PDA

View Full Version : Hearing the Eagles or solo songs unexpectedly!

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

AlreadyGone95
09-27-2016, 04:01 PM
I'm currently in college's student center, and Boys of Summer is playing on the PA system. My school has different Spotify playlists.

ETA: Now Desperado is playing. It's a classic rock afternoon, lol.

East Texas Girl
09-27-2016, 05:22 PM
I'm currently in college's student center, and Boys of Summer is playing on the PA system. My school has different Spotify playlists.

ETA: Now Desperado is playing. It's a classic rock afternoon, lol.

Good tunes, AG. 8)

Delilah
09-28-2016, 02:17 PM
This isn't actually about what I heard, but this is what my daughter texted me from her Jr. High classroom:

"We're listening to 'It's Easy' from the Eagles"

(apparently I haven't raised her right :huh:)

Then she adds,

"Btw someone said their granddaddy listened to this same song yesterday"

Brooke
09-28-2016, 04:08 PM
OMG, Delilah! :eyebrow: Please take care of this fault immediately! JK :rofl:

WS82Classics
09-30-2016, 10:18 AM
Earlier in the week, "Imus in the Morning" played "In the City," with the 'I-Man' giving the introduction "Eaglease on your Heartbreak Radio Station!" That riff was taken from radio legend Jimmy Rabbitt's broadcasts back in the 70's, apparently.

Imus also played "The Long Run" when introducing "My Pillow" founder Mike Lindell, as the song is one of his 5 favourites.

ETA: Just turned on the radio, and there's "Already Gone" playing on the area's college radio station.

UK TimFan
10-04-2016, 10:32 PM
I won't actually hear it until Saturday but one of the couples in 'Strictly come dancing' (the UK's version of 'Dancing with the stars') will be dancing a tango to Glenn's 'The heat is on'.

AlreadyGone95
10-10-2016, 05:29 PM
I'm eating supper at Beef 'O' Brady's and Rocky Mountain Way is playing on their PA system.

WS82Classics
10-10-2016, 08:04 PM
I live atop a hill, and someone on one of the streets below me was cranking a song I thought I recognized. Zeroing in on it, I quickly realized the tune to be "Life in the Fast Lane."

Good one to crank, amirite?

RudieCantFail
10-10-2016, 09:10 PM
I was surprised to hear Those Shoes on my local classic rock station, KFOX, at around 1 pm as I was pulling into my driveway. I sat in the car just to listen to the whole song. I know that classic rock stations will play Eagles songs, but I didn't think that Those Shoes would be on any station's playlist. It wasn't a single, right?

buffyfan145
10-11-2016, 10:28 AM
I was surprised to hear Those Shoes on my local classic rock station, KFOX, at around 1 pm as I was pulling into my driveway. I sat in the car just to listen to the whole song. I know that classic rock stations will play Eagles songs, but I didn't think that Those Shoes would be on any station's playlist. It wasn't a single, right?

One of my local classic rock stations QFM96 has always played "Those Shoes" at least since I've been listening to them in the 90s but they love the Eagles (the first song they played when the station started in the late 70s was "New Kid in Town") and it's locally owned so they can play other songs in their rotation that weren't singles. It all depends on who owns the station.

buffyfan145
10-16-2016, 04:22 PM
My Mom was listening earlier to Vince Gill singing "I Can't Tell You Why" with an Eagles tribute band Eaglemania while my brother was oddly watching the Eagles football team's game. :)

rcknalwys
10-16-2016, 06:01 PM
Heard TITTL yesterday while shopping with my daughter and her kids, we all stopped to listen to it while it played.

jms18222
10-16-2016, 06:26 PM
Heart of the Matter was playing at the very end of The Goldberg's last week.

LuvTim
10-19-2016, 12:16 PM
I'm out shopping and listening to the store's music - the beautiful "Part of me, Part of you.

NightMistBlue
10-19-2016, 12:35 PM
My Mom was listening earlier to Vince Gill singing "I Can't Tell You Why" with an Eagles tribute band Eaglemania while my brother was oddly watching the Eagles football team's game. :)

It was total Eaglemonium at your house!

LuvTim
10-19-2016, 12:58 PM
Ok, now they're playing "The Heat Is On." :-) It must be Glenn Frey Day. Yay!

LuvTim
10-19-2016, 12:58 PM

Lol...:-D

buffyfan145
10-19-2016, 04:26 PM

It totally was. LOL :D

Jonny Come Lately
10-30-2016, 04:00 AM
During the short interval in the Australian Pink Floyd's set last night, several songs were played over the sound stage while the band was off stage. One of the songs that was played was Rocky Mountain Way. As soon as I heard it I thought of this thread!

East Texas Girl
10-31-2016, 10:47 AM
During yesterday's Dallas Cowboys game against the Philadelphia Eagles they played "Witchy Woman" going into a commercial break.

AlreadyGone95
11-04-2016, 09:23 AM
I ate supper at a local grill/bar last night. My mom and I sat in the bar area, and there was big birthday party that started after we arrived. One of them selected some songs from the jukebox. The fouth song that played was Hotel California.

thelastresort
11-04-2016, 02:04 PM
I have a habit of using the jukebox in my local pub to play Eagles songs :lol:

Jonny Come Lately
11-04-2016, 07:34 PM
I have a habit of using the jukebox in my local pub to play Eagles songs :lol:

Excellent idea! Unfortunately I can't remember seeing any jukeboxes in the pubs I've been to, and if they do have music I think it tends to be 'piped-in' playlists. If you don't mind me asking, do they usually have a list of songs to choose from by a given artist, or can you play pretty much anything? Picking out more obscure songs has a certain appeal to me!

thelastresort
11-05-2016, 10:16 AM
Excellent idea! Unfortunately I can't remember seeing any jukeboxes in the pubs I've been to, and if they do have music I think it tends to be 'piped-in' playlists. If you don't mind me asking, do they usually have a list of songs to choose from by a given artist, or can you play pretty much anything? Picking out more obscure songs has a certain appeal to me!

For older artists it's reasonably limited but not exceptionally so, the Eagles gets down to about Best of My Love level, but certainly nothing that wasn't a single. Joe I recall has the single cuts of about five songs and that's it, I'd presume Don H. and Glenn similar. I tend to mix up my selections a bit so my friends don't disown me, but at least one of my trio is always an Eagles song, it just depends what the reason for drinking is as to what I pick!

shunlvswx
11-09-2016, 05:14 PM
I heard the acoustic version of Hotel California on Sunday. That's the first time in a year since I heard it on the radio. I remembered when that song first came out and the radio stations played the heck out of it.

buffyfan145
12-10-2016, 05:06 PM
While out Christmas shopping the store we were at Meijer was still playing regular songs mixed with Christmas songs and ended up hearing "How Long". :D I've heard Eagles songs in stores before but I think that was my first time hearing that one while shopping.

shunlvswx
02-01-2017, 12:00 AM
As I walked into Wendy's this past Sunday, they were playing The Heart of The Matter. At first I was like is that Don? LOL Of course I started singing it under my breathe.

shunlvswx
02-12-2017, 10:49 PM
As I was driving to church today, one of my local radio station played Last Worthless Evening. That's the first time I've ever heard that song on the radio.

TW
04-06-2017, 09:26 AM
So my school plays music during the passing periods, and I have long awaited the day they play an Eagles song. It has been 7 months and I am glad to announce the day has finally come, this morning we got Take It Easy! They cut it off early :( even though the song is about 3.5 minutes long and our passing periods our 5... but I'll take it!

Funk 50
06-05-2017, 07:47 AM
Just heard Business As Usual on UK Daytime TV stalwart Homes Under The Hammer. It sounded great!

I believe it takes about 10 years to truly evaluate new releases. Business As Usual is a top Eagles track in my estimation. :thumbsup:

buffyfan145
06-08-2017, 08:54 PM
Just saw a new ad for Disney's latest "Cars 3" movie and they used "Take it to the Limit" in it and it was the actual song!!! :D First time in a long time, if not ever, I've heard an Eagles song in a commercial for a movie. It aired just a few minutes ago during the Stanley Cup hockey finals on NBC.

Funk 50
06-09-2017, 02:50 AM
Thanks for sharing that buffyfan145, it's marvelous news for Randy . I expect he'll notice a spike in his income, even if Henley and Frey's estate don't. :)

We haven't seen much Eagles music in movies since HFO. :eyebrow:

Delilah
06-09-2017, 12:17 PM
That's so cool, Buffyfan! I thought the band was really strict about allowing the use of Eagles songs in movies. Now young kids will become familiar with the song like they did with "Life is a Highway."

East Texas Girl
06-09-2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks for sharing the news Buffyfan! I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

buffyfan145
06-09-2017, 05:01 PM
No problem and it was such a great surprise. :D I have heard before about how the Eagles were picky about who used their music and it could be expensive, but if anyone can afford it Disney would be it. LOL Now just wondering if it's in the actual movie.

Funk 50
06-10-2017, 03:49 AM
I have heard before about how the Eagles were picky about who used their music and it could be expensive

Such a coincidence! I just stumbled onto this on YouTube and felt, I should post it somewhere. Obviously here :grin:

Guess how much it costs to play an Eagles song on TV (in 2014)?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzPONYTT-fk

I like the OOTN backdrop by the way :thumbsup:

NightMistBlue
06-11-2017, 06:22 PM
Here's the trailer for Cars 3: http://www.cbr.com/pixar-cars-3-limit-trailer/

It's a Randy renaissance these days! :rockon:

Dawn
06-12-2017, 02:03 AM

So cool ... I love it!

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/search/title/take%20it%20to%20the%20limit/performer/eagles

Delilah
06-12-2017, 12:21 PM

That is so cool! My kids and I have seen that trailer but it was a different song. According to them there's a lot of hype and buzz about this one b/c the 2nd installment was so disappointing. I sure hope TITTL is on the soundtrack.

Here's to the Randy renaissance! :cheers:

So cool ... I love it!

https://www.ascap.com/repertory#ace/search/title/take%20it%20to%20the%20limit/performer/eagles

Thanks for that link, Dawn. I've wondered about Randy's publishing company, Nebraska Music. Not to go too far OT, but I noticed Billy Dean covered "Saturday Night" and someone named "Brooks, K" covered "Hearts on Fire"--could that be Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn? Interesting.

NightMistBlue
06-12-2017, 12:43 PM
I sure hope TITTL is on the soundtrack.

It's not listed, drat! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_3

That ASCAP site is real interesting, but some of the info seems garbled. Why is Randy listed as the sole writer of Bitter Creek; the performer of "Wanna Be With You" was Nelson, Rick not Ruk; Don and Glenn did not write "Midnight Flyer" and so on. What is "Paces" what is "ON N A QU UNE VIE"...

shunlvswx
06-12-2017, 01:11 PM
The channel MTV Classic, they have a show called I Want My 80s. they've been playing BOS a lot. They even played EOTI and YBTTC.

Delilah
06-12-2017, 01:18 PM
It's not listed, drat! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_3

That ASCAP site is real interesting, but some of the info seems garbled. Why is Randy listed as the sole writer of Bitter Creek; the performer of "Wanna Be With You" was Nelson, Rick not Ruk; Don and Glenn did not write "Midnight Flyer" and so on. What is "Paces" what is "ON N A QU UNE VIE"...

Hopefully this will be one of those times Wiki is wrong.

Yes, I noticed the strange song titles too. :headscratch: lol

buffyfan145
06-12-2017, 04:37 PM
From what I saw the Wikipedia list is what's on the official soundtrack that's for sale and not every song in the movie will be on that. So we'll just have to hear from someone who actually sees it.

sodascouts
06-13-2017, 01:37 AM
Wikis are user edited and thus inevitably, errors will creep in. The same is true for sites so many people believe are definitive such as setlist.fm and imdb. They can be useful, but do not trust what they say unquestioningly.

I have no idea what's up with the ASCAP site - is it official?

UndertheWire
06-13-2017, 09:05 AM
This is the amazon listing for the Cars 3 soundtrack and no Eagles.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cars-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B071Z8VTF9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497358108&sr=8-1&keywords=cars+3+soundtrack

UndertheWire
06-13-2017, 09:48 AM
I have a question about the ASCAP listings for TITTL. It lists the three writers and gives the PRO (Performance Rights Organisation) for each. It appears that only Randy is still with ASCAP, but who or what is "NS", the PRO given for Glenn and Don? Note that their names are not highlighted so you can't see a list of their songs.

Taking it further, JD Souther is highlighted (but clicking on the link doesn't seem to work) but also has a PRO of "NS" but there's a qualifier that says:
"This work has been removed from the ASCAP Repertory except with respect to final written license agreements in effect on the following date(s) (corresponding to each interest referenced above): 1: 07/01/2016)"

groupie2686
07-24-2017, 01:14 PM
I've been hearing Glenn songs a lot lately. New Kid in Town was playing at a restaurant I went to for a business lunch. I walked into the restaurant and it was playing super loud. Little did my coworkers know that the big smile on my face had nothing to do with the business lunch.

I was in vacation in Canada last week and True Love was playing in a mall I went to. Then, when I got back, I went out to dinner and Take It Easy was playing in the restaurant. It's been nice.

Pippinwhite
07-24-2017, 01:20 PM
Nothing like hearing an unexpected Glenn serenade! :inlove:

groupie2686
07-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Nothing like hearing an unexpected Glenn serenade! :inlove:

It was lovely! All within a period of 2 weeks.

buffyfan145
07-30-2017, 04:14 PM
While at the Ohio State Fair earlier today I saw one of the traveling bands, and by traveling I mean they are actually playing on a traveling stage being pulled by a golf cart, and they were playing "Funk 49". LOL :D

NightMistBlue
07-31-2017, 02:47 PM
I heard "Take a Picture of This" while waiting in line at the grocery store this morning.

East Texas Girl
07-31-2017, 04:10 PM
I heard "Take a Picture of This" while waiting in line at the grocery store this morning.

I really like this song!

groupie2686
08-28-2017, 01:07 PM
I continue to hear Eagles songs everywhere. I heard New Kid in Town in the grocery store a couple of weeks ago. Then, when I was out of town this past weekend, I heard Hotel California in a place I stopped at for coffee and Tequila Sunrise was playing as I walked into the lobby of the hotel with my luggage. There's no better welcome than that!

FreyFollower
08-31-2017, 05:35 PM
At work today I heard "One of these Nights" and "You Belong to the City". I needed a lift! Groupie, I'm glad they weren't playing "Hotel California" as you entered the hotel! I'd have been nervously looking for all those strange people in the song! LOL!

groupie2686
09-01-2017, 01:22 PM
FreyFollower, that would have been great! I would have been a little concerned, though, since you can't leave...

Pippinwhite
09-02-2017, 10:52 PM
"Long Run" in Walmart Neighborhood Market. Makes standing in the checkout line more pleasant!

thelastresort
09-06-2017, 04:26 AM
Not a song granted, but I was in a small town way out in the wilds of Scotland yesterday and upon entering a shop I heard the staff in there discussing how they loved the Eagles and there was a tribute band coming to town in a few weeks. Sadly this was the day after I had been wearing my Hotel California T-shirt!

shunlvswx
09-06-2017, 12:27 PM
I was listening to an old Casey Kasem's American Top 40 Countdown episode and they played Randy's song, Never Been In Love. That's the first time I've ever heard any of Randy's solo songs on the radio.

thelastresort
10-09-2017, 06:41 PM
The radio station Planet Rock here in the UK play a debut album in full every Monday evening, tonight's turn is the Eagles! Currently on Nightingale, a song which I never, ever thought I would hear in any capacity over here!

UndertheWire
10-13-2017, 12:51 PM
Watching the telly, I hear a familiar intro. It's an advert for a budget hotel chain as a buddy cop movie
And here it is. (http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/news/watch-the-tv-ad.html?cid=KNC_Brn%7C_G_UK_UK_Eng_Enc_SC_TV-Jan-2014_BM&mckv=sUeGYv0wR_dc%7Cpcrid%7C220411235261%7Ckword%7 C%2Bpremier%20%2Binn%20%2Bad%7Cmatch%7Cb%7Cplid%7C&gclid=CjwKEAjwyIHPBRCIxtvb0afHsHwSJAAc9L4YS8RfR0gI wDOS6iu0owOUHhpg5Pr4PRwYFPPSlFDeyxoC7gbw_wcB) (I'm not sure if it's available outside the UK).

East Texas Girl
10-13-2017, 01:27 PM
Watching the telly, I hear a familiar intro. It's an advert for a budget hotel chain as a buddy cop movie
And here it is. (http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/news/watch-the-tv-ad.html?cid=KNC_Brn%7C_G_UK_UK_Eng_Enc_SC_TV-Jan-2014_BM&mckv=sUeGYv0wR_dc%7Cpcrid%7C220411235261%7Ckword%7 C%2Bpremier%20%2Binn%20%2Bad%7Cmatch%7Cb%7Cplid%7C&gclid=CjwKEAjwyIHPBRCIxtvb0afHsHwSJAAc9L4YS8RfR0gI wDOS6iu0owOUHhpg5Pr4PRwYFPPSlFDeyxoC7gbw_wcB) (I'm not sure if it's available outside the UK).

It works here in the states. Too funny!! :laugh:

Funk 50
10-13-2017, 02:43 PM
More from the UK;

The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy is set to return for a brand new series to mark its 40th anniversary.

The radio comedy debuted in 1978 and went on to spawn a range of novels, comic books, TV series and the 2005 feature film, which starred Martin Freeman and Zooey Deschanel.

http://www.nme.com/news/tv/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-new-radio-series-bbc-radio-four-anniversary-2149319

For the uninitiated, the theme tune for The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy is Bernie's Journey Of The Sorcerer, initially the Eagles version (as you can hear in the episode 1 link), subsequently updated covers.

I'll be looking out for it in 2018. :smile:

RudieCantFail
11-07-2017, 05:30 AM
I heard "Dirty Laundry" on some guy's work radio outside my apartment a couple or a few days ago. They're doing construction behind my complex. I wanted to sing it out my window, but I wasn't daring enough to do it.

Delilah
11-09-2017, 01:27 PM
I was watching the CMA awards last night and one of the commercials was for the Cars 3 dvd/Blue-ray—and the trailer they used was the one with Take It to the Limit.:-)

East Texas Girl
11-09-2017, 02:33 PM
I was watching the CMA awards last night and one of the commercials was for the Cars 3 dvd/Blue-ray—and the trailer they used was the one with Take It to the Limit.:-)

I saw that too Delilah. I was going to post it here as well, you beat me to it. :grin: The hubs said "I guess we will have to see that movie now" I said no, it is not in the movie. (drats)

East Texas Girl
11-09-2017, 06:01 PM
Not necessarily unexpectedly...but hearing Take It To The Limit on the radio and then switching to another classic rock station and hearing it again back to back!! Totally made my afternoon. You go Randy! :applause::rockon:

YoungEaglesFan
11-09-2017, 11:47 PM
My favorite moment with hearing a Eagles song was when I usually plug my phone in and listen to my Eagles playlist but I couldn’t get it to work. I just turned on a classic rock station and immediately life in the fast lane started. That was such perfect timing I was stunned. I had a lot of fun listening to that song LOL

East Texas Girl
11-20-2017, 05:54 PM
I was catching up on some shows I had recorded over the summer and was watching "Good Witch" (yes, I am a Hallmark junkie :blush:, much to the embarrassment of my family) anyway.. Sam gave his sister a very old book that she said was her favorite, it just happened to be Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I thought hmm, Don Henley would be pleased. :wink:

Then at the end of the episode Sam proposed to Cassie and I sat up a bit straighter when I heard the voice singing in the background it was Don Henley singing Taking You Home. I was like wow, how did they get permission for that.... Two references in one episode. :woah:

buffyfan145
11-24-2017, 10:47 PM
My Dad's watching "Urban Cowboy" again on TV and just heard "Lyin' Eyes" in the background of a scene with Bud and Sissy at a diner. I've seen that movie countless times over the years and didn't remember hearing that before till now.

Magnolia
11-27-2017, 08:48 PM
I was in a patient's room yesterday and I heard The Heat Is On playing on the tv. I whipped my head around so fast lol. It was a commercial advertising Vh1 rewind of 80's movies. Hearing Glenn singing even if for a small period of time certainly cheered up my day!

My My
11-27-2017, 09:05 PM
They played part of "The Long Run" last night on Sunday Night Football, right before half time.

Dawn
11-27-2017, 10:07 PM
My Dad's watching "Urban Cowboy" again on TV and just heard "Lyin' Eyes" in the background of a scene with Bud and Sissy at a diner. I've seen that movie countless times over the years and didn't remember hearing that before till now.

Awww Bud and Sissy, talk about drama lol!!! Loved that movie and the soundtrack was great. IIRC irving Azoff was somehow connected with the movie, producer maybe?

My My
11-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Yep, he was a producer on the movie and the producer of the soundtrack album.

Dawn
11-27-2017, 11:56 PM
Yep, he was a producer on the movie and the producer of the soundtrack album.

Thanks!

sodascouts
11-28-2017, 11:24 PM
Invincible (starring Mark Wahlberg) was on TV and early in the movie, I heard "Funk 49" playing in the background.

New Kid In Town
12-02-2017, 07:06 PM
Today while doing some housework my classic rock station played PEF, AG and NKIT. Made my day.

thelastresort
12-03-2017, 03:34 PM
Walked into a coffee shop today (oddly enough not far from the English town of Henley) and I am certain they were playing, rather quietly, the Eagles version of PCHFC.

BillBailey1976
12-05-2017, 10:51 AM
I was watching " The Waterboy" the other day, and heard Joe Walsh singing a song called "New Year's Eve" I don't think I'd ever noticed it before.

TW
01-02-2018, 09:10 PM
The orthodontist was playing "Life's Been Good" while I was getting braces today

Magnolia
01-03-2018, 09:32 PM
I was driving home from the store when Take It to the Limit came on. Luckily there weren't any neighbors out seeing me drive around the block a few times lol.

Dawn
01-03-2018, 10:59 PM
I was driving home from the store when Take It to the Limit came on. Luckily there weren't any neighbors out seeing me drive around the block a few times lol.

Lol!

FreyFollower
01-03-2018, 11:03 PM

You mean I'm not the only one who does that?:grin:

tac0mao6
01-03-2018, 11:06 PM

don’t worry ‘bout the neighbors anymore .. i just pull in and crank the volume
:grooving:

heard 7BR the other night on Houston’s classic rock station .. appropriately named The Eagle

East Texas Girl
01-04-2018, 02:31 PM
don’t worry ‘bout the neighbors anymore .. i just pull in and crank the volume
:grooving:

heard 7BR the other night on Houston’s classic rock station .. appropriately named The Eagle

Me too, me too! I normally sit in the driveway with the radio cranked and usually the hubs comes out to see what I am doing. :lol:

Magnolia
01-21-2018, 11:10 PM
After a very long day at work, hearing Glenn's voice singing Heartache Tonight on the radio driving home was just what I needed. Him singing is an instant mood lifter.

FreyFollower
01-31-2018, 06:10 PM
As soon as I stepped into the grocery store, Soul Searchin' came on! I was pleasantly surprised, since it was not one of the usual Glenn selections you hear on store PAs. I even got to enjoy the whole song without someone interrupting, "Price check on aisle three"!

Dawn
01-31-2018, 10:37 PM
As soon as I stepped into the grocery store, Soul Searchin' came on! I was pleasantly surprised, since it was not one of the usual Glenn selections you hear on store PAs. I even got to enjoy the whole song without someone interrupting, "Price check on aisle three"!

LOL!! I know the feeling - recently I was in a high rise elevator with a bunch of people talking and laughing when Lyin Eyes came on. Aaargh.

FreyFollower
01-31-2018, 11:12 PM
LOL!! I know the feeling - recently I was in a high rise elevator with a bunch of people talking and laughing when Lyin Eyes came on. Aaargh.

In cases like that, I'm thinking, "Be quiet already! Can't you hear what's on? Don't you people know what's important?" LOL

Dawn
02-01-2018, 11:16 AM
True that!!! What's funny is I have been alone in elevators before when a rockin' song came on and I couldn't stop myself from busting out a couple of raucous dance moves ... security cameras be damned lol!!!

shunlvswx
02-01-2018, 12:05 PM
I heard In The City (which I now hate) a couple of times on my local radio station. I was surprised to hear that on the radio. I also heard Walk Away.

FreyFollower
02-02-2018, 01:16 AM
I know you got burned out on In the City from Sirius playing it so much. Sometimes I get frustrated with some Oldies Rock stations. For all the hits from Eagles to choose from, they seem to play the same four or so over and over! I think they're lazy! They will say things like, "Sally wants to hear After the Thrill is Gone, but I can't find it..Here's Hotel California!".
Uh huh.

And Dawn...:rofl:

FannyBeTender
02-02-2018, 01:12 PM
I know you got burned out on In the City from Sirius playing it so much. Sometimes I get frustrated with some Oldies Rock stations. For all the hits from Eagles to choose from, they seem to play the same four or so over and over! I think they're lazy! They will say things like, "Sally wants to hear After the Thrill is Gone, but I can't find it..Here's Hotel California!".
Uh huh.

And Dawn...:rofl:

Same thing where I'm at. Usually I hear Hotel California, Already Gone, Take It to the Limit, and One of These Nights where I live.

Once in a while they will play Take It Easy or Lyin Eyes, and when they really stretch out, The Long Run or Heartache Tonight.

Can't say that I've ever heard other songs like I Can't Tell You Why, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise, New Kid In Town, etc on the local radio station(s). :shrug:

Dawn
02-03-2018, 11:01 PM
Stopped by my favorite coffee house this a.m. and while debating what kind of treat to buy ... PEF came on. Awesome. :inlove:

UndertheWire
02-04-2018, 06:24 PM
This morning, at a ski lodge at Blue Mountain, Ontario, "Best of My Love". Probably the only song I recognised all day.

New Kid In Town
02-04-2018, 08:04 PM
Yesterday my local NY classic rock station played NKIT, HT and TIE. :grooving:

FannyBeTender
02-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Not recently, but about a year or so back (before I started posting here), I was at a conference for work when I heard Poco's Keep On Trying come on the radio at the place we were having lunch.

I love that song and recognized it immediately, but one of the people I was there with thought it was some religious/choir song lol. This person, who is at least 20-25 years older than I am (I just turned 30 a couple of months back), had no idea who Poco was. I told him about Poco and TBS. Still no recognition.

I then said, well TBS was the second bass player the Eagles had, and he was like "I know the Eagles!" lol.

Then he paused and said "Wait, they had more than one bass player?" :headscratch:

I nearly face-palmed :brickwall: (but didn't because he was one of my supervisors lol) and started talking to him about Poco, the Eagles, Randy and TBS.

So if nothing else came from the conference, at least one person left there more educated about the Eagles and music history lol. :laugh:

buffyfan145
02-10-2018, 10:42 PM
Currently watching the figure skating team competition of the Winter Olympics and the ice dancing pair from Canada just did their skate to a medley of classic rock songs with first The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil", the more Latin sounding version of "Hotel California" I think from HFO but could have been a cover, and then Santana's "Oye Coma Va".

groupie2686
02-10-2018, 10:44 PM
I'm watching the Olympics right now and the Canadian ice dancing pair skated to a classic rock medley that included the beginning of Hotel California, the acoustic HFO version. I was so excited I was screaming at the tv. I'd give them an extra point for using such great music, but deduct points for not using the entire song ;)

My My
02-10-2018, 10:45 PM
Just heard "Hotel California" on the Olympics. It was during ice dancing. It was the Hell Freezes Over version, just the instrumental.

groupie2686
02-10-2018, 10:47 PM
LOL, my my and buffyfan, we all posted about the same thing at the same time!

sodascouts
02-11-2018, 12:21 AM
So cool to have the Eagles at the Olympics as part of my favorite sport!

Dawn
02-11-2018, 01:27 AM
Currently watching the figure skating team competition of the Winter Olympics and the ice dancing pair from Canada just did their skate to a medley of classic rock songs with first The Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil", the more Latin sounding version of "Hotel California" I think from HFO but could have been a cover, and then Santana's "Oye Coma Va".

Very cool, thanks!!!

buffyfan145
02-11-2018, 11:20 AM
That's funny we all posted that. LOL :D The figure skating is my favorite part of the Winter Olympics too so that was cool to see.

New Kid In Town
02-11-2018, 12:20 PM
LOL, my my and buffyfan, we all posted about the same thing at the same time!

I was going to post about HC HFO version during the Ice Dancing but you all beat me to it. :smile: They did a great routine. I love watching figure skating.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-11-2018, 02:58 PM
Thanks everyone! Looks like a lot of Borderers were tuned into the Olympics last night. :thumbsup:

LuvTim
02-11-2018, 06:30 PM
Well, shoot. I missed it! Maybe I can find a video somewhere.
(She goes to look.)

LuvTim
02-11-2018, 06:35 PM
Not recently, but about a year or so back (before I started posting here), I was at a conference for work when I heard Poco's Keep On Trying come on the radio at the place we were having lunch.

I love that song and recognized it immediately, but one of the people I was there with thought it was some religious/choir song lol. This person, who is at least 20-25 years older than I am (I just turned 30 a couple of months back), had no idea who Poco was. I told him about Poco and TBS. Still no recognition.

I then said, well TBS was the second bass player the Eagles had, and he was like "I know the Eagles!" lol.

Then he paused and said "Wait, they had more than one bass player?" :headscratch:

I nearly face-palmed :brickwall: (but didn't because he was one of my supervisors lol) and started talking to him about Poco, the Eagles, Randy and TBS.

So if nothing else came from the conference, at least one person left there more educated about the Eagles and music history lol. :laugh:

Sorry I didn't see this until day. Way to go, FBT!! 8)

shunlvswx
02-12-2018, 11:52 AM
I had Hearts On Fire on the radio yesterday as I was heading to church. It was on the Casey Kasem American Top 40 Countdown. I think it was like no. 37.

sodascouts
02-14-2018, 12:23 AM
I heard "Hotel California" at the Olympics again, playing in the background while they were interviewing Shaun White about his gold medal win just now (9:50 Central).

groupie2686
02-14-2018, 01:24 AM
I heard "Hotel California" at the Olympics again, playing in the background while they were interviewing Shaun White about his gold medal win just now (9:50 Central).

I heard that too! So exciting to hear the eagles at the Olympics!

East Texas Girl
02-14-2018, 01:34 PM
Dang, I have missed it twice now... :sad:

02-14-2018, 01:38 PM
Me too, ETG. But, I haven't been watching the Olympics so I guess that explains it. However, if this keeps up, I may have to tune in. :wink: :grin:

buffyfan145
02-17-2018, 11:29 AM
Saw that tomorrow with the Olympics it's the ice dancing competition so there's a good chance that Canadian pair will use their same routine they did for the team event short-program that included "Hotel California". The men and pairs did use the same routines they did for the team event for their individual competitions too.

East Texas Girl
02-20-2018, 12:04 PM
Saw that tomorrow with the Olympics it's the ice dancing competition so there's a good chance that Canadian pair will use their same routine they did for the team event short-program that included "Hotel California". The men and pairs did use the same routines they did for the team event for their individual competitions too.

I still have not heard Hotel California at the Olympics yet, but I did hear Fleetwood Mac's Dreams in the background during the women's halfpipe last night.

East Texas Girl
05-07-2018, 01:50 PM
While shopping in Home Depot this weekend, my husband said stop, listen; I did and heard nothing, he said just listen...then finally I heard it Heartache Tonight was playing. He is such a sweetie and watches out for me. :wink:

cosec3791
05-07-2018, 10:38 PM

Yeah it was used for the movie.

(Slightly OT) What happens when a famous song like this comes on a kids' movie? Immature comments section on YouTube happens! Idk, if you TITL is blocked on YT for you, but if it isn't, look at the comments: "oMg cArS 3 brught me here!!!", "I onLy care about cars 3, not this song lol". Kids on YouTube is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Ruining the sanctity of the comments sections of so much music. It's even worse if a song comes on video games. Oh god, I play video games and know a lot, and when this happens, it gets ridiculous!

Delilah
05-08-2018, 11:24 AM
Yeah it was used for the movie.

(Slightly OT) What happens when a famous song like this comes on a kids' movie? Immature comments section on YouTube happens! Idk, if you TITL is blocked on YT for you, but if it isn't, look at the comments: "oMg cArS 3 brught me here!!!", "I onLy care about cars 3, not this song lol". Kids on YouTube is a catastrophe waiting to happen. Ruining the sanctity of the comments sections of so much music. It's even worse if a song comes on video games. Oh god, I play video games and know a lot, and when this happens, it gets ridiculous!

It was used for the trailer but not the movie itself, unfortunately.

IDK, I remember seeing a lot of positive comments overall about the song, posters wanting to know the title, talking about how emotional it is, etc. I think it’s cool when kids get exposed to old hit songs.

groupie2686
05-19-2018, 08:01 PM
I heard The Last Worthless Evening in the grocery store today!

hellhathfrozenover
05-24-2018, 01:30 PM
I was checking our apartments in San Francisco a few months ago and the landlord's phone rang... It was the beginning sax of The One You Love. I just about died laughing (inside, of course...).

I don't think he expected a 25 year old dude to know that song, so we shared a moment... and then I didn't get the apartment :laugh:.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CAinOH
05-27-2018, 09:39 PM
We are fortunate enough to have a non-profit oldies station close that not only plays songs from the fifties to the seventies, they routinely play things not normally heard on the radio.

When was the last time you heard "Midnight Flyer" on the radio? The first time we heard the station play it, husband did a quick check to make sure it wasn't the CD playing.

DrRyan454
09-29-2018, 12:14 AM
Oh yeah Stars - I love it when this happens. Shortly before Christmas, I was in Target and heard New Kid In Town. I am so pathetic that I have my own personal rule when this happens - I am not allowed to leave the premises until the song is finished. :wink:

I heard New Kid in Town at Fashion Island twice, on Aug 19 and Sep 9. Did this place normally play Christmas music that time of year and for the sake of Eagles music decide to play "New Kid in Town" right then, because that is when they know good music.

CAinOH
10-13-2018, 07:37 PM
My husband and I have been "dealing" with this furniture store since... uh, May? Anyway, what's good about going into this store is they have the most incredible music playing over the PA system. (Seriously, the first time we signed for this dang chair that might actually show up Monday, the salesman had to get my attention because I was grooving to Seger's "Breakdown", and they played Henley's "Boys of Summer" right after that.) So, we sign the final papers (please, let them be the final papers), get up to leave, and "Heartache Tonight" comes on.

So, hubby and I go spontaneous furniture shopping. When the song was almost over, husband whispers to me, "I'm not really looking to buy anything, I just wanted to hear the song." And I start laughing, because I was thinking the same thing!

sodascouts
10-14-2018, 09:12 AM
Lol! Who knows, they might make a sale that way sometime!

10-14-2018, 10:59 AM
Very cool story, CAinOH - sounds like you have hubby well-trained. :D

I was at the gym the other day where they also play lots of Eagles music. But, on that particular day, they played Already Gone twice and The Boys of Summer - one of my more enjoyable workouts for sure. I'm going back this afternoon so we'll see if I get so lucky again.

sodascouts
10-14-2018, 01:48 PM
On a recent road trip, my friend and I walked into a truck stop just as they started playing "Hotel California." Made it an extra pleasant break!

FreyFollower
12-14-2018, 04:05 AM
Last weekend, I was listening to the Opry live on the radio while driving to work. I heard the bluegrass group, The Osborne Bros., singing "Midnight Flyer".(They had recorded it originally). After finishing, he said (not verbatim)..".a little while ago--I guess it's been a long time now... the Eagles recorded that song. I never would have guessed they would have done one of our songs, but they did a fine job!". That got a cheer.

I sure wasn't expecting an Eagles nod when I turned on WSM.

For songwriter nerds like myself, the writer of the song was Paul Craft; he wrote many country hits...including the humorous "It's Me Again, Margaret". You never know!

sodascouts
12-14-2018, 11:43 AM
Last weekend, I was listening to the Opry live on the radio while driving to work. I heard the bluegrass group, The Osborne Bros., singing "Midnight Flyer".(They had recorded it originally). After finishing, he said (not verbatim)..".a little while ago--I guess it's been a long time now... the Eagles recorded that song. I never would have guessed they would have done one of our songs, but they did a fine job!". That got a cheer.

For songwriter nerds like myself, the writer of the song was Paul Craft; he wrote many country hits...including the humorous "It's Me Again, Margaret". You never know!

Cool. Love that song! I've never heard that recording. Was it largely the same?

CAinOH
12-14-2018, 12:35 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrdGgCWcWjo

I like it!

12-14-2018, 12:38 PM
Thanks for that FF - that is cool.

I remember the Osborne Brothers version - the Eagles version is the best, of course, unless you're really into bluegrass. Here is the studio version ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUPk2iY6554

FreyFollower
12-14-2018, 01:02 PM

Thanks to CAinOH and Dreamer for posting the Osborne's original recording. As you can hear, they didn't do the train effect with the "Oooooos" like our guys did. (Many find it hokey, I actually like it.). I wonder if it was done on the demo or by the writer, or if Randy and the others created it? Anyone know?

sodascouts
12-14-2018, 06:35 PM
Thanks to CAinOH and Dreamer for posting the Osborne's original recording. As you can hear, they didn't do the train effect with the "Oooooos" like our guys did. (Many find it hokey, I actually like it.). I wonder if it was done on the demo or by the writer, or if Randy and the others created it? Anyone know?

I don't know, but I like it, too - I think it's clever.

My thanks to CAinOH and Dreamer as well!

(And CAinOH - your avatar is SMOKIN')

CAinOH
12-14-2018, 09:12 PM
(And CAinOH - your avatar is SMOKIN')

Well, that's two votes for the avatar. I'll probably keep it for a while, then. ;)

Delilah
12-14-2018, 10:53 PM

How cool they acknowledged the Eagles’ cover!

I haven’t heard the studio version so I don’t know about the train whistle sounds (or it’s been a very long time anyway). We know how Bernie liked adding those extra sound effects to music so who knows. But I am pretty sure the Eagles came up with that awesome instrumental outro in their version.

New Kid In Town
12-15-2018, 08:17 AM
Well, that's two votes for the avatar. I'll probably keep it for a while, then. ;)

CA - Make that three - I love that avatar ! Glenn is smoking for sure !

CAinOH
12-15-2018, 12:54 PM
CA - Make that three - I love that avatar ! Glenn is smoking for sure !

Ha! Okay, it will stick around then. (The last one didn't last long. I like the card it came from, but it didn't translate into an avatar very well.)

I agree... this is one hot avatar! ;)

sodascouts
12-21-2018, 12:05 PM
So I guess it's not really unexpected, but are we all hearing "Please Come Home for Christmas" at least once a day now? I heard it no less than three times in the mall yesterday. lol

Brooke
12-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Yes, I've heard it a lot lately!

sodascouts
12-27-2018, 01:03 PM
I heard "The Long Run" at a steakhouse last night when I was out with my cousins. One of my cousins actually asked me "Who sings that?" I thought, Is he kidding? but answered, "the Eagles," to which he replied, "I know, but which one?" lol. I finally got it. "Don Henley." Ah, the uninformed casual fan. ;)

takeiteasy
12-30-2018, 04:14 PM
The other day I was listening to the radio when suddenly I thought to myself: "What a weird song...it seems like an Eagles one but..." And finally I realized it was HOTEL CALIFORNIA! Its version hurt my ears and insulted my intelligence! :yuck:

thelastresort
12-30-2018, 07:03 PM
Somehow ended up at an ice hockey match the other day, where they played bits of The Heat Is On. Might have to go back more often!

Pippinwhite
01-09-2019, 11:08 PM
Completely out of left field, and for your listening pleasure, "Mr. Jaws" by Dickie Goodman, from 1975. The relevant bit is at 1:14. Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeYCOFblZRg

And I thought this was hysterically funny at age seven. LOLOL.

01-10-2019, 11:56 AM
OMG - that is too funny. Thanks for finding that one, pippin!

Brooke
01-10-2019, 03:16 PM
:rofl: Pippin!

Pippinwhite
01-10-2019, 05:32 PM
Glad you liked it! Heard it on 70s on 7 and had to post it.

sodascouts
01-11-2019, 12:14 AM
Completely out of left field, and for your listening pleasure, "Mr. Jaws" by Dickie Goodman, from 1975. The relevant bit is at 1:14. Enjoy!

LOL I had no idea this existed before today, but I love it!

Delilah
01-11-2019, 02:16 AM
I remember hearing this on the radio! The snippet that had always stood out to me was the “Jive Talkin” one. Listening to this again brings it all back. Thanks for posting this, Pippin.

CAinOH
01-11-2019, 09:28 AM
I remember hearing this on the radio! The snippet that had always stood out to me was the “Jive Talkin” one. Listening to this again brings it all back. Thanks for posting this, Pippin.

The snippet I always equate with this is the "Wouldn't you give your hand to a friend?" I don't remember the Eagles' snippet.

Pippinwhite
01-11-2019, 09:57 AM
My cousin had this on a 45. We played it incessantly and howled with laughter. I didn't specifically remember OOTN on there until I heard it on Sirius/XM. The parts I really remember were "Please Mister Please" and "Rhinestone Cowboy."

Happy it produced some laughter this week!

New Kid In Town
01-13-2019, 12:14 PM

LOL - I never heard of this song before. Very funny - thanks Pippin. I think they used to do quite a few songs like this back in the day.

sodascouts
01-14-2019, 10:25 PM
I heard "Heart of the Matter" in CVS today - which was very appropriate because a lot of forgiveness was necessary.

They kept me waiting for an hour while they supposedly filled my prescription - only to tell me that they actually didn't have my medicine after all! This after they hadn't picked up the phone when I'd called earlier... they just left me on hold for an hour (I left the phone on to see if they'd ever answer it, and it cut off after 60 minutes).

But I think it's about forgiveness... forgiveness... even if they don't serve me very well.

01-15-2019, 11:58 AM
I heard "Heart of the Matter" in CVS today - which was very appropriate because a lot of forgiveness was necessary.

They kept me waiting for an hour while they supposedly filled my prescription - only to tell me that they actually didn't have my medicine after all! This after they hadn't picked up the phone when I'd called earlier... they just left me on hold for an hour (I left the phone on to see if they'd ever answer it, and it cut off after 60 minutes).

But I think it's about forgiveness... forgiveness... even if they don't serve me very well.

Wow - You definitely needed that song for inspiration, soda! That kind of poor service is inexcusable so I'm sure you needed to muster up a whole lot of empathy for that kind of forgiveness. If it were me, I might try to find another pharmacy though. lol

Brooke
01-15-2019, 03:54 PM
Soda, what a bummer!

shunlvswx
01-23-2019, 10:50 AM
I heard a live version of Last Worthless Evening on the radio this morning. I was shocked. I wonder where the live version came from.

sodascouts
01-23-2019, 10:55 AM
I heard a live version of Last Worthless Evening on the radio this morning. I was shocked. I wonder where the live version came from.

Wow! That never happens! I wonder where it came from, too.

scottside
01-23-2019, 11:31 AM
I believe there was a promotion cd single released to press and the radio that had both the studio and a live version of the song on it. I worked in a cd store at the time and I know we'd gotten a few of them for "instore play."

NightMistBlue
01-23-2019, 12:55 PM
Hello, Scottside! Good to see you on these forums again.

01-24-2019, 12:08 PM
Thanks for that little tidbit, ss. Learn something new every day!

New Kid In Town
01-24-2019, 12:39 PM

Wow, Soda - you have more patience than I do! I probably would have started looking for another pharmacy ! However, I know that in some areas there is no choice where to go when they are the only one around.

BTW, someone here had mentioned the Truck commercial "A Little Bit Country A Little Bit R&R" and the reference to PEF. I have seen it at least three times this week. I am not up on country music songs, but I think they also reference other songs too.

sodascouts
01-25-2019, 11:12 AM
Wow, Soda - you have more patience than I do! I probably would have started looking for another pharmacy ! However, I know that in some areas there is no choice where to go when they are the only one around.

I keep saying that I will - and never do!

BTW, someone here had mentioned the Truck commercial "A Little Bit Country A Little Bit R&R" and the reference to PEF. I have seen it at least three times this week. I am not up on country music songs, but I think they also reference other songs too.

I need to see this commercial!

CAinOH
01-25-2019, 12:21 PM
I need to see this commercial!

Ask and you shall receive:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwY7K6yyuE4

Brooke
01-25-2019, 02:19 PM
There are a couple versions, at least one without PEF.

01-28-2019, 02:10 PM
Watching that again gave me a peaceful easy feeling! :wink: :grin:

thelastresort
01-31-2019, 08:47 PM
Was in a pub last weekend and they played Hotel California. What was more remarkable was they then played Jackson Browne's Doctor My Eyes a while afterwards. I have never, ever heard anything by Jackson over here so it was a nice surprise!

shunlvswx
02-01-2019, 11:25 AM
This is funny. This morning as I was heading to work, one of my local radio stations played Please Come Home For Christmas. :hmm: I'm trying to figure out why they are playing that song in February. lol

I also heard You Belong To The City yesterday. I also heard the real bad edited version of The Heart Of The Matter. I hate that version, but it was cool to hear The Heart Of The Matter.

WalshFan88
02-02-2019, 02:26 PM
Just heard NKIT in the airport yesterday headed on vacation.

It was nice to hear it. I swear, it is going to break my top 5 Eagles songs someday. I really like it, and I really used to not like it. So sometimes songs grow on me. Like right now, I'm not a fan of Lyin' Eyes, but maybe someday...

My My
02-02-2019, 05:05 PM
Yep, maybe someday...

Have a good vacation WalshFan. You deserve it after your tough year. Relax and enjoy!

New Kid In Town
02-03-2019, 10:46 AM
Austin - Yeah ! I know what you mean about certain songs growing on you, totally agree. Have a great vacation and I hope you can relax and enjoy yourself - you deserve it.

Tony Trout
02-03-2019, 10:53 AM
I don't go out much anymore (health issues) but, I've never been lucky enough to hear an Eagles song while out in a store somewhere like Wal-Mart. They're too stupid to play anything good. :(

I will say, though, that my all-time favorite song by the band would have to be Randy Meisner's "Try & Love Again"! Man, what a beautifully crafted song and the harmonies are perfect!!!

I just recently purchased the new box set, "Legacy", and I'm wishing that my Dad would fix my home theatre system so that I could listen to the band's CDs (I say that because I've got two 300-CD changers and all of my CDs (the ones that aren't on my computer) are on those players.

02-03-2019, 11:57 AM
Glad NKIT has grown on you, Austin - I've always adored the song and consider it up there near the top of the band's best songs. I love how Glenn excels at singing the 'story' songs so maybe their is hope that Lyin' Eyes will grow on you as well. :grin: And, BTW, have a nice time in Florida.

And tt - I love TALA too, although, for me, TITTL will always be my favorite Randy song.

Tony Trout
02-03-2019, 07:47 PM
And tt - I love TALA too, although, for me, TITTL will always be my favorite Randy song.

TITTL will always be my top favorite, too, but when I first heard TALA on the HOTE documentary, I instantly liked it.

sodascouts
02-04-2019, 12:21 PM
I just recently purchased the new box set, "Legacy", and I'm wishing that my Dad would fix my home theatre system so that I could listen to the band's CDs (I say that because I've got two 300-CD changers and all of my CDs (the ones that aren't on my computer) are on those players.

Dang! Yeah, your dad needs to get on that!

WalshFan88
02-10-2019, 12:37 AM
Glad NKIT has grown on you, Austin - I've always adored the song and consider it up there near the top of the band's best songs. I love how Glenn excels at singing the 'story' songs so maybe their is hope that Lyin' Eyes will grow on you as well. :grin: And, BTW, have a nice time in Florida.

Thanks!

02-12-2019, 11:22 AM
Wow - I was really shocked yesterday. I had to go to one of my doctors for a routine test and truly couldn't believe my ears when I heard Life of Illusion playing. I don't think I've ever heard it playing in a public place before. It made me happy because it's one of my favorite Joe solo songs.

WalshFan88
02-12-2019, 08:25 PM
Wow - I was really shocked yesterday. I had to go to one of my doctors for a routine test and truly couldn't believe my ears when I heard Life of Illusion playing. I don't think I've ever heard it playing in a public place before. It made me happy because it's one of my favorite Joe solo songs.

That's cool! I've never heard it out and about either.

shunlvswx
02-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Even though I had already heard it on another radio, I heard Last Worthless Evening on another station this past Sunday heading to church. That’s still one song I thought I would never hear again on the radio.

CAinOH
03-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Headed out to get some errands done the other night. I have my CDs playing in the car (as usual). "You Belong to the City" comes on just as I pull up to the stop light. As (I am very sure) you all know, that song starts out with a sax solo. I look at the car ahead of me, and the license plate reads: SAXGUY. I just cracked up laughing.

LuvTim
03-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Headed out to get some errands done the other night. I have my CDs playing in the car (as usual). "You Belong to the City" comes on just as I pull up to the stop light. As (I am very sure) you all know, that song starts out with a sax solo. I look at the car ahead of me, and the license plate reads: SAXGUY. I just cracked up laughing.

Ha! That's awesome! 👍

03-02-2019, 12:26 PM
Cute story CAinOH - I love those kinda moments.

groupie2686
03-10-2019, 12:30 PM
I heard The Boys of Summer in CVS yesterday...first time I've heard an eagles/solo song in public in a long time!

New Kid In Town
03-10-2019, 02:48 PM
I heard TIE on the radio this afternoon. I had forgotten how young Glenn sounded back then.

East Texas Girl
03-11-2019, 05:03 PM
I was in Walmart this weekend and heard The End of the Innocence.

MarthaJo56
03-12-2019, 12:57 AM
On the road today from Southern California to Northern California, we stopped at a little grocery store to get some tea & water..I heard "All She Wants to Do Is Dance". I wanted to dance, of course, but I blew out my already-arthritic knee and an using a crutch. It was still great to hear that song...it's a rarity.

groupie2686
03-16-2019, 09:22 PM
I heard The Boys of Summer at the grocery store today. That's the second week in a row, I heard this song while out last weekend too!

03-17-2019, 11:21 AM
Hmmm - Sounds like there's more than a few people wishfully hoping for summer to arrive quickly. lol

groupie2686
03-18-2019, 12:58 PM
Hmmm - Sounds like there's more than a few people wishfully hoping for summer to arrive quickly. lol

I think so! I live in the northeast so we're definitely ready for summer up here lol!

MarthaJo56
03-23-2019, 12:12 AM
I was in the hospital for a couple of days this week and for the patients they have a channel with music to relax or wake up. I played the "relax" "Classic Rock" channel. The 2nd song was
"Best of my Love" :love:

sodascouts
03-24-2019, 11:41 PM
I was in the hospital for a couple of days this week and for the patients they have a channel with music to relax or wake up. I played the "relax" "Classic Rock" channel. The 2nd song was
"Best of my Love" :love:

Hope you're feeling better!

Brooke
03-25-2019, 01:27 PM
Hope you're better MJ! That music had to help!

I didn't hear the song but the title of the movie reminded me of the Eagles and Glenn-Tequila Sunrise with Mel Gibson and Michelle Pfeiffer was on. I didn't have time to watch it again, but loved it back in the day. I need to watch it again!

Pippinwhite
04-27-2019, 07:14 PM
Heard an oldies band play "Take it Easy" at Champy's Chicken in Muscle Shoals last night! Very cool!

LuvTim
04-27-2019, 07:46 PM
Heard an oldies band play "Take it Easy" at Champy's Chicken in Muscle Shoals last night! Very cool!

Sounds like you had a great night! ​😎

Pippinwhite
04-27-2019, 08:01 PM
@LuvTim -- It was fun. We ate some excellent fried chicken and fried dill pickles, too!

LuvTim
04-28-2019, 10:04 PM
@LuvTim -- It was fun. We ate some excellent fried chicken and fried dill pickles, too!

Ooh, yum! That's what ​I'm talking about!👍

Glennsallnighter
04-29-2019, 04:48 AM
I was in a bar called 'Flash Harrys' last night. Co-incidentally one I was in with Soda when she was in Dublin last year. Just as we settled down to eat a Live version of HC came on

Pippinwhite
05-07-2019, 09:39 PM
One of These Nights at trivia!

groupie2686
05-11-2019, 11:43 PM
I heard The Heart of the Matter in Bed Bath & Beyond today!

05-12-2019, 11:41 AM
Lucky you, groupie. What a gorgeous song!

groupie2686
05-21-2019, 09:28 PM
I heard Not Enough Love in the World at the grocery store this past weekend...that's two Henley songs, two weekends in a row!

sodascouts
05-23-2019, 03:11 PM
Don gets played a lot in the grocery store it seems - I got Boys of Summer!

Glennsallnighter
05-24-2019, 04:05 AM
Lovely!
One morning last week I woke up and TIE was playing on the radio. The following morning I got OOTN. I think I'll stick with Nova as a radio station

Brooke
05-29-2019, 03:24 PM
Lovely!
One morning last week I woke up and TIE was playing on the radio. The following morning I got OOTN. I think I'll stick with Nova as a radio station

I love it when that happens, Ga! Eagles music as your alarm is great, not as hard to get up to!

DiscoStrangler
05-29-2019, 09:58 PM
Too Many Hands was the opening song during the season 4 premiere of "Animal Kingdom" last night. That was pleasant surprise!

Delilah
05-31-2019, 05:32 PM
Too Many Hands was the opening song during the season 4 premiere of "Animal Kingdom" last night. That was pleasant surprise!

That’s so cool! That song is rarely heard out “in the wild.” :grin:

06-01-2019, 03:17 PM
No kidding, DS. This is definitely one of the band's lesser known songs so it's good to see it get some attention.

MarthaJo56
06-02-2019, 07:13 PM
My Kevin & I were at Lowe's Garden Center this morning buying some clearance plants. We walked inside the store and "The Last Worthless Evening" was playing. I rarely hear that song. Especially in stores. :rockguitar:

shunlvswx
06-11-2019, 09:13 AM
As I was heading to work this morning, I heard The Last Resort on the radio. That's a song I would never think they would play on the radio, but I've heard a lot of songs that weren't hit or barely played in concert.

Houston Baby
06-21-2019, 08:18 AM
I was late to work this morning because "You Belong to the City" came on the radio as I was getting out of the car in the parking garage. My boss may not understand but we do. :lol:

CAinOH
06-21-2019, 08:33 AM
I was late to work this morning because "You Belong to the City" came on the radio as I was getting out of the car in the parking garage. My boss may not understand but we do. :lol:

Why, yes... yes we do. :)

sodascouts
06-21-2019, 04:02 PM

You have to stick with that song until the last note!

shunlvswx
06-24-2019, 11:33 AM
I heard the unedited version of The Heart Of The Matter. I'm always happy to hear the whole song than the edited version. I hate how radio butchered this beautiful. This song and Lyin' Eyes they butchered.

groupie2686
06-24-2019, 02:09 PM
I heard The Last Worthless Evening in the grocery store this weekend. My local grocery store loves Don Henley, this is the third Henley song I've heard there in the past month or two!

06-30-2019, 11:11 AM
I absolutely love TLWE! I was in the drug store last night and heard I Can't Tell You Why. I don't think I've heard that one played in quite a while.

Brooke
07-02-2019, 02:41 PM
I was listening to Spotify at work yesterday and a song was playing that I didn't know. But the voice was unmistakeable! I thought, that's Don Henley! I looked to see and yes, it was. The song was Through Your Hands from the movie Michael starring John Travolta. If I ever heard it before, I didn't remember it. Great song, written by John Hiatt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu9v6JGzNrw

07-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Yep - that voice is unmistakable ... uniquely Henley!

sodascouts
07-04-2019, 11:51 AM
I love that song but it's quite the rarity. In order to put it on my iPod, I actually had to rip it from YouTube! You can't buy the Henley version.

groupie2686
07-04-2019, 04:10 PM
I heard The Last Worthless Evening in Lowe's today!

Brooke
07-05-2019, 02:37 PM
I love that song but it's quite the rarity. In order to put it on my iPod, I actually had to rip it from YouTube! You can't buy the Henley version.

That makes me surprised that Spotify played it! But I don't know much about this stuff!

CAinOH
07-14-2019, 03:57 PM
This short tale is sort of a crossover between this thread and the "Things that remind you of the Eagles", but this little trifecta is too good not to tell.

Sunday mornings at our house never starts as early as we think it should, but we do eventually get going to go out for breakfast. I head out to the building to take care of the outdoor cats and turn on the fans and the radio before starting the quick things that need to be done out there. (Really, quick things: feed, make sure the three ladies have water, and clean the cat box.) Nearly done, I realize TITTL is clearing playing in my head, so I finish, tell the cats to have a good day and start outside. Walk past the radio and, sure enough: TITTL is playing. Must have heard enough of it over the fans to get it started playing in my head.

On the way to the restaurant, one of the local radio stations plays the old Kasey Kasem Top 40 from the same weekend in the seventies. So husband and I try to guess the year by what they're playing. We figure it's 1972 or 1973. Almost to the restaurant, Mr. Kasem announces, "This is the 16th most popular song on the countdown this week, up from last week. It's from a Los Angeles group called the Eagles, and the song is Take It Easy." Okay, 1972!

The "crossover" comes once we get to the restaurant and sit down at the table. They're already busy (we're later than we wanted to be... as usual). We're just waiting for our food, and the waitress goes to the booth behind us to take their order. She says: "We're featuring a new mimosa, the Tequila Sunrise mimosa." (Does tequila mix with champagne? I don't think I really want to find out.)

Not bad for a Sunday morning! :)

New Kid In Town
07-15-2019, 08:25 AM
CA - Love your story - how cool is that !

Brooke
07-15-2019, 01:52 PM
Cool story, CA! Thanks for sharing!

My My
07-15-2019, 07:08 PM
Great little trifecta, CA! Sounds like a good Sunday morning!

shunlvswx
07-16-2019, 09:10 AM
Yesterday I heard You Belong To The City on the radio as I was heading home from work. I'm always surprised to hear any of Glenn's solo songs. My local station are always playing of course the Eagles and might pop a couple of Don's songs in there. I hear more of Don's songs than Glenn's.

07-16-2019, 09:18 PM
Seriously - talking about the star aligning up just right or maybe you were just an exceptionally good girl last week, CA.

And lucky you, shun! That may be my all time favorite Glenn solo song.

CAinOH
07-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Oh, Kasey Kasem, if you want us to guess what year the Top 40 program comes from, you need to quit giving us Eagles' songs! This week's program included Wildflower and Please Mister Please, so we were pretty sure it was 1975. But One Of These Nights at position four (and going up!) sealed it. Then there was Peaceful Easy Feeling before going in the store to pick something up and Bob Seger's Night Moves playing when we came out.

My My
07-21-2019, 04:40 PM
Yes, CA, Eagles songs are a dead give away to at least most here on the board. The othe songs I always remember as vaguely high school or a few earlier ones as junior high. If I remeber having a 45 of the song, probably junior high. Sounds like you had a great 70's soundtrack this weekend!

CAinOH
07-21-2019, 04:52 PM
Yes, CA, Eagles songs are a dead give away to at least most here on the board. The other songs I always remember as vaguely high school or a few earlier ones as junior high. If I remember having a 45 of the song, probably junior high. Sounds like you had a great 70's soundtrack this weekend!

It's WGRR out of Cincinnati. There is one dj who always plays either one of Glenn's solo songs or an Eagles' song with Glenn on the lead after a Bob Seger song. Always... With that station, we usually hear at least one Eagles song on the weekend. The local nonprofit oldies station plays more obscure stuff, like Midnight Flyer.

New Kid In Town
07-22-2019, 09:31 AM
It's WGRR out of Cincinnati. There is one dj who always plays either one of Glenn's solo songs or an Eagles' song with Glenn on the lead after a Bob Seger song. Always... With that station, we usually hear at least one Eagles song on the weekend. The local nonprofit oldies station plays more obscure stuff, like Midnight Flyer.

Wow CA, you had a great weekend for Eagles songs. Sounds like a great radio station. I like my classic rock station but I can't remember them playing a Glenn song followed by a Bob Seger song - very cool ! Yep, you are right, as soon as I hear an Eagles song I know the year - lol !

sodascouts
07-22-2019, 02:35 PM
Today I heard a song I needed to hear! As I've said elsewhere, I'm visiting my family. Today we had some high stress drama at the airport picking up my nephews as my parents, who it seems get agitated over so little nowadays, were hollering at each other - Dad felt that they had parked too far away and it was Mom's fault because she had told him to turn too early and now we would be late to pick up my nephews blahblahblah... I was tense, then "Take It Easy" came on the airport loudspeakers. I instantly felt better. THANK YOU EAGLES!!

07-22-2019, 07:53 PM
Sorry the airport trip was so stressful, Soda. But, thank goodness for the healing power of great music - glad it made you feel better.

shunlvswx
07-26-2019, 09:06 AM
I heard The Sad Cafe on my way to work this morning. It took a second to figure out it was the Sad Cafe. When I heard the piano introduction, I was like, "That song sounds familiar."

CAinOH
07-26-2019, 10:26 AM
I heard The Sad Cafe on my way to work this morning. It took a second to figure out it was the Sad Cafe. When I heard the piano introduction, I was like, "That song sounds familiar."

That's funny. Sometimes it takes a while for my brain to kick into gear when I hear their songs over the PA systems in the store. I was halfway through humming along on "How Long" at Kroger one night before I realized, "Hey! This is the Eagles!"

07-27-2019, 11:37 AM
OH MY! Looks like we are going to have to send you two back to the Eagles 101 class. :twisted:

Actually, it may be best it we don't tell anyone about this - it'll just be our dirty little secret. :shh:

:wink: :grin:

CAinOH
07-27-2019, 01:18 PM
OH MY! Looks like we are going to have to send you two back to the Eagles 101 class. :twisted:

Actually, it may be best it we don't tell anyone about this - it'll just be our dirty little secret. :shh:

:wink: :grin:

Is that the class where we have to listen to Eagles all day long? Where do I sign up? :)

07-28-2019, 10:33 AM
Yep - that's the one. You listen to the music repeatedly as the instructor slowly dissects the anatomy of the band. Brutal, huh?

I think the course was dropped - maybe a lack of participation because the tuition was too steep. :twisted:

shunlvswx
07-29-2019, 11:03 AM
Sign me up. Who's teaching the class? Is their an Eagle in there somewhere? LOL

Oh come on. I'm not the only one that it takes a second to figure out which song is playing. :laugh:

CAinOH
07-29-2019, 01:16 PM
Sign me up. Who's teaching the class? Is their an Eagle in there somewhere? LOL

Oh come on. I'm not the only one that it takes a second to figure out which song is playing. :laugh:

No, we've already established there's at least two of us. :D

sodascouts
07-30-2019, 10:39 AM
Heard "James Dean" in Cain's Chicken yesterday! Inescapable Eagles! ;)

shunlvswx
07-30-2019, 11:35 AM
I heard Midnight Flyer this morning on the way to work. Yes I did recognize it. lol

CAinOH
07-31-2019, 02:14 PM
Not sure if this is exactly where this goes, but here it is...

My bff just texted me, saying she kept forgetting to tell me, but the Eagles were the Final Jeopardy question on Jeopardy on July 25th. Category: 1970s Album Reviews. The answer: "Rolling Stone said this 1976 album had "the best & worst tendencies of L.A.-situated rock" and was an "unflattering portrait of the milieu."

So, what's the question? :)

(And I apologize if someone else posted this. I don't remember seeing it.)

CAinOH
08-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Today I heard a song I needed to hear! As I've said elsewhere, I'm visiting my family. Today we had some high stress drama at the airport picking up my nephews as my parents, who it seems get agitated over so little nowadays, were hollering at each other - Dad felt that they had parked too far away and it was Mom's fault because she had told him to turn too early and now we would be late to pick up my nephews blahblahblah... I was tense, then "Take It Easy" came on the airport loudspeakers. I instantly felt better. THANK YOU EAGLES!!

I have an "add-on" to this: Today some people from Columbus and the Secretary of State's office is coming "to visit." We've never had anyone from the SOS come here. I'll admit: I'm a little nervous about it. My office is clean for the first time... ever. This morning I go out into the building to take care of the cats before going to work. Flip on the radio... and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" is playing. Yep, I needed that.

Now all I have to do is stay busy until 2pm...

My My
08-01-2019, 02:23 PM
I have an "add-on" to this: Today some people from Columbus and the Secretary of State's office is coming "to visit." We've never had anyone from the SOS come here. I'll admit: I'm a little nervous about it. My office is clean for the first time... ever. This morning I go out into the building to take care of the cats before going to work. Flip on the radio... and "Peaceful Easy Feeling" is playing. Yep, I needed that.

Now all I have to do is stay busy until 2pm...

So, have they left yet? Are you back browsing threads on the board pretending to look busy or are you actually staying busy?

CAinOH
08-01-2019, 04:05 PM
So, have they left yet? Are you back browsing threads on the board pretending to look busy or are you actually staying busy?

I'm sure my co-workers are wondering why I'm laughing out loud right now. You and Pippinwhite made my day. They just left. (Which means we can turn the WiFi back on.) And, yes, I managed to stay busy by working on a "little" problem that I would have abandoned (because I had an alternative) quickly just to keep my mind occupied. But they're gone... and I'm still here.

And I'm kinda digging this clean office. Wonder how long I'll keep it?

sodascouts
08-01-2019, 05:04 PM
Not sure if this is exactly where this goes, but here it is...

My bff just texted me, saying she kept forgetting to tell me, but the Eagles were the Final Jeopardy question on Jeopardy on July 25th. Category: 1970s Album Reviews. The answer: "Rolling Stone said this 1976 album had "the best & worst tendencies of L.A.-situated rock" and was an "unflattering portrait of the milieu."

So, what's the question? :)

(And I apologize if someone else posted this. I don't remember seeing it.)

My Mom watches Jeopardy a little later because she records it on her DV-R. I was so excited that I knew the answer to a final Jeopardy question! ;)

And glad those SOS folks have left so you can relax!

FreyFollower
08-02-2019, 04:44 AM
When reading the Rolling Stone quote, I'm sure I'm not the only one who hears Bob Costas in their head, reading it to Glenn during his '80s interview. Funny how Jeopardy used the same references.

shunlvswx
08-02-2019, 02:47 PM
I was in Walmart last night getting items and I heard The Boys Of Summer on the intercom. I just love when an Eagles or the guys solo songs play in the store.

Makes me think of Don saying something about hearing the musik version of Desperado while you are staring at the frozen peas.

shunlvswx
08-07-2019, 09:13 AM
I usually record I Want My 80s on MTV Classic because sometimes they will play one of Glenn or Don's song. So this morning, I was watching yesterday's episode of I Want My 80s and they played How Long. It was weird because 1: That's the first time they've ever played an Eagles song and 2: The song came out in 2007. Its not an 80s song, but it was cool to hear it. I was so shocked. They also played David Bowie's 2013 single The Stars Are Out Tonight.

sodascouts
08-07-2019, 01:13 PM
I usually record I Want My 80s on MTV Classic because sometimes they will play one of Glenn or Don's song. So this morning, I was watching yesterday's episode of I Want My 80s and they played How Long. I was because 1: That's the first time they've ever played an Eagles song and 2: The song came out in 2007. Its not an 80s song, but it was cool to hear it. I was so shocked. They also played David Bowie's 2013 single The Stars Are Out Tonight.

Bizarre but cool!

groupie2686
08-09-2019, 12:33 PM
I usually record I Want My 80s on MTV Classic because sometimes they will play one of Glenn or Don's song. So this morning, I was watching yesterday's episode of I Want My 80s and they played How Long. It was weird because 1: That's the first time they've ever played an Eagles song and 2: The song came out in 2007. Its not an 80s song, but it was cool to hear it. I was so shocked. They also played David Bowie's 2013 single The Stars Are Out Tonight.

I was watching I Want My 80s the other night too, which I rarely watch, and they played All She Wants to Do is Dance!

I noticed that too, though, that they played videos that were not from the 80s. They played Queen's The Show Must Go On, which came out in the 90s.

shunlvswx
08-09-2019, 02:37 PM
I was watching I Want My 80s the other night too, which I rarely watch, and they played All She Wants to Do is Dance!

I noticed that too, though, that they played videos that were not from the 80s. They played Queen's The Show Must Go On, which came out in the 90s.

They usually play All She Wants To Do is Dance. I think I did hear it this week, but I know I heard it last week.

They use to play The End of The Innocence, You Belong To The City and The Boys of Summer. They haven't played those videos that much since they change the channel from VH1 Classics to MTV Classics.

I had wonder about The Show Must Go On too. That's 91. That came out a few months before Freddie died.

Glennsallnighter
08-12-2019, 11:29 AM
I was in a restaurant last night - Captain Americas. Its kind of like an Irish equivalent of TGIF. It has loads of music memorabilia, and in the rafters it has rack upon rack of album sleeves inclusing several Eagles albums, and Glenn :heart:'s NFA.
Anyway as we were being lead to our table PEF came on, and then while we were eating our meal we were treated to THIO!

shunlvswx
08-12-2019, 11:42 AM
I was in WalMart and I heard Sunset Grill.