11-24-2008, 10:14 AM
http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/230600

Eagles play their hits in Hershey

Intelligencer Journal
Published: Nov 24, 2008
00:23 EST
Hershey

By JON FERGUSON, Staff Writer
The Eagles can ride this cash cow until hell truly does freeze over.
The Eagles, one of the most popular rock bands of all time, landed Sunday night at the Giant Center and delivered a long, satisfying concert packed with crisply delivered versions of its biggest hits.
The band (Don Henley, Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmitt) never strayed far from the recorded versions of its songs.
In fact, most of the 28 songs they played during the three-hour show split into two sets were as faithful to the recorded versions as humanly possible. But the Eagles have never been an improvisational band. Its success is built upon heartfelt songs of love and betrayal, tasteful instrumentation with a few country flourishes and close harmony singing.
And that's what the Eagles gave their fans — a tightly scripted show that likely varies little from night to night, right down to Frey's tired jokes (a crack about this being the assisted-living tour and a swipe at their wives' attachment to credit cards before playing "Take It to the Limit") and Walsh's goofiness during "Life's Been Good."
That said, the Eagles played and sang extremely well, satisfying a largely middle-aged (and older) crowd that didn't want the band messing with the songs it wanted to turn into sing-a-longs. After all, the crowd paid good money (tickets ranged from $60 to $185) to hear the soundtrack of their lives played live.
Though bass player Schmitt, with his high cheekbones, is looking a touch cadaverous, the four Eagles — all of whom wore dark suits, white long-sleeved shirts and black ties — look fit. They certainly have more hair and better bodies than Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young.
They play well and their singing can still, at times, take the breath away. Schmitt did struggle to hit the high notes on "I Can't Tell You Why" and Frey's voice has coarsened, but Walsh and Henley still sound remarkably like their youthful selves.
The Eagles did have plenty of help with the instrumentation, as they were augmented by a guitarist, three keyboardists, a drummer and four horn players, with some of them also adding pedal-steel guitar and violin.Surprisingly, the Eagles largely kept the wraps on Walsh, a brilliant guitarist who is the band's best instrumentalist, during the first set. They made up for it in the second, however, when Walsh cut loose, especially on "Life's Been Good" and the hard-rocking "Walk Away" and "Funk 49," two songs he recorded with the James Gang.
The band did play most of its best-known tunes ("Hotel California," "Peaceful Easy Feeling," "Lyin' Eyes," "The Long Run," "Life in the Fast Lane," "Take It Easy" and "Desperado") but also devoted huge chunks of the show to songs from "Long Road Out of Eden," the 2007 album that has sold monstrously well.
The new songs generally held up fairly well against the older material and were politely received by the rather staid crowd, but they didn't spark much enthusiasm. The exception was the title track, a topical tune. The song is classic Henley — a dramatic presentation given weight by taut musical dynamics and intelligent, thoughtful lyrics.
Henley, certainly the best songwriter of the bunch, demonstrated why during the show. His tunes, including "Witchy Woman," "Dirty Laundry" and "Boys of Summer," perhaps his best song, were the highlights of the show.
Though the Eagles do seem to be as much about commerce as art these days (there's a certain irony when Frey sings "You can spend all your time making money" during "Take It to the Limit"), the band does not disappoint. They are consummate professionals.
E-mail: jferguson@lnpnews.com (jferguson@lnpnews.com)

Ok -we get it Glenn's jokes are getting stale, now if only Glenn would get some new material. Reviewer did say they sounded good. But this remark really makes me boil: " Though bass player Schmitt, with his high cheekbones, is looking a touch cadaverous" :shock: At least spell his d*mn name right!!!! GGRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

TimothyBFan
11-24-2008, 10:30 AM
Here's another review--kinder than the one above!!!

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2008/11/eagles_take_long_road_to_hersh.html

DonFan
11-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Thanks for posting those reviews. I agree--the "cadaverous" quip in the first one was unbelievably harsh, espeically from a reviewer who can't even bother to spell Timothy's name correctly!

I did, however, appreciate with this line:
"The song (BOS) is classic Henley — a dramatic presentation given weight by taut musical dynamics and intelligent, thoughtful lyrics."

And I completely agree with this quote from the second review:

"If this is how late middle age sounds, bring it on; the Eagles have nothing to worry about. They're handling it beautifully." AMEN.

tbs fanatic
11-24-2008, 12:49 PM
DOUBLE GRRRRRRR - How dare he say that about Timmy :evil:

eaglesvet
11-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks, TBF, for posting those reviews. As we were leaving the concert last night, they were handing out free copies of Sunday's Patriot News, which had a feature story on the Eagles (that I haven't read yet, but is obviously not a review.) And, yes, I did say we were leaving the concert even though I arrived solo...because coincidetally, new Border member Stars was seated 5 seats away from me in Row 7! What are the odds of that in an almost sold-out arena? And if she didn't join a couple of days ago, we would not have known to speak to each other from our individual seats. It made the concert more fun to meet a fellow Eagle-lover and talk for a short time at the show; and for quite awhile afterward when her hubby picked us up and we all went for coffee. As it turned out, I didn't need the coffee to make the 2 1/4 hr ride home at 1 am--I was so pumped up from the show I could have flown home on a magic carpet! However, I was not so pumped up at 6:30 when I had to get the kiddos ready for school. Oh well, them's the breaks!

I tried to remember my observations and thoughts on the show, in order to write as much as possible that might be different from the previous shows (or at least, previous memories or posts.) And what I forget, Stars might remember...her perspective on the show should be fairly similar, maybe only a little closer to center!

With that, I need to go to work for a staff picture for our Holiday Card (?)--we've never done this in the 20 yrs I've worked there, and then to my own medical appt. I'll get to the gist of the review later. Stars, I promise not to read yours if you post in the meantime...:headbang:

Ive always been a dreamer
11-24-2008, 01:25 PM
Wow EV and Stars - How wonderful that the two of you were able to meet. That is part of what makes a message board like this so special. It is awesome that we are able to come together here and not only discuss our favorite band, but to form friendships as well. I said many times, a few years back after I went to my 2nd Eagles concert, I came home and did an Internet search and found an Eagles message board. I had never even seen a message board before, so I also lurked a while before I joined. The only thing I wanted to do was to get current news and information about the band. I had no idea I would make friends, but I have formed some friendships that are very special to me. I know that many others here have had similar experiences.

And BTW, I can't wait to hear more about the show.

Prettymaid
11-24-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm all for this idea. I've never been really big on chocolate but people can change.

Not big on chocolate? What kind of woman are ya PB? ;)

TimothyBFan
11-24-2008, 01:44 PM
I had never even seen a message board before, so I also lurked a while before I joined. The only thing I wanted to do was to get current news and information about the band. I had no idea I would make friends, but I have formed some friendships that are very special to me. I know that many others here have had similar experiences.

You just summed up EXACTLY what I did and felt!!!

Can't wait to hear the reviews EV & Stars. How cool that you guys were actually setting that close! Small world!

PB---I will admit it also-I don't care much at all for chocolate, but as you said, with the right stuff dipped in it, I'm sure I could aquire a taste for it.:-D

TimothyBFan
11-24-2008, 02:45 PM
Apparently this guy doesn't get it

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/230605

Eagles' new stuff doesn't soar
Still, the band rediscovers its groove at Hershey with “Boys of Summer” and “In the City.”

Lancaster New Era
Published: Nov 24, 2008
11:00 EST
Hershey

By JOHN DUFFY, Correspondent
CONCERT REVIEW

http://images.lancasteronline.com/local/230605eagles_hershey_09_180.jpg (http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/5/230605/eagles_hershey_09)

The Eagles perform at Hershey's Giant Center Sunday night. From left are Timothy B. Schmit, Don Henle...(more) (http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/5/230605/eagles_hershey_09)

1 of 1

It's a joke that's been around at least as long as classic rock groups from the '60s and '70s have been reuniting. When the singer says "here's a song from our new album," he or she might as well say "everybody go and get a beer now…."

So for a band like the Eagles to start each of their two sets with no less than four new songs from last year's "Long Road Out of Eden" would seem like a colossally bad move.

Knowing everything we do about Glenn Frey and Don Henley, it also might seem a brilliant tactical maneuver.

Interspersed between better-loved hits, the new tunes would surely suffer by comparison. And an audience not itching for the next old classic might be more likely to listen more intently to the new stuff that plays along with it.
About that new stuff: It's not nearly as good as "The Long Run," the group's last studio album from 1979, but that's so long ago it's like comparing Ataris to iPods.

When the band took the stage just before 8:30 Sunday night at the Giant Center, all of them wearing nicely cut black suits like a corporate board, it seemed the audience was unprepared for a rock and roll show. Nobody stood up for the first 20 minutes.

Workmanlike songs such as "How Long," and "Busy Being Fabulous" sound more like Rascal Flatts than the Eagles, but are certainly better than the stuff tacked onto "Hell Freezes Over," their 1994 reunion disc.

But it was, oddly enough, the classic material that sounded weak at first. "Hotel California," which used to open the group's shows on a dramatic note, sounded thin and forced.

Though a flamenco trumpet intro from one of the group's four back-up horn players established a sense of drama, it was robbed of its tension by the group's decision to lower the song's key over the years for singer Don Henley.

Glenn Frey's "Peaceful Easy Feeling" perhaps should have been lowered. As with almost all the songs Sunday night, the harmony vocals from everyone soared, but Frey seemed to struggle with what is a fairly relaxed melody.

Bassist Timothy B. Schmit, still the best singer in the group, turned in a seductive "I Can't Tell You Why," with extra sexiness layered on by support guitarist Stuart Smith's buttery R&B stylings.

But it was not until the spooky middle-eight of Henley's solo hit "Boys of Summer" that the band found its groove and was able to keep it, playing in front of black and white dreamlike images similar to the original groundbreaking music video.

Following quickly on its heels was Joe Walsh's "In The City," which let the singer/guitarist come alive for essentially the first time of the night. With added horns, searing slide and an extended ending, the song pushed the set to new heights. Consequently, "The Long Run" was raised as well.

Following a brief intermission, the group took to the stools for an acoustic set of new (and newer) songs: "No More Walks in the Woods," a predictably heavy-handed environmental statement from the pen of Henley that proved the four men could still harmonize flawlessly together; "Waiting in the Weeds," a notably better tune from Henley, comparing a dying romance to a dying town; Frey's forgettable "No More Cloudy Days," and Schmit's schmaltzy "Love Will Keep us Alive."

Then Frey nearly destroyed "Take it to the Limit." Originally sung by the soulful Randy Meisner, who exited the group in 1976, it was the only song of the night not originally sung by one of the four men on stage.

Henley's overwrought "Long Road Out of Eden," taking on the war in Iraq, economic uncertainty at home, and corporate greed — remember this is the band that made a deal to sell its disc exclusively at Wal-Mart to secure a better royalty deal — nearly stopped the show dead in its tracks.

Not satisfied, Frey's "Somebody" tried to do the same, but was rescued by some tasteful slide, again from Walsh, who brought things back down to earth with James Gang oldies "Walk Away" and "Funk No. 49," as well as his ode to the rock and roll lifestyle, "Life's Been Good."

As things began to work toward a close, the band pulled out all the stops for Henley's funky "Dirty Laundry," "Life in the Fast Lane," and "Heartache Tonight," all enhanced by horns and the dueling lead guitars of Walsh and Stuart.

Nine new songs, despite the fact that they were all spot-on vocally, is still a heavyweight. Coupled with Walsh's three solo selections and the same from Henley meant there was no room for non-hit fan favorites like "Ol '55," "Victim of Love," "Pretty Maids all in a Row," "Wasted Time," or even "Best of My Love."

Encores "Take it Easy" and "Desperado" reached back to the group's country-rock beginnings. Couldn't have made room for Schmit to do one of his old Poco tunes? Then of course we might have had to sit through "The Heat is On" from Frey.

If this is to be the last Eagles tour, as Frey has sometimes intimated from stage in between his disc jockey-like banter, the effort to prove their current music can stand next to their classic hits is a bold move. It didn't quite work Sunday night.

sodascouts
11-24-2008, 02:46 PM
And, yes, I did say we were leaving the concert even though I arrived solo...because coincidetally, new Border member Stars was seated 5 seats away from me in Row 7! What are the odds of that in an almost sold-out arena? And if she didn't join a couple of days ago, we would not have known to speak to each other from our individual seats. It made the concert more fun to meet a fellow Eagle-lover and talk for a short time at the show; and for quite awhile afterward when her hubby picked us up and we all went for coffee.

That's wonderful that you and Stars were so close together! It was obviously meant to be that you get together.

I built this message board for precisely this reason - to connect with other fans who "share the love" and are happy to talk about America's greatest band with me! ;) I started The Border two years ago with about 15 other people who were looking for a friendly place to talk about the Eagles. Seems like just yesterday, but we've grown so much and I've made so many friends through here! I'll never regret it!

EagleLady
11-24-2008, 02:48 PM
Ouch. Well what the heck does he know? He probably listens to Chris Brown :lol:

sodascouts
11-24-2008, 02:57 PM
Wow, what a hater! Does he like anything about Glenn at ALL? And I noticed the Don tunes he compliments are the solo ones (he even slammed Hotel California). He compliments Poco over Tim's Eagles stuff with the exception of I Can't Tell You Why... Joe gets accolades only for how he is different from the rest of the Eagles.

Yeah. A hater.

DonFan
11-24-2008, 03:06 PM
That's wonderful that you and Stars were so close together! It was obviously meant to be that you get together.

I built this message board for precisely this reason - to connect with other fans who "share the love" and are happy to talk about America's greatest band with me! ;) I started The Border two years ago with about 15 other people who were looking for a friendly place to talk about the Eagles. Seems like just yesterday, but we've grown so much and I've made so many friends through here! I'll never regret it!

I'm also glad the two of you were able to find each other!
Like many of the posters here, I too am grateful for the friendships I have made since I discovered this board. Thanks for bringing us all together, Soda, and thanks for all your creativity, hard work and dedication here!

DonFan
11-24-2008, 03:16 PM
As for that review---:enraged: --that is the worst one yet.

Hotel California--thin and forced? :nope: And Don does NOT sing it in a lower key!
"Somebody" almost stopped the show dead in its tracks? :stunned: Is he kidding?

I'm glad he liked Timmy's "seductive" ICTYW!

Prettymaid
11-24-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm also glad the two of you were able to find each other!
Like many of the posters here, I too am grateful for the friendships I have made since I discovered this board. Thanks for bringing us all together, Soda, and thanks for all your creativity, hard work and dedication here!

Awwwww - Group hug! :grouphug:

Freypower
11-24-2008, 07:22 PM
Yes. I think my comments on the review aren't needed, are they? But Tim fans - you would be happy that Tim was described as the 'best singer'. That's rare.

I agree with all the comments on the wonderful community we have here.

:soda:(for our wonderful administrator)

:cheers: (all the good times we've shared)

:grouphug:

Stars
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Here comes my Hershey review!! First of all, I have to say how exciting it was to meet board member, Eaglesvet, last night! I still can hardly believe we were seated so close together. Like you said, soda, it was meant to be. In such a large, sold out arena, what were the odds that we would be so close??
I want to say a huge thanks to you, soda, for starting this board for folks like us who love the Eagles. I only joined a few days ago, but already I feel so welcome here, and now I have already met Ev! I look forward to meeting many more of you as time goes on...
OK, onto Hershey. First of all, it was an entirely different experience for me than the Washington, DC concert. In Washington, I was way high up on the 4th level, and I really believe that because of that, I could concentrate more on what was going on. Being on the seventh row, on the floor, I was in such awe of the guys, that I felt like I was dreaming most of the time! I will fill you in on what I do remember, and then EV can fill in the gaps for me!
When the show began, and "How Long" started, I think I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. There were our guys, standing right in front of me! I could hardly believe I was so close. I was seated over to the left, so Don and Tim were right in front of me. I was definitely awestruck. By the time "Fabulous" started, I was really starting to get into the music, bouncing up and down and just singing away. At one point, Glenn looked over in my direction and raised his eyebrows! Now I'm not sure he even saw me, as he could have been looking at someone in a closer row, but seeing him raise his eyebrows like that, really cracked me up!
Before they began "Lyin Eyes", Glenn mentioned that his relatives, the Freys and the Quinners were there, and asked where they were seated. I can't remember where they were now, but Glenn seemed pleased that they were there. He mentioned that they were from Nazareth, Pa, and then quipped that you could "get a good cup of coffee there"!
"Lyin' Eyes", of course, meant a lot to me, and it was a stirring rendition.
During the band introductions, Glenn introduced one of the members as being from New Orleans, and said he could get some gumbo there! He said that almost as an aside, and then chuckled to himself.
Once again, as in Washington, before Tim sang "Love Will Keep Us Alive", he got us all familiar with Paul Carrack by singing" Tempted By the Fruit of another". When he stopped singing it, the two people sitting by me and myself continued on with the song!
During "Life in the Fastlane", Glenn was having trouble with his guitar, so a tech came on and gave him a new one. Obviously, that one didn't work well either, so the tech returned and gave him a new plug (or maybe a cord) for the guitar. This didn't seem to phase Glenn at all, he just carried on playing, and even danced a little bit later on!
Speaking of dancing, someone gave Glenn roses at the end of the show, and he danced a bit with them. As he, Joe, and Tim were leaving the stage, they all got down and posed for a picture, making silly faces. Had my camera been working, I could have gotten that shot. Unfortunately, about half way through the show, my camera decided to stop working!
At the beginning of the concert, Glenn made an announcement that it was fine to take "still pictures", but "if you see someone taking video, slap their little hand"! Then he proceeded to slap his own hand!
Overall, the guys seemed a lot looser and more relaxed at this concert than at the Washington one. I noted Don and Glenn conferring a few times during various songs.
I observed that Glenn quickly wiped his nose with the back of his hand a few times during the concert, and at one point went to the back and blew his nose with a tissue. He certainly did not sound like he had a cold, and I hope he isn't getting one. He didn't act like he was sick at all-he was his usual upbeat self!
I apologize for going all over the place in this review-it certainly isn't very cohesive! But I think, being so close to our guys really affected me! It was such a fantastic experience, and I wish that everyone here will someday be able to experience the Eagles up close like that! If anyone has any questions, please ask away!

Freypower
11-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Stars, I am so glad that you got a whiff of what I call the 'world's sexiest eyebrows'.:eyebrow::)

Prettymaid
11-24-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you did a great review Stars! I love the beginning about the guys being right in front of you. Although I was back in row 20 in Chicago, as soon as they came out and started playing I turned to my husband and said, "I'M IN THE SAME ROOM AS THE EAGLES!!!!!"

eaglesvet
11-25-2008, 04:22 AM
:enraged:I can't believe what just happened! Earlier tonight, sometime after the multiplication/division flashcards but during piano practice, I crashed on the couch...only to awaken in the middle of the night ready to write about the Eagles. I had written at least half of it when Dell's Automatic Updates at 3am shut my computer down; and when it restarted everything I wrote was gone! :mad::brickwall:You would think it would preserve what you were working on, but guess what--it doesn't. I will rewrite at least some of it now, but the rest will have to wait till tomorrow. You can thank Dell for that.

eaglesvet
11-25-2008, 05:27 AM
OK, it is 3:22 am, and I have confirmed that everything I had written has indeed disappeared...ugh. Here's the rewrite. I still haven't yet read Stars' review, nor that apparently negative last one from the critic.

First of all, I want to preface this by saying last spring when I saw the Eagles, we were way up in the 2nd tier almost 180 degrees around the arena--so just about as far away from the stage as you can get. I also hadn't bought the LROOE CD yet (I know, crazy, huh?), and had only heard occasional songs here and there, so I didn't know the new songs like I do now. And I still thought that concert was one of the best ever.

So move me down and forward a whole bunch of rows, and I can only say...Sunday's concert was so HOT it was SIZZLING! The photos posted from prior shows do not even approach how HSG these 4 fine men are--they look years younger in person! And as for the press who say their performance is lackluster (or something to that effect), I'm thinking they must have been watching another band. The Eagles I saw were animated, energized, and having fun on stage--and I'm not only talking about Joe here! TBF, you don't have to worry about Timmy--he had lots of smiles, and several points in the show when he stirred up the crowd. Speaking of smiles, Don was breaking out in them left and right (OK, some of them were small, but still more than I was expecting!) And he looked great: no gray, no stubble, just that strawberry blond fluff of hair that kind of sticks up in front--love it! I never realized how many songs he plays guitar on, rather than drums. As usual, Joe was the crowd favorite in terms of having fun, sometimes bringing the others along for the ride. At one point during the latter part of the show (I think at the beginning of Funk 49, but I'm not sure now), he and Glenn get into a "dueling guitar" thing that everyone enjoyed. I'm not sure I would've noticed it had it not been described here on the Border, but that tippy-toe Joe as he sings is too cute! And finally Glenn:heart:--there are no words. Actually there are. But instead I'll mention that whenever Don was singing solo, Glenn would step away from his mike and mouth Don's words, even to the point of mouthing "ba-dum ba-dum bum" for the instrumental portion of Boys of Summer--how endearing! (As if he needed anything more to endear himself to me.) I only saw him do it once for a few seconds on one of Timmy's solos.

A little more on the generalities, then I'll leave the specifics till tomorrow.
The crowd on the floor was less than crazed. At the end of each song, most people would stand up to applaud, but then all quickly sit down as a unit as if tethered by rubber bands to their seats. Even after a song like Heartache Tonight where everyone was dancing the entire song, they would sit down to await the next one...rather than stay standing and play the odds that the next one would also be a barn-burner. Kind of disrupted the rhythm. Also, I had to laugh at the ~30-yr-old guy to my right:
We were sitting in the center of the left-hand section as you're facing the stage, so that we had to turn our heads maybe 15 degrees to see the entire band on the stage. He spent at least half the show looking at the large screen video to our left--that's right, not looking at the band in person from a distance where you can even see what color socks they are wearing! Ridiculous! (BTW, Timmy pale blue, Don white, Glenn black, Joe's I couldn't see--best viewed when band on stools during botanical portion of show.) More tomorrow...

TimothyBFan
11-25-2008, 08:11 AM
Love the reviews EV and Stars!!

First and foremost--DON-WHITE SOCKS-with a black suit? What were you thinking???

Stars-you brought tears to my eyes speaking of seeing them that close for the first time. I too, know what that felt like, only a week ago tonight. The first time I had really good seats in the first tier but there is really nothing like seeing them from the 4th row on the floor. WOW!!!! I also was in awe!

EV-Thanks for the update on Timothy. Glad to hear he is back to his usual self. Maybe he just wasn't feeling good a week ago--Hey maybe he had the cold that it sounds like Glenn might be getting.:shrug:

I also agree with the Joe tiptoe thing--LOVE IT!!!!

Can't wait to hear the rest of the review EV.

DonFan
11-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Wow, great reviews EV & Stars! EV, you definitely made me smile :mrgreen: with this:

"Speaking of smiles, Don was breaking out in them left and right (OK, some of them were small, but still more than I was expecting!) And he looked great: no gray, no stubble, just that strawberry blond fluff of hair that kind of sticks up in front--love it! I never realized how many songs he plays guitar on, rather than drums."

Personally, I LOVE it that Don comes out front so often now to play guitar. Two of the times that I shelled out big bucks to get close seats, my seat was positioned so that when he went back to play drums his head was directly behind the cymbals. Nothing is more irritating than cymbal-head. :-?

Anyway, I'm glad you two had such a terrific time!

(BTW, I hate it when my computer goes down like that too--ugh! I am a freelance writer and nothing makes me madder than to work very hard on an article and suddenly have the computer go down. Experience has taught me to save my work very often, every 5-10 minutes or so. :computer: )

11-26-2008, 01:51 AM
Thanks again EV and Stars for your excellent reviews. I am so glad you all had such a great time. There's nothing like seeing at least one concert 'up close and personal' is it? :wink:

eaglesvet
11-26-2008, 12:01 PM
OK, I'm back. This Thanksgiving stuff is getting in the way of my Eagles...but now at least all the shopping is done, pies are baked. Good thing I'm not having dinner here...I'd barely be able to stay awake after my 4hr ride back tonite!
Back to the rest of the Hershey review:
I wanted to do something special for the AMAs, so I had made a sign saying "Riding with Lady Luck at the AMAs" on one side and "C'mon, Ol' 55?" on the other, still harboring a glimmer of hope that if the guys became giddy over winning an award or two, they might actually play a song off a sign request (ala Springsteen's Magic tour.) The sign was small enough that I could roll it up and put it in my tote bag, with plenty of room left over for the chocolate roses I wanted to get. Since the venue allowed cameras, I had all of that stuff in a decent-sized camera bag, with no attempt to hide it. Once I arrived in town, I went first to check out the arena before hitting Chocolate World and getting dinner. And then it hit me: a sign I had seen at many an event before, but just hadn't planned on: No Outside Food or Drink Allowed. Now I had to come up with a plan to smuggle the chocolate roses in! Thankfully my car doubles as a storage container, so I dug up 2 cloth grocery bags and figured that would work as long as I could keep prying hands and eyes away from them. So off I went to Chocolate World--I took the tour, and then ended up in a paradise of everything chocolate...everything that's commercially available, that is. No chocolate roses, no chocolate guitars...but something better--half-pound Hershey Kisses! What better sentiment could there be? Actually, I would have preferred something bigger (who wouldn't?), but these were the biggest they had (each box was 4 in. square.) So, figuring I would just make every Eagle happy, I left there with my cloth bags 2 lbs. of chocolate heavier.

After a quick dinner, I arrived again at the arena with my contraband chocolate in the bottom of my tote with my rolled-up sign on top, and my camera bag on the other arm. As soon as I entered, the security guard took one look inside and said they were not permitting any signs inside! I looked at him in disbelief, and started to hand it over to him, and he just pointed to the trash can:cry:, and I dumped it. Oh well, at least it distracted him from the Kisses!

The concert started about 20 minutes late, due to some technical difficulties I think. When I got there, they had the first 3-4 rows of people all standing up in the side aisles for the roadies to climb up their ladders to the lights and equipment at the top. Great, there goes our chance for 2 encores...

Then, right before the concert started, the PA system announced they would NOT allow any cameras--so now I had lost my sign and my photo opportunity! But then the band came out, and I forgot all about that! As I said before, they were so hot! Right on the mark with their vocals! As if to make up for the CMA performance, Don sang BBF with soooo much emotion, it was fabulous. That was when I first noticed how much he smiled.

After that is when Glenn said that they didn't mind at all about photos (yea!), but if we saw anyone videoing, we should hit their hands and tell them to stop. Right before PEF, he did shout out to some of his family members in the audience, the Freys and the Quinners (surprisingly, not in the floor seats, but apparently in the tier seating on our right.) He mentioned going for coffee in Nazareth, PA. (I still have to look that up on the map.) Anyway, this brought back my hopes for a 2nd encore, thinking he would play it up for relatives! He did all of his usual jokes, but he still got laughs, which is why I guess he still does them!

I also got the impression that Timmy had some family or friends in the front rows on our left...he did kind of play to them a lot, and at the end specifically gave out some picks that way.

Boys of Summer was great...I recognized some photos from the Border (or vice versa, I guess). I had already mentioned how Glenn was mouthing (or singing softly) the instrumental part, as well as Don's vocals--too cute! No More Walks in the Woods and Waiting in the Weeds were breathtaking! The really interesting part is that I could see who was singing and playing what parts on the songs. For instance, that beatiful guitar strumming in the beginning (and interspersed throughout) WITW is Glenn, which I never knew. Also, someone on the Border had mentioned once in NMWITW that you can hear him sing "when branches were the sky"--well, in person you can actually hear that he belts it out with real emotion on his face. I thought both of those were wonderful!
Actually, there was an addendum to the "botanical/meteorological" joke. After that, Glenn goes on to say that NMCD is track 8 on disc 1 (as usual)...and then Timmy pipes up (are you listening, TBF?), "That would be immediately prior to track 9, wouldn't it?" And then Glenn turns to Tim and says, "Pre-cise-ly, Timothy."

When Timmy is about to sing Love Will Keep Us Alive, the Paul Carrack song that we heard 2 lines of was Tempted by the Fruit of Another. And actually, Glenn added another reference to the "satanic country rock rhythm and blues period" for One of These Nights, which surprised me (the first time was the usual Witchy Woman.)

Well, I've still got a bit more to write about, but I have to be Already Gone to Worcester! Happy Thanksgiving, and I'll write more soon.

TimothyBFan
11-26-2008, 12:16 PM
Thanks EV for my Timmy update:inlove:SIGH!!!!

But what the heck happened to the kisses? I can't stand the suspense!!!:confused: And I can't wait to see the pics!

sodascouts
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Ah, adventure after adventure EV! This is great!

GlennLover
11-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Great review, EV.I can't wait to hear the rest! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Freypower
11-26-2008, 06:16 PM
Ah, EV. thank you. It's me whose favourite part of NMWITW is 'when branches were the sky' when Mr Frey is quite prominent. I'm glad that part went well. I also presume that Don has now taught him to say 'meteorological'. I think at that point someone should yell 'Strange Weather'!

eaglesvet
11-28-2008, 03:45 AM
:wink:Back from Worcester (very early this am), and back from T'day festivities:

Correction to my last post--The song where you can watch a lot of photos familiar to Border members is actually Life's Been Good, not Boys of Summer. There are some of the guys around the pool (though I didn't see the one of Glenn hiding Randy's privates with his foot), and also some of them boating.

I think I left off at the band intros. I wanted to let Mrs. Henley, Stephanie, and Fred know that the saxophone player is from the Netherlands! After Glenn announced that, he said, "That's Holland, for those of you that flunked Geography." When Timmy introduced Glenn, we heard only the music of My Girl, but no words :-(. When Glenn introduced Joe, he said, "Last but not lost, a legend in his own mind, from the Garden State of NJ..." and a loud roar erupted. Joe responded with, "How ya doin'?", told us to repeat that to him, and then said, "Thanks for asking!" He then launched into an apology to "kids" in the audience whose parents played Life's Been Good endlessly while they were growing up, using that as a rationale as to why those kids were so messed up now! I think LBG got one of the best crowd reactions of the night, and Joe and the band definitely played up to that.

Timmy got the crowd riled up, clapping and dancing, for Dirty Laundry. Then Glenn and Joe had some fun doing a little dueling guitar work before Funk 49. I watched closely at the end of F49 to see what Soda mentioned about him counting down. Sure enough, he bent down to someone in the front and counted down with his fingers 1,2,3,4--but he had to repeat "Say it!" and then the count to that person three times. I'm not sure if they ever got the hint or not, but it actually did kind of look like he was saying "Sit!"

Then came the Guitar Incident. It was the last song of the second set, Life in the Fast Lane. Glenn started to play his electric guitar, and something went terribly:wink: wrong...no sound! His first reaction was to unplug and re-plug his cord into the guitar. But that wasn't working...he needed more help! When a roadie with a new cord came up to reach from behind and plug it in, Glenn raised his arms out of the way and then did this great little hip-swiveling dance :heybaby::heart:. I realized that sometimes a guitar just gets in the way. For instance, then. I think it would do wonders for the crowd if he could sing a song or two sans guitar... just him singing with his hips swiveling...sigh...
Oh, yea, umm...anyway, the new cord didn't do the trick. Finally, as the song played on, the roadie got Glenn a new guitar and all was right with the world.

Well, almost all. I still had my Kisses to distribute. I had been wondering all throughout the concert exactly how I was going to do that. It was painfully obvious that 7th row was no 1st row. Any attempt on my part to throw 4 half-pound Kisses on stage would likely get me arrested (or maybe just escorted out ot the concert) for assault and battery, never mind risking them getting broken into hundreds of tiny Smooches. Not my intent whatsoever. And trying to pass a Kiss forward through the hands of 6 strangers to the stage, and then down the line of Eagles until each was fulfilled--unlikely to succeed once, never mind 4 times ( and sounds rather unhealthy to boot.)

As far as I could tell, I had only one safe alternative. As soon as the lights went out after Life in the Fast Lane, I took a chance and brought my contraband up to the guard posted at the rope separating row 1 from the stage. Amid all the applause, I asked her if she wouldn't mind putting the boxed Kisses up on stage for each band member (I had taped a small note on each saying thanks and their name, and my 1st name so they would know who to kiss back--yeah, right!) After she got over her initial fear that I was running up front to charge onto the stage, she agreed to do it. Unfortunately, I must have forgotten to say the operative word, "Now!" as in "Would you mind doing this NOW!" I had wanted the Kisses onstage when the guys came back on for the encore, so they could at least make a mention and I could at least get a wave or a wink or something when I screamed out they were from me! Unfortunately, the guys played only one encore (Take it Easy and Desperado), despite the presence of the Freys and the Quinners; and unfortunately when the guys left the stage and the lights came up, little Miss Security was still up at her post clutching my Kisses! As everyone filed out, Stars and I tried several different paths to get up to the front, but it was like spawning salmon... No guard would let us up past row 6. Finally, on our last attempt, we bullied a large male guard into promising me that he would see to it that the Kisses left his colleague's hands and made it to those of the Eagles. But sadly, that is all that I know about the whereabouts of the Kisses. It was quite distressing to me, and this actually has been quite therapeutic for me to write about it.

A final quick few notes about the concert...the boys seemed to take quite a while to leave the stage. Don actually bent down and then stepped into the roped-off area to hand out 2 sets of drumsticks to people I couldn't see. As I mentioned before, I think Timmy knew some folks in the front left rows, because he was over there a bit and threw a few picks their way. Right before leaving, he, Glenn, and Joe group-hugged at that side of the stage, crouched down, and started making silly clown faces--a great photo op that both Stars and I missed because both of our cameras had gone on the blitz by that point. (Another tragedy in my night...my camera broke during intermission when I was changing film. Plus, much of that first roll was light-struck when I opened the camera, not realizing that the roll hadn't rewound. I don't know yet if the extent of the injuries are life-threatening, or if I will have to get a new camera. Plus I don't know yet how many Eagles pictures have survived.)
Oh, and that last shot of all 4 of them with their arms around each other saying goodbye? Timmy's shirt out looking like he's halfway to becoming undressed, Don in his suit jacket which he put back on just for Desperado, and the other 2 with tucked-in shirts looking HSG too--well, we missed that shot, too. Sorry.

Anyway, I have had way too much fun writing this. I'll write less about Worcester, because less is new! I'm working Fri and Sat (I usually also work Thur, but obviously not this week), so it may not be for a few days.

eaglesvet
11-28-2008, 03:49 AM
Forgot to mention that on the way home to NJ, on Rt. 78 E in PA there was a town called Frystown! I passed a rinky-dink Motel Frystown with a sign saying Budget Rates, and all I could think of was The Long Story! A few towns after that was Fogelsville, which reminded me of Dan Fogelberg.

sodascouts
11-28-2008, 03:50 AM
Terrific! I agree that sometimes a guitar can get in the way, lol. I love reading these detailed reviews - it feels like being there! Thanks again!

TimothyBFan
11-28-2008, 11:16 AM
EV-nice review. To bad Miss Security Guard couldn't get the directions done right! My favorite part...
"Oh, and that last shot of all 4 of them with their arms around each other saying goodbye? Timmy's shirt out looking like he's halfway to becoming undressed," :nahnah: Yeah baby!!!! That is always my favorite part of the show also and have several pics of him in disarray!

glenneaglesfan
11-28-2008, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the excellent reviews, EV and Stars. Sounds like a fantastic evening!

Freypower
11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks EV. Regarding your comment about wishing Glenn would sing a song without a guitar.... you read my mind, but he only does that during solo shows.

Just Another Hired Hand
11-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Damn! I should have gone to the Hershey concert too! Thanks for the great review!

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Thanks EV. Regarding your comment about wishing Glenn would sing a song without a guitar.... you read my mind, but he only does that during solo shows.
So, at least there's some hope, after the next year or two of LROOE touring...

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 11:52 AM
I finally now just read the John Duffy review posted by TBF, and he definitely got it all wrong. Amazing to think that he even could come up with some of the statements he made! Hotel Cal was not in any other key than the one I'm used to hearing, and it didn't sound thin or forced--it sounded just like Don. Glenn didn't struggle or destroy PEF or TITTL or any songs, for that matter. I guess Mr. Duffy was a bit confused when he stated that No More Walks in the Woods was penned by Don, since it was a poem before it was a song. And finally, the show did not grind to a halt at LROOE...it rocked on and on and on, thankfully!:headbang:

Brooke
12-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Wow! Wonderful reviews from both of you, ev and Stars! I felt like I was right there with you. And it's so cool that you two got to meet!

I loved hearing the about the color of their socks, too! Too funny!

Ev, I hope the guys got their chocolate kisses, even though the guard messed it up. Neat idea!

And no signs? What the $*%$! :shrug:

Brooke
12-02-2008, 05:28 PM

Thanks so much Soda. This is a fantastic community. :grouphug:

ticky
12-11-2008, 01:30 AM
Here are EV's pics from Hershey! *G*

http://tickypages.com/picturebin/Hershey.jpg

http://tickypages.com/picturebin/Hershey02.jpg

http://tickypages.com/picturebin/Hershey03.jpg
love this one...
http://tickypages.com/picturebin/Hershey04.jpg

AzEaglesFan
12-11-2008, 01:53 AM
I don't remember seeing these three guitars before, did they wear out their old ones and to bring in a new supply?

eaglesvet
12-11-2008, 02:00 AM
After I spent waaaaay too much time trying to post those photos, struggling to make way through my relative computer illiteracy...Ticky comes to the rescue ---converting tiffs into jpegs and whatever else she knows how to do with lightning speed!! Thanks, I definitely couldn't have done it without you! :bow::computer:

eaglesvet
12-11-2008, 02:01 AM
They brought out new guitars every song, so I couldn't tell you if these particular 3 are new to the LROOE tour or not. I was amazed by their collection!

ticky
12-11-2008, 02:07 AM
More then welcome *G* I love that I got to be the first to see them!! well.. second.. maybe third.. *G* well you know what I mean.

Peekaboo
12-11-2008, 06:36 AM
Very nice pics Ev. Makes me relive the concerts that i went to all over again.

TimothyBFan
12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
Here are EV's pics from Hershey! *G*

http://tickypages.com/picturebin/Hershey03.jpg

Oh My!!!! :inlove::inlove:Thank you EV and Ticky!!!!

sodascouts
12-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks from me, too!

12-11-2008, 01:28 PM
Thanks so much for sharing these with us EV, and to ticky for her assistance. They are great.

However, I have just one thing to say to Tim's bass neck in this photo ...

http://tickypages.com/picturebin/Hershey04.jpg

MOOOVE!!!
:wink: :lol: :twisted:

Stars
12-11-2008, 04:46 PM
EV, I LOVE the pictures!! They brought back such wonderful memories of that show. I'm so glad we got to meet each other there, and imagine, we were seated on the same row!:)
Ticky, thanks so much for helping EV post them!:thumbsup:

eaglesvet
12-12-2008, 11:49 PM
Dreamer--I know, that shot of the 3 of them would have been absolutely perfect if Glenn's face had been visible! I was so bummed, because otherwise, Joe and Timmy look so intense and the guitars look so cool the way they are lined up like that.

I had quite a few photos that just didn't come out remotely well at all--either too dark/light/blurry/whatever. Since my seat was in the left-hand section at both shows, I was very hopeful that the shots I took of Glenn at the keyboards directly in front of me ("I Can't Tell You Why") would be something to write home about. Unfortunately, no such luck. Guess I'll have to wait for a solo show and try again!

eaglesvet
12-12-2008, 11:54 PM
EV, I LOVE the pictures!! They brought back such wonderful memories of that show. I'm so glad we got to meet each other there, and imagine, we were seated on the same row!:)
Ticky, thanks so much for helping EV post them!:thumbsup:
Thanks & ditto!

12-13-2008, 01:38 PM
Dreamer--I know, that shot of the 3 of them would have been absolutely perfect if Glenn's face had been visible! I was so bummed, because otherwise, Joe and Timmy look so intense and the guitars look so cool the way they are lined up like that.

I had quite a few photos that just didn't come out remotely well at all--either too dark/light/blurry/whatever. Since my seat was in the left-hand section at both shows, I was very hopeful that the shots I took of Glenn at the keyboards directly in front of me ("I Can't Tell You Why") would be something to write home about. Unfortunately, no such luck. Guess I'll have to wait for a solo show and try again!

EV - The pictures that you took at both shows are wonderful, and as someone who is 'photographicaly challenged', I assure you that this fan is very appreciative of your efforts. I know it's disappointing when your pics don't turn out, which is why I don't even bother. I really enjoy all of the pics that everyone posts on the board, and, of course, I was just kidding about Tim's guitar neck. :wink:

BTW - just curious, but do you happen to remember which song they were playing when you snapped that picture?

eaglesvet
12-14-2008, 02:52 PM
Dreamer...I actually thought your 'MOOOVE' post was cute--no offense taken whatsoever! Normally when I take a photo, I would avoid anything like a tree growing out of a person's head or a guitar neck bisecting someone's handsome face...but a concert situation such as the Eagles does not lend itself to clear thinking and perfect picture composition!
I actually was planning to go through both rolls of pix together with the set list and try to figure out which songs go with which pix later tonight, because I promised Stars I would send her the whole slew of photos to remember Hershey by. So, hopefully, by comparing the good, the bad, and the ugly, I'll be able to determine which song that pix is from and I'll let you know. All I know for sure right now is that the last 2 pix from Worcester is Don singing Desperado.

eaglesvet
04-21-2010, 10:24 AM
I have an update to a question that was burning in my mind for over a year....

I sent a letter to Tim with the two photos that I've used as sigs from his Bitter End show in NYC in Oct. 2009, just to let him know how cool I thought his solo show was, and how long I've been a fan of the Eagles. In it, I related my story of the giant Hershey Kisses, and how difficult a time the arena staff was giving me in getting them to the Eagles. I asked Tim if he ever got his from the security personnel. Several weeks later (recently), I received a hand-written notation on a business card from his web site manager saying, "Tmothy thanks you for your kind words and photos. He doesn't know about the big Hershey kiss, sorry. Cheers, Julie." :sad:

Doesn't know? :shrug: What does that mean? Didn't get it? Doesn't remember? Did she really ask him? I'm sorry, but how can you not remember getting an unexpected 1/2-lb 6" Hershey Kiss when you play a concert in Hershey for the first time in 30 years (or ever, probably.) Tim, ya let me down, here, buddy! At least Julie did send that smokin' hot autographed full-length shot of Tim from LROOE, to ease my pain! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
04-21-2010, 10:33 AM
Tim, ya let me down, here, buddy!

This saddens me Eva! http://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif :hilarious:

Seriously, sorry you still don't really have an answer. But doesn't that picture make it all the better tho-or at least lightens the pain of not knowing? :hilarious: It always does me wonders when I look at mine!!

eaglesvet
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
The pain has been lessened, yes; although I must let the anxiety of not knowing linger with me to the end. Sigh...

04-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Aw - ev. That's too bad. Unfortunately, I take it to mean that he (or the other guys) never saw their Hershey kisses, and therefore, are totally unaware of them.As you may remember, I had a pretty similar experience with security at the Hampton show in Jan. '09 with the roses that my niece had bought and attached notes to. However, in my case, the security jerk wouldn't even accept them. He gave me the runaround, and sent me on some wild goose chase to give them to someone who was supposed to make sure the band got them. Yeah right - I suspect they ended up in trash can somewhere, which is really sad considering the effort my little niece made. :sigh: But, don't get me started about some of those security jerks!!! :wink:

sodascouts
04-21-2010, 02:15 PM
Maybe they thought your Hershey kisses were poisoned! Seriously, I imagine it might be a no-no to take food from fans and present it to the band. There are a lot of crazies out there.

As for the flowers.... SO LAME that they didn't let those up. The band obviously has no problem with that and seems to enjoy getting them.

Prettymaid
04-21-2010, 02:16 PM
These guys play in so many different cities that I can actually imagine them asking right before they go onstage, "Now what city are we in?" :hilarious:
It's no wonder that Timothy doesn't remember the giant hershey kisses (which they probably never got anyway). I'll bet he doesn'y even remember playing in Hershey, PA! I'm sure many hearts would be broken and fans disillusioned if we really knew what happened to all that stuff!

Brooke
04-21-2010, 02:34 PM
I have an update to a question that was burning in my mind for over a year....

I sent a letter to Tim with the two photos that I've used as sigs from his Bitter End show in NYC in Oct. 2009, just to let him know how cool I thought his solo show was, and how long I've been a fan of the Eagles. In it, I related my story of the giant Hershey Kisses, and how difficult a time the arena staff was giving me in getting them to the Eagles. I asked Tim if he ever got his from the security personnel. Several weeks later (recently), I received a hand-written notation on a business card from his web site manager saying, "Tmothy thanks you for your kind words and photos. He doesn't know about the big Hershey kiss, sorry. Cheers, Julie." :sad:

Doesn't know? :shrug: What does that mean? Didn't get it? Doesn't remember? Did she really ask him? I'm sorry, but how can you not remember getting an unexpected 1/2-lb 6" Hershey Kiss when you play a concert in Hershey for the first time in 30 years (or ever, probably.) Tim, ya let me down, here, buddy! At least Julie did send that smokin' hot autographed full-length shot of Tim from LROOE, to ease my pain! :hilarious:

I'm betting the web site manager ate it and never told Tim! :lol:

And at least you got something. I wrote Tim a letter some time ago and never got nuttin. :scowl:

04-21-2010, 03:10 PM
With regard to fans trying to give the band food such as Hershey kisses, I don't see why it would be a problem for the band to accept the food. But, honestly, I totally understand why they wouldn't eat it. Like Soda said, too many crazies out there.

And Brooke, that's too bad that you didn't get a response. I'm very surprised and maybe it was an oversight. Maybe you should give it a while and then try again. Timothy is generally very responsive to his fans who send him mail from everything I've heard.

TimothyBFan
04-21-2010, 06:20 PM
Brooke, I tend to agree with Dreamer here. Timothy goes over and above what most musicians do as far as replies to his fan mail. I know that from first hand experience. When I wrote my letter, over a year & a half ago or so, it took awhile, but I got a response along with that beautiful picture, which you all knew about since I posted it rather loudly on here. But I never told but a few of you about the follow up that was made later on. It meant the world to me to know that Timothy was so concerned about his fans. I hadn't told everyone and I don't really know why. I guess I wanted to savor it for awhile by myself! lol So now I will.

Here's the story....those of you that have been on here awhile probably remember me stressing out about writing him a letter just telling him how much Eagles and his music has meant to me for over 30 years now and especially for those last few years leading up to me actually sending off the letter as I went thru loss after loss of friends and family members from cancer, several in a 2 year period. At much urging from some of my vinyl night friends who were damn tired of hearing me talk about them and telling them I would be seeing them for the first time in September of 2008 after several botched tries (the most recent due to my fathers illness where I had tickets and couldn't go) I finally sat down and wrote my 2 page letter to Timothy.

I had also heard from someone that maybe a short email should also go to his webmistress and assistant. So I sent one of those off also, not quite as elaborate as the letter. A few months later, I received an email telling me that there was an autographed picture on the way and that Timothy was so happy to hear from me, blah, blah..... I figured it actually meant "I received not only a letter but an email and I feel you are stalking me-so please leave me alone now". Received the pic and posted a pic of the pic here. End of story....so I thought.

The day that I woke up to find a message for me from Soda telling me that Timothy would be playing a solo show in Chicago just over a week later, I also had an email from Timothy's assistant telling me about that same show AND telling me that she had received a call from Timothy the day before and he was holding MY LETTER in his hand and wanted to make sure that it was followed thru on. Apparently he told her my letter was "special" and that he was "touched" by it. She told him that she had set off a picture to me and he told her he also wanted her to send me a guitar pick and to make sure that I knew how much he appreciated my letter and how much it had meant to him to know that he had a fan like me.

I walked around with my head in the clouds for days and for that to come at the exact same time I was going to be seeing him in Chicago was unbelievable. I remember a few of you here asking "what will you say to him if you get a chance to talk to him?", (since he had met some fans at a previous show before Chicago). All I could think of was that I would probably blurt out something stupid about my letter and become a blubbering idiot and he would call security and have me tossed. It didn't happen, so I was safe. Let me tell you tho, as that day progressed, I got more anxious and more anxious (ask Cathy & Nancy-I'm sure they sensed it) and as those doors finally opened and I walked to the foot of that stage, I thought my knees were going to buckle at the thought of finally being within a couple feet of him after 30+ years of admiration and KNOWING that he had held my heartfelt letter in his hands less that 2 weeks before that show and had thought that it was "special".

Ok --there you go! :hilarious: Sorry for the 2 page entry here but it felt good to finally share it with all of you here.

So I will say to any of you that think they may NOT get your letters/gifts/pictures/etc.... Some of them do reach them and they really do mean something to them and they appreciate it!!

Brooke
04-21-2010, 07:31 PM
TBF, I remember your story and am very happy for you. I do understand that it meant a lot. I had much the same feelings when I met Don H several years ago at one of his solo shows. I nearly cried. And when I got to see the band in concert from the 3rd row back in 2003, after not seeing them since 1976 from nosebleed. I know exactly how you felt.

I guess my letter didn't touch him like yours did. But I also understand that he can't possibly respond to every fan letter.

TimothyBFan
04-21-2010, 07:51 PM
I guess my letter didn't touch him like yours did. But I also understand that he can't possibly respond to every fan letter.

Honestly, I don't think that's it at all. I tend to believe that he never SAW your letter. Maybe it got lost in the shuffle or never even reached the destination at all. I say try again!

Prettymaid
04-21-2010, 07:55 PM
I agree Brooke. I think it was an oversight and you should try again.

Brooke
04-22-2010, 09:55 AM
Well, maybe he never got it. I know how the mail service is these days. At work every month someone's payment that was mailed never reaches us. Or so they say they mailed it, or think they did. I tend to think they had good intentions, but somehow it was lost in the car, purse, etc. Some actually admit this happened. We have actually had payments show up after several months later and postmarked in timbuktoo. What they did with them (the usps) for all those months, who knows.

Anyways, I sent it to the address on this site. Maybe I'll try again sometime.

eaglesvet
05-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Willie, that is an amazing story! I'm glad you told it! I have not been on the Border in a couple of weeks, so I only just now read it. I believe that it's true that Tim may not have actually gotten my Kiss, and therefore his assistant could only have answered the way she did. I did write a nice one page letter when I sent in my photos, but obviously it wasn't as deeply moving as yours! Good job!

05-24-2010, 10:29 AM
Welcome back, ev - we've missed ya!

TimothyBFan
05-24-2010, 10:52 AM
but obviously it wasn't as deeply moving as yours! Good job!

I'm kinda wishing I wouldn't have written that above. I wasn't trying to say that my letter was any more moving than anyone else's but that those letters, notes, gifts really do mean something to these guys. Timothy's assistant had gotten the email I had sent. She said that Timothy had gotten behind because of the tour and he was trying to get caught up when he came across my letter. It had been there for months. These guys are busy and it some times takes lots of time before you ever get an answer.

Sorry if my post sounded like I was patting myself on the back for a great letter written. That wasn't my intention at all and I guess maybe that's why I never said anything in the first place. Maybe I should of kept it to myself after all. I really didn't mean to make anyone feel sad because they hadn't gotten responses.

Troubadour
05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
You didn't make it sound like that at all, Willie. I'm really glad you shared that story again - I knew about it, but it was good to read all of the details. I had a big smile on my face because I know how incredible that must have been for you.

I'm sorry for the people who haven't yet received a reply. I guess there are lots of things that might come into play there - maybe Tim didn't get it, maybe he read it and just didn't have the chance to respond right then and there, and it slipped his mind later (it happens with me often - to people I genuinely mean to respond to!) I would definitely try again, Brooke, if you have the desire to. And perhaps try emailing his webmistress, too. I'm sure Tim appreciates ANY letter he gets - whether it's deep and personal, or light and funny.

Brooke
05-26-2010, 10:33 AM
TBF, I loved reading your post about the letter also. Don't feel bad about getting a reply, for goodness sakes. I was just jealous and feeling sorry for myself. I'm honestly happy for you. :nod:

05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I agree! Willie, I'm glad you shared your story. It shows what a sweet:heart: Tim is and I know how excited you must have been to get such a response.

Prettymaid
05-26-2010, 01:14 PM
We all know what a sweetie Tim is. If he could answer every letter and email immediately he would. He loves his fans! He doesn't take us for granted!

eaglesvet
05-27-2010, 12:31 AM
Willie, I didn't at all mean for you to think that I was upset that your letter got a reply because it was better...sorry if my post implied that. Don't ever feel that your happy stories should go untold. We LOVE to hear things that make other Borderers' days (and lives) brighter!

Prettymaid
05-27-2010, 09:55 AM
EV, I've missed you! Welcome back!