PDA

View Full Version : If you could change two things about the LROOE Tour

Stars
01-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I know all of us who went to see the Eagles during the first part of this tour enjoyed every moment of the concerts, and some of you probably wouldn't change a thing about the shows.:) However, now that they are embarking on the second leg of the tour, I started thinking about what two things I would change, if I had the power to do so!;)
The first thing I would do, is add some Glenn solo songs! When I went to the show in Washington, I went in not knowing the set list. When I left, I remember being disappointed that Glenn didn't perform any of his solo material. If I could, I would add "Part of Me, Part of You", "Lover's Moon", and "You Belong to the City".:thumbsup:
The second thing I would change is their clothing! I would get them out of the business suits, and into more informal attire, such as what they wore in HFO, F1, or Christchurch. I know some fans enjoy the suits, but I could never warm up to them. I particularly like to see Glenn in his black T shirt, and Don in his denim or flannel shirt.
Anyway, that's what I would change, if I could! What would you all change?:hmm:

eaglesvet
01-14-2009, 10:43 AM
You're a good one for thinking of new topics, Stars. I agree with both of yours wholeheartedly, but then I'll build on that. Since we're dreaming, I'm REALLY going to have them change. I'm going to have them mix up their concerts a bit each show, so that they are actually performing, say, the "basic" 20 standards and LROOE numbers that they know their fans (and they) want to hear; but then they will throw in a different 5 -8 songs that will vary with each performance. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates-- when a fan goes to a particular show, "you never know what's you're going to get!" If they would just realize that fans are not looking for them to reproduce note for note the perfectionist's album version of each song, they would gain tons of fans' accolades for playing songs those fans may not have ever heard live before. (Certainly, the Eagles could choose from a wider range of maybe 25 songs to interchange over a bunch of shows--so that they still would be familiar enough with them to play them. It's not like they would be playing a song they hadn't done in 30 years...)

Next, I would add some more storytelling between songs, rather than the jokes. In Worcester, I heard the longer version of the story behind Lyin' Eyes, and I thought it was a nice touch. I would love to hear about more of what was going on in their lives and in their minds when more of their songs were written, especially the lesser known ones.

Not asking too much, am I?

Brooke
01-14-2009, 11:18 AM
I like all the ideas so far! :thumbsup:

I too, would love for Glenn to do a couple of his solo songs. POMPOY would be my first choice.

I'd also like for them to add a couple of old songs to each concert like ev said and mix it up at each show. First choice would be Good Day In Hell.

sodascouts
01-14-2009, 12:48 PM
Good suggestions so far!

One thing Lindsey Buckingham did to "shake things up" a bit on his Under the Skin tour was change the encore. There was one "mystery song" at the end. He didn't play a different "mystery song" every night - he basically rotated about four - but you never knew which of the four it would be. (I heard later that they were songs Lindsey had thought about putting in the setlist and rehearsed, but decided against, so he worked them in this way). The Eagles could do that.

I'd add My Girl to the set officially. I was so disappointed when Glenn didn't sing even one line of it audibly (back from the mic doesn't count) at ANY of the three shows I went to!

EasyFeeling
01-14-2009, 01:55 PM
I can't say anything so far because I go in July and will see the new show. The only thing I can say is I don't like the suits either... would rather see them in jeans and shirt or so. Every time I see them in their black suits I think they are on the way to a funeral. :headscratch: ;-)

TimothyBFan
01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
#1.) Put them in casual wear (example--Christchurch, Farewell, HFO):thumbsup:

#2.) Put them in casual wear (example-Timothy's tight jeans and black form fitting shirt like in Farewell):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

eaglesvet
01-14-2009, 02:27 PM
#1.) Put them in casual wear (example--Christchurch, Farewell, HFO):thumbsup:

#2.) Put them in casual wear (example-Timothy's tight jeans and black form fitting shirt like in Farewell):thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
Willie, I take it the suits aren't working for ya, huh? They would look even hotter and younger in good ole' rock and roll jeans and T's, or whatever type of shirts...just not button-downs! And I'm sure they would be more comfortable, too!

Freypower
01-14-2009, 05:54 PM
I like the suits. If that is what they wish to wear, I won't complain.

I would change the following:

Glenn should add solo songs
Don should play drums on a couple of the new songs. As long as he doesn't the suspicion will remain that he doesn't play drums on the new album at all, even though he is credited.

EagleLady
01-14-2009, 05:59 PM
I disagree. I think the suits make them look like corporate mongers.

Glennsallnighter
01-14-2009, 06:07 PM
I'm not too worried about the suits. They are not a big issue for me although the pink shirt is my favourite look on Glenn :heart:. What I WOULD like to see would be
1. Glenn :heart: do one or more solo songs such as POMPOY as already suggested or 'Smugglers Blues'

2. Glenn :heart: do a meet and greet before the show!! (I know I might as well dream here as in bed! lol)

Troubadour
01-14-2009, 06:26 PM
I support both of your proposals wholeheartedly, Willie.

I'd also like to see the reintroduction of Wasted Time. I know there are so many songs they have to get through, but Wasted Time was pretty much the first Eagles song I fell in love with (thanks to Don's beautiful vocals on HFO.) I would love to hear it live.

I'd love them to do Frail Grasp, too. It's funky and there are quite a few lyrics that I think would be fun to watch Don perform!

Prettymaid
01-14-2009, 06:46 PM
1. Lose the suits!
2. Joe would sing LGTIT instead of Guilty of the Crime.

Peekaboo
01-14-2009, 08:36 PM
I'm one that actually like the suits, but i also like them in their regular clothes too. How about this? The first of my two things to change would be to have the guys wear the suits in the first half and then break out their regular (and i'm sure more comfortable) clothes in the second half of the show. This way it satisfies fans that like the suits and those that don't.

My second change would be to add more between song chatter. Even though we hear pretty much the same stories and jokes, I still very much enjoy them but would like to hear more. I like to hear their speaking voices just as much as their singing voices.

EasyFeeling
01-15-2009, 04:15 AM
I'm one that actually like the suits, but i also like them in their regular clothes too. How about this? The first of my two things to change would be to have the guys wear the suits in the first half and then break out their regular (and i'm sure more comfortable) clothes in the second half of the show. This way it satisfies fans that like the suits and those that don't.

Sounds good. :)
And I agree with Prettymaid, Joe should sing LGTIT.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
After reading all of these great posts I figured I'd throw my two cents in. The first show I saw in July had two encores. The next two only had one (although I think they were going to do two in Atlantic City but cut it short because of some bad crowd behavior). Put the second encore in all the concerts. "All She Want s To Do Is Dance" is a crowd pleaser. It really gets people up and moving. At the Don Henley solo show I went to, Mr. Henley himself was amazed at the crowd's enthusiasm.

It would be nice if Don Henley spoke more. During his solo show he comes across as quite the storyteller. He interacts well with Glenn Frey, they should play off one another more than they do...the audience would eat it up!

I agree, some Frey solo works should be added. The suits are ok but...they should lose them when they come back from the intermission. Other than that...

ochiba kid 1
03-10-2009, 09:06 AM
At the London O2 shows last March / April they dropped the last encore, so we lost out on ROCKY MOUNTAIN WAY DOH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love that track live, shame !

Cheers Gary:brickwall:

MikeA
03-10-2009, 11:08 AM
One thing I'd REALLY like to see is for them to bring the ticket prices back to something approaching "reasonable"! Even with non inflated prices by the gougers, $178 a ticket is too much.

TimothysGirl
03-10-2009, 10:23 PM
My two things would be that they all get to dress how they individually want to and I like the idea of switching up the set a bit--makes it interesting:hilarious:. That way more of the oldies would get sung and it would keep it fresh so no one got bored.

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2009, 12:08 PM
That last would be great for anyone attending more than one gig in the same venue or city. Maybe keep the same 'Anchor' songs, but vary some of the others. That way we get to hear pretty much all of them!

Ive always been a dreamer
03-11-2009, 12:26 PM
Wow - I like everyone's ideas here and would like to see all of them implemented. However, I was trying to decide if I could realistically pick my top two things that I would change. Since sitting in on the sound check, having dinner with the band before the show, and hanging out backstage before the show probably aren't going to be happening for me, I guess I'll go with ...

1. Bring back at least one of Glenn's solo songs
2. Bring back a second encore

I didn't even mention the suits since that has already been thoroughly covered. Also, I most definitely would love to see them throw in a 'surprise' each night.

Brooke
03-11-2009, 01:50 PM
I would definitely go for the cheaper tickets and a surprise (old) song.

LWKUA
03-11-2009, 10:45 PM
1. Following ev's suggestion -- I too would love to hear more storytelling between songs. This way we can hear the story behind them, and also be able to experience and enjoy each of the guys' personalities.

2. For Timothy to sing lead on at least 1 more song!!! (Do Something and Keep on Tryin' would be great choices imo.)

TimothysGirl
03-12-2009, 05:33 PM
Everyone has had some great ideas, wish they could be implemented but it's still nice to play "if only we could" sometimes :smile:! LWKUA I like your idea of Timothy singing another solo and those two songs are great choices :thumbsup:.

Glennhoney
03-12-2009, 06:26 PM
..definately include "Already Gone" to their show...really missed that song...
...and yeah, a Glenn "solo" song would be great......
I did get a second encore at their Boston concert this summer..they really should bring it back..

Koala
03-13-2009, 03:21 AM
..definately include "Already Gone" to their show...really missed that song...
I agree with you! I love this Song!

...and yeah, a Glenn "solo" song would be great......
Thats right

I did get a second encore at their Boston concert this summer..they really should bring it back..
A second encore would be in my interest, too.

melrose
03-13-2009, 09:31 AM
I would have to say that the thing I wanted the most for my concert experience was to hear a bit more of Timothy's songs and possibly a Glenn solo song. Maybe I just didn't feel like the material was evenly distributed.

I also like ev's suggestion. I think maybe a little more history would be fun. Just a little insight. About anything, really. We are all dying to know!

I know it is only asking for two things...but I'm thinking a third encore would be in my interest :nod:

sodascouts
03-13-2009, 12:12 PM
LOL Melrose!

So it is a sure thing they're not doing second encores anymore?

TimothysGirl
03-13-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm wondering if maybe the second encore was a bit much as this leg went on and maybe after their next break they'll bring it back(I hope!) as they 'll be rested and fresh!:headscratch:

Ive always been a dreamer
03-13-2009, 11:49 PM
I know it is only asking for two things...but I'm thinking a third encore would be in my interest :nod:

Ditto, melrose!!! :lol:

I hope they'll bring back a second encore too, but I'm definitely not counting on it.

TimothysGirl
03-14-2009, 11:37 PM
Well if you are going to make a wish you might as well make it a darn good one :hilarious:!!

melrose
03-15-2009, 01:04 AM
;) A girl can dream, can't she?

I think the second encores are a result of a couple of things. 1) The response of the audience and 2) the mood of the guys. Those three hour shows have got to take a ton of energy; I can't imagine getting up there on stage and flawlessly performing their material. I would have been beside myself with excitement if they had given a second encore at the concert I attended. I hope they bring them back, too. It is such a treat.

Stars
03-16-2009, 02:47 PM
I was just thinking today that I would love to see them do "The Last Resort". I loved that one so much on HFO, and that is definitely a song I NEVER get tired of listening to! I just adore it.:heart:

Glennsallnighter
03-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Of all the Eagles songs that Don takes the vocals exclusively on I would say that TLR is my favourite. My husband was listening to it the other day as HFO was forced on him in the car and he actually loved it as well......and replayed it! I know some people think its a bit of an epic but I find you don't notice that its a long song as it holds your attention.

Koala
03-17-2009, 02:45 AM
The Last Resort is one mine all time favorites songs,
I loved it since the first time I heard it.
To hear this song of the concert would be very cool!

TimothysGirl
03-20-2009, 10:21 PM
I'd like to hear "Seven Bridges Road" in concert, I love that song :inlove: . "In a New York Minute", Smugglers Blues and "You Belong to the City" would be great to see in concert too :nod:. Maybe someday they'll bring them back in the line up:pray:.

MikeA
03-21-2009, 09:02 AM
I'd like to hear "Seven Bridges Road" in concert, I love that song :inlove: . "In a New York Minute", Smugglers Blues and "You Belong to the City" would be great to see in concert too :nod:. Maybe someday they'll bring them back in the line up:pray:.

SBR is a CLASSIC Eagles concert tune. It really shows off their vocal talent...possibly more than any other song they've done. I would love to hear them do that one again.

But even back in the Farewell tours, it was always a question as to whether they would do it. It all depended on whether their vocals were in top form...if they were off even a little in their backstage warmup, they wouldn't do it.

Prettymaid
03-21-2009, 09:13 AM
They probably think that No More Walks in the Wood is an acceptable replacement for SBR. I would disagree. As Mike said, SBR is a classic. I like SBR much more that NMWITW. The latter is not nearly as melodic, and that's important to me in a song.

TimothysGirl
03-21-2009, 11:03 PM
Does anyone know where there is a video of them doing "Seven Bridges Road" (with Timothy singing) it didn't get on the Farewell Tour DVD and I'd like to see it if it's out there:grooving:!

Fan_For_Life
03-24-2009, 12:25 PM
The only thing I would change is remove whatever it is that blocks viewers from seeing the backdrop from a side angle.

Mrs Frey
03-25-2009, 07:21 AM
I've just read quickly read through everyone's comments in this thread (interesting thread, Stars!:thumbsup:).

I don't agree or disagree with anyone here. I think we all have Eagles songs that are special to us, or we would like to hear our favourite Eagle doing more songs or solo songs, whatever the case may be.

For me, that night of 20 March last year in London was so special, I wouldn't change a thing about it. I only wish that the boys didn't have their opening night nerves, because as I read reviews of shows posted by ladies on The Border who attended later shows, the boys seemed to loosen up afterwards and offer many more jokes and anecdotes. However, having said that, I understand stage nerves, as I've experienced it many times myself, and even seasoned professionals like the Eagles are not immune to them. The crowd that night was somewhat reticent, which didn't encourage the boys to come out of their shells.

Regarding song choices, I must say I missed hearing "Tequila Sunrise", "Already Gone" and "New Kid In Town", and I would have loved hearing "Wasted Time" too. However, they included 9 LROOE songs, which I really appreciated, and if they included every song we wanted them to sing, they'd be on stage for 5 hours instead of 3! :lol:

I think a solo song from Glenn :heart: is fair enough, especially since both Don and Joe have solo songs included. I don't have a major problem with it, though. Glenn :heart: is known to somewhat underrate himself, but he does take centre stage most of the time, introducing the songs and so forth.

I really can't complain.:)

TimothysGirl
03-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I wouldn't mind a 5 hr concert, I'd even have an hour break for them:hilarious:. As nice as that would be it would be too hard on them now, maybe when they first started out but not now :-(.
Yes they do react to the feedback of the crowd and it's too bad you didn't get a chance to experience that ,Mrs Frey, as they really rock when they have a lively crowd :headbang:!!

DonFan
03-25-2009, 05:50 PM
I finally got to read this thread. Great responses, everyone.

My personal requests (sorry, I've got more than two!):

More talking, banter, and storytelling between songs. As mentioned earlier, Don does talk a lot between songs on his solo tour, and I LOVE that. It really personalizes the concert experience.

Bring back Wasted Time. The first time I heard that live I just adored it, when Don stood center-stage in that spotlight and sang his heart out. *sigh*

Let Glenn sing Smuggler's Blues. That is one of my favorites and he does it so well!

And as everyone else has said--bring back the second encore!

luvthelighthouse
03-28-2009, 10:02 PM
Only two things, eh? While I'm not a fan of the suits, I guess I could live with them for the following changes:

1) Tequila Sunrise, with the whole, "i think I"ll go down to Mexico" bit...

2) Mix up the set list. I like the element of surprise. Even if it's just rotating in/out a few different songs... or even just putting them in a different order. I would think THEY have to be bored of the same of thing night after night.

MikeA
03-29-2009, 08:17 AM
When we went on a binge a few years ago and attended something 16 concerts over a couple of years in time, they kept the sets pretty much identical. The "big speculation" was whether or not they opened by singing "Seven Bridges Road". They did in about a third of the concerts overall, but that was the only change! Even the same "Credit Card Song" joke inserted at almost the same note in the introduction of "Take It To The Limit". When I got home, I looked for a TAB of TITTL and was surprised NOT to find that joke as part of the lyrics! Seriously, the "joke" became the joke amongst fans we kept repeatedly running into at different stops on the tour. It sort of became the "icon". Just something we the fans fondly joked about. Nothing belligerent.

The Eagles have sunk a lot into the video going on behind them. I think it would be pretty much of a nightmare synchronizing those videos to an ever changing set list. And, having that "fixed set" does help satisfy the yearning of Glenn and Don (especially Don) of working everything out to "studio perfection" levels of performance.

luvthelighthouse
03-29-2009, 11:47 AM
Mike, for me personally, I could do without all the video behind them. I'm there to see THEM, not their videos, KWIM?

MikeA
03-29-2009, 01:57 PM
Mike, for me personally, I could do without all the video behind them. I'm there to see THEM, not their videos, KWIM?

I do know Exactly what you Mean!

But since "they" DO keep such an unrelenting sameness with their performances...changing pretty much only from one tour to the next...they can very effectively employ those visuals and key them exactly to the song and mood they are trying to convey.

It's not a "bad" thing but unless a band adhered to such a regimented performance, they could not be as concise with the videos as are the Eagles.

It's a "good/bad" thing. It's amazing that they CAN do it (meaning their exact studio performances) and that's the good thing. From my perspective, it's a not so good thing because there are no "surprises". To each his own though. I'm just not used to Rock N Roll performances coming across so closely as they do to a replay of a DVD.

eaglesvet
03-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I never thought of the video as being one of the reasons the Eagles don't change their setlist. I would kill the video in a heartbeat if it meant the band could just be more spontaneous in their song choices! However, I know that's only one of many reasons, unfortunately for the fans.

Brooke
03-29-2009, 07:58 PM
I never thought of the video as being one of the reasons the Eagles don't change their setlist. I would kill the video in a heartbeat if it meant the band could just be more spontaneous in their song choices! However, I know that's only one of many reasons, unfortunately for the fans.

I never thought of that either. And I would kill the video, too. But It'll never happen. Glenn and Don are perfectionists and want it that way. I guess you could say 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks'. They like that slick, oiled machine. It's easy that way. Same thing, same way, night after night. They could do it in their sleep. And it's good. And people keep spending the big bucks. Don't fix it if it ain't broken. I could go on.........lol

MikeA
03-29-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't think I made myself clear. Not surprising. I don't think they perform the way they do in order to keep the video. The do the video the way they do because they can due to the way they choose to perform.

Did that make sense? If they didn't have the repetitious performances, they would probably be going nuts (or someone would be) trying to keep a video sequence synchronized with the performances.

I don't know. That's all just speculation.