PDA

View Full Version : Hiya Everybody!

hickfromhell
12-02-2008, 12:22 AM
I've been on here for about a week now and I'm just NOW getting around to introducing myself...weak! Well...my name is Thomas, how are all of you? I'm 20-years-old, and I've been an Eagles fan since I can remember. My dad used to play Eagles records all the time when I was growing up. When I turned 14 I started playing guitar, and now I can play just about any Eagles song you can think of! They are definitely the best band in the world, and I KNOW you all agree...which makes me excited to get to know all of you! Umm...I don't know what else to say...sooo....welcome me people and I look forward to anything and everything that goes on here!

Wildthyme
12-02-2008, 12:45 AM
Welcome to The Border Thomas. We are just one big Eagles loving family around here and we are always happy to have others who appreciate "the boys" join us.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Welcome Thomas. Glad you found us, and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border. We always welcome fans of one of the greatest bands ever. Join in and have fun.

ticky
12-02-2008, 02:36 AM
Thomas, Are we glad to see you. Not just a young Eagles fan, a male! (something we ARE seeing more and more of around here!! yea us!!) AND a guitar player! and whats more, a man who was raised right. Kudos to Daddy! Welcome to the border and hope on in!

ochiba kid 1
12-02-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi Thomas, Hick From Hell, I like that, nice one, you can play Eagles, you make me sick ! when I went for guitar lessons with a friend he was getting on great guns, I was crap, the teacher said to me to give up as you will never be any good with fingers like that ? he said they were more like Pork Sausages than fingers, so I agreed, the closeset I got to the guitar was when my 8 year old just gave up lessons after about 6 months, welcome to the board, can you do the Hotel Intro on Hell Freezes Over, for me that was the greatest ever record made better, I love doing youtube and watching people do that one ( or some people trying and killing ) get yourself on there with that and you have found 5 mins of fame

Have a good time here

Gary:rockguitar:

TimothyBFan
12-02-2008, 09:41 AM
Welcome Thomas!!! I'm with Ticky here--it is so good to see a young male on the board. We are getting more and more men on board which is really nice, if all of you can handle the "freckle counting" that us females do here.:hilarious: Mike calls us out on it periodically. As a guitar player, Mike will LOVE you!

Glad your father brought you up right! That is what I've been doing with my kids for years. It worked on my 16 year old daughter-a hardcore Eagles fanatic like her mom!

Hope you chime in often and enjoy it here. It's a great place to be for ANY Eagles fan!!!!

sodascouts
12-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Welcome Thomas! I was wondering who the "hick from hell" was. lol

ochiba kid 1
12-02-2008, 01:49 PM
Thanks tim b fan, thats nice I am 37, so by this sites standards I am past it am I, right I am off back to another site then, thank you and goodbye. LOL

Insulted from the UK:headbang:

sodascouts
12-02-2008, 01:51 PM
Yikes, don't say that ochiba kid, I'm gonna be 34 in a week! We old folks gotta stick together. ;)

ochiba kid 1
12-02-2008, 01:57 PM
OMG I thought I was old, now everybody is younger than me, I used to be the young one everywhere I went, now it seems I am old and decrapitated, OH WELL!!! not long for the scrap heap now the both of us

DOH!!!!!!!!

Still insulted from the UK:headscratch:

MikeA
12-02-2008, 02:02 PM
if all of you can handle the "freckle counting" that us females do here.:hilarious: Mike calls us out on it periodically.

Oh come-on TBF I'm not THAT bad...am I? <LOL> It is good to have some diversity though and I welcome you HFH! Let's jam! :rockguitar:

sodascouts
12-02-2008, 02:03 PM
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/othgifts_2030_3754191

TimothyBFan
12-02-2008, 02:13 PM
OMG I thought I was old, now everybody is younger than me, I used to be the young one everywhere I went, now it seems I am old and decrapitated, OH WELL!!! not long for the scrap heap now the both of us

DOH!!!!!!!!

Still insulted from the UK:headscratch:

Don' worry Gary--I've got ya both beat--I'm 45 and still in my prime, thank you very much!!!:headbang: There are days I feel 85 and days I still feel 25--luckily so far it is the latter more than the other!! :laugh:

ticky
12-02-2008, 02:14 PM
Not everybody Gary *G* I even beat Willie! Im 46! *G*

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
I barely beat Ticky out by a hair at 47, but I'm going with the ever-popular theory that 40 is the new 30! (and so on...)

MikeA
12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
I barely beat Ticky out by a hair at 47, but I'm going with the ever-popular theory that 40 is the new 30! (and so on...)

I don't even want to talk about it!

ticky
12-02-2008, 03:08 PM
I was going by 60 is the new 40.. which means Im 27!!!!! (I like that idea!!)

Awe Mike.. you're only as old as you feel.. come here and let me feel ya :twisted:

MikeA
12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I was going by 60 is the new 40.. which means Im 27!!!!! (I like that idea!!) Awe Mike.. you're only as old as you feel.. come here and let me feel ya :twisted:

See what I have to put up with here HFH?????? Ain't got no respect!

hickfromhell
12-02-2008, 03:22 PM
I know I am definitely a youngin' around here...but if it helps...I feel pretty old too! I mean...I DO NOT fit in with people my age. I've always been more mature than them..and my musical taste shows this. Thanks for the comments about my dad. He was actually killed in a car accident when I was 14...thats why I picked up the guitar...because I got my dad's old one. I know he would be proud of me...both as a man and a musician...espesically since I know I could whoop his ass at guitar! haha. But seriously folks...thanks for the welcome. You are all awsome! and uhh....I am sure I could play Hotel California from Hell Freezes Over...I just haven't picked up my nylon guitar and tried...I think I am going to now!:rockguitar:

ticky
12-02-2008, 03:25 PM
See what I have to put up with here HFH?????? Ain't got no respect!

POOR BABY!! *G* all these women wanting to feel him.. yeah *G* you got it bad! hehehehehe

Gary, *G* Keep pluckin' the strings!! Im just learning and I love it! Havent mastered HC yet tho!!

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 03:36 PM
I don't even want to talk about it!
Notice the extra large print...that's what happens when your arms are not long enough to read anymore!! (I know...my arms finally got too short, and I had to cave in and getting good ol' reading glasses this year...I've been fighting that, kickin' and screamin'!)

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 03:40 PM
Oh, HFH, you'll find that we do have some very nice European 20-somethings on the Border too...they just haven't chimed in yet!

Littlemelly9
12-02-2008, 06:24 PM
HI HI HI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ochiba kid 1
12-02-2008, 06:50 PM
OK I give up on this one, my new theory, you are as old as the Women you feel ! DOH!!! my wife is 11 years older than me ! just the way I like them, and yes with my spinal problems I feel a least double my age, anyway we have gone of track here, back on it now, ! sorry to hear of your loss, your Dad I am sure would be proud, I lost my brother-in-law at 41 to Brain Tumors, he was a London Black cab driver, he had a great mind, alas that is what killed him, he was the life and soul of any party, he died in 1997, when we went to partys, he would get out the six or twelve string and do Hotel to the amazement of others, he could play anything, for me people who play instruments have a talent that others ( me ) could only dream of, you try and do the HFO Hotel version, when you got it, you put it on YTube and let us all know, I take my hat off to you, everybody has something that they are talented with, I would swap one of mine for the chance to play, all the best Hick Boy

Gary ( not so insulted UK ):guitar:

ochiba kid 1
12-02-2008, 06:53 PM
PS Soda, the tax has just changed in the UK, what the hell that will do I am not sure, I am no good with math, I cannot work it out

Gary

Glennsallnighter
12-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm 40! But whenever I look at Glenn :heart: I feel like I'm 16 again!!

Troubadour
12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Hi Thomas, welcome to The Border! I'm 22, and a huge Eagles fan, so it's great to have you here. I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.

hickfromhell
12-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Ochiba, thank you for your kind words...I will bust my butt to learn that HFO Hotel just to share! I'm equally sorry for the loss of your brother-in-law...41 was is the same age my dad was...WAY too young! I may have talent for what I do...but its drive that made the music such a big part of me. I just really wanted to play guitar because it meant so much to him that I wanted to push to be as good and better than him. So, for me its way more about drive than talent...I figure if you want to do something...just do it! I'm also in school right now to be an Engineer and Producer...so that I can not only play music...but it can be my job as well!

hickfromhell
12-02-2008, 09:23 PM
Aso....Troubadour! nice to see a fellow kid on here! Thanks for the welcome.

chaleymom
12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
wow - talk about feeling old..... geesh! I shouldn't even be ON this board!!!! My 18 year old daughter even thought I was nuts! Let's just say I beat you all............ (but all my daughter's and 24 year old son's friends still think I'm cool.... does that count?)

Welcome Thomas! I'd like to hear you jam with my son. He's a pretty amazing guitarist himself.... though he doesn't play Eagles music.... (what's WRONG with him???)

It's about my bedtime.... nite kids!

Peekaboo
12-03-2008, 04:55 AM
From a fellow twenty something (24, i'll be 25 next month), I would also like to say Welcome Thomas. I'm the same way as you, I often find that i relate more to those older than me. One of my closest friends is 40, she's also a co-worker and understands my Eagles craziness. I've been told many times that I have an old soul, mostly because of my taste in music and i'm not immature like some of the people i know that are around my age. I think it's great that you play the guitar. I'm sure i've said this on here before but being musically inclined is one talent that i wish I had. Sheet music is like reading chinese to me and I can't sing worth a darn. Although i am amazing when i'm singing in the car and no one is around :grin:

ochiba kid 1
12-03-2008, 05:56 AM
I must be doing something wrong, my eldest Daughter is 18 and at Uni in Bedford in the UK, to her I am the most uncool thing ever, she used to love the Eagles, when she was small I drumed it into her, likewise her sister, now when I play it which is everyday, I really do mean everyday it's not only the wife that moans, but both kids as well ? you just cannot buy class, both my 2 @ 8 & 18 have no class, well on music anyhow ?

Gary:armed:

TimothyBFan
12-03-2008, 10:35 AM
wow - talk about feeling old..... geesh! I shouldn't even be ON this board!!!! My 18 year old daughter even thought I was nuts! Let's just say I beat you all............ (but all my daughter's and 24 year old son's friends still think I'm cool.... does that count?)

D*mn Right that counts!!!! I have actually overheard my kids tell people they have the coolest parents! :p I was pretty proud of that since they are 16 and 18. My daughter has told me that if I ever start dressing like a "soccer mom" she will disown me.:hilarious:No chance of that I assure her! You are only as old as you feel or act.

I know what you mean tho--my kids think it is hilarious that Mom is on a couple of message boards! Katie says she is happy I am now tho-because without a little encouragement from Soda, I probably never would have driven and made the 5 hour trip to see the Eagles in Cincinnati! Gave Katie her first ever rock concert which also happened to be one of her favorite bands.

hickfromhell
12-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I must be doing something wrong, my eldest Daughter is 18 and at Uni in Bedford in the UK, to her I am the most uncool thing ever, she used to love the Eagles, when she was small I drumed it into her, likewise her sister, now when I play it which is everyday, I really do mean everyday it's not only the wife that moans, but both kids as well ? you just cannot buy class, both my 2 @ 8 & 18 have no class, well on music anyhow ?

Actually...I think you have done exactly what you need to do as a parent. If your kids dont wonder away from the way you raised them at some point...then you have failed! its the fact that they are curious enough to search for other things. And although they didnt end up with your musical taste...doesnt mean they didnt end up with a little bit of you in their heads. I am probably wrong...but that sounds good to me! haha.

ticky
12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
*G* ssokay Gary, my 18 yr old thinks Im totally embarassing and BECAUSE I'm infatuated with the Eagles, she doesnt like them.. ANYMORE... I need to add that because she went with me to the concert in 03 and LOVED them then. HOWEVER, she's now enthralled with Bob Dylan, so its more of a rebellion thing with her then her actual tastes *G*

ochiba kid 1
12-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Mr Hick from hell, you talk a lot of sense for a young guy, credit to you and your upbringing, keep rocking

Gary

hickfromhell
12-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks Gary! I am a very hard thinker...I always question everything and want to know everything. That doesnt mean I DO know everything...it just means I never stop wondering about things. My mom and dad taught me to be a thinker...and question everything. It seems to me that that isnt something that happens too much amongst my age group! Oh well...at least there are some of us youngin's out there that are still that way.

-Thomas

MikeA
12-03-2008, 04:54 PM
Thanks Gary! I am a very hard thinker...I always question everything and want to know everything.

Do Not stop that Thomas. If there are 999 people who have one opinion and you have another, assume that the 999 people are dead wrong! You won't win a lot of friends, but it will force you to critically analyze your own methodology in arriving at conclusions and if you maintain your original conclusion, then you thought outside the box and have seen something the rest have missed.

But in doing that, do be ready to see where you might have made a mistake leading YOU to drawing the wrong conclusion.

By the way, that pretty much describes the thought process of 99% of the good programmer analyst in the business of working with computers! We take nothing on blind faith and double check every routine for accuracy using every possible combination of variables before pronouncing a routine bulletproof. A stuborn lot we are :brickwall:

hickfromhell
12-03-2008, 06:55 PM
MakeA...very true! I completely get where you are coming from! And I am very much like that...I am willing to be corrected if I have made a mistake. Dont women love that in a man? haha.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 08:56 AM
MakeA...very true! I completely get where you are coming from! And I am very much like that...I am willing to be corrected if I have made a mistake. Dont women love that in a man? haha.

:nod::nod:

hickfromhell
12-04-2008, 10:29 AM
This is completely random...and Im probably saying this to the wrong crowd....but did yall know that Joe Walsh gave Jimmy Page his '58 sunburst gibson les paul guitar? thats the guitar that Jimmy is most pictured with...with the exception of the double neck gibson. Jimmy didnt have money for a guitar like that....so Joe just gave it to him because he liked his music. If I had the ability...Ide probably give a couple guitars away too...I think thats pretty awsome.

MikeA
12-04-2008, 10:51 AM
This is completely random...and Im probably saying this to the wrong crowd....but did yall know that Joe Walsh gave Jimmy Page his '58 sunburst gibson les paul guitar? thats the guitar that Jimmy is most pictured with...with the exception of the double neck gibson. Jimmy didnt have money for a guitar like that....so Joe just gave it to him because he liked his music. If I had the ability...Ide probably give a couple guitars away too...I think thats pretty awsome.

Pretty close on the Walsh/Page deal. I saw a special (MTV? maybe) what followed Page around for a while and he has become a fanatic on collecting guitars now. He had been trying to run down some guitar that he'd sold when he was hard up for money and hadn't been having much luck finding it.

ochiba kid 1
12-04-2008, 10:57 AM
What the hell is going on with you guys Hick & MikeA, you guys are way to deep for a dumbarse like me, can we try and talk about The Simpsons, I understand that LOL

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
What a wonderful story. Love to hear stuff like that! I'm surprised Page was so down on his luck, though.

hickfromhell
12-04-2008, 11:04 AM
haha Gary! I read that in a James Gang 2006 interview. I was trying to look for something that might make my amp sound more like Joe's with no luck...but I did find that bit of info. Turns out that Joe hasnt had a set guitar rig pretty much his whole career...he is always playing something different and new. I mean...the show I went to in Tulsa, OK on 11/11 this year...he was playing a Zakk Wylde signature Epiphone guitar! I never pinned him for a ZW fan....but thats cool with me...because I am as well!

ticky
12-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Mike, didnt we find a picture in another thread on another board of that exact guitar? Do you remember where it was? It was all of Page's gits and there was a short synopsis of what it was and how he got it. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

ochiba kid 1
12-04-2008, 12:25 PM
I have seen these guys in concert more times than I would own up to ( my marriage would fail ) last in the front row, so I saw for myself the guitar changes that these guys do between every song OMG, the guitar tech's are worth their weight in gold ( I do not play ) but you guys who do will understand this a whole lot better that me, also not sure if you have heard this, I read and article years ago about Clapton, his words were for him Walsh was the best guitar player around ( except him ) he is pretty cool, but give me Joe anyday, his on stage presence is out of this world, also Felder was great, but we cannot forget Mr S Smith, he has done a bloody good job, wether you agree with the whole Felder fall out and such, you cannot take away Smith's credentials on the strings, that is enough for now, all the best

Gary:armed::armed::armed::armed:

MikeA
12-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Mike, didnt we find a picture in another thread on another board of that exact guitar? Do you remember where it was? It was all of Page's gits and there was a short synopsis of what it was and how he got it. I'll look around and see if I can find it.

We did Ticky....see that gitter of Page's. I remember you found it. Maybe on Page's website? Or Led Zep's. Really can't remember.

The story was that Page was looking everywhere for a 58 or 59 Les Paul...could have been a 57. Anyway, Joe had an extra one and either sold it to Page or gave it to Page...depends on whose version it is you are listening to. I'm not sure that we could depend on what either of them remembered from the 70's!

But whatever the details, the LP we're talking about came from Joe for sure and it was because it was a highly sought after model and they were very hard to find. Joe had two of them. Page had none. The situation was rectified.

hickfromhell
12-04-2008, 06:28 PM
That would be pretty cool to see.

ticky
12-04-2008, 07:18 PM
Ok.. here it is, well its a different thread but same guitar and story.
http://i373.photobucket.com/albums/oo180/zeppy72/JP%20Gear/Guitars/telecaster3.jpg (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889990)
This is Page with the Yard Bird's before the "traggic accident" You can read about it in the quote right above the pictures, (Click the pic to get to the main story)

After reading through that thread, there seems to be a lot of differing opinions there.. you'll have to check it out yourself and make what you can out of it *G* but there are some great pics!!

MikeA
12-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Wow. That's huge Ticky! I have spent at least an hour trying to digest it. I can stay with them on the guitars, but when they get into the amps, speaker cabs and effects pedals...well, they leave my comprehension in the dust!

But what it points out is that the sounds we associate with artists are FAR MORE than just their choices in guitars!

hickfromhell
12-05-2008, 12:39 AM
actually...the one thing i have learned the most since I've been interning at a professional recording studio....the sounds and tone come more from the player than from the amps, cabs, speakers, pedals, cables, AND guitars! If you put someone like Randy Rhoads on Joe Walsh's rig...he would still sound like Randy. It's the reason why Joe can use soo many different rig combos in his career...but he is always very distinctly heard as Joe Walsh! the tone is in the hands and fingers, people.

MikeA
12-05-2008, 01:36 AM
Hickfromhell (Thomas, right?)

Maybe we are talking about two different things. I think we must be.

The sound produced by the amps and effects can't be done by talent alone. These guys do have to have the equipment capable of producing that sound they are after.

The Eagles for example. Certainly no one here is going to question the musical talent these guys have. But do you suppose they could get the same sound without equipment (effects and amps and guitars) between say "New Kid In Town" and "Rocky Mountain Way"? The "talk box" alone would render that impossible not to mention the distortion and induced effects in RMW.

That's all I was talking about. :cheers:

You give me $1,000,000...oh heck, shoot the moon and give me $2,000,000!...and I can go out and buy the same equipment that Walsh has...or Buddy Guy or Jimmy Page and I'll guarantee you that while the playing field is level, I am NEVER going to be able to sound like them whether I have the same equipment they have or not (Damnit!) :roll: I have long since been forced to concede that you cannot buy talent.

TimothyBFan
12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
I've been reading this and have also heard the same versions of the story-I really have nothing to add but this...

Jimmy Page is a GOD! !

I swear, I could watch that man play guitar forever!!!! In fact I have logged a lot of hours watching Song Remains the Same, Mothership and other videos!! The things he can do with a guitar! :dizzy:

hickfromhell
12-05-2008, 10:30 AM
yes, my name is Thomas. i totally get what your saying...we are sort of talking about something different. the effects, such as the talk box, do lend to enhancing the sounds a player can prodce, but i promise if Stewert Smith was playing out of Joe's rig....he wouldnt sound like Joe! there is a huge tone difference even just in the area where a player picks the strings. for example, if a player picks closer to the bridge of the guitar it would have a more twangy sound...and if they picked closer to the neck of the guitar...it would end up sounding fatter and beefier. but our conclusion seems to be the same...you DEFINITELY cannot buy talent. just because you have all the right stuff...doesnt mean you can produce what they put out.