PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Shopping

tbs fanatic
12-20-2008, 08:35 PM
Oh ye Gods!!! I made the horrendous mistake of trying to finish up my Xmas Shopping today (Saturday). Aaaaaaaah! Everyone and their cat were shopping. Traffic was crawling along, nowhere to park when you did get to the store, thousands of people in the store. :thumbsdown: Never again, NEVER AGAIN. It's going to take me the next week to recover:fainted::crazy:

ticky
12-20-2008, 08:49 PM
Willie, I feel your pain (in the butt) there is now 5+ inches of snow on the ground here and its STILL falling. The kids are just gonna have to be happy with what Santa's got!

EagleLady
12-20-2008, 09:05 PM
Heck, I got some cash to buy my own gift LOL. Now THAT'S the kind of gift that keeps on giving ;)

eaglesvet
12-20-2008, 10:26 PM
Oh ye Gods!!! I made the horrendous mistake of trying to finish up my Xmas Shopping today (Saturday). Aaaaaaaah! Everyone and their cat were shopping. Traffic was crawling along, nowhere to park when you did get to the store, thousands of people in the store. :thumbsdown: Never again, NEVER AGAIN. It's going to take me the next week to recover:fainted::crazy:
Tsk, tsk TBFS ...haven't you learned by now to only shop in the feline-free malls on the weekends:?::?: Some folks just never learn...

ticky
12-20-2008, 10:33 PM
Feline free?? thats discrimination!! Im going to complain to someone.. (aspca? something like that..)

eaglesvet
12-20-2008, 10:40 PM
Feline free?? thats discrimination!! Im going to complain to someone.. (aspca? something like that..)
Here in the East, they allow the cats into those malls on Wednesdays, and give them 15% off as well (as an incentive to vacate the malls on the other days, so that the less hardy shoppers can survive the season.) So, I wouldn't be making any complaints if I were you...you just may be the brunt of some pretty nasty feline hate mail!

ticky
12-20-2008, 11:36 PM
"RRROWER.. PSSST PSSST RRRROOWWERR... HISSSSSSSSS... PSST.."

wow! you were right! (excuse the profanity)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-20-2008, 11:46 PM
Yeah tbsf - I feel your pain. I learned that lesson the hard way myself a few years back. Now, I plan it so that I never have do any shopping the weekend before Christmas. Hope you have a quick recovery! :wink:

AzEaglesFan
12-21-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm going shopping Monday with a friend, her vehicle so she will have to worry about parking, that's the only way to go this late.

sodascouts
12-21-2008, 02:34 AM
I'm notorious about putting things off but miraculously, this year, I've got it all done. Sorry you had to endure all that TBSF!

P.S. guys - TBS fanatic is not Willie - Willie is TimothyBFan. I know it can get confusing keeping everyone straight!

ticky
12-21-2008, 04:30 AM
P.S. guys - TBS fanatic is not Willie - Willie is TimothyBFan. I know it can get confusing keeping everyone straight!

sorry, my bad :blush: *G* Im heavily sedated on pain killers tonight if that makes a difference *G* :dizzy:

Peekaboo
12-21-2008, 07:20 AM
I've still got a little bit of shopping to do. I've been kind of freaking out lately because i've still got more Christmas presents to buy and yet i'm trying to save money for my trip to Florida next month. I feel bad because i have this money saved for Florida and the Eagles concert in Tampa (for which i have not yet gotten my plane ticket or concert tickets) and i keeping thinking that i should use this money for christmas. And I also have 5 birthdays in my family in January. I'm so torn on what to do. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

eaglesvet
12-21-2008, 12:22 PM
I've still got a little bit of shopping to do. I've been kind of freaking out lately because i've still got more Christmas presents to buy and yet i'm trying to save money for my trip to Florida next month. I feel bad because i have this money saved for Florida and the Eagles concert in Tampa (for which i have not yet gotten my plane ticket or concert tickets) and i keeping thinking that i should use this money for christmas. And I also have 5 birthdays in my family in January. I'm so torn on what to do. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.
I'm not sure who exactly the people are who need the presents, but...I just heard this spiel on the radio that this year many people are turning to homemade gifts. The DJ in fact was saying how he will be burning his 4th annual Xmas CD for his gift. Maybe you could do something like that? (I couldn't. One Mother's Day, my sister-in-law did that with different artists singing pop and rock songs about family/moms/kids, and it was very special for all of us sisters and sisters-in-law.) Or making a special recipe, and including the recipe card with it. Or if it's a family with kids, and you happen to have a great photo of the child taken during the year, get a larger print of it made, and buy a nice but not-too-expensive frame--irresistable! Finally, if it's someone you are not going to see till after Xmas, take advantage of After-Xmas sales! I think a lot of people are in the same boat (not necessarily from Eagles tix, though!)

Also, see the thread "Charitable Christmas Giving"...the least expensive donation for World Vision is $10 towards the Children's Education Fund, as well as probably some others. You could donate in someone's name, print or email an acknowledgement card so the gift recipient is aware of your generosity, and help the world's needy at the same time!

eaglesvet
12-21-2008, 12:31 PM
sorry, my bad :blush: *G* Im heavily sedated on pain killers tonight if that makes a difference *G* :dizzy:
I did think twice about that, because I know Willie actually has her name in her sig...but I just assumed she changed it. You know what they say about "assume"...sorry, guys! I should start a list for myself at some point...

TimothyBFan
12-22-2008, 08:57 AM
Sorry guys--I should of came up with a more creative Border name but that one just seemed to be so appropriate for me! I will answer to almost anything tho! :-)

tbs fanatic
12-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Ha! It's all good. I am slowly recovering from my ordeal - copious amounts of alcohol help:cheers:

Glennsallnighter
12-28-2008, 07:50 PM
These are some great ideas for homemade gifts. Thanks to those who contributed to them. A few more would include

Printed T-shirts - Plain Black or white T-shirts are very easily come by and are often inexpensive. So too is the film. Iron on a print of your recipeints favourite group, singer or sports club and you have a gift they will treasure.

If you have a decorative box, you can make a luxury food hamper and perhaps include some home made candy, or cakes. even buying luxury food in the store is a lot cheaper than buying the hamper.

Home made candles. A candle making set will give a start and it can easily be topped up with wax and wick for a very reasonable price. They are fun to make and very original.

For someone with children, offer a nights babysitting! Do up a token on the computer to be exchanged on an evening that is mutually suitable. Believe me, it won't cost you anything but could be a big saving for a hassled mom!!

I know its a bit late to include these for Christmas, but they may suit for one of the upcoming birthdays.

I also think that its not the cost of a gift that counts. An incredible amount of time and love goes into making a personalised gift and I think many people prefer it to something expensive that was chosen at the last minute! I don't want to sound ungrateful to any of my family members, but quite frankly for some of the gifts I was given, I'd have preferred them to have donated the money to a childrens charity for all the use they will get!!

TimothyBFan
12-29-2008, 10:10 AM
I also think that its not the cost of a gift that counts. An incredible amount of time and love goes into making a personalised gift and I think many people prefer it to something expensive that was chosen at the last minute! I don't want to sound ungrateful to any of my family members, but quite frankly for some of the gifts I was given, I'd have preferred them to have donated the money to a childrens charity for all the use they will get!!

AMEN SISTER!!!!!!!!!!