PDA

View Full Version : Memphis, TN 11-16-08

DonFan
11-17-2008, 10:58 PM
The concert was fabulous! We had a great time and the guys seemed to be having fun too, in spite of the fact that they are in the middle of a very busy schedule of appearances right now. Maybe that is why they seem to be only playing one encore these days.

I don't have time to post all the details now, but I can tell you that we did manage to get our roses onstage, and that is a story in itself. Lynda took yellow roses for Timothy and I took red roses for Don, and we attached a little card to the cellophane wrapper with their name on each bouquet, along with a little note that basically said "thanks for so many years of wonderful music." Timothy's roses landed right at his feet and he looked like he loved them--he carried them all over the stage and waved them to the crowd as he was taking his final bow. Don's roses inadvertently landed at Joe's feet and he picked them up and didn't see the note, so he carried them all over the stage thinking they were his. I have the funniest picture of Timothy hugging his roses and Don right beside him, just looking at the flowers. Lynda and I laughed at the thought of the four of them backstage when Joe finally saw the note saying "FOR DON" on his roses!

I'll post more later....

sodascouts
11-18-2008, 12:53 AM
lol! Poor Joe!

Peekaboo
11-18-2008, 04:54 AM
Can't wait to see your pics Dana!! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time. Too bad Don didn't get the roses. That is a funny thought about Joe realizing they were for Don.

DonFan
11-18-2008, 11:32 AM
I am a little more rested now, so I can finally post about the show:

Our seats were third row, right in front of Joe and Steuart. Lynda would have preferred to be on Timothy's side of course, but he did walk over to the right side of the stage several times. I can't tell you how great it is to be that close! We were amazed at the number of people on the front two rows who did not stand up during any of the songs, however. I guess they thought they were so close that they didn't need to stand. So when she & I stood up, we were in full view of the band. I had on a bright orange sweater and she wore a black top with sequins so it was hard to miss us! Lots of eye contact, especially from Joe and Glenn, who was the charming host as always. And since we were so close, I didn't even think about getting out my camera until the very end of the show. More on that later.

These are random thoughts in no particular order.

Glenn greeted the Memphis crowd warmly and said what an honor it was to play in a city who had been host to so many musical greats, and rapidly listed off about a dozen names. We got lots of little snippets of other songs at this show, including over half of "My Girl." Glenn started singing that one and the whole band chimed in.

Later in the night, Glenn & Joe shared a mic and sang most of the Chuck Berry song "Hello Operator, Give me Memphis Tennessee." The crowd loved it!

When Timothy said, "It's my time to say hello to Memphis," he said he lived in Memphis for about eight weeks when he was in Poco and came here to cut an album. When he said, "Can you imagine finishing an album in two months?" he looked at Don & they both laughed. Then he told that story about Paul Carrack and sang a bit of "Tempted By the Fruit of Another" while doing a little soft-shoe dance. Very cute.

When Glenn stepped forward for the band intros, he said "Hit me Dave," and did that little "Ow!" when the spotlight hit him. Don had great fun doing little drum riffs after each name during the intros, and Will Hollis played a few bars of "Yellow Rose of Texas" when Don was introduced. Glenn mentioned that Will was working with Dancing with the Stars, and when he introduced Joe he said, "Last but not lost..." Glenn also did the comment about "Here is the botanical portion of the show" when they sang NMCD, and did the "This is track 8, after 7 and before 9" bit.

During "Life's Been Good" Joe sang "They send me emails and tell me Glenn's great," and "I have a limo and ride in the back, I lock the doors and say WHASSSUPPPP?"

No real talking from Don other than his standard "We're going to take a break and come back and play a really long time" bit before Long Run. I love how he adds little bits during Long Run when he really gets rocking at the end.

Prettymaid
11-18-2008, 11:48 AM
Good review DF! Maybe the guys are reading about how the fans want them to mix it up a little and have some fun! Sounds like you got a good show! Hope Joe gave Don his roses!

DonFan
11-18-2008, 11:55 AM
Part 2:

The second half of the show is always my favorite, when they come out and sing the gorgeous NMWITW and WITW. Being that close and being able to watch their faces and hear every note crystal clear was just breathtaking. Long Road was simply amazing as well, and the audience
loved it.

The couple in front of me kept holding up a sign for Joe that said--"How Ya Doin'?" It was obvious he knew them because he kept grinning and waving, so during the break I asked them about it. She said her stepdaughter was named Lisa Pritchard Johnson and she and Joe had a relationship for several years in the 1980s, and that Joe had been to their house many times for dinner. It was during a time when they were both heavily into drugs, so she said she was glad Joe had been able to get clean for the Eagles resumption. When they broke up, her stepdaughter got into a relationship with John Entwistle of The Who, who died, and her stepdaughter also died, of an overdose. I told her I was so sorry for her loss, and she told me to Google her name when I got home so I did. The story is true. I continue to be amazed at the people you meet at Eagles concerts!

Anyway, she was with a tall man who was closer to the stage than we were, so I told her we had roses for Timothy and Don but I didn't think we would be able to throw them on the stage. I asked if he could help us out and she said sure. Most everyone in our section finally stood out and rocked to most of the songs at the end, including Somebody and LITFL, and all too soon they were coming back for the encore. When Don stepped forward to sing Desperado I handed her the two bouquets of flowers. Everyone started taking pictures then, so I took out my camera and snapped several pictures until Don did "the glare" so I stopped. When the lights came up and they did their bows, the man pitched Lynda's yellow roses at Timothy's feet and he got them. When he pitched my red roses at Don, Joe saw them and since they were coming from the couple he knew in the audience, he thought they were for him, so that is why he never looked at the note while they were onstage! Too funny. I took several pictures of the guys holding the flowers and waving, so I will try to post them later.

A fantastic show as always!

ticky
11-18-2008, 12:03 PM
GREAT Review DF and terrific story about Joe and Lisa *G* Thanks for sharing that. I think that WHEN (I am sooo happy I can say WHEN instead of IF) I go to the concert, I'll take Joe some roses and a note that says "THESE are for YOU, Joe!" I cant wait to see your pictures!!!

DonFan
11-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Ticky. You really do need to take roses for Joe. The couple who knew him said they wish they had thought of that, too! Maybe we have started a trend!

These shows get better all the time. There is nothing like the sound of 15,000 people all singing “Take it to the Limit.” I think it is wonderful that they are tailoring the shows to the crowd in each city, like adding a picture of the FedEx Forum to the graphics behind Joe's "In the City." They’ll prob sing Randy Newman’s “Birmingham” here.

Tickets to the Birmingham show went on sale yesterday. The minute I walked in the door, my 16-yr-old daughter Christina asked me to buy seats for her and her four friends to go to the Bham show. Cheap seats are all I can afford now, but of course I did it. Gonna blow it out on my last Eagles concert for a loooooooong while. My VISA is maxed out with tix charges. (Talk about Take it to the Limit!) Ouch!

eaglesvet
11-18-2008, 01:02 PM
I was actually thinking of bringing chocolate roses (or maybe chocolate guitars??) from Hershey's Chocolate World for the guys...it gives me an excuse to buy lots of chocolate! I'll be sure to keep the "tamper-proof seal" intact so they don't think I laced them with anything undesirable. However, if DF thought it was tricky to get the roses onstage from the 3rd row, I'd better start warming up my pitching arm to get them up there from the 7th row...either that, or pull a "Tulsa Henley" and part the crowd, getting everyone to pass them up to the band that way! BTW, does anyone know if Don usually gives up his drumsticks to someone in the crowd like he did for that little boy in Tulsa?

DonFan
11-18-2008, 02:28 PM
The chocolates sound like a great idea, EV.
Don doesn't always give out drumsticks, just every so often and usually only to children.

DonFan
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Review: They're the Eagles -- what can you say?

Fans seem OK with uneven concert at FedExForum

By Bob Mehr (http://www.gomemphis.com/staff/bob-mehr/) (Contact (http://www.gomemphis.com/staff/bob-mehr/contact/)), GoMemphis.com (http://gomemphis.com/)
Originally published 04:08 p.m., November 17, 2008

How, or more accurately, why would anyone bother criticizing the Eagles at this point? Four decades and 120 million albums into their career, they're a group that has thrived on the slings and arrows directed at them by the press and their haters, actually reveling in the fact that they've been demonized far and wide for their rock-and-roll excess and success. Even the laid-back Dude, the protagonist in the Coen Brothers' "The Big Lebowski," famously ranted "I hate the (expletive) Eagles, man."
http://media.gomemphis.com/gmem/content/img/photos/2008/11/17/18eagles_t220.jpeg (http://media.gomemphis.com/gmem/content/img/photos/2008/11/17/18eagles.jpeg) Brandon Dill/The Commercial Appeal
Don Henley delivers most of the strong vocal moments at Sunday's show.

As the group rolled into FedExForum Sunday night, in support of Long Road Out of Eden, their first new studio album since 1979, they remained the very picture of defiance -- even if their edges have been sanded down, and a self-referential humor has come to replace the smug arrogance of their '70s heyday.

That's why it would be churlish to point out that the Eagles took the stage in suits, dressed like bankers, and occasionally played with all the enthusiasm of a group of bored loan officers. For the near-capacity crowd that filled the arena, none of that mattered. By the time a lonely bolero trumpet signaled the start of "Hotel California" a few songs into the set, the audience was sold, eagerly anticipating each of the hits that followed from "Peaceful Easy Feeling" to "Witchy Woman" to "Lyin' Eyes."

While drummer Don Henley delivered most of the standout vocal moments, his partner Glenn Frey handled the bulk of the in-between song banter, and got off a number of good lines, recalling his hometown of Detroit as "the fertilizer of my genius" and a city where "mother is half a word."

Ever-goofy guitarist Joe Walsh provided most of the evening's sparks, turning out a trio of songs from his own catalog, including an especially spirited romp through "Life's Been Good." Walsh -- who spent a couple years living here in the late '80s -- even managed to get Frey to show a little local love, as they duetted on a version of Chuck Berry's "Memphis, Tennessee" which then segued into his James Gang signature "Funk #49."

Lithe, soft-spoken bassist Timothy B. Schmit also got his turn in the spotlight, delivering a handful of soulful ballads like "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and the Hi Records-influenced "I Can't Tell You Why" (though you had to wonder if 14 handicap golfer Frey was already thinking about his morning tee time when he congratulated Schmit with a strangely detached and robotic: "Thanks, Timothy... that ...was ... great.")

Carrying a full horn section, a trio of pianists/ keyboardists, a multi-instrumentalist and an extra percussionist, at times they sounded more like the Eagles Show Band and Revue, than a lean rock-and-roll outfit. But guitarist Steuart Smith capably filled the role of "Fifth Eagle" -- replacing the deposed Don Felder -- and his polished pop playing was a clear highlight as he nailed solo after solo on everything from "One of These Nights" to Henley's "Boys of Summer."

Unfortunately, the pacing of the show was poorly planned. A batch of mostly new, and frankly snoozy, songs followed a long intermission, making the set feel particularly flabby in the middle. The guitar-heavy title track of the new album was meant to be the dramatic centerpiece of the show. Written as a barbed criticism of the war in Iraq and the decaying state of American politics, policy and culture, it simply came off as ham-handed and po-faced (although listening to Henley -- a man whose '70s motto for bagging chicks was "Love 'em and Lear 'em" -- railing against the dangers of environmental abuse and global warming, never gets any less funny or ironic).

For a tour that's expected to gross tens of millions of dollars, the Eagles also should've invested in some better production values. Their JumboTron graphics were a curiously inept mix of stock footage (the sight of urban youths chest bumping during "In the City" was particularly hilarious) and images that looked like screen savers; it was almost a shock when a squadron of flying toasters didn't materialize.

But, of course, the crowd didn't come for such frills, but rather to hear the band's catalog of familiar to ubiquitous songs. On that count they delivered, mixing solo favorites like "Dirty Laundry" and surefire floor fillers like "The Long Run," bringing things full circle as they encored with the song that launched their career, "Take It Easy."

By show's end, as the four Eagles lingered onstage, soaking up the applause and scooping up bouquets of flowers, it was hard not to be won over -- if not by their music, then by the sheer unwavering self-belief that's carried them this far.

In the spirit of the above-mentioned Big Lebowski, I feel like ranting, "I hate this (expletive) Eagles review, man."

Poor pacing? Nope.

"Snoozy" songs after the intermission? Only snoozy to you, bub.

Invest in some better production values? Are you kidding? I was at the Eagles show, Bob--what show were YOU watching?

Why would anybody bother criticising the Eagles at this point? You tell me, Bob Mehr, since you contradicted your lead throughout this piece. I think the real question should be--since you obviously dislike the Eagles, why did you bother writing this review?

At least the flowers got a mention.:roll:

eaglesvet
11-18-2008, 04:09 PM
If it would be churlish to point out how the Eagles appeared and performed as they did, then one Bob Mehr must be a churl...because he went ahead and pointed it out!!

I completely don't see his reasoning within the thoughts about how "funny or ironic" it is to hear Don sing about the dangers of environmental abuse, relative to his prior motto about "bagging chicks." What does one have to do with the other?? Everyone knows about all the environmental causes that Don has championed, so in no way is it ironic nor unbelievable when he writes or sings songs about the subject. But there is no relation there as to how he used to attract women---that whole thought process doesn't make sense! And BTW, what did he mean by "Lear" em--obviously a reference to Shakespeare's King Lear, but in what way? (Sorry, my Shakespeare is not quite up to snuff in all his plays...)

And I think it is really cool that the flower bouquets got noticed and publicized--good work!

eaglesvet
11-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I just thought of another reference...could it mean Lear jet, and he was just leaving them behind by flying away into the sunset?

DonFan
11-18-2008, 06:12 PM
EV, "Love 'em and Lear 'em" was a phrase attributed to Don when he was dating Stevie Nicks, when he sent a Lear jet to pick her up after a Fleetwood Mac concert and flew her to where he was.

eaglesvet
11-18-2008, 06:19 PM
Sounds like it could've been more women than just Stevie Nicks??

Freypower
11-18-2008, 06:25 PM
EV - what an interesting idea! A King Lear reference. I think Waiting In The Weeds concerns the line 'ripeness is all'! And some of their more world weary songs bring to mind 'let me wipe (my hand) first/it smells of mortality'. I will stop there, I think.

DF, thank you for the review and for your comments about the official review. How apt.

The My Girl thing sounds more intriguing by the minute. I do have Glenn singing the whole song. If I saw such a thing I would faint.

Peekaboo
11-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks, Ticky. You really do need to take roses for Joe. The couple who knew him said they wish they had thought of that, too! Maybe we have started a trend!

Although i thought i felt like a big dork carrying roses into the arena a week ago, i did hear other people saying they wish they thought of that too. And it turned out to be a really great idea. I say let's keep the trend going.

eaglesvet
11-18-2008, 09:06 PM
PB, what row were you in again?

sodascouts
11-19-2008, 02:58 PM
Yeah, Don did the Lear jet thing several times. Yeah, that burned a lot of fuel. However, it was THIRTY FREAKING YEARS AGO. I guess Don's twenty years of hard work promoting the environment are absolutely meaningless as a result eh?

You're right CM - by his own admission, he is a churl!

DF - very cool that the flowers got mentioned. Just wish the rest of the review had been as cool.

TimothyBFan
11-19-2008, 07:17 PM
DF--so cool that the roses were mentioned in that article. Glad you had a great time!!!!

Glennsallnighter
11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
Yes, great about the Roses DF and I'm delighted you both had such a good time. Pity about the review!! :roll:.

next time I'm definitely bringing Roses for Glenn :heart:

DonFan
11-20-2008, 04:17 PM
We aren't the only ones who noticed the scathing review. From the "Memphis Music Confidential" online site:

The CA’s music critic and the Eagles rocker traded heckles in the pages of the Commercial Appeal last week, making for some scintillating reading.

First up: Mehr’s preview (http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2008/nov/10/concert-preview-eagles-are-still-flying-high-don-h/) of the Eagles’ FedEx Forum concert. Henley popped off some barbed one-liners, including “If having astute management and conducting business in a smart, professional way is a crime, then we plead guilty;” “Well, if I’m not a lifer already, then I don’t know who is… I’m not quite ready to sit around and whittle;” and “We couldn’t care less about what the critics think or where we “rate” in the rock canon, if such a thing even exists.” Queried about his future goals, Henley retorted, “Burning ambition? Them’s pretty strong words, Hoss.”

Mehr zinged him right back in this review (http://www.gomemphis.com/news/2008/nov/17/review-theyre-the-eagles----what-can-you-say/) of the Eagles’ “uneven” performance on Sunday night. His opener: “How, or more accurately, why would anyone bother criticizing the Eagles at this point? Four decades and 120 million albums into their career, they’re a group that has thrived on the slings and arrows directed at them by the press and their haters, actually reveling in the fact that they’ve been demonized far and wide for their rock-and-roll excess and success. Even the laid-back Dude, the protagonist in the Coen Brothers’ ‘The Big Lebowski,’ famously ranted ‘I hate the (expletive) Eagles, man.’” Mehr noted that “the Eagles took the stage in suits, dressed like bankers, and occasionally played with all the enthusiasm of a group of bored loan officers.” Then he nailed Glen Frey, writing that “you had to wonder if 14 handicap golfer Frey was already thinking about his morning tee time when he congratulated [Eagles bassist Timothy] Schmit with a strangely detached and robotic: ‘Thanks, Timothy… that …was … great.’” Other words used to describe the show: “Ham-handed and po-faced,” “flabby” and “ironic.”

But in the end, it’s a draw.
As even Mehr concluded, “By show’s end, as the four Eagles lingered onstage, soaking up the applause and scooping up bouquets of flowers, it was hard not to be won over — if not by their music, then by the sheer unwavering self-belief that’s carried them this far.”

Peekaboo
11-20-2008, 08:13 PM
PB, what row were you in again?

I was in the 2nd row at the Tulsa concert last tuesday.

glenneaglesfan
11-22-2008, 10:30 AM
DF, I'm so glad you had such a great evening and thanks for your review! It's a great idea about the roses, and how ironic that that bolshy reviewer commented on them.

Can't wait to see your pics!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Sorry, I'm just getting around to reading these reviews. DF - I'm thrilled that you and Lynda had such great seats and a great time in Memphis. And the roses are just plain cool - even if Joe did steal Don's away from him. :D It was extra cool that your roses even got a mention from the critic. Now, is it just me or does it seem like we just can't get enough of these guys??? :wink: :wink:

sodascouts
12-15-2008, 12:26 AM
DF sent me these Memphis photos to put up for her. Thanks, DF!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/danamemphis/photo-0001.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/danamemphis/photo-0002.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/danamemphis/photo-0003.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/danamemphis/photo-0004.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/danamemphis/photo-0005.jpg

Peekaboo
12-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Those are great pics Dana. I see Joe has Don's roses. I wonder if Joe ever realized that they were meant for Don.

TimothyBFan
12-15-2008, 09:54 AM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/danamemphis/photo-0003.jpg

AAHH!!! Look at that face!!!!:inlove:

DonFan
12-15-2008, 10:09 AM
NOW you guys see what I mean. We were right there in front of them and it just killed me to see Timothy cradling his roses with that adorable expression on his face and Don standing there, looking at him, empty-handed. I kept screaming "The red roses are yours, Don!" but no one could hear me over the cheering & clapping. As you can see from the other picture, Joe had those red roses and he wasn't letting them go. It was just crazy!

EagleLady
12-15-2008, 10:44 AM
Awww You should've bought an extra set of roses for Joe. Poor Joe :hug:

Ive always been a dreamer
12-15-2008, 11:50 AM
Aw - thanks for the great pics, DF. That one of Tim and Don is so cute. Tim's seems so happy with his roses, as Don looks on enviously. Oh well, I guess Joe figures if they land at his feet, then they're his for the taking. :wink:

EagleLady
12-15-2008, 11:51 AM
:lol: If Rhonda landed at his feet does that mean she's his?

ticky
12-15-2008, 12:38 PM
hehehe I guess we'll find out!!

EagleLady
12-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I'm sure we could arrange something ;)