PDA

View Full Version : Long Road Out of Eden Receives Four Grammy Nominations

Ive always been a dreamer
12-04-2008, 02:48 PM
WOW - I am super excited!!!! I just got a CMT alert that said the Eagles have received four grammy nominations for Long Road Out of Eden. Interesting that I got the alert from CMT since none the nominations were in the country category. Here is the CMT link:

http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1600679/robert-plant-and-alison-krauss-george-strait-among-leading-grammy-nominees.jhtml

I then went to the Grammy site and here they are:

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
(For established duos or groups, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Waiting In The Weeds
Eagles
Track from: Long Road Out Of Eden
[Eagles Recording Company II]

Best Pop Instrumental Performance
(For solo, duo, group or collaborative performances, without vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

I Dreamed There Was No War
Eagles

Best Pop Vocal Album
(For albums containing 51% or more playing time of VOCAL tracks.)

Long Road Out Of Eden
Eagles

Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals
(For duo, group or collaborative performances, with vocals. Singles or Tracks only.)

Long Road Out Of Eden
Eagles

BTW if you want to see what songs they are up against, here is the link to the Grammy site:

http://content.grammy.com/grammy_awards/51st_show/list.aspx

Congratulations Eagles!!!!

sodascouts
12-04-2008, 03:00 PM
Wow, what a honor! I sure hope they win at least one of these. So awesome!

TimothyBFan
12-04-2008, 03:05 PM
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: :applause::applause::cheers:

Troubadour
12-04-2008, 03:15 PM
This is fantastic news! Congratulations to the guys & LROOE. Glad it's getting the recognition it deserves. Fingers crossed that they win something.

ticky
12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Wow! Just being honored in this way is incredible!! Im so proud of them! and they SO deserve it. but.. please please PLEASE tell me Rascal Flats IS NOT nominated??? :pray:

12-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Again, this is just AWESOME! What I think is particularly impressive about it is the fact that the Grammy organization seems to be recognizing and honoring the band's exceptional versatility. Remember that last year 'How Long' was nominated and won in the category of Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals. Now, this year 'Waiting In the Weeds' gets a nod for Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals, and 'Long Road Out of Eden' is nominated as Best Rock Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals. Then, the icing on the cake is that the album gets nominated for Best Pop Album. How many bands can claim this???

Freypower
12-04-2008, 06:04 PM
This is excellent. I am particularly surprised and pleased at the nomination for IDTWNW. Of all the songs, that's the one it never occurred to me might receive a nomination. I do hope they win.

Incidentally, my WireImage alert had Don Felder attending the Grammy nominees concert. I will post a photo later.

Glennsallnighter
12-04-2008, 07:00 PM
That indeed is wonderful news. Congratulations Eagles :applause::applause::applause::applause::applause: . I personally hope too that IDTWNW can carry off the top honours. It is one of my alltime favourite pieces of music.

eaglesvet
12-05-2008, 11:17 PM
That's incredible news--I'm so excited! Especially for Waiting in the Weeds, which is my (and many others' ) favorite song from the album! And I agree that IDTWNW is a surprise, but could very well win. That category sounds like one they just list the winners of, but don't actually present on the show, though...I guess we'll have to see. I certainly hope the boys will be able to attend this awards show!!

12-05-2008, 11:38 PM
It would be great if they were to all appear at the awards ceremony, but I'm not totally counting on it. They don't usually attend these shows, although they have broke with tradition and attended the last two CMA ceremonies. Anything is possible. The ceremony is in L.A. (at the Staples Center) on Sunday, February 8th. Glenn could attend and still play Pebble Beach which officially starts on February 9th. However, as many of us know, he has not confirmed that he is playing that as of yet either.

SweetHolly
12-10-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm glad they've been nominated. Hopefully with that many nominations none of them will have the "Bobby Kimball (of Toto) leg" from when they were nominated for Toto IV.

Peekaboo
12-11-2008, 07:07 AM
It would be great if they were to all appear at the awards ceremony, but I'm not totally counting on it. They don't usually attend these shows, although they have broke with tradition and attended the last two CMA ceremonies. Anything is possible. The ceremony is in L.A. (at the Staples Center) on Sunday, February 8th. Glenn could attend and still play Pebble Beach which officially starts on February 9th. However, as many of us know, he has not confirmed that he is playing that as of yet either.

Although it's very doubtful that they'll attend but it would be so wonderful to see them at the Grammys. Maybe since they've broke tradition a bit and have done the CMAs that the new tradition is to attend these kind of ceremonies. Here's hoping with fingers crossed. :pray:

sodascouts
12-11-2008, 10:06 AM
I really hope they break with their former tradition and attend. I think the CMAs were largely about song promotion rather than a sudden desire to attend award shows (especially since they knew that odds were that they would lose), but the Grammys... that's a whole 'nother animal.

Yeah, in the seventies, they blew it off - but they were young then and I think they figured it wasn't "cool." Now they're older and perhaps they appreciate what an honor a Grammy is. The songs recognized - Waiting in the Weeds, I Dreamed There Was No War, Long Road Out of Eden - are songs they're very proud of... not to mention the album nomination. Plus, they have a good chance of winning at least one, I think. Acceptance speeches are great opportunities to thank people who mean a lot to you.

When Hotel California was nominated for Album of the Year, they almost came, but rumor has it that the reason they didn't was because the Grammy committee wouldn't guarantee that they would win. They said "Either guarantee it or we don't show up." The Grammy committee refused, and true to their word, they didn't come. Fleetwood Mac's Rumours wound up winning Album of the Year, but the song "Hotel California" won the Grammy for Best Record. Oh well! I think they're too mature for such pettiness now.

Prettymaid
12-11-2008, 03:07 PM
One would hope so Soda!

eaglesvet
12-13-2008, 12:30 AM
IF this truly is their last album as Eagles, they should realize that this would be their last chance to be honored at the Grammys for the fruit of their group efforts. (Other than some honorary award when they are 90 years old or something.) That alone should be enough of a reason to get them to attend. They do have a great shot at winning at least in one if not more categories, IMO!

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:16 PM
Posted in the other thread but it deserves a repost here!

I DREAMED THERE WAS NO WAR won Best Pop Instrumental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS GLENN AND THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!!

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Apparently the pre-show will be available on demand here (http://grammy.com/grammy_awards/GRAMMY_Live.aspx).

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Just watched the pre-show segment - the guys weren't there. Don't waste your time!

Brooke
02-09-2009, 10:50 AM
I would have thought they would have been there. They are off touring and 4 nominations? :-?

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 10:59 AM
Especially since it's been so long since they could've been up for any Grammys! And with such stellar work! I applaud IWTWNW, but wish WITW had also won!

MikeA
02-09-2009, 11:34 AM
I like "War" but am shocked that it won a Grammy. The song is simplicity incarnate. Single, Slow guitar lead with an orchestra laying a background.

It's like "Hmmm, we should recognize the Eagles for something, but don't know what? Let's give 'em "I Dreamed There Was No War".

Certainly, I think there were much better compositions on LROE. Maybe it's just that there aren't that many purely instrumental offerings?

Hey, I'm not ragging on the Eagles or "IDTWNW" at all. Just surprised that that particular song took a Grammy with all the others that failed to register on those making the decisions.

Maybe the Grammys last night were just an indication of the "tastes" of the majority of those who appreciate music. I guess "we" are just in the minority.

02-09-2009, 12:14 PM
First of all, like most of us here, I would have loved for the Eagles to sweep all of the categories they were nominated in. Actually, I think they should have been nominated for several other awards. Realistically though, I was thinking that they may win two out of the four, so I am somewhat disappointed as well. But if you count last year's win for How Long, then they received two Grammy's for LROOE. If you put it all into perspective and consider that Hotel California is the only other album that won two Grammy's, I guess that it's a pretty darn good accomplishment after all. So ....

Congratulations -
I Dreamed There Was No War!!!

I like "War" but am shocked that it won a Grammy. The song is simplicity incarnate. Single, Slow guitar lead with an orchestra laying a background.

It's like "Hmmm, we should recognize the Eagles for something, but don't know what? Let's give 'em "I Dreamed There Was No War".

Mike - I've gotta disagree with you here. This is the one category that I was really confident they would win. I always thought that this beautiful composition was vastly underrated, even by many of the hardcore fans (probably because of it's length). IMHO, sometimes simplicity is a very good thing and this is one of those times. As Glenn said when he performed it in Niagara Falls, he wrote it "to allow the mind to rest after Long Road Out of Eden", and it serves that purpose beautifully to these ears. I've often wondered if I would love the song as much as I do if I hadn't seen Glenn perform it live with all his heart and soul. Obviously, I can't say for sure, but I think the answer is 'yes'. In any event, I haven't been able to figure out for the life of me why they haven't been playing this on the LROOE tour. So now that it has won a Grammy - CAN WE PLEASE ADD THIS TO THE SET LIST, GLENN???

Maybe the Grammys last night were just an indication of the "tastes" of the majority of those who appreciate music. I guess "we" are just in the minority.

Hmmm - not sure I agree with this either. I think it has to do much more with what's currently in vogue than what is the best music. Although, I will say that, in general, this is probably less true of the Grammy's than it is of other music awards.

MikeA
02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Somehow, I sorta figured that would be misunderstood. It's NOT that I don't like IDTWNW. Fact is that I am working one that one myself on guitar.

It's just that when I think of Grammy material, I don't think of that particular tune as being outstanding enough to receive a Grammy considering the other work on the album that I thought was more monumental.

The only other "instrumental" work I recall the Eagles doing is "Doolin Daltons" the instrumntal version off the 'Desperado" album. Great banjo and guitar duet on that one.

Or I think of the Hendrix version of the Star Spangle Banner played at Woodstock in '69. Or maybe "Walk Don't Run" or "Pipeline" by the Ventures. Those are "classics" that I think will be remembered for ages. Somehow, I don't see IDTWNW in that same category.

Ahh well, I'm just digging deeper aren't I <smile>. I meant absolutely no disrespect to the Grammy winning song.

ticky
02-09-2009, 01:39 PM
I understand where you're coming from Mike, but perhaps the reason it is such a beautiful song and DID win was because of it's simplicity. Those other songs you mentioned are, in fact, really amazing and wonderful examples of instrumentals, but I think some of the most beautiful and expressive, emotionally evoking songs are the simplest. They tend to hit an emotional chord via its simplicity and vulnerability that the more complicated songs seem to have to work at.
Just MHO *G*

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 01:45 PM
I would have thought they would have been there. They are off touring and 4 nominations? :-?

I guess they thought since the awards weren't televised, it wasn't worth their time. Don is probably in Texas, after all. I do wish Glenn had made it, though. He lives in LA and IDTWNW was his baby.

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Mike, you're certainly entitled to your opinion. I just don't think we should rule out a song as "outstanding" based on its complexity alone. Sometimes, simplicity can be far more effective a musical choice, depending on the mood you want to create.

The only other "instrumental" work I recall the Eagles doing is "Doolin Daltons" the instrumntal version off the 'Desperado" album. Great banjo and guitar duet on that one.

Actually Bernie Leadon's "Journey of the Sorcerer" off of One of These Nights was another stand-alone instrumental - perhaps one you'd like better, as it certainly was more complex (you can hear a live version here (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/MP3/JOTSBoston75.mp3)). There was also the "Wasted Time Reprise" from Hotel California.

MikeA
02-09-2009, 02:09 PM
:drool: One of these days, I'll learn to keep my opinions to myself :steviesmack:

I suspect that the Eagles were caught a little off-guard too else I would imagine that they would be performing on the current tour. I think they could get the "orchestra effect with strings" from their "brass" section. Maybe they will start performing it now.

02-09-2009, 02:12 PM
First of all, Mike. You know how it works around here - everybody's entitled to their opinion. We're not ready to lynch you just yet! :wink:

Ticky, you did a much better job of explaining what I was trying to say. I know that even most of the hardcores don't share the same passion for this song as I do, but, I absolutely love the stark contrast between the short, simplicity of this instrumental and lengthy, complexity of Long Road Out of Eden. Maybe I'm reading too much into the song but I think it is a perfect conclusion and equally as brilliant in it's purpose as LROOE. I personally love LROOE too, but I agree with ticky that others may perceive LROOE as 'trying too hard'. Even though, I don't agree, it's possible that the length and complexity of the song may have worked against it in the Grammy voter's minds.

ticky
02-09-2009, 02:17 PM
First of all, Mike. You know how it works around here - everybody's entitled to their opinion. We're not ready to lynch you just yet! :wink:

*putting away the noose and kicking over the stool beneath the hangin' tree..*

yet.... :twisted:

MikeA
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh come on! Dang--it Ticky! I tried my best to stir something else up here. It ain't fittin' that you take away the noose and stool from the hangin' tree after IABAD took all the time to string it up!

TimothyBFan
02-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Just received this google alert...

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/grammy-red-carpet-news-diamond-snoop-sugarland-1003939791.story

02-09-2009, 03:50 PM
Oh come on! Dang--it Ticky! I tried my best to stir something else up here. It ain't fittin' that you take away the noose and stool from the hangin' tree after IABAD took all the time to string it up!

Yeah ticky - Mike might actually be right about this. Maybe we oughta leave that rope dangling. You know, the thing is that there are some that would hang themselves if left to their own devices. But, I don't think Mike is that easy. He's much too shrewd to walk into that trap. :lol: :twisted:

ticky
02-09-2009, 04:09 PM
Mike's pretty easy *G*

MikeA
02-09-2009, 04:16 PM
Mike's pretty easy *G*

What is this, "Kiss and tell?"

But I do regret equating "simplicity" with being a criteria for deservedness of an award. There are "riffs" that are just a couple of notes...like Clapton's iconic riff in "Crossroads" (5 notes) or the recurring riff in "Layla" (4 notes). Or Walsh's signature Funk 49 intro (less than 10 notes) or "Fast Lane" (also under 10 notes). Yes, each of those mentioned are more "complex" in the actual playing of them, but in reality are fairly simple licks.

I think that rationalization for the award has to consider not just the stand alone value of the piece, but also how it integrates into the entire presentation of the work in which it is contained. From that standpoint, maybe it deserves more credence than I am giving it.

But even stand alone, it is "pretty".

Does anyone know which Pop Instrumentals "War" was up against? I may have to go to the Grammy program and see what was contending with it for the award.

ticky
02-09-2009, 04:23 PM
Pucker up baby! I got a book to write!!

Freypower
02-09-2009, 08:06 PM
I am very happy that IDTWNW won its category even if it apparently was a relatively simple category for it to win. The other nominations were as follows:

Steve Cropper & Felix Cavaliere - "Love Appetite"
Fourplay - "Fortune Teller"
Stanley Jordan - "Steppin' Out"
Marcus Miller - "Blast!"

The only thing that makes me slightly uneasy is that it is more a personal triumph for Glenn. The rest of the band barely feature on it.

It continues in the tradition of the Eagles' other Grammy awards. Apart from Record of the Year for Hotel California, they were:

Lyin' Eyes (best pop vocal)
New Kid In Town (best vocal arrangement, which we all know was by Glenn)
Heartache Tonight (best rock vocal)
How Long (best country vocal). Although this is a shared lead with Don Glenn sings the first and third verses.

I am proud of Glenn for these achievements.

Stars
02-09-2009, 08:21 PM
FP, I was very happy for the Eagles' win last night.
I must say, I LOVE your avatar. I can't seem to stop staring at it.:smitten::heart::heart:

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 09:57 PM
FP, I never realized how Glenn-centric the Eagles' Grammys are. He must be very proud of such critical accolades, especially considering how the band - and Glenn especially - so often is overlooked by critics.

Mrs Frey
02-10-2009, 07:33 AM
I've only just got to see this thread today for the first time (and I haven't been able to read everything yet), and GOSH, am I pleased! :blueblob: I missed the Grammy Awards last night when it was televised locally, but I wondered whether or not the boys had received any nominations.

I'm very happy for IDTWNW. It's a beautiful piece of music.

It is indeed fantastic that the Eagles' versatility is being recognised, what with being nominated in the instrumental, country, pop and rock categories (last year and this year). Versatility is so important, and is part of the secret of the Eagles' longevity, in my opinion.

It certainly seems that Glenn's :heart: talent has been noted by the Grammy authorities, but Don's talent has certainly also been recognised, what with nominations for WITW and LROOE, featuring his vocals.

I'd love to know what beat those two nominations to the post.:unimpressed:

MikeA, I haven't had the privilege of reading any of your posts since you joined The Border, since I've been away most of the time over the last few months. I must tell you, though, that I found your last post here very impressive. I'm a part-time musician and I've never found myself counting the notes! Overall, your thoughts are interesting, and they certainly have merit.

MikeA
02-10-2009, 09:14 AM
MikeA, I haven't had the privilege of reading any of your posts

Count yourself fortunate MF :doh: When I saw your lead into the paragraph I'm thinking...ugh-oh....I'm in trouble from yet another devotee! :shrug: Truth is, I'm a sweet lovable guy and everyone here just LOVES TO DEATH and who is a big supporter of the Eagles....but who has a bit of a different "bias" on admiration than the majority of the Fans who post here <LOL>.

Oh, and DON'T read the Felder thread. I would like to retain the privilege of your acquaintance.

I guess most might think "counting notes" is about like "counting heartbeats". (I won't say "counting freckles" cuze I caught myself counting some of those blemishes in a pic in the Walsh thread) They just happen and seldom are worth counting :guitar: Usually they aren't, but it's something you might think of if you are trying to pick out a riff from a song you like.

And seriously, I too like the tune ("War"). I've almost got it worked out and except for the two "triples" that occur just halfway into the melody. I can hit them, but they are a bit tough to hit "fast". Star Spangled Banner is a lot easier to play :jealous: because of those two notes.

(Rhonda, don't try it....it can be hazardous to your knuckles!)

I'm working on memorizing the lyrics to "War" but it's complicated and I never had a brain that could retain lyrics. :confused:

But if anyone is interested, I can post the "TAB" to it.

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2009, 10:41 AM
Well firstly from me a big

CONGRATULATIONS
to the Eagles and particularly to Glenn :heart: of course as it is one of his solo efforts. One I would LOVE to hear him do live some day. :pray:
Maybe the Grammy win will encourage him to include it on the tour set list somewhere (I know! Unlikely)
As regards playing it, IDTWNW is probably the only piece of music that I can play in full using TAB. I have worked at it for a while as I'm more used to strumming. Its a beautiful piece.

MikeA
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
IDTWNW is probably the only piece of music that I can play in full using TAB. I have worked at it for a while as I'm more used to strumming. Its a beautiful piece.

Good for you!!!!! I'm working on it.

02-10-2009, 02:14 PM
I'm working on memorizing the lyrics to "War" but it's complicated and I never had a brain that could retain lyrics. :confused:

Hmmm - maybe you are easy, Mike. You seem to be inching closer and closer to that dangling rope. :stunned: :lol:

MikeA
02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Hmmm - maybe you are easy, Mike. You seem to be inching closer and closer to that dangling rope. :stunned: :lol:

http://mvabercrombie.net/Emoticons/thumbs/thumb_x_j0424448.jpg

Freypower
02-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I've only just got to see this thread today for the first time (and I haven't been able to read everything yet), and GOSH, am I pleased! :blueblob: I missed the Grammy Awards last night when it was televised locally, but I wondered whether or not the boys had received any nominations.

I'm very happy for IDTWNW. It's a beautiful piece of music.

It is indeed fantastic that the Eagles' versatility is being recognised, what with being nominated in the instrumental, country, pop and rock categories (last year and this year). Versatility is so important, and is part of the secret of the Eagles' longevity, in my opinion.

It certainly seems that Glenn's :heart: talent has been noted by the Grammy authorities, but Don's talent has certainly also been recognised, what with nominations for WITW and LROOE, featuring his vocals.

I'd love to know what beat those two nominations to the post.:unimpressed:

MikeA, I haven't had the privilege of reading any of your posts since you joined The Border, since I've been away most of the time over the last few months. I must tell you, though, that I found your last post here very impressive. I'm a part-time musician and I've never found myself counting the notes! Overall, your thoughts are interesting, and they certainly have merit.

-Viva La Vida/Coldplay (beat Waiting In The Weeds)

-Sex On Fire/Kings Of Leon (beat Long Road Out Of Eden)

This is from undercover. com.au's 'list' of the 'complete' winners which, however, does not include the winner for Best Pop Instrumental. :doh:

Mrs Frey
02-11-2009, 02:11 AM
Count yourself fortunate MF :doh: When I saw your lead into the paragraph I'm thinking...ugh-oh....I'm in trouble from yet another devotee! :shrug: Truth is, I'm a sweet lovable guy and everyone here just LOVES TO DEATH and who is a big supporter of the Eagles....but who has a bit of a different "bias" on admiration than the majority of the Fans who post here <LOL>.

Oh, and DON'T read the Felder thread. I would like to retain the privilege of your acquaintance.

I guess most might think "counting notes" is about like "counting heartbeats". (I won't say "counting freckles" cuze I caught myself counting some of those blemishes in a pic in the Walsh thread) They just happen and seldom are worth counting :guitar: Usually they aren't, but it's something you might think of if you are trying to pick out a riff from a song you like.

And seriously, I too like the tune ("War"). I've almost got it worked out and except for the two "triples" that occur just halfway into the melody. I can hit them, but they are a bit tough to hit "fast". Star Spangled Banner is a lot easier to play :jealous: because of those two notes.

(Rhonda, don't try it....it can be hazardous to your knuckles!)

But if anyone is interested, I can post the "TAB" to it.

MikeA, you are an absolute hoot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

In all seriousness, though, I respect your knowledge of music, which is obvious. I'd like to hear you play.

I take it you've read my comments in the Felder thread. :wink: I haven't made it to that thread for a long time, but I'm guessing that you said some good things about him. :wink: :wink:

My take on Felder is simple: I have great respect for him as a musician, but I don't think much of him as a person. Anyone who does what he did to Glenn :heart: and Don loses my respect immediately. Glenn :heart: and Don are no angels, but neither is Felder, and there's no need to belittle people in public just because he is bitter with them.

Okay, end of rant. Don't worry, MikeA, whatever you said, you'll still have the pleasure of my acquaintance! :wink: There is room for everyone's opinions on this website. We're a pretty nice bunch here, I reckon! :nod: :nod: :nod:

Mrs Frey
02-11-2009, 02:12 AM
-Viva La Vida/Coldplay (beat Waiting In The Weeds)

-Sex On Fire/Kings Of Leon (beat Long Road Out Of Eden)

This is from undercover. com.au's 'list' of the 'complete' winners which, however, does not include the winner for Best Pop Instrumental. :doh:

Thanks for this, FP.

TimothyBFan
02-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Here's kinda a silly thing from Google alerts... This guy went to the Grammy's and blogged about it. I highlighted the part about Timothy. Sounds like Jean didn't think the guy should be sitting where he was or something. Hhmmm! I didn't put the whole thing here if you want to check it all out.

http://filmbugg.livejournal.com/172283.html

Sunday rolled around really fast. Sharon and I went to get coffee and talk outside. After that we went to get dressed, etc. We take a taxi about four blocks from the Staples Center. We show our IDs and Grammys letter. We are given a purple band for our wrist only to find out we are VIP. How?? And then taken to the Staples Center and escorted inside into the arena. The inside looked spectacular with the lighting and colors. Did you guys know that each seat is about $3,000-4,000? That's insane. We got them for free! Thanks Jackie! Once celebrities were piled in to sit at their designated seats, our escort took us to seat with them. I don't remember who Jered sat with, but Sharon and I were on 4th row in the center of the arena. We could literally see the stage and the colorful stairs. When I turned to my left to see who I was sitting next to I realized I was face to face with Timothy B. Schmit of The Eagles. His wife was sitting next to him, and asked if it was my seat. I said I was a guest on the VIP section, but that I'd move when the artists were going to move to present on stage. That's how Sharon, Jered and I were networking in presenting ourselves, etc. Anyways, I was also sitting behind Adam Lavine of Maroon 5. And behind us was Natalie Cole. How great was that? At the very front I saw Paul McCartney and his wife. Sharon pointed at him and smiled and he pointed back, smiled and waved. She was glowing. In that same row with him was Nicole Kidman and her husband. On the other side of the column was Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus and her mom. T.I was behind them. Zoey Deschanel was 5 rows back. We were right with the stars!

Then everything came into place and U2 kicked opened the show. Everyone started dancing. Taylor and Miley were grooving. The award show looked so much better live. I was not star strucked at all. They all looked normal. They're just known to the public. That's all. One of my favorites were Carrie Underwood, Coldplay, Jennifer Hudson, Katy Perry and Justin Timberlake's performances. On 2nd break everyone scattered around (artists who are going to sing or present an award leave commercial break and seat fillers sit in their seats). Sharon and I were still sitting in the same place. Taylor and Miley were walked out of their seats and as soon as they did that, thanks to Timothy of The Eagles, called out to Taylor to say hi to her. In that instant I put my hand out to give high five to both girls mouthing "you guys are awesome."

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 04:13 PM
There's just one thing wrong with that.... Paul Mccartney isn't Married anymore! :-x

TimothyBFan
02-11-2009, 04:24 PM
I know--and I also love the part about Nicole Kidman and "her husband":hilarious:. I bet if he'd been a woman, he would of know who Keith is!

MikeA
02-11-2009, 04:34 PM
I know--and I also love the part about Nicole Kidman and "her husband":hilarious:. I bet if he'd been a woman, he would of know who Keith is!

Y'all gotta cut us a little slack. Not many of us (myself included) have any idea who anyone is. Well, I mean, some of us know the Eagles and maybe "what's his name" Obama but I couldn't tell you his wife's name, nor the Eagle's wive's names except for "M" that Joe married and I only know that much of her name because a well known poster on the form here keeps referring to her as "M".

That not meant disrespectfully. Our minds just don't extend that far out of our immediate circles....and those circles are SMALL

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Y'all gotta cut us a little slack. Not many of us (myself included) have any idea who anyone is. Well, I mean, some of us know the Eagles and maybe "what's his name" Obama but I couldn't tell you his wife's name, nor the Eagle's wive's names except for "M" that Joe married and I only know that much of her name because a well known poster on the form here keeps referring to her as "M".

That not meant disrespectfully. Our minds just don't extend that far out of our immediate circles....and those circles are SMALL

We aren't meant to offend in anyway. Just saying they need to get their facts straight.

TimothyBFan
02-11-2009, 05:18 PM
BORDER QUIZ

match the husband with the wife

1. Don Henley

2. Glenn Frey

3. Joe Walsh

4. Timothy B. Schmit

a. Jean

b. Sharon

c. Marjorie

d. Cindy

Brooke
02-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Just in case you guys don't know what "her husband" looks like:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Urban/Grammys2008.jpg

MikeA
02-11-2009, 05:34 PM
BORDER QUIZ

match the husband with the wife

1. Don Henley

2. Glenn Frey

3. Joe Walsh

4. Timothy B. Schmit

a. Jean

b. Sharon

c. Marjorie

d. Cindy

Uh, I presume the numbers are the husbands? If so, can we be more specific as to which particular person the name of the numbers applies to?

I thought I'd cheat and google Don Henley, but got confused when I came across http://www.don-henley.com/ So I thought I'd better ask for clarification just in case you were not referring to the Don Henley that most of the googled links pointed to.

Joking Ladies!!!!!! Uh, I really don't know their names, but "M" must be Marjory. No, I mean C. must be M. I mean C must be Joe. Something like that.

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 05:36 PM
Uh, I presume the numbers are the husbands? If so, can we be more specific as to which particular person the name of the numbers applies to?

I thought I'd cheat and google Don Henley, but got confused when I came across http://www.don-henley.com/ So I thought I'd better ask for clarification just in case you were not referring to the Don Henley that most of the googled links pointed to.

Joking Ladies!!!!!! Uh, I really don't know their names, but "M" must be Marjory. No, I mean C. must be M. I mean C must be Joe. Something like that.

You can't get more specific than that.

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 05:56 PM
Sharon and I were still sitting in the same place. Taylor and Miley were walked out of their seats and as soon as they did that, thanks to Timothy of The Eagles, called out to Taylor to say hi to her. In that instant I put my hand out to give high five to both girls mouthing "you guys are awesome."

I don't get it!!??!! Did Timothy call out to Taylor, or did this guy call out to Taylor? :confused::headscratch:

sodascouts
02-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I didn't get that either, PM.

As for the quiz - answers are here!

1. b

2. d

3. c

4. a

Do I get a gold star? ;)

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Very good Soda. Maybe Mike would do better with pictures of the wives rather than just their names!

MikeA
02-11-2009, 07:07 PM
Very good Soda. Maybe Mike would do better with pictures of the wives rather than just their names!

I don't know PM. I'm thinking I'd better abscond from this. It'd be horrible if I made a mistake and put the wrong number with the wrong letter and ended up busting up the Eagles! And Joe's got him a bran spankin new one and ought to be able to stick with it longer than this!

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 07:13 PM
Well, I don't know if I'd call her brand spankin' new... she's got some creases in her!

MikeA
02-12-2009, 12:49 PM
Glennsallnighter,

You said you'd worked out "I Dreamed There Was No War" didn't you? Well, I've been playing around with it too.

Try this......emphasize the flats instead of sliding immediately off of them. Play it with a "shuffle" beat. Use the same notes, but really "blues out" the entire composition. That song morphs into a really cool blues tune!

It sounds good in Glenn's original format, but without adding any notes at all, just changing the beat and tempo and hanging out on some of the bluesy notes, you might be shocked at the result!

I'm gaining more and more appreciation for what he did with that melody!

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Hey! I'm NOT that good Mike, but I'll see what happens. Sometimes getting to the end of the piece without making blunders is an achievement in itself!

MikeA
02-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Hey! I'm NOT that good Mike, but I'll see what happens. Sometimes getting to the end of the piece without making blunders is an achievement in itself!

That's the beauty of it GAN. You have the notes. Just change the rhythm and the notes that you "hang on" or emphasize. Play around with it.

It's a good melody and good tune to yank around a bit.