PDA

View Full Version : Washington, D.C. 11-20-08

Ive always been a dreamer
11-22-2008, 03:18 AM
Well as many of you all know, I haven’t had a lot of time to spend here on the board lately so I didn’t post that I was going to the D.C. show at the Verizon Center on Thursday night. I decided to wait until I got to the venue to purchase my ticket. As we have said before, it is risky to do this. If I were only going to one or two shows and wanted to ensure that I got a very good seat, I wouldn’t go this route. However, since I am fortunate enough to get to go to several shows a year, I feel like even if I don’t get the best seat every time, it’ll work out in the long run. Last night, I struck gold. I scored a 5th row seat on the outside aisle on Joe’s side. I honestly wasn’t impressed when I purchased it, but once I got in arena, I had an awesome view and was very satisfied with it. However, I spotted two empty seats on the 2nd row directly in front of Joe. I kept my eye on them, and when no one sat in them during the first half, I decided to “upgrade” my seat at the intermission. To say the least, I was absolutely thrilled to be sitting 2nd row right center, especially considering I paid face value.

The only downside of the entire evening was at the beginning. I got to my seat around 7:20 (the show time was 7:30). I figured that I had plenty of time to go get a glass of wine since the show probably wouldn’t start until at least 7:45 – WRONG! I had just gotten my wine, and was going back to my seat when at 7:37, I heard the opening chords of How Long. I hurriedly rushed back inside the arena, but not before I missed the first verse of the song! I was momentarily mortified! I’ve never known them to start so close to show time. I’m thinking there must have been a curfew.

The show was great as usual, and I thought the guys were all in good spirits and upbeat on this night. I’ll try to highlight a few things that were a little different from other shows.

I didn’t notice anything very different in most of the first set. However, Glenn did introduce Lyin’ Eyes by saying that back in the 70’s, he and Don used to frequent this restaurant next door to The Troubadour called Dan Tana’s. Every night they observed the same scene over and over, and it inspired them to write this song. Even though it was long, they wrote it in only two days (then he shrugged his shoulders and gave a long exaggerated sigh). Then, paused and said that they did a lot of things quickly in those days. :twisted:

When Don introduced The Long Run, he mentioned that it was Joe’s birthday – that “he turned 31 today”.

This has been mentioned before, I think, but I noticed at the beginning of the 2nd set that they have replaced Silent Spring with some other music that I don’t recognize. It is pretty enough, but if I may just offer a suggestion here if you are listening Glenn – I believe that I Dreamed There Was No War would fit in beautifully here – after all, this is the Long Road Out of Eden tour. :hmm:

Even though No More Walks in the Wood is no Seven Bridges Road, IMHO, it is very compelling when performed live. It is truly amazing to hear their voices in full a cappella harmony.

After Waiting In the Weeds, Glenn said that it was one of his favorite tracks from the new album, and that Don wrote it with Steuart, and then introduced NMCD as Track 8.

When Tim introduced LWKUA, he went into the spiel about it being written by Paul Carrack. He mentioned all the bands that Paul had been in. He even sang a few lines of one of Paul’s songs to ‘refresh’ everyone’s memory (it must not have worked very well on me though because I can’t remember what song it was :D). Then he said “oh well, he’s not here tonight, but we are”. Of course, he got a big roar of approval from the crowd for that. It was very cute.

I was pretty sure Glenn had recognized me earlier, but during Take It To the Limit, I got a look and a little smile from him – and yep – I was very excited. :nod:

During Somebody, Don was really rocking. He was more animated than I have ever seen him on stage. If he has been doing this in other shows, I had never noticed before. I loved how totally into it he was. I think he must really like the song! :D

In the band intros, Glenn raved about how talented Steuart is and the big contribution he had made to the album. Steuart got a huge ovation because this is technically his hometown. At some point during the show, I noticed that Chris Mostert’s hair is currently VERY ORANGE. :shock: Glenn introduced Tim as the pride of Sacramento, California, Don as his lifelong friend and ‘one of the best singers and songwriters he has ever known, bar none.’ Tim’s intro of Glenn was pretty much the same – but sadly, there was no singing of My Girl, even at my vocal urging. Then Glenn introduced Joe as the “birthday boy”.

As they started into Life’s Been Good, I moved to the center aisle. I had made a big neon green birthday sign for Joe, and at the urging of many of the folks around me, I went out there to be sure that the sign made it on the big screens. Mission accomplished!! Joe smiled at me and seemed appreciative. Glenn looked at me, shook his head, and grinned. However, when Glenn went over to play side by side with Steuart, I flipped the sign over because I had written a belated 60th birthday wish for Glenn on the other side. However, I couldn’t get Glenn to look, so he didn’t see it.

The guys all did the jump during Dirty Laundry. That was the first time I’ve heard about them doing that in a while.

During the little guitar competition between Joe and Glenn before Funk #49, Glenn was especially cute. When he gave up, he jumped up and down shaking his fist like a child having a temper tantrum – loved it!

After that, I went back to my seat. I held Glenn’s birthday wish up again between Heartache Tonight and Life in the Fast Lane, but, again, I don’t think he saw it.

Unsurprisingly, we didn’t get but one encore. As soon as they came back out on stage, Glenn told a story about how in 1971, he and Don joined Linda Ronstadt’s touring band. After practicing for a few weeks, their first dates were at a club right here in Washington, D.C. One night in that bar after a couple of Tequilas, the two of them decided to form a band. Then, he just shrugged his shoulders, and broke into Take It Easy. Of course, that brought another huge roar from the crowd.

As usual, I got choked up during Desperado because I knew the end was near.

After their bows, as the guys were doing their waves goodbye, a lady near me held up a stuffed donkey dressed in patriotic gear to give to Joe. He asked the security guard to hand it to him and thanked the lady. He headed over to the other side of the stage and Tim put his arm around Joe while admiring his gift. Awwww!! They came back over to my side of the stage to exit. Glenn stopped in front of me and gave me a wave goodbye and a little wink. Of course, I thought I was gonna die again.

:iloveyou: EAGLES!!!!!

glenneaglesfan
11-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Dreamer!!!

What a fantastic night you had, and how wonderful that Glenn recognised one of his 'Angels' and gave you some smiles. What a lovely man - have I ever mentioned that before?:wink::grin: It's been a tonic for me to read your review, and it sounds as if the guys were really on song. I love the story of your birthday sign for Joe, and Joe's donkey gift (is that the Democrats' symbol?). I bet it's going to take you a few weeks to float back down to earth!

DonFan
11-22-2008, 09:20 AM
Dreamer, I am so glad you got to go to the concert and that you got such good seats, and a grin of recognition from Glenn!

During Somebody, Don was really rocking. He was more animated than I have ever seen him on stage. If he has been doing this in other shows, I had never noticed before. I loved how totally into it he was. I think he must really like the song! :D

That is one reason why I LOVE this song. I liked it the first time I heard it because of the fast, rocking beat and the Halloween reference, but when I saw them perform it live and saw how Don just rocks out on the guitar during that song, I just loved it!

Prettymaid
11-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Well as many of you all know, I haven’t had a lot of time to spend here on the board lately so I didn’t post that I was going to the D.C. show at the Verizon Center on Thursday night. I decided to wait until I got to the venue to purchase my ticket. As we have said before, it is risky to do this. If I were only going to one or two shows and wanted to ensure that I got a very good seat, I wouldn’t go this route. However, since I am fortunate enough to get to go to several shows a year, I feel like even if I don’t get the best seat every time, it’ll work out in the long run. Last night, I struck gold. I scored a 5th row seat on the outside aisle on Joe’s side. I honestly wasn’t impressed when I purchased it, but once I got in arena, I had an awesome view and was very satisfied with it. However, I spotted two empty seats on the 2nd row directly in front of Joe. I kept my eye on them, and when no one sat in them during the first half, I decided to “upgrade” my seat at the intermission. To say the least, I was absolutely thrilled to be sitting 2nd row right center, especially considering I paid face value.

Doesn't it make you wonder why they didn't sell you the 2nd row seats if you asked for best available? It's hard to imagine that somebody actually had those tickets and didn't show up! I'm just constantly amazed a how all of this ticket busuness works!

sodascouts
11-22-2008, 01:44 PM
Terrific review Dreamer! I'm so glad you got such great seats and recognition from Glenn, too! Very cool! It's also great that Joe saw your sign. Too bad Glenn didn't see his!

GlennLover
11-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow, Dreamer! You're so lucky to have met Glenn & be acknowledged by him!!! I know that I would die if he did that to me :smitten: ! So glad that you were able to get such a good seat & that Joe saw his sign!

:jealous: ;)

TimothyBFan
11-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Very Very Cool Dreamer!!!! Thanks for the review and glad you had such a wonderful night!

11-22-2008, 04:22 PM
Thanks guys - it was, indeed, a near perfect night. It's something that I really needed, as life has been going a little rough for me lately.

And PM, I agree about your comment regarding the tickets. It is very perplexing. I checked repeatedly at the box office for over an hour, and the best available that came up was Row 15 in the center section. I had to ask the clerk to do some additional searching to bring up the Row 5 seats. I guess it's all subjective, but apparently the Ticketmaster computer considers Row 15 center better than Row 5 far right. But for someone as short as I am - I say 'NO WAY'! As far as the 2nd row seats that I grabbed - they could have been no shows, but who knows. It's also possible that they were held for ILAA, and not needed. But, as you said, if that were the case, why didn't they release them for sale at the box office? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ETA: I've spent my afternoon catching up on the other concert threads, and something that Soda wrote in the Cincinnati thread reminded me of something really cute that I forgot to mention. In D.C., during the 1st set, someone yelled something out to Don - I think they said "I love you, Don". He grinned, and jokingly chided something back like "But, you hardly know me!" I'm not sure I've got this exactly right, but it was something similar, and very, very cute. If I got anything wrong, maybe Stars will have a better recollection when she does her review.

DonFan
11-22-2008, 05:39 PM
ETA: I've spent my afternoon catching up on the other concert threads, and something that Soda wrote in the Cincinnati thread reminded me of something really cute that I forgot to mention. In D.C., during the 1st set, someone yelled something out to Don - I think they said "I love you, Don". He grinned, and jokingly chided something back like "But, you hardly know me!" I'm not sure I've got this exactly right, but it was something similar, and very, very cute. If I got anything wrong, maybe Stars will have a better recollection when she does her review.

I have a bootleg of one of Don's solo concerts where he says exactly the same thing to a fan. It must be one of his standard responses. ;)

eaglesvet
11-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Lucky you, Dreamer! Have you met Glenn before, like Soda has, that he would recognize you? Or did you just mean he recognized you later in the night from noticing you and the sign earlier on?

eaglesvet
11-22-2008, 06:34 PM
BTW, Dreamer, I just saw in another thread that tomorrow is your birthday--have a good one!:headbang::cheers::yay:

TimothyBFan
11-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Dreamer-one thing I meant to ask you. How did Timothy seem in Washington, if you even noticed? He seemed a little off his game in Cincinnati and just wondered if he rebounded or not. I'm just a little worried about my man.:???:

11-22-2008, 07:30 PM
eaglesvet - Yes, I am lucky enough to have met Glenn on several occasions before. I was with Soda (and Perfect Little Sister and Molly) at the pro-am golf tournaments at Pebble Beach, as well as, interacting with him at a couple of solo concerts. We have very detailed accounts about each of these meetings on this board. Here are the links to the threads if you have the time, energy, or interest to read about them.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797

And TBF - Timothy seemed to be in fine form to me Thursday night. As I described in my review, he went into a rather long (but very cute) story about Paul Carrack. He also said something to Glenn that I couldn't hear at one point and Glenn responded "Exactly Timothy". I'll have to go back and try to remember where that happened.

TimothyBFan
11-22-2008, 07:41 PM
Thanks Dreamer-glad to hear it. We must of just hit it on an off night then. He just wasn't that interactive Tuesday. He did do the same thing about Paul Carrack tho that night. :D

Stars
11-22-2008, 08:00 PM
Here comes my review of the DC concert. First off, I just want to say what a good review you did, Dreamer, and to please forgive me if I repeat a few things! I did take notes during the break, and then tried to remember what happened during the second half. I was in such a daze, I am lucky I remembered my name!
When "How Long" began, and the lights came up on the guys, I could hardly believe I was there! Looking down on the stage, I felt like I was in a dream. My husband and I were sitting way high up in the 4th level, but we were on the front row, so had a completely unobstructed view of the stage! I did use my binoculars most of the time, but sometimes I watched the screen.
First I want to reassure TimothyBfan that Timothy seemed fine at this concert. I know you were worried about him, but he was quite animated when it came time for him to sing"Love Will Keep Us Alive". He told us that Paul Carrack was in several bands, including Ace, Squeeze, and Mike and the Mechanics. (On a side note, I went to see Mike and the Mechanics in 1989, and Paul Carrack graciously signed an autograph for me!) Timothy then sang a bit of a Paul Carrack song, "Tempted by the fruit of another", to familiarize us with him. He mentioned that none of those bands were here tonight, but "we are!" This got a great cheer from the crowd. Then he sang a great version of "Love Will Keep Us Alive".
"Lyin' Eyes" is a very special song to me. When the song first came out, my mom fell in love with it. When we would be driving around listening to the radio, whenever the song came on, she would turn it up.
When Glenn introduced the song, he talked about sharing a house with Don on Muholland drive, and going down to a restaurant on Santa Monica Blvd, where they would watch people. Thus the idea for the song was born. When "Lyin Eyes" ended, I turned to my husband and whispered, "That song was for Mom". She has been gone twelve years now, and every time I hear LE I think of her.
Dreamer was commenting on someone yelling "I love you, Don"! I think this was after "The Long Run". Dreamer, you were spot on in remembering, as I also heard him reply, "Why, you hardly know me!"
When it came to the new songs, "Waiting in the Weeds" and "No More Cloudy Days" were highlights for me. Glenn mentioned that NMCD was track number 8 on the CD, and that they were going from a horticultural song to a meterological song. Both songs were just beautiful!
A highlight for me was "Take it to the Limit". I have never had a problem with Glenn singing this song. Although Randy did a lovely version, Glenn puts his own spin on it, and I have to say I prefer Glenn's version. (then again, I may be biased!) However, the crowd seemed to love it too, and showed their appreciation.
During "Funk 49", I saw Glenn walk over to the edge of the stage, and motion for someone to sit down. Then I saw him mouth "Sit down!" I remember reading that this happened at another show. I wonder if it was during the same song? I imagine a lot of people get up and dance during "Funk 49".
Right before "Take it Easy", Glenn thanked everyone for coming. He reminisced about how he and Don had been part of Linda Rondstadt's band in 1971, and they came to Washington, DC and played at the "Cellar Door". He said they stayed in Georgetown, at a hotel around the corner from the "Cellar Door". People seemed to be familiar with the place, as they cheered. I do remember reading about the Cellar Door having a lot of folk acts back in the 60's.
One other thing I remember, and Dreamer you can let me know if you noticed this too. During "Peaceful, Easy Feeling", Glenn either sang or said something about California. I can't remember if it was during an instrumental break, or while he was singing. Then again, I may have imagined the whole thing. I love that song so much that I may have gone into a complete daze!
It was just a wonderful evening and a fantastic experience, seeing the Eagles live in concert for the first time. The guys exceeded my wildest expectations. It was well worth the 35 year wait!!

sodascouts
11-22-2008, 08:21 PM
Great review, Stars! What an incredible moment for you!

How sweet about Lyin' Eyes and your mom. What a special memory.

Regarding Glenn telling someone to sit down during Funk 49 - are you sure about that? I think he might have actually been doing his "count off." Towards the end of Funk 49, he always picks someone random in the audience, catches their eye, then "counts off" the number of beats before the final note.

I sure hope that's the case, because if Glenn truly is telling people to sit during Funk 49, he's gone off the deep end!

Troubadour
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
Thanks for the great reviews guys!

Dreamer, thank you so much for posting the links to the "meeting Glenn" stories. I've been working my way through them this evening, and oh my goodness, what incredible moments you ladies had! I know it was a little while ago (although I'm sure they're still as fresh in your mind) but I wasn't on the board then, so it was fantastic to read more about your past experiences. Some bits had me laughing out loud. The part where you, Soda, described leaping to catch a golf ball and then feeling mortified that people thought you'd stolen it from someone else cracked me up! You've certainly got a knack for storytelling ;) My respect for Glenn as a person has also gone through the roof. It's heartwarming to hear how kind, funny and generous he was. The accounts made my night, so thank you again!

Stars
11-23-2008, 12:24 PM
Soda,
I think you are absolutely right! It really wouldn't make sense at all for Glenn to tell people to sit down during "Funk 49"! I probably imagined him saying "Sit Down". After all, I was way up high, and those binoculars aren't that good-lol.
I'll bet he was counting off. I noticed when he finished, he backed away a bit, and kinda smiled to himself! So we can rest assured that he hasn't gone off the deep end-lol!
Thanks for your kind words about my review, and about my mom. I was remembering last night that her two favorite songs were "Lyin' Eyes" and Bruce Springsteen's song, "Thunder Road". She even enjoyed quoting the beginning of "Thunder Road". She sure loved music-I think I must have inherited that gene from her!

11-23-2008, 03:43 PM
First of all, that was a great review Stars, especially for an Eagles virgin. :wink: :wink: I especially appreciate that you remembered the names of the Paul Carrack song that Timothy sung and the name of the Cellar Door bar. I really suck at recalling these kinds of details and was kicking myself for not writing them down. And OBTW, Lyin’ Eyes is one of my mom’s favorite songs as well, but Peaceful Easy Feeling is her very favorite. Speaking of PEF, during the instrumental break, Glenn said something like “Here’s some Southern California country rock for you”.

I’m almost positive what you saw during Funk #49 was Glenn doing his countdown thing that Soda described. I was standing just a few feet away from where he leaned over, and definitely didn’t hear him tell anyone to sit down.

And Troub – I am glad you are enjoying reading about all of our excellent adventures. And you are right, all of it is still very fresh in my mind, and I wouldn’t trade these memories for anything. Glenn has been extraordinarily kind to us, and I cherish these experiences and am forever grateful to him!!! :nod: :nod: :nod:

glenneaglesfan
11-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Can I just add that I have relished these reviews and they are helping me through a difficult stage of my life! Keep up the Eagles love everyone!

sodascouts
11-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Some bits had me laughing out loud. The part where you, Soda, described leaping to catch a golf ball and then feeling mortified that people thought you'd stolen it from someone else cracked me up! You've certainly got a knack for storytelling ;) My respect for Glenn as a person has also gone through the roof. It's heartwarming to hear how kind, funny and generous he was.

He certainly is an amazing person. I'll always be grateful to him for his exceptional kindnesses to us. It meant more than he will ever know. No matter what, he will always be my hero!

Thanks for the compliments about my storytelling. Regarding the "ball incident" - Lissa still gives me a hard time about that. ;)

Glennsallnighter
11-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Lovely Reviews both Dreamer and Stars. It is indeed true what a wonderful experience an Eagles gig is. Dreamer, what great seats you managed to pull, and how lovely to get that bit of attention from Glenn :heart:. Like an early birthday present.
Stars, I haven't had a chance to welcome you, so I guess here is as good as anywhere else! What a moving story about LE and your mom! And I'm glad you too had such a great night!

Eagles and Glenn :iloveyou:

PS girls.........hope the PGW isn't too bad!

TimothyBFan
11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
GA--:grouphug:

Thanks for the reviews! Even tho we all keep going and reviewing basically the same thing- I cannot get enough and anxiously await every review. They are always different because we all see and react to the concerts differently and have our own favorites and things we watch for. LOVE IT!!!!!

Peekaboo
11-24-2008, 08:47 AM
Love the reviews ladies!! Dreamer, i was glad to see that you were able to go to the show and score such great seats!! Good for you!!

I just had a thought....I wonder what the guys would think if all of us here on the Border were to be at the same concert (in the front row of course) at the same time. How crazy would that be? Although i already know that good times would be had by all.

TimothyBFan
11-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Jess--Great idea for a Border field trip!!!! How fun would that be? We'd scare them off of the stage!!!:blush:

Prettymaid
11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Love the reviews ladies!! Dreamer, i was glad to see that you were able to go to the show and score such great seats!! Good for you!!

I just had a thought....I wonder what the guys would think if all of us here on the Border were to be at the same concert (in the front row of course) at the same time. How crazy would that be? Although i already know that good times would be had by all.

Oh my gosh, can you even imagine?...

sodascouts
11-24-2008, 02:01 PM
I think it would be the most animated and adulatory audience they'd ever experienced! lol

ticky
11-24-2008, 02:18 PM
But fun!! we'd be a lot of fun!!

tbs fanatic
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
LOL - that would be hysterical. :partytime:

Freypower
11-24-2008, 07:29 PM
Stars - great review and welcome to The Border.

Dreamer.... SIGH. He's looking after his Angels. What can I say? :angel:

Stars
11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
Glennsallnighter,
Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, my mom loved LE-she was mainly a classical music fan, but for some reason LE really spoke to her. She also loved Bruce Springsteen's song, "Thunder Road"!
Shortly after my mom passed away (in 1996), LE came on the radio as I was driving around-I remember crying my eyes out. That song means so much to me, and will always bring back wonderful memories of my mom.:angel:

DonFan
11-25-2008, 05:52 PM
Look--band intros from the Verizon Center!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxRSme-JxcI&feature=related

The same person also posted a couple of other Verizon Center clips. All are great!

Freypower
11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Oh man. So that's what it's like.

TimothyBFan
11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Thanks DF for posting that!!! And Tim does not look "cadaverous"! --Can you tell I'm still distraught and bitter about that review!!!!!:evil:

glenneaglesfan
11-28-2008, 01:03 PM
Those clips are wonderful. Thanks for the link, DF!

Peekaboo
12-12-2008, 04:51 AM
eaglesvet - Yes, I am lucky enough to have met Glenn on several occasions before. I was with Soda (and Perfect Little Sister and Molly) at the pro-am golf tournaments at Pebble Beach, as well as, interacting with him at a couple of solo concerts. We have very detailed accounts about each of these meetings on this board. Here are the links to the threads if you have the time, energy, or interest to read about them.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=104
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=372
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797

And TBF - Timothy seemed to be in fine form to me Thursday night. As I described in my review, he went into a rather long (but very cute) story about Paul Carrack. He also said something to Glenn that I couldn't hear at one point and Glenn responded "Exactly Timothy". I'll have to go back and try to remember where that happened.

Thanks so much for posting those links Dreamer. It has taken me a while but i finally got through all of them. All of the adventures you lucky Angels have had sounds so wonderful. I too am :jealous: but am so incredibly happy for you all. Glenn seems like such a wonderful guy to meet. Maybe one of these days some of the rest of us will have the same honor as "Glennie's Angels"

12-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for posting that, PB. I am glad that you enjoyed reading about all of our experiences. We certainly did enjoy them, too. :wink: If anyone had told me 2 years ago when I first went to Pebble Beach that Glenn would be so incredibly kind and approachable, I would have thought they were crazy. I have often said how I wish that everyone here could have the same opportunities that we've had to meet their favorite Eagle. These adventures have truly been an unbelievable thrill for me.