PDA

View Full Version : Charlotte, NC 1-14-09

DonFan
01-15-2009, 12:33 PM
When not singing new tunes, Eagles soar in Charlotte

By Scott Fowler sfowler@charlotteobserver.com
Posted: Thursday, Jan. 15, 2009

http://media2.charlotteobserver.com/static/images/art/stars35.gif
The Eagles walked onto the stage at Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte Wednesday night wearing black suits, white shirts and black ties. They looked like they had either gotten dressed in the Blues Brothers' closet – minus only the hats and sunglasses – or else had borrowed four suits from a local undertaker.
“This is the Eagles' assisted-living tour,” said Glenn Frey, who like each of his three primary bandmates is now at least 60 years old. “And we're those darn Eagles, the band that wouldn't die.”
What followed was nearly three hours of music that made all Eagles fans remember why they don't want this band to die. In front of a near-capacity crowd packed with baby boomers but sprinkled with a surprising number of folks in the 18-29 age group, the Eagles harmonized their way through a hit-filled show of classic rock.
Fans who wanted that peaceful, easy feeling came to the right place. Don Henley still sounded soulful and looked intense – his lead vocals on “Hotel California,” “The Boys of Summer” and “The Long Run” were among the evening's highlights. Joe Walsh still mugged for the camera and played the guitar like nobody's business. Timothy B. Schmit still hit the high notes on “I Can't Tell You Why.”
And Frey sang, played guitar and served as the show's emcee and comic relief. Before the song “Lyin' Eyes,” he said: “I'm going to dedicate this song to my first wife: Plaintiff.”
The first album I ever bought was “Eagles: Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975.” I was 12. I paid $7.50 for the record at a Kmart in Spartanburg. Don't ask me why I remember the price. But the music was unforgettable, then and now.
Since then the Eagles have broken up, pursued solo careers, reunited and now play wherever and whatever they please.
And they played too much of “Long Road out of Eden” Wednesday. That was the studio album the Eagles released in 2007. I'm sure they are very proud of it, but it is not on par with the band's glory decade of the 1970s.
The show started tepidly with four songs from that 2007 album. Then, in the second set following a 20-minute intermission, here came a total of five more “Eden” offerings (including the CD's best song, Henley's haunting “Waiting in the Weeds.”)
In other words, there were plenty of opportunities for fans to partake of one of the arena's large draft beers, if they wanted to shell out the $8.50 – yes, $8.50, isn't that ridiculous?! – that those beers cost.
There was so much of the “new” CD that the band never got to “Tequila Sunrise,” “Already Gone,” “Wasted Time” or a number of other fan favorites.
But when you've got as many hits as the Eagles do, you can't play everything. And the fans didn't seem to mind.
When a lone trumpet sounded out the first notes of the iconic rock anthem “Hotel California” early in the first set, the crowd was fully engaged and stayed that way. Frey kept the patter going between numbers, referring to “Take it to the Limit” as “the credit-card song.”
While the Eagles' staging was stark and relatively funereal – all the backup band members wore black and white, too – the 28-song show was enhanced by a number of multi-media clips and photos. Dreamlike sequences projected during “The Boys of Summer” were particularly effective.
Walsh donned a “helmet cam” for “Life's Been Good,” which allowed fans to watch themselves watching Walsh. It was the night's one real bit of gimmickry, but Walsh pulled it off – his goofiness a fine counterbalance to Henley's intensity.
Eventually, the Eagles took off their jackets, loosened their black ties and rocked out to “Life in the Fast Lane.” Their two-song encore – Frey's “Take It Easy” and Henley's “Desperado” – sent fans out into the night on a wave of nostalgia.
“That felt just like high school,” one baby-boomer fan said to another as the crowd headed for the exits.
And if you're of a certain age and the Eagles served as the soundtrack for a significant part of your life, you knew exactly what he meant.

TimothyBFan
01-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Nice review except for "And they played too much of “Long Road out of Eden” Wednesday. That was the studio album the Eagles released in 2007." But then again, I guess my dreamlist didn't include much either. But since this is the LROOE tour, they are suppose to play a lot of it.

From the looks of the 2 reviews for the 2 concerts so far, they are right back on track, sounding great and the fans are enjoying them! :thumbsup:

cmooreNC
01-15-2009, 04:48 PM
We didn't get "encore #1" last night, which I missed. But I doubt too many other folks did, as I left the building at 11:30 (during Desperado) to beat the traffic. I know, I know..... pure sacrilege. What can I say? It was a weeknight and my bed was calling me home.

11th row floor last night (scored a pair on Ebay the day before the show at half of face) and as usual it was a great show.

I loved Glenn's comment after "Love Will Keep Us Alive". He thanked Timothy and then said something along the lines of "Love will keep us awake....". Too funny!

TimothyBFan
01-15-2009, 04:50 PM
Good job on the price of those tickets! Wow! And congratulations for being able to hold out till the day before to get them! Some of us here aren't that patient :brickwall:

Freypower
01-15-2009, 05:53 PM
That was a good review, although the reference to Glenn as 'comic relief' is extremely unfair. Oh, he also 'sang and played guitar' as opposed to Don who looked 'intense' and sounded 'soulful'. I don't necessarily expect all reviewers to share my opinions of Glenn. However, they hardly ever try to analyse him in any way beyond superficiality. What he does is not something that anyone off the street can do. He can sing as well as Don and he co-wrote those songs. As with his solo career, he is still not taken seriously. I sometimes wish he would drop the jokes.

Peekaboo
01-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Good job on the price of those tickets! Wow! And congratulations for being able to hold out till the day before to get them! Some of us here aren't that patient :brickwall:

(Hand raised) Yeah, i'm one of those impatient ones. But i'm trying to wait it out this time for the Tampa concert. Let's see if I can do this. Only 2 weeks to go.

eaglesvet
01-15-2009, 11:26 PM
We didn't get "encore #1" last night, which I missed. But I doubt too many other folks did, as I left the building at 11:30 (during Desperado) to beat the traffic. I know, I know..... pure sacrilege. What can I say? It was a weeknight and my bed was calling me home.

11th row floor last night (scored a pair on Ebay the day before the show at half of face) and as usual it was a great show.

I loved Glenn's comment after "Love Will Keep Us Alive". He thanked Timothy and then said something along the lines of "Love will keep us awake....". Too funny!
Glenn, is that a promise :heart::heart: ?

Stars
01-16-2009, 01:00 AM
FP, I have to agree with you about the reference to Glenn as "comic relief". That certainly rubbed me the wrong way too. With Glenn's awesome voice and his songwriting ability, he certainly deserves better than that in a concert review. Maybe it would be best if he dropped the jokes, and perhaps just shared some stories about the songs. I remember at one of the concerts I attended, he told quite a long story about the writing of "Lyin' Eyes". It may have been the Washington concert. Dreamer, weren't you at the DC show? Does this ring a bell? Anyway, I would love to see a review that really gives Glenn his due.:nod:

Glennsallnighter
01-16-2009, 08:54 AM
Glenn, is that a promise :heart::heart: ?

Yeoow!! I wish it was!!

DonFan
01-16-2009, 11:32 AM
A fan named Eric's blog about the Charlotte show:

To answer those who asked (http://shouldersofgiantmidgets.blogspot.com/2009/01/neverwednesday-nights_14.html), yes, The Eagles gave a phenomenal show.

My Mom decided to take me to the show, and while I wish she hadn't spent so much on the tickets, I'll give the band credit for giving the audience their money's worth. The show was scheduled for 8:00 PM, which usually means 8:30 for most bands (or sometime after ten if the band is Guns'N'Roses), and The Eagles went onstage at about 8:07 PM or thereabouts and played until around 11:30 PM, with a fifteen or twenty minute break between sets. When one is talking about a band that's been around for thirty-something years, it's almost an un-statement to talk about musicianship--one takes it for granted that The Eagles are going to play well and deliver the harmonies they've been singing for three decades, especially on songs like "Witchy Woman" and "Lyin' Eyes" that they can probably play in their sleep; but, yes, the musicianship was superb and the harmonies beautiful.

More significantly, the band seemed to be having a good time on stage and the energy level was high. And while I'm sure a good chunk of the crowd was there to hear the classics, the band had a new album to promote, Long Road Out of Eden (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y179KO?ie=UTF8&tag=staontheshoof-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000Y179KO). I don't own a copy, and (frankly) I'm not sure the new songs really measure up to the band's best work of the 1970s, but the thing about a band promoting a new album is that they have more at stake than just flogging the old standards Yet Again; watching a band lifelessly going through a twenty-year-old tune to the cheers of an oblivious Greatest Hits crowd can be not only a little dull but extremely depressing. Not that every reunion tour is like that, mind you--I've seen Springsteen out on tour just for the sake of being out on tour, and he set fire to the stage--but it's an easy trap for a band, and if I wasn't completely blown away by The Eagles' new songs, I'm still glad they had them and were playing them and using them to bookend and breathe life into their back catalogue.

Although the presence of the back catalogue was also pretty interesting: the biggest surprise for me, personally, was that the band dipped into Don Henley's and Joe Walsh's solo catalogues (if there were any cuts from Glenn Frey's or Timothy Schmit's back pages, they weren't songs I recognized and I mistook them for new tracks from Eden or unfamiliar tracks from The Eagles' catalogue). The first foray into the solo catalogue was an accelerated version of Henley's "Boys Of Summer," which I frankly assumed they sped through as some kind of ego-thing, presumably Henley being a prima donna and the rest of the band going along to shut him up; but then the band began covering old solo Walsh tracks and really laying into them and doing them justice, and the second set featured a blistering, paint-peeling rendition of Henley's "Dirty Laundry" along with a handful of additional Walsh tracks--at which point it was pretty clear the faster take on "Summer" (which worked artistically, by the way; it was just a noticeable change) was a deliberate choice and the band members were enjoying playing each others' songs. Always a good thing.

After all, The Eagles fourteen-year "hiatus" wasn't a "hiatus" at the time--it was a break-up with everybody going solo and some public bitterness (tho' it never rose to the level, say, of The Beatles' disintegration, much less the insults, recrimination and lawsuits of Pink Floyd's divorce from Roger Waters). When the band reunited in '94 for Hell Freezes Over (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000000OU0?ie=UTF8&tag=staontheshoof-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000000OU0), the in-joke of the title was that Don Henley had once been asked in an interview when the band might reunite and that was his answer. If any bad blood lingers, you wouldn't have known it Wednesday night, and the band attacked their setlist with equal zeal whether they were playing somebody's solo number or something brand new or a song released in 1972 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002GYN?ie=UTF8&tag=staontheshoof-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000002GYN).

A confession I have to make, speaking of the solo catalogue, is that I think I've underestimated and undervalued Joe Walsh for a very long time. It might frankly be that familiarity bred some level of mild contempt, though "contempt" implies a strength of feeling that wasn't there--I haven't heard any Joe Walsh in years and hadn't had any reason to really think of him at all, but his music was in the background throughout much of my childhood and was just sort of there as something easily recognized but so ubiquitous it's just as easily forgotten. (Like air, you know? It's awesome stuff, but you don't tend to notice it most of the time.) Walsh's material really was a high point of the show for me, personally, not because I expected it or wanted it but because when it came I quickly wanted more. The best way to put it might be to say that the man really kicked ass.

It was a damn good show, anyway, and I had a good time. The band didn't just play well, they had a good time and were engaged and on, and I hope they really were having fun the other night and have a great tour for the rest of their schedule. And thanks, Mom, for taking me.

Interesting comments. I wonder how old he is? Anyway, sounds like he liked the show a lot.

And FP, you may get tired of the "comic relief" comments about Glenn, but I also get a little tired of the "Don as a prima donna" comments.

Stephanie
01-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Here are some pictures of the show:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/The%20Eagles/130-eagles_10standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/The%20Eagles/700-eagles_09standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

Stephanie
01-16-2009, 11:39 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/The%20Eagles/488-eagles_04standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/The%20Eagles/988-eagles_06standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

Stephanie
01-16-2009, 11:40 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/The%20Eagles/447-eagles_07standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/The%20Eagles/411-eagles_11standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

Stephanie
01-16-2009, 11:42 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/Glenn%20Frey/518-EAGLES_05standaloneprod_affilia.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/StevieNicksFan/Glenn%20Frey/438-eagles_02_standalone_prod_affil.jpg

flashone41
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Sad day in Charlotte, NC :-(

I'm sure it was a great show for the majority that had adequate sound. We (party of four) had the misfortune to have tickets in Upper Level (Section 210, Row S) and the sound was almost non-existent. We could carry on a conversation without raising our voice with two seats away from us or let’s say you could hear a whisper up there. We notified event staff (guest services) and we were told that all complaints received have been passed along to Eagles Production and they are working on it. We first complained around 8:30 pm (15 minutes into show) and nothing was any better by 10 pm so we left since apparently the problem could not be fixed. No refund offered or given ($90 dollar tickets).

It is a sad situation when you can’t go to a show and receive sound. Two people in our party had never seen the Eagles live and this may be there last tour for all we know. They were so disappointed as was I. I had seen the Eagle two times previously and they were exceptional. Hopefully other venues do not have the same problem.

Brooke
01-16-2009, 12:06 PM
Oh my f41, I'm so sorry the sound was so bad. Believe me, this is NOT the norm. I hope something is worked out for you.

And welcome to The Border! Take a look around. I'm sure you'll like us!

TimothyBFan
01-16-2009, 12:11 PM
Great pics -Where are they from Stephanie? Love the close ups -but sad only one of Timothy.

DF- nice review. Sounds like he enjoyed it and also got his eyes opened a little bit about Mr. Walsh. I wonder if he had wanted to go or if Mom dragged him along.

At the risk of ticking someone off... The whole "comic relief" thing, I agree, is over used but Glenn really does crack me up. I love the silly jokes, tho overused, and even tho I knew they were coming each time, still looked forward to them and enjoyed the crowds reaction from those who hadn't heard them yet. I think the last review that used those wasn't trying to make fun of him or belittle his talents in anyway. I know we all take some of the things that are said over and over again personal, but we all also know that they are going to happen (you can't satisfy everyone) and, shall I say, are use to them by now. Hey, we are all guilty, including myself. You all remember how I went off several times about the "cadaverous" comment and it still sticks in my crawl. :-x

Just MHO here folks!

sodascouts
01-16-2009, 01:24 PM
Flashone - how terrible! I'm sorry to hear it. If the sound is a venue problem, perhaps you should approach them about a refund rather than the Eagles corp. You deserve your money back if you couldn't hear a thing!

Stephanie - thanks for posting those. The one of Glenn and Don is especially adorable.

As for the comments from reviewers - since Glenn tries so hard to make people laugh with his corny jokes, I hardly think he'd object to it being noted that he provided comic relief. It's not as if the reviewer said that was ALL he did. As for Don being called a "prima donna" - the reviewer did take that back, so...

Let's lighten up while we still can, folks! ;)

EagleLady
01-16-2009, 01:45 PM
Offtopic here, but I love your avatar Nancy

sodascouts
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Thanks - I chose it because Glenn looks cold and that's what I am right now!

EagleLady
01-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Me and you both. But Glenn could always warm me up :heart:

flashone41
01-16-2009, 03:32 PM
To Sodascouts: we asked for a refund and the venue stated that was not possible as it was a problem with Eagles production. In another local blog site a person stated that the Eagles decided not to use the arena sound system. Very disappointing.

TimothyBFan
01-16-2009, 04:37 PM
As for the comments from reviewers - since Glenn tries so hard to make people laugh with his corny jokes, I hardly think he'd object to it being noted that he provided comic relief. It's not as if the reviewer said that was ALL he did. As for Don being called a "prima donna" - the reviewer did take that back, so...

Let's lighten up while we still can, folks! ;)

:applause: Well said and glad to know I'm not the only one that felt that way. What a relief! :)

F41--Sorry to hear you had a bad experience the other night. That truly saddens me to know that someone went there and couldn't enjoy themselves, especially for that kind of $$.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
First of all, thanks for posting those reviews, DF. I particularly enjoyed Eric's perspective as a fan.

And F41 - welcome to The Border. I agree that it is a shame that the sound was so poor in Charlotte. I was at the show and Hampton, and the sound was exceptional. It's too bad the venue was not willing to refund your money. Maybe you can write the Eagles touring company to see if they will give you a refund. It may be worth a shot. Thankfully, this seems to be a rare exception, but I'm sure the band would not want lots of dissatisfied fans.

As far as the 'comic relief' and 'prima donna' comments by reviewers, I also agree with TBF and Soda. I don't think this particular reviewer was being that critical. Besides the guys have apparently willingly assumed certain roles during their live shows that reinforce these perceptions. It is a fact that one of Glenn's roles is to provide the comic relief during the show. He seems to embrace it, and I doubt that he would be offended by that comment in the least. As Soda said, no one is saying that all Glenn does is a stand up comedy routine. In any event, I'd bet that pretty much everything that reviewers and critics say about the band rolls right off their shoulders at this point. Our guys seem to be pretty comfortable with their roles these days. As a fan - if they're okay, I'm okay. Personally, the only time I have a big problem with reviews is when there is an unfair bias about the significance of one member's contribution over the others, or when a reviewer seems to just hate everything about the band.

Freypower
01-16-2009, 06:09 PM
I'm afraid that yesterday that comment hit me hard, that's all. I don't believe Glenn gets very much credit for his singing or his stage presence or the fact that he co-wrote most of the songs. To me that just summed up the attitude of most reviewers. The jokes and the 'assisted living' stuff seem to be all they hear when he is involved. I don't know how often I have now seen 'assisted living' quoted in a review. All I want is for someone to say that he sang a song well. They don't have to say he was the standout or anything like that, because I know they won't. I just want more recognition of his talent than I believe he gets.

I don't like 'prima donna' either, DF.

sodascouts
01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
To Sodascouts: we asked for a refund and the venue stated that was not possible as it was a problem with Eagles production. In another local blog site a person stated that the Eagles decided not to use the arena sound system. Very disappointing.

Wow. I'm sorry to hear it. What a shame!

Prettymaid
01-16-2009, 06:52 PM
It's true that most of these reviewers pigeonhole the guys - it's like they all read the very first review and decided to draft their own after it. Wouldn't it be strange, for example, to read a review where Timothy rocked, Don was funny, Joe was stoic and Glenn is given credit for his vocals?

sodascouts
01-16-2009, 06:54 PM
lol PM! All four of those statements have actually popped up in reviews before - it's just quite rare! Like you said, it's easier for them to just pigeonhole. Most of these guys don't do much research about the band and they just use preconceived notions as the basis for the judgments.

Freypower
01-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I actually was thinking of writing a spoof review that contained all the cliches every written about the four members.

'Joe Walsh, the Clown Prince of Rock, stunned the audience with his goofy faces and guitar pyrotechnics. He was The Most Animated Eagle.

Timothy B. Schmit, with his Angelic High Voice, was the band's anchor.

Don Henley's Intensity and Political Commitment shone through in such classics as The Boys Of Summer (that's the song they always, and I mean always, have to mention).

Glenn Frey provided the Lighthearted Comic moments with his MC Duties' (now do you see what I'm getting at)?

This isn't very good, and I am sure someone could do a lot better than this.

Peekaboo
01-16-2009, 08:10 PM
Welcome from me as well F41. Shame about the sound at your concert. I agree with the others here that you should try to get a refund. We all know pretty well how much those tickets cost.

GlennLover
01-17-2009, 12:10 AM
I agree that Glenn should get much more recognition for his musical abilities. Sometimes I think that he is just taken for granted, that he is expected to be good (i.e., as good as he is on their albums) & he has been such a consistent performer over the years that his abilities aren't mentioned. If he gave a less than great performance we would probably hear about it. Just MHO.

As for his comic relief, he cracks me up too. I was really disapointed when he didn't do his plaintiff joke at the concert that I saw. I find myself chuckling outloud when I listen to his Foxsboro & Casino Rama concerts, and that is something that is unusual for me.

sodascouts
01-18-2009, 02:31 PM
I don't know if this is a review per se but it has some interesting thoughts:

Flashbacks

At the beginning of a semester, I attended a staff development session about the different generations in America--ranging from the Veterans (my parents' generation) to Baby Boomers (me) then the Gen X-ers (my baby sister and my daughter) and the Milliennials (my younger son and my current students--at least the ones of traditional college age.) The sociologists may question the dividing lines and cut-off dates, but the descriptors intrigued me. The implications for faculty made up of about 3/4 Baby Boomers teaching Millenials were challenging, to say the least.

This past week, my husband and I went to Charlotte, NC, with another couple to see the Eagles in concert (not the Philadelphia football team). I had last seen them live in 1975, standing in my chair on the second row in Nashville, TN, for most of the show. While I was looking forward to the show, I was overwhelmed by the performance.

I'll admit, Glen Frey, Don Henley, Joe Walsh and Timothy Smith, members from the seventies, looked older--no surprise--and wore black suits, white shirts, and black ties, almost an early Beatles look. The one thing that hadn't changed was the quality of their voices. They put on an almost-three-hour show and sang both their old songs from their Grammy-nominated (as they continued to remind us) album Long Way to Eden to their classics--"Peaceful, Easy Feeling," "Life in the Fast Lane," "Hotel California." The tight harmony and the instrumental versatility of the band showed them to be more than fluff.

Going into the arena, I accurately predicted the encore songs: "Desperado" and "Take It Easy." While the audience was packed with all age groups, we Boomers were in the majority. We knew all the words and got all the jokes. For those three hours, we were transported to our college days--"Lying Eyes," "Take It to the Limit," and "Witchy Woman."

In fact, the Eagles spent some time in my hometown back when I was in high school. At the time, the Muscle Shoals Sound drew all the great recording artists--the Rolling Stones, Steppenwolf, Joe Cocker, and Kris Kristofferson, to name a few. My best friend Debbie somehow ran into the Eagles while they were in town and ended up driving them to buy socks. They gave her a set of drumsticks. Back then we were exposed to so many big musicians that we at least pretended not to be fazed by them.

I realized during the concert that we had such great lyricists writing "our music." I wonder how much the switch from albums to CDs has affected the literacy level of liner notes. Now that most people just download their music, I wonder if we'll lose that quirky little genre. If I were younger (i.e., my eyes were better), I might be able to peruse the CD liners notes more easily. Now I need a magnifying glass. I've noticed that many don't even print the lyrics of the songs, much less other clever text.

During the concert, I recalled the first year I taught high school when some of my students had the lyrics from an Eagle song --I think it was "Whatever Happened to Saturday Night?"--and were trying to trace the literary allusions. And it wasn't an English class assignment. I hope that urge hasn't disappeared. After all, our best songwriters are some of the poets of our day, letting us create our own music videos in our heads.

- http://discriminatingreader.blogspot.com/

EagleLady
01-18-2009, 02:33 PM
:brickwall: They could've spelled Glenn's name right

Peekaboo
01-18-2009, 09:17 PM
That was really interesting read. Thanks Soda. Sounds like this lady had a pretty great time at the concert. But the one thing that really caught my attention and made me re-read the sentence was when she mentioned her friend giving the Eagles a ride to go buy socks. What?!! To buy sock?!! Okay i'm not saying i wouldn't drive the guys anywhere they wanted to go but of all things, she drove them to buy socks. I just thought that was kinda funny.

Freypower
01-19-2009, 12:25 AM
I agree that Glenn should get much more recognition for his musical abilities. Sometimes I think that he is just taken for granted, that he is expected to be good (i.e., as good as he is on their albums) & he has been such a consistent performer over the years that his abilities aren't mentioned. If he gave a less than great performance we would probably hear about it. Just MHO.

As for his comic relief, he cracks me up too. I was really disapointed when he didn't do his plaintiff joke at the concert that I saw. I find myself chuckling outloud when I listen to his Foxsboro & Casino Rama concerts, and that is something that is unusual for me.

He is far more spontaneous in solo shows than he is with the Eagles. He won't talk nearly as much with the Eagles as he does at solo shows.

GlennLover
01-20-2009, 12:13 AM
It seems that even though he is the one that does most of the talking (as MC) in the Eagles concerts, he doesn't want to take attention away from the other members of the band & keeps the "chatter" (as he called it when I saw them) to a minimum. Glenn seems to go out of his way to give credit to the rest of the band, including Will, Scott, Steuart, etc.

I would die to see his solo show. :inlove:

Also FP, I love your "Born With Charisma". That is sooooo true :smitten:.

Freypower
01-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Thanks. The phrase was actually coined by Bob Lefsetz several years ago. I 'adopted' it.

DonFan
01-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Now THIS is a good review--from the Charleston City Paper:

The Eagles
Fri. Jan. 16
North Charleston Coliseum

White shirts, charcoal suits, and ties ... not quite a page from the Jake and Elwood Blues style book (no shades), but the Eagles looked dapper enough to get into any swank restaurant, thank you very much. They're not kids anymore — nor was much of their audience on Friday night — but they weren't afraid to show it. After 30 years and more than 100 million in album sales, like the man said, they have earned the right.

Of course, you don't hear blues or jazz musicians taken to task over their maturity. We assume that they just get better with some miles on them. No, this is what a classic FM rock band endures because rock is no sleek ride but a muscle car roaring with lead-footed excess.

The point isn't lost on the Eagles themselves. "We're the band that would not die," Glenn Frey quipped. And the sell-out crowd, many of them enjoying deja vu of summers long past, could not have been happier.
The Eagles gave them what they came for: songs from their catalog like "Witchy Woman," "Lyin' Eyes," and "Take it to the Limit," along with hits from their solo careers, Don Henley's "The Boys of Summer," and "Dirty Laundry," Joe Walsh's spirited "Life's Been Good." They played eight songs from the 2007 album Long Road Out of Eden, demonstrating that creativity really is a renewable resource.

The second half of the show opened with the band seated, jackets off, getting down to business with ringing harmonies. Behind them, an arched projection screen reminiscent of the Hollywood Bowl displayed mini-films. Far from distracting, these genuinely added to the evening's performance, giving us among other things home-movie like footage of the band that was both nostalgic and funny.

In the '70s, L.A.'s Laurel Canyon neighborhood spawned the likes of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Joni Mitchell, James Taylor, and Jackson Browne. Spending a Friday night with the Eagles, we got to see that youthful talent take wing.

TimothyBFan
01-27-2009, 09:46 AM
Nice, short and to the point!!:p

Ive always been a dreamer
01-27-2009, 11:20 AM
How refreshing - a reviewer that understands he doesn't have to find something negative to say!

eaglesvet
01-29-2009, 11:56 PM
I like that..."creativity is a renewable resource."