PDA

View Full Version : Peter Noone/Herman's Hermits

Stars
12-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Do any of you remember a group called Herman's Hermits from the 60's? When I was 13 years old, I was smitten with them, especially the lead singer, Peter Noone!:smitten:
Peter Noone was 17 years old the first time I saw him in concert, today he is 61 and has aged beautifully-just like some other musicians that we all love.:)
I'll be seeing him in concert tonight, and I can hardly wait. Hubby is coming along, and even promises to take a few pictures!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-13-2008, 11:56 AM
That's great! I saw Herman's Hermits back in 1986, when they were opening for the Monkees' "reunion tour." I'd never heard of them before then, but they were good. Have fun!

DonFan
12-13-2008, 12:18 PM
Stars, I also loved Peter Noone & Herman's Hermits--"There's a Kind of Hush" was one of my favorite songs when I was a pre-teen. I have seen Peter twice over the last several years and he really puts on a great show. I got his autograph and my picture made with him last summer at City Stages, our big summer music festival here. I hope you had a great time at his concert!

Ive always been a dreamer
12-13-2008, 01:03 PM
How cool Star - Hope you have a great time. Herman's Hermits was the very first band that I ever saw live. They came to my home town on their first (and maybe only) U.S. tour at the height of the 'British invasion'. I remember the girls were screaming so hard that you couldn't even hear them play. I wasn't screaming though because I was on my very first 'real' date. My favorite songs of their's are 'I'm Into Something Good' and 'Can't You Hear My Heartbeat'.

Stars
12-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone!
I feel like a teen-ager again, going to see Peter Noone tonight!:partytime:
The last time I saw him was in 2005, almost exactly 40 years after the first time I saw him. I had a chance to meet him briefly, and I told him, "It's taken me 40 years to meet you, but it was certainly worth the wait!":thumbsup:

Troubadour
12-13-2008, 01:19 PM
How exciting. I hope you have a fantastic time. It's great that you got to meet Peter Noone too - I only hope I'm so concise and eloquent if I ever meet Don! ;) Let us know what the show was like.

Stars
12-14-2008, 02:35 AM
Hello Everyone!
Just got back from seeing the concert with Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits! What a fun concert that was-Peter is very comical-you almost feel like you are watching a comedy act with songs added in, now and then!:hilarious: During one segment, he was talking about re-using song lyrics. Then he suddenly looked at the audience and exclaimed, "Well, it worked for the Eagles!" I almost fell out of my seat. I started clapping quite loudly, and he looked around and said,"My, they must be popular around here!" I am still not quite sure what he meant about the Eagles re-using lyrics, but I was so happy to hear him mention our guys!:thumbsup:
After the show, he signed autographs for one and all, and I showed him a picture of myself, dressed in my Herman's Hermits shirt and button, from 1966! He looked at the picture carefully, and said, "I remember you!" I replied, "Yes, I haven't changed a bit, have I?" He replied, "No, and it's only been 44 years!" (Actually, it's only been 42 years, but I decided not to argue the point!)
At any rate, it was a fun time, and I hope to see him again real soon.:)

Just Another Hired Hand
12-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I really enjoyed reading your posts about Herman's Hermits. It sound to me like you and your husband are having your own "excellent" concert adventures like my wife and I are having. Within the past year we have seen John Fogarty, Eric Clapton, Hall and Oates and the Eagles three times. We are constantly on the look-out for touring acts that we enjoyed back in the 70's and 80's. It looks like you had a great time.

Stars
12-14-2008, 10:58 AM
Yes, Just Another Hired Hand, we did have a great time seeing Herman's Hermits last night! I did forget to mention what songs stood out for me-"I'm Henry the 8th I am" (which Peter got the audience very involved in!), "Mrs. Brown You've Got a Lovely Daughter", "Listen People", "Can't You Hear My Heartbeat", "Just A Little Bit Better", "I'm into Something Good", "The End of the World", "Listen People". What the heck, I enjoyed them all!!:partytime:
It sounds like you and your wife are enjoying attending concerts lately too. My husband also saw the Eagles with me in Washington, and we both saw Jackson Browne in September in Philly.
Rock on!:headbang:

eaglesvet
12-14-2008, 03:13 PM
Hello Everyone!
Just got back from seeing the concert with Peter Noone and Herman's Hermits! What a fun concert that was-Peter is very comical-you almost feel like you are watching a comedy act with songs added in, now and then!:hilarious: During one segment, he was talking about re-using song lyrics. Then he suddenly looked at the audience and exclaimed, "Well, it worked for the Eagles!" I almost fell out of my seat. I started clapping quite loudly, and he looked around and said,"My, they must be popular around here!" I am still not quite sure what he meant about the Eagles re-using lyrics, but I was so happy to hear him mention our guys!:thumbsup:
After the show, he signed autographs for one and all, and I showed him a picture of myself, dressed in my Herman's Hermits shirt and button, from 1966! He looked at the picture carefully, and said, "I remember you!" I replied, "Yes, I haven't changed a bit, have I?" He replied, "No, and it's only been 44 years!" (Actually, it's only been 42 years, but I decided not to argue the point!)
At any rate, it was a fun time, and I hope to see him again real soon.:)
Does anyone know what he means by the Eagles re-using lyrics??
There's what I think is an unusual example of reused lyrics on a CD currently in my car....in addition to my 2 double Eagle CDs (for my recent road trips to Eagles-ville), I also have an older Elvis Costello and John Mellencamp in the player. The Mellencamp CD is "Nothing Matters but What if it Did," which is a GREAT CD of his older songs. However, on 2 of the songs, he uses the exact line, "Hope you didn't lose that innocent laughter; hope time didn't take that away." Very noticeable to hear when playing the full CD straight through, because the songs are relatively close in sequence. Very strange that he would do that!

Freypower
12-14-2008, 07:24 PM
I can only think that he is referring to the Eagles covering How Long, in which case what he said is incorrect. An artist who does reuse some of his lyrics is Van Morrison. I was listening to The Healing Game last night and he uses the phrase 'backstreet jellyroll' which also appeared in And The Healing Has Begun (note similar song title). Another example I guess is the use of the phrase 'she loves you yeah yeah yeah' in All You Need Is Love. To me, that's what reusing lyrics is. Doing a cover version is entirely different.

TimothyBFan
12-15-2008, 10:47 AM
Hey Stars--how exciting for you. How did Peter look? Did you get any pictures? I always thought he had the cutest smile!

Brooke
12-15-2008, 02:35 PM
Glad you enjoyed the concert Stars!

I loved all those old songs back in the day, too! And Peter was my fave! I'd love to see your pics, too.

Stars
12-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Hey TBF! Peter looked GREAT! He still has that wonderful smile, and at age 61, he still retains that youthful look-kinda like our guys!
My hubby took plenty of pictures and some turned out great! I sure wish I knew how to post them-I am so computer illiterate! If it wasn't for Troub helping me, I wouldn't even have an av!:grin:
Brooke, did you ever go see Herman's Hermits back in the day? I went to see them for the first time in 1965! I still remember it very clearly-quite an exciting day for a 13 year old girl, in love with a bloke from Manchester!;)

Brooke
12-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Brooke, did you ever go see Herman's Hermits back in the day? I went to see them for the first time in 1965! I still remember it very clearly-quite an exciting day for a 13 year old girl, in love with a bloke from Manchester!;)

No Stars, I never had the opportunity. I lived in the boondocks in the Midwest and we didn't even know about going to concerts back then. I still live in those same boondocks, but am much more worldly now! Thank goodness!

eaglesvet
12-16-2008, 01:05 PM
Hey TBF! Peter looked GREAT! He still has that wonderful smile, and at age 61, he still retains that youthful look-kinda like our guys!
My hubby took plenty of pictures and some turned out great! I sure wish I knew how to post them-I am so computer illiterate! If it wasn't for Troub helping me, I wouldn't even have an av!:grin:
Hey Stars,
Since your camera is digital, someone (not me or you) should be able to download them onto your computer--if not your hubby or your son, then maybe a neighbor with an elementary-school-aged child or older..lol. Then, if you ask Ticky very nicely and promise her she'll be the first or second or third person to view them, she can probably post them onto this site faster than you can blink an eye!