PDA

View Full Version : Compensated Endorsements

Just Another Hired Hand
01-20-2009, 06:53 PM
In my most recent post in the band member section, I provided a couple of links about Joe walsh's endorsements of Carvin Guitars. It seems that Joe is not the only Eagle that is a Carvin Spokesman. I found this at the Carvin web site:

www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/03-basses.html (http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/03-basses.html)

Just Another Hired Hand
01-20-2009, 06:55 PM
Additionally, I found the following link which includes an interview with Tim B. Schmit:

http://www.carvinchannel.com/play.php?vid=127

Just Another Hired Hand
01-20-2009, 07:49 PM
Carvin Guitars is also making a DVD available about their business. On the DVD they interview some of the Carvin Family of artists. The link to request a DVD is:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/freedvd/

And today, Joe Walsh is their featured player at:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/

After I filled out the request for the DVD and submitted it, Timothy B. Schmit popped up as their featured artists.

Apparently the people at Carvin guitars are astute business people. They see the value of exploiting a couple of our favorites on their site.

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
How is promoting a good guitar exploiting?

Just Another Hired Hand
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
One of the general meanings of 'exploit' or 'exploitation' is to use something for 'any' purpose. I meant that Carvin was using super stars like Joe Walsh and Tim Schmit for the purpose of selling guitars. Nothing negative is intended by it. I myself am doing research to buy a new guitar. This information came up in the course of my search. I figured I'd share it with fellow Eagles fans here on "The Border". I admire the Carvin people for their portrayals and featurings of JW and TBS.

EagleLady
01-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Oh I see

sodascouts
01-20-2009, 08:19 PM
I appreciate the research you're doing, JAHH, and you posting your findings. I didn't get any negative impression from your statements at all.

MikeA
01-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Actually, that entire concept of exploitation could be turned around 180 degrees.

Does anyone think that Joe and TBS are gaga over Carvin instruments? Maybe they are. They certainly can afford anything they want from any manufacturer or Custom Shop or Luthier alive today.

I'm betting that Carvin is lining Joe's guitar cases in a lot of GREEN Benjamin's! That ought to make it worthwhile which would mean that Joe is exploiting his reputation to further his financial interests.

But wait, how can both be exploiting? I think it's just a win-win situation. And the prospective buyers can get some entertainment as they research their prospective purchases. And the fact that stars like Joe actually use the equipment during tours as highly photographed as LROE certainly lends credence to the endorsement.

Now if they were endorsing TRASH, that would be a different story. But I doubt that you'd see Joe endorsing anything like that for any amount of money.

Just my two-cents and that's about what it's worth :thumbsup:

Just Another Hired Hand
01-20-2009, 09:42 PM
Actually, that entire concept of exploitation could be turned around 180 degrees.

Does anyone think that Joe and TBS are gaga over Carvin instruments? Maybe they are. They certainly can afford anything they want from any manufacturer or Custom Shop or Luthier alive today.

:thumbsup:

By virtue of their reputation, I don't think they have to afford anything. I think they design, suggest or wish for an instrument and it appears.

Once again my "exploitation" of the word exploit has no negative connotations. Many years ago when I was a young business student studying marketing, we would train to "exploit" our well known spokes persons. I am "exploiting" this forum to make my point about using the word "exploit"!

TimothyBFan
01-21-2009, 08:57 AM
JAHH-Thanks so much for the link! I have a download of that picture but it's a lot smaller than that one! I have seen that interview about a gazillion times but still love to hear it.

As far as exploitation --I never took it that way either--for what's it's worth -which is really absolutely nothing!

Thanks again!

Just Another Hired Hand
02-15-2009, 05:07 PM
In an earlier post I mentioned an ad featuring Joe Walsh in Guitar Player Magazine. I just got this month's Guitar Player and Glenn Frey appears as a spokesman for Ernie Ball Guitar strings. I tried to scan both ads, but for some reason magazine paper doesn't scan well. I compromised by taking digital pictures of the ads. Magazine paper doesn't photograph too well either. I may try this again in the future, but for now I am offering the results.

The Joe Walsh ad is page 4 of the March 2009 edition.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/samm2659/DSCN1129a.jpg

The Glenn Frey ad is page 1 of the April 2009 edition.

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu97/samm2659/DSCN1159b.jpg

If some one knows a better way to share photos (from a magazine) I'd appreciate you passing it along. Thanks and enjoy!

sodascouts
02-15-2009, 05:50 PM
What happened when you tried to scan them? That's how I always do it.

Regardless, thanks for sharing these. They're great!

Just Another Hired Hand
02-15-2009, 10:11 PM
My scanner works like a copier. It involves the use of bright light. Because the magazine paper is glossy, the end result is an extremely washed out picture that looks like it was crumpled or rippled when it was copied. I am at the end of the light intensity adjustment. I checked Guitar Player online but they don't post their ads on their site. For a long time you didn't see many ads featuring the Eagles. Since the tour started I've found them or the individuals endorsing Carvin guitars, Carvin bass guitars, Takamine guitars and now Ernie Ball strings. So for now it's digital pictures...until I break down and buy a better scanner.

sodascouts
02-15-2009, 10:53 PM
I was thinking, since we've got photos of all the Eagles, that I'll move it to the Eagles forum. Doing so right now!

TimothysGirl
02-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Joe says Carvin is the only guitar that fits his large hand the way he likes it, and he likes the sound so I guess that is a reason to endorse their product and Timothy was curious about their product when they asked to make him a guitar and they let him design the guitar just the way he wanted it too! So like you said it's a win win situation:grooving:.

Glennsallnighter
02-22-2009, 09:11 PM
I have the same advertisement with Glenn :heart:'s quote in my newest copy of 'Accoustic Guitar'

sodascouts
02-22-2009, 10:19 PM
This is one of my favorite ads:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/GFreyTakamineAd.jpg

Glennsallnighter
02-23-2009, 05:51 PM
Oh Soda!!! Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiigh! :inlove:

Stars
02-23-2009, 06:32 PM
GA, I second that emotion!:iloveyou:

Glennsallnighter
03-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Well........I've just bought that last poster on eBay! :smile:

sodascouts
03-04-2009, 12:35 AM
You know, the funny thing is, I bought the magazine with that advertisement in it a while back because it had a Lindsey Buckingham article. Then, to my delight, I found that ad after I became a Frey fan. SIGH indeed!

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2009, 08:30 PM
Two for One so to speak Soda! Well done!