PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Singers

Freypower
11-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Don is 87th.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/87

Here is the list:

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/coverstory/24161972/page/103

I am well aware that Glenn Frey will never make a list like this. However, I think that he is a better singer than people like Steven Tyler and Morrissey. I had to click on Toots Hibbert, who I had never heard of.

GlennLover
11-16-2008, 11:19 PM
I agree FP. I love Glenn's voice, whether he is singing a tender ballad or rockin'. He is so versatile. He has said himself that he doesn't have a rock & roll voice, but I disagree. Just listen to Out of Control or Outlaw Man, for instance. I guess for rock & roll though, people with voice's like you mentioned are going to be chosen by Rolling Stone. :-(

Peekaboo
11-17-2008, 08:39 AM
Glad to see that Don made the list seeing how this was done by Rolling Stone. Although of course I think that he should have been ranked a lot closer to number one than that.

sodascouts
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Very cool that Don made the list! Glenn, unfortunately, just seems to slip under the radar despite the fact that his voice is very powerful, emotive, and rich. I agree that he can rock with the best of them in addition to his ballads. Indeed, I love it when he rocks out!

I'm so glad Don receives recognition, though, but I have to agree with Peekaboo that he deserved to be higher.

Brooke
11-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I'm glad Don made the list, but think he should be higher too. His smokey, raspy voice is what made me love him all these years. :nod:

Glenn has a beautiful voice too. I guess it's just not got that something to it that makes it different. I'll always love his voice on songs like Peaceful Easy Feeling and Tequila Sunrise. He sounds so sweet. :heart:

eaglesvet
11-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I don't know how they came up with that list, but I think much of it is questionable. I'm assuming that if it says "Aretha Franklin by Mary Blige", that Mary nominated Aretha--is that correct? Then, how are the solitary names on the list? And Neil Young or Prince better voices than Don??? I think not!

TimothyBFan
11-17-2008, 12:32 PM
I have to say I disagree with a lot of this list, if not who's on it, at least the order of them. That might be a good topic in Cheap Talk And Wine--we can all name our top 10! We have to sign a disclosure first that says we promise the top 4 on each of our lists are not ALL Eagles members!:)

Troubadour
11-17-2008, 12:53 PM
Good idea, Willie! Although I think it's quite obvious who my No. 1 will be.

I'm really glad Don made the list, although I think he deserves to be MUCH higher. I think Brooke hit the nail on the head with her comments regarding Glenn's voice. I have an even deeper appreciation of Glenn's voice after watching Live In Dublin for the first time today! Rich and emotive indeed.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-17-2008, 06:00 PM
IMHO, most of these types of lists are a bunch of crap because they are so subjective and everyone has different criteria for them.

Don definitely deserves to be higher than #87 and some of the people that are ranked higher than him are just laughable to me. Equally laughable to me is some of the names that didn't make the list. As far as I'm concerned, Glenn is one of the most underrated singers ever. What makes him so special and unique to me is the versatility and range of his voice. His voice can be as smooth and soft as velvet in songs like Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise, The One You Love, and You Are Not Alone. Then when he sings uptempo songs such as Already Gone, Heartache Tonight, How Long, and Somebody, he has a very raw and raspy quality to his voice. I hear many people remark that they would never guess that it's the same person singing many of Glenn's songs. To me, this is one of the highest compliments you can pay a singer. I've said this before on this board, but one of my criteria that I appreciate the most when listening to an artist is that all their songs don't sound the same. In fact, this is one of the main reasons why I have always loved the Eagles. :nod: :nod: :nod:

Freypower
11-17-2008, 06:47 PM
I don't know how they came up with that list, but I think much of it is questionable. I'm assuming that if it says "Aretha Franklin by Mary Blige", that Mary nominated Aretha--is that correct? Then, how are the solitary names on the list? And Neil Young or Prince better voices than Don??? I think not!

I think some of the articles near the top were written by another artist as a tribute, so Van Morrison wrote about Sam Cooke (I don't know - give me David Ruffin or the late Levi Stubbs any day, but there you are).

I should have said that I thought Don should have been ranked higher, but I suppose they have to cater to everybody.

Brooke, I do think that Glenn has that 'something' which makes his voice different. Where do I start? But I put this in Don's forum because he made the list, which he thoroughly deserved.

TBF's suggestion is a good one. You know how much I love Top 10s. I might start it now.