeah, I gave in to peer pressure and listed it as a Don lead on the song page. So be it!

Henley Honey
12-01-2012, 07:24 PM

Teenage angst fades in remembered intensity with experience and age. We could all use a little reminder every now and then of how unsettling it was. We'd have more compassion if we did, IMO.

The flash fire exhuberance of youth also fades. I'm still excited when I get a new car, but my reaction now is staid compared to the "shot out of a cannon" excitement I felt putting the key into my '72 Buick Skylark Convertable.

12-01-2012, 10:06 PM
The flash fire exhuberance of youth also fades. I'm still excited when I get a new car, but my reaction now is staid compared to the "shot out of a cannon" excitement I felt putting the key into my 1979 Buick Skylark Convertable.

Ain't it the truth - It's been a very long time since I've experienced a 'first'! :wink: :wink:

And I'm one who still thinks Glenn's voice in the chorus is so dominant that I consider it a lead vocal, but obviously, I'm in the minority here about this.