PDA

View Full Version : New Year's Resolutions for 2009

ticky
01-01-2009, 02:33 PM
First of all HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Second, I'd like to say I believe resolutions need to be small and easy so they can be carried through. Small resolutions may not be impressive, but over a years time, they make big differences! Two years ago I resolved to not buy chips of any kind (by this I mean potato chips, corn chips, cheesey poofs or anything like that) This doesnt mean I dont eat them, or even buy them occasionally (Im only human *G*) but for the most part, I dont. I lost about 25-30 lbs that year just from that small change. Last year I cut out alcohol and whipped cream (by the same rules *G* and uhh.. I never used them together.. much *G*) and again lost another 25 lbs.

This year I am resolving to eat a high protein breakfast every morning and to NOT forget to take my vitamins! (this is pretty important for me due to my freakish digestive system and past surgeries ya'll prolly all know about)

I also resolve to take on more of the responsibilities of the extended family picnic/reunion (this also may not sound like a big deal, but believe me, this one is HUGE!!)

There you have it. Three simple things that I hope will make a big difference in a years time. (notice I did not mention the guys, concerts, my guitar or Joe?? cuz those aren't resolutions.. those are givens *G*)

DonFan
01-01-2009, 07:23 PM
Ticky, good luck with your resolutions. I am inspired by your success at cutting out certain foods and losing so much weight! Way to go, girl! I must find something to cut out of my diet so I can lose some weight, too.

This reminds me of a conversation I had three years ago with my youngest daughter, who was 12 at the time. We had just been to church and her Sunday School teacher was encouraging all the kids to give up something for Lent, so she decided to give up Coke. She asked me what I was going to give up, and as I was trying to think of what food to stop eating, she said, "I know, Mom--you can give up the Eagles for Lent!" Needless to say, I said "NO WAY." :laugh:

Anyway, here are my resolutions this year:

Eat healthier and exercise more
Stop using my VISA and pay it off if possible
Clean out and give away and/or sell some of my excess stuff

I didn't add Find a New Job because that is mandatory!

Wildthyme
01-02-2009, 04:56 AM
I am with ticky that resolutions have to be simple and doable or you set yourself up for failure. You can't expect yourself to be 100% perfect but if you give it your best effort and resolve to tackle the changes one day at a time you may be surprised at your success...

As for me for this year I resolve to:

Turn off my computer earlier and get to bed earlier on week nights so I am better rested during the work week

Keep a positive and productive attitude at work the next seven months even though my job will come to an end this summer (and like DF, finding a new job is a necessity not a resolution...)

Try to put something in my savings account every month, no matter how little

Spend more time outside -- plant some flowers, cultivate a small garden, take the dog for longer walks

thelongrun
01-02-2009, 04:44 PM
Interesting how few replies here:whip:

Me? Well God knows I want to quit smoking cigarretes, Damn I can't!:brickwall:
So hard you know... I feel like a Drug adict (I guess..):oops:

Brooke
01-02-2009, 05:31 PM
:lol: I hate to put mine in print cause I might have to try harder if I see it in black & white! :eyebrow:

TimothyBFan
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I made a resolution about 15 years ago that has held up since--that is to not make any New Years Resolutions! I was always a failure when it came to those so why disappoint myself every year!

tbs fanatic
01-02-2009, 05:57 PM
HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone. I'm impressed by your sensible resolutions ticky. I think I should try that. I have my usual LOSE WEIGHT resolution but no master plan :roll:. I do want to exercise more and think I will be more successful with that one. I'm usually gun-ho at the beginning but that all fades away after a while and then it's all a chore. Part of my problem is there is way too much drama in our house - usually involving the boys :argue: and that stresses me out and ticks me off and suddenly I'm throwing all my well laid plans out the window :sigh:. Oh well, maybe we can periodically remind each other to get back on track with our resolutions.

Peekaboo
01-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Interesting how few replies here:whip:

Me? Well God knows I want to quit smoking cigarretes, Damn I can't!:brickwall:
So hard you know... I feel like a Drug adict (I guess..):oops:

I'm in the same boat here. I've made a resolution to quit smoking. But i'm going to ease myself off of them. I quit cold turkey for 2 months last year and then started up again just before Thanksgiving. I let stress get to me and started smoking again as a crutch. Stress is another thing for this year. I'm going to try not to let things bother me so much. I also want to make my life healthier on the inside and out. Here's to a wonderful 2009!!!

Glennsallnighter
01-02-2009, 08:54 PM
This reminds me of a conversation I had three years ago with my youngest daughter, who was 12 at the time. We had just been to church and her Sunday School teacher was encouraging all the kids to give up something for Lent, so she decided to give up Coke. She asked me what I was going to give up, and as I was trying to think of what food to stop eating, she said, "I know, Mom--you can give up the Eagles for Lent!" Needless to say, I said "NO WAY." :laugh:

My hubby suggested the same last year! However he knew he hadn't a hope of me doing that!! Particularly as the gig was Holy Thursday.

Ticky that is such a sensible way of changing your life. Not a big turnaround, but a few simple changes can sometimes be a better option.

To those of you giving up smoking take heart from a friend of hubby's and I quote
'Giving up smoking is easy.....I've done it loads of times'

On a more serious note I hope it works out for everyone intending to give up smoking and those intending to make lifestyle changes.

My New Years Resolution is to embark on the 'Great Eagles Eliminator Diet and Exercise Plan' as developed Troubador and I last week. The plan is to look better than we ever did by the time the summer tour comes around.

sodascouts
01-03-2009, 02:48 AM
1) Be more self-disciplined / stop procrastinating
2) Attend church more regularly / tithe
3) Lose weight

Prettymaid
01-03-2009, 10:03 AM
At work we have started a Biggest Loser game. Every Friday we give $2.00 and get weighed. After 16 weeks the person who has lost the most percentage wins the pot! Pretty good incentive!

One of the most influential books I've ever read is Conversations With God by Neale Donald Walsch. It teaches us that our thoughts are very powerful, and actually determine the course of our life.
One of my resolutions is always to be aware of what I'm thinking and saying, and if necessary, change those thoughts and words to ones that are more loving. This is much more difficult than it sounds!

EagleLady
01-03-2009, 10:58 AM
My resolution is to not make any resolutions cause I know I won't be able to keep them!

Littlemelly9
01-03-2009, 02:11 PM
love my god son

easy enough:)

eaglesvet
01-03-2009, 09:11 PM
I had been a regular at my YMCA until about a year ago, and then it just became so easy/convenient to do other things at the times my Pilates class was offered (which I enjoyed)...never mind at the times I worked out on the aerobic machines (treadmill, stationary bike, etc.--which I didn't enjoy as much.) But seeing as I keep paying the reasonably expensive fees to the Y, I am resolving to going back to my workout regimen beginning next week. I know I will feel better and be stronger in the long run. (Oh, I didn't even mean to invoke the Eagles on this one...but it works!)

Prettymaid
01-04-2009, 05:59 PM
EV, you know I don't understand why you don't treat yourself better...:fingerwag:;):grin:

EagleLady
01-04-2009, 06:00 PM
:rofl: PM

eaglesvet
01-05-2009, 03:09 PM
EV, you know I don't understand why you don't treat yourself better...:fingerwag:;):grin:
LOL... clever! I guess that could be a mantra for many of our resolutions. Just another way to put the Eagles to use for us! (As if we needed anything more...)

ticky
01-05-2009, 06:25 PM
LOL... clever! I guess that could be a mantra for many of our resolutions. Just another way to put the Eagles to use for us! (As if we needed anything more...)

I could think of oohhh so many ways to put them to use......

EagleLady
01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
I can think of a way to use Glenn or Don :twisted: