PDA

View Full Version : Now why do you suppose they did that?

Just Another Hired Hand
12-02-2008, 10:47 PM
There is something I have been wondering about for a while and I can't think of a better place to ignite some discussion.

I am a long time Eagles fan (Even though I live in the Philadelphia area people often confuse this for attachment to the broken football team of the same name). But this is a football related issue.

There was an attempt to get the Eagles to perform at the half time show of the 2008 Super Bowl. They declined in favor of performing at the Grand Old Opry. I do not understand this decision. The band had just come out with a new album. Could there be a better forum than the Super Bowl (and its huge audience) for a band to showcase their work? I mean, no slight to them because they're both great, but Paul McCartney and the Stones? English performers, although great ones, at an American institution. I couldn't think of a better half time show than the Eagles. No wardrobe issues here. Any thoughts?:headscratch:

EagleLady
12-02-2008, 10:58 PM
I'd say it's more of an honor playing at the Grand Ole Opry than it is at the Super Bowl.

ticky
12-02-2008, 11:00 PM
Yeah, the new album was and is highly considered a country album and what better platform to introduce a country album then the Grand Ol Opry? and, i dont know if it was known back then, but they were up for a CMA award. again, no better place to advertise that them The Opry! *G* I agree, I probably would have watched the football game over the Opry, but I think it was a good and thoughtful move on their part here considering where they were coming from.

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 11:34 PM
I'm not very familiar with country music, but is the Grand Olde Opry something that is televised? I didn't think so. It's something you attend live, I imagine like the Radio City Music Hall Christmas Spectacular, isn't it? If so, then the potential audience reach of those 2 events is completely in different leagues! I know that most folks in the Northeast Corridor of the US couldn't give two hoots about the Opry (sorry), but regard Super Bowl Sunday equal to a holiday. I myself am mildly interested in the football component, but given the recent trend toward big name entertainment at halftime, try to watch at least that much of it! It's all anyone can talk about around here that Springsteen's doing this year's halftime show!

:rockguitar:

EagleLady
12-02-2008, 11:41 PM
Yes it is Televised on GAC.

eaglesvet
12-02-2008, 11:44 PM
I'm guessing here---Great American Country??

EagleLady
12-02-2008, 11:46 PM
Yup, That be it.

sodascouts
12-03-2008, 08:46 AM
I'm a bit confused here - when did the Eagles play the Opry? I don't remember that. Did I miss something?

As far as I know, the Superbowl is in January or February, and they played no dates then. They played Nashville and appeared on the CMAs at other times, but not at the Opry, and it had nothing to do with the Superbowl.

I don't know why the Eagles passed up the chance to play at the Superbowl, but it wasn't due to the Opry. I still think it would have been fun to see them at the Superbowl, though! Only reason I would watch it, lol. I agree that they would have been much more appropriate than Paul McCartney and the Stones!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-03-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm with Soda here. I'm almost sure that the Eagles have never played on the Grand Ole Opry. They have appeared at the last two CMA shows which are held in Nashville each November.

As far as the Super Bowl, I also think it would have been very cool if they had appeared. I heard rumors at the time that the negotiations fell through because of some technical staging concerns that the band had. However, I have no idea if that is true or not. Maybe we can cross our fingers that one day it'll happen. :headbang: