PDA

View Full Version : If you could ask Don to sing any non-Eagles song in a solo show, what would it be?

Ive always been a dreamer
12-23-2008, 12:26 AM
After Soda started a similar thread about the Eagles, I thought it would be fun to have a topic for all of the guys. The only difference is that you can include Don's solo material or covers. I'm gonna have to think about my answer a bit.

sodascouts
12-23-2008, 12:39 AM
He's done it live before, as recently as 2000, but I'd love to hear it in person: Talking to the Moon. What an amazing song; the build up starting with "Goodbye, rodeo" and continuing to "I. WAS. JUST. Talking to the moon" is one of the most dramatic and powerful vocal moments of any Henley song ever recorded. Seeing it performed on his video gave me chills - I can only imagine what it would be like to be in that audience, hearing it live.

12-23-2008, 12:58 AM
Okay - I'm going to stick with one song again for now, and come back later with some others. So here it is - Taking You Home. I think I would have to break down and cry if I ever saw this live. It is an absolutely beautiful song.

AzEaglesFan
12-23-2008, 01:28 AM
My favorite Don Song is Last Worthless Evening. I wish if I could ever see him in person that he would sing that song.

TimothyBFan
12-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Heart Of The Matter is definitely my first choice here. Also wouldn't mind I Will Not Go Quietly (but only with Axl Rose singing the backup part like on the album), and The End Of The Innocence (but again with Bruce Hornsby playing on it).

I am very thankful that I have gotten to see him and the boys do Boys Of Summer because that was such a special song for me in the 80s.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
12-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Long Way Home or Lilah

Littlemelly9
12-23-2008, 10:00 AM
The Boys Of Summer or maybe Annabel

TimothyBFan
12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
The Boys Of Summer or maybe Annabel

You will get your wish when you see them LM--Boys Of Summer is on the playlists!!

Prettymaid
12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Heart Of The Matter - my favorite Don song!

Stars
12-23-2008, 04:55 PM
PM, I have to go with "Heart of the Matter" too. I loved that song years ago, way before I actually became smitten with Don!:smitten:
I love the words, the melody, the meaning, the way Don sings it-I love everything about that song. If I could hear him sing that song live, my life would be complete!:D

"How can love survive in such a graceless age?"

Freypower
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
Mine are slightly more left field - A Month Of Sundays or Damn It, Rose.

I've seen him do Heart Of The Matter with the Eagles in 1995. I was lucky, I guess.

Other choices for me would be:

Talking To The Moon
The Last Worthless Evening
Miss Ghost
Lilah
The End Of The Innocence

Troubadour
12-23-2008, 09:33 PM
Ohh, there are so many! The first ones that come to mind though, are The Heart Of The Matter and Talking To The Moon. Previous posters have accurately summed up my feelings about these two songs :heart:

If covers are included, I'd kill to see Don perform Too Far Gone and Come Rain Or Come Shine live. Stunning!

FP, I'm so glad you mentioned A Month Of Sundays. I love that song.

Littlemelly9
12-23-2008, 09:36 PM
You will get your wish when you see them LM--Boys Of Summer is on the playlists!!

OH YAY!!!!!

Mrs Henley
12-26-2008, 01:00 PM
There are so many songs!
The first one I think of is Heart Of The Matter.
The second one is Long Way Home.
So that will be the songs I will ask..

12-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Okay – I am going to add to the list of songs that I would love to see Don perform live. Much to my chagrin, I have never seen a Don solo show. Although I am going to jump at the chance to do this the next time he comes anywhere close to me, I wish he would change up his live setlist a bit. I realized in reviewing the list from some of his more recent solo shows that I have seen him perform about 2/3’s of the songs in Eagles shows. As with Glenn, I couldn’t keep this list to ten songs, and I would be very happy to have a concert of all Don’s solo work. My list does not include ‘Taking You Home’, which I previously said was my No. 1 choice. These are in no particular order, but, IMHO, this would make for an awesome show:

1. Long Way Home
2. Nobody's Business
3. Talking To the Moon
4. Them and Us
5. Lilah
6. Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed
7. The End of the Innocence
8. The Last Worthless Evening
9. New York Minute
10. The Heart of the Matter
11. They're Not Here, They're Not Coming
12. My Thanksgiving
13. You Don't Know Me At All
14. Everybody Knows
15. Leather and Lace (would necessitate the appearance of a very special guest)

Stars
12-28-2008, 12:25 PM
Fantastic list, Dreamer! I would add "For My Wedding"-love that song!

Mrs. H, your AV is lovely!:inlove:

Freypower
12-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Dreamer, that's another good list, but why Them & Us? Is it a favourite of yours?

I know Don once sang American Tune by Paul Simon. I think that would be perfect. He also did the Beatles' Yes It Is. How about Yesterday? He would nail that so perfectly.

Tessa
12-28-2008, 05:55 PM
Okay, I wouldn't ask Don to sing one of his songs. I just love "Believe" from the movie "Polar Express" and I would give a lot to hear Don perform that song :heart:

Stars
12-28-2008, 11:18 PM
FP, speaking of Beatles songs, I think Don would do an awesome job on "If I Fell" and also "Nowhere Man". I would love to hear him sing, "Yes it is" and "Yesterday" also!:thumbsup:

12-29-2008, 12:53 PM
I find these choices for Don covering Beatles songs very interesting. Now, this is a broad generalization, but I think of Glenn's voice more suited to cover McCartney songs like Yesterday, Let It Be, or The Long and Winding Road and Don's voice more suited to cover Lennon songs. A few that come to mind that Don would do justice to, IMHO, are I Feel Fine, All You Need Is Love, Revolution, The Ballad of John and Yoko, Come Together, and Imagine.

EagleLady
12-29-2008, 12:54 PM
That would be quite fitting Dreamer. I heard Don say in an interview once that Lennon was an inspiration to him.

12-29-2008, 04:04 PM
Dreamer, that's another good list, but why Them & Us? Is it a favourite of yours?

I just realized I forgot to answer FP's question about Them and Us. Yeah, FP, it's just one I like alot. Great lyrics and music. I particularly love the chorus, but the very best part of the song, IMHO, is the last line ...

"What was the question, anyway?"

I'm sure I'm in a minority here about how much I like this song, just like I'm probably in a minority because I'm not that fond of For My Wedding.

Freypower
12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
Dreamer, you're not alone regarding For My Wedding. Along with Taking You Home (which I know you love) and Annabel, those three intensely 'personal' sounding song are my least favourite tracks on the album.

Now regarding Beatles songs it's interesting you go for the Don-John and Glenn-Paul thing. You said Glenn would do a good job on The Long & Winding Road. That is a song which to me has 'Don' written all over it, particularly the 'many times I've been alone' part. Regarding Come Together, one of my absolute, total favourites by anybody, I think they could both do that.

12-30-2008, 09:50 PM
You said Glenn would do a good job on The Long & Winding Road. That is a song which to me has 'Don' written all over it, particularly the 'many times I've been alone' part.

Well, this is obviously all subjective, but to my ears, that song is much more suited for Glenn's voice. Funny how differently we can all hear things. :shrug:

DonFan
12-31-2008, 12:03 AM
I can't believe I haven't responded to this yet. I am SO behind here due to traveling over the holidays!

I Will Not Go Quietly was my number one request until I saw Don perform it live last summer. It was fantastic.:smokin:
Leather and Lace was my no. 2 request until I saw Don & Stevie perform it on their Two Voices tour. Again, fantastic--their chemistry remains as vital as ever. He also sang The Genie on that tour and I Put A Spell on You--(Boy, did he!!!) and I loved them, too.

SO, my wish list now includes:

Talking to the Moon
Lilah
My Thanksgiving
Come Rain and Come Shine
Yes It Is
You Don't Miss Your Water (Until the Well Runs Dry)
You Don't Know Me At All
I Forget You Every Day
Miss Ghost
It's So Easy (Sheryl Crow would have to sing that with him)

I also think he would do a great cover of Bryan Adam's Run To You.

TimothyBFan
12-31-2008, 03:40 PM
I Will Not Go Quietly was my number one request until I saw Don perform it live last summer. It was fantastic.:smokin:
Leather and Lace was my no. 2 request until I saw Don & Stevie perform it on their Two Voices tour. Again, fantastic-

Oh right already--quit rubbing it in! ;-)

I Will Not Go Quietly was on my list here also. I was wondering- how did they do the part that Axl Rose sings in the background on the album? Did they skip it or did he have a backup singer doing it? Axl just has such a unique voice, I would think it would be hard to find a voice similar. Just curious!

DonFan
12-31-2008, 07:13 PM
Willie, they had another backup singer to sing Axl's part. And actually, that song is such a rocker and there was so much screaming & clapping going on during it that it really didn't matter--it sounded great!

Peekaboo
01-02-2009, 07:51 PM
I agree DF, hearing I Will Not Go Quietly at that concert last summer was definitely a rocker and it was the closing song of the night which i thought worked out well. As far as my list, i've gotten to hear most of my favorites at Don's solo concert in Oklahoma City in Aug. 2007 but I would love to hear him do that version of End of the Innocense again. It was so incredibly beautiful. Heart of the Matter has always been my favorite of his solo songs and i did get to hear it in OKC but i would love to hear it done like the Eagles did it on HFO. That's my favorite version of that song. I would also love to hear Don sing Come Rain Or Come Shine. I melt everytime i hear him sing that song.

Maleah
01-04-2009, 08:03 PM
The song that would mean the most to me to hear live is "Heart of the Matter." I wrote a letter to Don last year just because I wanted him to know how much his music and this song in particular. I would absolutely bawl like a baby without a doubt. Maybe I can hold out the hope that he'll read my letter before the Fargo show and sing it for me. ;) Yeah.....I didn't think so either. lol Anyway, it's a very special song to me.

Other than that, I would like to hear Don do the following:

Last Worthless Evening
Taking You Home
New York Minute
I Will Not Go Quietly
Miss Ghost

It was a dream come true to hear "Dirty Laundry" and "Boys of Summer." I had goosebumps! I always said that I hoped that they would keep playing those until I got to see them. I will never forget it!

Fan_For_Life
02-14-2009, 09:49 PM
All She Wants To Do Is Dance or Last Worthless Evening

Koala
02-15-2009, 04:59 AM
I would hear these songs:
New York Minute
Come Rain and Come Shine
Heart of the Matter
Talking to the Moon
Boys of Summer

EaglesKiwi
10-01-2011, 05:04 AM
I'm reviving this thread since Don's doing solo shows at the moment. He's currently doing Heart of the Matter :thumbsup:

In addition to what he's currently performing, I'd love to hear Come Rain or Come Shine.

sodascouts
10-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Yes, that song is SEXY!

Judy
10-03-2011, 11:29 AM
Leather & Lace with Stevie Nicks.

If that's not solo enough, Goodbye to a River.

sodascouts
10-04-2011, 12:17 AM
I feel so fortunate to have gotten to hear Leather and Lace live with Don and Stevie. It was amazing!

I'm still wishing to hear him sing Talking to the Moon...

Henleyfan
10-04-2011, 08:39 PM
Wow I can't believe I haven't responded yet to this thread.... There are so many songs that I would love to hear Don sing. I have been lucky enough to hear him perform all his hits, but there are a few others that I would love to hear...

1) Talking to the Moon
2) Come Rain or Come Shine
3) You don't know me at all
4) Everybody Knows
5) I will not go quietly
6) Taking you home

I am sure there are many that I haven't thought of yet, but these are the ones on the top of my head. I really love when Don sings an emotional song. He does it so amazingly that it just takes my breath away.

With that said, I would could sit and hear Don sing the phone book and I would be a very happy girl :-)

EaglesKiwi
10-05-2011, 04:30 AM
Leather & Lace with Stevie Nicks.

If that's not solo enough, Goodbye to a River.
Yes please to both of those. Love Goodbye to a River.:)

10-06-2011, 09:15 PM
Wow - it's been almost three years ago when I posted in this thread, and at the time I had never seen Don in a live solo show. That has been rectified since then, and I got to hear 4 of the songs on my original list. One song that I didn't have on my list that I really enjoyed hearing live was Everybody Wants to Rule the World. Somebody mentioned on the board recently that Don's cover of the song is better than the original and I think I'd agree - it was awesome! Still would love to see Don and Stevie perform Leather and Lace, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
I would ask Don to sing The End of the Innocence. It's nice. :) Also, I like Bruce Hornsby's piano - not that Don might have Bruce Hornsby with him at any given time. lol.

Victim of Love
04-06-2012, 09:44 AM
I whole-heartedly agree with "Come Rain Or Come Shine" and I was thinking that before I even saw others had chosen that song. It's one of those standards that, when done with real heart and soul, is very moving and Don has a natural ability to pour his heart and soul into a number like that. I'm sure I can think of others but this is the FIRST one that comes to mind.

zeldabjr
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
Oh, this is a really good (and difficult)question...Hmm..this is hard because he would just nail so many songs...but I think I would pick.."It Was Almost Like A Song" I can just see him sitting all alone on a stool with just a light on him... It would just devastate me...I'd be on the floor.!

Zelda