PDA

View Full Version : The Soundtrack of Your Life

Prettymaid
01-06-2009, 09:11 AM
This happens to everybody, not just me right? You go through your day and you realize that very often there's a song in your head. Maybe you wake up in the morning with a song in your head and you have absolutely no idea how it got there - or maybe you do. Maybe you heard a song on the radio 3 hours ago and the radio has moved on but your brain hasn't!

This is the place to come to if you want to clear your head. Just post the name of the song that is (or was) in your head and if you know why post that too! And if the song in your head has been covered (my head is very detailed), post which version is stuck in there! Maybe we can psychoanalyze each other, or at the very least, just have fun!

I'll start...

This morning I woke up with Lindsey Buckingham's version of Trouble in my head. I have no idea why. I don't remember hearing it recently. I've been awake for 2 hours and it's still in there. Could be an indication of a bad day!

TimothyBFan
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Cathy--You will be so sorry you started this topic with me!! There is never a moment, awake or asleep (I literally dream music), that I don't have a song going thru my head. I go to bed at night with a song and wake up with either the same song or a different one. Sometimes it's a song I have heard or sometimes something that I hear or say will trigger it. Sometimes it's a bit irritating but since I can't ever remember it not being that way for me, I have grown very used to it.

This morning the song I have going thru my head (are you ready-cause this one is a weird one!) is Those Were The Days My Friend! Now the reason why--my husband and I play this game, we will think of some obscure song and try to stump the other one on who it was by or how many versions there are or different questions about it. Anyways my husband came home last night with this one wanting to know who it was by. I always win at this game--I am absolutely great at it! I got him once again, but then proceeded to check to see if I had it downloaded and since I didn't, I downloaded it and listened to it. Big mistake! :brickwall: By the way, if anyone is interested, it's by Mary Hopkins.:)

ticky
01-06-2009, 11:33 AM
Ok, Im really weird...or maybe Im just the mother of a 5 year old. Ever heard of a song called Skiddamarinkadink? (sp?) well, it's relentlessly playing in my brain sung by Sharon Lois and Braham, a children's trio who USED to be on tv 10 years ago.

Im going to go find my Ipod.

eaglesvet
01-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Cathy--You will be so sorry you started this topic with me!! There is never a moment, awake or asleep (I literally dream music), that I don't have a song going thru my head. I go to bed at night with a song and wake up with either the same song or a different one. Sometimes it's a song I have heard or sometimes something that I hear or say will trigger it. Sometimes it's a bit irritating but since I can't ever remember it not being that way for me, I have grown very used to it.

This morning the song I have going thru my head (are you ready-cause this one is a weird one!) is Those Were The Days My Friend! Now the reason why--my husband and I play this game, we will think of some obscure song and try to stump the other one on who it was by or how many versions there are or different questions about it. Anyways my husband came home last night with this one wanting to know who it was by. I always win at this game--I am absolutely great at it! I got him once again, but then proceeded to check to see if I had it downloaded and since I didn't, I downloaded it and listened to it. Big mistake! :brickwall: By the way, if anyone is interested, it's by Mary Hopkins.:)
Too funny! That was my mother's favorite song when I was young, but I never heard of that artist. I always thought it was Liza Minelli or someone like that. I just looked on Wikipedia, and found out it was released in 1968 with Paul McCartney as the producer!

Prettymaid
01-06-2009, 01:34 PM
From the biography Paul McCartney - Many Years From Now by Barry Miles the story goes:

Paul was having dinner with Twiggy and her manager and the conversation turned to TV talent shows.Twiggy said she had seen a great 17 yr. old singer named Mary Hopkin on the show Opportunity Knocks. Paul tuned in the following week, liked what he saw and heard and signed her to Apple. It was Paul who thought of the song Those Were The Days for her. The song reached #1 in the UK, toppling Hey Jude from that position. In the USA where Hey Jude kept it from the top, it reached #2.

TimothyBFan
01-06-2009, 01:49 PM
I'm laughing to myself right now thinking about when Larry gets home and I start rambling off all of the above to him!:laugh: He hasn't stumped me at our little game for awhile and this kind of stuff is why. I absorb worthless trivia about music like a sponge. I remember some of the dumbest most obscure songs that no one else remembers (case in point-the above and see Name That Tune sometime last week when I remembered that Jeans On by Keith Urban was originally done by a guy named David Dundas).

Now if I could only remember where I put my keys, what time to pick up the kids etc.... so easily!:brickwall:

Freypower
01-06-2009, 05:30 PM
This is going to be predictable, but at the moment it's Glenn's Some Kind Of Wonderful. I can't get enough of it. I woke up thinking of Business As Usual. Often if I have a song in my head it depends what I last heard on the iPod. I know the next track on there is Ella Fitzgerald's See See Rider. I need blues!

Prettymaid
01-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Well, fortunately the song Trouble did not imply a bad day. It went pretty smoothly.

Today is Hubby's birthday and he likes Michael Buble' so I've got his version of The Best Is Yet to Come in my head. I think when he gets home from work I'll play it for him and dance him around the living room!

TimothyBFan
01-06-2009, 07:01 PM
Well, fortunately the song Trouble did not imply a bad day. It went pretty smoothly.

Today is Hubby's birthday and he likes Michael Buble' so I've got his version of The Best Is Yet to Come in my head. I think when he gets home from work I'll play it for him and dance him around the living room!

Oohh Baby--what will you be wearing? :heybaby:

Prettymaid
01-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Oohh Baby--what will you be wearing? :heybaby:

Saran wrap!

Prettymaid
01-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Ok, Im really weird...or maybe Im just the mother of a 5 year old. Ever heard of a song called Skiddamarinkadink? (sp?) well, it's relentlessly playing in my brain sung by Sharon Lois and Braham, a children's trio who USED to be on tv 10 years ago.

Ticky, is that as much of a rocker as Itsy Bitsy Spider?

ticky
01-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Close! it all depends on the tempo and how loud you crank it!! (Head banging helps too)

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Hope that Saran Wrap thingy went well, PM. :twisted:

Now the song that has been going through my head all day long is Busy Being Fabulous. Why - well yesterday afternoon, I had to pick up my 4 year old niece and 7 year old nephew up from school. Of course, I had LROOE in the CD player on the drive home. I already knew they love How Long, so I was looking forward to watching them sing when it came on. They did not disappoint me. However, to my surprize, they also both got into singing BBF as well. I stayed over their house for dinner, and the entire evening both of them kept singing "You're just too busy being fabulous, too busy to think about us". Of course, I felt obligated to try to teach them more of the lyrics. :wink:

Peekaboo
01-07-2009, 12:34 AM

OMG Rhonda!!! I can't believe you brought up that song!!! I used to sing that song all the time when I was a kid. It was the song that was sung on my favorite tv show when Nickalodeon first came out. The show was called The Elephant Show. I dont' remember a whole lot about that show but i definitely remember the song. "Skiddamarinkadinky dink skiddamarinky doo, I love you" I can't believe i still remember that song.

Peekaboo
01-07-2009, 12:42 AM
PM, I'm glad you started this topic. I was thinking about starting one like this myself. A couple of weeks ago I had Glenn's song True Love stuck in my head for the longest time and even found myself singing it at work.

ticky
01-07-2009, 01:08 AM
OMG Rhonda!!! I can't believe you brought up that song!!! I used to sing that song all the time when I was a kid. It was the song that was sung on my favorite tv show when Nickalodeon first came out. The show was called The Elephant Show. I dont' remember a whole lot about that show but i definitely remember the song. "Skiddamarinkadinky dink skiddamarinky doo, I love you" I can't believe i still remember that song.

THE ELEPHANT SHOW!!! with Sharon Lois and Braham!!! That was it!! (oh dear God, it's back now... Skidda ma rink a dink a dink.. skid a ma-rink a dooo... I loove youuu... menu.. playlist.. JOE!!!)

Peekaboo
01-07-2009, 01:16 AM
LOL!!! I even remember the little dance or arm motions or whatever the heck it is that you do when they sing that freakin song. Great...now i can't get that song outta my head.:brickwall:

ticky
01-07-2009, 04:09 AM
hehehe Jess, welcome to my hell

(and I remember those too)

Mrs Henley
01-07-2009, 06:54 AM
WOW Rhonda, what a title of a song.. never heard of it, and as I read it, I even don't want to hear it. :lol:

The song today in my head is Stronger by Britney Spears, I really don't have any idea why that song
anyway, the line "Stronger than yesterday ..
now its nothin' but my way" is been the whole time in my head..
I hope it means something today..

TimothyBFan
01-07-2009, 08:10 AM
Saran wrap!

How'd that work out for ya?

Jamie's Crying from Van Halen and don't ask me why because I have no idea!

Prettymaid
01-07-2009, 08:34 AM
Hope that Saran Wrap thingy went well, PM. :twisted:

Now the song that has been going through my head all day long is Busy Being Fabulous. Why - well yesterday afternoon, I had to pick up my 4 year old niece and 7 year old nephew up from school. Of course, I had LROOE in the CD player on the drive home. I already knew they love How Long, so I was looking forward to watching them sing when it came on. They did not disappoint me. However, to my surprize, they also both got into singing BBF as well. I stayed over their house for dinner, and the entire evening both of them kept singing "You're just too busy being fabulous, too busy to think about us". Of course, I felt obligated to try to teach them more of the lyrics. :wink:

Dreamer, keep it up and soon they'll be up to Last Good Time In Town. I can just hear the cute little voices now... :singer: AND I DREAM I'M ON VACATION... :headbang:

As far as the saran wrap, I wouldn't recommend it. It's a great look for me but he couldn't find the end to peel it off! ;-)

Today I woke up with the song Lawyers In Love by Jackson Brown in my head. I heard it on the ipod a couple of days ago. Funny how long it took my brain to nab on to it!

Brooke
01-07-2009, 11:33 AM
I've been listening to some of Don's solo stuff and last night when I went to bed Lilah was playing in my head.

There was nothing this morning or yet today. I'm very busy at work.

ticky
01-07-2009, 11:37 AM
I avoided the entire issue this morning. I put my Ipod on before I even got out of bed. *G* YEA!! No Skiddamarinkydink!! Just Joe *G*

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2009, 12:26 PM
Dreamer, keep it up and soon they'll be up to Last Good Time In Town. I can just hear the cute little voices now... :singer: AND I DREAM I'M ON VACATION... :headbang:

Oh, PM - that's already happened with the 11 year old niece, Eaglette. That is her favorite song on LROOE. She went with me to the Hard Rock show last June as her birthday present, and her Christmas present this year is a ticket to the Hampton show next week. These are her choices, but I must say this girl is wise beyond her years. :wink: :nod:

Troubadour
01-07-2009, 01:17 PM
I've had One Of These Nights in my head since yesterday because I went to the pub with one of our service users and they played it while we were there. (Ever been to a pub when you're working and can't drink? SUCKS!)

Prettymaid
01-07-2009, 02:03 PM
Oh, PM - that's already happened with the 11 year old niece, Eaglette. That is her favorite song on LROOE. I must say this girl is wise beyond her years. :wink: :nod:

Apparently so, Dreamer! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
01-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Whenever I walk at a brisk pace, "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks come into my head. This happens all the time. Don't ask me why. lol

I've had Don's "My Thankgiving" stuck in my head today.

Prettymaid
01-07-2009, 02:31 PM
Whenever I walk at a brisk pace, "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks come into my head. This happens all the time. Don't ask me why. lol

Remember the beginning of the movie Saturday Night Fever with John Travolta walking to Staying Alive? That's how I'm picturing you now Soda! :hilarious:

Peekaboo
01-07-2009, 07:03 PM
I avoided the entire issue this morning. I put my Ipod on before I even got out of bed. *G* YEA!! No Skiddamarinkydink!! Just Joe *G*

I wasn't that lucky when I woke up today!!! Dear God, please get this song outta my head!!!! :brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Glennsallnighter
01-07-2009, 07:04 PM
I LOVE that scene!!

HT (from Dublin) was the first song I heard in the car today so that has been in my head since. I love the crecendo it builds up to and then the 'Thank You Dublin' . Nearly confers ownership of the song on me!!

sodascouts
01-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Remember the beginning of the movie Saturday Night Fever with John Travolta walking to Staying Alive? That's how I'm picturing you now Soda! :hilarious:

LOL! Never thought of it that way! ;)

Peekaboo
01-10-2009, 07:37 PM
I woke up for just a few seconds this morning and was hearing Waiting in the Weeds playing in my head then went right back to sleep. That was the last song I heard before I went to bed. I was listening to a cd that i made of all the songs on the setlist of this tour to get me in the mood for the upcoming concert in Tampa.

sodascouts
01-11-2009, 01:11 AM
Today a couple friends visited me who are big fans of the Four Seasons. They were playing them in the car as we drove around town. Every since then, Sherry (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myIG9PEwXZw) has been stuck in my head!

Prettymaid
01-11-2009, 01:22 PM
When I watched the CMA's I discovered that I enjoyed Lady Antebellum, and their song Lookin' For A Good Time is stuck in my head today!

Peekaboo
01-15-2009, 09:52 PM
I only remember listening to Glenn singing I Hear You Knocking once yesterday but that was enough for me to hear his sweet voice in my head singing that song as soon as I woke up today.

TimothyBFan
01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
It's Not The Night by the Cars has been going thru my head for 2 days now. I have been listening to a lot of music too but it's still there.:brickwall:

Prettymaid
01-16-2009, 08:56 AM
Last weekend I downloaded a few songs from the Concert For
George including Paul McCartney's version of All Things Must Pass. Now I can't get it out of my head!

TimothyBFan
01-30-2009, 09:57 AM
Flipping channels last night and hit VH1 and they were playing HFO!! :inlove: Hubby said to leave it there (God bless him!!). I actually hadn't seen it for awhile (lent out my copy to a friend and haven't gotten it back yet) and of course they cut out a lot of it but it was really great to watch it unexpectantly. Anyways, I woke up this morning and now can't get Pretty Maids All In A Row out of my head!

Why that one instead of any of the others. I often wonder why, when you've listened to a whole cd or several songs on the radio or ipod, one song will get stuck in your head. Anyone here with a degree in this kind of thing? :confused:

Prettymaid
01-30-2009, 01:22 PM
Anyways, I woke up this morning and now can't get Pretty Maids All In A Row out of my head!

Why that one instead of any of the others. I often wonder why, when you've listened to a whole cd or several songs on the radio or ipod, one song will get stuck in your head. Anyone here with a degree in this kind of thing? :confused:

No idea Willie, but Joe does put alot of heart into the HFO Pretty Maids.

TimothyBFan
02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Does anyone here remember a group from the early 70's called The Raspberries? They had a song called Go All The Way and Eric Carmen was the lead singer (do any of you remember him?). Well that is the song that has been going thru my head all day. I did not recall ever hearing of them before even tho I knew of Eric Carmen because of the song All By Myself.

There has been a feud between the Sweet board I'm on and the Eric Carmen board members about who is best blah blah blah... anyways I was sat straight by Eric himself that he had several hits and about the Raspberries group. Hey, you learn something new every day and if you can learn it from a genuine rock and roller--even better! :hilarious:

Brooke
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
I remember both of those songs and Eric Carmen and The Raspberries, TBF. But that's all I remember about them.

sodascouts
02-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Gotta love it when the stars visit the message boards of their fan! Although I suppose that might make the fans a bit less vocal about certain things! lol

Freypower
02-04-2009, 07:56 PM
Does anyone here remember a group from the early 70's called The Raspberries? They had a song called Go All The Way and Eric Carmen was the lead singer (do any of you remember him?). Well that is the song that has been going thru my head all day. I did not recall ever hearing of them before even tho I knew of Eric Carmen because of the song All By Myself.

There has been a feud between the Sweet board I'm on and the Eric Carmen board members about who is best blah blah blah... anyways I was sat straight by Eric himself that he had several hits and about the Raspberries group. Hey, you learn something new every day and if you can learn it from a genuine rock and roller--even better! :hilarious:

He may have been more successful in the United States, but the Sweet were huge in Britain for several years.

eaglesvet
02-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Gotta love it when the stars visit the message boards of their fan! Although I suppose that might make the fans a bit less vocal about certain things! lol
Those thoughts ran through my head in the height of The Long Story as well as Cami's birthday story (where I think Cindy was either divorced away or deceased away, I can't remember now. However, given that she and her kids watched You-Tube videos, I was thinking what a few other clicks would show her about some fans' assessment of her marriage...) Never mind all of the shenanigans happenin' in The Long Story :censored::fingerwag::wink: !

eaglesvet
02-05-2009, 02:50 AM

I remember Eric Carmen, and I do think I recall more songs than just that one...though for the life of me I can't name one right now. I seem to think he was relatively popular in the mid- to late 70's? The Raspberries song I have definitely heard as well. I think that is cool that you and Eric cyber-conversed!

TimothyBFan
02-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Come and Get Your Love by Redbone all day today!! It's a great song
but sometimes having these songs going thru your head can be more irritating than the voices you sometimes hear.:brickwall: :hilarious: I remember when I first saw it on Midnight Special, I thought the bass player was a cutie (yes there is a pattern with me and long haired bass players ;-)). What's scary is I can remember his name, Pat Vegas. If I remember right, him and his brother had changed their names because they were hispanic/indian and didn't think they would go anywhere using their real names. Scary that I remember this stuff.

Edited to add: I just thought about this--not only long haired bass players but the whole hispanic/indian thing. Strange!

And look what I found--that particular Midnight Special--he's the one all in black.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLi39E9PbA

Brooke
02-05-2009, 05:08 PM
Oh my, TBF! I remember watching Redbone on Midnight Special too! You are bringing up all these memories for me! :laugh:

TimothyBFan
02-06-2009, 08:39 AM
Brooke--It's like flashback or "this is your life" isn't it? :lol: This is the way it goes with me. I really don't think a day goes by for hubby and I that we don't talk about some old song we happen to remember or have to look up again, etc... then it gets stuck in my mind and it's there till the next one! Not a bad thing really, kinda fun!

ticky
02-10-2009, 12:51 PM
I woke up this morning singing Afternoon Delight. I've been learning it on my guitar and I think it's permanently stuck in my head!

TimothyBFan
02-10-2009, 01:06 PM
I woke up this morning singing Afternoon Delight. I've been learning it on my guitar and I think it's permanently stuck in my head!

The way this post started--I thought maybe Cliffy was gonna get lucky this afternoon! :hug: Go Ticky!!!

Brooke
02-10-2009, 05:09 PM
:lol:

I'm sorry, but I absolutely hate that song. I sure hope it never gets stuck in my head! :shrug:

TimothyBFan
02-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Let's see if anyone remembers this one. We were listening to vinyl last night and pulled out Through The Past, Darkly by the Stones and now I have She's A Rainbow going through my head all morning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O60kvW1dyCw

Stars
02-17-2009, 10:11 AM
TBF, I remember "She's A Rainbow"!:) I haven't heard it for years, but doesn't it start out, "She comes in colors everywhere"? I used to love it!
The song that is going through my head today is Jackson Browne's "Late for the Sky". I remember buying the album when it first came out, and playing it so much I nearly wore it out! I still have the vinyl, but now listen to the CD.:thumbsup:

Brooke
02-17-2009, 11:17 AM
I love "Late For The Sky". It makes me cry though, as many of JB's songs do. That guy, how does he write this stuff? He amazes me. I have that vinyl and cd, too. Great songs there.

Prettymaid
02-17-2009, 01:09 PM
Late For The Sky is a beautiful song with beautiful guitar work.

Stars
02-20-2009, 11:11 AM
"Love Will Keep Us Alive" is the song going through my head this morning. It's one of my favorites from HFO-such a lovely song. I haven't even heard it for a while, but I hear it in my head, and that's almost as good as actually listening to it!:)

TimothyBFan
02-20-2009, 02:53 PM
I killed a spider walking across the kitchen counter (YUCK!!!) a little bit ago and I thought about the song I Don't Like Spider And Snakes by Jim Stafford and of course since then, it's going thru my head!!! Oh Brother!!!