PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia, PA 7-14-08

Just Another Hired Hand
11-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Eagles at the Wachovia Center (http://www.last.fm/user/samm2659/journal/2008/07/20/22ueuc_eagles_at_the_wachovia_center)

20 Jul 2008, 14:17 by Just Another Hired Hand
I have to admit I have been looking forward to this show for a long time. The Eagles are on of my favorite groups. I figured if the show were half as good as the one presented on the "Farewell I" tour DVD then it would be well worth it.

I had been looking forward to the release of "The Long Road Out of Eden". I bought it as soon as it came out. It was pretty much the high quality work I have come to expect over the years from the Eagles, especially the vocalizations. So I am a little confused as to why Glen Frey seemed a little apologetic for playing so many songs from the new album. I mean, isn't that why bands tour, so they can sell their work?

The Eagles arrived on stage at 8:15 PM. They came on stage wearing dark suits and white shirts while the other musicians were similarly attired except they wore black shirts. They were very deliberate in the way they highlighted the talents of each of the respective members. As the show heated up some of the jackets came off.

Glen Frey played to the crowd by acknowledging the new venue (Wachovia Center instead of the Spectrum). The crowd showed their appreciation by cheering wildly when an aerial shot of the Wachovia was shown while Joe Walsh sang "In The City." The stage video included many depictions of Philadelphia. The Eagles were quick to point out their many connections to the Philadelphia citing that Tim Schmit's wife, Jean, was raised in Philadelphia and Joe Walsh hailed from New Jersey. This greatly stoked the energy level of the audience.

Glen Frey and Joe Walsh had a little guitar competition before they progressed to "Funk 49". Joe Walsh won. The whole show, consideing the acoustics of the Wachovia sounded great. The vocals were clear and the music approached perfection. Joe Walsh seemed to have a stressful moment (if that's possible) when during "One of These Nights" his wireless unit failed. However, a quick thinking roadie plugged him in to his amp with an old fashioned guitar cord and the show went on.

As enjoyable as the Eagles songs were I think it is safe to say Joe Walsh stole the show. Both he and Don Henley gave first class performances of hit songs they proffered during their solo careers. And then there was a bit of a surprise...as Joe Walsh donned "helmet cam version 2" a woman in the front row flashed him which the camera picked up and caused a roar in the audience. I'm talking magnificent, bordering on spectacular! I saw another "flashing" but I'm not sure the camera picked this one up. All it takes is one. I really enjoyed the look of disbelief on Glen Frey's and Joe Walsh's faces. Pardon me if I flubbed the order as I did it from memory. Here is the set list:

How Long/ Busy Being Fabulous/ I Don't Want to Hear Anymore/ Guilty of the Crime/ Hotel California/ Peaceful Easy Feeling/ I Can't Tell You Why/ Witchy Woman/ Lyin' Eyes/ Boys of Summer/ In The City/ Long Run/ (Intermission)/ I Dreamed There Was No More War (Instrumental)/ No More Walks in the Wood/ Waiting in the Weeds/ No More Cloudy Days/ Long Road Out of Eden/ Love Will keep Us Alive/ Take It To The Limit/ Somebody/ Walk Away/ One of These Nights/ Life's Been Good/ Dirty Laundry/ Funk 49/ Heartache Tonight/ (1st encore) Life in the Fast lane/ Rocky Mountain Way/ All She Wants to Do Is Dance/ (2nd encore) Take it Easy/ Desperado

The supporting musicians were up to the task as Don Henley interacted with fellow percussionist Scott Crago with steady precision performances. The Eagles Horn Section, Greg Smith, Al Garth, Christian Mostert and Bill Armstrong presented a blistering performance during the Eagles version of "Funk 49". As always Steuart Smith's guitar playing was flawless and innovative with some of the slde techniques he used. The keyboards of Will Hollis and Michael Thompson were crisp and clear as was new addition keyboard player Richard Davis. Al Garth's violin work nicely augmented "Peaceful Easy Feeling".

During "Dirty Laundry" the rear stage video featured clips of Rupert Murdoch, Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, Fox News and then some gag footage like "Glen Frey wins the Masters" and "Don Henley Solves Global Warming" superimposed on magazine covers.

Don Henley gave extremely energetic and impassioned performances in "Long Road Out of Eden" and the "Boys of Summer".

This show is quite possibly one of the best I have ever attended. The Eagles are very adroit in giving the crowd what they want. This night they didn't disappoint.

I am offering this here. I originally posted it on last.fm. I think the people here will appreciate it much more. Enjoy!

GlennLover
11-30-2008, 01:04 AM
We certainly do, JAHH! Thanks so much for posting it.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Thank you again, JAHH for another great review. If there is any place where people will appreciate your efforts, I am pretty sure it is here! :wink:

TimothyBFan
12-01-2008, 08:50 AM
Mike--I have absolutely loved reading all the reviews! That is one of my favorite things about this board, reading everyone's Eagles experiences.

I loved the story you told me about the "old people" at the concert! How time flies huh? The concerts we have attended tho have also included quite a few young fans (including my 16 year old daughter who is a huge fan!) As a 45 year old life long fan and mom, it was the best experience to take her to her first concert, especially since it was the Eagles.

Thanks for the nice thought about the pick-but I am definitely with Marcelle on this one, tell her to hold on to it TIGHT! :grin: But someday we would love to at least touch it!;)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-01-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for yet another entertaining review, JAHH. And I'm sure your lucky wife can find some takers here if she decides she wants to get rid of that pick! :nod: :nod: :nod:

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 11:02 AM
Welcome JAHH! Interesting review...sounds like your show featured a little more "show" than most! I bet the Eagles were a little surprised, to say the least!

Just Another Hired Hand
12-01-2008, 12:25 PM
I didn't think it would be possible to surprise Joe Walsh. He and Glenn looked at one another with looks of total disbelief. I thought that over the years they would have seen it all, but, none the less, they were genuinely surprised by the "Flasher". Maybe she thought she was at a Motly Crue concert.

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 12:31 PM
I'm not certain if any Border members would consider this element of surprise at any of the remaining concerts? Unfortunately, I'm all out of tickets! And I don't think there's any way I could carry something like that out, even if I was a lot younger...unless maybe if I was drunk! Thankfully, my days of drinking ended loooong ago!

EagleLady
12-01-2008, 12:33 PM
:lol: Maybe it was Rhonda

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 12:41 PM
Let's see what she says!

EagleLady
12-01-2008, 12:42 PM
:lol:

ticky
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
:lol: Maybe it was Rhonda

Damn... HOW'D ya know?? *G*

eaglesvet
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
So, it's all been a farce, this complaining about being from the left coast, huh?

EagleLady
12-01-2008, 03:08 PM
Damn... HOW'D ya know?? *G*

Haha, we all know You're Joes girl ;)

ticky
12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
ALL Im gonna say is I'm not posting any more naked pictures of myself on the internet... people already know way too much about me.. *G*

EagleLady
12-01-2008, 03:37 PM
:lol: I don't blame you Rhonda