PDA

View Full Version : I Can't Stand Still

Stars
01-18-2009, 01:54 PM
Today I started listening to the "I Can't Stand Still" album for the first time. I have only heard the first five songs, but I LOVE every single one of them!:heart:
I am having so much fun discovering Don's solo work-looking forward to hearing the rest of the album!:yay:

eaglesvet
01-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Today I started listening to the "I Can't Stand Still" album for the first time. I have only heard the first five songs, but I LOVE every single one of them!:heart:
I am having so much fun discovering Don's solo work-looking forward to hearing the rest of the album!:yay:
Did you already own it? If not, where are you finding these older solos? You've heard my predicament...

Stars
01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
EV, I recently found all Don's solo albums on Amazon Marketplace. They are very reasonably priced too, unlike FYE who was charging $29.99 for a USED copy of "Building the Perfect Beast". I asked the manager about that, as I was sure it was a mistake, but she said that was correct. I was shocked!:stunned:

sodascouts
01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
ICSS has some amazing ballads.

I'm lucky to have a local used CD store that has all sorts of Eagles solo stuff - even Timothy!

Stars
01-18-2009, 02:12 PM
Soda,you are lucky to have that used CD store near you. Whenever my hubby and I travel, we are always on the look out for places that sell used CDs.:)

Freypower
01-19-2009, 12:10 AM
I have often thought that ICSS is more 'the real Don' than his subsequent albums. Also this is the only solo album where he played drums on some tracks.

My personal ranking of the tracks:

1. Talking To The Moon
2. Dirty Laundry
3. Lilah
4. Nobody's Business
5. Long Way Home
6. I Can't Stand Still
7. La Eile
8. The Unclouded Day
9. You Better Hang Up
10. Johnny Can't Read
11. Them & Us

eaglesvet
01-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Ooh, this does sound like a great one to get!

Stars
01-19-2009, 09:29 AM
EV, you will love it! Check the Marketplace and see what you come up with!:thumbsup:

Stars
01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
FP, I love all these recent pics of Glenn that you use as your av and sig. Keep 'em coming!:)

thelongrun
01-19-2009, 03:43 PM

Goodf choice, most friends disagree with me but that's his best Album IMO:thumbsup:

Freypower
01-19-2009, 06:10 PM
I think it's his second best album after The End Of The Innocence. It is not over-produced with synthesizers as is BTPB and to me the majority of the songs appear to come from personal experience. I think he does some of his best singing on this album.

EagleLady
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
To be fair FP, Most of the music in the 80s had a synthizer feel to it. But I do love the song Dirty Laundry.

Freypower
01-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I thought the use of synthesizers on the Building The Perfect Beast album was far too excessive, no matter how prevalent they were in the 80s. I think I Can't Stand Still has a more 'natural' rock sound. I will always prefer guitars to keyboards.

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 02:18 AM
I was just re-listening to this and you just can't beat the beautiful simplicity of this album's ballads.

My ranking:

1. Talking To The Moon
2. Lilah
3. Long Way Home
4. The Unclouded Day
5. Dirty Laundry
6. Nobody's Business
7. You Better Hang Up
8. La Eile
9. I Can't Stand Still
10. Them And Us
11. Johnny Can't Read

Peekaboo
01-20-2009, 11:11 AM
This album does have some really beautiful ballads on it. Talking To The Moon is my favorite song on it but I've always really enjoyed listening to Unclouded Day. Hearing it reminds me of my grandmother. She was a Methodist preacher and I always remember hearing her singing church songs and tribal hymns around the house. Every once in a while I would hear her singing Unclouded Day.

SweetHolly
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
I love I Can't Stand Still. I had a bit of trouble finding it in a used store but I ordered it a few years ago on walmart's website. My favorite track is Talking To The Moon.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-21-2009, 12:26 PM
ICSS is my second favorite of Don's solo album. I really like almost all of the songs on it. Even the two or three that I'm not that crazy about are still not that bad. I agree that the ballads are fantastic, even though my list of rankings is somewhat different from others. Here goes:

1. Dirty Laundry
2. Lilah
3. Long Way Home
4. Talking To The Moon
5. Nobody's Business
6. Them And Us
7. You Better Hang Up
8. La Eile
9. The Unclouded Day
10. I Can't Stand Still
11. Johnny Can't Read

SweetHolly
01-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Here's my ranking of the tracks
1. Talking To The Moon
2. Lilah
3. Long Way Home
4. The Unclouded Day
5. You Better Hang Up
6. Nobody's Business
7. I Can't Stand Still
8. Dirty Laundry
9. La Eile
10. Johnny Can't Read
11. Them And Us

sodascouts
01-21-2009, 07:16 PM
Isn't it ironic that Johnny Can't Read is close to the bottom (if not THE bottom) of all our lists, yet for some inexplicable reason, THAT is the song they chose to release as a single and shoot a video for!

Freypower
01-21-2009, 07:18 PM
I think JCR is a good idea, badly executed. I think the sentiments it expresses are interesting but the delivery is so heavy handed that the message gets blunted. I feel this way about some of my other least favourite Henley tracks, i.e. Shangri-La and The Genie.

EagleLady
01-21-2009, 07:20 PM
I loved the Johnny Can't read video. Good song.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
Soda,you are lucky to have that used CD store near you. Whenever my hubby and I travel, we are always on the look out for places that sell used CDs.:)

From visiting colleges with my son I have learned the best used cd stores are near colleges and Universities. My son ultimately went to Villanova. There are two great used CD Stores nearby: "Shady Dog" and "Gold Million". Both are located on Lancaster Avenue, one in Bryn Mawr, the other in Berwyn, both in PA.

There was a good used cd store near the University of Delaware Campus but I don't remember its name. I am surprised by watching my son and his friends how many of them are into vinyl. My son's Villanova room mate is now a graduate student at Purdue. On his last visit he told us about a great store near the Purdue campus. He and my son constantly send used vinyl and cds back and forth in the mail. They constantly chide me for having sold my record collection in the mid 90's and changing over to cd's.

We have also been to great used record and vinyl stores in Fairfield and New Haven, CT., Providence RI, College Station TX and Cambridge,MA.

Check out the colleges and Universities near your home and in your travels. You will be surprised at what you might find. Happy hunting.

TimothyBFan
01-22-2009, 08:21 AM
My 2 cents on Johnny Can't Read---Try listening to it and not have it going thru your head for hours afterward! It is one of those songs that sticks with you-catchy little tune! Maybe that's why it got released. I agree, not the one that should of been but could be they knew it was a "stick with you song". JMHO!

TimothyBFan
01-22-2009, 08:57 AM
From visiting colleges with my son I have learned the best used cd stores are near colleges and Universities. My son ultimately went to Villanova. There are two great used CD Stores nearby: "Shady Dog" and "Gold Million". Both are located on Lancaster Avenue, one in Bryn Mawr, the other in Berwyn, both in PA.

My son has already scoped out the used record stores close to IU in Bloomington and wants to try to fet a job at one of them. Mom is hoping he does and gets a discount also.:-P

Brooke
01-22-2009, 11:31 AM
My daughter is also in to vinyl and worked at a Waterloo, a huge record store in Austin for a while. You could always find something cool.

We have recently acquired a stack of old 45's from hubby's mother's collection. There's some good tunes in it, but alas, no Eagles.

TimothyBFan
01-22-2009, 11:39 AM
:idea: All this vinyl talk has given me a thread idea!

Stars
01-31-2009, 04:02 PM
I finally had a chance to finish listening to "I Can't Stand Still" this morning! Since we were away, I haven't had time to listen to any of my CDs, and it was great to hear the rest of it today.
I must say, I do like every song on the album, and I don't say this about very many albums! "Lilah" really hit me as a favorite immediately, although I had already heard the live version on the "Live Inside Job" dvd.
Although "End of the Innocence" is still my favorite of Don's solo albums, "I Can't Stand Still" comes in second!:applause:

Stars
01-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Just Another Hired Hand,
Thanks for the suggestions for used CD stores to visit! They are actually not too far from my home, as I live in Wilmington. The one near U of D may be Rainbow Records, as they have many used CDs there.
Next time we are in the Bryn Mawr/Berwyn area in PA, we will have to visit the stores you mentioned. I'm sure we will both find something we like there!:thumbsup:

Just Another Hired Hand
02-09-2009, 10:59 PM
\Thanks for the suggestions for used CD stores to visit! They are actually not too far from my home, as I live in Wilmington. The one near U of D may be Rainbow Records, as they have many used CDs there.
Next time we are in the Bryn Mawr/Berwyn area in PA, we will have to visit the stores you mentioned. I'm sure we will both find something we like there!:thumbsup:

Glad I could help, Stars. There is a really good record store in the 100 block of North 2nd Street in Philadelphia (Old City). It is called A K A Records. Just be careful where you park...I wouldn't want you talking bad about me if you got a ticket!

eaglesvet
02-09-2009, 11:20 PM
Finally got around to ordering this CD...can't wait to hear it!