PDA

View Full Version : Jack Tempchin

sodascouts
11-13-2008, 01:44 PM
A new album from Glenn's long-time collaborator (not to mention contributor to Eagles albums, including LROOE). More info here (http://top40-charts.com/news/Country/Eagles-Songwriter-Jack-Tempchin-New-Solo-Effort-Titled-SONGS-Due-November-18-2008/44177.html).

sodascouts
11-21-2008, 07:37 PM
Tempchin's also doing some shows - one in California. More info here (http://www.towncrier.com/stories/story.3.20081120.html).

glenneaglesfan
11-22-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the links, Soda. I'll look out for that on Amazon.

sodascouts
11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Another Tempchin show on Dec. 14 in Solona Beach, with Dave Mason. More info here (http://www.musicforte.com/mus_view_more_blog.php?bid=2450).

sodascouts
12-13-2008, 12:26 AM
This is a combo Jack Tempchin / JD Souther piece that mentions Glenn:

From North Country Times (http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2008/12/09/entertainment/music/zea368e2dac41fa9d882575130059efcb.txt)

Their paths first crossed at an open mic in San Diego 3 1/2 decades ago, and both found fleeting fame after separately penning hits for the Eagles. In the years since, they've pursued their own musical paths, mostly existing under the pop culture radar and occasionally turning out a solo album.

Given that old pals J.D. Souther and Jack Tempchin record only sporadically, what are the odds that both men would issue new albums within a couple of weeks of each other?

Pretty long odds, said Souther by phone from his home in Nashville, Tenn., where he'd just gotten a copy of Tempchin's new disc, "Songs." Tempchin, who has called Encinitas home for the past 14 years after living his whole life in San Diego proper, also allowed that it was a pretty weird coincidence that Souther's "If the World Was You" had come out right on the heels of his own album.

As to how they met, Souther (who's in town Dec. 10 for a show at Acoustic Music San Diego) said it was shortly after he had moved to L.A. from his childhood home in west Texas, when he was playing in San Diego regularly with future Eagle Glenn Frey.

"Glenn and I were down there all the time playing at those clubs ---- the Candy Company and the Heritage, the Belly Up. We played everything down there when we first started, when we were playing for free at open mics.

"We were all broke, and Jack had a big old house we used to stay in. That's where we know each other from.

"I think I played more gigs in San Diego that first year than I did in L.A. I think it was a great city ---- I often considered moving down there for sheer quality of life: great Mexican food and the dog-friendliest beach in America."

Tempchin was born and raised in San Diego, graduating from Crawford High and San Diego State with a degree in psychology.

But while in college, he fell in love with music and began playing around town.

"I was living in a garage, so I didn't have very many expenses when I went to college. At that time, they had coffeehouses ---- I worked at several of those doing the hoot nights, being the host when people sit in. That's how I made a living during college."

It was during this period that he began writing his own songs, performing them on harmonica and vocals.

"I always wrote my own stuff, because learning other people's songs was quite difficult ---- so I just started making up my own.

"From the second song I wrote onwards, I would play them in the coffeehouses, and other musicians would ask if they could learn them and play them. A guy named Ted Stock started playing my songs around town and people were saying how great it was, so I asked him to show me how to play it on guitar and he said, 'No way, that's my arrangement.' "

Souther's introduction to music started at birth.

"My dad was a big-band crooner; that's what we played in our house. That's what I heard until I started bringing rock 'n' roll and rockabilly home."

Even though Souther is best known for co-writing country-rock songs with the Eagles ("The Best of My Love," "Heartache Tonight," "New Kid in Town"), Roy Orbison ("Coming Home") and James Taylor ("Her Town Too"), he said the jazz that infuses his new record has been present throughout his career.

"I've never really been able to distinguish very much between different styles of music having more value than another. I was playing what they used to call pickups or casuals with jazz players in their 30s when I was 14, 15.

"I always wanted to be a really good band leader; the guys I always admired were guys like Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Stan Kenton."

And it was the modern jazz of his youth that in large part shaped his musical philosophy, Souther said.

"Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Gil Evans and the Dave Brubeck Quartet changed my musical outlook."

For Tempchin, who wrote ("Peaceful Easy Feeling") or co-wrote ("Already Gone") two hits for the Eagles, joining Johnny Rivers' cover of "Slow Dancin'" and lesser-known gems like Glen Campbell's reading of "Rollin' (In My Sweet Baby's Arms)," the collapse of the big-label model of the music business and the rise of the Internet as distribution network has been both blessing and challenge.

"I think the Internet definitely makes it more democratic. I just finished working with a gal from Korea and a guy from Ireland who flew to Hollywood to work with me last week; they had not met each other other than through MySpace and then Skype."

And the new record was released on his own label, Night River. Tempchin said he likes the control of owning everything himself, but he admitted that the marketing muscle of the labels in the old days had a certain appeal to musicians.

"Nowadays, I just put it up for sale on the Internet, and I have a distribution deal so it will be in stores as well. The real challenge is to just somehow have the public have the opportunity to hear it."

Souther, too, released his new album on his own label ---- and said he likes the way the music business works in the age of the Internet.

"I'm happy to be in the situation I'm in. I own my own record company, my own publishing, my own masters, and I have a great distribution deal.

"I get to do what I want ---- I'm perfectly happy to live without the big advance."

Jack Tempchin

When: 8 p.m. Dec. 9

Where: Calypso Cafe, 576 N Coast Highway 101, Leucadia

Admission: Free (dinner reservations suggested)

Info: (760) 632-8252 or calypsocafe.net (http://calypsocafe.net/)

Web: tempchin.com (http://tempchin.com/)

J.D. Souther

When: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 10

Where: Acoustic Music San Diego, 4650 Mansfield St. (Normal Heights United Methodist Church), San Diego

Tickets: sold out

Info: (619) 303-8176 or acousticmusicsandiego.com (http://acousticmusicsandiego.com/)

Web: jdsouther.net (http://jdsouther.net/)

sodascouts
12-31-2008, 05:58 PM
Another interview, this time from the San Diego Reader (http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2008/dec/30/jack-tempchin/) (click link for photo):

“I’ve lived in San Diego all my life,” says singer-songwriter Jack Tempchin, “and I consider it my city — although I don’t mind sharing it with a few million people.”

Before writing songs for the Eagles and others, Tempchin lived in Banker’s Hill in 1970-’71. He often performed at a Mission Beach watering hole called the Heritage (where, for a time, Tom Waits manned the door).

In 1971, Tempchin managed SDSU’s Backdoor theater. While eating lunch one day at Der Wienerschnitzel on Washington and First in Hillcrest, inspired by “two pretty girls walking by,” he began writing the lyrics to “Peaceful Easy Feeling” on the back of a concert flyer. Friend and fellow musician Glenn Frey brought the song to his band the Eagles in 1972. The group recorded Tempchin’s “Already Gone” in 1973.

Every time the Eagles rerelease either song, Tempchin receives songwriter royalties. The Eagles’ album Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975), featuring both tunes, has sold 27 million copies, making it one of the ten best-selling albums ever, according to the Recording Industry Association of America.
Tempchin’s songs have been covered by locals the Paladins and Chris Hillman, as well as by George Jones, Glen Campbell, Tanya Tucker, Emmylou Harris, and Trisha Yearwood. Now living in Encinitas, Tempchin recently released a solo CD, Songs, which includes his new version of “Smuggler’s Blues,” cowritten with Glenn Frey and featured prominently in the TV show Miami Vice in the ’80s.

WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO?
1. “My friend Meiko was the bartender at the Hotel Cafe in Hollywood, where I hang out. I didn’t know she was such a great songwriter and performer until I got her new album Meiko, which is a hit on the iTunes store.”
2. “Fishtank Ensemble is a band with a gypsy violinist. They’re an amazing group, unlike most anything I’ve ever heard. I’ve been playing their Samurai over Serbia album.”
3. “The Phantom Blues Band, featuring the incredible Mike Finnigan on vocals, recorded one of my songs on their album Out of the Shadows, which is great. They’re also the backup band for Taj Mahal.”
4. “Joe Sublett’s new solo album, Subtones, is instrumental and perfect for when you want to set a mood. He plays saxophone with the Rolling Stones and everybody else.”
5. “My longtime friend J.D. Souther has a new album called If the World Was You, and I can’t get enough of the song ‘I’ll Be Here at Closing Time.’ ”

WHAT ARE YOU READING?
1. “The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein is a fantastic book. It tells how to recognize the three prongs of the corporate-devil’s pitchfork. One, eliminate all public services, like parks, beaches, [and] health care. Two, deregulate all business. Three, privatize everything, from toll roads to the water supply. This leads to people being either very rich or very poor and the end of democracy and freedom.”
2. “A Princess of Mars is a great pulp fantasy by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the writer of the Tarzan books. If you have an iPhone, you can download it and thousands of other books free and read them on your iPhone with the free Stanza program.”
3. “The Dumarest of Terra series is perhaps my favorite pulp science-fiction books of all time. The series consists of 32 books by E.C. Tubb that almost no one knows about. The more you read them, the better they get!”
4. “The Outfit by Richard Stark is part of the Parker book series. The movie Payback and five other films have been made from the Parker books. The main character is a very bad person. You wouldn’t want to meet him, but he’s great to read about.”
5. “The Golden Section: Nature’s Greatest Secret by Scott Olsen is about a mathematical relationship known to everyone from Pythagoras to Leonardo da Vinci. This relationship appears everywhere in nature, and the book claims that it’s the secret of everything. It contains the ultimate mumbo and jumbo, except it’s all math, and it’s all true.”

LENNON OR McCARTNEY?
“Lennon credited McCartney with writing almost all the songs. They were both great on their own, but neither they nor anyone else ever achieved anything close to what they did together.”

DRINK OF CHOICE?
“PG Tips tea with heavy cream.”

SOMETHING ABOUT YOU FEW KNOW ABOUT?
“When no one is around and I straighten up, I am very tall. When people are around, I slouch down, to make them more comfortable.”

sodascouts
01-04-2009, 02:07 AM
Tempchin's got a show coming up:

Time: January 5, 2009 9:00PM
Location: Dublin Square, 554 Fourth Ave, San Diego, California 92101

And... best of all...

It's FREE!

sodascouts
01-24-2009, 01:27 AM
Another article:

Eagles Songwriter Emerges with New Album (http://www.spinner.com/2009/01/23/eagles-songwriter-reemerges-with-new-album/)

Eagles (http://www.spinner.com/tag/Eagles/) songwriter Jack Tempchin may hold the rare distinction of being able to write a song over the telephone based on someone else's dream. That's what happened when he wrote the ballad 'Box of Memories,' with keyboardist Bobby Whitlock, about a girl and her possessions.

"[Bobby] just started telling me the whole dream," Tempchin recalls to Spinner, "and I was writing it down. Everything in the song is absolutely from his dream. By the end of the phone conversation we had written the song."

It is indicative of Tempchin's talent: The San Diego-based artist penned two of the Eagles' most popular songs in the '70s: 'Peaceful Easy Feeling' and 'Already Gone.' He later co-wrote several of Eagles founder Glenn Frey's big solo hits in the '80s including 'Smuggler's Blues' and 'You Belong to the City.' But few probably know that Tempchin is also a singer who has recorded seven albums since 1977, including the recent 'Songs,' his first work of original material in 12 years.

"I've always been performing but I never really emphasized that part of my career," Tempchin, 61, says. "I just made this album and I realized if people don't know who you are, they can't come to the show."

Songs contains eclectic styles including rock, romantic Parisian pop, country and Latin influences. Along with 'Box of Memories,' it features Tempchin's rendition of 'Smuggler's Blues,' which was originally recorded by Glenn Frey from 1983. "Towards the end of the album I realized I hadn't done any of the hits that I've written," says Tempchin. "I think it's still means just as much, if not more, in a whole world that's just going the wrong way on drug control."

The friendship with Frey began around the time Tempchin was playing the San Diego coffeehouses during the folk era. "[He and J.D. Souther] used to stay with me at my big house down in San Diego with a lot of hippies living there," Tempchin recalls. His biggest break came in the early '70s when he wrote 'Peaceful Easy Feeling,' inspired by his attempt to get a waitress's attention at a coffeehouse in El Centro.

"She went home and I ended up sleeping on the floor of the [place]," he says. "I wrote the first verse there. I came back to San Diego and met some other girls and I put them in the song. There was a Wienerschnitzel on Washington Boulevard, and I remember walking with my little $13 Stella guitar and writing the last verse."

He was visiting Jackson Browne's home when Frey dropped in. Tempchin performed the song he wrote for Frey's tape recorder. "[Glenn] came back the next day and said, 'Well, Jack, I got a new band. We've been together for eight days, and we just worked up your song.' Then he played it for me on the cassette [player]. He went to England and recorded [the Eagles] first album."

When the Eagles broke up in the early '80s, Frey collaborated with Tempchin for most of his solo career. Tempchin recalls a time when he came over to Frey's house where there was candlelight and a bottle of wine. "Glenn had a way of romancing a song," he says. "Then we hit an idea and all of a sudden, 'Whammo! Wow that's good!' I learned a lot about songwriting from him."

In the late '90s, Jay-Z (http://www.spinner.com/tag/JayZ/) and Coolio sampled 'You Belong to the City' and 'Smuggler's Blues' for their songs, respectively. "It was a pretty big thrill," Tempchin says with a chuckle, "to see my music re-circulated, although in a really different form. That feels pretty good."

Tempchin is still actively writing: his most recent composing credits are on the Eagles' last album 'Long Road Out of Eden.' He's been performing on the West Coast and hanging out at the Hotel Café, a music place in Los Angeles. "It's kind of like the early Troubadour bar scene over there," he says. "I'm so thankful to be back in the music scene where everyone is just into the music."

Brooke
01-24-2009, 11:55 AM
That was very interesting. Thanks Soda.

What a talented man! It's just amazing to me how all these people knew each other back in the late 60's and 70's.

Prettymaid
01-24-2009, 04:03 PM
Love the part about Peaceful Easy Feeling.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-24-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for posting this, Soda. It was very interesting. Here was my favorite part:

Tempchin recalls a time when he came over to Frey's house where there was candlelight and a bottle of wine. "Glenn had a way of romancing a song," he says. "Then we hit an idea and all of a sudden, 'Whammo! Wow that's good!' I learned a lot about songwriting from him.":fainting:

Freypower
01-26-2009, 06:57 PM
I know, Dreamer, I know.:hug: :shy:

GlennLover
07-31-2009, 08:10 PM
I found an interesting radio interview with Jack Tempchin. Although most of it is about the legalization of marijuana (which is informative), there are some interesting Eagle tidbits, mainly about his collaboration & friendship with Glenn. Once you access the link, you have to scroll down and click on "Hear our interview by clicking here".

http://www.radioornot.blogspot.com/2009/06/pot-politics-music-and-humor.html

sodascouts
08-13-2009, 08:08 PM
More Tempchin!

Jack Is One of the Greats (http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/aug/13/8216jack-one-greats8217/?features&zIndex=148448) by George Varga

Jack Tempchin, who performs Wednesday at the Birch Aquarium in La Jolla with his band, should merit at least a few chapters when the definitive history of rock 'n' roll in San Diego is compiled.

A mainstay of the local scene since the 1960s, when he and musical pal Tom Waits completed the song “Tijuana” just moments before first performing it on stage, Tempchin managed the Back Door at SDSU during its heyday in the late 1960s and early 1970s. He later co-owned the Stingaree in Encinitas, one of North County's most popular live-music clubs.

His first band of note, the Funky Kings, recorded a lone album — 1976's “Funky Kings” on Arista Records — that was so full of terrific songs, including the future chart-topper “Slow Dancin',” that stardom seemed assured. They were promised as much by Arista president Clive Davis, the man who'd previously signed such budding stars as Janis Joplin, Santana, Chicago, Aerosmith and Earth, Wind & Fire.

“When the Funky Kings finished making our album, Clive sat us down in a bungalow at the Beverly Hills Hotel,” Tempchin recalled. “He said, ‘Look, you guys, you're all going to be hugely famous, and I hope you can handle it.’ Why that didn't happen, I still don't know.”

Yet, while fame eluded Tempchin, he struck gold as one of pop's most gifted and prolific songwriters. And while his latest album, 2007's self-produced “Songs,” is only his third solo outing since 1978, its title captures the essence of what he does best.

Indeed, it is Tempchin's gently infectious songs that strike a resounding chord with listeners, especially the versions recorded by other artists.
His songwriting credits include Johnny Rivers' “Slow Dancin' (Swayin' to the Music)” and The Eagles' “Already Gone” and “Peaceful Easy Feeling.” Together with Glenn Frey, whom he met here in the late 1960s before Frey joined The Eagles, Tempchin co-wrote “Smuggler's Blues” and “You Belong to the City” (which later were sampled on records by hip-hop stars Coolio and Jay-Z, respectively).

Other artists who have recorded songs by Tempchin over the years range from George Jones and Emmylou Harris to Richie Havens and such San Diego-bred artists as The Paladins and former Byrds member Chris Hillman. Songs written or co-written by Tempchin have been featured on the soundtracks of such films as “The Big Lebowski” and “Thelma and Louise.” He also co-wrote the “Seventh Heaven” TV series theme song.
“Jack is one of the greats,” said fellow San Diego troubadour Steve Poltz, during a Sunday songwriting panel with Tempchin at the North Park Music Thing.

“I used to hear (The Eagles') ‘Already Gone’ and ‘Peaceful Easy Feeling’ all the time, and they didn't do a lot for me. But then I heard Jack do them live at the old Casbah (in the early 1990s) and he owned those songs. It was the same with ‘Slow Dancin'.’ I didn't think much (of Rivers' version), but when Jack did it, it was the sexiest song I've ever heard.”

A San Diego native who now splits his time between Encinitas and Los Angeles, Tempchin celebrated his 36th wedding anniversary on Aug. 5. For the past decade, he has performed most Tuesday nights at Calypso Cafe in Encinitas with his local band, Rocket Science. For his 21-and-up Green Flash concert series gig Wednesday night at La Jolla's Birch Aquarium, he'll play with his four-man Los Angeles band, which features Neil Young bassist Rick Rosas and guitarist Burton Averre of The Knack.

“I always thought of myself as a performer,” Tempchin said. “I didn't think of being a writer until I wrote a bunch of songs and people said: ‘Hey, I'd like to sing that.’ After a while, I thought, ‘Maybe I can be a songwriter.’ ”
In 1967, Tempchin befriended Frey after the future Eagle began playing gigs here with J.D. Souther. Tempchin invited the duo to crash at his combination “hippie pad and candle factory” in North Park, and he and Frey became fast friends.

Tempchin co-wrote two songs on 2007's “Long Road Out of Eden,” The Eagles' first new studio album since 1979. With two of his earlier songs featured on “Eagles Greatest Hits 1971-1975,” which has sold nearly 30 million copies in the U.S. alone, he could have retired long ago. But his passion for making music continues unabated.

“I'm 62, but nobody wants to quit,” said Tempchin, who laments the lack of opportunities for young and veteran singer-songwriters alike.
“In the 1960s, people dug the music, but they didn't all want to be rock stars. Now, it's a ‘career path,’ but there's no money for songwriters (in a digital music age). If I'm having trouble geting my songs placed, what can these people who don't have a bunch of hit songs in their pocket do? It's pretty frightening.”

sodascouts
08-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Jack has a Facebook fanpage now! Don't tell Don Henley. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Eagles-Songwriter-Jack-Tempchin/42280894815

bernie's bender
09-21-2009, 03:46 AM
If you've never heard how Robb Strandlund sounded on the song Already Gone... here he is live at a little club in San Diego County back in the 70's... Bob Warford plays some mean guitar on it... you might know Bob from his fine playing with Linda Ronstadt specifically on her version of "Willin'"

Willin, is a great song written by Lowell George (the love of Linda's life) and the song that prompted Frank Zappa to tell Lowell (upon hearing it) that it was time for him to go do his own thing and quit the Mothers of Invention.....

When Willin' was set to be cut for the first little feat record Lowell had hurt his hand and Ry Cooder came by and played the slide part.... (which is why it is the one slide song that doesn't sound like the others!)

Anyway... this version of Already Gone (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/alreadygone.mp3) is funky and cool... I hope you enjoy it!

sodascouts
09-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow, that's very different indeed! The Eagles must have really played around with the arrangement to get what they got out of it, or he's mixing it up now himself.

He's played several places around that area - makes me wish I lived in California! ;)

Thanks for the link!

bernie's bender
09-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Wow, that's very different indeed! The Eagles must have really played around with the arrangement to get what they got out of it, or he's mixing it up now himself.

He's played several places around that area - makes me wish I lived in California! ;)

Thanks for the link!

Oh yeah, his version was much 'funkier'... Glenn came up with the lick that I think made the song have a 'hook'... that and the very wild pick harmonics really made the song...

I've seen Jack probably 20 times over the years (of course I saw the Eagles at least 20 times or more in the 70's)... the recording is okay, but I can tell you that Jack's bands (especially when Bob played with him) were stormin' good nights!

Bob and Clarence White have a lot of the same 'sounds' on guitar... and Clarence was a huge influence on bernie (the whole bender thing came from Clarence's head) and Bob and Clarence were instrumental (ha, a pun!) in developing the whole 'country rock' sound... along with Eddie Black etc...

Some of Bobs best playing are on the Heart Like a Wheel record (I have an awesome KSAN live recording of Ronstadt too that has some great playing on it)

the Heart Like a Wheel record was produced by John Boylan who was also the producer of Ricky Nelsons comeback records that Randy was brought in on... kinda funny... Boylan pitched Meisner as legit to Nelson and RM is a HUGE Nelson fan... it is a small world after all....

Freypower
09-21-2009, 08:18 PM
If you've never heard how Jack Tempchin sounded on the song Already Gone... here he is live at a little club in San Diego County back in the 70's... Bob Warford plays some mean guitar on it... you might know Bob from his fine playing with Linda Ronstadt specifically on her version of "Willin'"

Willin, is a great song written by Lowell George (the love of Linda's life) and the song that prompted Frank Zappa to tell Lowell (upon hearing it) that it was time for him to go do his own thing and quit the Mothers of Invention.....

When Willin' was set to be cut for the first little feat record Lowell had hurt his hand and Ry Cooder came by and played the slide part.... (which is why it is the one slide song that doesn't sound like the others!)

Anyway... this version of Already Gone (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/alreadygone.mp3) is funky and cool... I hope you enjoy it!

This is the first time I have ever heard that Lowell George & Linda Ronstadt were even involved, let alone that he was 'the love of her life'.

bernie's bender
09-21-2009, 10:36 PM
This is the first time I have ever heard that Lowell George & Linda Ronstadt were even involved, let alone that he was 'the love of her life'.

Here is a picture and cool little thing Boylan used to put on the studio wall...

http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Pictures/roxy.jpg

If you can correctly name the people in the photo... I'll give you a prize!

http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Pictures/boylan.gif

The internet is full of rumors and stuff... and anyone can make anything up... but, I think if you asked folks would be pretty forthright that Linda and Lowell's thing was fo'real... the fact that Lowell was married makes it complicated...

What is kind of interesting is how these people kind of swirled around each other... the maryland connection where Hillman found Emmylou and when some more folks went out there, the gang found George Massenburg and lots of Linda Ronstadt history (and many others too) was made with George as the magician....

and of course, gram was involved....

Freypower
09-21-2009, 10:47 PM
I always thought Gram Parsons was involved with Emmylou Harris, before Linda Ronstadt was ever heard of.

bernie's bender
09-21-2009, 10:52 PM
from 74... and in Maryland no less.... this is probably, well... this is good stuff...

This is almost a year after Gram died and after Emmy and Linda became friends... I think that ELH came to LA and ended up living with LR while she grieved... talk about a community of artists... hard to imagine that kind of a scene today where folks would play for the music and help each other... but they did...

lgnlr1 (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/lg/lg1.mp3)

lgnlr2 (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/lg/lg2.mp3)

lgnlr3 (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/lg/lg3.mp3)

lgnlr4 (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/lg/lg4.mp3)

lgnlr5 (http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Music/lg/lg5.mp3)

I hope you enjoy this... it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

one other Bob Warford tidbit... he went to medical school but ended up becoming an attorney instead and is to this day one of the big dog medical malpractice attorneys... and still plays incredible guitar.

bernie's bender
09-21-2009, 10:59 PM
I always thought Gram Parsons was involved with Emmylou Harris, before Linda Ronstadt was ever heard of.

Linda predates both of them in the fame department. She was on the Glen Campbell Goodtime hour, the Johnny Cash show.. she charted Different Drum (written by Monkee Mike Nesmith) in 67... Emmy didn't meet Gram until the 1970's...

Two things: 1) I don't think Gram and Linda were ever romantically linked. 2) Emmy and LR have been extremely private about their relationships and while it is easy to conclude that ELH and Gram were lovers... no one has ever admitted it.... my suspicion is to protect the families... similar to LR and LG.

http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/rs75-3.jpg

Gram didn't join the Byrds until 68 and didn't connect with Emmy til much later (like 2 or 3 years)

bernie's bender
09-21-2009, 11:07 PM
here is an RS article (http://www.ronstadt-linda.com/artrs75.htm) which substantiates that LG and LR umm, dated.

The article spends too much time being hip... there is another account... I cannot remember who I heard it from... I'll remember and post it... about their relationship...

there is no adequate testament to how cool Lowell was (or Linda) and the only concert footage I've seen that captures how truly cool the Eagles and guys like Danny Fogelberg were... is maybe the Kirshner footage of Joe Walsh's concert.....

The eagles back then were like a panther in a hurricane... oh well... sorry for the remembrances... probably kinda silly.

MikeA
09-22-2009, 08:19 AM
[QUOTE=bernie's bender;84139]from 74... and in Maryland no less.... this is probably, well... this is good stuff...

I hope you enjoy this... it makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.
</quote>

MINE TOO!

sodascouts
09-22-2009, 12:01 PM
Not silly at all - I find this all very interesting! I didn't know much about all of this, and I love to hear about such behind-the-scenes things. Plus, those links... wow! Such great vocals and so clear, and when they start singing together - wonderful. Thanks for posting them.

As far as that photo - one of them is Linda Ronstadt I'm stumped as to the rest! :blush:

09-22-2009, 12:11 PM
Well bender - this is some really interesting stuff. While it is easy for me to see why the rockin' energy-packed Eagles' version of Already Gone was a lot more successful, I think Jack's version does have a certain appeal. It is an interesting combination of country-flavored funk. I really enjoyed it. I think it is amazing how different the musical arrangements are for the two versions. If not for the lyrics, I would not have even recognized Jack's music as being the same song that I am so familiar with.

I also love Boylan's rules - those are sooo true! And I vaguely remember hearing talk about Linda being involved with Lowell, but, honestly, never had heard about how deeply involved they were before. Do you know the timeframe of their relationship?

I can't name all of the people in the picture either.

bernie's bender
09-22-2009, 12:23 PM
I knew I was wrong about something last night and it was bugging me... I'm sorting through old recordings and I remembered Bob being the guitar player correctly... but, it isn't Jack singing on that it is Robb Strandlund! sheesh, a brain fart deluxe!

I had all those files in the same folder with some other stuff (now you guys have me all sorting through old recordings and pics etc.)

I'll post the people in the picture in a bit....

sorry for the error, I'll make mistakes... but I usually fix'em.

I don't know for certain any timeline for LR and LG's thing... truthfully, I think they were always kinda linked... I'd bet only Linda would know for sure and she'd never say...

bernie's bender
09-26-2009, 11:35 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/macmanager/.Pictures/roxy.jpg

I promised I'd list the gang in the pic...

Bernie Leadon, Michael Clarke, Chris Hillman, Rick Roberts, Lowell George, Linda Ronstadt and Al Perkins

Here is another fun picture... this is of the 'legendary' Longbranch Pennywhistle...

John Beland, Glenn and JD

http://www.johnbeland.com/JBLONGBRANCHPENNEYWHISTLEsm.jpg

sodascouts
09-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Man, I'm embarrassed about not recognizing Bernie Leadon. :blush:

Gotta love JD's outfit in that Longbranch Pennywhistle live photo!

sodascouts
11-12-2009, 05:24 PM
Jack Tempchin performs Somebody:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtCSnnmB3GE

Prettymaid
11-12-2009, 05:30 PM
It's always interesting to hear other interpretations of Eagles songs. I'll let Jack slide since he wrote it, but our boy Glenn does it so-o-o-o-o much better!

Freypower
11-12-2009, 06:09 PM
OK.... I watched it out of respect for Jack. I will say something that you wouldn't expect, which is that those harmonies were totally anaemic, and make you realise how good Tim and Don sound on the song. If I said anything else it would be stating the bleeding obvious.

Koala
11-13-2009, 02:56 AM
Interesting!
It does not sound bad but I prefer a clearly the version of the Eagles!

sodascouts
02-18-2010, 03:23 PM
Jack talks about working with Glenn a bit!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCi5Ca_7GmU

Prettymaid
02-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Ver-r-r-r-ry interesting about the candles and the muse! Don't you wish you could have been a fly on the wall when The One You Love was being written? (Listening to it right now...) :sigh:

GlennLover
02-18-2010, 04:20 PM
I had heard Jack tell the part of that story about the candles & red wine before. He made a comment at the time that Glenn really "knew how to romance a song". I must say that I am in complete agreement with that! :)

Freypower
02-18-2010, 05:48 PM
Ver-r-r-r-ry interesting about the candles and the muse! Don't you wish you could have been a fly on the wall when The One You Love was being written? (Listening to it right now...) :sigh:

Yes.

'It's the muse'........

sodascouts
05-15-2010, 03:10 PM
Just wanted to let all Tempchin fans know that you can join an e-mail listserv and get exclusive information, notification of his tour dates, and access to downloads, including free tracks! Here's the e-mail:

nightriverrecords@yahoo.com

Alternatively, you can sign up using this site:

http://www.reverbnation.com/jacktempchin?eid=4207581_20904815

sodascouts
07-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Tempchin is posting "a song a day" on YouTube and he's still got it!

I found the theme of this song pretty interesting...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CppDe99nVNQ

Prettymaid
07-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah, that's a real toe-tapper! Lol!

07-26-2010, 09:50 PM
Well, I guess that certainly explains the long-lasting friendship between Jack and Glenn. :lol:

Brooke
07-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Cute! :laugh:

sodascouts
07-29-2010, 07:00 PM
New Tempchin interview with several Glenn mentions here (http://www.writersonprocess.com/2010/07/tempchin.html).

A sampling:

"Whenever [Glenn] had the time he'd come over, and we'd just grab some coffee and yellow pads."

"Part of my technique that Glenn Frey and I developed has always involved writing with an inner voice called El Blurto. You pick up the guitar, start playing, and just start singing anything that comes out."

"[Glenn and I] really respected the other person's ability, but we had to be honest with each other and tell the other person that we may not have liked a line they just wrote."

sodascouts
02-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Just saw Jack Tempchin at the famous Bluebird Cafe in Nashville! He was sweet as can be and signed my CDs after the show. He came on last, after several aspiring songwriters performed their songs. He, of course, was the one who'd already made it!

Of the songs he wrote for the Eagles and with Glenn, he played "The One You Love", "You Belong to the City", "Already Gone", and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" - all "solo acoustic." It was just him, a guitar, and a harmonica. In fact, the sax line of TOYL was done on harmonica! And it was wild to hear YBTTC and Already Gone as slow, acoustic numbers. He also played his hit "Slow Dancing" as well as two new songs - "The Loneliest Piano" and "Jesus and Mohammad" (titles are approximations taken from the lyrics).

He told the story of Glenn "romancing the muse" with the candles and wine in order to write TOYL, and also said that YBTTC was a result of Glenn accidentally meeting the guy who produced Miami Vice in first class on a plane. Now, that's not the way Glenn tells it, but hey, it's all good. lol When introducing PEF, he said he wrote a lot of it in the parking lot of a Der Wienerschnitzel, after being inspired by watching beautiful women waiting at the bus station and "falling in love" with all of them immediately, having entire relationships with them in his head - then never seeing them again after they got on the bus. He put the whole fantasy thing to work with the woman in PEF. Regarding Already Gone, he said he thought it was gonna be a country song so he co-wrote it with a guy that lived 4 miles outside of the city and wore a cowboy hat and boots. :lol:

It was fun. Very glad I went!

Scarlet Sun
02-21-2011, 03:49 AM
did he talk about Glenn's patches?

02-21-2011, 03:09 PM
That is so cool, Soda/ I am so glad you got to go to the show. And I know you must be very happy about getting those autographs. Can't wait to hear more details when you get a chance.

:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Yeah, and what was it like to be in the Bluebird Cafe? Did you feel any ghosts of singers past? Kind of like the country version of the Troubadour, huh?

sodascouts
02-21-2011, 08:29 PM
SS - no, no patches story. Do you think you might be mixing him up with JD Souther?

The Bluebird Cafe was not really what I expected. It is like a country Troubadour in the sense that so many up-and-coming stars were either discovered there or got their start there. However, I was surprised at how dingy the interior looked and the bench I was sitting on was horrendously uncomfortable! I felt like I was sitting in a pew of a 17th century Puritan church! (I chose a bench instead of one of the tables because I was alone and there was a friendly-looking guy sitting by himself on the bench. It turned out to be a great choice!)

Still, it was cool to see all the autographed photos of stars tacked to just about every inch of the wall. I didn't so much feel ghosts of the pasts, but I tried to imagine the people performing onstage in front of me as maybe the stars of the future (except for one couple of white-haired hippies that were quite out of place amongst all the younger country performers and sang about preparing for death).

Another cool thing though was that all the performers just sat with everybody else and hung out at the tables and the bar. In fact, I was surrounded by performers (probably because the benches were the only places where they could store their guitars - there's no "backstage").

Turns out Jack wasn't sitting very far from me either, but I didn't recognize him. He looks very grandfatherly now! So sweet and unassuming as well. And really tall! He was so nice afterwards and seemed very impressed that I had some of his solo CDs. "Where did you get those?" He asked me, laughing. "Ebay," I replied. It reminded me of my exchange with Glenn over Longbranch Pennywhistle. Ah ebay, how I love thee. it's a pity money issues destroyed our relationship. ;)

The best moment of the performances for me came when Jack was singing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." He encouraged everyone to sing along, and we all did. Since there were so many singers around me, they were all doing harmonies and different parts - it was magnificent. It sounded like I was part of a really talented chorus of people all joining together just for the love of that song to make it into something even more beautiful. It was a real "warm and fuzzy" moment.

GlennLover
02-21-2011, 09:30 PM
Soda, that's wonderful that you got to see Jack perform & to talk with him a bit. :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
02-21-2011, 11:40 PM
(I chose a bench instead of one of the tables because I was alone and there was a friendly-looking guy sitting by himself on the bench. It turned out to be a great choice!)

Did you get his number? :heybaby:

Ah ebay, how I love thee. it's a pity money issues destroyed our relationship. ;)

:rofl:

The best moment of the performances for me came when Jack was singing "Peaceful Easy Feeling." He encouraged everyone to sing along, and we all did. Since there were so many singers around me, they were all doing harmonies and different parts - it was magnificent. It sounded like I was part of a really talented chorus of people all joining together just for the love of that song to make it into something even more beautiful. It was a real "warm and fuzzy" moment.

I would have loved that!

Scarlet Sun
02-22-2011, 02:24 AM
SS - no, no patches story. Do you think you might be mixing him up with JD Souther?
Nah, it was definitely Tempchin, I read about it on "another board."

Sounds like you had a very worthwhile time!

sodascouts
02-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Did you get his number? :heybaby:

Now PM, I'm not that kind of girl! ;) It's just I usually have friends with me at such things and I find it unendurable to sit quietly with no one to talk to. It's easy to pick out who is receptive to a conversation partner and who wants to be left alone - and this guy was definitely of the former bent! He provided me with quite a bit of entertainment.

Sounds like you had a very worthwhile time!

Indeed! And if I ever see him again, I will definitely have to ask about those patches.

sodascouts
03-12-2011, 06:29 AM
A recent interview: "Jack Tempchin: It's About the Song" (http://www.folkworks.org/feature-articles/137-june-2010-articles/36660-jack-tempchin-)

This quote about "Peaceful Easy Feeling" struck me. Jack states:
"I thought the line, 'I'm already standing on the ground,' made it not actually a love song. It's like you can't count on a woman or anything really to find peace within yourself."
I never really thought of PEF as a love song - I always thought it was about a one-night stand - but I didn't realize it was also about self-sufficiency. Interesting.

Victim of Love
03-18-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of Borderer's who get the Jack Tempchin link on Facebook. My sister and I were absolute over the moon to get one a little while ago featuring Miami Vice clips and a few stills set to "Somebody". Nothing NEW but a great match up of music and clips/pix!

Here's the link:
http://www.myspace.com/video/eaglesonlinecentral/eagles-somebody-long-road-out-of-eden/29310463

sodascouts
03-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm glad you enjoyed that video! I had a lot of fun making it. Sadly, it was removed from YouTube, my lives on in MySpace! ;) Very cool that Tempchin noticed it and linked to it.

Troubadour
03-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Jack Tempchin posted this on Facebook yesterday: the original lyric sheet to Peaceful Easy Feeling. Very cool!

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/188882_10150213843404816_42280894815_8951372_47616 02_n.jpg

Brooke
03-25-2011, 12:26 PM
Very cool, Troub! Thanks for sharing that with us!

Koala
11-03-2011, 01:36 AM
Live at American Songwriter — Ken Will Morton, For King And Country, Jack Tempchin, Garland Jeffreys
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/11/live-at-american-songwriter-ken-will-morton-for-king-and-country-jack-tempchin-garland-jeffreys/

Jack Tempchin is a songwriter’s songwriter, having written or co-written hits for the Eagles (“Peaceful Easy Feeling”), Glenn Frey (remember “You Belong To The City?”), and many others. Here he performs the oldie but goodie “The One You Love.”

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2011/11/jack-tempchin-the-one-you-love/

VAisForEagleLovers
03-14-2013, 01:43 PM
An interview with Jack, and he talks about so many things we have threads for, I just decided it would do best in his own thread!

http://www.riffraf.net/2013/03/songwriting-101-jack-tempchin/

sodascouts
03-16-2013, 03:42 PM
That reminds me - I meant to put this here when I heard about it a little bit ago - Jack Tempchin has authorized a winery to put out a "Peaceful Easy Feeling" wine. I'm going to have to order a bottle just to see if it lives up to the name!

Brooke
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
That reminds me - I meant to put this here when I heard about it a little bit ago - Jack Tempchin has authorized a winery to put out a "Peaceful Easy Feeling" wine. I'm going to have to order a bottle just to see if it lives up to the name!

I tried to find that shortly after we heard about it and couldn't. Time to investigate again! Thanks for the reminder!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-18-2013, 02:31 PM
I asked the winery how to order the wine. They said they'd tell us soon.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
I asked if they shipped to VA and they said 'yes', and when it's available to be shipped anywhere, they'll list it on this page:

http://store.wineresort.com/cart/cat/Home/Celebrity-Wines.aspx

Outlawman13
03-18-2013, 04:57 PM
OHHHH that is way too cool. I don't drink wine, but I would love to keep that bottle.

zeldabjr
03-19-2013, 01:33 AM
I'd buy some...why not?...I'm getting to like wine more than I used to...although I know nothing about it...but come on..."Peaceful Easy Feeling" wine...just has to be good right?!!

Prettymaid
06-04-2013, 07:58 PM
I asked if they shipped to VA and they said 'yes', and when it's available to be shipped anywhere, they'll list it on this page:

http://store.wineresort.com/cart/cat/Home/Celebrity-Wines.aspx

Just now seeing this. I see it's available now. Has anyone tried it? I think I'll get a bottle for a souvenir, after I drink it, of course. ;-)

zeldabjr
06-04-2013, 08:05 PM
I was going to order a bottle from his website...but the shipping was more than the wine cost...no can do...

Prettymaid
06-04-2013, 08:13 PM
I was going to order a bottle from his website...but the shipping was more than the wine cost...no can do...

Is that right? :hilarious: Well then, maybe not!

zeldabjr
06-04-2013, 08:31 PM
Is that right? :hilarious: Well then, maybe not!

well that was shipping NY...maybe it wouldn't be so much to where you are PM...

Prettymaid
06-04-2013, 09:28 PM
well that was shipping NY...maybe it wouldn't be so much to where you are PM...

No, you're right - it's $17.

zeldabjr
06-04-2013, 10:58 PM
I wonder if local liquor stores can order it for us if we ask?...anyone ever ask them to order something special like this?...not sure if they do stuff like that...???

sodascouts
06-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Jack was very approachable and sweet, but he doesn't know anything about whether or not Bernie will appear with the Eagles.

Prettymaid
06-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Thanks Soda!

Troubadour
06-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Kudos to you for asking!

zeldabjr
06-08-2013, 08:45 PM
well I just broke down and ordered a bottle of Peaceful Easy Feeling...why the heck not???!!!

Prettymaid
06-08-2013, 09:01 PM
Sure! There are lots of wines that are more than $40. And you get a great keepsake in the bottle itself. I'm sure I'll probably order one or two also. It would make a great Christmas gift, or something to take if you're invited for dinner.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I think if you order now you get a free JT CD.

zeldabjr
06-08-2013, 09:58 PM
yeah that's what got me...lol

Prettymaid
06-08-2013, 10:08 PM
Where does it tell you that on the site?

zeldabjr
06-08-2013, 10:14 PM
I saw it on Facebook...

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2013, 10:17 PM
I haven't looked at the site, but he put it on Facebook early today, I saw it in my NewFeed.

zeldabjr
06-08-2013, 10:24 PM
this was on his Facebook page...

AFTER THE RAIN CD featuring Glenn Frey, Timothy B. Schmit, JD Souther on BG vocals included FREE with all Peaceful Easy Feeling Cabernet Sauvignon orders! Ships to 29 states: http://goo.gl/kZnOa

but I didn't see it on the site when I ordered...so I hope I get it...

sodascouts
06-09-2013, 12:47 AM
I think I mentioned before that Tennessee isn't one of the states where this can ship to. I feel I'm doomed never to taste it!

Henley Honey
06-09-2013, 09:35 AM
I think I mentioned before that Tennessee isn't one of the states where this can ship to. I feel I'm doomed never to taste it!

Ship it to Dreamer and she can bring it to Louisville. I'd offer, but I'm flying and she's driving. How cool to toast the Eagles with a glass of Jack's wine before the concert!

zeldabjr
06-09-2013, 03:46 PM
Ship it to Dreamer and she can bring it to Louisville. I'd offer, but I'm flying and she's driving. How cool to toast the Eagles with a glass of Jack's wine before the concert!

Darn...I should have thought of that too...then we'd have two bottles...lol...wonder if it's too late to change my order?

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Hey, you all could have them shipped to my house! My sister and I could drink them while you guys watch our guys without me.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-09-2013, 04:08 PM
wonder why they cant ship to certain states...pa leaves me out to lol

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 04:11 PM
State to State license agreements. I know here in VA, each vineyard/brewery outside of the Commonwealth has to apply for a license to sell in VA. Some states make that more easy than others, and some process them faster than others. Keep checking the list.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-09-2013, 04:14 PM
Ok so now I get it.
So if I ship it to someone elses house and they ship to me, does that make it a bad thing?? to do

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 04:17 PM
Well, yes, there's that whole taxes thing. As far as I know UPS, Fed EX, and USPS won't ship alcohol. It's flammable.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-09-2013, 04:20 PM
thanks va can you tell i am not a drinker lol
every year I buy Noram Jean or marilyn merlow for my sis in law.
the bottles change every year and are now collectable.

sodascouts
06-09-2013, 04:30 PM

I'll ask Dreamer if that works for her. There might be some problems transporting alcohol across state lines.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 04:39 PM
I'll ask Dreamer if that works for her. There might be some problems transporting alcohol across state lines.

Na, not one or two bottles. Personal consumption is allowed. A case or a truckload, not a good idea.

Houston Baby
06-10-2013, 10:41 PM
Ok - I have 3 bottles of Peaceful Easy Feeling wine on its way to my house. And I don't even hardly drink wine!!! I don't know whether it is
:headshake: OR :rofl:

HeatherB
06-11-2013, 10:32 PM
http://store.wineresort.com/cart/prod/Peaceful-Easy-Feeling-Cabernet-Sauvignon__NVCSPEF.aspx

Saw this on Facebook

Prettymaid
06-11-2013, 11:25 PM
http://store.wineresort.com/cart/prod/Peaceful-Easy-Feeling-Cabernet-Sauvignon__NVCSPEF.aspx

Saw this on Facebook

Sorry Heather, Soda was on it back in March! Lol!

I think we all want a bottle or two!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195&page=7

HeatherB
06-11-2013, 11:46 PM
Haha, my apologies! Clearly I have to come around more often :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
06-12-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey, that's okay! I say, if you see something about our guys, bring it here! If it's already been posted the mods can move it. Better safe than sorry!

Brooke
06-12-2013, 09:24 AM
Yup, we don't want to miss a thing!

Troubadour
06-12-2013, 04:06 PM
LOL, HB!

Brooke
06-13-2013, 02:02 PM
Well, yes, there's that whole taxes thing. As far as I know UPS, Fed EX, and USPS won't ship alcohol. It's flammable.

So who ships it?

Note to self, must order!

sodascouts
06-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Just ordered two bottles to ship to Dreamer. Shipping is over $20! I'm not sure what service they use.

zeldabjr
06-14-2013, 01:07 AM
mine shipped the day after I ordered it...but I don't see anything on the shipping notice that says what shipper they use!

Houston Baby
06-14-2013, 08:54 AM
mine shipped the day after I ordered it...but I don't see anything on the shipping notice that says what shipper they use!

For mine, they used UPS because I had a note on the door that someone over 21 needs to sign for it. I plan to go pick it up at the UPS office this evening after work

sodascouts
06-17-2013, 05:34 PM
I realized I never put any info about the show!

The VIP event before was not what I expected at all. It took place in some wealthy person's poolhouse and we were basically parking on their backyard. Jack Tempchin was there along with his manager - JD Souther did not come. I talked to both of them a while and Jack signed my CD and took a photo with me. He seemed surprised that I had a CD of his, lol. Most of the rest of the people all seemed to know each other so I kind of hovered about, had some finger foods and wine, made a friend, and waited for when it was time to head over to the field for the show.

And it was a field. I brought a blanket to spread out over the grass. There had been torrential rain on the way from Memphis (it was so bad I had to pull over twice because I couldn't see two yards in front of me. I was shaking in terror at one point when there was no place to pull over and I was driving blind). However, luckily, it hadn't been as bad over there and it wasn't terribly muddy. It didn't rain a drop while the acts were on!

Jack was before JD. He came out alone and sat down with an acoustic guitar and a harmonica; it was all very low-key.

Jack's set was as follows:

The One You Love
The Loneliest Piano
Your Tattoo
You Belong to the City
Amy
Partytown
Blowin' Tumbleweed
Already Gone
Slow Dancing
Peaceful Easy Feeling

He told a lot of jokes and mentioned Glenn several times. A few I hadn't heard before:
1) He met Glenn when Glenn and JD were doing a Longbranch Pennywhistle show at the same place he was performing. He said the owners of the club were these weird new-age types who were into pop psychology groups. The owners invited Glenn and JD to stay with them and Jack told them they didn't want to stay with weirdos like those people - they should stay with him! At the time, he lived with several other people in some communal hippie apartment to hear him tell it, lol. Glenn and JD accepted the invite, and they've been friends ever since!
2) Glenn overheard him practicing Peaceful Easy Feeling while they were hanging out in 1971 and asked for the song for "my new band" which didn't even have a name at that time. Right after the Eagles got back from England after recording their album, Glenn threw a listening party at Jack's house because he had a machine that would play those big reels which is what Glenn had since it hadn't been pressed yet; thus, Jack was one of the first to hear it (and he thought it was the best album ever, of course)!
3) Jack and the co-writer of Already Gone had originally gotten drunk and written it as a country song in 1970ish; Glenn heard them do it and a few years later, asked if the Eagles could record it... only Glenn thought it would be better as a rock song. Jack said OK. A few months later, he got a $5000 royalty check from it after it came out and it was the biggest he'd ever had in his life up to that point. He felt rich! He said thanks to the checks he gets from his Eagles material, he's set.

Again, Jack was very cool and approachable. A really nice guy! His manager knew about EOC, too, which was cool!

Troubadour
06-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Thanks for that, Soda - very cool! He always seems like a nice, down to earth guy from his FB posts. I'm glad you had this experience!

Prettymaid
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
Prett-y cool!

Tiffanny Twisted
06-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Thanks nancy. I enjoyed reading about your adventure

zeldabjr
06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
got my wine today!!!

Prettymaid
06-18-2013, 07:20 PM
got my wine today!!!

Yay! Now, YOU'RE a wine drinker, aren't you Z?

zeldabjr
06-20-2013, 05:07 PM
I am...the wine is delicious...may have to order more!!!!

Prettymaid
06-20-2013, 07:26 PM
I am...the wine is delicious...may have to order more!!!!

Oooh, a soaring recommendation by Z! They should put that endorsement on the website! :hilarious:

zeldabjr
06-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Oooh, a soaring recommendation by Z! They should put that endorsement on the website! :hilarious:

I know nothing about wine and am not a wine drinker normally...I love beer...but this is special...so I had to try it...I'm finishing the bottle right now!!! :D...and listening to the boys...a good evening!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-18-2015, 06:17 PM
Jack has a new EP coming out...

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/legendary-eagles-songwriter-jack-tempchin-to-release-ep-of-original-material-room-to-run-on-may-19-on-blue-elan-records-300084722.html

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2015, 08:57 AM
A nice interview with Jack about the writing of Peaceful Easy Feeling

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/playingmysong/jack_tempchin_-_peaceful_easy_feeling_/

UndertheWire
06-14-2015, 01:37 PM
He paints a good picture, especially the rehearsal room with the chairs set up for David Geffen and some other bloke. Also, I hadn't previously thought of the Eagles reunion as being effectively the breakup of Frey-Tempchin and that Jack needed a new job.

UndertheWire
08-06-2015, 05:03 AM
Another interview with Jack. He covers the same ground as in other interviews but it's still a nice read.

http://www.rockcellarmagazine.com/2015/08/05/jack-tempchin-interview-eagles-songwriting/#sthash.YsxmVck3.dpbs

Funk 50
08-17-2015, 01:35 PM
Jacks got a new album Learn To Dance out on August 21st

http://jacktempchin.com/2015/08/12/jack-tempchins-learning-to-dance-is-now-available-for-pre-order/

The title track is a great song. Also includes an update of I Volunteer which Glenn covered on his first solo LP No Fun Aloud.

The new fangled arrangements don't suit Jacks voice imho.

NightMistBlue
08-17-2015, 02:06 PM
A nice interview with Jack about the writing of Peaceful Easy Feeling

http://www.songfacts.com/blog/playingmysong/jack_tempchin_-_peaceful_easy_feeling_/

Oh wow, I didn't know Jack wrote "Swayin' to the Music (Slow Dancin')" by Johnny Rivers. Always loved that song [showing my age, I know]

Funk 50
08-24-2015, 01:51 PM
Jacks got a new album Learn To Dance out on August 21st

http://jacktempchin.com/2015/08/12/jack-tempchins-learning-to-dance-is-now-available-for-pre-order/

The title track is a great song. Also includes an update of I Volunteer which Glenn covered on his first solo LP No Fun Aloud.

The new fangled arrangements don't suit Jacks voice imho.

Here's a promo piece about Jack's new album.. and future projects. http://jacktempchin.com/2015/08/21/peaceful-easy-tempchin-an-exclusive-interview-with-jack-tempchin/

I love this line from Jack, about Peaceful Easy Feeling

When I heard The Eagles version, I thought it was a thousand times better than anything I could have imagined. It was just a work of genius. The artist is always really important and they bring themselves to the project – they make that thing theirs.

Just what Don Felder says about Hotel California..... or did I hear that wrong? :twisted: :twisted:

Annoying Twit
05-29-2016, 09:36 AM
I'm finding the more modern arrangements on "Learning to Dance" easier to get into than albums such as "Songs".

His live version of Already Gone shows, as already said up-thread, how much the Eagles added to the song in terms of arrangement. It's good to hear Tempchin having his own versions of the song prettied up with arrangements. I do appreciate guitar + voice, but in JT's case, I'm appreciating how much an arrangement can add.

"You can go home" has piano + vocal + some background strings (real or synthetic?), but IMHO it works as a relatively sparse arrangement among the other songs. Very nice song.

Would "Big Sky Country" work as an Eagles song? Sped up, made more guitary, and with big backing vocals as they transformed "Already Gone"?

EDIT: "Learning To Dance" ordered from the USA via ebay.

sodascouts
06-04-2016, 08:23 PM
Well, I decided on the spur of the moment to drive up to Nashville and see Jack Tempchin perform at the City Winery with Rusty Young on Sunday night. I'm already wondering if I made a mistake since I have to work at 8:00 Monday morning and I'll probably be getting back at 3:00 am, but opportunities to see Tempchin are rare, so... off I go!

LuvTim
06-05-2016, 12:28 AM
Well, I decided on the spur of the moment to drive up to Nashville and see Jack Tempchin perform at the City Winery with Rusty Young on Sunday night. I'm already wondering if I made a mistake since I have to work at 8:00 Monday morning and I'll probably be getting back at 3:00 am, but opportunities to see Tempchin are rare, so... off I go!

Oh, my gosh! As an Eagles-lover, and as a Poco-lover, I find this fascinating. Soda, I'm betting this will be worth missing your sleep! Lol...

scottside
06-05-2016, 09:40 AM
I'm finding the more modern arrangements on "Learning to Dance" easier to get into than albums such as "Songs".

His live version of Already Gone shows, as already said up-thread, how much the Eagles added to the song in terms of arrangement. It's good to hear Tempchin having his own versions of the song prettied up with arrangements. I do appreciate guitar + voice, but in JT's case, I'm appreciating how much an arrangement can add.

"You can go home" has piano + vocal + some background strings (real or synthetic?), but IMHO it works as a relatively sparse arrangement among the other songs. Very nice song.

Would "Big Sky Country" work as an Eagles song? Sped up, made more guitary, and with big backing vocals as they transformed "Already Gone"?

EDIT: "Learning To Dance" ordered from the USA via ebay.

I just noticed this post now. Jack does a better version on his 1990s album AFTER THE RAIN of "Big Sky Country" which does sound a lot like the Eagles. The harmonies are there, but it's relatively lo-fi compared to other songs on the same album. I always wondered why Glenn didn't work on that song in the studio with Jack as he did on some of the other album tracks. To your point, I agree that this track would've been perfect for the Eagles to record.

As for LEARNING TO DANCE, I've mentioned this before, the title track would've been perfect for Glenn to sing since it fits in well with a lot of the songs he's done in the past.

sodascouts
06-05-2016, 10:04 AM
I'm a little bummed because I bought the digital download of Learning to Dance and not the physical CD; thus, if I do catch Tempchin outside the venue, I won't have anything new for him to sign! I don't have any of Rusty Young's music except for Poco, either. I don't even know who Craig Fuller is. I will look like quite the bad fan.

06-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Well have a fun time and be careful, Soda. I'm sure you can come up with for Jack to sign if you have the opportunity.

scottside
06-05-2016, 05:40 PM
I'm a little bummed because I bought the digital download of Learning to Dance and not the physical CD; thus, if I do catch Tempchin outside the venue, I won't have anything new for him to sign! I don't have any of Rusty Young's music except for Poco, either. I don't even know who Craig Fuller is. I will look like quite the bad fan.

Craig Fuller is a founding member of Pure Prairie League and the singer of their 70s hit "Amie." He also served for a number of years as lead singer for Little Feat after Lowell George passed.

I saw PPL and Poco together a few years back and got to speak with Craig for awhile. He's a really down to earth humble guy with a boatload of talent.

Annoying Twit
06-07-2016, 10:16 AM
I just noticed this post now. Jack does a better version on his 1990s album AFTER THE RAIN of "Big Sky Country" which does sound a lot like the Eagles. The harmonies are there, but it's relatively lo-fi compared to other songs on the same album. I always wondered why Glenn didn't work on that song in the studio with Jack as he did on some of the other album tracks. To your point, I agree that this track would've been perfect for the Eagles to record.

As for LEARNING TO DANCE, I've mentioned this before, the title track would've been perfect for Glenn to sing since it fits in well with a lot of the songs he's done in the past.

I do appreciate both versions of Big Sky Country, and agree that the "After the Rain" version is more Eagles-like. However, I think I actually prefer the "Learning to Dance" version. I dunno why, I just do. The backing vocals on the ATR version are great, but overall I think Jack sings it a lot better on LtD IMHO.

sodascouts
06-08-2016, 07:30 PM
Well, it was an entertaining show! And I now fully appreciate how hilarious Rusty Young is. He is quite the comedian.

The Nashville City Winery is nice but honestly, not the best place to see a show. You're sitting at a small square table with three other people (I was across from a couple and next to an older guy rockin' a gray ponytail). That table is crammed so close to the adjacent table that you're hard-pressed to get out of your chair without knocking someone's elbow. The hard, wooden chairs face each other and not the stage, so you have to twist yourself around to see the act. All the while, waiters are coming by to refill water, ask if you want to order any food/drinks and bring them if you do, and at last they present your bill to you while the guys are doing their encores. Sound-wise, it was OK, but the guys kept having to ask to have their monitors and mics adjusted. Still, it attracts some names - Emmylou Harris was just there and JD Souther is playing there in a couple months. Even Felder played there recently. It must appeal to them in some way.

The format of the show was thus: all three men came out and took turns playing; first Rusty played a song, then Craig Fuller, then Jack, then back to Rusty, then Craig, then Jack, etc. They each played five songs. The biggest hits Rusty played were "Crazy Love" and "Call It Love." A funny one he performed was called something like "I'm Not Neil Young's Brother." I didn't recognize any of Craig's songs although at the end I learned one enough to sort of sing along at the chorus, but I enjoyed his voice and playing. They each introduced their songs with little stories and like I said, Rusty was full of jokes! He played off the other two guys as well, involving them in the comedy.

The songs Jack played were:

Slow Dancing
You Belong to the City (after which someone yelled "GOD BLESS GLENN FREY")
One More Song
Already Gone
Peaceful Easy Feeling

Jack sounds and looks better than he did the last time I saw him perform a few years ago. His manager remembered me and I got to talk to Jack a bit afterwards. I got a photo with him (I'm not posting it; I don't like how I look in it) and he signed a T-shirt that I'd bought (he had already signed all my CDs the last time I saw him). I didn't bring up Glenn to Jack because honestly - what could I say? I just told him I enjoyed the show, along with a bit of small talk.

Rusty signed my Poco CD (I own Legacy). He was very nice as well. I think he has a new fan!

Jack said they might do this type of show again. They seemed to enjoy themselves and get along quite well. It was a bargain at $35. I recommend it.

Annoying Twit
06-09-2016, 03:03 AM
Sounds like a great show. Thanks for the report.

Brooke
06-09-2016, 10:17 AM
Soda, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself! Sounds great!

LuvTim
06-09-2016, 11:32 AM
Thanks,Soda! Sounds like it was a good evening. :-)

NightMistBlue
06-09-2016, 01:53 PM
Jack sounds and looks better than he did the last time I saw him perform a few years ago. His manager remembered me and I got to talk to Jack a bit afterwards.

You're so lucky about meeting artists, Nancy! If you ever teach a seminar on the topic, I will definitely attend. I need to learn how to do that, and how to speak to them too.

Did Rusty mention how his autobiography is coming along?

sodascouts
06-09-2016, 04:23 PM
The secret for lesser known people is mostly hovering around before or after a show, making educated guesses about where the artist might go (sometimes this takes a little research - finding out where the stage door is, for instance) - and then getting there first, CD and pen at the ready! They'll typically chat a bit while they sign unless they're in a rush. Sometimes they're cool with photos, sometimes not. You have to suss 'em out. If you're lucky, they might remember you in the future. I'm an average looking person with no "feminine wiles" to employ. I just smile big, gush excitedly, and try to communicate my admiration in a short space. Depending on how many other people are doing the same thing, that may or may not be enough!

With the big names, I usually have to do it through a fan club or VIP event or something. :( Sometimes you can get them the old-school way above, but if you try, be prepared for rejection. I stood at the stage door outside the Ryman, shivering in the cold, and waited for Don Henley for over an hour with about five other people... and when he finally came out he blew right by us, talking on his cell phone (my friend who was waiting with me said "Don just pulled a Paris Hilton" lol). I've only met and gotten a photo with DH because he was at a Stevie Nicks VIP charity event that I purchased a ticket for. I'm thinking the only way I'll ever get Don's autograph is if I do the "Runaway Don Henley Experience" thing or something along those lines. With Glenn, it took going to Pebble Beach. He was so open to fans at those tournaments that he approached us when he saw us following him from hole to hole. (THANK THE GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN THAT I WENT TO PEBBLE BEACH.) Each one is different. Again, you have to do some research.

Rusty didn't say anything about his autobiography, I'm afraid.

buffyfan145
06-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for posting Soda and sounds like it was great. :D

NightMistBlue
06-09-2016, 04:59 PM
Thank you, Soda! This part made me smile, "I'm an average looking person with no 'feminine wiles' to employ." Au contraire, missy - if Tempchin's manager remembered you after several years you're seriously cute. :)

Do you think and plan what you're going to say, if it's someone significant to you like Stevie Nicks? [If this is too personal, ignore it]

sodascouts
06-09-2016, 05:19 PM
Thank you, Soda! This part made me smile, "I'm an average looking person with no 'feminine wiles' to employ." Au contraire, missy - if Tempchin's manager remembered you after several years you're seriously cute. :)

I wish! He remembered me because I took time to chat with him for several minutes back in 2012 when many people don't bother. He said that he did Jack's Facebook for him, and my site came up - he was convinced that Eagles Online Central and the accompanying "This Day in Eagles History" Blog (which he uses for Jack's Facebook) were run by a man and I said "No, actually, that's my site." He was really surprised. I think that helped him remember me!

Do you think and plan what you're going to say, if it's someone significant to you like Stevie Nicks? [If this is too personal, ignore it]I definitely have something to say planned for people like Stevie. You especially need to plan if you know you won't have a lot of time. I didn't have anything planned for Glenn because I had no idea what to expect at Pebble Beach, but he was a great conversationalist, and I didn't have to come up with anything. That's the exception, not the rule.

What you say should be something short and sweet as well as relatively specific. If we don't plan, we fans tend to default to something like "I LOVE YOU" or, in my case, something more idiotic (see below paragraph). Most don't mind that, but if we can plan something different, it has a better chance of being memorable to them.

I met Stevie three times. The first time, I said nothing except my name so she could personalize her autograph and "Thank you" when she handed the autographed CD back to me. It was all over in a flash. The second time, I had nothing prepared and I'm going to be honest. I humiliated myself. I cringe to this day remembering it. It was BAD. A short excerpt: [Stevie takes my hand] "Thank you for coming and giving to the institute." Me: "OH MY GOSH, YOU TOOK MY HAND! I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! THIS IS SO COOL!" I kid you not. I said that to her face, and a few other equally inane fangirl exclamations, before we had our photo together. Luckily, Stevie is used to this kind of behavior because many of her fans are like me, lol. Still, I was mortified. Afterwards, I swore I would never embarrass myself like that again. The third time, I planned this: "Stevie, your music means so much to so many people. Thank you for sharing it with us. It's changed my life. I hope you never stop." Now, I might have run together a couple of those lines when I finally got to talk to her and I'm not pretending my lines were Shakespearean, but it sure was better than what had happened the prior time.

Luckily, that third meeting was also the time Don was there, so he didn't witness the 2003 debacle. And I do want to add that Don was very sweet and gracious at the Stevie event. I hadn't planned anything for Don because I didn't know he would be there and, in 2005, I was not yet a hardcore fan. Thus, I just told him that he and Stevie sounded great together, that I appreciated him coming... he thanked me. Then, I made a couple situational jokes while we waited for my friend Kristin to finish talking to Stevie. He and Waddy Wachtel (who was also there) laughed and seemed to think I was funny. Good enough for me! Then, we were hustled away for the next photo op.

PS If you are lucky enough to have more time with them, then the more specific you are about how they've affected your life, the better.

NightMistBlue
06-10-2016, 10:25 AM
Thank you so much for the advice and for sharing your experiences, Nancy. Though I think you're being too hard on yourself about the Stevie gushing - as you say, that's what people do when they meet the goddess.

I shall plan what to say to Brian Wilson. I've never done the VIP thang, maybe there won't be time to say much except "Thank you for your music" or "Oh gawd, can I hug you?" The latter would be bad. :ziplip:

shunlvswx
06-10-2016, 03:21 PM
I have met a few celebrities and for me. I get nervous because I don't like to talk anybody. Famous or not.

Next month, I went to a songwriters concert a few hours away. They were country artists who were not big anymore. One of the artist I spoke to for maybe 5 minutes. We talked about Branson, MO because he had his own show there and I told him I haven't gotten the chance to see it. I told him I wasn't going this year, but I will try to see it next year. He was happy to see a person who knew about Branson, MO and heard about his show there.

One particular group I see every year. They are the Osmonds. These brothers are very friendly and they do take the time to talk to you. They do remember your name and face. They also know who the crazies are. You don't want to be on that list. Trust me. LOL

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself at Jack's show.

UndertheWire
06-23-2016, 03:32 PM
I'm wondering if these will be songs that Glenn recorded or ones he didn't get around to:

“We’re all missing Glenn and this great space he left in our lives,” said Tempchin, who will release an album early next year featuring new recordings of songs he wrote with Frey. “He had a lot of further plans and things that he was doing that aren’t going to happen. That kind of dominates the mood. It’s kind of celebrating what he achieved in his life. He was the fire that kept it burning.”Source. (https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/al-pacino-mavis-staples-james-taylor-selected-for-kennedy-center-honors/2016/06/22/13feb62c-38b8-11e6-8f7c-d4c723a2becb_story.html)

Annoying Twit
06-23-2016, 05:59 PM
I'm wondering if these will be songs that Glenn recorded or ones he didn't get around to:

Or a mix of the two.

I expect I'll enjoy it either way. I'm really enjoying Learning to Dance.

GlennLover
06-24-2016, 12:19 AM
I wonder if they were some of the songs that Glenn had written for "After Hours ll"?

Freypower
06-24-2016, 08:42 PM
I wonder if they were some of the songs that Glenn had written for "After Hours ll"?

I would imagine so. I have to say, if it isn't Glenn singing them, I'm afraid I can't be interested in this case.

GlennLover
06-24-2016, 11:35 PM
I would imagine so. I have to say, if it isn't Glenn singing them, I'm afraid I can't be interested in this case.

I tend to agree although I would still like to hear the songs that Glenn has written at least once.

sodascouts
06-25-2016, 11:45 AM
I'd like to hear them as well. He was a talented songwriter and I'm not going to dismiss his work because someone else is singing it.

However, I understand why not everyone will want to listen. It's hard to think of the lost opportunity....

I wonder if Glenn had recorded any rough versions himself?

UndertheWire
06-25-2016, 01:18 PM
I want to hear them but it will be with a lot of regret. While I like Jack's songwriting, I'm not a big fan of his singing and arrangements (based on his versions of Smuggler's Blues, I Volunteer and Already Gone).

Freypower
06-25-2016, 07:43 PM
I'd like to hear them as well. He was a talented songwriter and I'm not going to dismiss his work because someone else is singing it.

However, I understand why not everyone will want to listen. It's hard to think of the lost opportunity....

I wonder if Glenn had recorded any rough versions himself?

I'm not dismissing it. Your comment about the 'lost opportunity' is closer to what I meant.

I hoped deep down for rough versions too, but I very much doubt there were any.

Jeremy Lawrence
06-29-2016, 11:10 AM
Help!

I need to meet Jack Tempchin or at least get him a copy of my book. The song "Already Gone" and particularly the line; "So often times it happens..." is the books theme.

Any ideas, contacts, addresses would be appreciated. Does he ever play in Florida (I live in Key Largo)

Thanks,
-jl
https://www.amazon.com/Already-Gone-Novel-Eagle-Book-ebook/dp/B01G4ILO3I
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51HAfQk2-TL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

sodascouts
06-30-2016, 11:55 AM
His manager runs his Facebook page. You might try that.

Funk 50
08-15-2016, 04:06 PM
JACK TEMPCHIN – ‘ONE MORE SONG’
Available Everywhere September 2nd!

I don't recognise any Frey titles but I'm certainly familiar with the title track. It'd be the last time, Meisner, Henley and Frey sang together on record. I must check out that Jackson Browne / Ronstadt version. *

http://www.jacktempchin.com/

1: Slow Dancing 3:56
2: Singing in the Street 3:44
3: Old River 2:47
4: Around Midnight 3:43
5: Circle Ties That Bind 4:35
6: So Long My Friend 3:38
7: Still Looking for a Way to Say Goodbye 3:19
8: Streets of Midnight 3:52
9: I Got Her Right Where She Wants Me 3:02
10: Song for You 4:25
11: Tumbleweed 5:14
12: One More Song 4:40

Bonus Track: To Be Alive.

* I found It!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_J890bvbbw

Jack has another disc coming out in January 2017, with unheard Frey / Tempchin songs on it!

There will also likely be some songs he and Frey, who passed away in January, never got around to tracking. “There are a few of those, just songs I wrote with Glenn that never got recorded,” he says. “So I’m going to have a couple new Glenn Frey/Jack Tempchin songs that no one’s ever heard on this album, which I think will be of interest to a lot of people.”
http://www.jacktempchin.com/interviews/billboard-com-one-more-song/

sodascouts
08-20-2016, 01:36 PM
I wonder if Track 6 is about Glenn?

08-20-2016, 01:44 PM
I sure hope so!

GlennLover
08-20-2016, 11:40 PM
I wonder if Track 6 is about Glenn?

I was wondering that as well.

buffyfan145
08-21-2016, 10:18 AM
I thought the same thing and maybe with 7 too.

Delilah
09-15-2016, 12:37 PM
This is an article about Mr. Tempchin from Parade magazine. Apparently he has his own wine. He seems to be taking good care of himself. He also has a YT video about the making of "One More Song".

http://parade.com/507641/stephaniestephens/jack-tempchin-get-your-peaceful-easy-feeling-with-one-more-song/

Brooke
09-15-2016, 01:20 PM
Nice article, Delilah! Thanks for sharing!

I knew about the wine. I think a couple peeps here ordered some when it first came available. I was going to and never did.

Funk 50
06-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Jack's releasing a new CD, Peaceful Easy Feeling – The Songs Of Jack Tempchin in August.

Tempchin's on track to put out his fourth release in 24 months — Peaceful Easy Feeling – The Songs Of Jack Tempchin, available Aug. 25, will pay tribute to partner and pal Glenn Frey with Tempchin's own versions of a dozen popular tracks. Plus it will feature special guest vocalists: Rita Coolidge, Janiva Magness, Chris Hillman, and Herb Pedersen.

Jack's posted a low tech version of one of my favourite Frey songs, Soul Searching, singing with Janiva Magness, on his website.

https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/?fref=nf

I much prefer, Glenn's, averse to over singing, vocals to Jack and Javina's. It's still a great song. :bye:

Funk 50
07-12-2017, 02:42 PM
Here's Jack singing It's Your World Now, which is on his forthcoming CD, Peaceful Easy Feeling – The Songs Of Jack Tempchin, and a new song, about Glenn, Never Had The Chance To Say Goodbye which, very surprisingly isn't! :shock:

Nice location but not ideal for audio recording :neutral:

https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/

Peaceful Easy Feeling – The Songs Of Jack Tempchin
1 Peaceful Easy feeling
2 Part Of Me, Part Of You
3 Slow Dancing (with Rita Coolidge)
4 The One You Love
5 Soul Searchin' (with Janiva Magness)
6 Already Gone (with Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen)
7 Privacy
8 Everybody's Gonna love Somebody Tonight
9 Partytown
10 It's Your World Now (with Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen)

I'm not familiar with tracks 7 and 8.

There's a little write up about the album on Jack's web page
http://www.jacktempchin.com/

I also did a song called “Privacy” which Glenn and I wrote, but no one’s heard before. We’re making a video of this song…

The Rita Coolidge duet sounds a lot more promising than the beachfront busking :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
07-12-2017, 06:43 PM
"Everybody's Gonna Love Somebody Tonight" has it's own thread ( https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3213)!
On youtube, I can only find a cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOYmHjj_Q7U

It reminds me of "(Get Up) Kate", on of Glenn's early songs.

Funk 50
07-13-2017, 09:24 AM
Thank you very much for finding and posting the links UndertheWire.

Candye Kane seems to have lived a story and a half!
She died in Los Angeles on May 6, 2016, aged 54

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candye_Kane

Hi - Im candye kane. To answer your questions about who I am, I am an internationally touring blues singer/songwriter who has been nominated for five national blues awards by the national blues foundation. I have won best blues band 12 times in san diego. I am a good friend of Jack Tempchins and have recorded one of his songs on almost every one of my 11 cds. My newest cd sister vagabond, features a song Jack and Glenn wrote together called "Everybody's Gonna Love somebody Tonight." The cd will be available in stores on on Itunes on August 16th on the Delta Groove Record Label.

This is the least of it!

From Candye Kane's 2011 album Sister Vagabond

Everybody's Gonna Love Somebody Tonight
https://myzuka.me/Song/1877509/Candye-Kane-Everybodys-Gonna-Love-Somebody-Tonight :thumbsup:

Funk 50
08-12-2017, 07:29 AM
This article has the full track list, including bonus tracks, of Jack's forthcoming album; Peaceful Easy Feeling–The Songs of Jack Tempchin.

http://bestclassicbands.com/jack-tempchin-solo-collection-8-10-17/

Track List;

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Part of Me, Part of You
Slow Dancing (featuring Rita Coolidge)
The One You Love
Soul Searchin’ (featuring Janiva Magness)
Already Gone (featuring Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen)
Privacy
Everybody’s Gonna Love Somebody Tonight
Party Town
It’s Your World Now

Bonus Songs (on digital edition)
Somebody
I Found Somebody (featuring Janiva Magness)
I Did it For Your Love
You Belong to the City

I particularly look forward to hearing I Did It For Your Love ;)

Annoying Twit
08-15-2017, 09:54 AM
I'm looking forward to the album.

New Kid In Town
08-25-2017, 02:18 PM
Thanks Dawn ! Can we get Jack's cd on amazon ?

buffyfan145
08-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Just listened to "Privacy" on Spotify and really liked it!!! :D Can really imagine Glenn singing it.

Dawn
08-25-2017, 09:28 PM
Jack Tempchin Premieres Video for 'Privacy,' the Last Song He Wrote with Glenn Frey.

"Jack Tempchin, longtime collaborator and friend of the Eagles' Glenn Frey, is debuting a new video for "Privacy," a track on his Peaceful Easy Feeling: The Songs of Jack Tempchin album, available Friday (Aug. 25). "Privacy" was the final song Tempchin and Frey wrote together, though it was never recorded prior to the sessions for this album.

Glenn and I wrote this song in 2002, back when we both first became concerned about the issue of privacy," Tempchin tells Billboard. "To me, it’s become one of the main issues of our time, but most people haven’t woken up to it yet. This song and video illustrate that point in a playful and humorous way.”

http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...deo-glenn-frey

Pippinwhite
08-25-2017, 11:06 PM
On the Amazon page with Jack's CD, the songlist doesn't list who wrote the tracks, but rather, who performs them. As on "Slow Dancing," it says "by Jack Tempchin, feat. Rita Coolidge." That's who's singing the song.

Anyway, it would be a serious copyright breach for Jack not to list Glenn as a co-writer for the songs Glenn's registered as being the co-writer for. That would be a major legal snafu on Jack's part. He just couldn't do that. His publishing company would have a fit, for starters. And I don't think it would ever cross his mind, in any event.

You can check Wikipedia and Glenn and Jack are listed as co-writers on the songs where they were the writers.

Hope that clears up the confusion!

Dawn
08-25-2017, 11:31 PM
On the Amazon page with Jack's CD, the songlist doesn't list who wrote the tracks, but rather, who performs them. As on "Slow Dancing," it says "by Jack Tempchin, feat. Rita Coolidge." That's who's singing the song.

Anyway, it would be a serious copyright breach for Jack not to list Glenn as a co-writer for the songs Glenn's registered as being the co-writer for. That would be a major legal snafu on Jack's part. He just couldn't do that. His publishing company would have a fit, for starters. And I don't think it would ever cross his mind, in any event.

You can check Wikipedia and Glenn and Jack are listed as co-writers on the songs where they were the writers.

Did you get a chance to watch the video of Privacy? If so, what are your thoughts?

Freypower
08-26-2017, 12:33 AM

It did occur to me that was what was meant later on.

As for Privacy, yes, it has the Frey-Tempchin formula sound. Unfortunately it sounded to me like a poor man's Smuggler's Blues. As for shouting the word 'privacy'! as they did in songs like Partytown & It's Cold In Here, how uninspired. Wouldn't it have been nice instead of a barroom singalong we could have a brooding, Leonard Cohen type thing. But that's Henley's department. I don't even know if it would have worked with Glenn's voice. I guess we will never know, but it did nothing for me. Perhaps others will be satisfied by it.

UndertheWire
08-26-2017, 09:31 AM
The blurb on Amazon gives Glenn songwriting credit - indeed, it seems to be the Unique Selling Point for the album.

My problem with the album is that almost all the songs have been recorded by Glenn and I'd much rather hear Glenn sing them than Jack.

08-26-2017, 01:45 PM
I'm sure there is plenty of credit to Glenn that comes along with the album since the entire thing is dedicated to him.

I'm going to go ahead and order it just for sentimental reasons even though there is no doubt that I much prefer Glenn's voice to Jack's. My first thought about 'Privacy' is that is does indeed sound like a Frey-Tempchin song. I actually like it, and can't help but thinking how good it might have been with Glenn's vocal and arrangement talents.

UndertheWire
08-26-2017, 02:14 PM
I wrote down the lyrics. I don't think this is one they slaved over for months, but it rhymes and makes a point.

Privacy

They got a video zoom
In the hotel room.
The camera's in the wall.
They can watch it all.

I want my privacy.

Every call I take,
Every buck I make,
It's going on a chip,
It's going custom zip.

I want my privacy.
(Privacy)
I want my privacy.
(Privacy)
I want to lay on the couch,
just Tina and me.
I want my privacy.

Well they can see my face
From up in outer space.
The eye in the sky
Knows when I'm getting high.

I want my privacy.

Big business wants to make a sale.
The government says they've got bad guys to nail.
Everybody thinks that gives them the right
To keep on watching me day and night.

I want my privacy.
(Privacy)
I want my privacy.
(My privacy)
Big brother's watching me.
Hey, let me be!
I want my privacy.

It's the american way
To say get out of my face.
They say that's how things are.
I say they've gone too far.

I want my privacy.
And I can't steal a kiss.
How can we live like this?
I want my privacy.

My TV is watching me.
Hey brother, I want my privacy.

Dawn
08-26-2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks UTW

I thought the video was fun - in a "cheesy" kinda way, which given the props they used lololol may be exactly what they were going for.

Also, I really like Jack and it's good to see him playing his music, still living and loving the dream.

Freypower
08-26-2017, 06:37 PM
Well, OK, I have no problem with Tempchin doing this, although I was under the obviously mistaken impression that there were in fact more unheard songs than Privacy & the other one with the clunky title (Everybody's Gonna Love Somebody Tonight; I mean, which major Eagles song does that remind you of)?

Yes, it makes a point, but not well enough. Perhaps I'm too old for this type of music now. I prefer more sophistication. Glenn would have made it sound more listenable, there is no doubt about that. If this is in fact the last song he wrote, that's a shame in my view. But according to a previous post it was written in 2002.

I suppose the other question is why does the album not include the tribute song Tempchin wrote?

Pippinwhite
08-26-2017, 09:13 PM
I truly appreciate Jack's tribute to Glenn. It was heartfelt and lovely. I'm also glad he's still writing, still productive, still doing what he loves.

But (you could hear it coming, couldn't you?), it also does not follow that songwriters are always good singers. Jack's voice is all right; he can carry a tune. But he's not a GREAT singer. So, some of these songs don't come through as well, mostly because we all remember them sung by someone who was a GREAT singer. Glenn had a beautiful voice, one suited equally well to singing ballads or rockers. That's a hard balance to strike. Plus, he knew how to interpret a song, which Jack can also do.

"Privacy" is interesting, but I couldn't help but think Glenn would have added an element of fun vocally, rather like he does in "Partytown." You can hear him grinning through the whole thing. But you know, Glenn didn't record too many clunkers. There are some songs where I wish the arrangement had been better ("Don't Give Up" comes to mind), but overall, he knew how to pick a good song to record. Part of that is also knowing which ones to leave alone, which may be where "Privacy" fell in his estimation. Just my feelings on the subject.

Nevertheless, I have to send virtual hugs to Jack for so publicly acknowledging his friend and co-writer, and most especially, for reminding people Glenn was a good person and a good friend. My thanks to him.

Funk 50
08-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the Privacy lyrics UndertheWire. If I could suggest a correction; "It's gonna cost 'em zip."

Privacy doesn't do much for me but if there are any great Frey tracks to be released in the future, I wouldn't want JT to be the lead singer. I'm pleased that his new album will feature some talented guest vocalists. It's a great bunch of songs.

groupie2686
08-28-2017, 01:13 PM
I didn't care for "Privacy." It sounded along the same lines as "Livin' Right" or "Love in the 21st Century," neither of which I care much for, but not even as good as those. As many have said, Jack Tempchin, for all his songwriting talents, is not a singer. Maybe Glenn could have done something more with this. But, Glenn was such a perfectionist, if this didn't make the final cut, perhaps there was good reason.

I doubt this was the last song Glenn wrote. If this was 2002, the songs from Long Road Out of Eden came after this. (I know they worked on LROE for years, but I would think at least some of the songs on it were written after 2002). Maybe it was the last song he wrote with Tempchin?

Tempchin wrote a poem after Glenn died and posted it on his facebook page. It would have been nice if he put music to this and put it on this album.

Freypower
08-28-2017, 05:38 PM
I didn't care for "Privacy." It sounded along the same lines as "Livin' Right" or "Love in the 21st Century," neither of which I care much for, but not even as good as those. As many have said, Jack Tempchin, for all his songwriting talents, is not a singer. Maybe Glenn could have done something more with this. But, Glenn was such a perfectionist, if this didn't make the final cut, perhaps there was good reason.

I doubt this was the last song Glenn wrote. If this was 2002, the songs from Long Road Out of Eden came after this. (I know they worked on LROE for years, but I would think at least some of the songs on it were written after 2002). Maybe it was the last song he wrote with Tempchin?

Tempchin wrote a poem after Glenn died and posted it on his facebook page. It would have been nice if he put music to this and put it on this album.

Not only was there a poem, but there was an actual song called There's No Goodbye. It beggars belief why this is not on this album. He offered it for download on his webpage.

A couple of Glenn's LROOE songs were written with Tempchin & they were presumbably written after Privacy. But still that's seven years between LROOE & Glenn's death. Is that REALLY all there is? It's just so sad. You go back through this thread & some of us did assume that there would be more than two songs which had not been recorded by Glenn.

Brooke
08-29-2017, 11:33 AM
I assume this is the album that Jack talked about coming out when some of us went to his show in LA in January?

I'm not a big fan of Jack's voice either, but was so touched that he apparently thought so much of Glenn that he wanted to honor him with this album. Strange that it doesn't have TNG on it. :headscratch:

chaim
08-29-2017, 11:44 AM
I think Privacy is a nice little tune - it doesn't try to be something magnificent. It would be a nice album track, but it's not strong enough to be highlighted with a video. I think the lyric would be better if it contained some funny stuff in a Joe Walsh kind of way. Perhaps Joe should even sing it! (I'm thinking of something like Analog Man.)

I think I like Jack's version more than I would have liked a Glenn version. This one works with a singer who's not a great singer.

groupie2686
08-29-2017, 01:10 PM
I didn't know Tempchin wrote a tribute song too...I agree with you all, that should have been on his album.

It's a matter of taste, I suppose, but since Privacy is being presented as the last (or one of the last) Frey/Tempchin collaborations, it is underwhelming. The gesture is nice, though.

Funk 50
09-01-2017, 01:11 PM
Jack's new album is a collection of songs he wrote with Glenn or were sung by Glenn (apart from Johnny Rivers' hit, Slow Dancing), the most recent apparently being from 2002, most are a decades older. As such, There's No Goodbye doesn't quite fit into the concept of the album.

I think it'd be a bit like one of those orphan songs, that were added added to 90s Greatest Hits compilations, that end up being neglected and forgotten, like Don's, You Don't Know Me At All.

Hopefully Jack 'll release it in the not too distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack has been moved to write several songs inspired by Glenn.

Freypower
09-01-2017, 07:09 PM
Jack's new album is a collection of songs he wrote with Glenn, (apart from Johnny Rivers' hit, Slow Dancing), the most recent aparently being from 2002, most are a decades older. As such, There's No Goodbye doesn't quite fit into the concept of the album.

I think it'd be a bit like one of those orphan songs, that were added added to 90s Greatest Hits compilations, that end up being neglected and forgotten, like Don's, You Don't Know Me At All.

Hopefully Jack 'll release it in the not too distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if Jack has been moved to write several songs inspired by Glenn.

Well, yes, if you wish to take pedantry to the point of absurdity, it was not written with Glenn. Obviously. But the album is meant as a 'tribute' and therefore surely it would not have stretched the boundaries too far if it had been included. If it had, who knows. Perhaps more people may have been inclined to buy it.

Yes, it probably will be 'neglected & forgotten' but is there really any need to SAY so? I would also add that YDKMAA is not a good comparison, as it is held in high regard by many dedicated Henley fans.

As for the 'wouldn't be surprised' comment, how generous. At least Tempchin HAS made some sort of effort, whether the song is 'forgotten' or not. It is more than I can say for other former colleagues of Frey. Who cares. I downloaded it & its existence means something to some of us who actually cared about Frey.

UndertheWire
09-08-2017, 07:25 AM
Here's a recent interview from Jack along with extracts from his new album.
https://www.facebook.com/JackTempchin/posts/10156646379854816

NightMistBlue
09-14-2017, 04:47 PM
There's also this September 7 interview with American Songwriter, wherein he speaks about his songwriting process with Glenn and other topics:
http://americansongwriter.com/2017/09/jack-tempchins-peaceful-journey/

FreyFollower
09-14-2017, 07:30 PM
Thank you NMB and UTW, for those links to Jack's interviews. Love Jack!

New Kid In Town
09-15-2017, 01:57 AM
UTW & NMB - TY for both links.

Annoying Twit
10-21-2017, 03:35 AM
I missed some of this discussion. What's the current situation regarding the album? Any release date yet?

scottside
10-21-2017, 09:36 AM
I missed some of this discussion. What's the current situation regarding the album? Any release date yet?

It's been out since the end of August. I bought it out of curiosity and because I've always liked Jack's stuff, but on the whole, I found it underwhelming. A couple of the performances struck me as being on the strange side.

Annoying Twit
10-22-2017, 03:06 AM
Woah! I should have checked Spotify and further up the thread before posting.

Having listened to the album on Spotify, I must admit that my opinion matches yours. It's nice to hear the songs done again, but perhaps the arrangements could have been a bit more novel.

Delilah
11-08-2018, 02:39 PM
Congratulations to Jack Tempchin for his nomination for induction into the 2019 Songwriters Hall of Fame! :cheers:

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/missy-elliott-leads-2019-songwriters-hall-of-fame-nominees-1203022107/

(the previous code for formatting the title isn’t working so I’m just posting the direct link)

NightMistBlue
11-08-2018, 02:41 PM
Bless his heart - I would have assumed he's already in!

Brooke
11-08-2018, 02:59 PM
Certainly deserved! Congrats to Jack!

New Kid In Town
11-08-2018, 04:57 PM
Wow - how cool ! Congratulation to Jack - well deserved !

FreyFollower
11-09-2018, 02:04 AM
Bless his heart - I would have assumed he's already in!

I would have assumed so too, NMB! A great writer and seems like a great guy! Good for him!

11-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Yep - A big CONGRATS to Jack! This is long overdue, indeed.

priscillaupstate
01-12-2019, 10:16 AM
On CBS This Morning Saturday this video was shown. There's an ad that you can skip in a few seconds. Eagles are represented!

Songwriters Hall of Fame class of 2019: Missy Elliott becomes first female hip-hop artist inducted (https://www.cbsnews.com/video/songwriters-hall-of-fame-class-of-2019-missy-elliott-becomes-first-female-hip-hop-artist-inducted/)

If link doesn't work you can cut and search.:yay:

01-12-2019, 02:20 PM
Thanks so much for posting this, priscilla. The link worked fine for me.

I hope you don't mind, but I moved your post since Jack has his own thread - I figured this would be easier for folks to search for in the future if it is in Jack's thread.

Delilah
01-12-2019, 02:37 PM
I’m so glad he made it in. Congratulations to Mr. Tempchin!

Thanks for sharing, priscillaupstate.

Glennsallnighter
01-15-2019, 08:10 AM
Congratulations from me to Jack too. Made all the sweeter by the fact that this was announced almost 2 years to the date of some of us Borderers going to a small show he was doing in LA and meeting him afterwards.

Brooke
01-15-2019, 03:47 PM
Congratulations from me to Jack too. Made all the sweeter by the fact that this was announced almost 2 years to the date of some of us Borderers going to a small show he was doing in LA and meeting him afterwards.

So happy for Jack!

And yes, Ga, such great memories! And we have a photo with him too, somewhere!

01-16-2019, 11:34 AM
Yep - what a fun night that was for us girls! I loved all of Jack's stories about Glenn.