PDA

View Full Version : Grammy Chat Party

sodascouts
01-18-2009, 12:23 AM
Dreamer and I were talking about having a chat, and it occurred to me that the Grammys are coming up. I think it would be fun if we had a "chat party" during the Grammys. We can comment on the various outfits and winners and losers - and - of course - root for the Eagles together!

The Grammys are on Feb. 8 at 8:00 Eastern, but feel free to join us anytime!

ticky
01-18-2009, 12:52 AM
Fun! I'll be there!

eaglesvet
01-18-2009, 01:19 AM
I've never done a chat, but I'd be happy to give it a whirl! As far as I know, I should be home that night, unless something changes. I'll be cheerin' on not only our boys, but also my other man Bruuuuce! :blueblob: He's up for Best Solo Rock Vocal, and Best Rock Song--both for Girls in Their Summer Clothes, one of the best-est songs off the Magic album. The song's a throw-back to his roots "down the Shore", and very reminiscent of his earlier style of music! Can't be beat, IMO!:thumbsup:

ETA: Analogy: GITSC is to Magic what How Long is to LROOE...so you know how it makes us long-time fans feel--on both accounts!

GlennLover
01-18-2009, 01:46 AM
I'll be there if I can. Keeping my fingers crossed for our guys!

Peekaboo
01-18-2009, 09:44 AM
I have to work that night but i should be able to watch it while i'm getting ready for work. I'll pop in and chat if I can.

Freypower
01-19-2009, 12:16 AM
I will try to come, but I won't be watching the Grammys.

EagleLady
01-19-2009, 12:44 AM
I will be there. FP, Your Signatures are so creative.

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2009, 07:02 PM
I can't see myself making this one sadly, :headshake: unless some miracle gets hubby out of the house for a while that evening. 8pm your time is 1am over here and its a school morning next day.

:idea: I COULD plead insomnia

TimothyBFan
01-20-2009, 07:44 AM
I will probably be there but probably not be watching the awards. It was bad enough I put hubby thru having to watch the CMAs because the boys performed but will never get him to watch the Grammys when the boys aren't performing. To much hip hop and junk for us. I will be able to keep updated tho thru the chat so that will be cool.

TimothyBFan
01-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Just got this Google Alert!!! Why am I just now getting this????? I originally thought it was about the Grammy's which made sense that it would come out now. My hopes were up. Oh Well!!

http://www.naomijudd.com/wordpress/?p=104
NAOMI ANNOUNCED AS PRESENTER FOR 2008 CMT MUSIC AWARDS

Country Artists, TV Stars Announced as Presenters for CMT Music Awards

The list of presenters has been announced for the 2008 CMT Music Awards, including Jason Aldean, Jewel, Josh Turner, Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, comedian Rodney Carrington, Sara Evans, Taylor Swift, the Eagles’ Joe Walsh and Timothy B. Schmit and actor Tim Daly (ABC’s Private Practice). Additional presenters include CMT personalities Katie Cook (CMT Insider), Lance Smith (Top 20 Countdown), along with Bobby Brown, John Rich and Maureen McCormick (Gone Country), Tom Arnold (My Big Redneck Wedding) and Naomi Judd and Rossi Morreale (Can You Duet). Hosted by Billy Ray Cyrus and Miley Cyrus, the show airs live from Nashville’s Curb Event Center at Belmont University on April 14 on CMT and CMT.com.

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 02:57 PM
Shouldn't it say 2009?

TimothyBFan
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Yup--reading it again, it was just posted this morning so it has to be 2009. Do they maybe call it for the year before because it is awards from that year not the year they show it? I'm confused and maybe this should be put in another topic.

Hey Soda should we start a new topic for the CMTs for 2009--Help!!

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 03:01 PM
It should be 2009 CMT awards but the awards are for the recognition of the artist from 2008.

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 03:48 PM
This news item was released originally in April of 2008 - this is for last year's ceremony. Who knows why they took so long to post it!

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
Way to dash my hopes :(

DonFan
02-03-2009, 07:31 PM
The Grammy chat party sounds like fun, y'all--I will do my best to be there!

Here is a little Grammy press from a site called Examiner.com:

"The thing about this year's Grammys is a lot of the nominees really are the best of the year. Now, it's best if we reveal our bias right here and now - we are all about the Eagles and Taylor Swift. The former should win everything in the several categories they are nominated for, and the latter will win everything next year. But as Don Henley, Glenn Frey and the boys know, there likely be some heartache this coming Sunday night."

And here's more, his prediction for Best Pop Vocal Album:

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM - Long Road Out of Eden - The Eagles. Lots of bands proclaim that they are, but the Eagles really are the biggest band in the world. They are also the men who made the huge comeback album, their first of new material in 28 years, that almost single handedly saved the music industry last year. And, oh yeah, harmonies from Heaven.

The Eagles really are the best nominees of the year. I hope this writer is right and there is no "heartache" that night--I hope they DO win everything in the categories they are nominated for. :pray:
I'm ready to celebrate! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
02-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Me too!! Here's hoping the Eagles sweep! But even if they don't, at LEAST let them win one award - and let it be televised - and let them be there to accept it! They deserve it!

TimothyBFan
02-04-2009, 07:59 AM
Nice little post there!! :applause: I just hope the people that vote for this stuff agrees!

sodascouts
02-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Just bought a bottle of champagne to celebrate in case our guys win!

Ive always been a dreamer
02-08-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm hoping to be able to make the chat party tonight. My mom will be staying with me overnight though, so it depends on if I can get her to sleep. Either way, I've got my fingers crossed that the guys will be there at the ceremony and, more importantly, take home some more statues. :pray: :pray: :pray:

TimothyBFan
02-08-2009, 12:00 PM
Dreamer--maybe if you slip her a little of Soda's champagne! Sorry--that was naughty wasn't it?

Anyways, I plan to be there, as said before not sure will be able to watch tho. If you guys tell me that the boys have shown up and might have to move to another TV and turn it on.

02-08-2009, 12:14 PM
Dreamer--maybe if you slip her a little of Soda's champagne! Sorry--that was naughty wasn't it?

Hmmm, TBF - well maybe a little naughty, but definitely noteworthy. :wink:

Glennsallnighter
02-08-2009, 06:03 PM
Much as I would like to be there sadly I won't. But I want to take this opportunity to wish our boys the best of luck. They deserve to win at least one award and I would love to see them there to accept it.

:idea: Could someone who IS at the chat party text me if they DO win please?

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:08 PM
Well guys, I have some good news and bad news. I looked on the Grammy Scorecard (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_blog/2008/12/grammy-scorecar.html) and....

Bad news: None of the awards the guys are up for are being televised. That doesn't mean they won't be there, but there won't be any acceptance speeches.

The good news:

I DREAMED THERE WAS NO WAR won Best Pop Instrumental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS GLENN AND THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Peekaboo
02-08-2009, 08:18 PM
Well that sucks that their awards aren't being televised but a huge CONGRATULATIONS to they guys on the win for IDTWNW. 1 down 3 to go.

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:20 PM
I'm afraid that according to the scorecard, they've already lost the other three. At least they got one!

BEST POP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS
"Viva La Vida," Coldplay
"Waiting In The Weeds," Eagles
"Going On," Gnarls Barkley
"Won't Go Home Without You," Maroon 5
"Apologize," OneRepublic

BEST POP INSTRUMENTAL PERFORMANCE
"Love Appetite," Steve Cropper & Felix Cavaliere
"I Dreamed There Was No War," Eagles
"Fortune Teller," Fourplay
"Steppin' Out," Stanley Jordan
"Blast" Marcus Miller

BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM
"Detours," Sheryl Crow
"Rockferry," Duffy
"Long Road Out Of Eden," Eagles
"Spirit," Leona Lewis
"Covers," James Taylor

BEST ROCK PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS
"Rock N Roll Train," AC/DC
"Violet Hill," Coldplay
"Long Road Out Of Eden," Eagles
"Sex On Fire," Kings Of Leon
"House Of Cards," Radiohead

Peekaboo
02-08-2009, 08:24 PM
DANG IT!!! That sucks!!:evil::evil: At least they got one win. It's better than none at all. I just have one question....who the heck is Duffy? I've never heard of them before. How dare they beat the Eagles!!

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:29 PM
Duffy is a female singer. Her biggest hit is "Mercy" ("you got me beggin' you for mercy, why don't you release me" etc.) You can listen to her here:

Mercy

I like her fine, but she's no Eagles!

TimothyBFan
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
What a let down!! At least they did get something tho. I also am wondering who Duffy is?

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:31 PM
See above TBF!

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 08:56 PM
Forget Duffy, I can't believe "Long Road Out of Eden" lost Best Rock Performance to "Sex on Fire"!

Glennhoney
02-08-2009, 09:26 PM
I am very proud of our boys for winning "best pop instrumental"...well done..congratulations.... we all know they deserved to win all the awards and in our hearts, they did :hug:

Maleah
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Disappointed that the guys lost all but one.......but hey.......JT/Keith/Al Green/and Boyz II Men were AWESOME!!

Brooke
02-08-2009, 09:53 PM
Just wanted to say Hi to everyone in chat.

I could see all of you, but couldn't get my "text" to send. I see everything, but my text doesn't appear when I type and nothing happens when I send. :shrug:

Anyone know what I should do?

GlennLover
02-08-2009, 09:54 PM
Hi Brooke. I am having problems too!

Brooke
02-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi GL.

Darn this mac!

Freypower
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM
Congratulations to Glenn & the band for winning a Grammy for I Dreamed There Was No War. It was thoroughly deserved.

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Looks like the problems have solved themselves for now... : knock on wood :

sodascouts
02-08-2009, 11:33 PM
At least Tim came!

http://www.daylife.com/photo/00iYeDA7i2ds2

DonFan
02-09-2009, 01:13 AM
I'm happy they won one, at least. Congratulations, guys!!!

I SO wanted LROOE and Waiting in the Weeds to win. They deserved it.

And, once again, I am furious that Neil Diamond got to perform after he was awarded MusiCares Person of the Year and Don didn't.

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 01:32 AM
I'm with you, DF. That makes no sense!!!!

EasyFeeling
02-09-2009, 06:56 AM
Congratulations to the Eagles !!! Too bad they won "only" one :-?
Keith was up with Trisha Yearwood and they didn't win. :evil: I haven't watched the show because it was in the middle of the night... only watched the performance with Al Green, Timberlake, Boys II Men and Keith in the internet, great! I have never seen Keith playing soul music, good job.

TimothyBFan
02-09-2009, 08:16 AM
At least Tim came!

http://www.daylife.com/photo/00iYeDA7i2ds2

Thanks for posting this pic! Love the little gray at the temples-Yummy!!

So he's the only one that showed huh? Wonder why he is the one to always go to these. Do you all think it is voluntary or he is designated by the others to be the one that shows up for these things? Just wondering!

Didn't get to see any of it, but saw recaps this morning and must also say--WOW for Robert Plant!!!:yay: I am very happy for him and Allison. Both so very talented. Will also try to check out the Al Green performance, I bet that was good.

Edited to add: Love the Al Green/Justin Timberlake performance!!! WOW!! And wasn't that Keith Urban playing guitar in the background?

Koala
02-09-2009, 09:28 AM
Congratulations to the Eagles!
What a pity them only in a category have won!
But better one price than no price!

MikeA
02-09-2009, 09:33 AM
And THIS is why you saw Timberlake Green and the others perform. Their's was an almost impromptu performance as they stood in for Brown and Rihanna who had to cancel their portion of the Awards Show:

http://www.popeater.com/music/article/chris-brown-rihanna/333773

I didn't watch the entire show (Discovery was doing a marathon on Monster Huntiong <LOL>). But of the part I did see, I thought Carrie Underwood and Cris Rock were OUTSTANDING.

Someone mentioned earlier that their husband couldn't handle the HipHop. I can't either.

tbs fanatic
02-09-2009, 10:51 AM
I watched the show on and off all night. I did catch Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift - nice song and nicely done. I'm interested in hearing the Plant/Krause CD now - I'm not familiar with any of the songs on it.

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Willie, it WAS Keith Urban in the background playing guitar on that song!

I heard 2 different versions of the Chris Brown/Rihanna story this am. On the NYC radio news, they said that Chris assaulted a woman who was NOT Rihanna. On msnbc.com, I read that he assaulted Rihanna, and that her face was bruised. Last night in chat, someone had heard that she was in a car accident...but now I bet the car "accident" was not with another car...it was with Chris's fists! Unbelievable! I really like both of them as artists; I can't believe he could (allegedly) do that to her!

02-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Well the Grammy Chat Party was quite a success even if our guys didn't show (except Timothy, of course). Obviously I have nothing to back this up, but it does seem as if Tim is the band's designee to attend these functions. Maybe if the awards that the band was up for had been televised, they would have all attended.

tbs fanatic
02-09-2009, 12:21 PM
I also caught Kid Rock and thought he did a great performance. I'm really liking him more and more.

TimothyBFan
02-09-2009, 01:09 PM
Did any of you that watched actually see Timothy in the audience or anything? I've been checking on line to see if there are any other pics of him there last night but can't find anything.:neutral:

02-09-2009, 01:16 PM
TBF - I thought I saw Tim in the audience briefly about 3/4 of the way through the show, but I'm not positive. I taped the show, so I'll go back through it when I get a chance to see if I can find it. I don't remember when exactly it was so it'll make it a little harder. Oh - the sacrifices we must make!!! :wink: :wink:

ticky
02-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Willie, I didnt see him in the audience at all, but they didnt really show the audience much.

Dana, Ya know, since Kid Rock switched his genre away from Rap and more towards rock and blues based rock, I really like him!! After last night, I down loaded his album Rock and Roll Jesus, which is AMAZING! Im 'podding him right along with Johnny Lang *G* (There goes the rest of my audio books *G*)

TimothyBFan
02-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I was hoping someone got a snippet of him anyways! Maybe something will turn up yet.

Ticky-I agree--I like Kid better now that he's making more sense to me. I still loved his acting tho in Joe Dirt. :hilarious: Hey-Are you a Jonny Lang fan? Good for you!!!

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 01:43 PM
I'm afraid I never caught a glimpse of Tim. You have sharper eyes than I do, dreamer! He does seem to be the one who shows up for these things ever since the AMAs in 1995, but he's so fan-friendly I wouldn't be surprised if he volunteered to do it rather than being "designated." At any rate, he doesn't seem to mind. The good news is that he appears to be feeling better!

EagleLady
02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
:evil: Man, they only won one award, but That's better than Nothing. and I can't believe Chris Brown would do that to Rihanna, What a jerk.

Freypower
02-09-2009, 07:36 PM
See Schmit Sexiness for the WireImage photos of Tim.

I am very happy for Robert Plant because I don't think Led Zeppelin ever won a Grammy. But I haven't actually got the album yet!

melrose
02-09-2009, 08:15 PM
I found a Timothy B. Schmit interview from the red carpet.

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/grammys-grammys-timothy-b-schmidt-red-carpet-interview/3920471025

Lisa
02-09-2009, 09:35 PM
I'm glad they won one!

Prettymaid
02-09-2009, 09:41 PM
He talks about the importance of staying healthy...poor Timothy! He seems heathy now though.

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Thanks for finding that, Melrose. Tim looks healthy, happy to say, and Jean is lovely as always.

melrose
02-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I'm happy that he is doing better. He is such a kind person.

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 10:35 PM
:evil: Man, they only won one award, but That's better than Nothing. and I can't believe Chris Brown would do that to Rihanna, What a jerk.
The press is saying his career is toast. Stupid move...he is talented, and was really having a good last year or two.

EagleLady
02-09-2009, 10:37 PM
The press is saying his career is toast. Stupid move...he is talented, and was really having a good last year or two.

I agree. It's quite Cowardly when a man hits a woman.

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 10:43 PM
On to Timmy's interview...I don't really get to hear him speak much. I love his intonations...he sounds organic and wholesome just in his manner of speaking! Quite relaxed, too--Californian through and through, I guess!

melrose
02-09-2009, 10:45 PM
He sounds like such a down to earth guy.

Just Another Hired Hand
02-09-2009, 10:46 PM
Someone mentioned earlier that their husband couldn't handle the HipHop. I can't either.

The best part of the Grammys was definitely the chat. The participants were very witty and entertaining. MikeA, I couldn't agree with you more...when it comes to rap I put a "c" in front of it and flush it...I mean change the channel!

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 10:51 PM
What I found most entertaining about the chat were the trails of the conversations. Because of the time delays in typing, comments didn't necessarily follow in order...so there would be a comment about the Australian fires followed by a comment on Sheryl Crow's dress followed by some exotic food combo Ticky had ordered out, then back to the fires...at times it actually kept me so busy I had to take my mind off the actual Grammys for a minute or two in order to make a coherent comment. But it was fun!

sodascouts
02-09-2009, 11:44 PM
I'm glad you guys had fun! The ways of chat take some getting used to, that's for sure. Now you realize how all that chatting on AIM and MSN teaches the kids to think fast, at least. ;)

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Sorry, AIM and MSN? (My Space something? I know I should know this pretty darn soon...)

EagleLady
02-10-2009, 12:42 AM
MSN is Microsoft Network

ticky
02-10-2009, 12:52 AM
I think Soda's talking about AIM~ Aol Instant Messenger and MSM~ Microsost Messenger, and you need to add texting to that list. I think they do a lot more texting these days then chatting anymore!

sodascouts
02-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Sorry guys! AIM = AOL Instant Messenger. Microsoft also has a chat which is commonly just called MSN Messenger. Those are the two most popular types of chat that kids use to message each other.

TimothyBFan
02-10-2009, 08:15 AM
Melrose--Thanks so much for finding that!! He's looking like he has been getting some rest. Ironic that he even mentions how important that is considering the reports from the last few shows. That small bit I posted in the other Grammy thread mentioned his working on his solo project also, so hopefully he's staying close to home and getting rested for some more of the tour next month. Him and Jean are such a class act! They looked fabulous!

Brooke
02-11-2009, 05:46 PM
-WOW for Robert Plant!!!:yay: I am very happy for him and Allison. Both so very talented.

Found this pic of them:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/Gram2008PlantKraussTboneBurnett.jpg

I think someone in chat mentioned "weathered"! :lol:

I just can't see them together, but what do I know!

Freypower
02-11-2009, 07:14 PM
They're not 'together' in that sense as far as I am aware. I think Robert is still with his second wife.

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 07:16 PM
Alison is a very pretty Lady. No offense but Plant hasn't really aged that well IMO.

MikeA
02-11-2009, 07:23 PM
He's the same age as Walsh (and me) Walsh has weathered the storm that Plant seems to have not been as fortunate in. Is he in pretty good health? Those guys lived about 50 years compressed into 10. 60's and 70's were TOUGH for someone with their lifestyles. Many didn't make it at all, but Plant is still here and Rockin'. So maybe it's just skin deep. I hope so.

EagleLady
02-11-2009, 07:24 PM
He's the same age as Walsh (and me) Walsh has weathered the storm that Plant seems to have not been as fortunate in. Is he in pretty good health? Those guys lived about 50 years compressed into 10. 60's and 70's were TOUGH for someone with their lifestyles. Many didn't make it at all, but Plant is still here and Rockin'. So maybe it's just skin deep. I hope so.

I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone, He doesn't seem to have weathered the storm as well as others.

Freypower
02-11-2009, 07:25 PM
I think Robert still looks pretty good considering. His birthday was August 20 1948 so in fact he's closest to Glenn in age.

Prettymaid
02-11-2009, 07:29 PM
I think sometimes they (stars) don't know what to do with their hair and clothes as they age, so they try to keep it the same. What am I saying, regular people do that too!

TimothyBFan
02-12-2009, 07:41 AM
OK--Just my 2 cents on the Robert Plant thing--Simple--"Weathered" or not, I'd STILL do him!:hilarious:

MikeA
02-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Nah, absolutely no offense at all EL.

Most of us who have "made it" this far are just thankful we have survived! Some like Joe and the other Eagles have "survived" a bit better than others. When I think of the "Gods" of Rock who have changed in appearance more than others, Plant and Baker come to mind instantly (Ginger Baker of Cream).

Not to say that the Eagles haven't changed. To me, Joe doesn't look much at all like he did in the 70's (he looks healthier to me now) and neither do Glenn and Don though they don't seem to have changed as much as Joe.....Tim just looks the same!

Regardless of my joking around with the picture of that bombshell pictured with Walsh sucking on her ear (I'm sure she IS an intellectual Nova!), I really don't pay that much attention to to anyone's appearance. Point in fact is Janis Joplin. She was just plain homely but was in the top 1/3 of my "obsessions" back in 69/70/71. I tend to pay a LOT more attention to "who" someone is rather than who they "appear" to be.

Brooke
02-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I think sometimes they (stars) don't know what to do with their hair and clothes as they age, so they try to keep it the same. What am I saying, regular people do that too!

I think you're right, Pm. Our Eagles look great for their age. I think that Plant's hair just doesn't go with his face anymore and he would look much better with it cut in to a more age appropriate style.

For some reason, Timothy still looks great with his long hair. One of the very few that can pull it off.

Fp, I knew they weren't 'together' physically. To me, she's so young and he's so old that their 'style of music' just doesn't seem 'together'. And I should not judge, because I haven't heard the cd. I'm sure it must be good as well as it's done.

timfan
02-14-2009, 09:41 PM
From this man's blog about attending the grammy's
Talk about a lucky guy!

Sunday rolled around really fast. Sharon and I went to get coffee and talk outside. After that we went to get dressed, etc. We take a taxi about four blocks from the Staples Center. We show our IDs and Grammys letter. We are given a purple band for our wrist only to find out we are VIP. How?? And then taken to the Staples Center and escorted inside into the arena. The inside looked spectacular with the lighting and colors. Did you guys know that each seat is about $3,000-4,000? That's insane. We got them for free! Thanks Jackie! Once celebrities were piled in to sit at their designated seats, our escort took us to seat with them. I don't remember who Jered sat with, but Sharon and I were on 4th row in the center of the arena. We could literally see the stage and the colorful stairs. When I turned to my left to see who I was sitting next to I realized I was face to face with Timothy B. Schmit of The Eagles. His wife was sitting next to him, and asked if it was my seat. I said I was a guest on the VIP section, but that I'd move when the artists were going to move to present on stage. That's how Sharon, Jered and I were networking in presenting ourselves, etc. Anyways, I was also sitting behind Adam Lavine of Maroon 5. And behind us was Natalie Cole. How great was that? At the very front I saw Paul McCartney and his wife. Sharon pointed at him and smiled and he pointed back, smiled and waved. She was glowing. In that same row with him was Nicole Kidman and her husband. On the other side of the column was Taylor Swift, Miley Cyrus and her mom. T.I was behind them. Zoey Deschanel was 5 rows back. We were right with the stars!

Here's his full blog on the grammy's: http://filmbugg.livejournal.com/172283.html