PDA

View Full Version : For My Wedding

Stars
01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
Is anyone else as enamored with this song as I am?? I just love the melody, the lyrics, the simple arrangement, and of course Don's beautiful voice in this song. I have listened to it over and over again!:heart::smitten:

"To want what I have, to take what I'm given with grace"

DonFan
01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I'm with you, Stars--I think it is a gorgeous song. It is eloquent in its simplicity and the world-weary beauty of Don's voice suits it perfectly.

Stars
01-03-2009, 03:57 PM
DF, you put into words exactly what I feel about this song-Don's "world weary" voice does suit it perfectly! I would love to see him do this song live!:heart:

Mrs Henley
01-03-2009, 04:26 PM
I'm with you, Stars--I think it is a gorgeous song. It is eloquent in its simplicity and the world-weary beauty of Don's voice suits it perfectly.

DF, I don't have to say anything anymore .. you already did. I agree totally with you! The lyric, the music, Don's voice, It's in perfect harmony

Peekaboo
01-03-2009, 07:35 PM
He's looking pretty good in the video too. Gotta love those blue eyes.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c95/Pekahchu/Don%20Henley/DonEyes.jpg

Ive always been a dreamer
01-03-2009, 10:52 PM
I know how much many of you like this song. I have really tried to like it and I love the sentiment of the song, but it just doesn't move me for some reason. It has beautifiul lyrics, and I agree with DF - Don's delivery is gorgeous. Unfortunately, the melody is very flat to me.

The song reminds me a lot of I Love To Watch a Woman Dance which was also written by Larry J. McNally. Both songs have great lyrics, but the melodies keep them from being great songs. I do like ILTWAWD a lot better though because I think its melody is stronger and more interesting. I have also seen it performed live, which could very well influence my feelings. It is very possible that I would feel much the same way about For My Wedding if I saw Don perform it live.

And OBTW - yes Pb, Don is gorgeous in that pic.

EagleLady
01-03-2009, 10:56 PM
I strongly disagree with you there Dreamer. The melody is perfect for the song IMO.

Stars
01-04-2009, 09:19 AM
EL, I agree that the melody is perfect for the lyrics. I hear that song in my head so often-maybe because I have listened to it so many times!:wink:

Maleah
01-04-2009, 08:26 PM
I gotta disagree too. I think the melody is very fitting for it. ILTWAWD is very similar.....but gotta go wtih For My Wedding as far as which one I like more. And that doesn't even have anything to do with Don. I just like the lyrics and song better.

01-05-2009, 11:54 AM
As I said, I know many of you all love this song, and I appreciate that. Whenever I find myself in the minority opinion about a song, I always wonder "what am I missing" (or if I like the song "what in this song appeals to me that may not appeal to others")? Obviously, it all boils down to personal taste, but when this happens, it does sometimes make me think "what's wrong with me - I'm supposed to like this song". Well folks - all I can say is I tried, but it just ain't happening for me. :wink: :lol:

EagleLady
01-05-2009, 11:57 AM
It's cool Dreamer. That's what makes this board so great, we all have different opinions and we each bring something different to the table.

Maleah
01-05-2009, 12:04 PM
As I said, I know. many of you all love this song, and I appreciate that. Whenever I find myself in the minority opinion about a song, I always wonder "what am I missing" (or if I like the song "what in this song appeals to me that may not appeal to others")? Obviously, it all boils down to personal taste, but when this happens, it does sometimes make me think "what's wrong with me - I'm supposed to like this song". Well folks - all I can say is I tried, but it just ain't happening for me. :wink: :lol:

Silly girl :) There's nothing wrong with you just because you don't like the song. There's a lot of people here who LOVE ILTWAWD and I have tried over and over again to fall in love with it......but as much as I love Glenn, it just won't happen. Its all a matter of personal taste!

01-05-2009, 12:16 PM
I think my only hope is to have a private viewing of Don performing it to see if I like it any better. :nod: :nod:

Freypower
01-05-2009, 07:49 PM
I didn't know if I should say anything about this or not. I didn't much like For My Wedding at first either. It has grown on me. I like the austerity and restraint of it. I think the sentiments are admirable but that's about where it ends. I like the way he sings it because I somehow prefer it when he 'holds back' to some extent. But it could never be a favourite of mine.

I can see why Henley fans will prefer this to ILTWAWD. Why did ILTWAWD reach out and grab me while this didn't? It's horrible to say that there is one reason. It should not be as basic as that. I prefer the waltz tempo of ILTW and I suppose I imagine more possibilities in its lyrics than I can in the lyrics of FMW. I hope that is 'objective' enough.

I will just comment here that when Inside Job first came out I did not like it at all, not one song, except perhaps Goodbye To A River. The more I hear it, however, the more it grows on me, though there are at least four songs (including this one) that I will never class as particularly good songs.

Brooke
01-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I remember when I first saw the video of FMW on CMT. I was just thrilled to see Don, period, and I thought he looked soooooo good and it was such a sweet sentiment.

For me, the song is ok, but not one of my faves.

SweetHolly
01-06-2009, 09:05 PM
I didn't like For My Wedding the first few times I listened to it but it's really grown on me to where it's now one of my favorite songs by Don.