PDA

View Full Version : Partytown insidious?

sodascouts
08-14-2006, 01:29 PM
I found this in an old Creem article from 1982. Some guy in a band called the Squeeze (Where are they now?) says:

"I heard this song the other day which instantly became my pet hate, called 'Partytown.' Don't know who it's by..."

Interviewer: Unfortunately I do, I volunteer: cultural icon Glenn Frey of the Eagles, whose album I'd (coincidentally!) heard for the first time the night before...

"The opening line is, he 'got sick' of his kids, got sick of his wife, and left it all to go to 'Partytown.' It's so stupid. And if that's what's working its way into people's consciousness as an acceptable way or mode of behavior – God, I'm beginning to sound like a Christian or something – but if you get kids singing along with that, and it becomes an accepted way of behavior...do you know what I mean? You know what I mean? It's insidious...it's horrible."

Interviewer: This may well be. Nonetheless, more than one song by Squeeze involve concepts as impure as adultery and excessive drinking. It works both way, no?

"Yes, I suppose it does," says Tlibrook. "We sing a lot of songs about drunks – I suppose we attract a drinking audience. But I think it's fair to say that our songs, whether they're about negative or positive situations, do at least have a little bit of heart in them. I didn't detect any trace of heart in 'Partytown.' "

Strong words! But of course the song doesn't actually say the guy got sick of his kids. Tilbrook perhaps has issues of his own that made him superimpose that mentally over "job." I just thought it interesting this member of a rebellious new wave band would say something like that! Of course, theoretically, if the song were to be taken seriously, he would have a point.

Side note of trivia: a later member of the Squeeze, Paul Carrack, wrote Love Will Keep Us Alive.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg

glenneaglesfan
08-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Can't he see that Partytown is a completely light-hearted p*** take?

Squeeze was quite big over here in the eighties, and indeed was fronted by Paul Carrack. My other half is particularly fond of a song called "Cool for cats". I just remember another song by them called "Up the junction" which used to leave me profoundly depressed for some reason.

~~~

This way to happiness...

Molly
08-14-2006, 05:37 PM
Hmmm, let's see, Eagles-still touring, still recording, Rock N Roll Hall of Fame members, music icons.

Squeeze, last time I saw them, they were on VH1's "Bands Reunited" and if memory serves, they couldn't stand one another long enough to be in the same place to get together for even one peformance. Not to worry, I'm sure opportunities and demand for a Squeeze reunion come along all the time!

Squeeze was big in 1982. I'm sure they felt they were going to be around and be important to music for a very long time.

I'll admit, I do remember their song "Tempted" ("tempted by the fruit of another"). Nice little song about adultry.

Freypower
08-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Oh dear oh dear. Doesn't that just sum up perfectly the self-righteous humourless self-importance of the British music scene in those days.

'Cultural icon' now. That's more like it. :pimp:

sodascouts
08-14-2006, 07:26 PM
Oh, they did "Tempted by the Fruit of Another"? LOL! Perfect.

~
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/avatars/nancysigbanner.jpg