PDA

View Full Version : President-elect Obama!

Stars
01-17-2009, 06:45 PM
I had the opportunity this afternoon to catch a brief glimpse of our President-elect, Barack Obama! I live in Wilmington, DE, which is the home of our VP-elect Joe Biden. Obama took the train from Philadelphia to Washington, DC, and on the way, stopped in Wilmington to pick up Joe.
My husband and I wanted to see them on their train journey, but realized how crowded it would be in Wilmington, so we went to another nearby train station in Newark, DE. We waited about an hour and a half, and were rewarded with a quick sighting of President-elect Obama, standing on the platform of the Pullman car of the train, waving enthusiastically to the large crowd, as the train sped on by. We had an enormous American flag which we were were displaying, and several people in the crowd offered to help us hold it up. Even though it was freezing cold outside, we all had a blast, and feel as though we have been a part of history!:nod:

sodascouts
01-17-2009, 08:09 PM
How cool! I tried to get a glimpse of him when he came to Purdue, but after he finished speaking, he hurried to his car and didn't come near or even look at the group of students gathered behind the barrier in the hopes of seeing him. I'm glad you had more luck!

Stars
01-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Soda, it was very quick-I had been hoping the train would slow down, as it did several times along the way. However, when it flew through Newark, it was travelling about 60 mph. It was kind of a blur, but I could see them standing back there waving to everyone.
I am sorry you didn't get to see him in Purdue. I hope you have the opportunity another time. I would also love to see him again-a little bit slower next time!:wink:

eaglesvet
01-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Stars, I was wondering if you might be involved in the goings-on, given your hometown! I have been toying with the idea of going to DC for Tuesday, since I am off. I tried in vain to get tickets for the parade/other events. I was online at Ticketmaster at the exact day/time the parade tix went onsale, and it kept saying they were not on sale yet. I hung out online as long as I could at work (only 10 minutes, but for a 5000-ticket sale, that would've been long enough to sell out, I am sure)--but kept getting the not-on-sale message. By the time I could get back to it hours later, of course they were sold out. I even wrote in to his website, where he was offering 10 prs of tickets to those who wrote in the best answer to the question,"What does Obama's inaguaration mean to me?" Other than the fact that only 10 people were chosen, I thought I had a decent chance with my little essay--because I was REALLY into him as a candidate, and am more thrilled, optimistic, and excited about his Presidency than ever before in my life--and I thought that might have come through in my writing!

Anyway, here it is, Saturday night, and no tickets to anything Inaugural. I am definitely going to watch the concert on TV Sunday...I think it's 2:30 pm on the East Coast. Springsteen, JT, Sheryl Crow, U2, and others...can't beat it! Then, I'm still trying to devise a plan to be a part of history on Tuesday...the drive is not the issue; it's a matter of what to do once I get into the city so that I actually see/hear something! Any suggestions?

Freypower
01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
EV, I share your excitement. I know Mr Obama is going to have an extremely heavy schedule for some time to come. If he ever makes a state visit here, I will be there.