PDA

View Full Version : Fleetwood Mac

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

sodascouts
07-04-2006, 11:49 AM
There is some animosity in the Fleetwood Mac fandom towards the Eagles and especially Henley. Some Stevie fans absolutely loathe him. I was wondering if the reverse were also true?

~

glenneaglesfan
07-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Well, I first heard the 'Rumours' album at a party in 1980 ( or posibly 81) and it hit home immediately. I hadn't caught up with any other stuff until I bought a compilation album this year, since when they have become a second favourite. I am saving them for more exploration in the future. My current faves are 'Little Lies', 'Landslide', 'Gypsy', the unusual 'Tusk', and the haunting 'Sara'.

Current top five:

The Eagles

Steely Dan

Fleetwood Mac

Joni Mitchell

Bruce Springsteen

If you had asked me this ten years ago I'd have added these as favourites

Jethro Tull

Genesis

Pink Floyd

Queen

Elton John :o

~~~

This way to happiness...

Freypower
07-04-2006, 06:53 PM
I love the Rumours album, but it took me a long time to buy it because I resented that it got all the critical attention which IMO should have been given to Hotel California. I still resent that it shows up in critics' 'best' lists when HC doesn't. When I bought it I also bought the self-titled album. I bought Bella Donna because of Leather And Lace. We also have her other albums except for the last one she released.

I mainly like Lindsey Buckingham's songs and some of Stevie's. I don't know why but I find Christine McVie's songs rather boring except for You Make Loving Fun. If I had to choose a top 10 of Mac songs it would be:

Go Your Own Way (by a very long distance. This is one of my favourite songs of all time. It rocks).

Rhiannon

Landslide (this is one of my 'Glenn' songs)

Never Going Back Again

Gold Dust Woman

The Chain

Second Hand News

Crystal

Dreams

Tusk

sodascouts
07-04-2006, 08:54 PM
BTW - a bit of trivia pointed out by one of my fellow Fleetwood Mac fans: Thirty years ago today - July 4, 1976 - the American bicentennial - Fleetwood Mac played Tampa Stadium with the Eagles. :)

~

Freypower
07-05-2006, 08:16 PM
Nancy, we're waiting for you to tell us your Top 10 Fleetwood Mac songs!

PinkCoatGirl
07-05-2006, 10:26 PM
I don't think I need to respond here... ;) LOL!

Oh gosh...I will give my own top 10 Mac songs some thought and try it out, but...seeing as they are my favorite band by far and away...the Eagles are second but nobody's gonna change my Mac love, haha...it could be really hard, considering I can't even pick a top 10 Eagles. :) I'm also a Lindsey First kinda girl, although I adore Stevie as well. I agree about Christine's songs, they're the ones that I most often skip, to be honest...I love them all, but if I'm in a mood, I need Lindsey's anger and Stevie's mysticalness, and Christine tends to be too upbeat! :)

Even before I became an Eagles fan, though...I became a Mac fan first... I didn't hold any animosity towards the Eagles or Henley or anyone. I figure, as I've said to Nancy before, if Stevie can remain such good friends after all this time with Don, why worry about it? And as for any competition goign on between FM and the Eagles back then, well, that was a long time ago. In fact, Don was my favorite Eagle for awhile and is still a very close second to Glenn. So clearly, no animosity here. ;)

-----

~*She'll always be...the girl from yesterday...*~

My friend and I: "Nice coat Glenn!"

Joe Walsh, at next pause between songs: "Hey, nice coat, Glenn."

Glenn: "Thanks, thanks...yah, I picked this up at the..Liberace garage sale, glad you like it..." ;)

sodascouts
07-06-2006, 12:37 AM
Yeah, Bree, I knew your answer to the above question a while ago!

My all time favorites are Gypsy and I'm So Afraid (Live, not studio). After that, in no particular order: Why, The Chain, Landslide, Never Going Back Again, Second Hand News, Sara, Angel, Fireflies, Silver Springs, Don't Stop, Songbird, Hold Me, and Little Lies.

Oops - how about top 15? lol

P.S. Crystal would have made it, but the Fleetwood Mac version loses out to the Buckingham Nicks version (Stevie and Lindsey's equivalent to Longbranch Pennywhistle, only MUCH MUCH better).

~

DonFan
09-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Nancy, have you ever seen Lindsay Buckingham solo? I am on the email list for concerts in Atlanta (since so many of the bands and solo artists I love seem to perform there lately, instead of coming here to Birmingham) and I just found out Lindsay is playing there in October. I missed seeing Fleetwood Mac live--and at this point, I don't know what my chances are of ever seeing them together--so I was just wondering what their individual shows are like. (Obviously I know about Stevie--I saw her last summer with Don and she was wonderful.)

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 08:18 PM
I have only seen a full Lindsey Buckingham show once - his Chicago soundstage in 2003 which was filmed for PBS. It was wonderful. He did it unplugged and it was a special experience I'll never forget.

Like Glenn, his last solo album was in 1992. However, next month, he is releasing a new one. He hasn't toured since 1992, and doesn't do private shows, so this tour beginning in October is a landmark for Buckingham fans. I have been a hard core Buckingham fan for years, so I'll be giving him the same attention as I gave Glenn, following him around the midwest to Ohio, Michigan, Chicago, and perhaps Milwaukee if my friends and I can get good seats.

When I saw him in Chicago, I was astounded and dismayed that he didn't play one song off of his 1992 masterpiece Out of the Cradle at the concert, and played a grand total of three solo songs off of previous solo albums. The rest of the time he did Mac tunes.... but he also did two unreleased songs, which thrilled us all to no end. One was a Rolling Stone cover "I Am Waiting" which appears on his new album. However, now that he has a new album, I imagine that will change and he will do more solo songs. (It's an interesting parallel to Glenn, who also played nothing off of his 1992 masterpiece Strange Weather at his latest solo shows, and did an unreleased cover which may appear on the Eagles' new album).

He's a virtuoso guitar player and I recommend seeing him!

~

DonFan
09-08-2006, 09:20 PM
I wish you were somewhere near me, because I would love to go see him with you. I had a feeling it would be a good show and I don't know if I can find anyone to go with me, as my sister in Atlanta is not much of a music fan. :(

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 09:35 PM
I hear ya Dana - I had to go see the James Gang alone and driving 13 hours all by myself wasn't much fun. I'm still glad I went though!

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Molly
09-08-2006, 10:19 PM
Nancy, Lindsey just played the Northern Lights Theater here in Milwaukee. (same theater the James Gang played.)

It would have been a wonderful venue to for you to see him in since it only seats 500. Not a bad (or far away) seat in the house!

sodascouts
09-08-2006, 11:47 PM
He did?! I didn't know about that! I was talking about this date: purchase.tickets.com/buy/...id=5823865 (http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase?organ_val=3823&pid=5823865)

Oh my gosh, I had no idea he had already done a show! And I call myself a hardcore! Glenn has been distracting me. lol

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

Molly
09-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Oops! This is what I get for not double checking before I post... Lindsey will be at our Pabst Theater on Oct. 17th, not the Northern Lights Theater. The Pabst has about 1000 seats-so twice as big -but still a wonderful venue.

I got excited when I went on the Pabst website. I thought Bob Seger was coming to town on December 1st. Then I realized it's Bob Saget. Not quite the same impact!

sodascouts
09-09-2006, 02:02 PM
lol! Not quite is right!

~

Brooke
09-22-2006, 10:28 PM
I know this thread is old, but thought I would add a few thoughts about FM.

Back in the day, they were right behind the Eagles as far as favorite bands. We actually named our daughter Lindsey Rhiannon (after him and Lindsay Waggoner (sp?)the bionic woman!).

We've never gotten to see them live, in concert, but last spring we saw them on Soundstage. It was great and I didn't really know that Lindsey was such an amazing guitarist.

I don't listen to them much anymore and I really can't put a finger on why because when I do hear them on the radio I love it.

My favorite songs are:

1. Dreams

2. Rhiannon

3. Gold Dust Woman

4. Go Your Own Way

5. Landslide

6. Sara

7. Silver Spring

~~~

The highway to freedom is when you start believin."

sodascouts
09-23-2006, 12:16 AM
Great choices, Brooke. It really is amazing how groups like the Eagles and Fleetwood Mac still find huge fan followings today.

~

Molly
09-23-2006, 09:42 AM
Lindsay Rhiannon, that's very pretty.

My son, Tom, went to school with a family with 3 girls: Rosanna, Roxanne and Rhiannon. Obviously, mom and dad are music fans!

Freypower
09-23-2006, 06:41 PM
Those are cool. I could always say that Rosalind wasn't named after a Shakespearean character but Billy Joel's Rosalinda's Eyes. 8)

sodascouts
09-23-2006, 06:56 PM
I can't think of a song with my name in it. However, there is one particular song that makes me wish my name were Linda. ;)

~

Ive always been a dreamer
09-24-2006, 12:17 AM
I can't think of a song with my name in it. However, there is one particular song that makes me wish my name were Linda. ;)

Same here Soda!

Actually, I meant to reply to this thread a long time ago, but I forgot about it. Fleetwood Mac was probably my second favorite band in the '70's for a lot of the same reasons I love the Eagles. They had three different members who could sing lead on songs, which gave them a lot of diversity in their songs. It's always hard for me to pick favorites songs, but I guess I would say my favorites in no particular order are :

Go Your Own Way
Don't Stop
Over My Head
Rhiannon
You Make Loving Fun
Sara
Hold Me
Gypsy
Dreams
Little Lies

~~~~~~

I'm just a hired hand working on the dreams I plan to try. The days go by...

DonFan
09-24-2006, 03:37 PM
I agree with all your choices, dreamer--those are my favorite FM songs as well.

As a huge Don fan, I can never listen to "Sara" without my mind completely wandering over to him.

The lines "I think I had met my match...he was singing... and undoing the laces," do me in every time!

DonFan
09-24-2006, 04:43 PM
WOW, Nancy! Those are both great!

I just think it is so damn romantic, the two of them writing about each other. (I'm sure Don has references to Stevie in some of his songs. Any ideas come to mind?)

I guess that is why Leather & Lace is so fabulous.

Can I hear those two songs somewhere? Are they posted here?

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 04:55 PM
Ooh, yes, that is a HOT line! Did I ever tell you there was another song where Stevie refers to Don (but not by name?) It's called "One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star." Don actually sent her flowers with that on the card!

Lyrics:

I told you last night - or did you tell me?
I think that it was me and I know that you heard it
I was crazy about you, that's how it always was
Do you think about me now as I sing about this love?

When it rains, it pours
When there's no one at the door
Yes, he did send me flowers
Well, that was a long time ago
Sounded good on a
Delicate white-ribbon card
"One more big time rock and roll star"
Just what I need

As you walk away, you know that I will call
If it's just to say goodnight, and that is all
Well, alright, that's a lie, she says she wanted you to stay
But you know much better than she
She's better off this way

When it rains, it pours
When there's no one at the door
Yes, he did send me flowers
Well, that was a long time ago
Sounded good on a
Delicate white-ribbon card
"One more big time rock and roll star"
Just what I need

Undercover music lover
Undercover music lover
Oh, undercover music lover and an art lover like me
There were candles, crystals, I was anyone's fantasy
Say I'm not 'cause the work just gets harder...

Oh, one more big time...
One more big time...
One more big time...
It sounded good on a delicate white-ribbon card...

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 05:04 PM
And finally, this is a demo of a song that was never recorded that it is speculated is about Don, because she said he "taught [her] how to spend money" and "have a great time," unlike the super-serious Lindsey. Theirs was a world of Lear jets and French champagne! It's called "What Has Rock'n'Roll Ever Done for You?"

She was a self-made woman, he's a self-made man
And these two could really understand each other

Baby, baby
Answer the question
If you could do it over again
Would you do it about your profession?

Well, what has rock and roll ever done for you?
You, too!
What has rock and roll ever done for me?
Everything!

Every day he says, "Answer the question...
Would you tell me just a little more about your profession?"
Would you do it again?
Yes, I would!
I had a really good time
Well, it was really good

So what has rock and roll ever done for you?
You, too!
He says, "What has rock and roll ever done for me?"
I said, "Everything!"

What has rock and roll ever done for us?
Well, well, well, another glass
Of something - French champagne!

Every day he says, "Answer the question...
Would you tell me just a little bit more about your profession?"

A really good time, baby
I had a really good time

Well, I'll meet you on the way back
Well, I'll get you on the plane back

I had a really good time
I had a really good time

Well, I'll get you on the way back
Baby, I'll get you on the plane back

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 05:05 PM
They're not posted here, Dana, but I can upload them. I'm a little hesitant to upload the demo, though. It's very rough and in the lyrics transcription I omitted the copious repetitions! (I'm sure if she had finalized it, it would have been better).

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 05:17 PM
About lyrics Don wrote with Stevie in mind.... since he co-wrote a lot, it's hard to pin down. To my knowledge, he's never said that he has written about Stevie. Some Stevie fans have speculated, though, that he might have thought a bit about Stevie when writing "Life in the Fast Lane" or even "Victim of Love." Though I have no proof, I have always wondered if she inspired at least in part "Not Enough Love in the World" or "Miss Ghost." Stevie has always had kind of a witchy thing going on. ;)

~

DonFan
09-24-2006, 06:10 PM
Stevie is very prolific, isn't she? Has she ever estimated how many songs she has written over the years?

I agree, "Not Enough Love in the World" could have references to her--it was written early in Don's solo career, perhaps not too long after they stopped seeing each other.

And "Miss Ghost"--love it! I definitely thought of her when I heard him sing it the first time.

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 06:20 PM
I don't think even she knows! I have over 70 songs she's never released, and there are hundreds of different demo versions of both those and released songs (I have over 500 of those). Prolific indeed at one time, although lately, she seems to have stopped writing. :( But I told her at the AHI 2005 meet'n'greet (the one where I also met Don): "Please never stop sharing your music with us."

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 06:25 PM
This reminds me, I once has a debate with a fellow Stevie fan over whether or not "Heart of the Matter" was about Stevie. I remember one of my first posts on Eagleland was about that!

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 06:27 PM
Here's the first one! One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/sn/MP3/BigTime.mp3)

Um... it's not exactly her best work, I must say.

~

Z
09-24-2006, 06:39 PM
Okay, I admit to not being a Fleetwood Mac fan (please don't throw things at me), so I have to ask the question:

If Don and Stevie were so hot and heavy for each other, what happened?

-------------

Cause I'm livin' on things that excite me,
Be they pastries or lobsters or love;
I'm just tryin' to get by being quiet and shy,
In a world full of pushin' and shove.

Brooke
09-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I'm shocked that Don was the one to let that all out about the baby and the abortion! Wonder what got into him?

And you wouldn't think that "Stevie fans" would hate Don if Stevie has never badmouthed him. http://www.ezboard.com/images/emoticons/ohwell.gif

~~~

The highway to freedom is when you start believin."

Freypower
09-24-2006, 07:47 PM
The above is interesting, but I have no comment as I don't know enough about the situation. I was rather shocked by the way Don talked about it in that GQ article.

In Edge Of Seventeen, the lines 'words of a poet and the voice of a choir and a melody...nothing else matters' make me think of the Eagles every time.

As for the line 'undoing laces' in Sara, I had never been able to hear that.

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 07:55 PM
Well, Stevie and Don's affair was passionate, but it was never really serious. It started in 1975 and lasted a couple years, off and on. They would have these rendevous where they would meet up, have sex, have fun and then each would go their separate ways. In the rare times when neither were touring, they would spend time together, but they never lived together or anything like that. Indeed Stevie had sex with Lindsey Buckingham in between her rendevous with Don. Songs like Sara and One More Big Time Rock'n'Roll Star imply that Stevie wanted more than that, but that Don wasn't on the same page. They remained friends and maybe hooked up a few more times, but that was it.

Their "fun" relationship did not seem to survive Stevie getting pregnant with Don's baby. She told him about it and it seems they mutually agreed she should abort, but Stevie has expressed regret about it since. Of course it's thanks to Don spilling the beans about it in the early 90s that we even know about the abortion at all! Stevie fans have always been angry about that, and about how he framed it: "I believe to the best of my knowledge [Stevie] became pregnant by me..." Um, she TOLD you it was yours Don! :: shakes head ::

Some Stevie fans believe that Don ended it BECAUSE Stevie got pregnant and left her to deal with it on her own, but she's never actually said that. Still, those who believe that hate Don, and point to his ambivalence about stating that the baby was his in the above interview as "evidence." They also use lyrics from Sara to back it up - she wanted Don to "finish his house" and "call her home" - a home for a baby - but he didn't want to "stay with her a while" so she wound up aborting the baby. (Stevie has said that Don often invited her to hook up in his house while it was still under construction and that's what inspired those lines - by the time he finished the house, it was over.) No proof of that abortion scenario, though.

Personally, I don't think Stevie wanted a baby at that point in her life regardless of whether or not Don "called her home." She was doing coke, flying around the world, partying constantly, and at the height of her success. She has even said that one of the considerations for her having the abortion was that having a baby would make it impossible for Fleetwood Mac to tour for Rumours. She has never blamed Don in any way or had anything but good things to say about him, to this day.

Don't you love the drama? I know Stevie fans love it. lol

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 08:02 PM
I was rather shocked by the way Don talked about it in that GQ article.

Well, even the words of the best of men aren't always well-thought out.

(BTW, if you're not aware of what we're referring to, L&M's site has the 1991 GQ article. The relevant part is this: Henley’s prodigious romantic escapades would include an affair with Stevie Nicks, who “I believe to the best of my knowledge became pregnant by me. And she named the [unborn] kid Sara, and she had an abortion”-and then wrote the song of the same name “to the spirit of the aborted baby. I was building my house at the time, and there’s a line in the song that says ‘And when you build your house, call me.’)

~

eaglesfans
09-24-2006, 08:31 PM
I'm pretty sure Not Enough Love in the World is about Lois Chiles and/or Maren Jensen.

Heart of the Matter is about Maren Jensen

At the risk of sounding negative, I don't think any of Don's songs are explictly about Stevie, except possibly Life in the Fastlane.

</p>

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 08:38 PM
And you wouldn't think that "Stevie fans" would hate Don if Stevie has never badmouthed him.

To be frank, I think that the Stevie fans who believe that just don't want to accept the fact that Stevie made the decision to abort because she felt it was in her best interest. They'd rather blame Don and make him the bad guy and Stevie the victim who was forced to abort because he left her.

Edited to add: I also want to say that there are alternative demo versions of Sara which belie the "bad Don" theory because they have additional lyrics like "And he reached out gently." Hardly condemning words.

~

sodascouts
09-24-2006, 09:07 PM
Yeah, I never thought HOTM was about Stevie. As for the rest - I guess we'll never know for sure, but it's fun to speculate.

~

Brooke
06-19-2007, 03:58 PM
I came across a FM Rumours dvd the other day. Do you know if it's a good one Soda? I couldn't tell from the description if it was more a documentary or does it have some complete concert songs on it?

sodascouts
06-19-2007, 07:42 PM
Is this the one you mean, Brooke?

Classic Albums - Fleetwood Mac: Rumours (http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Albums-Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours/dp/6305199337)

If so, that's a documentary about the making of Rumours. It has interviews with all the band members as well as the producers. I find it fascinating, but if you're looking for a concert, it's not for you. However, you do get to hear the songs played as well (some only partially). The highlight of the video for me is Christine McVie playing Songbird on the piano in a concert hall, recreating the way she first did it when she recorded the song for the album. Another highlight is that you get to hear the initial recording of Silver Springs back in 1976 when it was just a B-side. If you want to hear the entirety of the initial Silver Springs, you can purchase the Rumours DVD-Audio (http://www.amazon.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours-DVD-Audio/dp/B00005B5L4). That's well worth the money for audiophile fans of Fleetwood Mac.

Brooke
06-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Yes, that's it. Thank you Soda. I'm sure I'd like it, but I'd also like a 70's concert video if there is one available. FM was one of my favorites back then, so it would be fun to see the oldies. Any recommendations?

sodascouts
06-21-2007, 11:18 AM
Yes, that's it. Thank you Soda. I'm sure I'd like it, but I'd also like a 70's concert video if there is one available. FM was one of my favorites back then, so it would be fun to see the oldies. Any recommendations?

Sorry to take so long in replying, Brooke!

There are no commercially available 70s concerts, although I have some bootlegs which can be found on my Mac trade page here:
http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/trade/index.html under "Fleetwood Mac" and then "DVD" - I just realized the date for the Japan show is wrong, it's 1977.

I also have some Rumours Japan behind the scenes footage taken by Mick Fleetwood - hours of it - that basically shows them wandering around backstage chit-chatting. I haven't listed it because it's fun for the hardcore but not too many other people. A highlight is Lindsey whining: "I don't WANNA do interviews and sign autographs! I'm HUNGRY!" Christine basically puts him in his place and tells him how lucky he is that his job only requires him to play music for a couple hours a few nights a week for a few months a year, and to occasionally do this kind of PR. (Of course she omits the making of the music itself they had done the year before, which I found interesting. But then again she had to work less fuflilling jobs before joining the Mac, whereas Lindsey has never held a job besides that of musician. Stevie often complained that when they were poor pre-Mac, she had to do the odd jobs to support them while Lindsey insisted that he had to spend all his time working on their music in order for them to make it. lol) You also have Stevie putting on makeup and talking about how she wants to look like Greta Garbo, drunken interviews by Stevie and Christine... but as I said, it's hours of them just hanging out, with only a few songs. Lindsey also is shirtless some of the time.

Brooke
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
That Japan stuff sound interesting (Lindsey shirtless :shock: ), but I think I'll check out your page of bootlegs.

Thanks for the info! :D

janisjoplin
07-01-2007, 05:56 PM
it Personally, I don't think Stevie wanted a baby at that point in her life regardless of whether or not Don "called her home." She was doing coke, flying around the world, partying constantly, and at the height of her success. She has even said that one of the considerations for her having the abortion was that having a baby would make it impossible for Fleetwood Mac to tour for Rumours. She has never blamed Don in any way or had anything but good things to say about him, to this day.

Don't you love the drama? I know Stevie fans love it. lol

I remember writing something very similar (on another board many years ago) about the pregnancy and abortion saga - and I remember saying she wasn't in a good place to have a baby i.e. the vast quantities of coke etc being consumed and I nearly got cyber-bashed by Stevie fans - I couldn't believe it - Stevie is one of my all time heroines and I was just voicing an opinion :roll:

janisjoplin
07-01-2007, 06:02 PM
:blush: Forgot to add some of my fave FM/Stevie tracks......

Angel
The Chain
Don't Stop
Go Your Own Way
Temporary One
Leather and Lace (with Don Henley)
Stop Dragging My Heart Around (with Tom Petty)
Talk To Me

Loads of others

Have any of you got the 3 CD package called "Enchanted" came out in 1988 - some great photos of Stevie plus all the lyrics to the 41 songs featured. She also does a mean rendition of "It's Late" 8)

SweetHolly
07-01-2007, 10:47 PM
I'm really getting hooked on FM and Stevie.

The cds I have so far by FM are: Fleetwood Mac, Rumours, Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits, The Very Best of Fleetwood Mac, and Say You Will.

By Stevie, I have Bella Donna, Timespace, and Crystal Visions.

I also have Under the Skin by Lindsey.

I'm planning on buying Tusk next and eventually buying all their cds and solo cds.

janisjoplin
07-02-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm really envious of you, Holly, discovering all these wonderful CDs etc. I remember the thrill I used to get when a new album by someone I liked came out - I'd spend hours pouring over the liner notes and lyric sheets and if one was lucky - a poster :grooving:

SweetHolly
07-02-2007, 12:57 AM
I'm really envious of you, Holly, discovering all these wonderful CDs etc. I remember the thrill I used to get when a new album by someone I liked came out - I'd spend hours pouring over the liner notes and lyric sheets and if one was lucky - a poster :grooving:
I love finding out about the bands that I like. I love reading the liner notes whenever I buy cds. I always do it as soon as I open the cd. Most of the music I like is from the 60s and 70s, stuff my parents grew up listening too. :grooving: :D

janisjoplin
07-02-2007, 12:34 PM
I grew up listening to 60's and 70's music because I was there :rofl:

I think there was something special about the music back then as the musicians were creating sounds we'd never heard before and listening to music was a big deal...........no MTV, VH1 etc etc

Sunday afternoons was when they played the Top 20 singles and Thursdays at 7.30 pm there was Top of the Pops on TV - and that was about it unless you could tune in to a pirate radio station.

Saying that, some of the up to date music can't be poo poo'd - still some great musicians around amongst all those "wannabees" :grooving:

07-02-2007, 01:29 PM
I grew up listening to 60's and 70's music because I was there :rofl:

I think there was something special about the music back then as the musicians were creating sounds we'd never heard before and listening to music was a big deal...........no MTV, VH1 etc etc

This sounds like I wrote this, jj. I totally agree with you. I think the music that was created during this era is, overall, superior to what we have today. I'm not saying that there aren't talented artist out there now because there are, but I wonder how much staying power their songs have? I don't think much of the music of today will still be around 35 or 40 years from now, On the other hand, people will still be listening to The Beatles, The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, and some other bands from the 60's and 70's. I think part of the reason for this is because the lyrics and the music were the only means the artists back then had of conveying their message - no MTV, no videoes, no Internet. The result was often a more imaginative, creative piece of work. This is all of course, JMHO.

janisjoplin
07-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Oh I agree with you 100% Dreamer :thumbsup:

When I have my shower I always put the radio on and the songs from the 60's and 70's (and even 50's LOL) sound so different to today's songs.

A lot of them seemed simpler and easy on the ears and great to boogy to in the shower not to mention screeching along *cackle* :grooving:

I'm not dissing all of the current music scene - but some of it leaves a lot to be desired - gangsta rap, hip-hop and stuff like that doesn't really get me "there" IYKWIM :P

Brooke
07-02-2007, 04:31 PM
I'm not dissing all of the current music scene - but some of it leaves a lot to be desired - gangsta rap, hip-hop and stuff like that doesn't really get me "there" IYKWIM :P

Doesn't "get me" here, there or anywhere either, JJ! :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I love FM and Stevie, too, although I don't have much except old vinyls, which I can't play as I don't have a record player anymore. I think I'm gonna have to work on updating to some cds of theirs! :idea:

janisjoplin
07-03-2007, 03:46 AM
I love FM and Stevie, too, although I don't have much except old vinyls, which I can't play as I don't have a record player anymore. I think I'm gonna have to work on updating to some cds of theirs! :idea:

I've still got all my vinyl - we did have a turntable but sadly it got ill and died :weep:

I'm seriously contemplating putting my lp's on Ebay - my mum thinks I should let them go - and with not having any children to leave my worldly goods to I might just have a go.

First of all though, I'll have to get a digital camera and learn how to upload images - then there's the rigmarole of working out what price to start the bidding at and then work out postage and packing.

Gosh, I feel tired just thinking about it :yawn:

Mrs Frey
07-03-2007, 07:04 AM
I love finding out about the bands that I like. I love reading the liner notes whenever I buy cds. I always do it as soon as I open the cd. Most of the music I like is from the 60s and 70s, stuff my parents grew up listening too. :grooving: :D

Wow, SH, you're a lot like me in that regard :D. I love reading about my favourite solo artists and bands as well as watching and listening to them. I also love reading the liner notes of CDs, not to mention looking at the pictures (if there are any, I must add). My favourite music encompasses the mid '50s, '60s and '70s. My collection of Elvis :heart: and Beatles :heart: literature is quite impressive, if I have to say so myself... :wink: So far, I've only got one Eagles :heart: book, but I'm working on correcting that :D. It's just so difficult sourcing anything in South Africa. You won't believe how I've battled to source Glenn :heart: Frey's solo albums, although Eagles music has become available of late.

I agree with you totally, Dreamer - today's music does not compare to the music of yesteryear. I've always preferred retro. Today's music doesn't "do it" for me either, JJ and Brooke! :laugh: I got stick for it in school, being a '90s teenager, but I stuck to my guns. Elvis and the Beatles are cool again, now - well, I don't remember a time that they weren't cool... 8) (cue the Eagles singing: they're cool... :lol:)

I also still have my vinyl, although my record player has also died :(. A lot of it is not available on CD, which is frustrating.

Mrs Frey
07-03-2007, 07:14 AM
I thought I'd share this with all of you Fleetwood Mac fans: here in Cape Town, a tribute to them has been running at a theatre called "The Theatre @ The Pavilion", at the V&A Waterfront. I haven't had the pleasure of seeing it, but a review running in our local newspaper, The Cape Argus, was favourable. It's running until 7 July.

I don't know much about Fleetwood Mac, but a couple of songs I've heard of theirs sounds good to me. I used to perform "Don't Stop" in my previous band about three years ago. I also enjoy "Albatross", although I hardly ever hear it on the radio (or much else from the '50s, '60s and '70s, for that matter... :roll: ). It's a very beautiful instrumental, reminiscent of the Shadows.

JJ, you were saying that you enjoyed retro music because you were there, and that there wasn't VH1 and MTV at that time. Well, I must tell you, those of us South Africans who don't have what they call DSTV (Digital Satellite Television), and I'm one of them, STILL don't have VH1 and MTV! :lol: Mind you, after watching VH1 at a friend's house recently (and especially after thinking that VH1 was the "adult contemporary" station), I discovered that I'm not missing much! :roll:

sodascouts
07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
I bought vinyls without even having a record player, just to collect the photos and inserts. Then I started to feel ridiculous collecting LPs without a record player, so I bought one on Ebay. Unfortunately, it broke when it got jiggled a bit too hard. No wonder more people don't have them!

SweetHolly
07-03-2007, 07:50 PM

Wow, SH, you're a lot like me in that regard :D. I love reading about my favourite solo artists and bands as well as watching and listening to them. I also love reading the liner notes of CDs, not to mention looking at the pictures (if there are any, I must add). My favourite music encompasses the mid '50s, '60s and '70s. My collection of Elvis :heart: and Beatles :heart: literature is quite impressive, if I have to say so myself... :wink: So far, I've only got one Eagles :heart: book, but I'm working on correcting that :D. It's just so difficult sourcing anything in South Africa. You won't believe how I've battled to source Glenn :heart: Frey's solo albums, although Eagles music has become available of late.

I agree with you totally, Dreamer - today's music does not compare to the music of yesteryear. I've always preferred retro. Today's music doesn't "do it" for me either, JJ and Brooke! :laugh: I got stick for it in school, being a '90s teenager, but I stuck to my guns. Elvis and the Beatles are cool again, now - well, I don't remember a time that they weren't cool... 8) (cue the Eagles singing: they're cool... :lol:)

I also still have my vinyl, although my record player has also died :(. A lot of it is not available on CD, which is frustrating.
It was pretty hard for me to find all of Glenn's solo cds but I was so glad I did. I have quite a collection of Beatles cds and Elvis cds. I also have a few books about the Beatles. :D

janisjoplin
07-04-2007, 07:27 AM
JJ, you were saying that you enjoyed retro music because you were there, and that there wasn't VH1 and MTV at that time. Well, I must tell you, those of us South Africans who don't have what they call DSTV (Digital Satellite Television), and I'm one of them, STILL don't have VH1 and MTV! :lol: Mind you, after watching VH1 at a friend's house recently (and especially after thinking that VH1 was the "adult contemporary" station), I discovered that I'm not missing much! :roll:

VH1 isn't what it used to be unfortunately - I don't watch it anymore. Ages ago when I used to get up at around 3 in the morning I used to put VH1 Classic on - they tended to play the songs I liked :D

Unfortunately these days a lot of the songs are all about the video - I'm fed up of seeing scantily clad girls doing all that gyrating. It's too false. I prefer to watch someone who is into the music and just goes with it rather than too much choreography :headbang:

Mrs Frey
07-04-2007, 07:45 AM
VH1 isn't what it used to be unfortunately - I don't watch it anymore. Ages ago when I used to get up at around 3 in the morning I used to put VH1 Classic on - they tended to play the songs I liked :D

Unfortunately these days a lot of the songs are all about the video - I'm fed up of seeing scantily clad girls doing all that gyrating. It's too false. I prefer to watch someone who is into the music and just goes with it rather than too much choreography :headbang:

I couldn't agree with you more, JJ. I have no interest in scantily clad, gyrating girls. Give me an intense Elvis :heart: or Glenn :heart: on stage, performing their hearts out, and connecting sincerely with their fans ANYDAY in preference... :smitten:

SweetHolly
07-06-2007, 02:06 PM
I have no interest in scantily clad, gyrating girls. Give me an intense Elvis :heart: or Glenn :heart: on stage, performing their hearts out, and connecting sincerely with their fans ANYDAY in preference... :smitten:
Me too. 8)

sodascouts
12-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Fleetwood Mac is touring! They're using ILAA as well. But at least the ticket prices top out at $150.

Here's what they have so far:

Fleetwood Mac tour dates (http://www.pollstar.com/tour/searchall.pl?Content=A-FLEMAC&StartSearch.x=11&StartSearch.y=11&By=All&PSKey=Y)

March 01, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Mellon Arena

March 03, 2009
St. Paul, MN
Xcel Center

March 05, 2009
Chicago, IL
Allstate Arena

March 08, 2009
Auburn Hills, MI
Palace of Auburn Hills

March 10, 200
Washington, DC
Verizon Center

March 11, 2009
Boston, MA
TD Banknorth Garden

March 13, 2009
Uniondale, NY
Nassau Coliseum

March 14, 2009
Uncasville, CT
Mohegan Sun Arena

March 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Blue Cross Arena

March 17, 2009
Albany, NY
Times Union Center

March 19, 2009
New York, NY
Madison Square Garden

March 21, 2009
East Rutherford, NJ
IZOD Arena

March 23, 2009
Ottawa, ON
ScotiaBank Place

March 25, 2009
Montreal, QC
Bell Centre

March 26, 2009
Toronto, ON
Air Canada Center

DonFan
12-04-2008, 12:05 AM
Cool! I definitely want to see them. No dates down South yet, though.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Oh Crap -they are doing Chicago!!! Hey Nancy-what ya doing March 5th? :p

Mrs Henley
12-04-2008, 03:22 PM
WOW Cool! :) Have a lot of fun everyone who's going

sodascouts
12-06-2008, 04:02 PM
They're taking notes from the Eagles with the ILAA...

Each Fleetwood Mac 5 Star VIP package includes:

-A ticket in the first 10 rows*
-A 5 Star souvenir laminate
-Pre-show party, including dinner and drinks
-Exclusive Fleetwood Mac gift bag
-Hassle-free entrance to venue
-Crowd-free merchandise shopping
-Parking**
-Discount coupon to Fleetwood Mac online store

VIP Ticket Package Price: $ 795.00
(Prices in U.S. Dollars)

Each Fleetwood Mac 4 Star VIP package includes:

-A ticket in the first 20 rows*
-Exclusive Fleetwood Mac gift
-Discount coupon to the Fleetwood Mac online store

VIP Ticket Package Price: $ 375.00
(Prices in U.S. Dollars)

*Exact seat location available at show
**Where available
You will be required to sign a waiver and release of liability
Package details subject to change without notice.

sodascouts
12-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Additionally, looks like the Mac is set to put out ANOTHER Greatest Hits/Rumours Re-Release. Better than nothing, I guess.

From the press release:

"In conjunction with the tour, Fleetwood Mac's classic 1977 album, "Rumors," is set to be re-issued as part of a special CD/DVD boxed set on Reprise Record. Additions to the set will include previously unreleased tracks recorded during the making of "Rumors," as well as a DVD component with never-before-seen footage of the band."

ticky
12-06-2008, 05:23 PM
Cool!! THAT I can afford.. unless they decide not to SELL it here!! (just like they dont seem to be touring here... "they" meaning EVERYONE!!) bitter? lil bit.. *G*

12-07-2008, 01:03 AM
They're taking notes from the Eagles with the ILAA...

Each Fleetwood Mac 5 Star VIP package includes:

-A ticket in the first 10 rows*
-A 5 Star souvenir laminate
-Pre-show party, including dinner and drinks
-Exclusive Fleetwood Mac gift bag
-Hassle-free entrance to venue
-Crowd-free merchandise shopping
-Parking**
-Discount coupon to Fleetwood Mac online store

VIP Ticket Package Price: $ 795.00
(Prices in U.S. Dollars)

Each Fleetwood Mac 4 Star VIP package includes:

-A ticket in the first 20 rows*
-Exclusive Fleetwood Mac gift
-Discount coupon to the Fleetwood Mac online store

VIP Ticket Package Price: $ 375.00
(Prices in U.S. Dollars)

*Exact seat location available at show
**Where available
You will be required to sign a waiver and release of liability
Package details subject to change without notice.

Wow - that kinda has Irving written all over it, huh??? :D :D

sodascouts
12-07-2008, 03:28 AM
I'm not sure Fleetwood Mac fans will fork this amount of money over as readily as Eagles fans, who have had a while to get used to the idea of ILAA and its prices. I guess we'll see.

fred
12-07-2008, 07:26 AM
This was the greatest news for me,But still waiting when they come to Europe.
Hope that they doing a world tour.:thumbsup:

Brooke
12-07-2008, 04:38 PM
Great news! I'd love to see them, but I need a Missouri or downstate Illinois date.

Prettymaid
12-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Great news! I'd love to see them, but I need a Missouri or downstate Illinois date.

Me too Brooke!

SweetHolly
12-10-2008, 10:05 PM
I would love to see Fleetwood Mac. Of course, my mom might kick me out of the house. I'm really getting into the Beach Boys again and when I bought Pacific Ocean Blue by Dennis there was a picture of him with Christine McVie cause they were dating and I showed my mom that picture and she was like why did he get his picture taken with her.

sodascouts
12-11-2008, 08:59 PM
Stevie and Lindsey just did this interview on Entertainment Tonight. Don't they look amazing?? And I can't wait!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAsnUQ3i-_A

ticky
12-11-2008, 09:07 PM
Yeah they do look terrific. *G* Hope they add a tour leg over here!! I'll be in the nose bleeds, but I'd love to see them. I look forward to any new stuff they wanna do in the future, but I gotta say, I LOVE that this will be all the old stuff. *G* too cool!

TimothyBFan
12-12-2008, 09:27 AM
She is such a class act and so beautiful!

12-12-2008, 11:57 AM
Thanks for posting the ET segment, Soda. Stevie and Lindsey do look really great. I've never seen Fleetwood Mac live before, so I am definitely going to try to make it up to the D.C. show. I will probably wait and buy my ticket at the box office unless I can score a really good buy online.

Prettymaid
12-12-2008, 01:40 PM
They look terrific and of course so comfortable together! Hope I can catch a show!

sodascouts
12-14-2008, 02:15 AM
This bit about the Buckingham Nicks cover album shoot is a hoot! It's from the same sitting as the above interview (although better quality):

http://www.accesshollywood.com/stevie-nicks-and-lindsey-buckingham-ready-fleetwood-mac-tour_video_877781

TimothyBFan
12-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks Soda for that link. Funny how embarrassed she still seems by that shoot.

I was at yet another "family function" :ack: on Saturday and at one point the conversation changed to Fleetwood Mac touring again and coming to Chicago. Seems we have several Mac fans in the family and might be going. Don't know if I would be able to stand going with them or not. ;) We will see what becomes of that trip.

sodascouts
12-15-2008, 11:44 AM
I am undecided about Chicago since I'm going to Pittsburgh... I'll probably do it, lol.

My friend just told me that if you pay $200 extra over the 5 star package ($900 total) - you get to meet Mick Fleetwood.

Brooke
12-15-2008, 02:38 PM
They certainly don't mind charging big $$$ do they!

Like some other band I know!

Peekaboo
01-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I just saw that Fleetwood Mac is going to be at the BOK Center in Tulsa on May 3. If i can get the time off from work and get the money together in time i would really like to go to this concert.

DonFan
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
I just saw that Fleetwood Mac is going to be at the BOK Center in Tulsa on May 3. If i can get the time off from work and get the money together in time i would really like to go to this concert.

I want to see Fleetwood Mac too, Peek. I wish they would add Birmingham to their schedule, but so far their closest concert is Atlanta. They are schedueld to be there on April 28, and I'm considering buying tickets but that would mean an overnight trip and since that is a Tuesday, in the middle of the week, it interferes with everyone's jobs...so I'm holding out right now. I have seen Stevie solo twice, once with Don and once with Chris Isaak, but I have never seen the Mac. I bet they put on a fabulous show!

sodascouts
01-29-2009, 01:15 PM
I just heard Mick say in an interview they're going to do songs on this tour they've never done live before. I'm so excited!

My sister called me yesterday to tell me that Fleetwood Mac was coming to Florida, if I wanted to come down and visit. I felt bad that she seemed to think the only thing that would entice me to visit was if I could also go to a Mac concert! lol

DonFan
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM
My sister called me yesterday to tell me that Fleetwood Mac was coming to Florida, if I wanted to come down and visit. I felt bad that she seemed to think the only thing that would entice me to visit was if I could also go to a Mac concert! lol

I know what you mean. My sister says the only time I ever come to see her in Atlanta is when I want to see a concert, too!

Prettymaid
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
I just heard Mick say in an interview they're going to do songs on this tour they've never done live before. I'm so excited!

That sounds great! Time to speculate... what song(s) would you like to hear that they haven't done before?

sodascouts
01-30-2009, 01:21 AM
Good question!

Anything off of Buckingham Nicks

"Crystal" off of Fleetwood Mac's White Album

Also, I'd love to hear "Angel." Yes, they've done it before - in 1980! Too long ago to count. I wanna hear it!

TimothyBFan
03-01-2009, 12:38 PM
On our way home from the Thorogood concert last night, I heard from Nancy. She's in Pittsburgh and excited about tonight's opening show there. Cannot wait to hear about it!! I bet she will have a great story to tell!!!

sodascouts
03-01-2009, 01:24 PM
LOL! I was just coming in here to quickly post about this, Willie ! I'm SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!! I had to text a fellow Eagles/Fleetwood Mac fan last night to share my joy. ;)

TimothyBFan
03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Oops--sorry I stepped on your toes! I am just excited for you and been thinking about it myself!!

EagleLady
03-01-2009, 01:34 PM
How exciting for you Nancy! Hope you have a great time, and don't forget to tell us all about it

Brooke
03-01-2009, 11:06 PM
That is great Nancy! I know you will have a great time. Can't wait to 'hear' all about it.

I'm hoping to go see them in May if luck holds out.

Prettymaid
03-02-2009, 10:08 AM
Soda, your excitement is palpable! Can't wait to hear all about it!

TimothyBFan
03-03-2009, 11:49 AM
Soda, your excitement is palpable! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Ok, I have to do this... I just did!! How exciting!! She's on her way home right now, we were talking while she was on the road (I know, she was watching the road!!) so it won't be long. Other than freezing her booty off, sounds like she had a fabulous time. Can't wait to see it here also tho!

TimothyBFan
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
This just came up on my google alerts. Be sure and check out the slideshow photos. Look at this dress Stevie came out in. Soda was telling me how awesome she looked in this red dress with the red boots! Stevie is such a beautiful amazing woman!!

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/ae/music/s_614069.html

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/FleetwoodMacPittsburghMarch2009.jpg

And here's another one. This one has the setlist --look at the LAST song!!! Wow!!!

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09061/952639-388.stm

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/LindseyBuckinghamPittsburghMarch200.jpg
MIKE-what kind of guitar is this one? It looks so small.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/StevieNicksPittsburghMarch2009.jpg

Brooke
03-03-2009, 02:19 PM
Wow, those were both great reviews! And Stevie looks fantastic! Thanks TBF!

sodascouts
03-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Wow, what a show!

It was opening night in Pittsburgh, and my two friends and I had scored first row tickets. We were hoping Fleetwood Mac would let the first couple of rows stand at the stage like they had at the past, and we weren't disappointed!!! I SO wish the Eagles would do this. All the people in the front who want to stand and dance can go to the stage where they're not bothering anyone and have a terrific time rocking out.

My friends and I were planted at Stevie's feet. The stage was high and we had to crane our necks a bit to look up at her, but it was a prime spot not only to see her but to see Lindsey - he was always looking that way.

Stevie doesn't really interact with the audience, but Lindsey's practice is to play with all the girls at the stage. He doesn't single out anyone or just pay attention to pretty girls so it's not weird or icky or anything, lol, it's just fun! Several times he looked over at me and my friends while Stevie was singing and mouthed the lyrics at us, or pointed at us during a line of a song (again, he was doing this to all of the girls at various times, it's not as if he thought we were hot stuff. But it's so cool!)

He also tried to catch Stevie's eye and play with her, but I think they must have had a fight or something before, because she refused to meet his eyes almost the entire night. Even their signature "Moments" during Landslide and Silver Springs were absent. Still, they did have some special "moments" which I'll go into below.

The Mac travels lighter than the Eagles. They had three backup singers, a "helper" drummer for Mick, a keyboardist to play Christine's parts, and a "helper" guitarist to play along with Lindsey whenever a song called for it.

The band came out around 8:20 and played for about two and a half hours with no intermission. Lindsey was wearing a bright red-orange shirt that showed some chest (love that), black jeans, and a black jacket. Stevie came out in a magnificent dark red dress with matching high-heeled suede knee-high boots. There are photos above - thanks Willie! - and here's another:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Pittsburgh2009-03.jpg

The frizzy-haired person at Stevie's boot under the tambourine ribbons is me!

Stevie changed a few times during the night and the rest of her outfits were black, but it's so rare for Stevie to wear color that we were all blown away!

And here's Lindsey:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/3321926358_2ab811f50d_b.jpg

And a photo of the band:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Pittsburgh2009-04.jpg

I had deliberately avoided setlist spoilers so that I could be surprised, and while there were some predictable songs, they definitely did surprise me with some choices!

The show opened with Monday Morning, which they haven't performed in a while and which sounded great. Then, they went into The Chain and pounded that out. I love that song!

Dreams is their biggest hit, and it was third in the set. Stevie did well with it, singing the higher notes instead of backing away from them - yay!

At this point in the show, Lindsey talked about how they love touring without an album to promote - how relaxing it is to just enjoy themselves without worrying about new songs - and it kind of surprised me. He had always been critical in the past of people going out and doing "nostalgia" tours.... oh well. I don't care, I just want to see them, but one would think Lindsey would be a bit more hesitant to so openly contradict himself! At any rate, at least he didn't talk about "organic cycles" as he has been wont to do. lol. He did most of the talking for the evening, but even that wasn't so much; they didn't have much in the way of speaking and intros to songs.

I Know I'm Not Wrong is a lesser known Tusk song, but a lot of fun live. The next song, however, really got me screaming - Gypsy! It's my favorite song not only of Fleetwood Mac's, but of ALL TIME! Stevie sings low harmony on the song's bridge now, but I don't care, I just want to hear this wonderful song. My friend Tiffany and I squealed so loudly with delight that Stevie actually looked down at us - unheard of! lol During this was one of the few moments that Stevie and Lindsey interacted - they sang "I still see your bright eyes, bright eyes" at each other.

Like the Eagles, Fleetwood Mac had some screens where they flashed images. I couldn't really see them that well from my position, but I glanced up at one point and saw they were flashing the 1982 MTV video (http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=6960277&searchid=ea333c7f-72b9-47c7-94b9-df31efa44139) on them. That's one of the best videos ever made and I eagerly watched the segment were Lindsey kisses all over Stevie as they dance. Nice!

Stevie left the stage at this point, so I figured it was time for one of Lindsey's showpieces. He pulled out Go Insane, a solo song, but instead of doing it acoustically like he did for The Dance, he had a full band version closer to the album cut. It had special effects and everything (he loves those special effects lol). I prefer the acoustic version, but it was nice to see something different, so I was down with the full band version. At the end, Lindsey acted all weird, moving oddly in front of the drum kit and doing this hunched over pose. Guess he was trying to do an interpretive dance to demonstrate the theme of the song. ;) One thing that surprised me - Lindsey used a guitar pick! His trademark is playing without one. Oh well, it was just for one song.

And Willie - Lindsey plays a custom-made Turner Model 1 (http://www.renaissanceguitars.com/model-1-guitar-mahogany.php).

Stevie re-emerged for Rhiannon in black, with glorious flowing sleeves that gave her an ethereal appearance. I tried to find a photo of them from last night, but I couldn't, but she's wearing them in this promotional photo (http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/culture/2007/11/15/stevienicks.jpg) if you want to see what I mean. They'd been doing a slow intro for this song for the last couple of tours, but they skipped over that and went straight into the fast tempo. I liked that!

Second Hand News was next - lots of fun - and I noticed they had newspapers flipping across the screens. Not nearly as awesome as the ones for Dirty Laundry, and far less song-appropriate, but oh well! lol They did Tusk next, which used to come at the end of the set, so I got taken aback for a moment. It's not my favorite song, but the marching band cadence is fun to dance to.

Then I heard the beautiful opening notes to Sara and once again screamed in delight. Stevie sang it in a very somber, serious tone... and she added the additional lyrics... "Dreaming... and the wind became... crazy" towards the end. She and Lindsey sang "I think I had met my match" to each other, which was cool, even if she might have written that for Don. ;) She also walked over to Lindsey mic to sing the last part, kind of like she does in the 1979 Sara video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IVCtdQke-w). At the end of her vocal, she walked off the stage while the music continued without her. It was really affecting.

Lindsey went into Big Love with Stevie still offstage, doing that elaborate acoustic version similar to the arrangement he did for The Dance and other tours. When I watch this man play guitar I am just amazed. He is so awesome.

Then, Stevie came back out for Landslide no longer wearing the sleeves, but still in black. When I saw them in Columbus in 2003, they kissed each other afterwards on the lips, but no such interactions tonight. Stevie dedicated the song to her father (he passed away in 2005). At the end of the song, there was a flub as Lindsey waited too long to start playing again after the "Maybe...." That was funny. Afterward, they did exchange a poignant look - perhaps because of this song's history - and Lindsey blew her a kiss. It was nice, if not quite the same as before.

The next song was a REAL treat and surprise - Storms from Tusk! They had never played this live before - EVER. Not even in the seventies. It would be like the Eagles playing On the Border. It was wild! Mick came out and played drums in the front as Stevie delivered a beautiful vocal. Wow! Again, she seemed very emotional and into the song. At the end, in the best Stevie/Lindsey moment, she turned to him and sang "And not all the prayers in the world could save us." He harmonized with her acapella on it, his hand over his heart. Aw!

Another surprise - Say You Love Me! Stevie and Lindsey traded off verses, then harmonized on the third verse. It sounded great - Christine would be proud!

When Stevie came out in her gold shawl, I knew what was coming - Gold Dust Woman! It rocked, and she let out the longest howl towards the end that I've ever heard her do in years of shows! Wow!

When Lindsey pulled out Oh Well - a song from the Peter Green days of Fleetwood Mac and one he hadn't performed with them since 1980 - I was once again happily surprised. He changed up the opening riff a bit, but not too much - it is practically an iconic riff, after all! The screens were great for this one, flashing lights at the parts with the drum solos. And Mick really worked it. He drums like a wild man!

I'm So Afraid - my favorite Lindsey song! I knew this would be included - it's a staple - but it gets me every time. When he does that guitar solo for this song, I just listen in awe. Joe Walsh rocks and Felder's good too but Lindsey - he's in his own league!

Then Stevie pulled out Stand Back and the place ROCKED OUT. That song is irresistible! I was dancing my heart out! She was wearing a bright red shawl and looking fierce. They did an awesome false ending, a full stop, and then started it back up to play for another minute. Took everyone by surprise and we loved it!

There was a brief break and then Stevie re-emerged with the cutest black velvet top hat on, just like the old days! Then the notes started for Go Your Own Way and I got a bit bummed - like the Eagles' Heartache Tonight, it signals the end is near. Lindsey came down to the audience and let the people standing at the stage reach up and strum his guitar during the end of the song. I love that!

After a brief absence, they came back out for the encore starting with World Turning. Stevie took on Christine's vocal and Mick did an extended drum solo, but it was good and not self-indulgent like on the Say You Will tour where Mick would do his solo for twenty minutes (no exaggeration) and use a ridiculous sound effect vest. Oh man, that was bad. I was so happy to hear Mick doing NORMAL but awesome drumming instead! His "ARE YA WITH ME???" as he drummed reminded me of Life in the Fast Lane, though. lol But I was not to be entirely pleased, as Lindsey decided to incorporate electronic vocal manipulations into the drum solo. I know to blame Lindsey for this because he did it during his solo shows. Yuck! Give me the music and not the gimmicks, please! It was the only thing I didn't like about the show.

After a rollicking version of Don't Stop, I knew the concert was pretty much over, but that they'd probably play one more song - a slow one - to close. I thought it would probably be Goodbye Baby, especially since they hadn't played any songs from Say You Will yet. I thought, "Man, it's ending, and no Silver Springs!" and once again got a bit bummed.

Silver Springs is special to me. I remember when they dropped it in 2004 - I was at its last performance in Atlanta, and I couldn't believe they'd drop a song that meant so much to so many people. In my case and in the case of many others, it got us into Fleetwood Mac. Then, suddenly, I heard those opening notes and along with thousands of other people, I screamed with delighted recognition. They'd brought it back! They were closing with Silver Springs! However, instead of railing on Lindsey at the end like she's always done before, Stevie just stared straight out at the audience. I thought that was odd, but who cares? I got to hear the song!

At the end, they all stood together arm in arm and bowed. Lindsey kissed the side of Stevie's head through her hair, and she squeezed his hand that was resting on her shoulder. It was the most she gave him all night, lol.

The concert was wonderful, but the night ended on a bit of a sour note as my friends insisted on waiting out by the venue exit to wave to the band as they got into their cars. Normally, I would be fine with this, but it was FREEZING COLD!!! The kind of cold where it hurts to stand out in it. I said, "Look, it's too cold, they're going to run to their cars and not even look up." "We don't care!" They cried. "We just want to holler thank you!" I could tell they secretly believed Stevie and Lindsey would wave to them, though. I resigned myself to the wait. But when it was 30 minutes and still no Stevie and Lindsey, I once again had to say something - and was one again shot down. As the hour mark approached, I was considering just going to the car (parked on the other side of the venue) and waiting for my friends in there when Lindsey came out. He ran to his car and didn't look up. I bit my tongue from saying "I told you so" and we all went back to the car to attempt to regain feeling in our extremities.

Whew! Well, that's it folks! What a great time, despite the end bit. I recommend that anyone who enjoys Fleetwood Mac go!

EagleLady
03-03-2009, 09:25 PM
Glad to hear you had a good time Nancy :yay:

sodascouts
03-03-2009, 09:31 PM
Found some videos - not very close and not complete songs, but you get an idea:

http://www.youtube.com/user/stuckinamoment9

And here's the full song (low quality) of Don't Stop

Brooke
03-03-2009, 11:26 PM
Fantastic review Soda. And front row-you rock! It sounds like you had a wonderful night, aside from the waiting in the cold.

I hope I get to see them in May in Kansas City, but I'll have to wait till the last minute to decide.

Koala
03-04-2009, 03:12 AM
Nice to hear you had a good time!
The photos and the review are excellent.

Prettymaid
03-04-2009, 08:43 AM
Good review Soda. I would love to hear Monday Morning live! I can still remember buying my first Fleetwood Mac album and that being the first song I hear. It starts so abruptly - I love that!

I can appreciate that you made a point to post that Stevie sang the higher notes on Dreams - I remember talking about that with you when we met. Sometimes it feels like she's just not making the effort to 'go there', and I'm glad to hear she did.

That Gypsy video sure brought back some memories - it got a lot of play on MTV back in the day!

Gold Dust Woman is my favorite live song. I just love it!

Silver Springs - OMG - I love that song! In fact, I have been known to karaoke to it on numerous occasions, dreaming I'm Stevie, of course!

Now I really want to see this show!

TimothyBFan
03-04-2009, 09:49 AM
How awesome this must have been. Love the way you review, adding little clips etc, thank you so much for that. It gave me chills! I really want to go to the one in Chicago (and Lord knows, I am getting pressure from my whole fam damily) but I just won't do it if I am going to Indy for you know who!

sodascouts
03-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Glad you enjoyed the review, guys! Some photos of Stevie from their show in Minnesota last night:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/SNicksMinnesota2009-01.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/SNicksMinnesota2009-02.jpg

EagleLady
03-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Wow, She still looks great!

Peekaboo
03-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Wow Soda!! I'm so glad you had a great time, with the exception of freezing your tushy off afterward. That's great that you were first row. After reading your review, I'm seriously thinking about seeing them when they come to Oklahoma. They'll be in Tulsa on May 3 at the same arena that the Eagles opened up in Sept.

Sidenote: I've got my ipod on shuffle and Dreams just came on. I think it's meant to be. I need to go that concert.

eaglesvet
03-05-2009, 03:25 AM
Hmmm, now I'm thinking a bit harder about going, too. Dangerous things, these fan reviews! I'll have to check out what's left at the Meadowlands...

Brooke
03-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I know what you mean, ev. I just watched the videos and also got sidetracked watching some of the old ones that came up. Now I really want to go. Bad. I need to be at the KC or St. Louis show somehow, someway.

We missed out on all the mtv videos in the early days and it was great watching some of those. Living in the sticks, although I love it and would NEVER move to the city, had it's downfalls. We didn't even have the opportunity to have cable. Never mind that the folks probably couldn't have afforded it anyway. We missed everything associated with rock music unless we just accidently caught it on the radio. "Violin playing"

Soda, at the end of Silver Springs Stevie went up to the edge of the stage and it looked like someone handed her flowers. Was that you or one of your friends?

03-05-2009, 05:41 PM
Awesome review, Nanc. I knew you would have a blast from your FRONT ROW seat. And you are right that it would be wonderful if the Eagles would allow fans to come up front to the stage near the end of the show.

I would love to see Fleetwood Mac. They are looking and sounding great. They will be at the Verizon Center in D.C. on 3/10 but I don't think I'm going to be able to go. I'm going to have to 'behave' until I get a job. Now, of course, that doesn't count if any of our guys come anywhere near my back door again. :lol:

DonFan
03-05-2009, 09:40 PM
Front row? Wow, Nancy! I'm glad you had such a terrific time!

AzEaglesFan
03-06-2009, 01:40 AM
The Biography Channel had a hour long show on Fleetwood Mac tonight. I didn't know there had been so many changes in members of Fleetwood Mac. I think they said about 11 different people had been a part of that group. After that show was over a show with Chris Isaak was on and his guest was Stevie Nicks. She sang on the show and they also showed her singing on a DVD she has out. I know here the Chris Isaak Show will be repeated next Thurs and Stevie will be on it .

sodascouts
03-06-2009, 02:14 AM
I heard about this, and I don't have the Biography channel, so I wasn't able to see it. I envy you!

Edited to add - found a clip!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h93pGqpq5jo

Brooke
03-06-2009, 11:00 AM
:laugh: Dreamer, do you call that 'selective behavior'?

03-06-2009, 11:34 AM
Busted! :wink: :wink:

DonFan
03-07-2009, 02:06 PM
I just watched the Stevie-Chris clip and it was great-thanks! I don't get the Biography channel either, so if you find the rest of that show online, I would love to see it.

sodascouts
03-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Check out this interview - it looks like we actually might get a new Fleetwood Mac album!

Boston Herald (http://www.bostonherald.com/entertainment/music/general/view.bg?&articleid=1156481&format=&page=1&listingType=musi#articleFull):

Fleetwood Mac’s saga is like a “Friends” story arc. Couples break up, things get interesting, couples make up, things get less interesting, then the cycle repeats itself.

This makes Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks rock ’n’ roll’s Ross and Rachel (only sub out annoying drama at Central Perk, sub in genius song-writing and cocaine). And though the romance between the two may be long over, Buckingham and Nicks aren’t done with each other yet.

With the Mac back (minus the retired Christine McVie) at TD Banknorth Garden on Wednesday, Buckingham phoned the Herald to talk about the band’s first tour in half a decade and when we can expect a new album. Then Nicks called with her own take on the saga’s next chapter and to remind us that, even in their AARP years, the two’s tempestuous relationship isn’t about to end.

Lindsey Buckingham

Herald Without a new album to promote are you going to dig into your back catalog for older, more obscure stuff to play in concert?

Buckingham: It’s a funny thing because you get into that area and it really underscores part of what makes Fleetwood Mac such a good band. There’s such a disparate range of sensibilities. What one person considers to be a worthy, obscure gem is not what another feels is right. When you include all of the songs that have been radio songs for us it defines about 80 percent of our set. The extra 20 percent is up for grabs.

Have you had a big hand in putting together the deluxe reissue of “Rumours” that’s due in May?

Not really. I’m not a huge fan of those repackagings anyway. But in light of the fact that there is no new album, it makes sense to have something out there to help the marketing of the tour. Certainly there are some curiosities on there, but I haven’t had much to do with it. I did put the kibosh on a few things that I didn’t think should make the cut. So I’ve had an editorial hand in it, but that’s it.

You’ve done two solo albums in three years, which seems like a furious pace for you. Are still writing like a madman?

Kind of, yeah. When we got off the road in 2004, I told the band, ‘Don’t bother me for about three years.’ And they didn’t, which was great. It allowed me to step up the writing frequency and get out and tour. But we had committed to do a tour months ago, so I had to cut my own tour short. The finer points aside, it was very satisfying to get to spend a few years doing my own thing. It has stepped up my creativity and put me on a whole new wavelength.

Do you recognize when you write a song if it will be for Fleetwood Mac or for a solo album?

Not really. There are certain things I write that are esoteric or idiosyncratic that I know will go on a solo record. But in general, if you look at the lion’s share of “Gift of Screws” (Buckingham’s 2008 solo album), much of that would work as Fleetwood Mac. It also comes down to the band. If they go “eh,” then it becomes a solo piece. (Laughs.)

How far along are you in planning a new Fleetwood Mac album?

We aren’t far along in any specific sense. My mantra is to work on my dynamic with Stevie. She was a little uncomfortable when we got on the road last time, for whatever reason. Part of it was that she missed Christine, part of it was that I was getting 50 percent of the face time onstage and she wasn’t used to having a guy get all that space. I think it threw her context out a little. So this time around I am very much wanting to make everyone as comfortable as possible and have that be the most important thing. But we have discussed, when this tour is done, going into the studio. The only specific we know is that we are leaning toward finding an outside producer. I think it would help to have an overviewer. It was pretty hard taking the reins last time. Not so much with the music but with the band politics.

Have any producers in mind?

We had a short a list, but I have no idea. We’ve talked about everyone form Daniel Lanois to Dave Stewart to Rick Rubin. That pretty much runs the gamut of approaches. We have to meet with a few people and see how it feels.

Looking back, does it seem like everything great that you’ve done as a band has come out of turmoil?

That’s absolutely true. Obviously “Rumours” was the personal turmoil and then “Tusk” was the artistic turmoil. Then a lot of stuff after that was dealing with levels of disillusionment, at least for me. Or it was about dealing with lifestyles that were getting out of hand on some level.

Stevie Nicks

Herald You’ve been busy on the road for the last three summers. When did you have time to plan this Fleetwood Mac tour?

Nicks: The last three summers on solo tours and two years ago a tour with Tom Petty. I went out for seven shows and I stayed for 27. Tom asked me to stay and I said, “There’s no way I’m not going.” My manager said, “OK, but this is your vacation. Tom Petty is your vacation.”

So when did the Fleetwood Mac reunion come together?

We had a meeting between two and three years ago to talk. Lindsey had really been working hard on his solo work and decided he was going to get those one or two or three CDs done and tour behind them. He ended up using up a lot of his songs for “Say You Will” and that really didn’t fulfill his need to be a solo artist and, well, that album wasn’t the best experience for any of us. Lindsey made a decision to take a couple of years off and work on his solo stuff so he could enjoy Fleetwood Mac again. We all said, “Go ahead, have fun, rock on!”

I asked Lindsey if there was another rarity like “Silver Spring” waiting to be dug out and done live and he wasn’t sure. What do you think?

I suggested that we do “Storms” (from “Tusk”) on this tour. We have never done it onstage. The last tour we pulled “Beautiful Child” out and we’d never done that before and it went great. But what we do always comes down to is what sounds good. We’re just thrilled to play our body of work that we’ve worked so hard on over the last 30 years. We really shy away from the “Greatest Hits Tour” label because we think it sounds cheesy. It’s not just the greatest hits, it’s the familiar songs that everyone loves.

And you’re ready to jump into the studio as soon as this tour is over?

I would very much like to do that. I think the world should have one more kickass Fleetwood Mac record. This tour could go on for 135 shows, but when we come off the road we will be a finely tuned, well-rehearsed band, which is the best thing to be when you go into the studio because you’re already hot. Your chops are up, you’re singing great, you’ve been playing fantastic music for a year. And writing on the road is really fun. Not to mention that we already both have enough songs to do a record now. But it all depends on if we’re having fun and enjoying each other.

In the past it seemed you recorded or toured because you had to, it was your career. Now it seems like you don’t have to, you want to.

That’s right. Lindsey has children. He didn’t have children 10 years ago. Mick (Fleetwood) has 6-year-old twins. John (McVie) has a daughter in college and so he and I are the only freewheeling ones. At this point in our lives, especially for Lindsey and Mick, if they’re not having a good time, they need to go home and raise their kids and make music in their home studios.

What do you think of the “Rumours” reissue?

It’s pretty awesome. It’s the songs before they came to fruition, almost like the five of us sitting in your living room playing for you. Listening to it, I could rise up above my body and go back there and remember what an amazing group of people we were in those years. As I was listening to it, I thought, “This could so be now. This sounds like a brand-new band just coming out.”

It’s that fresh?

It is so amazingly fresh. But Lindsey and I joke that we could never get a record deal in L.A. today with this sound. People wouldn’t know if we were folk or country or rockabilly. Well, they said the same thing when I moved to L.A. in 1971. But when you hear this band, this really young band, and you hear Christine’s amazing keyboards and John and Mick, the bassist and drummer of life, and then stick that under Lindsey Buckingham who can do anything on the guitar, it’s spectacular.

So much of your great stuff came out of the band being a mess. If you are all on great terms will it be harder to make a great album?

No. Lindsey and I and our tragic, uptight way of doing things to each other is still the same in so many ways. In many, many ways, Lindsey and I are still the same people that we were when we met at 16 and 17. There’s a part of our relationship that remains unchanged. It doesn’t matter that he’s married with kids. It doesn’t matter what my life is. When we’re together we can still be incredibly teenage. And we still write about each other a lot. We’re still great sources of inspiration for each other. When we’re 90, whoever goes first, the other one will be sitting on a bed alone. We’ll never run out of stuff to write about.

Brooke
03-09-2009, 01:49 PM
Unbelievable! I hope it gets done!

Maleah
04-04-2009, 12:18 AM
Kind of but not really related.....lol.....Soda have you seen Carrie Underwood and David Cook's cover of "Go Your Own Way?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdaFbLJaqaw

I thought they did great! Although David can't seem to figure out which hand he wants to hold the mic in. lol

sodascouts
04-04-2009, 12:50 AM
Love it! Making it a duet between a guy and a girl adds an interesting dynamic.

DonFan
04-04-2009, 08:33 AM
I loved it too! David Cook is one of my favorite singers.

Maleah
04-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Another favorite singer we have in common DF! ;) :thumbsup:

Brooke
04-04-2009, 06:25 PM
That was great! They were really good.

Why is it some can get away with covers and some can't?

carol7lynn
04-05-2009, 01:20 PM
Sounds as if you guys had a super-sized MacTime! Glad to hear you got front row. I know DavidMan got one at the last minute and that is what I am hoping for for L.A.

That red dress is bee-you-tah-full to say the least!:thumbsup: And, props to Stevie for giving Lindsey the 10th Avenue FreezeOut! Sounds like it kept him off-balance from what you reported. I plan on camping out in front of Lindsey so I can play his guitar-again :nahnah: even though Stevie is my fav-Mac.:angel: I just love her clothes, her music, and her style! Too bad these hoochie-momma-wannabes today show more clevage :fear:than talent. Ugh! Seems like most of them are more intent on showing their vocal range more than their love of the song.

Catch US magazine this week. Two page picture spread of the 80s-90s Stevie's fashion faux pauxs.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGalNow:partytime:

Brooke
04-10-2009, 10:42 AM
Get this:

Fleetwood Mac
Unleashed 2009 Tour - The Hits

http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/ltr/i_safe.gif

Tuesday, May 5
Scottrade Center-St.Louis

Lower Level Tickets for just $49.50*

Offer ends Monday, May 4
Use Password: TUSK

I checked the tickets. Not bad at all for that price! :shock:

Prettymaid
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Get this:

Fleetwood Mac
Unleashed 2009 Tour - The Hits

http://gfx2.hotmail.com/mail/w3/ltr/i_safe.gif

Tuesday, May 5
Scottrade Center-St.Louis

Lower Level Tickets for just $49.50*

Offer ends Monday, May 4
Use Password: TUSK

I checked the tickets. Not bad at all for that price! :shock:

Hmmmmm....

AzEaglesFan
05-25-2009, 07:22 PM
Fleetwood Mac played in Phoenix last night and no I didn't get to go. Since Stevie's Mother lives in Arizona, the Phx paper had a big article about the concert. What I thought was interesting was that in several places they are quoted as saying that they wanted Sheryl Crow to tour with them in Christine McVie's place. I had never heard that before . Sheryl turned them down because she has adopted her little boy and didn't want to leave him.

carol7lynn
06-03-2009, 12:52 PM
Well I ended up getting primo ticket drops for two of the Mac's three SoCal shows and made it to the stage both nights.:hilarious:

I didn't get my Anaheim 3rd row ticket until 4:30 P.M. the day of. :brickwall: That was a real nail biter. I got San Diego ten days before the show.

Anyway, security was very lax at the Honda Center and we were able to line up in front of the stage 20 minutes before the concert started. I stood in front of Stevie that night because my concert buddies adore her. I'd have rather been in front of Lindsey but I knew I could do that in San Diego the followig week as I had a second row seat right in front of him for that show. Long story short I had a super time in Anaheim and got to tap Lindsey's booted foot and he blew me a kiss for my efforts. But except for a few eye locks that was it. He was too far away most of the night. WhooHoo Any Who How!

San Diego though was another story. Security was uber strict and only let fans in the first row line up at the stage before the concert started. I tried believe me to get a spot in front of Lindsey but no go. :worried: Anyway, as soon as the lights went down I climbed over the seat in front of me and made my way to the stage.:thumbsup: For some odd reason the couple right in front of me left :angel:and I was able to move into their spot at the stage directly in front of Lindsey which I never left for the rest of the night.

Lindsey spent most of the night looking right into my eyes. At first, I thought I might be imaging what was going on between us but some guy in back of me set me straight and told me that Lindsey was literally eye f$%#ing me. He and his group started high fiving me, putting their arms around me, playing with my hair, kissing me on the cheek and even telling me how hot I was etc hoping, I guess to get a little attention by association which was fine by me.:grouphug:

After GYOW Lindsey came over and grabbed my fingers with his and we engaged in a game of tug of war. It lasted maybe twenty seconds but it seemed like forever. I finally let go because the people in back of me got into the mix and reached over me and grabbed onto his out streatched right arm and started pulling him toward the edge of the stage. He didn't seem to mind but I was afraid they were going to pull him off the stage and we'd get thrown out. Glad I did because we got two encores in San Diego and I would have probably had to listen to them from the parking lot.

What a night. My experience in San Diego ranked right up there with getting a kiss from Joe Walsh in Newark. :nahnah: and a hug from Jackson Browne in Santa Monica.:partytime: What's next? I don't have a clue. I'm going to a ton of concerts this summer so stay tuned. :thumbsup:

Carol Lynn
SoCalGal

Brooke
06-03-2009, 03:09 PM
Wow! Wonderful CL! Did you manage to get any pics? I so wanted to go see them when they were here in Missouri, but it just didn't work out. :sad:

AZ, I had heard that about Sheryl. Wouldn't that have been cool if she would have joined them?!

carol7lynn
06-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Brooke,

Didn't take my camera to either show. There are a lot of videos from Anaheim on YouTube and one from San Diego. The Ledge, a good FWM chat board, has a lot of pixs if your interested of both shows.

I'm hoping they'll do another North Am leg before heading off to Europe in Oct. like they did for their SYW tour. Keep your fingers crossed and hopefully you can make one of those shows. I had a rockin' good time.:nahnah:

Carol Lynn
SoCalGal:partytime:

sodascouts
06-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Sounds like a good time CL! Glad you had fun! That Lindsey is such a flirt. ;)

carol7lynn
06-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Sounds like a good time CL! Glad you had fun! That Lindsey is such a flirt. ;)

He can flirt with me anytime! I'm still walking on sunshine! :nahnah:

The funny thing is, when he's doing a solo tour, he keeps his eyes closed most of the time and only sneaks peeks every now and then. But, when he's with the Mac he's eyes wide open. I'm wondering if he flirts or even grandstands (You know the chest pounding, bowing, hand slapping, etc)just to piss Stevie off. I'm sure he's still nursing some old wounds. After all, Stevie has observed in many interviews that it was the intense competition between the two of them that literally drove them apart. He may flirt just to annoy her and/or to prove to her the MAC fans like him as much, if not more than her. In any event, I'll be the object of his attention any day. I had a blast.:thumbsup:

Carol Lynn
SoCalGal:partytime:

sodascouts
06-21-2009, 08:01 PM
My friend Kristin and I got back from the Fleetwood Mac show in New Orleans at 4:00 this morning central time. Exhausting but TOTALLY worth it!

It was a terrific show - the last of the American leg. The house was packed and the crowd was really energetic - they gave several standing ovations. Kristin and I had third row seats but security was letting up the first few rows to the stage, where we could dance with abandon and the band could soak up our unbridled enthusiasm as they played. Oh, how I wish the Eagles would allow this.

We stood to the left of Stevie Nicks, right in Lindsey Buckingham's line of sight but sadly a bit too close to the speaker for comfort. However, the best spots were already taken! Lindsey played with the crowd at his feet as he always does, pointing and smiling at pretty much every girl in sight be they gorgeous or plain. I love that about him! What was also very cool was that Stevie, who usually keeps her eyes above heads, was looking around and making more "crowd contact" than she has at shows I've been to in the past. They seem to have a soft spot in their heart for New Orleans. Obviously, the city has been through a great deal - and they hadn't played here since the Tango in the Night tour of 1987. Lindsey wasn't in the band then, and hasn't played there with Fleetwood Mac since the Rumours tour of 1977! Lindsey and Stevie were much more interactive than the last show I went to - Pittsburgh, the opener - and there was a lot of emotion in the air.

Unfortunately, there was no Silver Springs, but that was more than made up for by the fact that Stevie sang a snippet of an unreleased song she wrote in honor of New Orleans. More on that later!

Monday Morning
They started about 20 minutes late, and by the time they came out, we were more than ready. Stevie and Lindsey came out holding hands. Stevie was in her lovely corseted black dress; Lindsey was in his red shirt, black jacket, and dark jeans as usual. Given that it was terribly hot in there, they must have been dying! I know we were, packed at the stage so tight that I could feel the lady in front of me breathe! Now, to the song. They sang it with spirit and I could tell it was going to be a great night right away! Lindsey immediately started making eye contact with people in the crowd, pointing, etc. I waved at him and he squinted in our direction, probably thinking, "Do I know them? Nah." lol. But it was still cool. Those moments when they look at you are so special, as those who have gotten a smile from an Eagle know very well!

The Chain
Lindsey intro'ed it with his a speech about the band getting together and having fun because there was no album promote - "YET." (Crossing fingers he means it). Then he hollered, "And we hope you have fun too!" to great cheers. The song was done well, and we all gave a big cheer for John McVie as he did that bass solo. Because his sleeves were short, we could see his cool penguin tattoo very well! (Fleetwood Mac released a "Penguin" album in the 60s and it's the band's mascot.)

Dreams
Great rendition. Stevie's voice sounded wonderful on Dreams and was consistent throughout the night.

I Know I'm Not Wrong
I always forget how well this song plays live until I'm in the midst of a crowd hollering "I know I'm not wrong!!!!" with the chorus. Great fun!

Gypsy
My favorite song, and the first "Stevie/Lindsey moment" that I saw. This is also where I saw Stevie's extremely cool black fingerless gloves with fringe. Anyway, she intro'ed the song by telling a story about the days pre-fame, that was longer and more detailed than prior intro's of this song I have heard. I'm going to try to quote her as closely as possible, although obviously I may get some words wrong. She said: "My parents transferred to San Francisco when I was a senior in high school. I met Lindsey Buckingham for one day - I was a senior, and he was a junior. We met for one day and then I didn't hear a thing from him for two years. Then, I got a phone call asking me to join the band that he'd formed - or that he was a part of - I don't know what he was doing those two years, I wasn't there! Anyway, they asked me to join their band. I asked, 'What kind of band is it?' 'Cause you know, it could have been any kind of band. 'What kind of band is it?' They said, 'A hard core rock'n'roll band.' I said 'Hold on a minute'" - then Stevie acts like she's holding the phone away from her and doing a dance of joy, then putting the phone back to her ear and saying calmly - "'Yeah, I could do that.' So, I went over to Lindsey's house to practice. We practiced four days a week and played two days a week. And we were part of what I consider the greatest musical scene ever - the San Francisco music scene from 1965-1970. We opened for Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Santana - we opened for Santana two days before their big album came out, and we had lunch with them the next day. It was a special, magical time. You would understand that in New Orleans because this is a magical, musical city. So, then, a few years later, I wanted to write a little song to take me back to those special times, back to our house in those days, with the paper and lace and Lindsey's and my bed on the floor. So, this is the song about that time." As she closed it up, she looked over at Lindsey, who was standing at his mic smiling nostalgically. It was a very sweet moment. The song itself was absolutely wonderful. She did some spins during it which was very cute.

Go Insane
After Gypsy, Stevie walked off and Lindsey took over. I love the fact that they have included this Lindsey solo song and it rocked. For the first time, I finally understood the words on the echo at the end: "Lovin' you, so insane." I should probably change that on BuckinghamNicks.net (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net) when I get a chance, as I put on there that I didn't know what he said.

Rhiannon
And then it was time for Stevie to make her entrance in her beautiful Rhiannon outfit, with the flowing sleeves and low-cut top. She looks so amazing. She stayed low at the end, but her voice was very sexy and throaty, so it made it very hot!

Second Hand News
Lindsey into'ed this by saying that it was the first song recorded for Rumours - "if I recall correctly; sometimes I don't - my memory has some holes in it" - and that Rumours was a time filled with a lot of turmoil, but also a lot of laughs and love as well. He said he thought that all of that genuine emotion was what made it hold up today. Then, that great riff started the song and the crowd was rockin' to the beat.

Tusk
Tusk is lots of fun, and I like it better earlier in the setlist than it was in the Say You Will tour of 2003. It rocked!

Sara
Some more Stevie/Lindsey moments during this song. As they did in Pittsburgh, they faced each other during the "I had met my match" part. Something different: she embraced him during the instrumental interlude towards the end of the song rather than going to his mic to sing. What was especially cool here was the length of time she embraced him. She just blew off her cue to sing so she could hold him until the song ended. It wasn't a side hug; it was face to face. It was very touching, I thought! Stevie's voice on it was absolutely beautiful, and full of emotion. What a powerful song.

Big Love
Lindsey intro'ed this with a speech that was pretty wordy, so much so that I cannot recall all of it. It began with a story of how he was walking the streets of the French Quarter in New Orleans a couple days prior and saw all the guitarists playing in the street. He said he wanted to dedicate the song to them. The next part was bit different from Pittsburgh because it didn't have the part about how he's really happy in his house on the hill now with his wife and kids. Instead, he said something to the effect of that it was very descriptive of his mentality at the time it was written in 1987, but that it bears little relation to how he feels now, and talked some more about life in general. Then, he said that it started out full band, then became a single guitar/vocal piece, and a template for later work. He summed it up by saying now it represented the importance of change. As usual, he played the song perfectly and got a standing ovation. What an amazing talent he is!

I Want to Go Back to New Orleans (new song)!
Next was a very special moment. Unfortunately, I can't remember what Stevie said verbatim, but as I did for Gypsy I'll try to put it as close to what she said as possible. She said something like, "After IT happened, I was glued to my couch like everyone else, and I wanted to write something. I wanted to be positive because I knew you would come back. I've waited a long time to say this to you so I'm going to sing a little bit of a song I wrote now." She sang the song by herself, no band playing. The song was midtempo and upbeat. As she was singing it, I told myself, "I have to try and remember these words" but my mind was so blown by the fact we were hearing a new, special song that it was unable to retain it all! Same for Kristin. I can only hope there is a recording. What we can remember is that lyrics went something like "I want to go back to New Orleans. I want to wear feathers and beads." Then the next lines had something about wearing lace and going to Bourbon Street and the French Quarter. Towards the end she sang something to the effect of "I wanna brush by the vampires in the street." Then, after she stopped singing, she said "There's a whole song that goes with that." Some folks hollered, "SING IT!" But she stopped. It was essentially trying to capture the special spirit that embodies New Orleans in Stevie's mind - the fact that you can indeed walk the streets of New Orleans and see feathers, beads, lace, and yes - even people dressed like vampires. That the city is full of not only fun but a magic all its own; Stevie was creating a juxtaposition of images that evoke the unique nature of the town. Well done, Stevie, I say. It was especially meaning for Kristin, who had lived in New Orleans during Katrina.

Landslide
From that, it was only appropriate to dedicate Landslide to the people of New Orleans. Beautifully done. I do miss how she used to go over to Lindsey during Landslide as I will always consider it "their song," but oh well.

Never Going Back Again
Next, it was once again Lindsey's turn to shine with another hit from Rumours. The only problem was that Stevie was a bit of a distraction as turned her back, flung her arms out, and struck some lovely poses as he sang. I know everyone at our end of the stage, at least, was watching her! Lindsey of course did a wonderful job with the song regardless.

Storms
At this point I noticed Stevie had changed into her lovely dark red dress. Stevie intro'ed this song a little differently. She said that they wanted to do something different, and that this was a song she loved and has always wanted to do, but this tour was the first time they had done it despite the fact it was from the 1979 Tusk album. She said it was "a song about stormy relationships, and stormy people... dark, dark, stormy people" and got a rather ominous look on her face before breaking into a smile. "It's called 'I Have Always Been a Storm.'" Of course Mick was out front for this and it was great. Love that they're doing this song now.

Say You Love Me
Yes, I miss Christine McVie but - they are so great on this song and I love that they're doing it! On a shallow personal note, Lindsey started giving our end of the crowd some lovin' and it was great having him look our way for "When the lovin' starts and the lights go down." :blush: However, it also had good Stevie/Lindsey moments as they sang part of it to each other. Love that!

Gold Dust Woman
This was the first time I had seen Stevie do Gold Dust Woman in her red dress, and the gold shawl against it made a striking contrast. Another Lindsey/Stevie moment: they were facing each other and looking pretty intense during the "Did she make you cry, make you break down" a couple choruses in. We could see Lindsey's face and woah. The only disappointment was her howl, which was kind of "monotonal" as Stevie would say!

Oh Well
Back to Lindsey! During this song, however, I decided to look over at Mick and John for the majority of it, thinking about how amazing it must be for them to playing this song still after all these years (the song was first released when Peter Green was still in the band, back in the sixties). Towards the end, Lindsey dragged out the "When I talk to God" part. After he said that line, he stopped, looked up, looked around, then looked up again... it was pretty funny. Finally he finished the song. Love that they added this to the set for this tour.

I'm So Afraid
My favorite Lindsey Fleetwood Mac song. I love how intense he gets playing this. I thought the guitar solo was a bit different than usual; a little less regular on the beat. A hot moment for me occurred during the solo. He walked over to the left end of the stage as he usually does for the solo, hitting his regular spot which was a little beyond where we were. Then, to my delight, at the end he moved and played the very end of the solo over me like he did in Indianapolis a few months ago (wonder if he remembers?). He leaned over so close as he played that his sweat dripped on me. That may gross some people out but I thought it was freaking hot. Ladies, just replace Lindsey with your favorite Eagle - imagine him leaning over you, his shirt gaping open so you can see his chest, sweat running down his flushed face and neck and dripping onto you, looking orgasmic as he hits the climactic high note with a leg on either on either side of you, and you will perhaps understand.

Stand Back
This song always rocks, and tonight was no exception. At this point Stevie was really amping it up and I loved it. Once again, Kristin and I were treated to Lindsey mouthing lyrics at us. Unfortunately, this was probably prompted by the fact that we both hollered "Stand Back!" at the wrong time and so thereafter he found it necessary to turn towards us and mouth "STAND BACK" when it really was time to sing it. OK, not ideal, but I'll take what I can get. ;) Another treat was a certain lyric change. Where she usually says "I asked him for his love, that was all" - she sang "He asked me for too much, I said, 'TAKE IT ALL!'" She rarely sings it this way (I can only remember her doing it for the 1987 Tango in the Night tour video, and presumably for that whole tour - yes, I am hardcore, lol), and it's awesome!

Go Your Own Way
A break, then Stevie was back with her adorable top hat on. The opening strains of this always make me a bit sad as I know it's near the end, but they did a great job with it. I thought it was funny that Stevie actually turned her microphone and put her back to Lindsey during the "packin' up, shackin' up" line and then, after it, moved so that she was once again facing normally. She has made it very clear in interviews that these lines anger her and I guess that was the visible representation, lol. Lindsey came down to the audience to allow us to strum guitars, as he often does. He came over me again and I got to strum it as well.

World Turning
After a few moments of pretend goodbyes, they came back out for the encore. The audience at this time was on their feet and rockin' away. Mick Fleetwood's drum solo has certainly gotten longer since Pittsburgh! But he deserves his moment in the spotlight.

Band Intros
Lindsey was introduced as "the youth of the band" and "our mentor in the studio." Stevie was introduced as "the first lady of the band." Mick mentioned that the band intros were "John's dreaded moment" because he doesn't like being in the spotlight, which I thought was cute, then proceeded to introduce him anyway. There were the usual backing folks - Brett Tuggle, Neil Heywood, Sharon Celani, Lori Nicks, Janna Anderson. The backing band for the Mac is a lot smaller and less visible than for the Eagles, that's for sure. Tuggle plays keyboards in lieu of Christine, Heywood is an additional guitar, and the girls are backing singers.

Don't Stop
Lots of spirit, even if it annoys me a bit that Stevie changes the words a little - in the first verse, she sings "If your life isn't good for you, just think what tomorrow will do." One cute moment: Stevie did a little kick during this song. They thanked the crowd for being wonderful and seemed to really mean it.

No Silver Springs - BOO!

Other than the absence of Silver Springs, a magnificent show. SO glad I went.

BUT... I almost got into a little altercation during the show! More on that in the next post...

sodascouts
06-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Ironic that this should come on the heels of a discussion about Don's distaste for signs and how he can be overly anal about it... but I guess I learned the hard way that sometimes, it's necessary to take a stand against the obnoxious ones.

So, last night at the Fleetwood Mac concert, this woman next to me had a REALLY long banner. It was so long that it took about 12 people to hold it up, whom she was able to enlist somehow, probably by bugging them relentlessly. She tried to enlist me, but then I got a gander at what it said: "LINDSEY I HAVE WANTED TO F--K YOU FOR TEN YEARS" in super-big letters. Of course she did not have dashes instead of letters. It was right in the middle at the front, and stretched from in front of Stevie to in front of Lindsey. It was held up for several minutes during an early Lindsey song, and actually hit me in the face, so I kind of shoved it away from me. Lindsey saw it and nodded at me, like he thought it was my sign, to my mortification. I quickly shook my head and pointed at that other woman. Stevie was looking pissed off.

Whatever. I shrugged it off and waited for her to put it down now that she'd been acknowledged. But she didn't. I don't know what she was waiting for - him to come over and proposition her from the stage? Finally, it drifted down. But that was not to be the end of it. She held it up a second time a couple songs later. Again, it hit me in the face. Again, I tolerated it. By this point, the MANY people it was blocking were getting annoyed too.

Then, Stevie sang the moving song about New Orleans, and went into Landslide. The woman started shoving the banner up AGAIN. It was obvious Stevie hated the vulgar sign and here she was, pouring her heart out during a highly emotional song, and she was gonna have to look at THAT again? I'd had enough. "Not this time," I said, and grabbed the corner, pulling it down. The woman tried to move away but I was on a mission. I wouldn't let go.

She became enraged, calling me all sorts of vulgarities for the remainder of the song. I simply turned away and refused to react, but never let go of that sign until I saw it fall to the floor. After the song, she continued hollering. I turned to her and said as politely as I could, "Ma'am, please be quiet, I am trying to enjoy the show." Then I turned away again and determinedly did not look at her or acknowledge her. You can imagine this did not silence her, but it was fairly easy to block her out as there was someone in between her and me and therefore I didn't have to see her. Also, with the crowd noise, her epithets were muffled to the degree where I couldn't quite make them out anyway. At any rate, the show was so wonderful that I could wrap myself in it and not think too hard about her, even though she continued ranting for several more songs.

I don't know if Lindsey saw what happened, but after that was when he came over for I'm So Afraid and gave me some special attention, much to that woman's anger. Hmmm.

As I said, she continued for several songs afterwards and then approached me again, at which point I said "We'll talk after the show." At that, she finally left me alone with the promise that "We definitely will."

Of course, when the lights came up at the end, she scurried away. Whatever, if she had tried anything I would have just called over security.

I can only hope she only acts that way when she's liquored up because otherwise.... woah. One would hope a woman who was obviously over 50 would have a little more maturity, but oh well.

I don't regret doing it and I'd do it again. But I have to admit, it did occur to me that Mr. Don Henley would never have allowed that to happen. ;)

Troubadour
06-21-2009, 09:03 PM
Good on you, Soda! I have to say, I would love to see Don's reaction to a sign like that. LMAO. I'm glad you had a great time, despite the woman with the banner. You're exactly right - why continue to hold it up once he's read it? What was she expecting?

It sounds like a fantastic show though. I'm thrilled you got to see the last one of the tour. And at least you have a pretty good story to tell about your almost-altercation at a Fleetwood Mac concert!

eaglesvet
06-21-2009, 10:44 PM
Wow, that was really uncalled for, Nancy! No, not your reaction...the woman's profane and overly-long banner! What was she thinking? Unbelievable that she would have the nerve to bring that thing into the venue, and convince other innocent bystanders to partake in holding it up not once but multiple times...how in the world does something like that happen? Where were the Sign Police that I encountered on my way into Hershey Arena, who made me deep-six a one-person 11" x 14" posterboard congratulating the Eagles on their CMA wins (that I was planning to hold up only if they actually won that night.) Boy, my security guards would've had their hands full at that Mac concert, now wouldn't they have?!?

sodascouts
06-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Glad you sympathize, guys! Now, check out a photo where you can (sort of) see my friend Kristin and I - or at least the backs of our heads! We are right against the stage - this is when Lindsey was coming over to us for Go Your Own Way. She is the straight-haired brunette to the right of the speaker and I am right next to her with both my hands raised.

See that pit of people. I believe the first five rows were allowed to come up. It was wild!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taigarual/3649521144/in/set-72157620068740205/

luvthelighthouse
06-22-2009, 01:37 AM
"I" would be WAY too embarrassed to put that on a banner. Then, to hold it up for periods of time, over and over... OMG!

Kudos to you Soda, you handled it well.

Marla
06-22-2009, 01:54 AM
Glad you had fun, Nancy! Sorry about the 'Witchy Woman' ! :-x When I saw Mac in Bossier City several years back there were 4 drunk women sitting behind us who talked really loud & tried to pick up every stray guy who passed by. Obviously these folks are not there for the music, huh?

My son really loved the show & raved about Lindsey's guitar playing as well as his vocals.

And, thanks for the great review.:)

Prettymaid
06-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Soda, I think you handled yourself well with just the right amount of restraint. Glad you enjoyed the show and got some more attention from Lindsey. I think it's great that they let the first few rows go up to the stage.

As far as the sign issue - talk about from one extreme to the other! A tasteful sign (or flag) held up at just the right moment during a concert can be uplifting, but for security to allow vulgarity on a sign is unnacceptable, IMO.

TimothyBFan
06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
Great review Soda~~ love the picture, gee couldn't you get any closer? :hilarious: Are there anymore pictures anywhere of the concert? Would love to see Stevie's outfit. She is always dressed to the max!!

Sorry to hear about the sign lady, I can't believe you are the only one that stood up to her. I bet when you did, everyone else was silently applauding you for it! Don would have had a coronary with that one! :)

Enjoy the rest of your stay with the family!

Brooke
06-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Great review Soda! Sounds like it was a fantastic concert and to be so close and get some 'Lindsey time', too!

As far as the banner lady, geez! How uncool and unclassy to put up a vulgar one and then do it multiple times! Sounds like you handled it well.

I can't even imagine what Don would have done!

06-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Nanc - glad you had a great time at the show and got a little bit of attention from Lindsey. Good job in handling 'sign woman' as well. It's funny, but when I first typed this, I called her 'sign lady', but then, I immediately deleted it because that is no lady.

Maleah
07-21-2009, 07:30 PM
David Cook must be a fan of your band Soda ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRBjmDPOn84

sodascouts
07-22-2009, 06:48 PM
Makes me love him all the more! ;)

TimothyBFan
08-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Sorry this is not about FM touring but I have a question and I didn't want to start a whole new thread just for it. I knew if I put it here, the person it's directed to will see it. ;)

Last night after we came inside, I flicked on the tv and happened upon the last half hour of The Fleetwood Mac biography. They were talking about how many albums the different lineups of FM there are. Of course that made me think of a certain someone. My question is to our resident Macaholic--- Of all the albums, how many do you actually have? Do you just have the ones with Lindsey and Stevie or have you collected all the different lineups, such as the ones with Peter Green or Bob Welch prior to Buckingham/Nicks or do you have the one with Dave Mason and Bekka Bramlett after Stevie and Lindsey left in the early 90s? And what were your take on those different lineups?

Does anyone else here have any of the FM albums with the other lineups and what do you think of them?

sodascouts
08-07-2009, 11:06 AM
I have all the Fleetwood Mac albums recorded after the addition of Buckingham Nicks, even Time which neither of them were on (they had both left the band at that point). I also have the Bare Trees album which was recorded prior to their joining. I don't know if this counts, but I bought 25 Years - The Chain which is kind of like the Eagles' Selected Works and it has a disc of Fleetwood Mac's pre-BN music. I figured that was enough. ;)

The truth is that Fleetwood Mac really was prolific in the early days. They put out 9 albums in 6 years (1968-1974)... and during that time had 8 line-ups! They also had a completely different sound - very bluesy. It almost became a different band with the addition of Stevie and Lindsey, which is one reason why it took off then and not before.

Brooke
08-07-2009, 03:56 PM
That reminds me of what I've read in the books, Hotel California and Laurel Canyon. So many of the different bands members moved from band to band and only were together for one album or so, then someone got mad and left and went to another band. It was like 'musical bands' (pun intended) back in the 60's and 70's! :lol:

sodascouts
08-07-2009, 08:31 PM
Willie, I just realized you also asked me to evaluate rather than just report! My thoughts:

1967: Fleetwood Mac is formed. Fleetwood Mac was born when the legendary guitarist Peter Green decided he wanted to form a band. He recruited Mick and wanted to lure John McVie away from John Mayall's BluesBreakers for his new band (Green was also in the BluesBreakers) - he even named the band "Fleetwood Mac" in hopes to get McVie to join. It worked eventually - but only after they had hired another bassist - who was promptly "let go"! People were saying to Green "You named your band after the rhythm section??" lol But they're both still there today, and will be until they have to be carried off the stage. The fourth member of the band was guitarist Jeremy Spencer.

Peter Green's incarnation was great at what it did: the blues. Because I don't listen to blues music a lot, it's not really my thing - but if you're into that, you'll love Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

1968: Fleetwood Mac adds guitarist Danny Kirwin. The band had an additional harmony sound that was nice - less basic blues, but still solidly in the genre. Again, good if you like it.

1970: Peter Green goes mental. He got a hold of some tainted LSD and it messed him up BAD. He left the band. His loss hurt Fleetwood Mac, which lost its direction, but it was at that time that John's new wife Christine was added to the band. She brought her soft voice and skilled piano playing to the table, and the band took on a new sound that I prefer to their straight blues.

1971: Jeremy Spencer goes mental. He left the band to join a cult. Again struggling, the band grabbed guitarist Bob Welch. He was their first American member and added a kind of American sensibility which again changed the sound.By now it was far from Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac, but still hadn't quite captured a hit. I love Welch's song "Sentimental Lady." His voice sounded lovely harmonizing with Christine. Bare Trees is a good album, just not an excellent one.

1972: Kirwin goes mental. See a theme here? lol He became a raging alcoholic and in a fit of rage banged his head against a wall until it bled and refused to go onstage. He was fired, too. Poor Fleetwood Mac!

1973: They hire Dave Walker to add to the vocals. He was fired pretty soon because his voice didn't really gel with the others. Bob Weston was also hired... but fired after his affair with Mrs. Fleetwood. There was a lot of turmoil, but I think the album Mystery to Me has the best pre-BN track of all: "Why." A magnificent song. It also features "Hypnotized" which I like.

1974: Welch decides to leave and....

STEVIE AND LINDSEY JOIN FLEETWOOD MAC!

You know what I think of that lineup! lol

1988: Lindsey goes mental. Not super-crazy like the other FM guitarists before him, but crazy enough to have a knock down, drag-out fight with Stevie at Christine's house over whether he would tour with the band to promote Tango in the Night. After the fight, he went to his car in Christine's driveway and sat in it, crying, for a good 15 minutes. Then, he drove off. That was it - he'd quit the band. It says a lot for Lindsey's prowess that he was replaced by TWO guys - Billy Burnette and Rick Vito. Unfortunately, the band with its ungainly six members was not able to recreate their hits. Despite the fact that Stevie was still in the band, the album Behind the Mask didn't have the Fleetwood Mac bizazz. There are a couple good songs... but I would never have bought it if Stevie hadn't been on it.

1991: Stevie has a fight with Mick and quits the band - then Vito goes, too! Mick scrambled around for replacements and found Bekka Bramlett and Dave Mason. Now all of the sudden Fleetwood Mac sounded country! The album they made together, Time, is very weak. I bought it anyway - and regretted it! They were reduced to being an opening act. It looked like the end for Fleetwood Mac....

1997: THE DANCE reunites the Rumours line up. Awesomeness!

1998: Christine leaves the band and can't be enticed back. She has sworn to never set foot on a stage again, and hasn't to this day.

2003: Fleetwood Mac records a new album as a quartet. While it's not the same without Christine and the current line-up is missing something, the band still rocks. I love the album Say You Will and I hope the band makes the new album it's promised us. Hey, if the Eagles can pull one out when they're in their sixties, why can't the Mac?

Shoot, that was long! But getting me talking about the Mac and that's what happens. ;)

(I changed the thread's title so we can have these discussions with abandon.)

Maleah
08-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Apparently I was wrong when I called David Cook a "fan" Soda.......he must be a BIG fan! LOL They chose that song to perform on Good Morning America and even had Kris Allen and Adam Lambert help him on a verse!

http://www.celebuzz.com/video-david-cook-adam-lambert-s125311/

There's a video halfway down. Thought you might be interested in a better sound quality video of the cover. :) How do I love David Cook? Let me count the ways..... :D :bow:

sodascouts
08-09-2009, 01:19 AM
LOVE it Maleah, Thanks! You know I love David Cook too. Glad to see he has good taste. ;)

Maleah
08-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Glad you liked it! :) I know that I LOOOOVE finding out that a younger artist I like is a fan of someone else I like....if that makes sense. lol It would be like finding out David is a huge fan of the Eagles or Don for me ;)

Freypower
08-15-2009, 09:28 PM
Look at Undercover's 'scoop':

http://undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=9001_Fleetwood_Mac_Aussie_Dates_Leak ed

Should I go or not? I am honestly not that big a fan. I am sure that Soda will explain to me all the reasons why I should go.

sodascouts
08-16-2009, 11:10 AM
lol, FP! Obviously, I love Fleetwood Mac and I think they put on a great show. Lindsey Buckingham is a genius on the guitar and Stevie's voice can move you down to your soul. Their music is timeless and they play quite a few of their well-known songs. However, this is just my subjective opinion - if you're not that big of a fan and aren't impressed by the songs I love, perhaps you wouldn't agree.

Prettymaid
08-17-2009, 12:45 PM
I love The Mac as well and would love to see them again. (I know, I know, they were in Chicago but my concert funds were diminished at the time!) ;)

sodascouts
08-18-2009, 01:31 AM
I hear ya, PM. I was forced to miss them in Chicago too due to depleted concert funds! :weep:

Luckily, I got to see them in Pittsburgh on opening night and in New Orleans on their closing night (the latter bought by someone else, thank goodness!) So, I couldn't feel too sad... but it still caused me agonies when they were performing in Chicago and I was sitting at home!

Brooke
08-18-2009, 09:59 AM
I would have loved to have seen them, too, when they were in my area, but had the same problem as you all. I so hope they tour again.

Freypower
08-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I am still trying to make up my mind. I saw an article in the paper which stated that not only the Eagles are due here next year (which I expected) but also Paul McCartney (who I last saw in 1992) and Bruce Springsteen (who I have never seen). I expect Paul & the Eagles to be very expensive, so perhaps I should wait.

Brooke
08-19-2009, 10:28 AM
Ooh. At least you have some kind of confirmation about the Eagles! :cool:

AmarilloByMorning
08-19-2009, 05:09 PM
Freypower Paul McCartney was incomparable, and I'm not even a Beatles fan (if everyone could please refrain from assaulting me in this regard, that would be fabulous). I found Springsteen completely forgettable, but I hope whichever act(s) you choose are enjoyable!

MikeA
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
FWW: Stevie Nicks just ROCKS! 18 to 80....it don't matter with her! I don't care that she was temper prone (Christine McVie was the sweetheart and far easier to get along with according to a person whose name I can't reveal [sorry ABM but I promised!] but who was on tour with them.) I was in love with Stevie from the first time I heard that voice and then saw the woman behind it! Ga-ga ever since <LOL>

And that's about as close to "freckle counting" as I'll ever get <evil grin>

eaglesvet
08-20-2009, 11:47 PM
Freypower Paul McCartney was incomparable, and I'm not even a Beatles fan (if everyone could please refrain from assaulting me in this regard, that would be fabulous). I found Springsteen completely forgettable, but I hope whichever act(s) you choose are enjoyable!
:shock: Trust me, a Springsteen concert is anything but forgettable! The man and his band RULE live concert shows! Never the same show twice, especially since he began the "Sign Requests" back in the middle of the last concert tour for the Magic album... 3+ hours of 30-yrs' worth of hits to draw on, plus whatever else the crowd can come up with, no matter whose covers they are..can't beat it! You will be in awe when you see a bunch of 50- and 60-yr olds (OK, so their alternate drummer is only 19) have so much energy that they are literally doing backflips on the stage with their guitars, racing around, and pouring sweat to beat the band....forgettable? Nah!

AmarilloByMorning
08-21-2009, 02:27 PM
:shock: Trust me, a Springsteen concert is anything but forgettable! The man and his band RULE live concert shows!
I apologize.... I didn't mean to offend. I struggled through the whole concert; didn't latch onto a single thing. Must just be a personal preference. I remember walking into a Fleetwood Mac concert having absolutely no clue who they were (my Dad went on a "culture the daughter" brigade a while back so we've seen just about everyone) and within two songs I was completely enraptured. I couldn't even really articulate why. Dad kept saying "They were magic when they were younger" and I kept thinking, "They're magic now." The only song I knew was "Don't Stop" but I scarcely blinked for the entire set. Same with Paul McCartney - I effin' hate the Beatles, mannnn, but he's one hell of a show. They guy's, what, 67 or something? He looks and acts 40, at best. And Elton John! I walked in thinking it would be one of the longest nights of my life and walked out with wings on my feet and stars in my eyes, wondering where he'd been all my life. So, I apologize if I offend(ed), but even "Pink Cadillac" didn't do anything for me.

MikeA
08-21-2009, 03:47 PM
You mentioned the Beatles ABM. I just got my Rolling Stone today and the Beatles are on the Cover. The headlines are "Why The Beatles Broke Up". Haven't read it yet.

Our tastes are different though when it comes to the Beatles. Never saw them "live" but man, I dug what they were doing. Recognized "something NEW" right off the bat when I first heard "I Want To Hold Your Hand!" And "Abby Road". I wore out I don't know how many LPs of that one before I got my tape recorder and started tapeing everything. And "Sgt Peppers".

Maybe they didn't invent Rock, but they certainly changed the way it was perceived and the way it was played. And what they did to the Culture!

Sort of went to their heads though. But then, how could it not have? They were just kids except for Ringo and with all that fame and money! I think they looked for things to turn the applecart of society upside down. Especially John <LOL>

eaglesvet
08-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I apologize.... I didn't mean to offend. I struggled through the whole concert; didn't latch onto a single thing. Must just be a personal preference. I remember walking into a Fleetwood Mac concert having absolutely no clue who they were (my Dad went on a "culture the daughter" brigade a while back so we've seen just about everyone) and within two songs I was completely enraptured. I couldn't even really articulate why. Dad kept saying "They were magic when they were younger" and I kept thinking, "They're magic now." The only song I knew was "Don't Stop" but I scarcely blinked for the entire set. Same with Paul McCartney - I effin' hate the Beatles, mannnn, but he's one hell of a show. They guy's, what, 67 or something? He looks and acts 40, at best. And Elton John! I walked in thinking it would be one of the longest nights of my life and walked out with wings on my feet and stars in my eyes, wondering where he'd been all my life. So, I apologize if I offend(ed), but even "Pink Cadillac" didn't do anything for me.
No offense taken--just refuting your choice of adjective. :wink:

AmarilloByMorning
08-22-2009, 09:56 PM
No offense taken--just refuting your choice of adjective. :wink:
Talk about a nickel comment and a $50 response... Sorry about that. Didn't mean to meander off into nowhere with my opinions.

You mentioned the Beatles ABM. I just got my Rolling Stone today and the Beatles are on the Cover. The headlines are "Why The Beatles Broke Up". Haven't read it yet.

Our tastes are different though when it comes to the Beatles.
I bought that RS today! My first thought was, "Oh, howevermany years later they've finally uncovered the 'real' reason?" but of course you cannot pass on an article like that. I probably would have liked them had I been around to appreciate their novelty and innovation. And, of course, I claim no particular affinity for them, yet every time I visit EPCOT I plan my Great Britain visit to correlate with their cover band's concert times and dance like a fool, so....

Maleah
08-24-2009, 09:06 PM
So where can I find accurate lyrics to "Silver Spring?" My friend and I want to learn that song but I can't for the life of me understand what Stevie is singing in the second verse! LOL And I don't want to go to some random lyric page, only to find that I've learned the wrong lyrics. So I figured Soda would know what is accurate and what's not. ;)

sodascouts
08-24-2009, 09:30 PM
From my FM site BuckinghamNicks.net:

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/bn/chain/silversprings.html

Maleah
08-24-2009, 09:33 PM
You're a rockstar Nancy! Thanks!! I knew you'd come through for me :thumbsup:

AmarilloByMorning
08-25-2009, 02:52 PM
On a Stevie note, were you to recommend five songs to someone seekng a crash-course in Nicksdom, which would you select? I have Edge of Seventeen, Leather & Lace, Stop Dragging My Heart Around, and from FMac the entire Rumours... but that seems like Stevie-lite to me, given the rabid following she inspires. Anyone's opinion would be fantastic.

sodascouts
08-25-2009, 06:17 PM
Hmm, it's hard to answer this one (at least for me). I have my favorites, but I'm not sure if they're the kind that would appeal to a casual fan. Here's some ones from Fleetwood Mac.
Note: the videos from MySpace are linked, not embedded. You have to click on those to see the video.

Hint: If these are slow to load, put your computer on mute, press play, let it go all the way through, then go back and turn the volume on. It should play smoothly then.

My favorite rock song EVER.
Gypsy
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=19553500

The version of this from The Dance is what got me into Fleetwood Mac:
Silver Springs
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=12411688

Another magnificent song from The Dance:
Landslide
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=110442

This song has a very non-traditional structure, but she sings it with such emotion and the melody is beautiful.
Sara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttOBnmXFDtQ

Stevie is known for the way she did this song live back in the day, especially the part from 4:45 onwards. This is from 1976. Prepare to be blown away!
Rhiannon (Live 1976)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3KIlPUCSwE

sodascouts
08-25-2009, 06:42 PM
Perhaps one may think it is cheating to have 5 Mac songs and 5 solo songs. Maybe it is. So sue me. ;)

WARNING: Some of these videos are pretty cheesy and dated. Concentrate on the song please!

One of my favorite solo songs, and a big hit for Stevie. This one ROCKS!
Stand Back
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=3492082

This was another big hit:
Talk to Me
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=28815303

The next three are personal favorites, but weren't hits. In fact they're all pretty obscure.

I love the almost dance-hall feel of this, and the rockin' piano solo!
Gold and Braid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH2m148PrD0

I love the emotion of this one, and the imagery.
Sleeping Angel
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhLqKhUtUJ8

When I first saw this title, I was turned off. Was this a theme song to some fantasy movie? But when you listen to it, you realize it's about the battle inside you. All my friends who are hardcore Stevie fans have their own interpretations of what her imagery in this means to them, for what that battle is. For one of my friends, it was the battle to come to terms with his homosexuality, to come out to his family and friends and tell them he's gay. For another, it was struggling against suicidal thoughts. For me, she's singing about the battle for sanity in the midst of despair, uncertainty, and confusion.
I certainly call that a dragon.
Battle of the Dragon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO42pe0w4lo

Those who get Stevie's music - those who are touched by it, are moved by it, are connected emotionally to it - we're very passionate about her. When someone sings song after song that touches your soul, it's personal. This is especially true when it's not just the song, it's the power of the singer's voice to convey as many emotions as it provokes.

You know, I have been having a hard time lately and many of her songs speak to me so much. She has a way of making you feel like she understands the kind of pain you're in, and somehow, that makes it more bearable.

The people whom her music has helped, the people whom SHE has helped - like my friends above, like me - those are the "rabid following." And there are a lot of us.

Those who don't get Stevie's music have no idea what the big deal is, and never will.

Freypower
08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
Well, Soda, I did it! I just booked a second row seat through the Sydney Morning Herald's pre booking service. The price is A$495.

Yes, it's pricey but I just got a fairly decent tax refund and this will pay for it. I thought 'oh well, what the hell'. I am not 'rabid' as you are but I am sure I will enjoy it and I somehow feel this is a way of 'giving you something back' for all you have done for me if that makes sense. The show is on December 7. :partytime: :soda:

I won't be able to do the spectacularly detailed reviews that you do but I promise to give both Lindsey and Stevie a big smile for you.

Prettymaid
08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Julie, I hope you get every penny's worth back in enjoyment. I think they're awesome!

Brooke
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
Great Julie! I'm sure it will be wonderful!

sodascouts
08-26-2009, 12:16 PM
Well, Soda, I did it! I just booked a second row seat through the Sydney Morning Herald's pre booking service. The price is A$495.

Yes, it's pricey but I just got a fairly decent tax refund and this will pay for it. I thought 'oh well, what the hell'. I am not 'rabid' as you are but I am sure I will enjoy it and I somehow feel this is a way of 'giving you something back' for all you have done for me if that makes sense. The show is on December 7. :partytime: :soda:

I won't be able to do the spectacularly detailed reviews that you do but I promise to give both Lindsey and Stevie a big smile for you.

That's great! They play hit after hit. Even a casual fan will enjoy it! And I appreciate the thought. You know, Lindsey might even smile back! ;)

http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/bn/images/SnLperforming.jpg

MikeA
08-26-2009, 03:06 PM
Soda,

Just went back and really listened to that 1976 live Rhiannon video. Man, Stevie was really pulling Lindsey and Mick into that song wasn't she! You seldom hear a Les Paul finger-picked like Buckingham was doing it in that song...he was tearing it's heart out! And what can you say about Stevie's vocals...and Christine was pristine on her keyboards and backing vocals too! It was all good!

sodascouts
08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Oh, no joke, Mike. Lindsey's solo at 3:22, his backing at 6:00 - as you probably know, his unusual finger-picking of electric guitars (he has never used a pick) is pretty famous.

Lindsey has said that watching Stevie on this song used to "inspire" him, ahem, and he took it out on that guitar! Some versions of this he goes so wild that at the end he shouts "YEAH!"

Gotta love it.

Sadly, the current way they do Rhiannon has no guitar solo. BOOOOOOOOOO.

MikeA
08-26-2009, 03:51 PM
Oh, no joke, Mike. Lindsey's solo at 3:22, his backing at 6:00 - as you probably know, his unusual finger-picking of electric guitars (he has never used a pick) is pretty famous.

Lindsey has said that watching Stevie on this song used to "inspire" him, ahem, and he took it out on that guitar! Some versions of this he goes so wild that at the end he shouts "YEAH!"

Gotta love it.

Sadly, the current way they do Rhiannon has no guitar solo. BOOOOOOOOOO.

I can only imagine that if Lindsey gets "inspired" by the way Stevie tears that song to shreds, there must be a lot of little Les Pauls running around "out there" now!

I've seen folks like Jimmy Vaughan finger pick a Fender, and Albert King finger pick a Gibson, but King worked off of a Gibson Flying VEE....but don't recall ever seeing an LP played that way by anyone! Buckingham's style is not strange to me. I mean, I've been watching him play that ax of his since the mid-seventies. Just that I've never seen him ripping into a Les Paul with it!

Brooke
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for those videos, Soda! I love that Rhiannon one! Lindsey's 'fro is crazy and Stevie looks so pretty! Inspired, huh?!

I also really liked the Gold and Braid, Sleeping Angel, and Battle ones! I've never heard them before.

I recently bought her cds 'Bella Donna' and 'Trouble in Shangri-la'. I really like them. I also have Crystal Visions, but don't care as much for the re-working of some of the songs. I like the original versions better.

Prettymaid
08-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Loved the Rhiannon video. Wish she could still hit those notes!

Freypower
08-26-2009, 07:08 PM
I haven't got Trouble In Shangri-La. Is it worth buying?

One question I have about this show is what will it be like minus Christine McVie's keyboards and harmonies? I assume they have a keyboards player, but will something like Don't Stop work as well as it would have?

sodascouts
08-26-2009, 09:48 PM
I haven't got Trouble In Shangri-La. Is it worth buying?

I like it, especially the title track. You might be able to find some of the songs on YouTube so you can see if you like them enough to buy the album.

One question I have about this show is what will it be like minus Christine McVie's keyboards and harmonies? I assume they have a keyboards player, but will something like Don't Stop work as well as it would have?

You'd be surprised about how well Stevie sounds doing Christine's part on the three songs of hers they've kept (mostly duets). Her harmony can't be replaced, but they've added three backing ladies to try and approximate its power (that tells you something right there).

I really hope you enjoy the show or I'll feel terribly guilty since I inspired you to buy the ticket!

sodascouts
08-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Great interview with Stevie - says Lindsey is the love of her life!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/5857839/truth-and-rumours/

There's audio too. I never knew that Christine had panic attacks during the Dance and that's why she left!!

Prettymaid
08-29-2009, 12:09 PM
I thought this was interesting.
------------------------------------

“When I walk into my really beautiful little condo, I feel like an international star and when I walk into my big house, I feel like an old woman who can’t figure out what to do,” she says.

08-29-2009, 12:33 PM
Great interview with Stevie - says Lindsey is the love of her life!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/entertainment/a/-/entertainment/5857839/truth-and-rumours/

There's audio too. I never knew that Christine had panic attacks during the Dance and that's why she left!!

Poor Stevie - wonder if anybody has ever mentioned to her that she appears to be confused about who the love of her life is. :confused: :lol:

And c'mon Soda - how did I know that about Christine and you didn't. I don't remember where I heard that from, but I always just I figured you told me! :shock:

sodascouts
08-29-2009, 02:27 PM
“When I walk into my really beautiful little condo, I feel like an international star and when I walk into my big house, I feel like an old woman who can’t figure out what to do,” she says.

Yeah, I think she's got kind of an "empty nest" syndrome. Her brother, sister-in-law, and niece used to live with her and now they don't anymore, I understand. Hey Stevie - call me - I can keep you company in your big house! ;)

Dreamer - maybe I knew and forgot it. I have so much info about Fleetwood Mac in my brain, coupled with Eagles facts, that sometimes the little details seem to slip out! Like me telling the elevator story twice, thinking I had never posted it before....

:sigh: :blush:

Prettymaid
08-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Like me telling the elevator story twice, thinking I had never posted it before....:sigh: :blush:

Hey, don't beat yourself up over that Soda. That story is so good it deserves to be on here twice!

MikeA
08-31-2009, 07:43 AM
Sunday, Sept 6. Flight to Vegas. 6pm Vegas time, a Fleetwood Mac Tribute band takes the stage. At 9pm, Three Dog Night.

Should be interesting. The Mac Trib plays the same stage Monday night at 8pm too. Hope they are good. Both bands are rattling the windows of the hotel we are staying at (stage is right next door!)

sodascouts
09-09-2009, 05:03 AM
Fleetwood Mac New Zealand show sells out in minutes (http://buckinghamnicksnet.blogspot.com/2009/09/second-nz-show-added.html)

This is good news for FP. Fleetwood Mac is also managed by Azoff, and has a similar demographic. If they sell well Down Under, Azoff may decide the Eagles need to go down there too and capitalize on the same market.

Freypower
09-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Soda, I never doubted that the Eagles would return here, only which year. I am certain that it will be in 2010.

Freypower
12-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Fleetwood Mac, Sydney December 7 2009

or How I Touched Lindsey Buckingham 3 Times and His Guitar Once!

Setlist:

Monday Morning
The Chain
Dreams
I Know I'm Not Wrong
Gypsy
Go Insane (Lindsey Buckingham Solo)
Rhiannon
Second Hand News
Tusk
Sara
Big Love (LB Solo)
Landslide
Never Going Back Again
Storms
Say You Love Me
Gold Dust Woman
Oh Well
I'm So Afraid
Stand Back
Go Your Own Way
Encore:World Turning
Don't Stop
Encore 2:
Silver Springs

First of all thanks to WireImage for the following photos. You can see me in two of them:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/Mac.jpg

Look at the four heads just below Stevie's boot. I'm the one second from right slightly further back.

This is a perfect example of Lindsey's interaction with the audience. See the guy with his elbows raised? I am just to his left. (I am pretty sure it's me because the hair appears to be red).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/Lindsey2.jpg

What a great showman and awesome guitar player this man is.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/Lindsey.jpg

Stevie was rather restrained, I felt. She performed well but she didn't light up the stage the way Lindsey did.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/Stevie.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Wallpaper/Miscellaneous/Stevie2.jpg

I re-read Nancy's reviews earlier in the thread. My show was very similar to her review on Page 4 and I can't add much to it so I will put in some personal comments.

I got there and was in my seat for 10 seconds (they were already on stage) before I was at the front. I could not believe this. It's the first time I have stood throughout a concert for a very long time.

The Chain was the first big highlight when Lindsey started eyeing the women, me included. I didn't know what to do, I was so taken aback by the stares and hand gestures. However, I got used to it and started to react back! I was not going to just stand there with my mouth open.

I'd never heard I Know I'm Not Wrong (or Storms) but I liked both songs.

Never Going Back Again was particularly moving in that it was sung at a slower tempo than normal, although it picked up later on.

I got HUGE interaction with Lindsey during Second Hand News, which I love. He was just incredible. It was not only me - he would single people out and just point at them or sing to them. In contrast, all I got from Stevie was the occasional glance, as I was directly below her.

My favourite outfit of Stevie's was the dark maroon dress she wore for Gold Dust Woman which came near to being the highlight of the show along with Landslide, where we had a bit of Stevie/Lindsey 'interaction' as they tried to get the end of the song right.

Say You Love Me was a big surprise - it worked really well!

For Stand Back I decided on a strategy. Solo Stevie song - yes. So I stared at Lindsey and for EACH CHORUS of the song it was just me and Lindsey. It became so obvious that the women I was standing with pushed me closer in his direction. I am notorious for always looking very serious and I thought he may have been directing the line 'it's alright, it's alright' at me to make me lighten up! Well, it worked.

Go Your Own Way, my absolute favourite Mac song, saw him totally working the edge of the stage. I reached out and touched his leg, then his HAND!!!!! I was overwhelmed. I touched his leg again during World Turning and also his guitar.

I must also mention the big stare I had with Mick during Storms when he's down the front. That was a lot of fun because I was in his direct line of vision.

I don't really know Silver Springs well, but I had some more nice moments with Lindsey during it!!!

I have not said much about Stevie because although she sang well she didn't seem particularly engaged. She did some nice hand gestures during Gypsy (wonderful blood red nail polish) and would twist her mic stand to face Lindsey during Sara and Landslide.

The other 'big' songs, Don't Stop, Dreams, Rhiannon etc were all superb.

It was a great show, really worth seeing. I can't really echo the way Nancy writes about them but I am glad I was there. The audience totally buzzed and the band felt that.

sodascouts
12-08-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, FP! Lindsey is such a dynamic performer. Good for you going up to the front and joining the fun at the stage rather than staying in your seat. It makes a huge difference, doesn't it?!

Prettymaid
12-08-2009, 08:26 AM
My, my Julie. Eye contact with Lindsey? Touching his leg? He got you to lighten up? Sounds like a great time!

(Note to self - get FM tix close to stage next time.) :eyebrow: :sigh:

TimothyBFan
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
How frickin' cool was that Julie? I'm so glad to hear that you had such an amazing experience! That Lindsey....what a flirt! Stevie looked absolutely beautiful even tho she wasn't very engaging. Again, glad you had a great time.

Brooke
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Wonderful Fp! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself!

Fantastic pics, too, and you have a lovely head! :wink:

Koala
12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Fp, great pics! Nice to hear you had a wonderful evening!

sodascouts
09-26-2010, 04:12 PM
One of my friends just found this interesting, early interview after Stevie and Lindsey had joined the band, before the release of Rumours but after the release of the successful White Album. Christine is absent, I'm afraid, but what strikes me is that Lindsey and Stevie are still (somewhat) together here and it's strange to hear no one ask them the question "So what it's like having your ex in the band?" lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onKGxTe_20Q

P.S. The interviewer calls Stevie "Mary" - which is especially astonishing considering he appears to have done research!

WalshFan88
10-29-2010, 03:55 PM
Huge Fleetwood Mac fan. Stevie Nicks is my favorite female singer of all time. Lindsey Buckingham is an underrated player, but I wish he'd play Les Pauls again like he did in the 70s instead of those custom acoustic like guitars (Rick Turner Model One)! :hilarious:

Here are my top three favorite Mac songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoMWa3jRtLo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tR_i0sKWKEA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szrzUDODznE

I will say I do miss Christine McVie in the band - I really liked her voice, especially on "You Make Loving Fun", which was the first Mac song I ever heard. I like Stevie's voice better, but I really like Christine McVie too.

tequila girl
01-13-2011, 08:06 PM
Didn't take you long to sort out the new Avi :-):yay: Nice!!

sodascouts
01-13-2011, 08:29 PM
I Work fast, TG! lol! I probably won't have it up for long, but this is such an exciting day for Stevie fans that I couldn't resist!

tequila girl
01-13-2011, 08:43 PM
I have to say at this point....just because...i've always been a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac...but my very favourite song of theirs was way back with Peter Green.....'Man of the World' I love that song so much.....had I been a man I think i'd have requested that at my funeral!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqDj5CP3Kag

Sorry Nancy, feel free to remove or place somewhere else if appropriate

sodascouts
01-13-2011, 09:00 PM
Love that song! But you're right, we should carry this elsewhere. I know just the place...

ETA: Duly spirited to the Fleetwood Mac thread! ;)

Annabel
01-14-2011, 04:51 AM
Love that song. :nod: I'm not a huge FM fan but I do have an LP Rumours and a CD Tango in the night of theirs in my collection. :smile:

TimothyBFan
01-14-2011, 10:42 AM
I'm not a huge FM fan

Is this allowed on this board? Sorry Melanie, it was nice knowing you but you're about to be banned!! :hilarious: JK of course.

Carole--I haven't heard that forever. Thanks for the reminder.

Annabel
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
:stunned: :faint: I'll get my coat .................................... J K :laugh:

sodascouts
01-14-2011, 04:15 PM
Well, since you own two of their albums, I'll let it go. ;)

tequila girl
02-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Tonight on BBC4 for UK viewers

Peter Green: Man of the World
The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as the lead guitarist of Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, his former bandmates and the musician himself
Category Rock
Director Steve Graham
Producer Justin Ardalan-Raikes, Dougie Dudgeon, Henry Haddaway
Writer Steve Graham
BBC4 9:00pm-10:30pm (1 hour 30 minutes) Fri 4 Feb

Followed by

Fleetwood Mac - Don't Stop
Documentary looking back over the band's long career, from the early blues outfit led by Peter Green in the late 1960s, to their reincarnation in the 1970s with the line-up that went on to record the 40-million-selling album Rumours. Here, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks reveal the truth behind the successes, failures and relationships that have characterised their music and made them one of the most enduring acts in popular music
Category Documentary
Director Matt O'Casey
Producer Matt O'Casey
BBC4 10:30pm-11:30pm (1 hour ) Fri 4 Feb

WalshFan88
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
I would love to see that Don't Stop documentary... Hopefully it will go on YouTube soon!

Annabel
02-04-2011, 10:46 AM
Tonight on BBC4 for UK viewers

Followed by

:thumbsup: I'm ready with the recorder but will watch some hopefully too.

tequila girl
02-04-2011, 06:34 PM
Damn......I got a phone call half way through watching Peter Green: Man of the World and missed loads ...but what I did see was so sad....to me Fleetwood Mac have always been Peter Greens baby and it so sad to see what this fabulous musician and guitarist has become....basically a junkie that got to caught up in it all and couldn't find a way out.....

tequila girl
02-04-2011, 07:35 PM
The second one Fleetwood Mac: Don't stop has just finished!!!!!
Brilliant!!!, I wish i'd had some way of recording them..but I didn't :-(
Lots of insights into the comings and goings of the band over the years and meanings/feelings behind the songs that were written.....

tequila girl
02-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Ooooohhh Now it's Eric Clapton & Steve Winwood from Madison Square Garden in 2008 (probably shouldn't have put that here!)

tequila girl
02-05-2011, 06:38 AM
Here is the trailer for "The Peter Green Story" on You tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u12OogNvefA

it's available to buy at Amazon....guess where i'm off to?! :thumbsup:

tequila girl
02-05-2011, 06:41 AM
And here's Don't Stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOrNHvcKsw

WalshFan88
02-05-2011, 03:58 PM
And here's Don't Stop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUOrNHvcKsw

Darn...now that I've seen that I wanna see the rest of it! :hilarious: Someone best put that whole episode on YouTube or I'm gonna be REALLY mad! :D

tequila girl
02-05-2011, 04:03 PM
Darn...now that I've seen that I wanna see the rest of it! :hilarious: Someone best put that whole episode on YouTube or I'm gonna be REALLY mad! :D
Austin, the whole thing is on you tube parts 1-7

tequila girl
02-05-2011, 04:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=fleetwood+mac+don%27t+stop+do cumentary&aq=6

sodascouts
02-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Thanks, TG!

Peter Green's story is truly a tragic one. Mick Fleetwood has said that if he ever finds those people who gave Green that bad LSD, he'll make them rue the day. Still, I think Green's mental troubles cannot all be attributed to that one incident. Many geniuses seem to suffer from fragile mental states, it seems.

EagleLady
02-05-2011, 08:12 PM
I've never given a list of my favorite Mac Songs so here goes:

1. Over My Head

2. Landslide

3. Go Your Own Way

4. Don't Stop

5. Say You Love Me

WalshFan88
02-05-2011, 09:06 PM
Austin, the whole thing is on you tube parts 1-7

Wow thanks! :)

I feel dumb now for not looking! I thought it was a Teaser/Trailer/Preview.

Annabel
02-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I've watched all the 3 programmes from Friday night now and thoroughly enjoyed them. Love both the Fleetwood Mac shows and the SW and EC concert was amazing. :rockon: I recorded them but not in a way that can be shared. :thumbsdown: Sorry.

Wonder who is up next Friday. :hmm:

tequila girl
02-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Wonder who is up next Friday. :hmm:

Don't think i'll be watching this Friday....seems to be all Reggae :yuck: :depressed:

Annabel
02-06-2011, 03:18 PM
Ooh time to get me dreads on man. :lol; Thanks TG Might give it a miss too. ;-)

Annabel
02-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Lol. Mine are on the PVR hard drive thingy we have our TV through. DH thought it was a good idea and it is but we have never worked out if we can get stuff off of it. :laugh:

WalshFan88
02-07-2011, 05:18 AM
Lol. Mine are on the PVR hard drive thingy we have our TV through. DH thought it was a good idea and it is but we have never worked out if we can get stuff off of it. :laugh:

We have a DVR too (DVR and PVR mean same thing pretty much). I found a way to put videos off to a USB hard drive, but it isn't an officially supported way to do it. It's a lot of work and workarounds and little "hacks" to make it work.

Annabel
02-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks for that Austin. I think I'll give it a miss if it is difficult. :laugh:

Annabel
02-07-2011, 03:18 PM
I have some trivia I forgot to share.

When I was watching the Fleetwood Mac programmes I'd recorded, my DH said that when his brother was in Canada alongside one time, Fleetwood Mac went on board the R N ship (HMS Ariadne) he was serving on. DH only remembered it because the programme showed F M on the bridge of a ship and DH wondered if it was the Ariadne.

Mind you he couldn't tell me if his brother met the band :rolleyes:

WalshFan88
02-07-2011, 10:14 PM
Thanks for that Austin. I think I'll give it a miss if it is difficult. :laugh:

:hilarious:

TimothyBFan
02-24-2011, 10:10 AM
I mentioned in another thread about a book I'm reading called Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse.

On page 41, RE: Black Dog, Jimmy Page says: "I suggested how you get the breaks with the vocals. That's it, I've finally owned up, as no one else will in the band, but that was the idea to give it the vocal thing, then the riffs come in. I guess if you want to say that we leaned on something so far as the structure of it, you remember 'Oh Well' by Fleetwood Mac, where it stops and there's a vocal, so there you are...now they'll sue us!"

Pg 43, Gold Dust Woman, Mick Fleetwood says: "Stevie (Nicks) did her first vocal track of 'Gold Dust Woman' in a fully lit studio. The song needed both a mysterious power and a lot of emotionality. As take followed take, Stevie began to withdraw into herself, reaching inside for the magic. The lights were dimmed, a chair was brought in so she could sit, saving her strength at three in the morning, and she wrapped herself in a big cardigan sweater to ward off the predawn chill. An hour later she was almost invisible in the shadows, elfin under big headphones, hunched over in her chair, alternately choosing from her supply of tissues, a Vick's inhaler, a box of lozenges for her sore throat, and a bottle of mineral water. Gradually she gained total command of her song. On the eighth take, exhausted but exalted, she sang the lyrics straight through to perfection."

Prettymaid
02-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Wow, I love that song. Now whenever I hear it I'll think of that story!

WalshFan88
02-24-2011, 08:37 PM
Wow, I love that song. Now whenever I hear it I'll think of that story!

Same here!

sodascouts
02-26-2011, 12:43 AM
Love that story!

Prettymaid
02-26-2011, 11:47 AM
It's the way he tells it too. Who knew Mick Fleetwood could use words so descriptively!

WalshFan88
02-27-2011, 06:04 PM
So I was posting in PM's new "Happy Breakup Songs" thread and was talking about Fleetwood Mac. I've probably already posted in this thread but I am a big Fleetwood Mac fan. Especially Stevie and Christine.

My top 10 favorite FM songs are:

1. You Make Loving Fun
2. Dreams
3. Don't Stop
4. Go Your Own Way
5. Gold Dust Woman
6. Rhiannon
7. Landslide
8. Say You Love Me
9. The Chain
10. Little Lies

Now what do most have in common? Rumours. I LOVE that album. My favorite Mac album. I love Stevie, Christine, and Lindsey's songs on that album.

I mentioned in the other thread about Lindsey's guitar playing. He is very underrated IMO. His fingerpicking technique and the way he mixes rock solos and folk style fingerpicking acoustic guitar is unique and pretty much his own.

TimothyBFan
02-28-2011, 10:23 AM
Page 70 in my Classic Rock Stories by Tim Morse book.

Go Your Own Way-Stevie Nicks says: " Now, I want you to know-that line about 'shacking up?' I never shacked up with anybody when I was with him (Lindsey Buckingham)! People will hear the song and think that! I was the one that broke up with him. All he wanted to do was fall asleep with that guitar."

Edge Of Seventeen-Stevie Nicks says: "The line, 'And the days go by like a strand in the wind'-that's how fast those days were going by during my uncle's illness, and it was so upsetting to me. The part that says "I went today....maybe I will go again ....tomorrow.' refers to seeing him the day before he died. He was home, and my aunt had some music softly playing, and it was a perfect place for the spirit to go away. The 'white-winged dove' in the song is a spirit that is leaving a body, and I felt a great loss at how both Johns (her uncle and John Lennon) were taken. 'I hear the call of the night bird singing come away....come away...'"

Don't Stop-Christine McVie says: "'Don't Stop' was just a feeling. It just seemed to be a pleasant revelation to have that 'yesterday's gone' and it might have, I guess, been directed more toward John, but I'm just definitely not a pessimist."

Rhiannon-Stevie Nicks says: "I see her as a good witch. Very positive. I sing into that whole trip when I'm onstage.

The legend of Rhiannon is about the song of the birds that take away pain and relieve suffering. That's what music is to me, I don't want any pain...She is some sort of reality. If I didn't know she was a mythological character, I would think maybe she lived down the street."

TimothyBFan
04-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Don't know if anyone else has heard this. I'm listening to Sirius Classic Rewind and DJ just said it's rumored that Fleetwood Mac's Rumors will be featured on next week's episode of Glee.

Brooke
04-29-2011, 01:28 PM
I caught an advertisement for the next show the other night and they were singing Don't Stop, so maybe!

sodascouts
04-29-2011, 05:38 PM
That's right! Check it out!

http://www.tvfanatic.com/2011/04/glee-music-preview-a-tribute-to-fleetwood-macs-rumours/

That's one TV show I'll definitely be watching! I hope they do justice to one of the best albums ever made.

Prettymaid
05-02-2011, 08:47 AM
From the few times I've watched the people on that show have great voices so justice should be done!

luvthelighthouse
05-04-2011, 12:45 AM
I thought Lea Michelle did great with Go Your Own Way. It was my favorite of the night.

Jury is still out on Songbird... I'll have to watch again tomorrow. Don't Stop was pretty good too...

Prettymaid
05-04-2011, 07:48 AM
As I wrote in Stevie's thread, I liked them all!

Brooke
05-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Same here!

Freypower
05-13-2011, 07:25 PM
From the Guardian:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2011/may/13/fleetwood-mac-reunite-2012

Amazing that a few comments still wish for Peter Green. As if that could happen.

WalshFan88
05-14-2011, 01:17 AM
If Fleetwood Mac comes anywhere near me on the 2012 tour I will be there. HUGE Fleetwood Mac fan. Stevie Nicks' amazing voice, Lindsey Buckingham's great guitar playing, Stevie Nicks' amazing outfits, Lindsay Buckingham's great guitar playing, Stevie Nicks' amazing.....Wait, did I mention Stevie Nicks yet?! :hilarious:

Prettymaid
05-14-2011, 08:25 AM
But what do you think of Stevie Nicks, WF? :hilarious:

WalshFan88
05-14-2011, 12:21 PM
But what do you think of Stevie Nicks, WF? :hilarious:

:heart::partytime::thud::drool::inlove::heybaby:

Hopefully the icons can do a better job of explaining it for me! :hilarious:

Prettymaid
05-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Congratulations Austin. I'll bet your the first guy who has ever got to use those smileys on here! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
05-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Congratulations Austin. I'll bet your the first guy who has ever got to use those smileys on here! :hilarious:
:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: