PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia, PA 11-25-08

Stars
11-27-2008, 12:12 PM
Let me start out by saying that I almost didn't attend the Philly concert! I already had my tickets for Washington and Hershey, and I knew I couldn't afford to go to a third concert. But Philly is closest to my home, and I had a strong feeling I would regret it if I missed this concert. Little did I know I how right I would be! Although I loved each and every concert I attended, the Philly concert was magic, and it turned out that that one meant the most to me!
I went to this concert alone, as my husband had already attended the Washington concert with me, and although he enjoyed it, he said "once is enough"! As I took my seat, I was very conscious that this would be my last concert, at least for the time being, and I was very excited, and also a bit sad.
I knew right away that the night would be special, as soon as "How Long" began. As Glenn began singing the first verse, I happened to glance over at Don, and saw him smile, wave, and mouth "Hi"to someone sitting upfront. He obviously recognized them, and looked pleased to see them there!
The audience showed their love, right from the start. As the opening notes of "How Long" started, the crowd erupted-clapping, cheering, and pumping their fists in the air. The welcome our guys received from the Philly fans was overwhelming, and I know they felt it too.
During the interviews on the Farewell Tour 1 DVD, Tim shared his observations about the crowds at their concerts. "The audience really makes a big difference to me as to how the performance goes...the more you get back, the more you want to feed, sort of."
Feed they did, for over 3 hours! Even though I have heard these songs many times over, there were times I honestly felt as though I was hearing them for the first time.
Before Tim sang "Love Will Keep Us Alive", he exclaimed, "Great audience!" Then he went on to say that his wife is from Philadelphia, and he had visited here before and is familiar with the area. Of course this elicited a great cheer from the crowd!
Glenn spoke about how it took he and Don 2 days to write "Lyin' Eyes", because they did everything faster back then. He then did a quick little dance before he started singing. I don't remember seeing him do that before, and it really tickled me!
For "In the City", Joe donned a Phillies baseball cap, and while he was singing, scenes of Philadelphia played across the screen. Towards the end of the song, there was a clip shown of the Phillies winning the World Series this year. At this point, the crowd went absolutely wild, and everyone was on their feet cheering. I got the impression our guys were happy to share this joyous moment with their Philly fans!
During "Boys of Summer", I noticed that Don was really rocking out on his guitar, and Glenn was having fun mouthing the words, as Don was singing. In the meantime, Joe was bowing in all directions to the crowd, as the song was playing!
Just before "No More Cloudy Days", Glenn mentioned that they had donated some tickets to the Philadelphia Police Club. He then went on to say how tragic it was that 5 of Philadelphia's finest had been killed in the line of duty this year. He named each officer who had perished, and then dedicated NMCD to the fallen officers and their families. It was a very touching and emotional moment, and I cried during the song. I thought it was a very caring and compassionate gesture on their part to do that for the families.
"Take it to the Limit" got a fantastic reaction from the crowd. From where I was sitting (section 105), I could hear everyone singing along, myself included! It seemed to me that Glenn paused a bit longer at the end of the song. He sang "Take it to the limit...(paused a while longer)...one more time!"
We all loved it!
The band intros were fantastic! When Glenn introduced Timothy, he came dancing up quickly to the front of the stage. He seemed so happy and relaxed. (TBF, I knew you would love hearing about this!) Tim introduced "our fearless leader", and the opening notes to "My Girl" began. I began hoping and praying that Glenn would sing a bit of the song, and he did!! I had not heard him do this at Washington or Hershey, and I was absolutely thrilled!! He sang, "I've got sunshine on a cloudy day". I was so happy to hear this, that I'm not sure he sang the second line! I was just so glad to hear him singing it. I sat there grinning like an idiot! When Glenn introduced Don, the band began playing "The Yellow Rose of Texas"! Don was sitting at his drum kit, and he looked quite amused! Then he smiled the sweetest smile ever! My heart melted! When Joe was introduced as being from "The Garden State of New Jersey", the crowd went crazy! I think everyone from this area thinks of Joe as one of their own, and rightly so!
During "Life's Been Good", Joe wore a different Phillies cap, with his helmet cam attached. I just love this part of the concert, as it gives Joe a chance to be goofy and have fun. Everyone else has fun with him! Before the song started, he kept putting his hands up to the side of his face (ala Kevin in "Home Alone") and screaming, "Oh my God! Oh my God"! Then he gave us several "How ya doin's".
"Life in the Fastlane" brought the house down, and Glenn seemed to be dancing even more than usual during this song. The standing ovation was incredible and heartfelt.
The encore was "Take it Easy" and "Desperado", just as it was at the other concerts I attended. This time, however, both songs held a poignancy for me, since it was my last concert, at least for now. I looked around me at all the lit up cell phones, held high. I listened to the crowd singing along, myself included. I concentrated on those incredible voices of our guys, and I was grateful. It was a very special evening, and I felt privileged to have been a part of it. Remember on the Farewell 1 DVD when Glenn says he feels like the luckiest guy in the world? Well, on Tuesday night, I certainly felt like the luckiest gal in the world!:thumbsup:

wsccg
11-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Great Review Stars!!! I wish I could have been there. It sounds like an amazing show. I also know what you mean about it being your last show for a while. I saw them in Chicago and then in Green Bay and both shows were great! The Chicago show was the first time I've ever seen them live and since I live exceptionally closer to Green Bay, after the CH show, my friend and I had to get tickets. They are a truly remarkable band - worth every penny and mile driven! I'm glad your night was so fantastic and thank you for sharing it here!! Have a nice Thanksgiving Day.
-ws

TimothyBFan
11-27-2008, 05:46 PM
Stars-what a great review. I am so glad you went ahead and hit the third concert!! It makes it all the better since it was your favorite. Sounds like they were all in great form and I bet happy to be getting a bit of a holiday break and were a little giddy! Thanks for the Timmy observation!!! :inlove:

wsccg-It seems a few of us here have something in common as just recently getting our chances at seeing the guys for the first time and seeing them more than once in a couple of months time. You and I have even more in common---after over 30 years of being a fan, I too, also seen them for the first time in Chicago in September and then proceeded to see them again only last week in Cincinnati. I agree with you-worth every penny and mile driven for those shows!

Just Another Hired Hand
11-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Thank you for the great review. Tuesday night was the 3rd time I've seen the Eagles this year. They seem to get better each time out.

Freypower
11-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Fantastic review, Stars. What a lovely thing for Glenn to do during NMCD to make such a specific gesture. They must have a special thing for Philadelphia (I have been there once, Christmas 1980).

Ive always been a dreamer
11-27-2008, 11:26 PM
Wow Star - thanks for another great review. You are very good at this to be so new. And yep, after three shows all so close together, I thing there's a good chance that you could end up with a severe case of PEW! :D

sodascouts
11-28-2008, 03:48 AM
Another terrific review. What a special night - so glad you went after all!

TimothyBFan
11-28-2008, 11:19 AM
Welcome Just Another Hired Hand!!!! Sounds like you are a die hard fan also if you've seen them 3 times also. You will have to post some of your experiences!

glenneaglesfan
11-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Great review Stars, thank you! I'm envious of you all who are getting to more than one concert. I do hope they'll come back to the UK one day.

Welcome to the Border, JAHH!

eaglesrock
11-30-2008, 06:29 PM
Great write up on the show. I took my 15 year old son to this show and he thought it was awesome too. I got to see them in Philly in July too with my wife and I must agree the November show had a more casual laid back feeling. The guys seemed like they were really just having a fun time goofing off. The audience was great too. The Phillies videos, got the place going!

One thing I didn't even pick up on until we were heading out in the parking lot was that Joe Walsh didn't use the voice tube this time. I did notice a couple of his solos being different than usual but different in a good way...he is awesome no matter how he does it.

BTW - Cool site and this is my first post!

sodascouts
11-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Welcome eaglesrock! Interesting that Joe didn't use the "talkbox." Wonder if it was broken?

ticky
11-30-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey and Welcome Eaglesrock! (nice name btw *G*) I'm glad to hear they were a little more relaxed in philly. I hope that bodes well for the rest of the tour, maybe even loose those suits? (is that too much to pray for? *G*) but I hope they dont loose the talk box completely. I cant even imagine. It's too much a part of the show. I cant imagine RMW without it.

DonFan
11-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Welcome from me too, Eaglesrock!

TimothyBFan
12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Welcome Eaglesrock!!! I don't think I have welcomed you yet. Seems we are getting so many new members here, it's hard to keep track of all the welcomes to be made:?.

DonFan
12-01-2008, 09:53 AM
Isn't it great that we have so many new members? :-D

Ive always been a dreamer
12-01-2008, 10:53 AM
Yes it is, DF! And welcome from me as well, eaglesrock. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. It is also great to see all these incredibly bright parents here that are teaching their children so well by taking them to Eagles concerts. :wink:

tbs fanatic
12-01-2008, 11:09 AM
Sounds as though it was a fantastic show Stars. Thanks for the great review. Welcome Eaglesrock.

Freypower
12-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Isn't it great that we have so many new members? :-D

Yes, it is.:headbang:

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 04:10 AM
I bet the Border gets new members whenever a new run of concerts starts. I know that right after I saw my first LROOE show in May is when I started looking up Eagles websites. I actually found Nancy's Glenn:heart:site first, and then this. It just took me a few months of being a "guest" reader before I actually signed on. I guess others who are less shy than me would sign on right away. Welcome to all the newbies!

sodascouts
12-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Good point, EV. The more the merrier, I say!

Just Another Hired Hand
12-02-2008, 11:29 PM
Quoting Eaglesvet - I bet the Border gets new members whenever a new run of concerts starts. I know that right after I saw my first LROOE show in May is when I started looking up Eagles websites.

I think you are right on the money. I went to a Don Henley concert at the Borgata anticipating the next eagles tour. I tried to get tickets to Glenn Frey and Joe Walsh but they sold out quickly. Since then I've seen the Eagles three times this year.As you can tell I like to write concert reviews. I found this site by accident. It was buried deep in a google search. I couldn't wait to post my reviews and reeally enjoy reading about other's experiences at the events. I have found fellow concert goers to be warm and friendly and this site exemplifies this hunderds of times over.

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Which LROOE shows did you see--I think I read Philly and Borgata, but where else?

Just Another Hired Hand
12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Two in Philadelphia, July 14, 2008 and November 25, 2008 and the Borgata, July 17, 2008.

eaglesvet
12-03-2008, 01:37 PM
Oh, I didn't realize they did 2 shows in Philly split up like that...kinda unusual not to do them back to back.

Just Another Hired Hand
12-03-2008, 10:56 PM
I agree, but when opportunity knocks, open the door and let it in. I surprised my wife with the tickets...she was shocked when she saw the e-mail confirmation, even more when she saw we were in row 7, center stage...I think there is an image of Glenn Frey burned into her retinas!