PDA

View Full Version : What Are You Reading?

The_Girl_Of_Summer
11-02-2008, 07:31 PM
I know I haven't been around much lately, mostly because of the crazy amount of reading I have to do for school. So I thought that i would start a thred about what you are reading now or have read recently. Tell what you think of it and if you would recomend it. So I guess I'll start:

I just finished 1984 by George Orwell again. It's a pretty good book.

Also we've been reading The Metamorphosis by Fraz Kafka. This was, to say the least, interesting.

Right now I'm reading Johnny Got His Gun by Dalton Trumbo. Its a really good book, kind of sad, but worth the read.

Freypower
11-02-2008, 08:16 PM
Hardy's The Return Of The Native and I'm about to start Conrad's Nostromo.

DonFan
11-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I love biographies and autobiographies, so right now I am reading Robert Wagner's "Pieces of My Heart." I have always liked his TV shows, from "It Takes a Thief" to "Hart to Hart."

Prettymaid
11-03-2008, 08:42 AM
Although I am not currently reading it (read it earlier this year) I cannot recommend enough Paint it Black by Janet Fitch. She is also the author of White Oleander. You will walk away from it acknowledging the worthiness of every single life.
(Oh, and it has nothing to do with The Stones - it is fiction)

TimothyBFan
11-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Pure trash for me--Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews. I love mindless, sexy romance novels -what can I say. Guess that's why I'm love Ticky's Long Story!! :thumbsup:

Mrs Henley
11-03-2008, 09:31 AM
A book about Flash, for college..jeez, it's crap! :-x

ticky
11-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Pure trash for me--Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews. I love mindless, sexy romance novels -what can I say. Guess that's why I'm love Ticky's Long Story!! :thumbsup:

I loved Mary Kay Andrews whole Savannah Series, Willie! *G* Great books!

Right now I dont have any books going (highly unusual for me) but there are two Im planning on reading soon. Both by Dai Sijie. One is Balzac and the Little Chinese Mistress and the other it Mr. Mao's Traveling Couch Someday when I find the time, I'll get around to it again *G*

Prettymaid
11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
I
Someday when I find the time, I'll get around to it again *G*

You're too busy writing The Long Story right now!

ticky
11-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Ya! trying to keep up with my head.. *G* too many ideas, not enough typing!

Glennsallnighter
12-31-2008, 05:18 AM
I'm reading 'The Appeal' by John Grisham

Tessa
12-31-2008, 08:44 AM
Dean Koontz - The Husband

And I'm reading this book in English, because a friend from Texas sent it for Christmas.

sodascouts
12-31-2008, 08:58 PM
Just finish Philippa Gregory's The Virgin's Lover about Queen Elizabeth I and Robert Dudley. Great read!

Freypower
01-01-2009, 07:00 PM
I've never read Philippa Gregory. I go way back to Jean Plaidy. Her equivalent of the Elizabeth/Leicester story was called Gay Lord Robert. I still have all my Jean Plaidy books which were bought at W.H. Smith in Bromley, Kent (and some on Victoria Station). This is back in 1972-73.

SweetHolly
01-02-2009, 09:18 PM
I've recently read a ton of books. There were several by Danielle Steel I hadn't read yet so I checked them out from the library. I also checked out Felder's book and read it. Then I got Brian Wilson's autobiography and a biography about Brian and I've read them.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-03-2009, 01:34 AM
I just finished "Wild Fire" by Nelson Demille. I was going to start his new book, "The Gate House" but I read a review that it is a sequel to the "Gold Coast". There is a trip to the Library in my near future.

Glennhoney
01-03-2009, 10:02 AM
..I just finished reading "Cathedral" by Nelson Demille and am now reading Anita Shreve's "Testimony"...

Prettymaid
01-03-2009, 10:18 AM
I just finished "Wild Fire" by Nelson Demille. I was going to start his new book, "The Gate House" but I read a review that it is a sequel to the "Gold Coast". There is a trip to the Library in my near future.

For the past two years I have put books on my Christmas list. I don't even give them titles - I just tell them to get fiction. That way I can read more authors. Anyway, this year I got both Gold Coast (which I've just started) and The Gate House from two different people! I've never read Nelson DeMille before, and only discovered in the intro to Gold Coast that The Gate House is a sequel. So I'm all set!

Glennhoney
01-03-2009, 10:33 AM
..Nelson Demille is a very good author..I've read all his books..and they're all good...

TimothyBFan
01-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Everyone I know knows how much I love music and books so it is inevitable every year that I get gift cards, this year ended up with a couple about $85.00 to Barnes & Noble. Spent about $60.00 last weekend on about 7 books (a few off the bargain shelf made the $$ go farther). Just got done reading The Encyclopedia of Heavy Metal. Pretty cool!!

TimothyBFan
03-19-2009, 01:54 PM
Have any of you read the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer? My daughter got Twilight for Christmas and it was sitting out after I had finished my last book so I decided to pick it up and see what all the hoopla is about. I must admit, I am completely hooked now and can't wait to get to the other 3 after this one. Have not seen the movie yet but will as soon as I finish this one. I know it is geared toward teens but hey, wasn't Harry Potter for preteens and they are some of my favorites!

sodascouts
03-19-2009, 02:18 PM
I have two friends who are totally into Twilight (ages 27 and 31) and they've been attempting to get me into it too, but I've been blowing it off. Maybe I should give it a try!

Troubadour
03-19-2009, 02:21 PM
I haven't read Twilight either, but I know quite a few women who are raving about it! I'm reading In Cold Blood (Truman Capote.) I've wanted to read it for a long time, and only just got around to it.

ticky
03-19-2009, 02:29 PM
Im pretty excited about the new Christopher Moore book, Fool. If you're familiar with Chris Moore, you might know Lamb; The Gospel according to Biff where he takes on the missing years of Christ as seen through his best friend Biff. Yeah, it's pretty irreverent, just my kind of thing *G* but it's very funny.
Fool is Moore's take on The Bard of Avon. Having been a Shakespeare buff from Jr. High School, I am really excited about reading this. Moore's twisted sense of humor and take on things really makes me question old certainties. I highly recommend anything by Moore, if you like reading humor.

TimothyBFan
03-19-2009, 02:49 PM
I have two friends who are totally into Twilight (ages 27 and 31) and they've been attempting to get me into it too, but I've been blowing it off. Maybe I should give it a try!

You and I have similar taste in reading so I think you would like them. Glad to know I'm not "too old" to read them if your other friends are also into them. :hilarious:

melrose
03-19-2009, 03:39 PM
TBF, I've read Twilight! I had a friend who was obsessed with it and was getting frustrated because she had no one to discuss it with. So, I figured I would read it. Besides, she puts up with my Eagles talk ALL the time ;-) I might as well level the playing field. I couldn't put it down.

Troubadour, I read In Cold Blood a couple of months ago, I loved it. You'll have to tell us what you think of it.

Troubadour
03-19-2009, 03:58 PM
I will do, melrose! I'm a few chapters in and I am gripped. It's so vivid. I'm a fan of detail.

Stars
03-19-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm reading "Empire Falls" by Richard Russo. I recently saw the movie and was so taken with it, I began reading the book. He won a Pulitzer Prize for this novel, and as I'm reading it, I can see why. I highly recommend it, and the movie too!:thumbsup:

Koala
03-20-2009, 02:58 AM
I´m reading at the moment Exposed from Alex Kava, before it I have read
the biographies of Eric Clapton (The Autobiography) and genesis (chapter & verses), both very interesting!

Freypower
03-20-2009, 07:12 PM
Im pretty excited about the new Christopher Moore book, Fool. If you're familiar with Chris Moore, you might know Lamb; The Gospel according to Biff where he takes on the missing years of Christ as seen through his best friend Biff. Yeah, it's pretty irreverent, just my kind of thing *G* but it's very funny.
Fool is Moore's take on The Bard of Avon. Having been a Shakespeare buff from Jr. High School, I am really excited about reading this. Moore's twisted sense of humor and take on things really makes me question old certainties. I highly recommend anything by Moore, if you like reading humor.

Ticky, you and I may have to exchange some thoughts on Will Shakespeare at some time. The man is my ultimate, and I mean ultimate, hero. The book sounds interesting.

My current reading is Hugo's Les Miserables. After years of avoiding it I find it to be a potboiler which is a good read, but it's hardly in the same class as the Russian writers, for instance.

I also have a series of books with the following titles:

1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die
1001 Albums You Mus Hear Before You Die
1001 Books You Must Read...
1001 Paintings You Must See...
1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear...
1001 Historic Sites You Must See...
1001 Dates That Shaped The World

and I'm going to painstakingly work my way through those again.

glenneaglesfan
03-21-2009, 06:38 PM
FP, I think I could really appreciate your list of 1001 paintings. I love art, particularly Turner and all Renaissance painting. I'm not so good on literature, movies and poetry.

I just joined a bookclub. The first book I had to read was 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe". I really enjoyed the book, but when I turned up for the evening we didn't really discuss it at all, just what to read next.

One of the best things about this book was the reference to a gospel hymn..."We shall meet on that beautiful shore by and by"....<Sigh>... Got me looking things up, and Johnny Cash did a version of that gospel song, but for me it will always remind me of the Sad Cafe,

Glennhoney
03-21-2009, 08:20 PM
..I just read "The Shack"....did anybody read this book...and what did you think of it?

AzEaglesFan
03-22-2009, 03:44 AM
I'm reading The Shack right now but I'm not far enough along.

TimothyBFan
03-22-2009, 09:15 PM
FP-- I've got the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear... I love it. Seeing all the cover art and all is really neat.

Brooke
03-23-2009, 04:10 PM
I just joined a bookclub. The first book I had to read was 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe". I really enjoyed the book, but when I turned up for the evening we didn't really discuss it at all, just what to read next.

One of the best things about this book was the reference to a gospel hymn..."We shall meet on that beautiful shore by and by"....<Sigh>... Got me looking things up, and Johnny Cash did a version of that gospel song, but for me it will always remind me of the Sad Cafe,

Gef, I haven't read the book, but this movie was fantastic! It's one of my all time favorites.

Troubadour
03-23-2009, 05:14 PM
I was about to mention the film too, Brooke! It's great - perfect Sunday afternoon viewing.