PDA

View Full Version : If you could ask Glenn to sing any non-Eagles song in a solo show, what would it be?

Ive always been a dreamer
12-23-2008, 12:25 AM
After Soda started a similar thread about the Eagles, I thought it would be fun to have a topic for all of the guys. The only difference is that you can include Glenn's solo material or covers. I'm gonna have to think about this before I can answer.

sodascouts
12-23-2008, 12:36 AM
One song in particular springs to mind for me: That Girl. Besides being melodically beautiful and lyrically expressive, the song has one of Glenn's most tender and romantic vocals - a vocal with a mix of sincerity, longing, vulnerability, passion - love, plain and simple. If he did that live, every woman in the venue would melt into a puddle on the floor.

12-23-2008, 12:46 AM
Okay, I am going to stick with just one song for right now, but I'll come back with some others later. If I could only pick one song - it has to be River of Dreams. I think I would be in a total trance to see this performed live.

TimothyBFan
12-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Hokey I know but Smuggler's Blues. What can I say, I was a Miami Vice fan but would also love to see him do Part Of Me, Part Of You and Sexy Girl. :D
And who wouldn't want to see him do You Belong To The City live?

Prettymaid
12-23-2008, 11:08 AM
The One You Love, and also POMPOY

Stars
12-23-2008, 04:45 PM
It is very hard to just pick one, but I think if I had to pick just one, it would be "Part of you, part of me". I fell in love with that song the very first time I heard it, and I would probably pass out if I heard Glenn sing that live!:fainted:

Freypower
12-23-2008, 05:20 PM
I can't answer this. Well, I can. How much time have you got?

Similar to what I said in the Don & Joe topics, I have seen Smuggler's Blues in 1995. I saw YBTTC at every show I've seen, including 1988 when I also saw The Heat Is On.

The answer is POMPOY, POMPOY and POMPOY, and it would be done properly, in all its raging glory, not squeezed into a medley.

My secret desire would be for him to sing Let's Go Home followed by A Walk In The Dark, and that would be the end of me as a sentient human being. He would have to stand down the front with NO guitar and just sing.

After Hours. Need I say more?!

I agree with Soda about That Girl. Could I also add I Volunteer from that album.

He Took Advantage
River Of Dreams
Love In The 21st Century
Call On Me
This Way To Happiness
Common Ground

And then he would have to stop teasing and do the whole of My Girl. Then just for me he would have to do Gram Parsons' Return Of The Grievous Angel and anything by Van Morrison.

After that he can do a Beatles song. He's done I Saw Her Standing There. I don't care which song.

Er.... that's enough. :stop:

AzEaglesFan
12-23-2008, 08:50 PM
I had to listen to the CD I have and like quite a few of the songs but the one I like best is Whos Been Sleeping in My Bed.

Freypower
12-24-2008, 07:05 PM
That's interesting. That is one that he actually does play live.

Brooke
12-26-2008, 03:45 PM
I can't answer this. Well, I can. How much time have you got?

Similar to what I said in the Don & Joe topics, I have seen Smuggler's Blues in 1995. I saw YBTTC at every show I've seen, including 1988 when I also saw The Heat Is On.

The answer is POMPOY, POMPOY and POMPOY, and it would be done properly, in all its raging glory, not squeezed into a medley.

My secret desire would be for him to sing Let's Go Home followed by A Walk In The Dark, and that would be the end of me as a sentient human being. He would have to stand down the front with NO guitar and just sing.

After Hours. Need I say more?!

I agree with Soda about That Girl. Could I also add I Volunteer from that album.

He Took Advantage
River Of Dreams
Love In The 21st Century
Call On Me
This Way To Happiness
Common Ground

And then he would have to stop teasing and do the whole of My Girl. Then just for me he would have to do Gram Parsons' Return Of The Grievous Angel and anything by Van Morrison.

After that he can do a Beatles song. He's done I Saw Her Standing There. I don't care which song.

Er.... that's enough. :stop:

Fp, I know you are very serious here, but you crack me up! :rofl:

And I love your list! It's perfect!

Mrs Henley
12-26-2008, 05:22 PM
I don't have to think of an answer..
Love In The 21st Century, I :heart: that song!

Troubadour
12-26-2008, 05:26 PM
Part Of Me, Part Of You. But I'd love to hear him do Wild Mountain Thyme again live!

Mrs Henley
12-26-2008, 05:30 PM
WMT is amazing! I'd like to hear that too!

EagleLady
12-26-2008, 05:33 PM
Anything as long as it is him singing it :inlove:

Glennhoney
12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
..I remember somebody mentioned "SHE" by Charles Aznavour.......so naturally I downloaded that song and everytime I hear it, I can definately imagine Glenn singing it....it should be on his new solo album..sigh, I wish...:partytime:

Freypower
12-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Fp, I know you are very serious here, but you crack me up! :rofl:

And I love your list! It's perfect!

Brooke, thanks for that comment. I sometimes gush on this subject a bit too much. In this instance it all came out and I barely had to think about it. A lot of this has to do with wishful thinking on my part.

I don't know if Glenn likes Bob Dylan or Mark Knopfler, two of my favourite songwriters. (Listen to IDTWNW and tell me that isn't influenced by MK). Don has sung Sweetheart Like You (not one of Dylan's better songs) and Knopfler's I'm The Fool. I know that Glenn once quoted a line from Dylan's My Back Pages 'they deceived me into thinking I had something to protect'. Could he sing Dylan? I'll Be Your Baby Tonight? Lay Lady Lay? Romance In Durango? As for Knopfler's songs, the thought of Glenn singing something like Why Worry appeals somewhat.

EagleLady
12-26-2008, 08:36 PM
What is IDTWNW?

Freypower
12-26-2008, 08:55 PM
It is I Dreamed There Was No War.

EagleLady
12-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Oh Ok Thanks. Sorry I am bad with abbreviations.

Stephanie
12-27-2008, 11:33 AM
All his songs are special, but there is one song what mean really much for me is "I Did It For Your Love" and "A Walk In The Dark" , so I will choice those two. And if I want to hear a cover than it should be "Wicked Game" from Chris Isaak, such a powerful singer, but I'd love to hear it live by Glenn.

12-27-2008, 02:34 PM
Well, I thought I'd go ahead and list some of the other songs that I would love to see Glenn perform live. I'm like FP in that there is no way I can pick just a few songs - the real answer is that I would love to have him perform his entire solo catalog (and then some). When I started to compile my list, I decided to try to limit it to ten songs, but then, I just wasn't able to do it. River of Dreams doesn't count since I already picked that as my No. 1 choice. I also didn't include anything that I have been lucky enough to see live. These are in no particular order, but IMHO, would make one helluva setlist for a solo show.

1. Partytown
2. I Volunteer
3. All Those Lies
4. The Allnighter
5. Soul Searchin'
6. True Love
7. Part of Me, Part of You
8. I've Got Mine
9. Love In the 21st Century
10. Before the Ship Goes Down
11. This Way To Happiness
12. Common Ground
13. Wild Mountain Thyme
14. My Girl

ETA: Oh crap - I forgot to include 'Such a Lovely Child' on my list! :lol:

Brooke
12-27-2008, 05:12 PM
I've enjoyed reading everyone's picks and forgot to pick any of my own.

1. POMPOY- Of course!
2. Partytown :partytime:
3. I've Got Mine- Love the guitar solo.
4. My Girl- So sweet :heart:

sodascouts
12-28-2008, 04:39 PM
When it comes to covers, I LONG to hear My Girl! I was so bummed when he didn't do it in Cincinnati!

Freypower
12-28-2008, 05:38 PM
I think Dreamer's setlist above would be wonderful although I notice she doesn't include my 'big ballads' Let's Go Home or A Walk In The Dark (I know how slow they are). He could do a great deal worse than this and if he added some Eagles songs to it (which of course he would) that would be heaven. I would want him to do the LROOE songs he sings which it appears will never be performed live by the band.

EagleLady
12-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Love your new signature FP!

Peekaboo
01-03-2009, 12:43 AM
I would love love love to hear Glenn sing True Love. I don't know what it is about this song but i've been listening to it over and over the last couple of weeks. Also, I Got Love and POMPOY are definitely on my list too.

Freypower
01-03-2009, 04:45 PM
You can see True Love in Dublin. It rocks. I do have a live version of I Got Love which easily surpasses the original, a song which I don't much like.

The first Glenn song I heard this year was Flip City. Nobody knows about that except real hardcore fans. It would be utterly amazing to hear it live.

Another one which would probably work well is I Did It For Your Love, as it becomes so dramatic as it progresses.

Stars
01-06-2009, 09:09 AM
FP,
The first time I heard "Flip City" was on the Ghostbusters II soundtrack. This was in 1989, when my son was 4 years old, and was crazy about Ghostbusters, collecting all the figures, seeing the movie, and of course getting the soundtrack. I remember listening to "Flip City" with him over and over, and that was our favorite track on the album!:thumbsup:
At that point, I knew that Glenn Frey was one of the Eagles, but I wasn't familiar with any other of his solo material. Little did I know how that would change nearly 20 years later!:inlove:

Freypower
01-06-2009, 05:16 PM
That is so cool, Stars. I'm glad you like it. I think it's a remarkable song. The chorus is awesome. I like how staccato it is: 'you/say/it/ain't/true/what/can/I/do/now...' He sings so sweet given that it rocks so hard. I never fail to be blown away by the 'I wanna know WHY' at the end.

Glennsallnighter
01-06-2009, 05:38 PM
FP,
The first time I heard "Flip City" was on the Ghostbusters II soundtrack. This was in 1989, when my son was 4 years old, and was crazy about Ghostbusters, collecting all the figures, seeing the movie, and of course getting the soundtrack. I remember listening to "Flip City" with him over and over, and that was our favorite track on the album!:thumbsup:
At that point, I knew that Glenn Frey was one of the Eagles, but I wasn't familiar with any other of his solo material. Little did I know how that would change nearly 20 years later!:inlove:

Tell me about it Stars!! I knew quite a number of Glenn :heart:'s popular songs in the 80's, but had never seen him live. ONE trip to an Eagles concert, again 20 years later changed everything for me too!!

SweetHolly
01-06-2009, 09:03 PM
I'd love to hear Ain't It Love, I Did It For Your Love, Part Of Me, Part Of You and That Girl.

Freypower
01-07-2009, 06:31 PM
Ain't It Love would be awesome. So would After Hours. If only.

Glennhoney
01-07-2009, 07:47 PM
..I would love to hear "She can't let go"...it's the kind of song Glenn does so well..

sodascouts
01-07-2009, 07:51 PM
Ain't It Love would be awesome. So would After Hours. If only.

Can you imagine?! I would DIE!

Lisa
02-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I'd like to hear him sing "The One You Love."

Stars
02-05-2009, 08:49 PM
Lisa, that is such a lovely song! I would love to hear him do that one too-also "Part of Me, Part of You"-that may be my favorite of his solo songs.:thumbsup:

GlennLover
02-07-2009, 11:41 PM
I would think that I had died & gone to heaven if I saw Glenn perform "The One You Love"! I would also love to hear "After Hours" & "True Love". Heck, I'd love to see him perform anything!!!!!!

Fan_For_Life
02-14-2009, 09:21 PM
The Heat Is On

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhXNcZRmYqI

:rockguitar:

Koala
02-15-2009, 05:08 AM
I would love to hear:
Part of me part of you
You Belong To The City
The One You Love
True Love