PDA

View Full Version : I'm goin' back in time and it's a sweet dream...

Stars
01-07-2009, 04:03 PM
I'm not sure if this topic has been discussed before, so please excuse the repetition if it has, but if you could go back in time and attend any Eagles concert, which one would it be and why?
I think, if I could go back, I would return to either 1973 or 1974, and attend one of their concerts from that time period. I would pick that time because that is when I was hearing lots of Eagles songs on the radio, and really starting to love their music. Of course, I would also attend so as to see Glenn with his long, flowing locks, and Don with his afro! I also really liked Bernie's banjo playing, and the harmonies and lead voice that Randy added to the band back then. I may even pick California Jam 1974, so I would have the bonus of seeing another of my favorites, Jackson Browne!:thumbsup:

Brooke
01-07-2009, 05:28 PM
Oh my, do I want to answer this?

Aw heck, why not?!

I went to a concert in 76 or 77 and was way up in the rafters. I would love to go back to that concert again and be down front. And maybe, just maybe, I'd nab one of those famous buttons! :wink:

And actualy, maybe I could remember more about the whole concert!

sodascouts
01-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Wow, this is a hard question, with many intriguing possibilities!

I'd want to go to that infamous last Long Run concert - the Alan Cranston benefit in July 1980. Not really for the drama, which was largely invisible to the audience anyway, but because they did a lot of special songs for that benefit that they haven't done before or since. Additionally, there are no video bootlegs of Long Run shows that I'm aware of (although they may be out there somewhere, not in fan circulation). I'd love to SEE them doing these songs rather than just hearing them on my audio bootlegs.

And while this is cheating, my runner-ups:

2) The first full Eagles concert in 1972 (although they were probably an opening act, so "full Eagles concert" is loosely defined). New and fresh and probably a little scared, but hungry for a name and passionately working to get it.

3) An early Hell Freezes Over show, when they were still doing all the new songs. I missed out on that tour and from bootlegs like Buffalo 1994, I can see it was ten times as awesome as the DVD.

ticky
01-07-2009, 05:56 PM
This one was easy for me... HFO.. I would have loved to have seen that one. And then maybe HC *G* but Im sure most of you could have guessed these answers from me *G*

Freypower
01-07-2009, 06:07 PM
Which songs at the Cranston show had not been done before or since? There were tracks from The Long Run which I assumed had been played on the tour for that album. It's true that they have not been played since (King Of Hollywood, The Sad Cafe). They did Keep On Tryin' which I also thought they had been playing previously. I thought Sea Cruise was regularly played (along with Carol, which apparently didn't feature at Long Beach) because I've seen photos of it being performed where Glenn has a sax around his neck. The only song from that setlist I don't know about is After The Thrill Is Gone. Surely that was performed during the One Of These Nights tour. No, it has not been played since. Saturday Night has not been played since. I cannot see anything there which I could say for certain had never been played before.

I saw the HFO tour in Sydney, which I remain grateful for. I don't feel any need to go back to a previous lineup. All I would like is for Don to play drums on new songs and for a couple of Glenn's songs to be reinstated.

Glennsallnighter
01-07-2009, 06:12 PM
I'd love most to have attended one of the HFO reunion concerts, perhaps the one in Christchurch, had it not rained so badly! I'd also love to have been at Glenn :heart:'s solo gig in Dublin.

Hell I'd love to have gone to all their gigs!!

Freypower
01-07-2009, 06:14 PM
I thought it went without saying that I wish I had seen Glenn solo, so I didn't.

Glennsallnighter
01-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Oh I guess it does go without saying FP!!

sodascouts
01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Which songs at the Cranston show had not been done before or since? There were tracks from The Long Run which I assumed had been played on the tour for that album. It's true that they have not been played since (King Of Hollywood, The Sad Cafe).

That assumption is incorrect. Other than a few shows leading up to the Cranston benefit, those two songs have never been a part of a regular Eagles touring setlist.

The only song from that setlist I don't know about is After The Thrill Is Gone. Surely that was performed during the One Of These Nights tour. No, it was not.

I don't feel any need to go back to a previous lineup. All I would like is for Don to play drums on new songs and for a couple of Glenn's songs to be reinstated.So you wouldn't like to see ANY other shows in addition to recent ones? Seriously? It's not about "going back to a previous lineup" it's about experiencing something special and different. C'mon, use a little imagination.

Freypower
01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Fair enough, Soda, I assume that what you say is correct. Apologies. I admit to surprise that they had not played those songs. I take it that you have seen setlists for the entire Long Run tour and those songs were never played?

Regarding 'using my imagination', I do nothing else, but it tends not to be about past Eagles tours. If I say that I would like to see the LROOE tour, I am stating the truth. I am one of the few people on this board who has not seen it. Going back to the 70s and trying to imagine seeing a show from that era is not something that I really think about. I guess if I really had to come up with something I would have liked to have seen a show from the HC or LR tours.

sodascouts
01-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Fair enough, Soda, I assume that what you say is correct. Apologies. I admit to surprise that they had not played those songs. I take it that you have seen setlists for the entire Long Run tour and those songs were never played?

I have seen several setlists from different legs of the tour. It is conceivable that they played the songs spontaneously at some shows and those shows were never recorded (thus leaving no evidence that they were ever played), but I find it doubtful. The Eagles are not known for their spontaneity.

MikeA
01-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I believe it was Brooke who said she wished she could remember more from a HC concert she attended. I'm right there with you on that, Brook!

I attended the late 1976 HC concert in Wichita. Commerative concert for me since that was the first tour Joe made with the Eagles. And he was playing a town in which he was born AND one in which he still has a lot of family ties.

And I do not remember many of the details of that concert and I sure would like to (no elaboration!). There was a lot going on then for me. That concert was during the first couple of months that my wife and I met and were beginning to start our lives together! She didn't get to go to that concert with me and I'd love to roll back the clock and INSIST that she come!

TimothyBFan
01-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I think for me it would have to be HFO because that was the big "reunion" and it was like discovering them all over again. I'm like GA, if I had to pick a specific show it would be Christchurch (even with the rain). I just LOVE that show.

This topic makes me kinda sad tho because I immediately thought about the fact that I had tickets for HC and Farewell and never got to use them. :-(

Brooke
01-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I believe it was Brooke who said she wished she could remember more from a HC concert she attended. I'm right there with you on that, Brook!

I attended the late 1976 HC concert in Wichita.

And I do not remember many of the details of that concert and I sure would like to (no elaboration!).

Mike, do you have a list of the cities and dates of that tour? My St. Louis concert must have been during the same timeframe as your Wichita one. I thought you might have a t-shirt or something that listed those.

It really irks me that I have nothing to show for going to that. :brickwall: I keep thinking I will go visit the attic and get out a box of stuff that might accidently have something.

Oh, except for my famous button! Ha! :nahnah:

Scarlet Sun
01-14-2009, 02:40 PM
I think a concert in-between Eagles and Desperado would be most interesting for me

eaglesvet
01-14-2009, 03:32 PM
I had a feeling this topic might stir some feelings of regret in some Borderers hearts and minds...it's unfortunate we can't turn back the hands of time... Wouldn't that be great if we could, though?!:nod: (for more reasons than just Eagles concerts...)

I finally decided this week which 2 concerts I would have liked to have attended. No regrets here, since I wasn't even aware of either of them at the time! First, I agree with Stars--I would've loved to have seen them early on, when they were less polished and probably more likely to take some risks in their shows...and I think California Jam 1974 would've been my choice as well, because to see Jackson Browne at that time as well would've been heaven! However, the likelihood of me getting to the left coast at age 13 was nil; and like I said, I was concert-naive at that age.

But, my top choice would've been the New Year's Eve 1999 concert, again in California. That would've been a party I would've loved to have celebrated the new milleniuim at! They did all those songs that they had never done live before (or, as Glenn said, hadn't remembered doing live before. :laugh:) Too bad I wasn't Eagles-current at that time in my life (two kids 3yrs old and under...we're talking Raffi and Elmo for musical performers, unfortunately.)
I've learned that there are 2 types of people in this world--those that hate New Year's Eve and don't want to do anything for it, and those that like it and have to do something for it or else they feel depressed. I fall into the second category. Fortunately, so does my husband (although he doesn't get nearly as bummed if there's nothing going on); unfortunately, many of my friends fall into the first. Well, I had been looking forward to NYE 1999 ever since 1982, when Prince released his song "1999." I wanted to :partytime: party like it was 1999! Well, when I was 21 and listening to Prince, I had no idea that 17 years later on a frigid Dec. 31, I would be forced to stay home because of a 9-month old baby with the croup! Never mind the illness---were in the midst of a home renovation, so the house was a shambles. Couldn't have anyone over, either. We had converted the attic to a family room (we actually call it the "sky room" because our house is tall rather than wide.) At that point, there were no stairs to it yet; and no TV hook-up anywhere. So, while I spent the evening getting the healthy 3-yr- old and the croupy 9-month-old taken care of and to bed, my hubby tried to use a homemade dumb-waiter and pulley system to get our old and heavy TV up to the sky room (remember, no stairs...just a rickety ladder for us to climb up on.) He finally got it up there, after much complaining and bickering on both our parts, and we watched Dick Clark's Rockin' NYE to welcome the new millenium. Wow. I just remembered I said I had no regrets when I started this post. I guess I was wrong. I really really wish I had gone to see the Eagles then. If only I had known...