PDA

View Full Version : President Barack Obama

EasyFeeling
01-20-2009, 01:19 PM
I didn't know where to post... congratulations to all Americans :yay: I'm watching right now here in Germany and many many other people too!

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 01:36 PM
I watched the inauguration online with some graduate students. Everyone was all smiles. I don't agree with all of Obama's policies, but the positivity of it... it did my heart good. I really hope all of America can get behind this man now that he is our President and work together.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-20-2009, 01:38 PM
I know there are a couple of other threads on the board about the new U.S. President, but now that he has taken his oath of office, I thought I would start an 'official' thread.

I know that all of us wish the new president well, as America embarks on a new beginning. It is my biggest hope that unity will be restored in the U. S. and throughout the world.

TimothyBFan
01-20-2009, 01:43 PM
What an amazing and inspirational day! A truly inspiring speech he gave! I sure hope that every one does rally around this president and has faith that he will bring this nation together and get us on the right track again!

EF--so true the whole WORLD is watching America today and probably for many many days and months ahead!

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 01:47 PM
Edited to add: I've merged the threads.

ticky
01-20-2009, 02:23 PM
I dont remember ever being as moved and awed at an inauguration, partly because of what President Obama said but also because of the reaction of the people.
Personally I think they should have had a "Get the Hell out of Dodge" ceremony for GWB maybe with Obama giving him a swift boot in the backside, *G* but I guess just having him out is a celebration.

I also loved the reception The Clintons got. *G* YEA BILL!

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 02:28 PM
Heck Yea I am so glad GWB is no longer president :partytime:

Prettymaid
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
I dont remember ever being as moved and awed at an inauguration, partly because of what President Obama said but also because of the reaction of the people.
Personally I think they should have had a "Get the Hell out of Dodge" ceremony for GWB maybe with Obama giving him a swift boot in the backside, *G* but I guess just having him out is a celebration.

I also loved the reception The Clintons got. *G* YEA BILL!

I was moved too, Ticky, but obviously for different reasons. Ours is one of the few countries that have a peaceful turnover of the office of president, whether it be from Democrat to Republican, or vice versa. Say what you want about the way President Bush ran the country, but he and his wife Laura are good, decent people who made the transition an easy one for the Obamas. And the new president and first lady seem to be equally gracious. My tears came when I saw these four people, who obviously disagree politically, embrace each other in mutual respect.

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
ITA, Cathy. I heard some people booing George Bush and I thought, "How tacky!" Why can't people just be positive and celebrate the moment? Leave the hatred behind. Bipartisan cooperation works both ways.

Freypower
01-20-2009, 06:35 PM
I haven't watched any highlights yet, but as a non-American I would like to congratulate President Obama & Vice-President Biden and wish them all the best in the tough times ahead. The world is with you, sir.

I would also like to wish George & Laura Bush a happy retirement. They deserve some time to themselves.

DonFan
01-20-2009, 11:28 PM
I have been watching the ceremonies and celebrations all day, and it has been amazing. The President's speech was one of the most inspiring inaugural speeches in recent memory. It was also quite a lovely moment when Beyonce sang Etta James' "At Last" for Barack and Michelle to take their first dance at the first ball. Beyonce's voice quivered with sincere emotion--very touching.
So far I have watched Sting (sporting dark brown hair and a full beard- ?) sing "Brand New Day," and I just saw Jon Bon Jovi sing at another ball.

I support our new president and hope he will truly unite our nation and bring us out of this recession.

tbs fanatic
01-21-2009, 01:02 PM
Had the TV on all day - very exciting. Didn't see much of the various Balls they went to in the evening but did catch a bit of The Prez being cozy with Michelle when they danced at the Youth Ball. Yep, he's one HOT Prez :nod::rofl:

sodascouts
01-21-2009, 03:04 PM
You didn't miss anything by not seeing the balls. I watched footage of the Obamas from a couple of them until I realized they were all the same - the same talking points, even the same dance moves done to the same song (I love "At Last" but still). Kind of anti-climactic!

Brooke
01-21-2009, 05:32 PM
I thought the ball coverage was very boring. I hoped to see some of the performers and celebrities that were there. Most of it was commentary by the press and just a bit of the Obamas dancing. I checked several stations and that was it. :(

ticky
01-21-2009, 05:59 PM
I thought the ball coverage was pretty boring unless you watched the Daily Show with John Stewart... THAT was not boring hehehehe.. juvenile and tasteless, but not boring. *G*

Freypower
01-21-2009, 06:02 PM
I did think it was fun at the Commander In Chief ball when they had some soldiers on a link from Afghanistan and he asked them all if they were Cubs or White Sox fans. The majority were Cubs and he's White Sox. (I was wearing my Chicago Bears T shirt at the time....)

One jarring note during the oath was when the Chief Justice said 'execute the office... faithfully' and Obama waited for him to correct himself (to 'faithfully execute') but he didn't and they talked over each other, so Obama seemed to just decide to repeat what he said. One person on a blog here wondered if the slip up meant there could be a 'challenge'.:doh:

I thought the speech was utterly inspiring, but I suppose I would. I loved it.

Just Another Hired Hand
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
One jarring note during the oath was when the Chief Justice said 'execute the office... faithfully' and Obama waited for him to correct himself (to 'faithfully execute') but he didn't and they talked over each other, so Obama seemed to just decide to repeat what he said. One person on a blog here wondered if the slip up meant there could be a 'challenge'.:doh:

I thought the speech was utterly inspiring, but I suppose I would. I loved it.

Oath or no oath, at noon Mr. Obama beacme POTUS (President of the U.S.) It is mandated by the 20th amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
The next challenge occurs November, 2012.

Good Luck President Obama!

eaglesvet
01-22-2009, 02:15 AM
I didn't know who had it right and who had it wrong when I heard it on the big screen in DC...I just know that it was quite surprising! Earlier tonight I read on MSNBC that initially the Chief Justice said it incorrectly, and that when Obama paused, the Chief Justice corrected himself but that Obama repeated the incorrect version anyway. :oops: To play it safe, on Weds. afternoon, the two of them repeated that little ceremony in private with only a few onlookers, but no press. I guess that they just wanted to get it right!

TimothyBFan
01-22-2009, 09:25 AM
I did think it was fun at the Commander In Chief ball when they had some soldiers on a link from Afghanistan and he asked them all if they were Cubs or White Sox fans. The majority were Cubs and he's White Sox. (I was wearing my Chicago Bears T shirt at the time....)

This was almost a breaking point for my husband-didn't know if he could vote for someone that supported the Sox instead of our beloved Cubs. :headshake:

BTW FP --I LOVE the fact you were wearing a Bears shirt!!!:thumbsup:

Prettymaid
01-22-2009, 09:34 AM
As refreshing as it is to have a younger person in office, they just don't dance as eloquently as the older guys, do they? I mean, he slow dances like I do (pretty badly). Seems like he would have gotten a few pointers beforehand, but I guess he was busy with other things! ;)

EagleLady
01-22-2009, 10:48 AM
He was Busy Being Fabulous :lol:

Brooke
01-22-2009, 11:46 AM
This was almost a breaking point for my husband-didn't know if he could vote for someone that supported the Sox instead of our beloved Cubs. :headshake:

:hilarious: This was almost a breaking point for us-the other way! If Obama had been a Cubs fan it would have all been over.

Prettymaid
01-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Well Willie, he isn't perfect! :hilarious:

Wildthyme
01-22-2009, 07:48 PM

Glad to see you have good taste in American football teams FP... Go Bears! (next season anyway)