PDA

View Full Version : The Best of My Love

Stars
12-21-2008, 04:56 PM
How many of you think that Glenn would do a superb version of "Best of My Love"? I do! I love his version of "Desperado", and I think he would do just as well on "Best of My Love".
Note: I LOVE Don's singing on both of these songs!:nod:

sodascouts
12-21-2008, 05:07 PM
I'd never thought of it before but... wow. His voice would be amazing on that.

Freypower
12-21-2008, 07:24 PM
It never occurred to me either. What a can of worms.

I know that Don has sung Lyin' Eyes, Tequila Sunrise and Already Gone (NB I am unable to provide further information. I just know that he has). The only song sung by Glenn which Don originally sang is Desperado and I think my feelings on Glenn's version are well known.

I don't know about BOML. To me it is so 'Don' that I cannot envisage Glenn singing it. I guess he'd do it well but I don't think he could give it the 'aching' and bittersweet quality that Don does. So which other Don songs could he sing? Well..... I have a Party of Two bootleg in which he does a verse of Life In The Fast Lane. When he and Deacon did that show at the Roxy he was helping Deacon out very enthusiastically with Get Over It. Both of those would be a pushover for him. It's the ballads which are more problematic. Don's Eagles ballads are more 'bluesy', slower and more dramatic than Glenn's. I honestly hesitate to nominate any, but I think he probably could have done The Sad Cafe.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I've heard Don's versions of Lyin' Eyes and Already Gone, and he does a great job with them, especially Already Gone. I've never heard him do Tequila Sunrise - my first inclination is that I don't think that song is very well suited for Don's voice, but I'd have to hear it before making a judgment.

I have to say I had never thought of Glenn doing BOML before either, but I think he could actually pull it off quite nicely. I have to disagree with FP here because I believe that one reason Glenn could do justice to the song is precisely because he has that yearning quality in his voice to give it an 'aching' and 'bittersweet' tone (for example - I Volunteer). I agree his version would probably be different, much like Desperado.

I also have the Party of Two show where Glenn does LITF, and I think he does a great job. I believe that Glenn could have easily sang lead on that song, and it would have been equally as good. Also, like FP, I've always maintained that I would love to hear Glenn sing The Sad Cafe - again mainly because of the yearning, vulnerable quality his voice could bring to the song.

Now, I actually think Glenn could generally do justice to the ballads more so than the up tempo songs that Don sings i.e. Desperado. Don's voice has a 'harder' quality to it, which is why he is more suited to sing songs like Hotel California, Victim of Love, and Those Shoes. JMHO

GlennLover
12-21-2008, 11:16 PM
Is the Party of Two show available anywhere? I have only seen a video of one song that they performed & it must have been on YouTube. I need more Glenn (& Joe too) :)!

Freypower
12-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I only have it on video, unfortunately. If it were on DVD I would send it to you.

Now this is interesting that Dreamer says that Glenn DOES have the yearning in his voice which would allow the 'aching, bittersweet' stuff. I Volunteer is an excellent example. This is something that I suppose stays at the back of my mind. I don't analyse Glenn's voice very much. I tend to let it wash over me, if you know what I mean.:fainted:

I do think that I Love To Watch A Woman Dance came as a surprise to many people because a) it was so slow; b) he usually does not sing like that. To get that slow burning sensuality out of him is very rare. You have to go back to something like A Walk In The Dark to hear it, and possibly songs like After Hours and That Girl. If you think of most of his Eagles ballads they are sung at a quicker tempo.

Dreamer mentions HC, VOL and Those Shoes as songs that are more suited to Don's voice. An aside..... isn't it interesting to think who co-wrote those songs.:heybaby: I actually think that Glenn could do Hotel California but the other two need that cynicism that only Don can bring to them. Having said that I guess I never thought Glenn would ever sing a song like He Took Advantage, either. I think Glenn could do The Long Run because it is a tribute to the Memphis music he loves so much.

sodascouts
12-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Another Eagles song that I think Glenn could do vocals for is the currently seasonal Please Come Home for Christmas!

Mrs Henley
12-31-2008, 05:51 PM
I've heard Don's versions of Lyin' Eyes and Already Gone, and he does a great job with them, especially Already Gone. I've never heard him do Tequila Sunrise - my first inclination is that I don't think that song is very well suited for Don's voice, but I'd have to hear it before making a judgment.

Wow, I never heard Don doing that!
Do you got it somewhere online Dreamer? (Could be that I didn't read the topic pretty good and that you already posted it somewhere, sorry for that)

Just Another Hired Hand
01-03-2009, 01:58 AM
I know it's a little off point but here goes nothing. Maybe I am just out there, but when the Eagles started doing "Take It To The Limit" I just can't help but wonder what it would have sounded like if Don Henley had sung the lead. Anybody with me?

Mrs Henley
01-03-2009, 11:38 AM
Hmm....good one, I think it would sound nice