PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic City, NJ 6-09-07

Just Another Hired Hand
12-03-2008, 10:48 PM
:oops:Before you read the review, I must tell you since I wrote it I found out that Don does not play the drums when he performs solo. The reader should take my talk about being frustrated with a grain of salt... :) We have now seen the Eagles up close and performing three times this year since LROOE came out. I have also found a bootleg recording of EWTRTHW but it is of poor quality. I figure the members will apreciate the review...It was truly a great show. The review (originally posted on "Concert Reviews")follows:

Last night the wife and I satisfied our craving to attend an Eagles concert…sort of. We went to see Don Henley and his band at the Borgata in Atlantic City, N.J.
Ever since we came to possess Farewell I we have been faithfully checking the web site for Eagles dates but there is no sign of a tour any time soon. Last year we tried to get tickets for Glenn Frey at the Borgata but those tickets evaporated before we had a chance. In a stroke of luck we were able to get the Don Henley tickets 12 rows back, and two seats in from the isle. It is without a doubt one of the best shows I have seen to date.

The Borgata itself is a great place to see a show. As we drove into town from the Atlantic City Expressway we could not help but notice the huge banner of Don H. adorning the parking garage walls. The Borgata’s Event Center venue is nothing short of spectacular. It is a large room with a stage. According to one of the ushers it seats about 3700 persons. It is completely carpeted and is draped with curtains and fabric wall coverings. The sound was excellent.

The show was scheduled to begin at 8:00 PM. Don walked out on stage a few minutes after. The lights went down and then there was the unmistakable intro to Dirty Laundry. When the lights came up not only was Don standing center stage, but I immediately recognized Will Hollis, Michael Thompson, Scott Crago and Steuart Smith. I have come to respect and appreciate their unique musical talents from my many viewings of Farewell I. I immediately knew this show would be unforgettable.

Don was wearing a blue and white plaid flannel shirt. He was more animated than he was in Farewell I, but less than he was on the Inside Job. He let it be known early on in the show that he wasn’t feeling well. It could be heard in his voice. He made light of it by informing the audience, “I’m just waiting for the medication to take effect.” Then he added, “We’re all just waiting for the medication to take effect.” If anything, the gravel in his voice added to his singing in that his voice never cracked or faltered, just stayed smooth and even throughout.

He spoke to the audience before just about every song. He told the story of the original Sunset Grill, and then informed the audience, “If you’re ever going to California, the original is no longer there and I’ll save you the trouble… it’s not the same and the new one sucks!” He told the story of “The Last Worthless Evening” and how it was inspired by his attendance at a party with jack Nicholson. It started when he struck out with a pretty blonde actress. Even though many from the audience urged him to give it up he would not reveal the identity of the actress. He told a tale of “Witchy Woman” and insisted that it was not about Stevie Nicks. Then, in his fever he almost stopped my wife’s heart! Apparently he was confused about where he was playing because after he mentioned a few complimentary things about his fellow Eagle and he blurted out, “Glenn Frey will be here next week.” (After the show she had to confirm this at the box office and found out Glenn Frey was in fact appearing in Niagara Falls and not the Borgata. We found out that Don had just played Niagara Falls. I guess by this time the was the medication taking effect.

One of the evening’s surprises was Don performing a cover of the 80’ss Tears for Fears song “Everybody Wants to Rule the World”. His performance of it was so dead on I am surprised I cannot find it recorded anywhere. The performance really stoked the audience. The other surprise was that he did not once sit down at the drums. I have watched Farewell I so many times I was hoping to get to see him play the drums and sing but it just didn’t happen.

:partytime:The most entertaining thing that happened occurred when Don and the band performed “All She wants to Do Is Dance.” He started to sing then he cracked up laughing in mid verse when he looked out and observed a sea of humanity gyrating to the song’s rhythms. I mean every person in the place was on their feet and dancing, including yours truly (and it takes a lot to get me up dancing). Henley has a reputation for being a perfectionist. It shows in his stage show.

Here is the Set List:

Dirty Laundry/ Sunset Grill/ Witchy Woman/ New York Minute/ Everything Is Different Now/ One Of These Nights/ End of the Innocence/ Heart of the Matter/
Boys of Summer/ Everybody Wants to Rule the World/ All She Wants To Do Is Dance/ Life in the Fast Lane/ (encore) Hotel California/ Desperado.

Don’s band for the evening was Frank Simes and Steuart Smith on guitar, Lance Morrison on bass, Michael Thompson and Will Hollis on Keyboards andScott Crago on drums. I was surprised he didn’t use a horn section on stage like he did on “Live Inside Job” and the Eagles use on Farewell I.

On the whole the show was a triumph and frustration.:thumbsup: Triumph because we were finally seeing a living breathing Eagle live on stage. Don Henley and his band get five out of five stars for an incredible show.:brickwall: Frustration because we can’t figure if the Eagles are ever going on the road again. Glenn Frey, Joe Walsh and Don Henley are all touring solo.Don hinted at a new album, maybe later this year, but I’m growing skeptical. I mean on Farewell I he mentions they began work in 2001. They performed three new songs on Farewell I (One Day at Time, Hole in the World and No More Cloudy Days). But here we are mid 2007, and still no album. Usually new album means the band’s going on tour. When I web surf all I can find is rumor and innuendo. Is there an album coming? Time will tell.

DonFan
12-04-2008, 12:03 AM
Great review, JAHH--thanks for posting it.

I LOVE Don's solo shows. I have seen him solo four times and each time he just gets better and better. It is great to hear him tell all his stories about each song. I saw him twice in the summer of 2007, in back-to-back shows in Dallas and OKC, and he told that same story about Jack Nicholson and the beautiful blonde actress who wouldn't give either of them the time of day. (What an idiot that girl was!) He said he couldn't think of anything to say to her so he asked to bum a cigarette--"And I didn't even smoke," he added with a grin. He said she got a cigarette for him and stuck her arm out as far away as she possibly could. (Have I mentioned that this girl was an idiot?) Anyway, the story was cute and everyone laughed.

My favorite part of those two solo shows was a reworked version of End of the Innocence, where he sang the first verse very slowly, accapella (sp?), with his voice just soaring over the crowd--and it was absolutely gorgeous. <sigh>

eaglesvet
12-04-2008, 03:08 AM
Loved reading both of your accounts. The "storyteller" makes quite a difference in the enjoyment of a concert--adds just a little more "oomph." If anyone here has seen Springsteen in concert, you know what I mean. Some of his stories are legendary accounts of life on the Jersey shore. He even has one for "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" where he talks about the wind whippin' through the boardwalk.
Why can't Don be an Eagles storyteller if he can do it solo?:sigh:

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Great review Mike. I wish someone could find Don's version of Everyone Wants To Rule The World. I always liked that song. I've never seen any of the guys solo. I bet Don is fantastic.

DF-you are right --The actress was an idiot!! Duh!!!

EV-it is a shame he doesn't do more storytelling at the Eagles shows, but then I guess the concerts could turn out to be 5 hours--not that any of us would complain!

Troubadour
12-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the review! I found this from 2004:

http://www.eaglesfans.com/downloads/audio/requestewtrtw.mp3

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 08:42 AM
Whoo Hoo Troub-it will be downloaded onto my ipod by the end of the day!:grooving:

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the review. I love seeing Don solo as well, and it sounds like a great show!

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 10:50 AM
Oh, and here's an additional version of Everybody Wants to Rule the World with a little less crowd chit-chat, if you'd like to listen to it as well:

Everybody Wants to Rule the World (Newark 2004) (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/EWTRTWNewark2004.mp3)

Just Another Hired Hand
12-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Greetings Sodascouts...thanks for the post. Don H obviously enjoys performing this song. I'm surprised he never recorded it. It almost seems like it was written for him.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your review, JAHH. I am so bombed because I was going to go to that show, but I couldn't make it. I saw both Glenn and Joe do solo shows at the Borgata and they were both AWESOME! I have never seen Don solo, and I'm just crossing my fingers that I'll get another chance before too very long. However, when the Eagles tours are in full swing, the guys very rarely do solo shows. :pray: :pray: :pray:

Mrs Henley
12-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Great review! :)
I never saw a Don Henley solo gig live, I guess he didn't want to come to Europe :(

Freypower
12-05-2008, 04:47 PM
He has toured Europe solo, though. He did an End Of The Innocence tour there.

Mrs Henley
12-05-2008, 04:50 PM
Woooooo Thanks FP :D
*is going to search*

Stars
12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Great review, JAHH! I felt like I was there-sure wish I was-next time he tours I will be there!:nod:

Just Another Hired Hand
02-06-2009, 11:52 PM
I was surfing the net and just found this:

http://eaglesfans.typepad.com/summer07/2007/05/june_8_9_don_he.html

This is the original review I posted the day after the Henley concert in Atlantic City. Question for Nancy (Sodascouts): Is this site part of your Eagles network?

02-06-2009, 11:57 PM
JAHH - Don't know if Soda's online right now, but no, that site is not part of the Eagles Online Central network. Our Don Henley site is Don Henley Online (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/).

Just Another Hired Hand
02-07-2009, 12:00 AM
Thank you, Dreamer... Here, as redundant as it may be, is my original Henley review:

I just attended the Don Henley Show at the Borgata, June 9, 2007. What a great show!
Don came on Stage wearing a blue, white and black flannel shirt covered with a Tuxedo jacket and blue jeans. The set list included:
Dirty Laundry
Sunset Grill
Witchy Woman
New York Miniute
Everything is Different Now
Last Worthless Evening
End of the Innocence
Heart of the Matter
Boys of Summer
Everybody Wants to Rule the World
All She Wants to Do is Dance
Life in the Fast Lane
(Encore)
Hotel California
Desperado
He was accompanied by Steuart Smith (guitar), Scott Crago (drums), Michael Thompson (Keyboards) and Will Hollis (Keyboards). All of these musicians appeared on the Eagles 2004 Farewell I DVD. Additionally, Henley was accompanied by Frank Simes (guitar) and Lance Morrison (bass).
At the outset of the concert Don seemed to struggle with his voice, a fact he made note of saying, "I have a bronchial thing going on and I'm waiting for the medicine to take effect." This remark drew a big laugh from the audience to which Don added,
"I guess we're all waiting for the medicine to take effect"
Whatever was going on with his voice it didn't slow him down. He rose to the occasion with a near flawless performance from that point forward. He joked about how Paris Hilton knocked Anna Nicole right off the front page after he sang Dirty Laundry.
As he moved into "Last Worthless Evening" he told the story of how he had struck out with an unnamed blonde actress who is now married with kids. He described how Jack Nicholson struck out with the same woman and then did a "Jack" impersonation that made the crowd roar with laughter. He joked about the Sunset Grille and advised all in the audience if they ever go to LA not to go to the new Sunset Grille because it "sucks". After this he just went on, and sore throat and all, grinded out the songs that made the Henley hit machine. As he moved to the second song of the encore some one from the audience placed a guitar helium balloon that was weighed down on the stage. Henley laughed at this walked over,picked up the balloon and remarked, "you know, I was just talking with the guys in the band about how I wanted to get me one of them guitar balloons." which brought another round of laughter from the crowd.

I don't know why, but two days after I put this up they took it down. Over 1 1/2 years later it's back up...go figure

02-07-2009, 12:12 AM
You're welcome and thanks for another great review. I was supposed to go to that show, and wasn't able to make it. :ack: I still regret not going because I fear I may have blown last chance to see Don solo. I sure hope not. :pray:

eaglesvet
02-07-2009, 12:16 AM
I sure hope not either, because I'm right behind you if he plays on the East Coast!:pray:

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for reposing this, JAHH. I wish I could have been there!

Judy
06-09-2011, 06:52 PM
I can't believe I missed posting this on the anniversary!

This was the year I turned 50. Lisa from Fastlane helped me talk myself into going. As it turned out, they were in the seats next to me the first night. I decided to treat myself to a Don concert for my birthday. AC came up & I had a chance to go to two shows. I was ecstatic! I had only ever had one other plane ride in my life. I had one layover. When I got on the first plane and we got in the air, I started getting sick. All the way to Georgia (Yes, I had to fly from MN to Atlanta to get to Atlantic City!) I kept trying to figure out how I was going to get the rest of the way to AC to see Don without getting back on a plane. Finally I just talked myself into getting back on the plane. I kept saying, "Come on. It's Don. You HAVE to do it." I felt sick on that one, too, but I made it to AC without incident. The ride back was turbulent, but I must have been used to flying because I wasn't sick.

I actually went to both shows. The first show was the 8th. As far as Don, the first show was the better of the two. He gave it his all that night. I think he kind of ruined his voice for the second night. We got I Will Not Go Quietly as an encore the first night, but not the second. This was the first time I ever had such good tickets. My seat was fifth row, but really is was third row because it was the center section. I was in seat 3, just a little to the left of his microphone.

I get hot very easily. My face is usually red at a concert. I turn into some kind of furnace when people sit next to me, plus they already have it hot in there...so the music for Everything is Different Now starts. I go, "Oooh, I love that song!" I don't know if he heard me or it was just a coincidence, but he picked up the microphone and headed over & stopped right in front of me! You wouldn't know it from the stuff I say on here, but I'm really shy. Really! My life is an open book, but I'm shy in front of new people. Anyway, he was smiling and I was already smiling, but when he started smiling I started smiling wider, then he smiled bigger and I smiled bigger and he smiled bigger again and I smiled bigger again. You know the expression about your face cracking? I really thought mine was going to. Seriously. I felt like the edges of my mouth were going to crack. So as I said, my face was red, and every time he smiled bigger I could feel the heat getting more intense on my face. I kept saying to myself, "Look away, Don. Just look away. No, don't look away!" :smitten: He sang the first four lines of the song while looking at me. I think he had to walk away. He looked like he was going to laugh if he stayed there any longer. That was way cool. And the music was just awesome. I have the bootleg to prove it. I just love Scott on the drums! He does some kind of a double beat or something on HC. Don's band can do that song just as well as the Eagles any day.

As I said, the next night Don's voice wasn't so hot, and my seat that night was not in front of him. As it turned out, it was in front of Frank Simes, and I was in the second row. I've got to tell you, looking at Frank Simes creeps me out a little bit...but I had so much fun that night! He was so engaging to the audience and it was a blast dancing to his guitar playing. I don't know a thing about guitar playing, but I know what I like. There's a long since gone YouTube video from around Oracle time last year that just happened to land on my computer somehow. It's one of the best performances of EWTRTW I have ever heard. It's one of the best endings I have ever heard Frank do to the song. One day I was watching it and I noticed one on his guitar strings was broken! I am still wondering how the heck he played that ending, and so well! He had a broken string that night, too. He gave the signal to the guitar tech and no one came. He looked around a bit trying not to be obvious, but he couldn't see that far behind him. When he looked back, he looked at me, and I looked to his side & shook my head no to let him know no one was coming yet. He gave the signal three times before someone finally came. Just as the tech was finally getting there, Don noticed he wasn't getting any guitar from Frank. It was quite a while. I bet the tech got a chewing out from one of them.

Anyway, I had a great weekend. I went to two Don Henley concerts, found out that I can't live without really good seats, met a bunch of Eagles fans, and learned some things about Don Henley I didn't know prior to that.

Oh, I almost forgot! We went to the B Bar, I believe was the name of it, at the Borgota. A bunch of us had met up after the concert & gone there. We were taking up quite a big area. Really areas. Some people started leaving and we started moving out of one of the areas. I was still sitting at the edge of the area, though. They started roping it off. We were all excited thinking the whole band was coming down. As it turned out it wasn't for them. It was for James Gandalfino (?)--Tony Soprano. They had just in the last week or so played the final episode. His "brother-in-law" Bobby was there. I can't remember who else, but there were 8 or 10 guys. People in the bar were lining up to congratulate him. I got a little bored watching that. By the time I looked back the line was gone, and it was the 8 or 10 guys and lots of cute, young girls.

sodascouts
06-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Sounds like a wonderful experience - thanks for sharing it!

07-16-2011, 02:28 PM
Wow Judy - somehow I missed this thread when you first posted your review. I just now saw it and it was definitely worth reading. I was supposed to go to those shows, but something came up and I couldn't make it (I can't remember what exactly). That is so cool that you got that Dontact and it's so fun to meet up with other hardcore fans. Way to go!!!