PDA

View Full Version : Guns N'Roses

sodascouts
12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
So they FINALLY released Chinese Democracy. Any thoughts?

MikeA
12-07-2008, 07:48 PM
So they FINALLY released Chinese Democracy. Any thoughts?

Have you listened to it Soda? I haven't.

sodascouts
12-08-2008, 12:37 AM
I haven't listened to it yet, no - I was kind of hoping to get some opinions first!

TimothyBFan
12-08-2008, 09:41 AM
Here is a topic near and dear to my heart!!! I LOVE my GNR!!!! I bought Chinese Democracy the day it came out and it is really good. Ok --it's not the original GNR or anything but it is typical Axl Rose for the most part. His voice sounds great (IMHO). There are several songs on it that I love and a few not so much but for the most part it is pretty good. Really like Shackler's Revenge and Riad n' the Bedouins.I wasn't expecting it to be GREAT, because it just couldn't be, no matter what Axl chooses to call his band, it's not THE GNR. To me GNR will always be Axl, Slash, Duff McKagen, Izzy Stradlin and Steven Adler but of course that will NEVER happen again! I had to settle for Velvet Revolver for the longest time and now I have Chinese Democracy also. So I will just be happy with that. What other choice do I have?

hickfromhell
12-09-2008, 10:33 AM
I think its way over produced. It sounds clean...but just a little too clean. The GNR that I know had this raw live-type element on their studio records...and thats what I loved most about them. And my mentor in my studio production internship said it best, "after 14 years of working on a record, how many original takes do you think are actually on there?" In my opinion...most of the time its those original takes that make a record magical. Other than that....I feel the same way about Chinese Democracy as I do about Metallica's St. Anger record...and that is, If they called it by a different band name as to set it in its own category away from the other records...its a really strong album. Like you said TBF, it is definitely Axl Rose...but not so much GNR.

WalshFan88
11-30-2010, 04:42 PM
Any fans of GNR in the house? I really like the original Guns lineup (Axl, Slash, Duff, Steven, and Izzy).

My favorite albums are of course Appetite for Destruction (my fav) and Use Your Illusions 1&2 (close 2nd). My top 5 favorite songs from AFD are Paradise City, Welcome to the Jungle, Sweet Child o' Mine, Rocket Queen. I have 2 favorites from UYI, November Rain and Estranged.

I'm a fan of Slash's playing, especially on those albums. Velvet Revolver didn't do much for me. I don't have his new solo album yet so I can't make a judgement on it yet.

TimothyBFan
12-01-2010, 10:45 AM
Did someone say Slash???? Duff McKagan? Also loved Steve Adler! I'm with you about the lineup, don't like todays lineup. I don't feel that's Guns N Roses just because Axl is in it. Wasn't real happy when Steve was replaced by Matt either but I understand why they had to do it because of Steve's issues. He was (is) a mess.

So Austin, what do you think of Chinese Democracy? I went and bought it the day it was released and listened to it exactly 1 time. Wasn't too impressed especially since I waited so long for it. Love Velvet Revolver and Slash's new solo album tho. Definitely great stuff there!!

If you haven't ever seen it, check out the dvd from Live At The Roxy. WOW!! They will just blow you away on it. The version of Rocket Queen on it is amazing. Steve about jumps out of his seat playing the drums on it.

Oh yeah, answer to your question...yeah, I'm a bit of a fan! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
12-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Did someone say Slash???? Duff McKagan? Also loved Steve Adler! I'm with you about the lineup, don't like todays lineup. I don't feel that's Guns N Roses just because Axl is in it. Wasn't real happy when Steve was replaced by Matt either but I understand why they had to do it because of Steve's issues. He was (is) a mess.

So Austin, what do you think of Chinese Democracy? I went and bought it the day it was released and listened to it exactly 1 time. Wasn't too impressed especially since I waited so long for it. Love Velvet Revolver and Slash's new solo album tho. Definitely great stuff there!!

If you haven't ever seen it, check out the dvd from Live At The Roxy. WOW!! They will just blow you away on it. The version of Rocket Queen on it is amazing. Steve about jumps out of his seat playing the drums on it.

Oh yeah, answer to your question...yeah, I'm a bit of a fan! :hilarious:

I didn't like Chinese Democracy that well either. I just got today Slash's new album and it is really good. I dunno why I didn't like Velvet Revolver, maybe I'll like it better when they find a new singer. I'm not a Scott Weiland fan at all. He comes across as a..what's that word I'm looking for..starts with an A I think! :hilarious:

I don't have Live at the Roxy but you can bet I'll be looking for it now.

sodascouts
02-16-2011, 11:53 PM
A friend of mine posted this on his Facebook and I thought some folks here might appreciate it!

WARNING: CONTAINS CUSSING.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khNLvpTl-qU

TimothyBFan
02-17-2011, 08:28 AM
:rofl: That was horrible!!! :hilarious: They sure didn't do Steven any favors in that did they. I'm a dreamer and hope it would happen but it never will. Slash did get up on stage and perform with Axl and the new GNR a week or so ago without killing each other. Step in the right direction I guess.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-17-2011, 12:45 PM
:rofl: That was horrible!!! :hilarious: They sure didn't do Steven any favors in that did they. I'm a dreamer and hope it would happen but it never will. Slash did get up on stage and perform with Axl and the new GNR a week or so ago without killing each other. Step in the right direction I guess.

Well, after I saw another band reunite back in 1994 after a 14-year vacation, I now think anything can happen with groups reuniting. But, then, I've always been a dreamer. :wink:

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 12:47 PM

Wow Slash played with the band??? I thought it was Duff. Maybe I misread what I saw online. If he did, that's a big step in the right direction.

TimothyBFan
02-17-2011, 02:06 PM
You're right, I'm wrong. I've got Slash on the brain apparently. It was Duff in London in October or about that time. Which I can't believe he did with all the animosity between Slash & Axl, I thought it strange that Duff would go there. Know what I mean?

Slash made a comment awhile back that he would talk about a reunion if Axl ever apologized but Axl says no way.

Here's the vid of Duff showing up at that show. Looking good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoc87z9d4A

WalshFan88
02-17-2011, 02:28 PM
You're right, I'm wrong. I've got Slash on the brain apparently. It was Duff in London in October or about that time. Which I can't believe he did with all the animosity between Slash & Axl, I thought it strange that Duff would go there. Know what I mean?

Slash made a comment awhile back that he would talk about a reunion if Axl ever apologized but Axl says no way.

Here's the vid of Duff showing up at that show. Looking good!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAoc87z9d4A

Yeah as soon as I heard that I said to myself, "I wonder what Slash thinks of this". Slash said Axl has to make the call to him and apologize but of course Axl won't. It's a real shame they were a great band. If Axl could have just not had so many attitude problems. I don't see a reunion happening, but I'll be very glad if they do!

Topkat
12-17-2011, 09:19 PM
Duff joins Axl & Guns n' Roses on stage last night, hinting there might be a full Guns reunion. G&R did a full 3 hour show & Axl is in fine form:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/duff-mckagan-joins-guns-n-roses-seattle/

WalshFan88
12-18-2011, 09:25 AM
I'll be there if so! GnR is one of the last "new" bands I liked. Amazing band and I love their music.

Topkat
12-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Here's an interview Axl did about the upcoming R&R HOF induction & his relationship with Slash, who has yet to commit to appear at the award show.
It sounds like Axl does want the original members of G&R to appear together for the sake of the fans. Let's hope Slash will come to.:headbang:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-mixed-emotions-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-induction/

Topkat
12-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Slash not ruling out a G&R reunion!!! Sure hope this really happens:headbang:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-trying-to-put-axl-rose-feud-to-rest/

TimothyBFan
02-06-2012, 11:44 AM
I'm taking this as a good sign that maybe Slash & Axl will make amends, Slash wished Axl a happy birthday on his FB this morning.

Duff's bday yesterday, the redhead's today, Happy Birthday f****rs! iiiI; )'

There may be hope yet!!!

Topkat
02-06-2012, 12:27 PM
From what I hear, G&R are playing 3 shows in NY this week. It has not been announced that Slash will be at these shows, but hey you never know, he just may show up!!! Still debating if I should go to one of these shows:headscratch:

Topkat
02-18-2012, 11:21 AM
You can watch GUNS & ROSES LIVE SHOW, on Sunday night, 2/19 from Chicago for only $5.00 for a 2-3 hour show. Also, some of the money will go to a worthy cause to feed the hungry!!!! Great Deal.
LINK;

http://loudwire.com/watch-guns-n-roses-live-for-5/

TimothyBFan
02-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Pretty cool but 11 pm CT is midnight for me and when I get up at 5:30 on Monday morning, not gonna happen unfortunately. Thanks for the link!

Topkat
02-18-2012, 07:33 PM
TBF, yes it's late for me too, but many people are off on Mon. for the holiday, so I thought maybe some people may want to watch it. I decided to pass on the live shows here in NY, so it would be my chance to see what I missed. Certainly worth the $5. & the fact that some of the money goes to feed the poor is a nice idea.

sodascouts
02-19-2012, 12:12 AM
What a cool idea! If only the Eagles would do this!

Brooke
03-23-2012, 11:47 AM
Slash not ruling out a G&R reunion!!! Sure hope this really happens:headbang:

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-trying-to-put-axl-rose-feud-to-rest/

Slash says there won't be a reunion at the RRHOF induction:

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=712801

lizzyplays
03-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Even though I applaud GNR for the worthy cause, they are hardly what I consider GNR these days. :-( I personally, would never attend a show by the current lineup. It's just not GNR to me. I was fortunate enough to have seen them in their early years and I have those memories to last a life time. Slash epitomizes GNR more to me more than Axl does. That being said, Axl had a magnificent gift of a voice and I used to be in complete awe of him. But, he's completely nuts and I lost all respect for him, in the same way that he's never had respect for the millions of fans who made him what he is (the constantly being late for starters). Anyways, it's beating a dead horse. Same old stories that we all know already.

I am totally bummed that there will be no reunion at the RRHOF awards. :weep:

Topkat
03-23-2012, 03:33 PM
You know, I still think they may play together & decide at the last minute. They all can't be that bull headed that they can't get passed it for 2 songs...I mean please, How childish can they be? They are grown men & if the Eagles can do it, anybody can!

lizzyplays
03-23-2012, 03:41 PM
You know, I still think they may play together & decide at the last minute. They all can't be that bull headed that they can't get passed it for 2 songs...I mean please, How childish can they be? They are grown men & if the Eagles can do it, anybody can!

I know, right! Perhaps they aren't saying for certain to avoid any mass hysteria over it... I would be massively hysterical if I knew for sure. :-)

Topkat
03-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Yeah, maybe they just want to keep the suspense going & have a surprise for everybody!!!:thumbsup:
If they don't, it's going to really make them all look bad. I mean, it's not a tour, or even a show, it's like 1 or 2 songs!! They need to Get Over It!!!

TimothyBFan
03-26-2012, 09:34 AM
I hope you guys are right and it does happen but I just bet it won't. :worried:

lizzyplays
03-27-2012, 08:45 AM
You're probably right, because without the controversy continually stirring, Axl will eventually fall off the radar. It simply is NOT GnR with 1/5 of the original members! I could *possibly* fathom GnR without Slash (ok so not really) but, if it was 4 of the 5 original still in the band, but ONE? Oh blah, I'm just getting myself worked up all over again. The entire thing makes me mad. :cuss::censored: :enraged:

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Seriously, who doesn't think calling the current lineup GnR is a joke?! No one that I know! Why does he even bother to maintain the name?

Topkat
03-27-2012, 02:37 PM
There are plenty of groups that have 1 member of the original group and still use the name. Mostly bands from the 60's & 70's. It depends on who has ownership of the name, & it looks like AXL does, so he gets to use it. Most fans are already aware of it, so it's not such a big deal. Guns & Roses were from the 80's so, yes, the band members are going to be different. People know if they see G&R that it's not going to be the same & they won't be seeing Slash. Originally Guns n' Roses was named for Tracy Gunns & Axl Rose. Tracy left the band before they even became famous. He later formed the band the LA Guns.

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 02:46 PM
There are plenty of groups that have 1 member of the original group and still use the name.

That doesn't make it any less lame. JMHO!

Topkat
03-27-2012, 03:15 PM
It's obviously used for the name recognition. I don't really think it's lame. There have been several changes in band members over the years. I think Adler was kicked out shortly after Appetite for Destruction was released.

Topkat
03-27-2012, 03:26 PM
Wow, just reading up on Steven Adler. Did you know that DON HENLEY filled in for Adler at the G&R performance at the Jan 1989 AMA Award show, because Adler was in rehab at the time. Now, Henley playing with G&R, wish I would have seen that one!!:)

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 03:36 PM
It's on YouTube. You can't see Don very well except for a couple close-ups, but sure enough, that's him on the drums. He even sings a little backup at the end!

He's rockin' his late '80s look: long hair and sunglasses indoors. Don didn't even have hair that long in the seventies - unless you count the upward trajectory of his white man's 'fro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfIEKM-YsnY

Topkat
03-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Holy Crap, Soda, You ROCK girl. Thanks for finding that. I would have never known that was Henley if it wasn't listed. You can see him pretty good at 2.00 in the video. Wow, Who would have thought Don would be playing with these guys, an odd pair up. It's a small world after all!!

Windeagle
03-27-2012, 04:51 PM
Holy Crap, Soda, You ROCK girl. Thanks for finding that. I would have never known that was Henley if it wasn't listed. You can see him pretty good at 2.00 in the video. Wow, Who would have thought Don would be playing with these guys, an odd pair up. It's a small world after all!!

And I guess Axl returned the favor with backing vocals on "I Will Not Go Quietly." I heard that song for the first time in a long time the other day and it rocks!

Topkat
03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Yes, I think Axl sang on Don's song first though. Pretty funny. I kind of like Don's look here. I never saw his hair that long!!! Looks cooool:thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
03-27-2012, 07:08 PM
There are plenty of groups that have 1 member of the original group and still use the name. Mostly bands from the 60's & 70's. It depends on who has ownership of the name, & it looks like AXL does, so he gets to use it. Most fans are already aware of it, so it's not such a big deal. Guns & Roses were from the 80's so, yes, the band members are going to be different. People know if they see G&R that it's not going to be the same & they won't be seeing Slash. Originally Guns n' Roses was named for Tracy Gunns & Axl Rose. Tracy left the band before they even became famous. He later formed the band the LA Guns.

Seriously? I TOTALLY disagree---I am a huge GNR fan and have been from the get go (there's a GNR tattoo involved to prove it) and I think it's a HUGE deal. I agree band members change but when ALL of them change but one, it's no longer the band but a cover band. As much as I love Axl's voice and don't feel that GNR could be GNR without his voice, I don't think it's GNR without a couple more members to go along with him. And I also think that the majority of GNR fans feel that way also and feel it's lame for Axl to continue doing it. Now that's not to say that I wouldn't like to see Axl solo but if I see GNR I want at least 3 of the original members in the band.

Topkat--I was wondering if you've read any of the biographies by Slash, Duff or Steven's? Steven's is so very, very sad and inspiring at the same time. He is very honest about how bad he got and has regrets but yet says he'd pretty much do it all over again. He was the first one to say he'd be at any reunion as soon as he got a phone call. He delves into the Don Henley thing and how he left the band. All the versions of it in all 3 books pretty much tell the story the same way only from each of their points of view. If you haven't read these---please do. I am a rock biography junkie and read them all the time and think Slash's is one of the best one's I've ever read.

Topkat
03-27-2012, 07:43 PM
Seriously? I TOTALLY disagree---I am a huge GNR fan and have been from the get go (there's a GNR tattoo involved to prove it) and I think it's a HUGE deal. I agree band members change but when ALL of them change but one, it's no longer the band but a cover band. As much as I love Axl's voice and don't feel that GNR could be GNR without his voice, I don't think it's GNR without a couple more members to go along with him. And I also think that the majority of GNR fans feel that way also and feel it's lame for Axl to continue doing it. Now that's not to say that I wouldn't like to see Axl solo but if I see GNR I want at least 3 of the original members in the band.

Topkat--I was wondering if you've read any of the biographies by Slash, Duff or Steven's? Steven's is so very, very sad and inspiring at the same time. He is very honest about how bad he got and has regrets but yet says he'd pretty much do it all over again. He was the first one to say he'd be at any reunion as soon as he got a phone call. He delves into the Don Henley thing and how he left the band. All the versions of it in all 3 books pretty much tell the story the same way only from each of their points of view. If you haven't read these---please do. I am a rock biography junkie and read them all the time and think Slash's is one of the best one's I've ever read.

No matter what anyone thinks about Axl using the Guns n' Roses name is not for the fans to decide. He has the perfect right to do so. Just because you want 3 of the original members in the band doesn't mean he can't use the name. This is what 25 years later. I mean seriously... Obviously since they don't want to reunite for the R&R HOF induction means that things are that bad between them. All I can say is then don't go to see them if you don't like it.

As for the bios, I have not read them. I would like to read the one by Slash, but the others I don't really care to read. As for Adler, well he is a very sad case. He's lucky to be alive. Yes, I'm sure he would love to reunite with them, because he has been a pretty much lost cause since then. In the bio's, do they mention that Adler almost killed Alx's then girlfriend Erin by giving her a drug cocktail that almost killed her????She almost OD'd along with Alder when they did drugs together. Axl said he then fired him. I would like to read Axl's bio if he does one.

It is what it is...Guns n' Roses are never going to return to the glory days. Not all bands can reunite & get over the past and it looks like G&R is one of those bands.

Topkat
03-30-2012, 11:41 AM
Steve Adler speaks out on G&R & Axl;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-labels-current-guns-n-roses-lineup-hacks/

lizzyplays
03-30-2012, 12:33 PM
I am a rock biography junkie and read them all the time and think Slash's is one of the best one's I've ever read.

I haven't read Duff's or Steven's yet, but I will put them on my list right now. I agree with Slash's though. One of the best I have read to date. I finished it and immediately started over on it again. It was just that good.

As for the GnR debate, it's amazing and cool at the same time, to still see the devotion of long time fans for the original line up. For me, it was that moment in time, and no, it can't be revisited, but there was nothing else like it and for me, never will be. They were the right band, at the right time, with the right sound, for the right period in my own personal life. They epitomized everything that I dreamed of as a kid that rock and roll was supposed to be. They were raw, loud, raucous and needed a bath. I LOVED them. :heart:

Topkat
03-30-2012, 06:13 PM
I only saw G&R once, I think it was in 88' at the Ritz in NY. What I remember about it was that Slash & Axl had no shirts on & it was a sweaty good time! I think I once saw some footage of this show on YouTube.
Yeah, they all needed a shower big time!:thumbsup:
I also remember not being able to take my eyes off Axl. He was quite a front man, especially in those days OMG

Topkat
03-30-2012, 10:33 PM
Steve Adler gives public apology to G&R;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-hacks-apology/

lizzyplays
03-30-2012, 11:16 PM
I only saw G&R once, I think it was in 88' at the Ritz in NY. What I remember about it was that Slash & Axl had no shirts on & it was a sweaty good time! I think I once saw some footage of this show on YouTube.
Yeah, they all needed a shower big time!:thumbsup:
I also remember not being able to take my eyes off Axl. He was quite a front man, especially in those days OMG

You saw the very concert that I caught on tv, late one night of some 'unknown' band I had never heard of. A few weeks prior to that showing, I was in the record store (remember those??) and I was always up for something new to listen to. I thumbed through countless unknowns in the hard rock section and settled on something called Guns N' Roses. The name was cool and catchy. Let's check this out. I got home and was FLOORED by the music. Then to find out the SAME singer was lead on all the songs??? How could that be? Such range and so much variation in his voice. Needless to say, I was HOOKED. My friends, who were all at the point of living the 'perfect marriage, white picket fence, lets have babies" stages were horrified by new found music. They quit coming over for awhile because that was all I was playing. My husband's parents were out of town and we were over at their house, they had cable tv. Flipping through about 4am, there on MTV I heard a familiar noise. It was a bit sloppy, out of tune but it was balls to the wall and I recognized it immediately. Yep, it was my new band I had discovered, GnR! I was elated, mesmerized (hubby was not nearly impressed as I was... *shrugs*). This cemented my love for them even more. I was buying EVERY magazine I could get my hands on. I was a hairdresser and the walls of my shop were immediately covered in posters. Even the ceiling had a life size poster of the entire band. (I didn't do old ladies hair lol) But, like you, I was addicted to them like a bad drug habit. I loved Axl and Slash both and back then, yes, I thought Axl was the greatest front man to come along in years. And to me, Slash just oozed sex appeal. I think it was the sweat. lol And the guitar work. He was brilliant. Ok, I should hush now. :smokin::blush:

Topkat
03-31-2012, 09:11 AM
I posted 2 videos from this show on my FB page last night. I didn't even know that this show was on video. I ended up there quite by accident, as I didn't even have a ticket, but everyone was buzzing about this show all over the city. Me & some friends went down there to see what was going on & we got in. It was just crazy in there. HOT & SWEATY!!! The fans were just going NUTS!

WalshFan88
03-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Just read my copy of "Reckless Road" today. It's actually more of a picture book than anything, but includes stories about most of the photos and all of that. Was recommended to me by someone on the Les Paul guitar forum - I like it. It's full of great photos. It was "written" and the photos were taken by Marc Canter - a friend of Slash's since the beginning.

lizzyplays
04-01-2012, 11:05 PM
I'm going to have to buy that! If my memory is correct, Slash mentions Marc in his book and talks about the photos being made into a book.

WalshFan88
04-02-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm going to have to buy that! If my memory is correct, Slash mentions Marc in his book and talks about the photos being made into a book.

Yup! Reckless Road is definitely worth the purchase. Tidbits of info about the band thrown in with really good photos from their early days forward.

There was a debate on the Les Paul forum about the year Slash's AFD recording guitar was made and that's what made me buy it because it shows hi res pics of it in there and you can find more info about it. In the guitar world there is so much hoopla around that '59 Les Paul replica and that Marshall amp Slash used on the record and trying to find out all about it. I never got that deeply into researching it but there are some on there that spend all of their days trying to figure out the exact gear used on that recording.

TimothyBFan
04-02-2012, 07:34 AM
Marc was a CONSTANT in all their lives and they all mention him several times in their books. He was one of Slash's best friends and if memory serves me, Slash introduced him to everyone else. It was his father than ran a deli that they frequented and were allowed to practice in their garage.

The Ritz show is infamous. If you haven't ever seen the video of it, watch it. It's a bit grainy but it's worth it. They were in top form that night.

As for Slash oozing sexy..... couldn't agree more. Everything about him to me was rock n roll! One of the earliest memories of him was the whole hip swing during Rocket Queen.... OMG--- I would rewind and rewind and watch again. YUM!!!!

Lizzy- you cracked me up with the "needed a bath" statement. :hilarious:

As for the bios, I have not read them. I would like to read the one by Slash, but the others I don't really care to read. As for Adler, well he is a very sad case. He's lucky to be alive. Yes, I'm sure he would love to reunite with them, because he has been a pretty much lost cause since then. In the bio's, do they mention that Adler almost killed Alx's then girlfriend Erin by giving her a drug cocktail that almost killed her????She almost OD'd along with Alder when they did drugs together. Axl said he then fired him. I would like to read Axl's bio if he does one.

Yeah--they mention it and about 100 other similar incidents. None of them were innocent including Axl.

As for Steven being a lost cause, he knows that and admits it. He also says that the only really good thing in his life was his years with GNR and he knows he f'ed up BIG when he continued with the drugs. He was doing what all the rest of them were doing but not handling it quite as well as the rest of them were able to. And the way he was pushed out of the band is and always will be a sore spot, not only for him but Duff and Slash also. They both say it was handled all together wrong.

Again, you might want to read all of the books, they really delve into all of it and for the most part, all the facts are pretty much the same in all 3 of the books. You might also feel a bit differently about Steven. I came away feeling sorry for him but also happy because he genuinely pretty much says he wouldn't change a thing and it was all worth it.

lizzyplays
04-02-2012, 10:42 AM
One of the earliest memories of him was the whole hip swing during Rocket Queen.... OMG--- I would rewind and rewind and watch again. YUM!!!!

Thanks for prompting me to go watch that. Again. And, again. :drool:

Topkat
04-04-2012, 11:53 PM
Green Day to introduce G&R into the R&R HOF
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-tap-green-day-for-hall-of-fame-induction/

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Listening to Classic Vinyl on Sirius and the DJ just said that Axl just told some interviewer that he "will not, in the lifetime, perform with Guns N Roses".

:censored:

WalshFan88
04-10-2012, 02:51 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-comments-on-idea-of-guns-n-roses-reunion-tour/

What a crock of $hit..... You think they could at least pull it together for the induction. But it doesn't even sound like that is possible at this point.

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 03:02 PM
"Rose’s crystal-clear reply? “Not in this lifetime.
The acrimony between Axl and the rest of the guys is legendary, and with Slash (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tags/slash/) recently saying Rose “hates his guts (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/slash-says-axl-rose-hates-my-guts/)” and Steven Adler (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/tags/steven-adler/) calling the new GnR members “hacks (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-labels-current-guns-n-roses-lineup-hacks/)” and “scabs (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/steven-adler-calls-guns-n-roses-scabs/),” it doesn’t seem like anyone’s anxious to kiss and make up. And since questions still remain over whether Izzy Stradlin and Rose will even appear at the Hall of Fame induction, we’ll be pretty surprised if the whole gang is even willing to share the stage long enough to accept the honors before they go back to sniping at one another."

What a wanker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :steviesmack:

WalshFan88
04-11-2012, 05:43 PM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-open-letter-rock-hall-of-fame/

:-x

Topkat
04-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Well, I do give Axl credit for making a statement & he is very clear about the whole thing. I guess there should be no more speculation of a reunion. He has his reasons, he stated his case. It's over period. End of story. I'm glad he gave his explanation, so people won't expect him there. Everyone just has to accept it, It is what it is.

lizzyplays
04-11-2012, 11:23 PM
What a drama queen! I personally, think he's milking this for attention and publicity. He'll never earn the respect that Slash has earned in the music industry. Some may say he doesn't care and is laughing all the way to the bank, but I suspect that he DOES care no matter how much money he makes or may make in the future. He strikes me as one of those people who need constant reassurance of their greatness and superiority and likes having people jump through hoops to get to him, and/or do for him. As far as I know, there aren't that many prestigious (or not) musicians asking to work with him, nor have they... not to the extent of Slash's musical resume.

Of course, this is all just my take on the whole thing but I have been an avid GNR addict some before they were a household name and they were *THE* band of my time. Axl used to be the reason I loved this band so much but it didn't take me long to sort things out once they moved past the Appetite album and I realized that Slash was what rock and roll was all about.

I just got home and read the article in my email then came here and posted my feelings. I'm a bit tired, so I may have rambled and not made a lot of sense. Sorry!

Topkat
04-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Did you really expect AXL to sing with them after that crap that Steve Adler was saying?????Yeah, that was really going to make him want to play with him. Adler is an idiot. Sorry, but any chance of the reunion was blown by Steve. He needs to learn to keep his fat mouth shut.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 08:17 AM
I seriously don't believe you can blame Steven for this sh*t with Axl. Axl was an *ss LONG before Steven said anything. I feel the need to defend Steven. I know he's a mess and always has been but he's also one of the sweetest guys that's ever stepped into rock n roll. He really has never meant any harm, I believe. And is just happy to have been a part of this. Knows he screwed up big time and would like nothing else than to do it all over again. Of course he has nothing else going on other than his little band. He's almost childlike with his enthusiasm.

I know from reading all 3 book by Slash, Duff & Steven that there is one thing NONE of them disagree about and that's Axl's behavior through the GNR years---- none of them dispute his talent and for the most part they all said they liked him BUT all the crap he pulled with showing up late and such, they all had BIG issues with. They said (and I would think everyone would agree) that it was not only disrespectful to the other members of the band, management, venues, etc... but most disrespectful to the fans. Duff said it was out and out embarrassing to him. Not one of these guys claims to be innocent in all of the GNR drama but they all agree that they were appreciative of their fans which is something that Axl didn't and doesn't seem to be.

I won't say I figured there would ever be a reunion, I did hope so but pretty much knew if wasn't about to happen. That being said, I can honestly say after reading Axl's little letter last night, I felt my blood pressure shoot through the roof. Who the h*ll do you think you are? Seriously? It must be nice to think you are the rock n roll God to end all and have such a high opinion of yourself. Good, stay away from the ceremony and continue to tour with your little tribute band. I hope the other members that are there obey your wishes and don't speak your name or acknowledge that you were ever a member. That'll show them!!! And most of all, if and when I get back to the RNR HOF, I hope I don't see your name, image, etc... on the GNR display. It saddens me to say that because to me GNR was the greatest as a band of Axl, Slash, Duff, Steven and Izzy but hey, that was the 80s and 90s. Most of us have grown up and moved on. Good luck to you Axl, I still think you have one of the best voices in rock n roll but you disappoint me.

Lizzy--and you thought you ranted on to long! :hilarious: But this band is something I'm very passionate about and feel I know something about. And for the record, I think you have a VERY VALID point about Axl. Like a child who needs attention, even if it's for bad behavior. Shame on him!!

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 08:41 AM
No, of course I didn't. But, I don't think he ever had any intentions of doing so either. I agree about Steve opening his mouth, but never in a million years do I believe that incident alone was the sole reason for him not doing so. These are only my personal beliefs based on the Axl that I've made conclusions about (albeit through things I've read since I don't KNOW him personally). And, perhaps I am too soft-hearted, but I do feel sorry for Steven and I think the stroke has seriously damaged his brain and coupled with all of these other things, he can behave like a ticking time bomb.

It is just my opinion that, as I said previously, he has never had the intention of playing together with them, and after scrutinizing the constant media over about the situation, he and his lawyers (because I believe he had legal help crafting that letter) wrote this lengthy excuse of why he would not only be reuniting or joining ex Guns on stage but also why he wouldn't be attending and did not want to be inducted. That's OVERKILL to the nth degree. Yes, the RRHOF has/is becoming a joke, but it's still perceived as a somewhat lofty achievement in a musician's career and no matter how much rights he has to do what he wants and it's his life etc, he would not be THE Axl Rose of THE Guns N' Roses that made him who he is today without the FANS. I wholeheartedly believe that people who are successful (especially through fan driven avenues) do indeed owe us a certain amount of not thanks, but gratitude. And by that, at the very least, he could have said NO to a reunion playing but YES to accepting the award along side the very people who helped make him a household name and vice versa and in front of the millions of FANS who made this dream a reality for him. Without us, he's just another egotistical wannabe on a bus back to Indiana.

All that being said, I'm not like a lot of other people in that I don't even want him together again with Slash and Duff and the others. I did want to see them put differences aside and do like the Eagles did, be grown adult men, play a couple of songs, accept their awards and then keep on moving on.

But, that's just me. Now, I am looking forward to and hoping, that Slash, Duff, Steve and Izzy all show up and accept their inductions and I couldn't be happier or more excited for them!! :partytime:

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
OMG-- Lizzy, are we sisters switched at birth? :hilarious:

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 09:00 AM
LOL Funny that you mention that, but at age 23 I learned that I had a half-sister somewhere in the world. hehe Are you French by any chance??? I think her name is Monique but I have no clue how to find her. That's off topic... lol

I think we're just both passionate about the same things in this case especially. I've stated before, that GNR was THE important band of my lifetime and Slash is THE iconic rock god.

Topkat
04-12-2012, 09:25 AM
None of us knows what really happened between them, so I can't really comment on who is right or wrong or an asshole, whatever, but I just feel that Axl explained himself in his letter. If he wants nothing to do with the R&R HOF, that is his choice. Many feel that it is a joke anyway. I mean there is a huge roster of bands that should be in the R&R HOF and aren't.

Maybe I am not as big a fan of G&R as some of you are. I have only seen them live once, but it was an iconic show at the Ritz. To me Axl was the show & the main attraction of G&R. I can see some having a lot of devotion/ respect for Slash, but to me the others can easily be replaced, most especially Adler. I do feel sorry for him, as he has had the health issues, but he has especially lately publicly trashed Axl and the band.

Many have said it is disrespectful to the fans to not show up or perform at the induction, but Axl has never really respected the fans, so this is no shock to me.I don't really think it is a cry for attention from Axl.

I am not really defending him, but I can somehow understand it.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 09:42 AM
Had to post this picture here from the Golden Gods awards last night!! Love this!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/DuffandSlash.jpg

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 09:50 AM
Had to post this picture here from the Golden Gods awards last night!! Love this!!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Legends%20of%20Rock/DuffandSlash.jpg

I think I'm going to actually purchase this picture. I LOVE it. Rock and roll at it's finest.

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 10:13 AM
None of us knows what really happened between them, so I can't really comment on who is right or wrong or an asshole, whatever, but I just feel that Axl explained himself in his letter. If he wants nothing to do with the R&R HOF, that is his choice. Many feel that it is a joke anyway. I mean there is a huge roster of bands that should be in the R&R HOF and aren't.

Maybe I am not as big a fan of G&R as some of you are. I have only seen them live once, but it was an iconic show at the Ritz. To me Axl was the show & the main attraction of G&R. I can see some having a lot of devotion/ respect for Slash, but to me the others can easily be replaced, most especially Adler. I do feel sorry for him, as he has had the health issues, but he has especially lately publicly trashed Axl and the band.

Many have said it is disrespectful to the fans to not show up or perform at the induction, but Axl has never really respected the fans, so this is no shock to me.I don't really think it is a cry for attention from Axl.

Of course nobody else can know what really happened besides the people who were actually there, but there are TOO many accounts readily available over the years that clearly show a repetitive pattern. The entire band's drug use and abuse is legendary. Nobody, including Slash, Duff and Steven has ever disputed their part in that increasing turmoil over the years. BUT, there are also many first hand accounts from fans, reporters, managers, roadies, assistants, media, fellow musicians and band members themselves that clearly document Axl's egomaniacal ways. It goes without saying that some stories will be misconstrued, words taken out of context and biases being written, but there are just too much written for all of it to be wrong. Axl is NOTHING without the members that made him who/what he is today. He had a God given talent in his voice and I believe he was creative and a visionary. But, he wanted to turn the band into something that they didn't want to be and wanted to go in a different direction than the rest of them sought. That along with the increasing differences, in-fighting, drugs and alcohol led to the ultimate break up. He's never had respect for the fans, the people who made him who he is. I hope that now, the rest of them will see him for what he truly is. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I bet everything I have on the fact that he's seething inside at the respect and accolades that Slash receives on an almost daily basis. You're nothing, if you're not respected among your peers.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 10:21 AM
First, please understand TK, I am in no way fighting with you but I do like a healthy debate. :hilarious: We are all entitled to our opinions and I personally love reading every one's take on a situation.

If he wants nothing to do with the R&R HOF, that is his choice. Many feel that it is a joke anyway. I mean there is a huge roster of bands that should be in the R&R HOF and aren't.

I am also one of those that feels the HOF is a great big fat joke and have stated it many times right here on this board. My 2nd favorite group of all time is still absent (The Cars) from it while some other groups/performers are there who can't even be considered RNR. Look at Rush, another obvious omission. Sorry off subject a bit.

I have only seen them live once, but it was an iconic show at the Ritz. To me Axl was the show & the main attraction of G&R. I can see some having a lot of devotion/ respect for Slash, but to me the others can easily be replaced, most especially Adler. I do feel sorry for him, as he has had the health issues, but he has especially lately publicly trashed Axl and the band.

And what a huge show that one was!! I envy you, if that was the only show to see, you picked the right one!!! I can't even imagine. That's the most iconic show of GNR and they were in their heyday there!!

As far as replacements, obviously Adler---since he was the first and only to actually be "replaced" by Matt Sorum. Nothing against Matt, he did a fine job but I'm still a Steven girl because he was the original drummer and I loved watching him on those drums. He just moved with the whole drum set.

Now as far as him "trashing" Axl--- I just don't see it. Maybe he could of chosen his words differently but I actually agree with this statement:

“[Slash] wants to do it. I want to do it,” he reaffirmed. “Axl will probably want to play with his hack band — his band of hacks. ‘Axl and His Hacks’ — it shouldn’t even be Guns N’ Roses. He’s just driving that name into the freakin’ ground. ‘Axl and His Hacks.’”

I seriously cannot take Axl serious with this band as GNR. THEY ARE NOT!! I don't understand how a band with only one original member (not counting Izzy because he wasn't with Axl at the time he started his new GNR run) can still be called that bands name. Is it just me? As for the talent the members have, I really don't know that much about them other than Izzy of course and DJ who I know from SixxAM.

but Axl has never really respected the fans[/B], so this is no shock to me.I don't really think it is a cry for attention from Axl.

I agree he's never respected the fans. But doesn't that bother you? I mean we are the ones that made them what they are. I know I gave them my fair share of $$ over the years. How dare he not respect us!! Like Lizzy said, he could be right back here in Indiana (hey-that would be al' right also!)with me if it wasn't for people like us buying their records and seeing their concerts.

Like I said--I LOVE Axl as a performer but I think he has a lot to learn about being a decent human being.

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
And, I second everything that TBF said, Topkat. A healthy debate is good and sometimes when we least expect it, we can learn things we didn't know! I know that I do.

I couldn't agree more with the Ritz show. You saw the best rock show ever, as far as I'm concerned. End of story. :headbang:

Freypower
04-12-2012, 06:27 PM
Taking into consideration the history of Guns N' Roses, those who plan to attend along with those the Hall for reasons of their own, have chosen to include in "our" induction (that for the record are decisions I don't agree with, support or feel the Hall has any right to make), and how (albeit no easy task) those involved with the Hall have handled things... no offense meant to anyone but the Hall Of Fame Induction Ceremony doesn't appear to be somewhere I'm actually wanted or respected.
For the record, I would not begrudge anyone from Guns their accomplishments or recognition for such. Neither I or anyone in my camp has made any requests or demands of the Hall Of Fame. It's their show not mine.
That said, I won't be attending The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame Induction 2012 Ceremony and I respectfully decline my induction as a member of Guns N' Roses to the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/axl-rose-will-not-attend-guns-n-roses-rock-and-roll-hall-induction-ceremony-20120411#ixzz1rrrRXbUw

If he was so against his induction should he not have said so at the time it was announced?

I am not a fan of this band. I just pose this out of interest.

Freypower
04-12-2012, 07:01 PM
NB: This sort of stuff has happened before:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/a-history-of-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame-no-shows-20120412

So it emphasises the way the Eagles were adult enough to deal with it.

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 07:43 PM
And, I think that's all that any of us die-hard fans wanted. Just a few amicable minutes to celebrate and relive what got them into the RRHOF to begin with. I don't think that's too much to expect. It's a once in a life time occasion and would have, in a way I think, been some sort of closure for us. I fell in love with the old GNR for the dirty, sleazy, balls to the wall injection they gave to rock and roll at a time when rock was dying. I didn't like the direction that Axl was taking the band with the long, orchestrated songs after the AFD album. The whole attraction of Guns was their (then) unique "I don't give a **bleep** attitude". In this current day and age, I much prefer the music that Slash and Duff are putting out and I really like Steven's new single too! Without the catalog of songs from the original Guns members, Axl or the *new* Guns had to relinquish the old songs and could only play his own new material, I think he would be in for a rude awakening.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 08:25 PM
Without the catalog of songs from the original Guns members, Axl or the *new* Guns had to relinquish the old songs and could only play his own new material, I think he would be in for a rude awakening.

I'm one of those that bought Chinese Democracy, after waiting 3 years for the darn thing to come out and I've played it exactly 1 time!! Don't get me wrong, his voice was awesome on it and there were a couple of songs that I probably would of grown to like BUT I just couldn't get my mind around the fact that it was Guns N Roses. It just didn't do it for me.

If he was so against his induction should he not have said so at the time it was announced?

I am not a fan of this band. I just pose this out of interest.

A very valid point. I hadn't even thought of that. What is he thinking and why'd it take him so long?

On a random note, talking about the making of Chinese Democracy, whatever happened to Buckethead? :hilarious: Just curious!

lizzyplays
04-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Ooo yeah, what did happen to him? I honestly haven't followed them since the exit of Slash. I have randomly scanned articles when I thought Axl might speak sorely of the ex members, but to me the whole "Buckethead" persona just seemed to much of a joke to succeed. Given the situation that Mr Head was being hired into, I don't think any amount of talent (no clue if he had it) could overcome the shoes he had to fill and then to have branded yourself with such a silly name/persona, it seemed inevitable for failure.

Topkat
04-13-2012, 07:46 AM
Eddie Trunk speaks up about R&R HOF and Axl Rose

http://www.vh1.com/music/tuner/2012-04-12/eddie-trunk-on-axl-rose-rrhof-snub

TimothyBFan
04-13-2012, 08:51 AM
I totally agree with everything Eddie says about the HOF. I've said it over and over again. For me, this is not about the HOF, it's about Axl's whole attitude toward the fans of the REAL GNR.

Therefore, I think what Eddie says about that, "This thing about it’s Axl disrepecting the fans is total BS. I’m a fan of GNR, I don’t need the RRHOF to validate them. How someone would stop being a GNR fan if they are currently because Axl Rose decided not to stand on stage with a bunch of people he hasn’t played with in over 15 years and accept an honor that was not voted in by the fans is beyond my comprehension." is not true as far as I can tell. No one I know has said that because Axl is pulling this, I'm gonna stop being a GNR fan. Never!!! I've maintained all along that I have absolutely no desire to ever see what he has going now, PERIOD!! Doesn't mean I'm no longer a GNR fan.

I also never expected a full blown reunion like we had after the Eagles were brought together at their induction. Why would he, he has his own little band going and Slash & Duff have their own thing going and even Steven does too. But I sure expected Axl to have enough common courtesy to at least get on that stage and accept the award FOR THE FANS!!!!

I respect Eddie Trunk and most everything he does and says regarding rock n roll, he knows his stuff, but I think he's off base as apparently do a lot of original GNR fans, on this one.

Topkat
04-13-2012, 11:15 AM
I think Eddie had an interesting point of view. The R&R HOF was trying to get a reunion of G&R and take the credit for it to boost themselves. It was just interesting to get Eddie's opinion on the whole thing.

TimothyBFan
04-13-2012, 11:54 AM
I think Eddie had an interesting point of view. The R&R HOF was trying to get a reunion of G&R and take the credit for it to boost themselves. It was just interesting to get Eddie's opinion on the whole thing.

Now I might have missed it but was there an official comment or anything from someone at the HOF stating that they were trying to get a reunion of GNR? I mean to me, that sounds like speculation. So we are to assume that every time a group that is now defunct gets put into the hall of fame, the reason is because the HOF wants there to be a reunion they can take credit for. If we are all honest, every year that list comes out, aren't we all HOPING that there is going to be a reunion of those groups at the ceremony and that it will lead to something more? I know I certainly am!!!! Again, just my opinion.

Topkat
04-13-2012, 12:25 PM
Well, in that case the HOF is responsible for the reunion if the group reunites at the ceremony. Fans hope for the reunions, but it's more likely to happen at the HOF than anywhere else, so yes, I guess they do get credit for it.
Was there an "official statement" from HOF that they were trying to get G&R to reunite, I don't think so, but it could be a motive. I mean there's all kinds of financial & or political motives behind all this stuff.
This is Eddie's opinion, not mine. He knows a lot more about it than I do, but I think he knows what he's talking about. I think he does know a lot of the people involved here. It's all speculation anyway.

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 02:55 PM
This just in from Duff:

http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/63219

http://blogs.seattleweekly.com/reverb/2012/04/izzy_stradlin_rock_hall_of_fa.php

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/guns-n-roses-duff-on-hall-of-fame/

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Two words:

CLASS ACT

Topkat
04-13-2012, 04:10 PM
To me Axl's refusal to attend is all about supporting his current band, & not about the original band. I think he feels it's an insult to the current G&R line up. I don't really care if they reunite for the show or that Axl won't be there. As the previous articles have stated, many people didn't show up at the HOF induction for one reason or another.

When the Eagles did the HOF, they were already reunited, as it took place after HFO tour. (except for Randy & Bernie) Yes, for them to play that night was a big deal, but it didn't really change anything.

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 05:50 PM
I have no clue, but based on the fact that it's just 25 years since the original lineup was able to be inducted, I thought it was that lineup that was being inducted, not any and all Guns. It's those years and those members that gave us the GNR that's being inducted. Hardly seems fair to induct members of the currently touring GNR when they haven't contributed to the legend that is GNR other than playing the songs. I really don't know how that works... was trying to find an article on which members were being inducted or is it just the group as a whole, including every member that was in it?

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 05:52 PM
To me Axl's refusal to attend is all about supporting his current band, & not about the original band. I think he feels it's an insult to the current G&R line up.

For the record, I don't think Axl cares about ANYBODY but himself, current band included. He's always behaved like a spoiled, selfish brat. But, that's just my opinion. :-)

Freypower
04-13-2012, 06:08 PM
I have no clue, but based on the fact that it's just 25 years since the original lineup was able to be inducted, I thought it was that lineup that was being inducted, not any and all Guns. It's those years and those members that gave us the GNR that's being inducted. Hardly seems fair to induct members of the currently touring GNR when they haven't contributed to the legend that is GNR other than playing the songs. I really don't know how that works... was trying to find an article on which members were being inducted or is it just the group as a whole, including every member that was in it?

Surely the people being inducted would be the members of the band up to Chinese Democracy. Are any of those people in Mr Rose's current band? Excuse my ignorance. I also don't see people can be inducted just because they happen to be playing with him at this point in time. Even I know that he's very volatile & he could change his mind tomorrow about who he considers a 'band member'. There have to be standards & criteria for these things.

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Surely the people being inducted would be the members of the band up to Chinese Democracy. Are any of those people in Mr Rose's current band? Excuse my ignorance. I also don't see people can be inducted just because they happen to be playing with him at this point in time. Even I know that he's very volatile & he could change his mind tomorrow about who he considers a 'band member'. There have to be standards & criteria for these things.

Exactly! Unlike with the Eagles and Felder, who DID contribute to many albums then of course he should and was included. Nobody who played on Chinese Democracy has anything to do at all with the "GNR" that's being inducted. If that album was criteria for induction, we wouldn't even be having this conversation/debate.

I'm still looking for something that actually names them individually as inductees. And, I'm really hoping that the ones that show up just play a song, Duff can sing!!

Thanks for weighing in FP! It's good to hear other opinions when I'm so CLEARLY biased. But hey.. this is the band that I grew up with and means the most to me. I used to be a hairdresser when I was younger and my walls were plastered with posters of GNR, including the ceiling. My shop was in a small Bible belt town of 700 people. No old lady would set foot in my shop. lol But, all the high school kids thought I was the coolest thing since sliced bread. :-)

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 07:05 PM
Just read on twitter:

Eddie Trunk ‏ @EddieTrunk Reply Retweeted Favorite · Open
Just found out that @MylesKennedy has to postpone our interview for tonight as he is headed to Cleveland. What's going on there??

*MAYBE* the boys are going to play with Myles singing!!! After reading how passionate Duff was about making this about the songs and doing it for the FANS... maybe we're going to get a song or two!

TimothyBFan
04-13-2012, 07:10 PM
First off, let me say kudos to Duff!!! He's handling just the way it should be, no name calling, no accusing, just basically saying he's honored and will be glad to be there for it. :thumbsup:

Good question--- I know he was changing band members like most of us change underwear. To be fair, I don't know if he was hiring and firing or if they were leaving on their own. Anywho.... This is what I found as far as members to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guns_N%27_Roses_band_members#Former_member s

[/URL]How freaking confusing is that? Is there another band that's had that many members to it? Geesh! Here's what I'm GUESSING-- the members to be inducted would be Axl, Slash, Izzy, Steven, Duff, Gilby and Matt and possibly Traci for the simple fact that he helped contribute to the name and get the band off the ground.

And let me add, I know how you feel Lizzy (of course you already knew that since we've been talking about it for days :hilarious:) they were a huge influence on me. I loved all the members, including Axl who's voice could send me into a meltdown. I absolutely loved them and watched and listened non stop for a very long time. Like I said earlier, there was even a tattoo but it's been covered up now because my Mom was so harpy about it after awhile because "a woman of my age shouldn't have a tattoo with a picture of guns and roses on her leg". :hilarious: It was the logo of the 2 pistols crossed and the rose coming up through the middle. I liked it but oh well.

[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guns_N%27_Roses_band_members#Former_member s"]
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axl_Rose)

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Guns_N%27_Roses_band_members#Former_member s)

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 07:24 PM
Like I said earlier, there was even a tattoo but it's been covered up now because my Mom was so harpy about it after awhile because "a woman of my age shouldn't have a tattoo with a picture of guns and roses on her leg". :hilarious: It was the logo of the 2 pistols crossed and the rose coming up through the middle. I liked it but oh well.

Oddly enough, I'm considering getting my first tattoo... at MY age. It won't be visible and it will be small. Haven't decided on design yet. I'm thinking a musical symbol of some kind... ive seen a few ideas that I like, but not necessarily the exact design that I want. I won't rush it though. It'll have to be when it's 100% perfect for ME and as of yet, I've never run across that.

One of my friends suggested Slash. lol :hilarious:

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 07:32 PM
Matt's in Cleveland!

http://lockerz.com/s/201066594

TimothyBFan
04-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Matt's in Cleveland!

http://lockerz.com/s/201066594

Well, I had that one right then, didn't I? :thumbsup:

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm getting excited, especially since I heard Myles is flying to Cleveland tonight. There can't be any other reason... but i hate to get my hopes up, but daggone it... it'll just be nice for any members of the original GNR to play and think how happy they will be and all of us!!!

And what a slap in the face to Axl that would be.... (i had to say that...) lol

WalshFan88
04-13-2012, 08:03 PM
That would be awesome! :D

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Gilby Clarke ‏ @gilbyclarke Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
back in cleveland, my hometown.

Looks like the whole gang is showing up!!! This alone, makes me VERY happy. Everything else at this point will be the cherry on top!!

Please, please, please, please.... play together!!

Ok, I have to go set the recorder now. I've got to work tomorrow night!!! #$)##@

TimothyBFan
04-13-2012, 08:37 PM
Geez- I guessed Gilby also!!!

Myles must be there to just give support to Slash, huh?

I still don't see a reason why these guys can't perform a song or 2 without Axl.

TimothyBFan
04-13-2012, 08:41 PM
Gilby Clarke ‏ @gilbyclarke Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
back in cleveland, my hometown.

Looks like the whole gang is showing up!!! This alone, makes me VERY happy. Everything else at this point will be the cherry on top!!

Please, please, please, please.... play together!!

Ok, I have to go set the recorder now. I've got to work tomorrow night!!! #$)##@

Is it being televised live tomorrow night? What network?

lizzyplays
04-13-2012, 08:50 PM
It says it will show on HBO in early MAY. Shoot, didn't think about that! I was just assuming it was on tv. lol :thud::brickwall::unimpressed:

My guess is that they called Myles out to SING! I know he's close to Slash but if he was going for that reason, wouldn't he have already planned that? Instead he had an interview scheduled with Eddie Trunk and cancelled last minute. I think all the buzz going around and especially Duff's comments in the media, started a new frenzy.. this time... FOR THE FANS!!! and you know what... for our guys too! They all wanted to play.. you KNOW they did. This is a life time achievement no matter how hokey it is. Besides being rock idols or gods, they are just like you and I. Human with the same wants and desires and things that make them happy.

sodascouts
04-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I loved Duff's comments and the way he makes it about the fans. That's one thing Axl has never done - nor I expect ever will do.

Topkat
04-13-2012, 10:54 PM
There is no live broadcast, but I bet some of it will show up on YouTube!!
If anybody finds any...please post!

04-13-2012, 11:44 PM
Wow! I haven't commented in this thread because I'm not a huge fan of GnR either, although I like a few of their songs and I do appreciate their talent. But, good grief, talk about drama - these guys make the Eagles appearance at the HOF seem like a lovefest. Glad to see some of them taking a mature attitude towards their fans. Axl can just bite me! :eyebrow:

lizzyplays
04-14-2012, 05:38 AM
This is from Slash's wife... Slash, Duff and Gilby practicing!!!

THEY MUST BE PLAYING!!

https://twitter.com/#!/PerlaFHudson/status/191056853977931776/photo/1

And Steven on drums:

https://twitter.com/#!/PerlaFHudson/status/191057476832071680/photo/1

TimothyBFan
04-14-2012, 09:12 PM
Notice in that picture of Steven, Matt Sorum is also playing drums. Woo Boo!!!!

lizzyplays
04-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Backstage... posted just a few minutes ago:

http://lockerz.com/s/201409035

lizzyplays
04-14-2012, 11:18 PM
here's a small, grainy live feed, if any one is interested:

http://www.cleveland.com/rockhall/index.ssf/2012/04/rock_hall_inductions_2012_live_streaming_video.htm l

Guns up next...

WalshFan88
04-15-2012, 10:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YstFFBzNzPo

lizzyplays
04-16-2012, 12:18 AM
Thanks Willie and Austin for sharing last night with me! It was fun posting back and forth and getting excited with every word that was announced and with every song they sung and then finding the pictures, tweets and other info after the fact. I felt like I was 24, all over again. :grouphug::headbang:

TimothyBFan
04-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Thanks Willie and Austin for sharing last night with me! It was fun posting back and forth and getting excited with every word that was announced and with every song they sung and then finding the pictures, tweets and other info after the fact. I felt like I was 24, all over again. :grouphug::headbang:

You're right!! That was really fun. So glad I was online at the time so we could all enjoy it together.

Here's a site that has video (not so good but we'll take what we can) of all 3 songs.

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/axl-rose-booed-at-hall-of-fame/

ETA: Have we heard anything more from Axl on any reaction he may have on the ceremony? Just curious what he thought or even has heard about it but I doubt we hear anything from him.

TimothyBFan
04-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Did you see Slash's FB and Tweet this morning:

Had a blast in Cleveland. But then had my bags lost by United leaving there. Figures. IiiI; P

The question is, if you found them, would you give them back? :laugh:

lizzyplays
04-16-2012, 08:21 AM
My first thought was NO, but then YES, only after I had made contact with him myself and not through the airline. I'd hope to deliver in person and get a pic and autograph for my troubles. :-)

BUT... those leather pants... maybe I'd ask if I could have those too. lol And the top hat of course...

Don't ask me the HARD questions in the morning!! :hilarious:

It would be REALLY hard to give the things up... just cus... but, I'd get more joy in the long run knowing that he appreciated my efforts in returning (assuming he would indeed appreciate). He seems humble beyond belief, fan accessible and down to earth.

Oh, i know... I could take a picture wearing the leather pants... :censored:

:soda: time to wake up :soda:

lizzyplays
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
ETA: Have we heard anything more from Axl on any reaction he may have on the ceremony? Just curious what he thought or even has heard about it but I doubt we hear anything from him.

I've been working a lot and only had a few minutes each day to scour the web... so far, I've seen nothing except various comments from fans or non fans. I tend to agree with some, that I think his lawyers are probably feverishly working... :armed:

I think they are all co-owners of the songs though, aren't they? Axl only solely owns the GNR name. It seems to me though, if he did make a big legal stink out of it for whatever reasons, he would surely be driving more nails in his career coffin. I know GNR in it's current form is still relatively big, but there's an almost equal amount of us on the other side. I don't know.. it's something to think about.... Hard to believe he would just sit back and do nothing though.. considering the booing and crack comments by some of the other celebrities. He's probably seething in his bike shorts.

WalshFan88
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM

:grouphug:

Yes that was really fun and glad to share the moment and discuss it with other fans!!! :)

It was awesome!

TimothyBFan
04-16-2012, 09:03 AM
Now this I'd like to see:

Thank u Carlos Martinez of Rock n Roll Wrestling Bash for hooking me up w/some fn' clothes until my bag shows up. Cheers! IiiI; )'

:laugh:

lizzyplays
04-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I know! Saw that while ago and was thinking... wish he'd show a picture of the clothes!

Operation Slash is on. I.am.on.a.mission. :whip:

sodascouts
06-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Have you guys seen this?

Guns N' Roses ban fans from wearing Slash T-shirts to UK gigs (http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/64110)

Maybe there's some kind of misunderstanding. It seems too outrageous to be true!

zeldabjr
06-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Have you guys seen this?

Guns N' Roses ban fans from wearing Slash T-shirts to UK gigs (http://www.nme.com/news/guns-n-roses/64110)

Maybe there's some kind of misunderstanding. It seems too outrageous to be true!

yeah I'd like to think this can't be true...anyway to me there is no GNR without Slash...

TimothyBFan
06-04-2012, 08:03 AM
I totally believe this!!!! Another prime example of how warped Mr. Rose has become (and I don't believe for even one minute that this is coming from anywhere other than Axl Rose himself!). What a way to alienate more fans!! :brickwall: He never ceases to amaze and DISAPPOINT me.

Again, I, as I understand the majority of GNR fans feel, believe GNR was and always will be Slash, Axl, Steven, Duff and Izzy. NOT Axl and a bunch of wankers he wants to try to pull off as GNR.

Can you tell I'm a bit passionate about this?!?!? It just p*sses me off in a big way!!!!

lizzyplays
06-04-2012, 09:25 AM
I saw it a few days ago, and knowing that Axl has a lifetime of dramatic histrionics, this only further cements his status as a certified douchebag. I believe it to be true because it fits his personality and the kinds of stories we've heard in the past. Surely, Axl must realize that 99% of the 'new' GnR audience/fans is made up of kids who know NOTHING of the old GnR. Heck, there may even be a few that don't really know who Slash is in reference to GnR, much less think that wearing a Slash t-shirt would be anything other than "cool" since at the current moment, Slash has been saturating the media to promote his new album. I suspect that that alone has Axl with his panties in a wad... Slash seems to have a really great 2nd album out, it's getting rave reviews and great publicity. I've not yet seen any bad reviews. Anyways, seems like jealousy is at play on Mr. Rose's part. But to treat a GnR fan the way that this guy was treated is just ludicrous. Poor kid. I also read that due to the show starting so late, it caused a lot of problems for concert goers who had come in by train or bus, as the concert ended well past the transportation hours which had all closed down for the night! How's that for respecting your fans?? Axl's only saving grace at this point is Dj Ashba and even he doesn't save him for me, but I do think this kid is a superb guitarist with a lot of talent, and he has something positive to give to the world. I just hope for the day that he disassociates himself from a poison like Axl. He is making a name for himself in both music and rock fashion, so he doesn't need Axl dragging him down, through the mud.

sodascouts
06-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Just out of curiosity I did a search and found this GNR forum (http://www.mygnrforum.com/index.php?/forum/190-axl-rose-chats-open-letters/) where Axl actually posted about 40 times (he went by the name Dexter). While he started posting mostly to insult posters who had ragged on him and a member of his entourage named Fernando, he eventually started responding more positively to others. This may be old news to some, but I had never heard of it before. It was kinda cool!

And it really brings home how tame the Border is. Peace and love, folks! ;)

lizzyplays
06-04-2012, 06:46 PM
I know what I'll be doing for the next few days/weeks... thanks for posting that Nancy! Should be some interesting things to read...

WalshFan88
06-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Can't say it surprises me.... Axl is a first class @sshole. I have to say I find that somewhat humorous that he went on that message board... What a douchebag.

Glennsallnighter
06-05-2012, 03:21 AM
I heard about the t-shirt ban on local stations here as well. it seems to have been true alright. Also that they were a lot later on stage than advertised. Meant anybody depending on public transport missed a large chunk of the gig, rvhad to rely on an (expensive possible) cab to get home. I know technical issues can delay a performance ( and indeed it happened on our boys second night in Dublin 6 years ago) but surely not by that much. It must have been very disappointing for big fans of either the old or new setup of the band to have experienced that.

TimothyBFan
06-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Can't say it surprises me.... Axl is a first class @sshole. I have to say I find that somewhat humorous that he went on that message board... What a douchebag.

Coulldn't have said it all better myself!!!!!!

I heard about the t-shirt ban on local stations here as well. it seems to have been true alright. Also that they were a lot later on stage than advertised. Meant anybody depending on public transport missed a large chunk of the gig, rvhad to rely on an (expensive possible) cab to get home. I know technical issues can delay a performance ( and indeed it happened on our boys second night in Dublin 6 years ago) but surely not by that much. It must have been very disappointing for big fans of either the old or new setup of the band to have experienced that.

Unforunately, this is Axl's way of doing things, always has been, always will be! He has done it for decades. The rest of the REAL GNR band use to say it was embarrassing and disrespectful, not only to them, but definitely to the fans. As Austin so eloquently put it above, he's a real douchebag!

Thanks from me also Soda, for finding this. I cannot wait to get in there and read this!!! Can't speak for Liz or Austin, but I'd be willing to bet it's same for them, the reason I hadn't seen that before is because it's for the current GNR band and not the REAL one? I don't give the current band much if any consideration at all, except DJ, who I agree with Liz about, he's wasting his time and talent with this band. Move on DJ---you have a very bright future ahead of you. I'm surprised Nikki hasn't told you that by now. Just saying......

TimothyBFan
06-05-2012, 10:51 AM
OMG---Only half way through the thread Nancy linked and I'm laughing hysterically. Can you imagine being on a fan forum message board and then having that artist pop in? (Side note: I had a similar situation a few years back on my Sweet message board when quite a few of us were ragging on Eric Carmen-remember him from the 70s group the Raspberries and hit song All By Myself?--I didn't know any of his so called hits other than ABM and called him a one hit wonder. Oops---he popped in and educated me. LOL)

What's funny is that while posting on this forum, he was also posting here on this forum.... http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/board/index.php?topic=55280.0
He ended up crashing both sites. :lol: And he started some animosity between the boards... "why's he posting there and not here?", etc....

Highlights from the one Nancy posted...

Page 14, he answered someone's question of why he's always late to gigs.

I've been an after midnight type since I was sneakin' out of my house in Jr. High. With old Guns we preferred 12am or so. When we moved to theaters etc obviously that changes but it's never changed inside me. Doesn't matter what I do so generally that's when I'm more myself. This isn't to mess with anyone that has an early schedule to keep it's just personal preference.

As far as being late, I've been that way my whole life. It drove Izzy crazy but he would check himself and freely admit I was generally actually doing something that had to get done rather than watching basketball etc.

Again I say, what a wanker!!!!!

Page 22--about Steven....

I do wish Steven the best and in my heart hope that he finds some peace and security. As far as direct contact no. It unfortunately gets too messy too quick. In Steven's mind I'm the one who holds the keys and power over his happiness so I'm the bad guy pretty quickly.

Again, it's all about Axl! Geesh!!!!

Some of the dumb questions people were asking... Example: "Cherry or original flavored Nyquil?"
What's funny is he answered that question on the next page. :lol:

Several people asked him how, if and when, they were inducted into the HOF, how it would go down. He never answered. This whole coversation was in December of 2008.

Gotta laugh at how different GNR fan forum users screen names are. And the language would probably shock some. We here seem to be a bit calmer and respectful, to say the least. :unimpressed:

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Isn't it interesting how fans reacted to him though? As for Axl himself, well, it's definitely an amusing read!

TimothyBFan
06-05-2012, 03:18 PM
Here's a story I found when investigating the whole message board thing. It's kept me entertained for part of the slow day today.

http://www.billboard.com/news/axl-rose-pipes-up-on-gnr-message-boards-1003922319.story&layout=button_count&show_faces=false&width=135&height=20&action=recommend#/news/axl-rose-pipes-up-on-gnr-message-boards-1003922319.story&layout=button_count&show_faces=false&width=135&height=20&action=recommend

Topkat
06-05-2012, 06:44 PM
This article is from 2008.

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 06:55 PM
2008 is when all the message board stuff went down. I went to the board looking for info on the shirt ban, and in the current thread discussing it, everyone kept talking about Axl posting on the board in 2008. I went looking for it and I found the threads I linked to. Sorry for any confusion!

12-31-2015, 02:13 AM
I mentioned this in another thread, but here is a newsflash about a possible reunion in 2016, but with a not-so-original headline ...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-guns-n-roses-with-slash-and-axl-rose-for-coachella-20151230-story.html

chaim
12-31-2015, 05:57 AM
If there's no Izzy, there's no G'n'R reunion for me!

sodascouts
12-31-2015, 12:28 PM
Never though this would happen... wonder how long the "truce" will last?

WalshFan88
01-01-2016, 12:48 AM
While I like Izzy, I like Slash more. Same for Brad Whitford. I like him but I like Joe Perry more. I'm more into the loose unschooled blues based way. I'm not much for theory. All of my faves were more self taught and blues based and even sloppy at times.

I definitely consider Slash, Duff, and Axl the core of the band that was always there.

I'll be there for the reunion.

Witchy Woman
01-01-2016, 01:30 AM
Yeah, not much of a reunion without Izzy or Steven Adler. 3/5 does not make a whole. I'll pass.

chaim
01-01-2016, 08:59 AM
Well, there's nothing "schooled" about Izzy Stradlin. Brad Whitford, yes, but not Izzy Stradlin. And when I think of the words "music theory" Izzy Stradlin isn't the first name that comes to mind! Me? Personally I'm neutral about music theory. You can do equally great things whether you know that stuff or not. Although it will probably take about 200 years more to write and orchestrate an opera if you don't know anything about anything.

I've always loved Izzy's more loose (and groovy perhaps) rhythm playing. Slash's rhythm parts are more distorted and "heavier". Paradise City is one example. Izzy's rhythm playing is very economical and so cool in the verses. During the Illusions era Izzy had also became a crucial writer in the band. I think before that Patience and Mr. Brownstone were the only "true classics" he was heavily involved with. Well, he did come up with the D, C, G chord progression in Sweet Child O'Mine, but that's not "writing".

WalshFan88
01-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Personally, I think it'd be great if Izzy and Steven or Matt could be there, but I'm sure it wasn't for a lack of trying. It's not like Axl, Slash, or Duff would have said not to include them. I mean Matt was in VR for christ sakes. And Izzy can still play in addition to Matt. IMO though I don't know if Steven could have handled a tour, he's been in a rough patch for awhile.

So if it's a case of they didn't want to do it, I'm going. If it was a case of them not being asked to join, then I'd have a problem with it.

But in the case of those guys, Steve Perry, or Dennis DeYoung not wanting to do it, the show must go on and those guys need to realize that. It's not like you weren't invited. You put the woes to it and wanted to stop, and that's your choice but don't be surprised if that wagon rolls right over you to the next city. And I'm perfectly fine with that.

I definitely prefer more heavy and distorted guitar stuff (hence why I only like the Felder/Walsh era of the Eagles).

I still say though that Izzy had more of a tight guitar thing going on compared to Slash. To me Slash was a Joe Perry/Jimmy Page type. Sloppy, loose, and very bluesy. Izzy to me had more of a precise technique. Obviously we won't agree on that as we have two entirely different descriptions of the man.

I'm more into the Joe Perrys of the world than the Brad Whitfords of the world. And don't get me started on guys like Satriani or Vai or the other virtuosos. Yuck.

For me on theory, I've always been a rebel. I hated school, hated authority, and I wasn't about to take guitar lessons or have someone tell me how to do something. I don't handle any type of criticism or direction well lol. I had just finished school and had went to homeschool because I couldn't take that stuff in high school. And to me looking at tabs or sheet music is incredibly frustrating and dumb to me. It's like math, I don't get it. I'm more of a words guy than a numbers guy. I couldn't do simple math questions if I tried. Just not me.

I'd much rather pave my own way and do things my way on my terms and to me all of my favorites played like that and did the same, so if it worked for them it works for me. That rock n' roll rebellion appealed to me. Hence why I wasn't into other more lighter forms of music. The whole throw the rules out and do it your way was appealing to me.

I basically align myself with the song "James Dean". :lol:

chaim
01-01-2016, 04:52 PM
It's very interesting how differently we see Izzy Stradlin as a guitarist!

I'll have to agree with you in that it's ok if they asked Izzy and he refused. That's different. A very good point. When the rumors started, almost the first thing I saw was the name of some guitarist I didn't recognize. So I just assumed that Izzy wasn't even asked.

Ah, theory. I like to think I've seen both sides since I taught myself to play guitar (which is my main instrument). I took keyboard lessons when I was very young, and that probably helped me in teaching myself. Later on (a lot later) I did study music (because I didn't know what to do with my life), but before that I had found out an awful lot of stuff myself. And when I make music today, I still do it like I always did. Trying s*** out and falling in love with "wrong" notes. So it doesn't affect my playing or music making in any way whatsoever that I know that parallel 5ths are not allowed in some circles.:hilarious:

WalshFan88
01-01-2016, 06:26 PM
LOL!

I am surprised Matt won't be on drums. He's good buds with both Slash and Duff. Maybe he couldn't put Axl back in a good light and wouldn't do it.

I think Izzy is just wanting to be done. TTBOMK he isn't doing anything actively in music right now.

Steven, again not surprised but I think he does still play quite a bit with his own band.

Izzy and Steven weren't a surprise to me - the lack of Matt Sorum on drums is because Slash, Duff, and Matt are so close.

I have a feeling they'll keep Richard Fortus on rhythm guitar. He's the only one that didn't leave. He's a good one too. He played for Thin Lizzy and is a fabulous rhythm guitarist. He is all about old rock n' roll, where as IMO Bumblefoot and DJ were more into newer stuff.

I think if Richard is in the new lineup, it's a good thing, he's a better match for the old stuff than the other two guys were (DJ/Bumble). He's all about old Marshalls and plays old hollowbodies just like Izzy.

I have no idea who they'd have on drums.

WalshFan88
01-04-2016, 11:28 PM
It's confirmed!

Looks like Axl, Slash, and Duff. Richard Fortus and Frank Ferrer will remain for rhythm guitar and drums. Matt Sorum hasn't posted anything but Axl, Slash, and Duff have as of tonight.

AlreadyGone95
01-05-2016, 01:52 AM
I'm not too excited about the reunion. I do consider myself a GnR fan, but to be honest, I think that Axl's voice is beyond shot. I heard him live on a youtube video a while back, and I could barely listen to him. I do think that it's cool that the beef between Axl and Slash has been resolved for the time being, though. Also, I would prefer it to be the original 5 who made the Appetite for Destruction album.

chaim
01-05-2016, 04:44 AM
A couple of clips where Izzy performs with Guns'n'Roses years after his departure. When you look at the other guitarists in the first clip and then Izzy, it's rather obvious that he's not in the least interested in looking impressive and cool in front of big rock audiences. :hilarious:

(2006) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TycKxwS_vE

(2012) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjSiJQqWCIY

(2012) Here Izzy looks like Russ Ballard. :hilarious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH6JoFJXQcA

This was also interesting. Slash, Duff (Velver Revolver) and Izzy performing a G'n'R track. It's weird how Izzy's guitar is louder than Slash's. His guitar is very prominent in the choruses. Or maybe the VR guy plays Izzy's part too and together they busy Slash here and there. :hilarious:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xydtQEARP4

I've always felt that the second verse in Pretty tied Up describes how Izzy felt about the band at the time. What he felt they had become or were about to become. Incidentally I've always thought that Izzy had nothing to do with Paradise City in terms of writing, but I saw a video recently where Slash says the "so far away" bit was Izzy's

WalshFan88
01-05-2016, 04:46 PM
I'm not too excited about the reunion. I do consider myself a GnR fan, but to be honest, I think that Axl's voice is beyond shot. I heard him live on a youtube video a while back, and I could barely listen to him. I do think that it's cool that the beef between Axl and Slash has been resolved for the time being, though. Also, I would prefer it to be the original 5 who made the Appetite for Destruction album.

I think his voice has gotten better in the last couple years compared to the awful concert everyone makes fun of when he was out of breath and couldn't sing.

TBH, to me GNR is Axl and Slash. That's just the way I feel. Same for Aerosmith - Steven and Joe. I'm not saying the others aren't important but with GNR I feel like they had their chance to join but decided not to. The show must always go on, why stop the train for 1 or 2 people.

Also, I think the UYI lineup is equally good and an underrated record.

For me, this is like the old argument of no Journey without Steve Perry. Again, Steve decided he wanted to take a break. HIS choice. And again, you can't stop for just one person if everyone else wants to continue. So you get a new singer who does the part well. Or the argument of Lynyrd Skynyrd not being Lynyrd Skynyrd because of only one original member. They still rock live and they are still legally Lynyrd Skynyrd. Good enough for this guy.

I go to these shows and have a blast. IMO I'm just not that picky about it being all original. If that were the case I would have never seen the Eagles without Don Felder. That said, as long as my faves are there, I'll be there, as in the case of if Aerosmith got rid of Joe Perry, I wouldn't be there.

NightMistBlue
03-24-2016, 01:52 PM
I'm not sure if this is an early April Fool's joke, but it's being floated about that Axl will replace Brian Johnson as the singer for AC/DC's remaining tour dates.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3507194/Guns-N-Roses-singer-Axl-Rose-replace-Brian-Johnson-AC-DC-frontman-remainder-tour-claimed-68-year-old-pushed-bandmates-losing-hearing.html

Brooke
03-24-2016, 02:06 PM
NMB, I saw that on Fb too. Surely not! I can't think anyone would want that!

AlreadyGone95
03-24-2016, 02:26 PM
Welcome to the Highway to Hell. (I can't picture this working out well!)

To Angus Young,

Since your brother Malcolm can't play anymore, and it looks like Brian Johnson won't be able to either, perhaps it's time to consider retiring the band. You've had an amazing run that has lasted over 40 years!

Sincerely,

Millions of AC/DC fans worldwide.

(This seems to be the consensus on Facebook)

NightMistBlue
03-24-2016, 03:00 PM
I'm one of the people who is left holding tickets from the band's postponed dates. I think pairing up with Axl would be an interesting experiment. I don't know what frame of mind he's in these days though. Still mad? For awhile there, he was extremely erratic: not showing up for concerts, inciting riots when he did show up, etc.

buffyfan145
03-24-2016, 04:33 PM
I saw this too and just seems strange to me. I thought Guns N'Roses were going on tour again too. I agree and think AC/DC should retire as well since Brian can't.

WalshFan88
04-09-2016, 10:09 PM
I'm late on this but I was a lucky one who saw the band on one of their last shows before this went down.

I love Axl's voice and if you've watched any of the recent footage from the reformed Guns, his voice is back and strong as ever and he's lost a lot of weight.

But he isn't AC/DC. I'm more of a Brian era AC/DC fan anyway, so it's a no go for me.

WalshFan88
04-17-2016, 01:07 AM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/axl-rose-acdc-confirmed/

Well it's confirmed, Axl's in AC/DC.

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 11:05 AM
but why though? I mean.... that's all I have.

travlnman2
04-17-2016, 03:06 PM
Welcome to the Highway to Hell. (I can't picture this working out well!)

To Angus Young,

Since your brother Malcolm can't play anymore, and it looks like Brian Johnson won't be able to either, perhaps it's time to consider retiring the band. You've had an amazing run that has lasted over 40 years!

Sincerely,

Millions of AC/DC fans worldwide.

(This seems to be the consensus on Facebook)

Get Over It ;)

This is going to rock.

Also Axl doen't cause :censored: these days that was almost 30 years ago. Guns N Roses never broke up I suggest reading this threadhttp://gnrtruth.proboards.com/thread/4929/axl-finally-vindicated.

And for the weight voice comments jezee give me a break.

Credit to MSL the admin.

What ripped GNR apart was the battle over creative control that erupted when it came time to make an album after the Use Your Illusion tour. Gilby was brought in on short notice to fulfill Izzy's touring responsibilities, but Izzy's far more important role was as Axl's primary songwriting partner.

From Axl's perspective, with he and Izzy being responsible for the vast majority of GNR's songwriting, he shouldn't have been expected to suddenly recreate the magic he had with his childhood friend with some random dude brought in as a touring replacement on short notice.

So, Axl wanted to bring in another childhood friend, who he had already written GNR songs with previously, Paul Tobias, to fill that void (Paul wrote the first song the Appetite lineup ever rehearsed). From Axl's perspective, with he and whoever he wrote with being responsible for the bulk of the songwriting, he should have been able to pick whoever he was comfortable with.

From Slash's perspective, with Izzy gone, it was now Slash's "turn" to write the next album. One problem, while Slash had made many key songwriting contributions, he rarely was the one to start songs from scratch and had never been relied upon heavily previously to carry the songwriting load. That was Axl and Izzy's job.

You're dealing with a lot of egos, you're dealing with two millionaires, one of the most recognizable singers and one of the most recognizable guitarists on the planet.

They both had points of view that some would understand. Axl feeling he should be able to pick the person to fill the songwriting void left by the departure of his childhood friend. Slash feeling there was no way some "new guy" should waltz in and write the album instead of him.

Slash presented an album's worth of songs for Axl to sing on for the next GNR album. Axl felt most of them weren't good enough. Duff agreed with Axl. Axl wanted to work on a few of them and scrap the rest. Slash wanted all of them to be used or else he was threatening to go solo.

For the next year or two, Slash quit and unquit many times. Most of which never went public. He never actually wanted to quit. It was a power play. Trying to force Axl's hand and make him agree to Slash taking over the creative direction of GNR.

Axl eventually called his bluff and moved on without him. Something Slash never thought he'd do in a million years.

I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong. I can see both sides. Not to mention the egos, money and substance abuse involved.

But what in theory was a complicated situation ultimately was rather simple. Axl and Slash couldn't agree on a creative direction, so they divorced. Except Slash never wanted a divorce, he just thought threatening divorce would get him his way. Instead he got the divorce he asked for, but never really wanted.

MaryCalifornia
04-17-2016, 04:20 PM
I streamed Coachella live last night and Axl sounded great, he can hit all the notes.

It's a funny story actually. I wanted to see GnR, so I tuned in at 10:30 when they were supposed to be on. I no kidding sat through Ice Cube with Snoop Dog, a full set of Silversun Pickups, and a full set of Zedd (EDM - I daresay I enjoyed it and it looked like fun.) GnR finally came on at 12:45 and played two songs and the live stream ended at 1:00, the curfew. So I only got to see two songs!!! But apparently they played for 3 hours!!! It's going to be a massive fine!!

Axl sort of has the same raspy, nasaly, high voice as AC/DC's singer, so I think the songs will sound fine. I sure wouldn't want to have Bryan Adams or somebody singing Don's or Glenn's parts on an Eagles tour, though. I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be cool to see a show with Axl fronting GnR, but probably their die hard fans wouldn't.

And, he has to sit on a big ol' throne because of his broken foot - I don't know how he can sign full out from a seated position, he needs to be careful with his voice.

travlnman2
04-17-2016, 04:37 PM
I streamed Coachella live last night and Axl sounded great, he can hit all the notes.

It's a funny story actually. I wanted to see GnR, so I tuned in at 10:30 when they were supposed to be on. I no kidding sat through Ice Cube with Snoop Dog, a full set of Silversun Pickups, and a full set of Zedd (EDM - I daresay I enjoyed it and it looked like fun.) GnR finally came on at 12:45 and played two songs and the live stream ended at 1:00, the curfew. So I only got to see two songs!!! But apparently they played for 3 hours!!! It's going to be a massive fine!!

Axl sort of has the same raspy, nasaly, high voice as AC/DC's singer, so I think the songs will sound fine. I sure wouldn't want to have Bryan Adams or somebody singing Don's or Glenn's parts on an Eagles tour, though. I guess what I'm saying is I think it would be cool to see a show with Axl fronting GnR, but probably their die hard fans wouldn't.

And, he has to sit on a big ol' throne because of his broken foot - I don't know how he can sign full out from a seated position, he needs to be careful with his voice.

Every act only streams for 15 so GNR was on time. Because they want you to pay to see a full show. 15mins is fine for men I am going to see them this summer.

MaryCalifornia
04-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I was coming back to update -

see here -

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-guns-n-roses-coachella-axl-rose-20160417-story.html

So, they did start on time, they just didn't show it! The other bands I watched, they streamed their full set - an hour. I sat through them with the hopes of seeing GnR!

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2016, 05:37 PM
i'm still struggling with this. lol

travlnman2
04-17-2016, 07:37 PM
Yeah, I was coming back to update -

see here -

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-guns-n-roses-coachella-axl-rose-20160417-story.html

So, they did start on time, they just didn't show it! The other bands I watched, they streamed their full set - an hour. I sat through them with the hopes of seeing GnR!

Mostly because they are small acts wanting to get exposure aka Gary Clark JR who is a incredible guitarist and was awesome with Joe at the Beatles thing a few years ago.

But with gnr they don't need that kind of exposure.

WS82Classics
09-19-2016, 01:28 PM
I absolutely do not understand the appeal of this band. Never have and never will. Totally over-done 'Thrash Rock'--Same goes for Metallica, IMO. The absolute death of Rock music as a functioning, popular entity.

They did some of the most unpalatable cover versions of classic songs(Dylan, McCartney), but there is a cover version of a GnR song that I DO like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKjmB2DaAs

WalshFan88
09-19-2016, 02:53 PM
I absolutely do not understand the appeal of this band. Never have and never will. Totally over-done 'Thrash Rock'--Same goes for Metallica, IMO. The absolute death of Rock music as a functioning, popular entity.

They did some of the most unpalatable cover versions of classic songs(Dylan, McCartney), but there is a cover version of a GnR song that I DO like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeKjmB2DaAs

Wow...GnR and Metallica couldn't be further apart musically IMO...

We went from classic rock type stuff to hair metal and GnR brought Aerosmith and Stones and Zeppelin type music back after all of the hair bands and really was the last band to be cut from the same cloth.

I prefer their cover versions of those songs. I love Dylan's songwriting but his voice is just not something I can imagine. I love how they added energy to KOHD and kept it from being a depressing song. I did like Macca's original LALD, but GnR's is very good.

But to say GnR is like Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Anthrax, etc (the true big 4 of thrash metal) is incorrect, I must say.

Yes their music was harder edged but it was more true to 70s classic rock than the hair bands of their time, and they brought rock n' roll back to the forefront and Slash brought Les Pauls back when everyone was playing neon colored pointy guitars.

It's fair enough that you don't like them or their covers, but I just cannot say that they are "thrash" at all, they have a rock swagger akin to Aerosmith, and Aerosmith certainly isn't thrash music either.

Even Aerosmith have said GnR was the last band to be cut from their cloth and that they were into the same music and that it was pure rock n' roll. But certainly not thrash metal/rock.

To me, the death of rock n' roll started with the Nirvana type bands and alternative/grunge bands with the emo/"i hate myself and want to die" teen angst stuff.

travlnman2
09-19-2016, 09:11 PM
Guns N Roses is not thrash metal at all:rofl:
Every Guns N Roses album from Appetite For Destruction to Chinese Democracy (favorite album yes I have heard all the complaints and honestly get over it Axl/Slash and Duff have so should the fans.

Appetite For Destruction- Stra Up RockN Roll influenced by Glam metal and one ballad. Contains primitive epic songs like Nightrain,Rocket queen etc.

Use Your Illusion 1- Takes the form of Classic queenesque epics but still have the Appetite For Destruction rock swag to it. In my opinion stand out tracks are. November Rain, Dust N Bones, Don't Cry Live and Die,Coma.

Use Your Illusion 2-All Epics no straight rock songs i.e. very symphonic. Has some country influence on songs like Breakdown,Yesterdays. Standouts imo. Knocking On Heavens Door. Estranged, Civil War, 14 Years, Get in the ring.

Chinese Democracy. A continuation of UYI2 but adding influence of Grunge,Industrial Rock,Hip Hop,Electronica and pop. It has a vibe like it could be a movie soundtrack, Once again very symphonic.

Stand out tracks.Astriks mark which songs have been played with Slash and Duff and or staples of the current set list and are marked with 2 astride.

Chinese Democracy**
Better**
Catcher In The Rye*
Street Of Dreams.
There Was A Time(fantastic solo by buckethead)*
Madagascar
This I Love**

MaryCalifornia
09-19-2016, 09:16 PM
I've always liked GnR, ever since the release of Appetite for Destruction. Great songs, great melodies, great singing and guitar playing.

For some reason, in my head I've always thought of them as similar genre-wise to Blind Melon, but I think that's because both singers are from Indiana!! They're just straight up Hollywood rock with a tinge of country sometimes. Axl was dead sexy once upon a time.

Gnrguy
09-27-2016, 09:53 AM
Wish they'd get rid of the session players and just bring the other original guys back. Chinese democracy isn't a real gnr album, either, to me. One original me,berserk does not equal the band

travlnman2
09-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Wish they'd get rid of the session players and just bring the other original guys back. Chinese democracy isn't a real gnr album, either, to me. One original me,berserk does not equal the band

Nope. Frank Ferrar and Richard Fortus have been in the band for 14 and 10 years. Slash and Duff have no problem playing Chinese Democracy songs. It is a guns n roses album.

you should read this.
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

Also the original lineup is Axl,Izzy,Tracii Guns Ole bech and Rob Gardner.

Steven can not ever do a full tour and he is a liability.

Also Dizzy Reed has been in the band since 1990.

Guns N roses decides who Guns N Roses is not the fans.

Slash and Duff left the band as a power play. Axl said himself that if he did make solo album it would not have been like Chinese.

Gnrguy
09-29-2016, 10:16 AM
Nope. Frank Ferrar and Richard Fortus have been in the band for 14 and 10 years. Slash and Duff have no problem playing Chinese Democracy songs. It is a guns n roses album.

you should read this.
http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=5059

Also the original lineup is Axl,Izzy,Tracii Guns Ole bech and Rob Gardner.

Steven can not ever do a full tour and he is a liability.

Also Dizzy Reed has been in the band since 1990.

Guns N roses decides who Guns N Roses is not the fans.

Slash and Duff left the band as a power play. Axl said himself that if he did make solo album it would not have been like Chinese.

I disagree man.

Those guys are good, but they were never in the same band that broke out on the scene. It's more like Axl's assembled band ya know? The amount of time someone spent playing with someone doesn't matter, it's what they've done. There's no way you can tell me guys like Richard, Frank, Melissa, Dizzy, etc are on the same level of importance as Slash and Duff... and Slash and Duff leaving isn't like a dig on their character, they did it cause they felt it was the right thing to do. It all worked out now, so it's all good.

I think Steven has showed he can do a tour with the shows he guested on, and if they paid Izzy it seems he would have done it too. Guns N Roses was always really those 5 dudes, and to a lesser extent, Matt. Those are the guys who made AfD through UYI which is what most people love.

As I said, they are back together now so it's all good. I caught them 3 times this tour and they were very good. Sounded as good as the shows I saw in the early 90s. Slash's playing is just off the chart right now.

UndertheWire
09-30-2016, 05:15 AM
Axl Rose is suing Irving Azoff.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/958191/axl-rose-slams-irving-azoff-in-5-million-countersuit

VillageGirl
09-30-2016, 11:57 AM
What's like 5 million to Azoff? Like $2 to the rest of us common folk?

UndertheWire
09-30-2016, 03:07 PM
What's like 5 million to Azoff? Like $2 to the rest of us common folk?
What's funnier is that this is in response to a lawsuit that Azoff brought against Rose for $2 million.

VillageGirl
09-30-2016, 03:47 PM
I know! The irony of it all.

chaim
10-01-2016, 06:54 AM
....The amount of time someone spent playing with someone doesn't matter, it's what they've done....

This is interesting, because Randy (who has recorded more Eagles music) and Timothy (who has been with the band for ages) came to mind.